42 day challenge beginning 1 May

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
42 day challenge beginning 1 May

This topic contains 2,339 replies, has 109 voices, and was last updated by  back2thefuture 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,451 through 1,500 (of 2,344 total)

• Hi,
    Day # 27, California. NFD. So far so good. I’m thinking about my second FD for this week. I’ll probably do it on Sunday, not sure yet. This is going to be a long and serene weekend for me and my hubby. No visits, no eating out, no driving in traffic. Here in Southern Ca is very crowded on Memorial Day and I just want to relax this time. We’ll hike, eat home made food, take naps and play with the cat. I’ll knit with the cat in my lap, she’s mesmerized by the needles. 🙂

Have a great weekend!

Day 27 Midwest (usa). having a good FD (it’s nearly 2pm).

realizing the mistakes i made on Sunday:

it’s much harder for me to have FD on weekend when i have so many demands from children and husband and so much easier on a weekday when i can drink GALLONS of water / hot water with lemon at my desk and have easy access to bathroom to pee all day 🙂

GALLONS of water / tea, help keep my energy physical and mental up.

i also know what the big challenge is: having a measured small dinner (with family who are eating more ‘normally’ and then getting the hell out of the kitchen and going for a walk….

Coda i like your idea that it doesn’t matter how many times we fall off the wagon we can ALWAYS get back on. I know that feeling of disappointment (despair?) at the scale. . . . like you said, its the daily effort we put in that counts. That’s what will help us over the long run.

I’m keeping a running note of my FD’s so i can learn from my mistakes.

Courage to anyone who’s struggling today. Coda was right: its all about drinking GALLONS and keeping moving.

p.s thanks for the tip Coda i didn’t realize you’d asked us to post daily including non FD’s

USA Day 27
    Third FD of this week. If I don’t quite stay under 400 cal that’s ok, I’ll think of it as a partial FD.
    Wonderful post, Coda. So many great ideas! Would you please sign me in for Day 28 and Day 29 as well, Coda? Thanks! Have a great and successful weekend, everyone!

Day 28 Aus. A quick check in. Loving your posts.

Day 27 Wisconsin, USA. You had better believe that when my sons’s party is over, and company is gone, I will be getting up to speed on everyone’s posts. I want to comment on things, and thank you for kind words from yesterday’s post.

But I am in deep at the moment. Of course, as I am preparing for party, there is crisis at work. To be expected.

NFD today. Losing about a pound a week. I feel great!!!!

2nd post today: Coda – love the post! Will read this one over and over ….such good “food for thought!” Thank you so much. Despite my rough day this past week (Coldpizza I too am still having a raging battle and trying to keep it under control – …..hoping to keep it all in check this weekend.), for my regular weigh in this morning I was down again this week so YAY! Will take measurements again at the end of next week (will have been almost 30 days since last measurements). Think I will do a FD on Sunday since I won’t be able to do one tomorrow, trying to keep up with 3 a week.

Hi Northern dawn noted thanks for letting me know.

Who is this Seth Peterson? Seems to be posting on a few threads in this forum and seems to be, by my quick look advertising or asking people to sign up to something. His post is the same on a few different threads. Go by his own post if it seems to be too good to be true it is. I would stay clear and I will be reporting his post.

My OH says to tell the ones that mentioned and recommended Shakshuka he thought it was very tasty and says thanks lol.

Day 27 FD (Illinois, USA) I’m doing the only black coffee and water until early afternoon 1 apple then full 400-450 calories at supper.

I am at a plateau of having lost 10 lbs. since starting 5;2 March 15. I’m happy there, but still want to lose 10-15 more. I did Curves this morning on nothing but coffee, and it felt okay. Curves for me isn’t too strenuous, but was certainly better than nothing!

Coda, I will be game for starting the next challenge on July 1 as well!

Aussie day 28 once again great advice from Coda so next time i feel like a chocolate bar i will get on my exercise bike first then see if i still want it. 400g loss this week but 3.6 kilo all up I am happy with that Pat on the back to all of us for sticking with it couldn’t do this without you lovely people.

Hi again – norrieb start where we are – day 27 uk (as on this challenge) even though you are only starting 5:2 it helps me keep track when we are all on same page. Thanks

Dutch you may not read this till Monday but one of my sons is over in your part of the country. He is playing in Amsterdam rugby 7’s.

I read in one of Jason Vales books about a woman who he knew who was trying his 7 day juice only plan. She rang him up and said I really want some chocolate. He said go ahead have it and put the phone down. She rang back and said what do you mean but I don’t want it. Why tell me to have it. He said don’t have it then but she said I want it. You see where this is going. He called it a mental tantrum for the things she really didn’t want to have. Your decision, your choice make them good ones.

US SE day 27.. FD. Away till Sunday. Coda could you check me in for tomorrow too please? Have a good weekend all!

UK day 27 fd today, felt a bit wobbly at lunch and i dont usually eat until about 5pm but i had a bowl of peppered couscous (half of cals allowed) which got me through to 6pm for an quorn chicken omelette. Yum!

ABC loved reading your post and hearing your story. I went to uni and have a BA hons in social work. I have enjoyed it so far but since being pregnant and having my baby boy i feel much more strongly about the issues involved and think I am going to step away for a while. I am a great believer of following what makes you happy and this comes in lots of shapes and sizes!!! (pun intended 😀)

Coda, thank you for your inspirational post. I really enjoyed reading it and will definitely use the tips!

I see lots of people seem to have odd moments when a fast day seems too much. I have a real issue with trying to justify my binging!E.g. If ive got a busy day i cant possibly fast because i need fuel, when in reality i manage just fine!!! In my case i am finding the 5:2 a welcome distraction from problems at home. I have to go back to work at the end of my maternity leave and we had agreed for my mother-in-law to look after baby but now the reality is here and ive seen her with him, i do not want it to happen. My sister is a much better fit in my mind and cares for him in a very similar way to me which is what i want. Just need to break it to everyone else which wont be easy……but it has taken a huge weight off my shoulders to realise this needs to happen.

I have a query? Does this website recalculate our tde when we update our entries in the tracker or do we need to do it ourselves???

Day 26 UK 2nd post. Wow what an amzing group so many interesting posts! great ieas and encouragement. I believe that I’m within my new TDEE buf I feel so full this evening, so I’m going to fast til lunch tomorrow, I have friend staying so can’t fast though feel my body needs to.
    Thank you Coda for your long post, so helpful. Does any one feel really cold since starting 5.2?
    Good luck all, stay strong!

U.K. Day 27.
    Today was my third weigh in and I lost a pound – so that’s 16 in total. I’ve also lost around 5 inches from my waist! This wool is really suiting me!

Good morning from South Australia Day 28

I went for a walk yesterday on my FD and it was beautiful. It was cold and rainy and refreshing and also during my walk I went into my favourite 2nd hand clothes shop and found a super expensive designer skirt for almost nothing that fitted. So two reasons to be happy. Do other 42 day challengers have a look round 2nd hand shops where things are donated to charities? We call them Op Shops in South Australia.

I have also decided to throw out some more accumulated stuff from my house including a large bag of old weight loss magazines. I was leafing through them fascinated that the advice they were giving was almost the exact opposite of what I am now doing, snack regularly, only eat low fat foods, breakfast is vital, carbs give you energy etc.

I hope you all have a great 5:2 day and Onwards and Downwards

Well I did ended up having a FD. And I had planned a dinner but then my husband text that he’s picking up Chinese. Will partake. I have about 400 calories left. I ended up going for a walk/run (I do intervals) and feeling much better today!

Australia Day 28 NFD – shopping first, then yoga, then lunch at a food and wine festival, then go to a rugby game with friends, then go to town to see another festival. What a day! 🙂 Have a good weekend all.

Hello everyone
    Northern Spain here.
    Just finished another fast day and feel better than yesterday.
    Ate 1 main meal at midday and it was pure comfort food – all 500 calories of it.
    Fish fingers, beans, an egg and a slice of toast.
    Everything was grilled poached and oven cooked.
    Needless to say that it was delicious.
    Looking forward to the weekend and some rest.
    Hope you all have a great weekend
    Cheers

Quebecoise– Love your description of your sweet doggy!
    I’m a huge fan of rescue pups. They tend to be so happy to finally have a Forever Home.
    Thank you for adopting!!

Hi DebbieQ noted

Rocy65 I have checked you as on day 27 well now 28 as it is past midnight and now 28th may. Doesn’t matter if you joined later. Yes feeling cold on fast days seems to be a common phenomenon (thank goodness for predictive text).

I see the post from Seth disappeared not long after I reported it. Did anyone else see it?

Ni nite from me x

I saw it Coda and didn’t click on the link because I figured it was advertisement.

Australia – Day 28 – 14 days to go of challenge 🙂

Hello, I am so excited. I weighed in today as I am eating today, and only weigh in after a fast day. So this week I fasted Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. And I have lost 1.4kgs!!! Crazy. I am so happy. My weight goal for this challenge was to lose 4kgs and I am now only 300grams off it! With 2 weeks to go it feels doable!

Starting weight of challenge: 84kgs Weekly Loss: 1.4kg Current weight: 80.3kg.
    Fasts: 14 Non fasts: 14

2nd post of day- I must be changing behaviours at last! We went to the wine and food festival but none of it looked worth the calories so ended up having a raw tuna salad and green tea at one of our favourite Japanese restaurants. Who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks! 🙂

UK day 28 NFD but need to be mindful as weekends tend to be my danger zone
    Qsue yes I’m with you I love a second hand bargain, we call them charity shops here in the UK and you can get some really lovely stuff. Useful as well if like me you have a lot of weight to lose, I can buy things and hopefully use them as transition clothes, and then re-donate them when they are too big. That’s the plan, anyway.
    Some lovely news on this thread this morning, ETJ well done on that loss, and Hannah on resisting the unhealthy food and wine, you must be so pleased!
    Weighing day so will check back in later planning to take the Coda approach and focus on the fact that my watch now turns right round on my wrist rather than what the scales tell me

Pacific NW. USA: Day 27 (just barely still day 27) NFD – splurge day

Well actually, it was a rare day of family dining out for both lunch and dinner.and while I stayed true to my new WOL I consciously chose to have the first wine in a month and to sample each course. I have no guilt because I only put “clean” food in my mouth – even if it was over TDEE. I’m not panicking because I can use tomorrow as a fast day while I run off extra energy following the dictates of my toddler granddaughter. I wanted to share this because it was the first real test I’ve had since joining 5:2 and I know this splurge won’t be the beginning of a cascade of days/months of losing control, it was just a one-off celebration of good food and family. That’s my new found healthier WOL no matter the numbers on the scale or tape measure!

It is now 11:45 PM and fatigue is demanding that I wait to catch up on all your entries. I look forward to that tomorrow when baby is napping! Health to you all!

France Day 28

K-Lo how wonderful to have such a family gathering. We are having a rare family gathering in early June. My daughter has been teaching in Colombia for the last two years, and my son has been working his sox off completing his Phd, so we have not been together for two years. My grandson will also be coming so we will be a full house for a very precious three days.

Our wider family are cast upon the waves of life, and since I have been doing the family tree, I have been contacting many of them just to say hello. I went to visit my great nephew in the Lake District, with my niece and her husband, and my great nephew in Sheffield, and his Mum, this past year, but I have a great great nephew waiting for my visit eventually, I hope before he gets his first tooth!

Minols, I wasn’t planning on getting buried any day soon, but if I think it might be imminent, I will be on the look out for a patchwork quilt! It is a great idea.

Big welcome to NorrieB from Surrey. You will have heard that once we have finished this challenge we will reconvene after a short break to support each other some more on July 1st, so you are not late at all. You are at the start of something really good!

I have been looking into the value of coconut oil. It seems a wonderful product. I imported a tin from the UK. It has a shift life of only one month after opening which is odd because the Internet states a shelf life of 18 months. Mine has been in the fridge and still looks bright white. Dare I use it?

Meli, you must do what you think is right for you and baby. I guess the only problem is telling mother in law? Start with thank you and a big friendly smile, before saying that it won’t be necessary after all, since your sister is doing it. Then all feathers should remain unruffled.

Clothes recycling is pretty rare in France, but it would be useful. I have new stuff bought for summer here that I haven’t used, but that is already too big. I have a nice Jaeger dress I was hoping to slim into but that is too big too. It is great discovering my body from under years of lard!

Hi abc1 I don’t even keep my cocount oil in fridge unless weather is really hot when it turns to liquid. Mine doesn’t have a shelf life date? If you are really worried to eat it use it as a moisturiser or as make up remover. I keep a little pot in my bathroom and some in my bedroom and then in the kitchen for cooking.

I’m in! Im nearly 50, menopausal and looking for motivation. Not joined anything like this before and not comfortable texting but need something different due to busy life.

Hi Heato welcome – do you know the drill? if you look back a few posts I explained them but if not sure I will explain later as I’m on my way out – or if any others on challenge would like to explain? We have 2 weeks left of this challenge and don’t worry a lot of us had never joined anything like this before or posted – just jump in!

Australia, day 28, nonFD

Good on you all those who had various off 5:2 experiences and got back onto it straight after those times are over. Yes your weight will go up a bit, but if you hit it with 5:2 fast and hard it will go back down quickly. Do a FD straight a2ay, and then for the next 2 days count your calories if you can only eaing things that are low cal and low glycaemic index. Don!t ea any starchy carbs eg foods from any grains, corn, peas, potatoes, pumpkin, sweet potato, rice, cous cous(it’s wheat). That means no pasta, bread, bisciuts, cookies, cakes, crackers etc. then do your next FD again sticking to the no starchy carbs, low cal, low GI .During these 4 days eat in a 16:8 pattern i.e. Eat within an 8hr window e.g 12 noon to 8pm or 1pm to 9pm. I have this theory that if it goes on quickly it can be got off quickly as well. It’s when you get discouraged by your days off 5:2 and continue eating out of 5:2 tha the weight will stay on and grow.

Great post Coda, lots of wisdom for us all.

In my 19 mths on 5:2 I have had about 3 or 4 of those “wanting to stuff my mouth with everything in sight” days. I don’t know why it is, but it’s very different to those “i just really want to eat that…..because I miss it” or whatever. Again, Imhave a theorynthat it’s those days where for some reason our body is really using up stored energy in fat very quickly , and our body wants to replace it. Again a good strategy is to keep as busy as you can, distract yourself as much as possible, drink lots of water, peppermint tea or someother hot no cal drink, eat quantity in low cal low GI food, clean your teeth occasionally, make what you eat very spicy, especially with chilli.

Onwards and downwards!
    Merry

Re lots of water, remember that as your quantity of food is reduced so is the amount of fluid that you are taking in, as we take in lots of our fluid from the food we eat, and thanhas to be replaced as well as the usual fluid we drink.

Switzerland – Day 28 – NFD
    Can’t shake this grotty bug, so plenty of liquids and another blah day for me. Can smell someone nearby starting up a barbecue, so I guess I should think about lunch for the kids…
    Meli – I wasn’t sure anyone responded to your query about TDEE. Yes, the tracker updates it for you, but you have to go into ‘View my Progress’ to find it, listed underneath the chart in the entry you just submitted. Also gives you Waist/Height ratio, which is usually quite cheery to see!

Day 28….as per suggestion, thanks Coda! There is an interesting new awareness of what goes into my mouth, and what I have been allowing to go into my mouth. Once again, it is my choice and I know if at some point I really feel like having something ridiculous I can, but right now I choose not to. Had some cereal with a bit of fruit salad and milk this morning for breakfast, and actually stopped when I felt it was enough, going against a fairly strong habit that one ‘must clear the plate’ otherwise it is wasting…so dish up less next time! Still doing a bit of weighing and measuring on the non fasting days, so that I can get some idea of what quantities I have been consuming. Working this way allows one to become informed, and knowledge is power.

Day 28 Brasil, 😃😃😃😃

Day 28 UK as an avid charity shop rummager I was pleased to hear others do the same, seems a waste to spend lots on clothes I’m hoping are not going to last too long . I’m so pleased with my weight loss of 9lbs on this challenge that although iIl be staying on track for the rest of this challenge and any further weight loss would be brilliant I’m now thinking that if I can stay stay at this weight until then that would do me for now – might think differently tomorrow but as so many of you have said I need to adopt this for ever not look for short term fixes .look forward to having a good leisurely catch up tomorrow as I’ve had to skim through the last couple of days

Day 28 Illinois (USA) NFD – Yeah! Finally the scale changed! Down 2#. I am always happy to wake up and weigh in on the day following a FD. These ought to be the only ones that count.

US/Day 28 – quiet, gloomy Saturday here. Since starting this challenge (May 1 to May 30) down 7lbs. Since starting 5:2 (Aprill 11 to today) down 13 lbs. So close to a number I’ve not seen on the scale in 25 years! Have a ways to go yet but really think that long term, this IS the plan that will get me there (along with all the other health benefits that come with it). NFD today but plan to eat near or less than TDEE. FD tomorrow (already have a beautiful veggie/chicken kebob for the grill and a side salad!). Iced cinnamon coffee and shredded wheat w/almond milk for breakfast before workout. Yum!

Hola a todos! !!
    Nothern Spain here.
    Went for a 2 hour walk by the beach this morning and it was really relaxing.
    It made me reflect on this challange of ours.
    We can fast 2 or 3 days of the week or whatever but if we don’t incorporate exercise on a regular basis, those extra kilos won’t move.

I know that this is obvious but for me personally trying to find time to exercise is almost impossible. My twins are teenagers, I work full time and meanwhile the shopping and housework need doing.
    The older I get the more I appreciate the importance of a balanced diet and exercise.
    That said, I made a very healthy chicken stir fry with boiled rice for everyone and it was devoured.
    This evening we are out for dinner with friends and I feel great as if I were in control. I haven’t had that feeling for a while and it’s great.
    Good luck everyone

Day 28 Cotswolds UK: Fast Day. I’ve slotted in an extra fast day because I want to see the scales move (they’re stuck) and because I was grumpy and ate too much yesterday. I always go for an evening walk since starting this challenge, keeps me from snacking! Today the church tower was open for the public, 204 steps, great exercise and decent views over town and beyond. Also, my knees didn’t hurt at all….is my arthritis improving? I will eat in an hour, after 24 hours of water only.
    Racy65, like you I also feel cold on fast days.

Just checking in again, I have lost 1.5 lb this week, very pleased!

Uk Day 28

I agree Ciren2 and Racy65 – I feel cold as well on a fast day. Well yesterday’s NFD did not go great so its a good job that I’ve been in the garden for most of the day and have only eaten around half of my TDEE because I just didn’t fancy it.

I have to say Coda – last night it was late when I suddenly realised that I hadn’t posted. I thought of waiting until this morning but then I remembered the pledge – I didn’t want to incur the wrath of Coda lol xx Tomorrow is is my first FD of the week – I am struggling to fit two in this week unless I go for the weekend.

California, day #28, FD today. I ate too much yesterday evening and was not mindful at all. Not good. 🙁 That’s why I fast today.

I’m thinking about next week, I’ll try to fast 3 days instead of 2. I gained some weight back and I really want to get rid of it until June 11.

Québec, day 28
    FD
    My situation is exactly the same as Melilotus. I could just copy and paste her post.
    I ate too much last night. I don’t like the feeling. I haven’t felt like that for a long time now and I don’t wish to feel like that again. Wash, uncomfortable.

Today I will eat soup and vegetables and drink water and tea.

Nice day to you all, wherever you are on this small planet.

Day 28– Colorado, USA

You guys have got me curious about charity shops (like Good Will? Salvation Army?)
    I’ve donated tons of household goods, clothing & sports gear over the years… I feel strongly about aiming for minimalism now & keeping things out of land fill. Seems I should actually venture in, to see what’s there & buy used/recycled next time a need comes up!

Today is NFD. My husband surprised me with movie tickets because the weather is yucky so we aren’t hiking or biking. We only go out to movie theaters maybe once every 2 or 3 years. I’m splurging on buttery movie popcorn! Cannot wait.

rlw66, I admire you for working out 60 minutes every day!
    I should do that.

yesterday FD went well consumed bet 500-600 calories only
    but today is not fasting day,so eating normally not counting calories,I figured it out if I count calories I end up eating more,but once I eat very normally and never think I am on diet then i just consume moderate amount,is there anybody feel the same?
    I will come again here on Tuesday,since weekend is very busy time for me at job with traveling..etc,and this makes my fasting plan harder but we can do it 🙂
    I will be fasting on Tuesday and i will post on Tuesday since can not access my computer or phone during job at weekends
    wish everyone happy dieting and wonderful weekend and wish all you get what are you looking for diet wise and life wise in every aspect:)

Quebecoise- thank you. I never used to exercise. 2 years ago I joined a club and started doing water aerobics (because I couldn’t do anything else) and over the past year have worked up to the “land” classes and have now found a set of classes I LOVE !!! I have also realized that I love group fitness. that is what gets me there everyday to workout. I also have the benefit of being a stay-at-home mom ….when I worked full time I NEVER worked out. Sending positive motivating thoughts your way! 🙂

Day 28 California USA. Checking in on my lunch break at work. Planning to stay within my TDEE this weekend with a fasting day on Monday. I am working all the way thru to Tuesday, no parties/BBQ’s to tempt me this Memorial weekend.

Have a great weekend!

USA day 28:
    NFD today. NFD’s till Tuesday actually. Enjoying the weekend with family. Eating mindfully and below TDEE. Monday we are going to dinner at a friends house..so that’s something to be thinking of for me.
    Coda, please count this as my Day 29 check in as well.

UK day 28 – definitely a NFD…Church BBQ and then my house guest’s final creamy offering. The good news is that we had it with courgette ‘spaghetti’ instead of pasta.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,451 through 1,500 (of 2,344 total)

You must be logged in to reply.