42 day challenge beginning 1 May

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
42 day challenge beginning 1 May

This topic contains 2,339 replies, has 109 voices, and was last updated by  back2thefuture 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,401 through 1,450 (of 2,344 total)

• Day 26 in Los Angeles. Thanks to everyone (again) for boosting my resolve every time I read your posts here. Edzeko, your journal entry touched me and means a lot to me. Today is a FD for me and I will make it through just fine. Because I know I can.

Day 26 Northern California. Today is a FD. I am hoping to save my calories for dinner. It is nearly 1 pm so I am good so far with drinking water and tea. Tomorrow is my official weigh in day and hoping to have no gains. It’s the season for celebrations – graduations, retirements, birthdays, and holidays. I am just hoping to keep things in check and still enjoy some cake.

Edzeko – thank you for your words, I really needed to read them today.
    Wishing everyone a successful Day 26!

Day 26 Cornwall UK. thankyou edzeko for your wise words. Nfday today, an early bike ride followed by gardening. I had to recalcuate my Tdee,, very pleased.my bmi is down from 28.4 to 26.5!! Really pleased, started to dig out some size 12 jeans, so good that they fit, also a size smaller bra, not cup thankfully! I feel so in control of my eating, stopping when full and leaving food on my plate, unheard of!! A busy social few days ahead but I’m confident about sticking to my Tdee.

Coda well done you! Let us know how you do. Thank you so much for this challenge.

Abc cycling is really best exercise for knees! When I was diagnosed with arthritis in my hips and knees the consultant told me to get on an exercise bike every day, so I bought one and I love it. Love cycling out and about best though!! Really does help knees and hips.

Good luck everyone, Onwards and downwards!

Day 27 Aus.

Coda congratulations on sitting the maths exam. I’ve been pushing myself to complete a very dry course on economics I started on Open Uni. I much preferred the courses I’ve completed on successful aging and Nutrition as Medicine. I can also relate to the pole ‘standing’. What a thrill and sense of accomplishment. I did it in my late 40s as a challenge and am now looking forward to tree surfing and I’m in my mid 60s! I’m grateful to 5:2 that I’m fit and healthy. I’d never have contemplated doing it before.

Wishing everyone a successful NFD or FD. Onwards and downwards or maintain.

2nd post of the day….Coldpizza you and I posted at the same time this morning and I as soon as I read yours I thought “ha! Well, someone else feels just like I do!” …and in reality I know many do at times, it’s just this morning it really hit me – because I too feel like I work so hard to lose what I am and in one or two days it seems I can destroy it. I know I need to NOT focus on the numbers and I’ll get there.

Edzeko – love love love the post. Thank you!

Dollybird and others …..thank you so much for the encouragement….just coming here and reading a couple times a day really does help me to “stay the course”.

I don’t seem to have trouble on fast days staying to 500 (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less) …it’s the NFD where I go off the rails ….this I shall continue to work on.

Off to grill chicken and vegetables for light dinner …..have a good day/night all.

Aussie day 27 yesterday’s FD only lasted till lunch just too hungry so FD today.

UK day 26 just checking in briefly, nfd today, busy at work and then out at choir this evening. I think a few of us are singers? Love it, I always come home feeling calmed, and I also kid myself that singing is good for my core. Fasting tomorrow, and then a bank holiday weekend to relax.

Australia Day27 NFD weigh in day – can’t believe it, I lost 2 kgs! Given I put 1kg back on last week it means I am back on track. Yesterday was a FD and it was the hardest I have done. I was so hungry all day but it was worth it. Now to try and not go mad n the weekend. This is always my downfall. Happy Friday all.

Hi Edzeko, Coldpizza and RLW – i must apologise. I was in a hurry this morning and checked in before catching up on the overnight posts. I am sorry if my post was thoughtless. Re Coldpizza and RLW – dont sweat the small stuff. I binged last week and put a kilo back on but was back on track this week and lost weight. This is for life. Be kind to yourselves and as Edzeko says dont judge yourselves by what you see in the mirror.
    Edzeko – i also have several sisters and we have all struggled with our weight. We grew up eating very healthy food but none of us were in to exercise as kids. Most of my sisters are now fit and healthy and the last two of us are now on the path. No-one has ever thought less of the others for their weight – we have always openly admired each others’ strengths. Any concern re excess weight has been driven by health concerns.
    I dont know if any of this makes sense. I just want to say i am with you all the way. 🙂

Day 26, Brazil

Above TDEE today!!!

Good morning from South Australia Day 27
    ColdPizza and riw66 if you really get stuck into binging and self sabotage I suggest you have to organise your environment in the very best way you can. Keep tempting trigger foods out of the house. If you are binging just put the food in the bin instead of in you as soon as possible. Do this even if it is a basic foodstuff like sliced bread and you have to go out the next day and buy a new loaf. Having to go and buy the new loaf in itself is a powerful activity. I find organising my environment my best strategy to stop binging which has always been a huge problem for me as well. Why we do these things I have no idea and it is so frustrating when we are trying to get healthier. Now I have banned ice cream from the house I can binge on enormous amounts of full fat plain youghurt straight from the big container and get the same feeling of comfort. To stop this I now buy the same youghurt in small containers, it is more expensive but if it means I can’t binge then it is well worth it.

Another binging strategy is that I also give myself organised treats so I don’t feel deprived and a further strategy is to journal my binges and list what foods I ate and what circumstances started the binge, what to do next time etc etc. But I do find organising my environment the best method for me.

Coda well done with the Maths fantastic. I have begun Latin in my dotage and am enjoying it so much.

Edzeko what you said about women feelings was so true. I don’t feel much different in terms of my looks and I certainly can’t do anything about my age but I do feel much healthier for 5:2 WOE. You have a loving supportive network happening which is wonderful.

I have a FD today so I must summon up some resolve. I will start with a pot of excellent coffee.
    All the best to everyone and onwards and downwards

UK day 26, my day 25 post seems to have disappeared into the abyss so apologies for that! Thank you for all the congratulations, people are starting to notice my weight loss which is always lovely when accompanied by a compliment!

Thanks all for the variety of posts, some very touching, some informative and others rather comical! Coda hope you had a lovely birthday! New challenge sounds good and i think it will be interesting to have this 3 week gap to go it alone!!!

Off to bed, night all!

Day 26– Colorado, USA

Good day so far today: coffee with cream fro breakfast. Broccoli-cheddar soup for lunch. Dinner will be grilled burgers (no bun), side salad & eggplant casserole. I’m looking forward to that dinner!

We had a really bad hail storm this afternoon. Was really glad I’d gotten home from my bike ride & walking my dog early enough to be safely inside. The noise frightened my cat, so he’s curled up tightly in my lap now. I sure do love my fur-babies!

Day 26 (again)

Dutch– thank you for sharing that quote “Healthy people have tons of wishes, ailing people have only one wish.”

So very true! I suffered from an autoimmune disorder for years. And I can’t say how grateful I am that it is in remission now & I am off all medications.
    This diet (no wheat, no gluten, no sugars plus Low Carb/ High Fat) has made me the healthiest I have felt in many years! Adding 5:2 is helping me peel away the extra pounds so I enjoy exercising again!

I wish all the best to those changing their diets & their lives in order to achieve relief & health. Bless us all in this quest!

USA day 26 Minnesota USA 1750 NFD Staying just under TDEE at this time. Good luck to everyone. I’ve tried twice to get on the thread. No luck. Best to everyone.

USA day 26 Minnesota USA 1750 NFD Staying just under TDEE at this time. Good luck to everyone. I’ve tried twice to get on the thread. No luck. Best to everyone!

Have no idea why that was a duplicate post. I’m very sorry for that if it was something within my control. Again, sorry and best of luck to you and yours..

So I mentioned in an earlier post that yesterday was the hardest FD I’ve had to date and now even though I have had a lovely little frittata for breakfast and a HUGE black coffee I am really, really hungry. The last 26 days have been relatively easy with just our social lifestyle on weekends making life difficult, not hunger – why has this hunger hit now? Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

USA day 26, yesterday was supposed to be my fasting day,I started it great and consumed only 400-500 calories but then at night dinner time I do not know why I felt I need to eat regular dinner with family so I broke the fasting but I regret it and felt horrible,I do not know why yesterday I felt much in lack of energy so I decided to break the fast and that’s was fine and I said let me forgive myself today and eat normally but not much but I ended up eating lots lots lots and lots of calories and I gained back all the hard work I did before..ahhh, very stupid action from me I know.

but I try to be positive and I flipped up the page and today is my regular non fasting day as I could not fast today because I do not want to change the routine scheduled days for fasting,,so finger crossed for my fasting day tomorrow

I always never had any problem in fasting days except yesterday was feeling so much in need to eat normally and that was fine but I ended up not eating normally but eating much much like I was in a starvation and suddenly be offered a food !!!!!! very crazy I know
    any way ,wish everyone happy healthy fasting and dieting:)

Australia, day 27, nFD

Thank you Qsue and hannahwatto …truly appreciate the thoughts and suggestions (and others !!)

Québec, end of day 26

My FD is over. It went well. I had only liquids and had a little nap around 4 pm to help get over my hunger.
    My dinner was really simple but delicious : an omelette made with egg whites in witch I added Mexican salsa. Really yummy and very low calories.

If possible, I will fast again on Saturday.

Good night or good morning, depending on your place on this small earth.

France Day 27 NFD

Sorry, I didn’t head up the day on my post yesterday.

It is the middle of the night, I am awake, and have had enough sleep. Really I haven’t got enough input for my brain to be comfortable and so it dredges up drivel. Eventually I decided to have a cup of tea.

I am sat here in the very silent dark night reading all your posts. It is like you are all here with me. It is that time just before the birds start to sing.

Coda it is wonderful that you are taking an exam that daunted you in your life when you were younger. Such a feeling of accomplishment to overcome hurdles we stumbled around when we were younger.

When I was sixteen my mother refused to let me stay at school. She believed that I should get out and earn a wage like other folk, and that I had “ideas beyond my station” in my wish to stay on at school. Her opinion was delivered in a rant, like most of her opinions concerning me. She used to be very aggressive, and unkind at times. Looking back, I wonder if she suffered from premenstrual tension.

So I went to work in a bank where I sat at a stained table in the canteen stamping the word “Paid” on cheques all morning. Then, with no training, was expected to file them all afternoon. It was miserable and soul destroying, but I had a dream to go to university, and I did evening classes every night after work.

I did get to teacher training college which was a revelation in meeting people from the south, when I came from the north of England.

I never did make university. Throughout my life I always felt ashamed that I did not make it. I also began to believe that I was some sort of lesser mortal, and was not really capable of such things. I also had no funds to actually try.

Once I was retired I took a one month language teachers course, and found that this could be counted towards a degree. I also found that because I was now relatively poor, I could actually do the degree for very little money.

It took two years to do my Open University Degree, by distance learning, and so now I have the Batchelor of Science (hons) which would have been so useful to me during my career. I am to graduate in October in Edinburgh. I want to have a new dress for this, and I must be slim to wear a dress.

My weight is still going down. I made dhal with spinach yesterday, and it was really hard not to eat another portion. I think slimming is far harder than doing the degree.

Despite what the President says, we still have limited fuel locally. We are allowed 20 euros worth at the pumps. I have to drive a 45 kilometre round trip to get this.

The birds have started to sing, I am going back to bed.

Australia – Day 27 – 15 days to go of challenge 🙂

Hello. Doing back to back fasting today, as tomorrow I have to be up very early. It’s funny. I was freaking out more about having to fast starting really early in the morning, than back to back fasting, so decided to just get on and do it today. Been baking fairy cakes this morning as I had promised the kids, but resisted temptation. I can always have one tomorrow 🙂

Fasts 14 – Non Fasts – 13

Day 26, Illinois USA – was a travel NFD for me back home from Utah. Even though I could not count calories from my traveling meals, I do believe I stayed within my daily allowance, even with a nice glass of Shiraz at lunch.

ABC – Fascinating story – hope and pray you were able to get back to sleep and are coping well enough with your limited fuel. I also did online learning to get further degrees when I was still teaching. I am now retired. Some people say it doesn’t count like brick and mortar schools do, but I highly disagree. It is impossible to be lost in a large class online!

I am so hungry and really, really want a pastry or biscuit but have forced myself to eat carrot and celery sticks. I’m not enjoying them though! 🙂

Anonymous

NL day 27

NFD
    Thanks to every one of you for posting your successes and downfalls of 5:2. It makes me feel kinda normal too :-)) as I’m going through much of the same.
    It’s really interesting also to read personal stories of past and present; of determination and perseverance; of happy and sad; of countris far abroad and daily life there. Wow! Thank you!
    Coda, I might not be able to post tomorrow. Be back on monday.
    Have a great weekend all!!

UK Day 27 – FD…or at least trying to do one without house guest noticing!
    ABC thanks for your post. I have two ‘normal’ degrees, my husband has none…he knows so much more than I about how to make day to day life work, how to stick at things, how to find satisfaction in the work of his hands. I’ve also done some distance learning…hardest thing ever! I’m quite a keen patchworker, and it always seems to me that the most interesting lives/quilts are those pieced together from experiences/fabrics from all over. Start one thing, do it for the rest of your life, never go anywhere or experience anything out of the ordinary, and you’ll have something resembling a flat sheet as your shroud – if you have to get buried, get buried in a patchwork quilt!

Day 27– Colorado, USA

Wow! These last 2 pages of posts are jam-packed with interesting stories: Wonderful supportive sisters (along with maybe some more sabotaging family types.) Tough moments leading to binges, then some great advice offered. Continuing education & earning late-in life degrees! What a fascinating group.
    Thanks all for opening up & sharing!

Doing 16:8 on my NFD today. Nothing till lunch break (light salad with tuna.) Then a normal dinner later.

UK day 27 NFD but long weekend this week so just need to try and stay mindful with my choices, busy day today catch you all later x

US, Day 27, greetings from Adirondack State Park where the battery on the scale or the alleged altitude is playing mind games on me. No I have not lost two pounds since leaving NJ.

Today, May 27, is my parents’ wedding anniversary….their 66th. My mother died 6 weeks shy of their 59th. Dad, 15 months later. I am never more aware of them, Dad in particular, when I am in this house…and today even more so. Both my children arrive tonight with my niece and her H and 3 year old …to complete the circle of life. Full house.

I am in Surrey, have at least 30 Kilos to lose, going to take it one day at a time. What fun this would have been….only just joined this website, and it is the 27th May..but I do find all the posts very encouraging and stimulating. Sorry I am so late, it would have been good to join you!

US/Day 27 – NFD for me today. Focus on healthy choices, exercise and getting through the weekend. Plan to exercise 60 mins each day, have my great nephew’s 1st birthday and otherwise typical busy weekend around the house, etc. I too love reading all the stories, struggles, challenges and triumphs from everywhere around the world. This forum has become part of my day. Thank you.

USA Day 27: FD or NFD?…that is the question. Well I weighed in this morning and I lost 3.3 lbs since last Friday weigh in. I was hoping for 1 lb, so that was a pleasant surprise. I am 6.8lbs from goal weight. Haven’t checked my measurements yet. It’s so much better just weighing once a week. I still have a cold though..but this is my last day to have a FD this week because..well, to be honest, I’m doing it on the down low so my husband doesn’t find out. haha He’s off all weekend and Monday. So far I am fasting..but it’s only 8:30am. I think I can do it fine, I just want to get better ASAP and don’t want to hinder that. Thoughts, anyone?

Minols – I do some patchwork too! I loved your saying about getting buried in a patchwork quilt.

Norrie B – Hi! How is it going for you? How many FD’s have you had? There’s a new challenge starting on July 1st!!

USA 27 of 42
    Busy weekend ahead!Hope everybody does well and makes good choices!
    I weigh in tomorrow. NFD today.

Day 27, Gloucestershire, UK: Non-fast day. What a fantastic group you all are. We are now the “stayers’club” as we are all still here and have not given up. We have good days and not so good days but we stay with the challenge. I’m a bit peeved that my weight and measurements still refuse to shift but keep thinking of the other health benefits of intermittent fasting. Sorry not to comment too much on individual posts but by the time I get to the bottom, I’ve forgotten who wrote what, how to spell your names etc, but Edzeko, you sound a lovely person with a great family. xx

Day 17 Midwest USA. I had a very hard FD on Sunday. I was ‘hungover” from binge eating the two previous nights.

Found it hard to make dinner for my family and be fasting. I blew the fast and ended up binge eating again. Then decided to pack this in: i found it hard to be so weary and unproductive on a FD.

I’m back! I know this method is and will be powerful for healing my relationship with food. I’m happy to see in other people’s posts that i don’t have to do this perfectly. I can still keep working at it.

One challenge is i don’t want my kids to notice that i’m ‘fasting’.

it was encouraging to read all your posts. Thank you for getting me back on track. Haven’t figured out when my next FD is, but i’ll post again soon.

I did lose some weight with my 3 FD’s- down to 134lbs. but have had a tough week and weight back up to 139lbs.

i CAN do this. and i WILL do this. the main thing i’m hoping for is to change my relationship to eating (as well as losing weight and health improvements).

thanks to all of you for working at this with me.

what happens after the 42 day challenge is over?

Rinse and repeat?

Good 27th morning from Los Angeles! Thanks once more to everyone posting here — such interesting and honest posts, so encouraging and engaging! I am so happy to be part of this group. Today, after FD yesterday, the scales tell me that I’ve fully recovered from my recent St. Louis trip, and that I am in fact at my lowest weight in at least 2 or 3 years. And now (barely barely) under 30 BMI. Very chuffed. Cheers to us!

Switzerland- day 27 – NFD
    Still feeling grotty so planning a very early night. Cheese on toast for the kids… Lovely to read everyone’s posts. TGIF!

USA, Day 27. No plans to fast because we have a party at my work today. Trying to prepare myself to stay away from cakes, and eat only one piece of pizza.
    Still battling binging mood….managed to stay away for sugar yesterday, don’t want to undo my small victories.

It is just ridiculous how long time is needed to get rid of the unwanted pounds, and how quickly and easily they are coming back. 🙁

Stay strong everybody.

wondering how many of you do 16:8 fasting? i.e. fast for 16 hours then eat in an 8 hour window. the lean gains method.

do you do this in addition to 2 days weekly fasting? Happy margo, i see you do this?

i’m interested in doing it too….

make it a great day everyone.

I’m going to have a FD. Hoorah!

Hi UK Day 27

A couple of points – Dutch noted, 2 days if you are back on Monday?

Minols I so like the idea of a patchwork life!

NorrieB why not join us for the last 2 weeks of this challenge? – after challenge ends 11 June we will be on our own for 3 weeks but I am sure still posting (I won’t be keeping track). Plan to start a new challenge 1st July for 4 weeks. Post everyday or if you can’t let me know and I will note it. I am sure if you have been reading our posts you have the general idea – as you are from UK you would start your post UK day 27 if it is 27th May, day 28 if 28th, 1st of June will be day 32 – get the picture?

Strong – you were on the list to be deleted as we had no posts from you since 19th May but I will hold off – if you can’t post each day let me know. Please read my note above to Norrie on the way to start your post and on what we hope to do after this challenge ends June 11th. Start your post with the day of the challenge that we are all on even if you started later. You could maybe update your profile as well and let us know a bit about yourself?

Hi

Over the last few days my clothes have felt a lot looser so this morning I had a sneaky peak at those dammed scales – I couldn’t believe it – according to them – liar liar pants on fire – my weight was up. Please, please, please don’t get hung up on the number on the scale. I had felt so good up to then but I felt so disappointed why was it up? why bother? I have had to give myself a good talking to!

I received a text from a friend who is doing a bootcamp – this is her second week and it came just at the right time. These are things she has learnt so far and has passed on – do not compare yourself to others – this is your journey and everybody’s journey is different – some seem to drop lbs easily others don’t. She is taking pleasure in being able to do something this week that she couldn’t do last week. It is the small changes that you make and the effort you put in that count.

She has not lost any weight but has lost inches. 2 from her bum, 2 from waist and 1 from chest with half inch from arms. Celebrate the small changes – you walk an extra block, you have an apple instead of a biscuit. Small changes make the biggest difference and not always about weight.

I am not suggesting you all join up for boot camp – but take on board – do not let the scale define you.

For all of you who have been having a difficult time of late – stay the course, don’t give in – remember version 2,3,4,5, etc it doesn’t matter how many times you have to start again, the important bit is starting again. Remember to get back on the horse is what is important. Draw a line and start again. Make small changes – make sure you drink plenty of water first before giving into a binge – ok so you still want to binge and it isn’t thirst – well earn it first – do you have stairs in your house – go up and down 5 times – up quick, down slow – do you still want that binge? Can you run on the spot for 2 mins – do you still want that binge? Set out what you want then half it – tell someone this is what you are going to eat and give them the rest. Don’t eat in secret – ok so you still want to binge and eat something that will not particularly nourish your body – do you really want it? Then enjoy it – savour each mouthful, eat slowly and listen to your body and stop. You haven’t blown it, you have planned it and you will be back on track tomorrow because you are in control.

Have a good weekend everyone – Plan Plan Plan.

Day 27 California USA. Today is a NFD and official weigh in. I stayed the same weight. No gains and thankful. My FD offset my over TDEE days. Thanks Coda for your post. Celebrate the small changes and exposing the desire to binge. Today I am celebrating slightly looser fitting clothes, a 5 lb wt loss since starting this challenge and a total 13 lb wt loss since starting 5:2 / 16:8 way of eating.

Have a great weekend!

UK Day 27 and a FD, thank you Coda for that post, so much encouragement packed into one message! I am keeping out of the kitchen for an hour or so because I find this time, when everyone is just home from work or school, the toughest. It’s particularly hard on a Friday when in the past I would have had a glass of wine in my hand by now. Still, I keep repeating to myself i can always have it tomorrow.

Québec, day 27

Yesterday, after writing about my FD I ” fell ” into a bag of cheddar rice cakes. Had to eat them all. Mindless eating while surfing on Internet. The funniest part is that my mind was telling me. “You know that you don’t want to do this. You know that you should go to bed instead of eating. You know that you don’t want to ruin your great fast day. You know that this is your pitfall “. But I went on and did it anyway.
    My body was hungry for rest but I denied it and not very proud of myself. But, but I know that I am more and more aware and I will be able to do it successfully one day. I really like the catchy slogan ” just do it “. So simple and so thrue. Why complicate things when it’s so simple I just have to do it. That’s all !

NFD today and I will be under my calories allowance. I will try another FD tomorrow.

I ´m leaving to get my dear dog. A nice little blond, mixed maltese. He is SO cute. All women fall instantly in love with him and hés to happy to kiss them. His name is Pixel. In joke we say that he loves tasting expensive woman face cream hihihi ! Haven’t seen him for about a week. I guess I will receive my load of hugs and kisses. My husband ( who is out of town to take car on his parents) says that he is jealous thinking that Pixel will sleep with me 🙂

Must say once again how I appreciate this team of good people from around the world. A special thanks to Coda for reminding us to celebrate every little success.

Wishing you all a great we x

From NorrieB, on 3rd day of 5:2.Yes great idea, Coda, I will join the last period.
    The first day just made a food diary of what I actually ate ( so really this is the 2nd day. I chose yesterday as a fast day and couldn’t believe the ease. That had everything to do with the realization that I could eat whatever I chose the following day. I am not interested in ANOTHER ‘diet’…I want to change my way of life.
    Today I woke up after a really good night’s sleep, expecting to be very hungry, but wasn’t hungry at all. I realize this is my choice. Going to take it one day at a time, and work my way through the books. I am just keeping an eye on what is being eaten so that I can make sure not to go over the TDEE.

I forgot to say that my dog is from a refuge ( SPCA) so he is double loving with us and everyone who pets him. I sometimes call him velcro since he is so sticky, especialy with me. He has decided that I am his mom and his favorire girlfriend ( THE one amongst all his girlfriends hihihi )

Viewing 50 posts - 1,401 through 1,450 (of 2,344 total)

You must be logged in to reply.