42 day challenge beginning 1 May

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
42 day challenge beginning 1 May

This topic contains 2,339 replies, has 109 voices, and was last updated by  back2thefuture 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,301 through 1,350 (of 2,344 total)

• California, day #24, FD. Happy Birthday Coda! I gained back 2 lbs and I don’t really know why. Anyway, I’ll continue until I get rid of the excess weight. I still have about 20 lbs (9 Kg) to lose to have a BMI = 25.

Have a lovely day all of you!

UKDay 24 happy birthday Coda! I hope you enjoy your celebration meal.
    DorothyG and Apricot I hope you are both feeling better? Good luck to those who are b2b fasting, please let us know how it goes. I’m battling a tendency to overeat on my post fast day, doing OK I think. I keep reminding myself its feedback not failure if I have a wobble, I just need to try to learn from it so I don’t keep doing the same thing. That’s the theory anyway! My night shift went really well so I’m thrilled about that, it seems that preparation is the key (I know, obvious really!). Qsue hooray for a smaller swimsuit, and for pie too. We can have both!

Day 24, Los Angeles. HBD, Coda!
    FD yesterday went well. Dropped some of the lbs I picked up in St. Louis. This is my 10th week on 5:2. As of this moment I’m down 13 lbs from when I started. Have a long way to go. So glad to have stumbled upon the 5:2 approach and this forum! Have good days, everyone.

Hi from Utah (USA) Day 24 = FD for me.

Happy birthday, Coda! We May babies are oh so special. 🙂

Ciren – I am always cold on FD’s too, especially hands and feet. For my Illinois winters I have made rice bags (2 lbs. of dry rice sewn into a cotton fabric bag) that I heat in the microwave for 2 minutes. They are great for hands and feet on FD’s or just when my feet are cold in bed. BTW, I loved the Cotswolds when we visited there, oh just a few years ago (1971 – I am old)

Daughter and granddaughters wanted pizza last night for supper, so I did indulge with them on 1 1/2 pieces of delicious pizza but ate a dinner salad along with it. Oh, and a 105 calorie light Bud. (beer) Now to keep away from the leftovers that are in the fridge today on my FD!

Day 24. Wisconsin, USA. Dear Coda…I hope you have just the best Birthday ever. I’d like to give you a gift, if I could. You have given all of US a gift, and I thank you for that.

My FD was painful yesterday, but I’m not complaining. That’s just how I roll. My NFD’s during the week are better than on the weekend. I’m feeling quite optimistic, however, that I am engaged in a positive and effective process. I feel like the outcome is certain, and it’s just a matter of time. The more I believe this, the easier it is to stick to my routine, and not to fret over slight missteps and number fluctuations.

I have thrown out body weight exercises and dumbells this week in favor of gentle yoga. My back is feeling tricky. I am certain it is from the stress of my illusion that I am capable of hosting a party for 200 plus (our eldest son’s graduation party). I have been making turkeys for a month, and I hope to never see another turkey again in my life.

Because our son was gravely ill for so many years, we have a lot to celebrate. Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles, cousins and friends are all ready to celebrate that our son is better, and that he has a bright future. There were years when all these people shared in our grief, watching our son’s illness consume him. So, cheers to miracles, and I’ll happily work 1000 hours to celebrate an occasion like this. It is my privilege.

Happy Day you wonderful, smart, committed friends. Let’s stay the the course.

Congratulations and admiration to you Edzeko, your son, and your family! What a wonderful thing to celebrate! Enjoy everything.

Anonymous

Edzeko – your post made me cry. In 1993 my youngest daughter ended up in hospital with an infection gone bad, age 1.5. When I was called in to the doctors’ office and was told I had to prepare to the fact that she could have leukemia…yeah…your world falls apart and you start fighting. Hard! I’ll skip the next few years: She is now (22 years later) a gorgeous young woman in her last year of University College.
    The backache could certainly come from stress. But “an illusion” of catering to 200? No way. It’s no illusion. You can do it knowing that not ONE of those 200 will attend for the food being served. They are there to celebrate the graduation of your son! A job well done and hard work on both sides: his and yours as parents. Hats off! I think you’d even do 2000hours happily- right?! So enjoy this fantastic day and I’m so happy for you! Really. Enjoy!! Yep..CHEERS to miracles!!

Pacific NW USA: Day 24, 2nd b2b FD

FD went well yesterday, 1/4 TDEE recalculated and met at dinner of lettuce wrapped meat patty with fresh salsa. Woke a little early so slightly under energetic but will continue with white tea, Doctor check-in and some weed pulling this afternoon with Cobb salad for dinner.

In the “you can find any study on the web to support your view” department, this one gives me some reassurance when I manage my 5:2 NFD by passing on breakfast. Of course, next week we’ll see the opposite but in this short report they say that the studies touting the benefits of breakfast are backed by the breakfast cereal industry! http://on.today.com/1Wf9tSX

Good luck to everyone trying b2b FD’s freedom of scheduling with 5:2!

BrightonBelle, Debbie Q congrats on scale cooperating, Minois – waiting to hear . . .

HappyMango, And …exhale – you are incredible exercise role models and Cizzy2 a portion control master!

Ciren2 – thank you for helping lift my attitude, we are really doing this for long term health, everything else is (dare I say) icing on the cake. lol

Coda – love your visuals. This challenge (and the next one) have helped me break my big goal (return to my “normal” weight) into short term foreseeable goals, along with helping me visualize my real goal of just feeling better.

Anonymous

Yesterday i had my cholesterol checked. Went to the hospital so as I know it’s a reliable test. This morning my GP phoned the results: my overall cholesterol is a whopping 2.7!! Some 6 years ago it was 4.2. I’m hoping the changes I made in diet and exercise are the major contributors..BUT.. somewhere I read that a higher cholesterol after 55+ is better…is that so??? I’d lvoe to hear your thoughts!

Edzeko what a wonderful post, thank you. I hope that you and your son, and all your family and friends, enjoy the celebration both of what he has achieved so far and also of all the future has in store for him

U.K. Day 24

Happy Birthday Coda xx

The b2b fd’s went so well – they could become addictive! Having said that today’s nfd has gone well as well – I have told everyone what I’m doing so saying no to treats is getting easier!

I had goose bumps reading your post edzeko and the reply from Dutch.
    Thank you again for all your birthday wishes much appreciated.
    You know everyone my part in this is just a small part – each of you took responsibility for your own actions. Another little saying that you all obviously read ‘if it is to be – it is up to me’ Well done everyone x

France Day 24 NFD

Happy birthday Coda. Hope it has been a good day!

I have been doing a course for the past two days and it has kept me exhausted. I am so glad to be home, I am hungry and too tired to get in the kitchen and darned well cook something. I must make an effort.

Brazil 24 days of challenge

CODA Happy birthday, a big Brazilian hug for you !!!

UK day 23 weighed today as didnt get chance yesterday, down 4lbs! Total weight loss including slightly before 42 day started 15lbs so happy! Nonfd today and sticking to tde.

A great big hug and happy birthday wishes Coda. You are inspirational!
    Still don’t know which day I’m on, but still in Isle of Wight. Managed a reasonable fast day yesterday, but no scales here so no weigh in. Just scraped in my TDEE today but this delish Isle of Wight ice cream is hard to resist.
    Well done everyone for sticking with it, and we all have our reasons for wanting a different way of life. As said many times before, only we can do it. Be strong, stay strong, and be proud.! TTL

Day 24 USA Minnesota NFD
    Coda, I think it’s about 10pm your time so your birthday is winding down, but I hope it was everything you had wished it would be. You really deserve it! So far I’ve been eating healthy and sensibly, but now I’m babysitting and daughter wants to bring fast food (Dairy Queen) back after her Doctor appt. I think I will have some of that but try to limit myself. I have a hard time resisting cheese curds, one of my many flaws. I may try another FD tomorrow and then Friday as well since we have plans with friends and family this weekend. And excesses, more than likely.

I wish I could respond to each one of your wonderful posts to tell you how inspiring you all are; both in your determination to stick to this diet and your compassion for the members of our group.
    Edzeko, I wish the best for you and your son on his big achievement (which is also yours), and Dutch, as she frequently does, has expressed it beautifully: your loved ones will be there to share your joy and won’t care a hoot about the food.
    Good luck everyone, today and tomorrow.

Hi i had a lovely birthday thank you everyone and just back home after a lovely meal and a glass of wine. Loved every bit of it x

Meli_110216 as you live in UK when it is 24th you are on day 24 even though you may not have joined the challenge on day one. It makes it easier for me to keep track. 🙂

Australia Day 25 NFD.Well my hip and back have been protesting since my walk last night. I will take it more slowly. A good NFD yesterday even though I was unusually hungry and really fancied a glass of wine. Stuck to my planned meals and cups of tea. Edzeko have a great party. What a wonderful celebration! Meli great weight loss – you are inspiring. Have a great day all!

USA day 23: NFD for me and still feeling under the weather. But happy I did my FD yesterday and feel lighter after that anniversary meal on Saturday. Definitely staying below TDEE today as I am not very hungry. I know I am in the men’s though! Good job, everyone!

Meli, wow! 15 lbs is great!!!

On the mend, I meant. Haha I am typing on my phone…

Aussie day 25 NFD for me today I read all these inspiring posts and thinking of you all. All your ups and downs it’s great how we all are doing this together if you feel a bit down someone will always boost you back up with some kind advise love it.

USA Day 24 and I missed Day 23. Both NF days.

Good Morning from South Australia Day 25
    Such interesting and heartfelt posts from everyone.
    ABC Congratulations on buying those new scales and very pleased your weight went down.
    Micky42 You are saying goodbye to those pounds you met in Saint Louis. I think you could write a song about that.
    Thirdtimelucky Still enjoying the beautiful Isle of Wight you lucky thing

Yesterday morning I badly sprained my ankle and it was my Tuesday FD for the week as it is weigh in Wednesday today. So no aquarobics in my new, smaller swimming costume (known as ‘bathers’ in SA), no housework and no going out, just sitting down and getting bored. When OH came home he cooked us both dinner and my FD ended early. I was only going to eat half but he is such a wonderful cook. I hobbled onto the scales this morning and the Good Scales Fairy has been kind and I have still managed to lose 300 grams so I have now lost 1 Kilo (2.2lbs) since we began our challenge. I am very happy with that.

Hannah My local cafe has also decided to include calorie counts for all its cakes, sandwiches etc. It is such a good idea.

Australia Day 25 – 17 days to go of challenge 🙂

Hello everyone, I hope everyone has a great day :)Today is a non fasting day. Started with porridge as has become usual, lol 🙂

Fasts – 12 Non Fasts – 13

Australia, day 25, nonFD,

Congratulations to everyone, for Coda for your birthday, Edzeko for you and yourvwonderful son, well done Mum!, and for all who are sticking to 5:2 to the challenge, and to learning about you and food as you go.

I read everypost and often could reply in my post but I forget wh’se said what by the time I post, and I have to choose to read all or read just a few if I want to write anything down as a memory aid. Having ME/CFS means if I add anything into my life I have to take something out to make room for it in my energy balance. So please forgive my often inability to remember who did what.

I am somewhat emotional today. Today is Missing Millions Day, an international day to bring awareness to the Missing millions of peopke with ME/CFS, missing from their jobs, professions, social lives, sports, families even. Also missingmillions of $ for research, and the missing education of millions of doctors on ME CFS because the missing millions of people are just too ill and too silent to lobby. They are missing because they are mostly housebound, and bedbound, some lost the ability to speak. Bthey are as young as 6yrs old, children, teens and all ages, women and men. It is a devastating, systemmic illness which happens suddenly following any of 50 viruses, but can also sometimes come over several months or years.

Today I am so grateful for Dr Michael Mosely, all the researchers on intermittant fasting, and for the version that is 5:2. I believe it is the only, and I mean only, way I could have got off the many kgs that went on with CFS. I was bedbound for 2 yrs, and housebound for a further 4yrs, with no reduction in appetite. I have no memory of how shopping or food prep was done in those years, especially in the first 2 as I was mostly drifting in and out of sleep. My virus was a catastrophic one, and I consider I am lucky to be alive. I went to bed my normal hyperactive self and woke up in a different world where I could barely move, think and lost some speech. 5:2 has given me back more hope for my future as I my body is now in the top of abhealthy BMI, and no longer has to cope with the extra challenge of all that weight. I have 5kg to go now and it is very exciting and I am now much happier with my body.

Thank you Dr Mosely and 5:2!!!
    Onwards and Downwards everyone,
    Merry

Merryme, our thoughts are with you and the missing millions. Best wishes.

Dear Merryme
    I am so glad that 5:2 has helped you and three cheers for Doctor Moseley for such a sensible sustainable diet. My cousin had 4 young children and a full time job when she caught Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and it was devastating. Now, many years later, she is again healthy and working full time but it took ages. All her children are now resilient adults who treat their Mum with special care. I am hoping you will also make a full recovery.
    I am sitting here with my bung ankle reading Dr Fung’s blog and feeling pretty damn healthy in comparison to the people he has on his blog. I am just a bit overweight and Doctor Moseley’s 5:2 diet is a lot easier and working well, if rather slowly, for me.
    All the best to everyone

France Day 25 NFD

I rejoice too at Dr Moseleys’s very do-able diet, which appears to be backed by scientific evidence that I can follow.

I was a bit miffed yesterday to read in the article in the telegraph that he says to avoid melons, I had just eaten half a melon!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/wellbeing/diet/52-author-michael-mosley-im-proof-low-fat-diets-dont-work/

Nonetheless at this mornings weigh in I was pleased that the scales have descended nicely.

Total loss since April, 12th fifteen and a half pounds. So I am over half way on my journey to my personal Nirvana.

Switzerland – Day 25 – NFD

Good morning,

Great to read so many posts.

Wow, Edzeko, good luck with the prep and hope your back is feeling stronger.
    Qsue, ow, hope your ankle is quickly on the mend.
    Merry, thank you for sharing that information on CFS and ME – it really is eye-opening to learn about what other people are struggling with and what brings them to 5:2.

A lovely, sunny day to everyone on the challenge!

UK day 25 so many truly inspirational posts to catch up on this morning, what an amazing bunch you are ! Completed my first b2b fast yesterday , I was so busy all day getting my sons room ready for his return from university yesterday I didn’t have time to think about food – which for me is a big breakthrough . My eldest son must be a similar age to Edzeko and Dutchs kids so reading your posts made me realise we really should be thankful for what we have , I certainly do take my own and my family’s good health for granted sometimes

Aiming to enjoy my NFD today as going for a 3rd FD for the week on Thursday

I revisited The Fast Diet yesterday and number 2 of Mimis dozen ways to make the fast diet work for you is – find a fast friend – Coda thanks for bringing us together it’s definitely helped me x

US day 25, yesterday was NFD,today is FD will keep my calories to 500 calories only,tomorrow will eat normally without counting calories
    happy birthday Coda
    I am scared to use the scale now,
    wish all the best to everyone

NFD Aussie Day 25. Only wish I could respond to all the inspirational posts but must a way to bath the grandchildren.

UK day 25 – NFD…munching on almonds.

US SE DAY 25 – NFD
    It’s quite early in the morning here and everyone else is still sleeping. My company arrived back from their trip last evening. They are with me today and tomorrow before flying home on Friday. Tomorrow is normally a fast day for me and I am going to try to keep it that way. If not I will aim for Friday.
    Edzeko and Dutch – I cannot begin to imagine the agony of seeing your child ill. I have one daughter who is in college and she is my world. I am so happy that your children are healthy and thriving now.
    Dutch – great news on your bloodwork results. I don’t think I’ve heard about higher cholesterol being better after 55. My husband’s is quite high (not related to diet… well maybe some of it :-)) He has it checked every 6 months and is medicated.
    DorothyG – glad you’re feeling better!
    Back2thefuture- I also pass on breakfast. I never did eat first thing in the morning but then with all the experts advising that it’s the “most important meal of the day” I began to eat it. Now, research is showing that it probably is no more important than any other meal.. I have decided to go back to my old ways and skip it and honestly don’t miss it at all.
    Meli and ABC1 – way to go! Great weight loss for you both.
    Qsue – sorry about your ankle – hope it heals fast. I hate not being able to move around.

Hi everyone
    Day 25 in Northern Spain
    Fast day and feeling it.
    Feel tired today but will get through today.
    Yesterday I was a bit naughty and had pizza. It was delicious! !!!
    Anyway today I am back on track.
    Grilled fish, salad and positive thoughts
    Goodwick everyone

Day 25 Cotswolds UK: Non-fast day. Hello everyone. This is such a great group. I’m sure it has made the difference having to discipline ourselves knowing that there are others looking out for us. Having to check in every day etc. I can’t say enough thanks to you, Coda, for starting this challenge…and hopefully the follow-on for 1st July. Thank you, Thank you Thank you!

Day 25– Colorado, USA

Just a quick note. Need to jump in shower to get to work.
    NFD today. Weigh in tomorrow.

Day 25, NYC, USA.

Today is a FD. I brought a bag of lettuce and arugula from yard for munching later on today, and have instant miso at the ready.

My NFD was quite over the top. Stressful work day led to lots of chocolate and my scale showed it. Hubby and I also killed a bottle of very nice Cabernet with a grilled hanger steak and mushrooms/onions, and Brussels sprouts. Today is Discipline Day before long weekend of food and alcohol.

USA, Day 25. Fasting day.
    Not a good week. Disappointed.

US/Day 25 – NFD again today with a FD for tomorrow. Hoping to be mindful today as two back to back NFD seem to be difficult for me — still working on keeping NFD eating to healthy mindful choices (much harder than one would think). Will plan for my FD tomorrow with my usual weigh in on Friday. Hope the trend continues downward, however big or small. I too believe that having this group to lean on has helped me to keep things in perspective and feel like I have a place to go to “talk” about food, weight and measurements (that no one else wants to hear). Thanks again, Coda – I truly feel lucky to have come across this amazing group of people. Have a great day all!

Hello Everyone –

Hanging in there, oh boy. I have the same ups and downs that most of you report.

Today is FD again – wasn’t looking forward to it. Yesterday (NFD) I rediscovered the joy of eating. Made the mistake to cook one of my favorites…

Last week was a bit of a challenge, one of my FDs I managed to display all symptoms, dizziness, hunger, headache, grumpiness.
    Since 1 May, I lost 3.7 kgs, but still a lot to go 🙁

Meanwhile I figured the scale moves down only after I manage to pass a major hunger-phase plus a phase when I no longer feel hungry.
    Even when I no longer feel hungry I feel a weird pressure in my head and the whole day I’m sluggish, can’t concentrate.
    At night after an FD I can hardly sleep, which makes the next day another sort of a mess.

There are days when due to the side effects I struggle like a pig on ice, sometimes eventually give up and declare the said day a NFD. On these failed FDs I still try to keep the calories as low as I can (ca 700-800 cal) and simply go for the next day to get a FD. This way at least I manage to keep most NFDs a lot below my TDEE. With the exception of yesterday, lol.

As for workout, I follow Dr. M’s fast routine on exercise bike, ie 3 times a week 10 min HIT (3*20 sec max level), plus 1 hr walking once/twice a week. Due to knee problems I can’t do much, anyway. (In my TDEE calculation I apply the light exercise level.)

A big Thank you Coda and everyone for this inspiring thread – I wish you all the best of luck 🙂

And oh, I just gather, celebration time! Happy belated Birthday to you, any many happy returns, Coda! 🙂

Day 25 California. Today is a NFD. I have a graduation party to attend this evening, at a Mexican restaurant. Planning to eat very light once again at lunch and try not to go crazy with all the good food that will be available. Last night, we went to a nice Italian restaurant, but took most of my dinner home. I did eat more bread than I wanted. It is hard to resist fresh baked bread. My son took it all for his lunch so it is out of the house. I am up 1/2 pound today. Looking forward to a fast day tomorrow. I am just hoping to break even on my weigh in day. No gains-no losses. Well, losses would be great, but I don’t think there will be any this week.
    Time to get to work. I am behind in my reading all the posts. Hopefully I will get caught up this evening.
    Wishing everyone a great day.

Hi all UK day 25 – my goodness where is the time going – I seemed to be surprised when I see ETJ’s post with the days remaining.

BrightonB – you mean what an amazing bunch WE are! You forgot to include yourself.

Crush – where have you been – you have been missing? If you can’t post everyday let me know.

Goldmoon – same for you I have no posts from you since day 18 (apologies if I have made an error). You must post each day – this is to encourage accountability but if you can’t for whatever reason let me know and I will note this down. Also please start your post from where you live UK, USA Can etc and the day you are on ie 24th May = day 24, 26th May = day 26. Thanks

lol what am I going to do when I get to 1 June ha ha not so easy so I will have to think June 1st is day 32.

Also to give you heads up – after 11th June we will be starting a new challenge on 1st July but for 4 weeks only, ending 29 July. Get you calendars ready as I want you to hit the ground running. So between this challenge ending and the new one starting you have about 3 weeks on your own. I hope by this time good habits and routines will be in place. I will not be keeping track of everyone during these 3 weeks but feel free to post each day as usual if you wish.

More details will follow and if anyone has any ideas to keep the challenge fresh let me know – I will be putting something on for exercise but this is not compulsory in case that would put anyone off but even those who don’t exercise per say can still increase daily walks and chores etc.

Good work everyone keep it up x

California, day #25, NFD. Yesterday I got really sick in the afternoon and was not able to finish my FD. I’ll do it tomorrow.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/the-fasting-advantage-part-14/

Anonymous

NL day 25
    …a great group indeed!!
    There are so many posts to reply to. Which I won’t because it’s going to take forever once at the keyboard. Merryme your post on ME/CFS was sure an eye-opener for me too. I googled and ended up putting a pair of shoes by the frontdoor. A small gesture meaning so much. I had NO idea how bad it could be. Wish you strength! A coworker once said: Healthy people have tons of wishes, ailing people have only one wish. It’s the first I thought of when I read your post.
    Today we celebrated my daughters’birthday – them May babies ARE special :-))
    To get a proper figure on the cholesterol it’s better to do a few tests in a row but I figured it’s not important to know the exact one because it’s within the normal range.
    My english is improving a lot here…never heard of ‘like a pig on ice’ but I get the picture!! LOL
    And DorothyG I had a good laugh at the auto-correct of “in the men’s”! Then I read a few more on http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/13603/the-25-funniest-autocorrects-of-dyacs-first-year/ I believe a laugh a day is better than an apple a day…! :-))
    For those struggling, hold on! It will only get better in time!

dear Coda i am very sorry for not been able to post during weekends because I work overnight shift during weekends nights so next days I slept like a dead person from the stressful job the whole following days and could not post during Saturday or Sunday day time and I am not allowed to use phone at night while be at job but I will try if I could,I hope you can forgive me during weekends but I promise from Tuesdays morning till Saturday night you will gonna hear from me
    I am very interested to join your next challenge,thank you for that
    wish best for everyone

Hi

Yes I too laughed at the idea of DorothyG being in the men’s!

Lots of reading for me to do. So true about the wishes Dutch – we don’t really appreciate health until something happens. Hopefully this way of life will halt, improve and prevent ill health.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,301 through 1,350 (of 2,344 total)

You must be logged in to reply.