42 day challenge beginning 1 May

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
42 day challenge beginning 1 May

This topic contains 2,339 replies, has 109 voices, and was last updated by  back2thefuture 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,251 through 1,300 (of 2,344 total)

• US/Day 23 – FD today, running errands and doing laundry all day (exciting, I know!) nothing but coffee/water/green tea until dinner — cilantro lime shrimp over organic quinoa with fresh strawberries for dessert – num! Have a great day/night all!

USA day 23:
    I am scheduled for a FD today but am feeling under the weather. Do you all fast when you are sick? I don’t know if there is a rule of thumb for this. It’s only 8am-ish and have been sipping hot tea and don’t feel hungry. Trying to figure out if my body needs nourishment right now or the break of a FD. Any thoughts?
    I totally agree with the health benefits of apples. Was just putting that info out for the lady that was finding herself hungry on her FD after eating one so that she would know. Sometimes just knowing is enough and you don’t need to change when you eat it or anything. 😊
    Made whole wheat blueberry muffins for the kids..they smell so good! Definitely going to put one away for my NFD tomorrow.

I’m under the weather too, Dorothy G. I think you should just go with what you feel really. I’m not hungry now (1.15 pm), but have some soup ready for when I am. It can be an advantage not feeling hungry and missing meals is fine as we know from this diet and others, such as Krista Varady’s work and Jason Fung’s. But I know that when ill I sometimes crave white carbs, like biscuits, so on guard! Keep a suitable quick food handy, or you may reach for the other if it’s there! I try to use eggs, but not helpful if you are Vegan.

US, Day 23 – FD

A weekend of overeating in Florida, visiting my aunt. The food choices were okay, but I was just consuming more than I needed. Up a bit today on the scales, but no big deal as I will just take it off this week.

Today is a fast day. I have my instant miso at the ready, if I need it, and will pick up some fresh fish for dinner on the way home.

Merryme, Onwards and downwards, indeed!

Utah, USA Day 23, NFD — I am like some of you who probably ate more than I should have over the weekend. Had company yesterday so made a roast beef dinner for all . Tried to be as smart as I could. Will cut back today and go to the gym to burn off some of it all!

UK day 23
    Just about to go to work and will be there until 2am. I’m feeling well prepared to withstand the munchies later on, as I have a ham salad plus an orange and a boiled egg. Feel absolutely determined not to ruin a FD with empty sugar. Something interesting for me yesterday, I made a risotto, asparagus and pea with saffron for family supper. It was tasty but as I started to eat it I thought why am I eating this, I’m not hungry, so I just stopped. It felt really good to have recognised that I didn’t need to eat just because it was a mealtime and there was food there! Enjoying catching up with everyone’s news as usual, good luck all, fasting or not!

Day 23 in Los Angeles – back in town after 5 days away for son’s graduation in St. Louis. Had a brilliantly lovely time. I did 2 back-to-back FDs right before starting the trip, and could not count cals (or post) on my 5 days away (coda, I hope you and the challenge can forgive me!). I tried to eat “not too horribly” in St. Louis but was not a martyr.

Looks like everyone here has been determined and forward-focused while I was away. Congratulations to you all!

Unfortunately the scales tell me that I’m up nearly 4 lbs after my St. Louis hiatus. That does NOT feel good at all. A little discouraged and concerned that I added those lbs so easily in such a short time — I wasn’t eating entirely mindfully on my trip, and wasn’t counting calories either, so I’m sure I underestimated my calories etc. But still! I was keeping an eye on things, didn’t eat snacks or large portions, kept the bread intake low etc. Perhaps I will never be able to go on maintenance if this is how it goes for me without IFDs and strict calorie counting on NFDs. πŸ™

Oh well, I will stop complaining and get back on the horse today as planned.
    It’s good to be back.

Day 23 UK. Lovely sunny day here in the Cotswolds. Fast Day….I always feel so cold on Fast days, especially my hands, feet and nose!
    Dorothy G: I say if you don’t feel too well fast another day. In the great scheme of things, it’s no big deal. Get well soon. Have a good day everyone, fasters and non-fasters alike. xx

Day 23. Wisconsin, USA. Dorthy G…starve a fever, feed a cold. At least, that’s what I have always been told. Not sure if it’s actually scientific. But, I do believe our bodies are intelligently designed. We usually don’t feel so much like eating when we’re sick, and that’s probably for a reason. Our body is looking to repair itself, and the work of digestion may be a distraction it doesn’t need. I haven’t a clue if this theory is correct, but it’s just my assumption, and what I have read. Like someone else said, you can read just about anything to support just about anything on the internet. πŸ™‚

Speaking of which…the apple debate. All my fasts have ended with an apple at 1:00 for “lunch”. This gets me through until my little meal for supper. I don’t know if an apple makes me more or less hungry, because, I am generally in some state of hunger most of the day anyway. But, the apple is my habit. I know it helps my digestion, and I like that it takes a while to eat. I really draw it out as long as possible on a FD.

Today is FD, and I’ve got the routine down. Very busy week ahead, and I hope to stay on task.

US SE Day 23 FD

Not doing too badly on my FD today. Regarding the apple debate (which I believe I may have started) πŸ™‚ I do always eat an apple every day.. I was just having a hard time with it on my FD’s because it really did make me feel hungrier after I ate it. I have solved the problem by having a little protein with it (a cheese stick or some sliced turkey) and this seems to have worked very well.

Another thing I’m happy to report is that I have noticed in the past week that I find I can no longer eat as much in one sitting as I used to. Dishes that I would have wolfed down a few weeks back .. and possibly gone back for more, I am no longer able to finish. It came as a surprise to me when I realized that I was forcing myself to finish up my meal. Then the thought occurred of why I was making myself eat when I wasn’t hungry anymore. Maybe I am turning a very important corner… I hope so.

Uk day 23

Today is the second of my first ever b2b FD’s. I had overindulged on Friday and Saturday – and the scales were creeping upwards – so I wanted to nip it in the bud. I also wanted to know if I could actually do it. Well I can! I am so chuffed with myself! It’s good to know that, when the situation demands it, then I can take control of myself and address the problem before it goes out of hand!

Pacific NW USA: Day 23 FD today and tomorrow

This will be the first time I’ve tried b2back fasts. Broth, tea and water planned until after 24 hrs when I will have a meat patty with fresh veggie salsa tonight then repeat tomorrow. I plan to walk today and garden tomorrow for exercise. Any other suggestions, anyone? Wish me luck because I want to to be eating a little more later in week when I will be trying to keep up with a toddler.

HappyMsngo – At least know I’m probably awake with you on many nights. Once I wake I can’t seem to get back to sleep so I’m glad you at least got in one more hour before the alarm rang. While I’m laying there awake I wonder how counter productive less sleep is to weight loss. Whoops – sorry, I don’t mean to give my worries to you!

DorothyG – I was listening to either Dr Fung or Westman yesterday and one of them agreed with Edzeko that when sick a person usually only feels like having broth or liquids. I think you know what your body needs. Get well!

Dahliafan – Congratulations on not eating the risotto when you weren’t hungry, I bet when you do it will be delicious but in the meantime you were the pilot in control and didn’t let auto-pilot decide what went in your mouth!

Micky42 – You’ll give back those 4 lbs that you took home with you from St. Louis because you know how to do it. Isn’t that what’s great about having a way of life rather than a “oh no, I failed” diet!

DebbieG – Congrats eating smaller portions! I still have to remind myself that just because the market sells a certain size or I over prepare doesn’t mean that determines my portion size. You’ve gotten around a huge corner!

Off for my walk!

Just saw your post Daisyandmillie – we’ll b2b fast together! Good luck!

Hi Everyone – UK Day 23

good to have you back Micky42 – I had it noted that you would be away. As I have said if you can’t post tell me. That way you are still being accountable to the challenge. Today was to be my fast day but there was a continental market round the corner from where I work – I was able to resist most of the food counters – though the smell was lovely. However I bought some chorizo and salami for home and I’m afraid the smell beside me was irresistible. But I feel full now having taken small bits of each. I should be able to have nothing else the rest of the day. Birthday tomorrow – a penultimate one to a bigger one next year! So will not have anything until my evening meal. Trying a new restaurant with my OH so looking forward to it. Have tried not to count calories (as a calorie is not a calorie) but I do wonder if I am kidding myself and taking more than intended. I may go back to making a better guesstimate and logging food into MFP again.

France Day 23 FD

Tried back to back fasting after watching the Dr Mosely film. First day was fine as normal, but I scheduled the second day today to be a day when I am in a classroom and cannot leave. It was fine. Didn’t eat until my evening meal, a repeat of yesterday’s veggie chile, but drank a great deal of Badoit.

At lunch time I went out to buy new scales. The old set have been a nuisance, and this morning offered several suggestions as to what my weight might be. The new ones confirm it to be 71.3, so not bad at all after all my angst. I recalculated my TDEE and decided I was blow 58 calories on a shot of gin with zero tonic. Ah now that feels better.

I am also eating an apple daily, remember all the nutrition is under the peel, so you can throw away a large core, it is after all just fructose.

The next five days are going to be a synch I have bought loads of healthy fruit stuff for those hearty virtuous breakfasts shown on the Horizon film.

Good luck to one and all.

Aussie day 24 Happy Birthday Coda. The second FD i have tried with just an evening meal finding it so much easier, if i eat breakfast I am starving by 10am i don’t think i am ready for a b2b but good luck to backtothefuture and Daisyandmillie .

Day 23 Minnesota, USA, a FD today. I was a bit hungry ( as usual on Mondays), so I had a small salad and a cup of bone broth at 2 PM and that filled me up. I think I’ll have the same at supper with some shredded chicken added to it.
    Good luck everyone, and to those of you feeling poorly I hope you feel better soon.

Happy Birthday, tomorrow, Coda! Anyway, I assume it is your birthday tomorrow from your post. Did I read that correctly? Have a wonderful dinner with your husband! πŸ™‚

UK day 22 fd, went 100 cals over today which i was dissappointed with but it was down to having a very small portion of chips at the seaside whilst having a very long walk, it had to be done!

First mindfulness session today. Went through an exercise called body scan which was quite useful as i didnt eat until 5pm today and it was pleadant to focus in on that light stomach feeling! You can google it and practice it yourself but basically you scan your body from feet upwards and note sensations, breathing into the parts of the body to calm them. Instructor suggested a mini body scan as a way of deciphering thirst from hunger which i thought was a good idea. I have lots of meditations to do as homework before we meet again in 2 weeks so hopefully this mindful eating will also help my 5:2 along…..

Australia Day 24 NFD – happy birthday Coda! I hope you have a great day. My FD yesterday was easy – I wish my NFDs were just as easy! Am restarting my walking this week but have to build up slowly which I find frustrating. I am an “all or nothing” person – hence my success with FDs and horrendous overeating and drinking on weekends! Have a good day all.

Good Morning from South Australia Day 24
    We are now on the second half of our challenge, well done everyone for getting this far.
    I had to buy a new swimsuit for my Aquarobics class that I try to get to 3 times a week. It is finally feeling slightly cold in SA, this is known as winter, so it is becoming more of a challenge to go to the gym than usual. I had to buy a new swimsuit because my trusty black one of many years was getting too big. I found a really nice colourful design at the winter sales for half price in the next size down and it fitted and I felt absolutely delighted. Went to my next Aqua class and the pool was closed due to some maintenance issues but is now open again. Can’t wait to get there today.
    I was feeling very full due to some celebrations on Friday and Saturday but my 36 hour water fast got rid of the extra weight I had put on and made me feel better as well. I generally prefer to eat during my fasts but it is good to know what a water fast can do.
    Despite Dr Fung and all the information on HFLC diets I am still enjoying complex carbs. I like eating them and don’t feel the need to change. I am having a pie for lunch.
    All the best to everyone and onwards and downwards.

Australia, day 24, nonFD

Just had a sneaky mid-week weigh in and I am down 1kg since Friday. Now to keep it off!

days 22/23 . Cornwall Uk. sorry not able tp post yesterday. It all went well staying under TDEE even shared a bottle of red with hubby. today day 23 fast day, a long day first pilates class, then 3 hours gardening and then a long walk. had a bone broth at about 1, water and herb teas. hubby went fishing today with a friend but then we had to go to the pub, diet coke and a black coffee for me! I finally got my feta cheese salad at 8.30 after filleting and freezing the fish! I savoured every mouth ful of my salad! Also boiling up the bones for a fish stew.
    Hope everyone is still on track, I try to remember that each day is a new beginning, there is nothing we can do about the food we put into our mouths yeasterday! onwards and downwards, and good luck everyone.

Hi everyone,

California, day #23, NFD. It’s going well, no complains. Tomorrow FD and then another FD on Friday this week.

Good luck!

Hi just on what Rocy65 was saying – don’t ruin a good day today by thinking of a bad day yesterday!
    Nice to hear from you TTL hope you are having a lovely time albeit the weather is a little unsettled.
    Strange the perception you have – I never thought of Australia having a winter.
    At the end of this week I will be dropping another few names from the list and it would look we may be left with about 36 committed challenge members. I would be very disappointed if any of these 36 dropped out now. You have done so well to keep it up to this point, you have lent support, had a laugh. It may not have been easy at times but you have stuck with it. The finishing line is almost in sight so plan, plan and plan. Know what you are going to do and eat and stick to it. I always think of the middle being the hardest. At the begining we are filled with vigour, we slacken a little after a while, throw in a few cheat days but as we get towards the end I think the pace quickens again Remember have a treat but plan it, savour it and enjoy it with no guilt. You are worth it!
    Thank you from all down under for my birthday wishes. Hope everyone has a good day x

Oh joy! Just stopped into a different cafe for my long black on the way to work and their menu has the calorie count beside each item!

Australia Day 24. FD and a busy one for me. Dinner will be later than usual tonight so I will be drinking lots to get me through. No way I’m giving up on the challenge! The finish date coincides with a trip to Sydney, so am planning to treat myself then.

Day 23 California USA. It’s a FD today. I had soup for lunch and plan for some broth and salad for dinner if needed. So far, I am having a good fasting day today.

Day 23 πŸ˜ƒ Brasil!!!

So I went through with my fast today and am feeling a bit better. Looking forward to sleeping πŸ™‚
    I had miso soup and a hard boiled egg around 1pm then I made a cabbage, radish, bell pepper salad with some white beans and sautΓ©ed mushrooms on the side. Very satisfying. Next FD on Thursday.

Happy birthday, coda!

Pacific NW USA: still day 23 FD

It’s still a little weird to go all day not eating and feel fine. Hope it’s all the excess energy stored in my “battery packs” that are being used! It’s a little before dinner prep time, I walked 9000 steps so far today (walked to toy store to pick up some age appropriate activities for time with granddaughter), went to PT appointment, also puttered in garden and never thought about food all day. I’ll see how it goes when I repeat FD tomorrow.

FishingGran – thanks for the props!
    Meli – sounds very interesting and thanks for info about mindfulness.
    HannaWatto- all or nothing sounds familiar. I think that’s why I’m better at just cutting out certain things like I’ve decided to do with sugar while on my 5:2 quest because if I had a little it wouldn’t be long before I was deciding a little more, then a little more would be OK, I just have to cut it out of my mind. Good luck resuming walking and congrats on the 2.2 pounds gone so quickly!

Happy Birthday Coda – you’ve given us a great present! I hope you have a wonderful day! I have every intention of sticking with the 36 of us on the challenge and joining for the next one too!

USA 24of42
    FD and it feels good!
    Love my eggs and chicken breast!
    Planning to make black bean soup tomorrow!
    Night all!

Australia – Day 24 – 18 days to go of challenge πŸ™‚

Happy Birthday Coda! I hope you have a great day. Yes, Australia has a winter! Although it depends where you are from as to how cold it is! We are near to Canberra and it is very cold here during winter. We live on a hill and the wind chill is so cold already!

Fast day today πŸ™‚

Fasts – 12 Non fasts – 12

Basque Country here,
    Happy birthday Coda
    Enjoy your day and embrace this year with this wonderful new lifestyle that we are all doing our best to adapt to!!☺

Have a great day everyone – NFD for me today

Anonymous

NL day 24
    Happy birthday Coda!
    NFD today. Still on track and doing well.

Day 24 Cornwall UK. Happy birthday coda, have a good one! I’ve decided to do a second fast day today because the rest of the week is going to be busy and sociable ! Not done a b2b before, good luck to all who are b2b today! During this challenge I have learned so much about myself and my relationship with food! Yesterday, in particular was the first β€˜challenged’ fast day , meeting with friends in the pub with plates of yummy smelling food wafting past my nose when I was feeling SO hungry!! But I know that I can do this and the encouragement, advice,links on this thread is amazing! Thank you one and all.
    I will be with you till the end coda! And on the next one!
    I’m very impressed with the amount of exercise that’s happening, I know that weights are really good and have started using these more in my pilates routine, though not heavy ones! I do use my body weight ie plank, pressups etc, important to keep strength as you get older.
    To all those feeling under the weather, At the beginning of winter I started on A probiotic capsule as well as vit tablet daily and have not had any illness at all, even with OH and grandchildren being poorly around me! OH now on them and says he feels much better and the cough he’s had for months is nearly gone – refuses to go to the Dr!
    Enough now must get on with pilates home routine! Good luck evryone.

UK day 24 feel so happy this morning , woke up and actually felt lighter , jumped on the scales and after no shift for ages 2lbs down, admittedly I jumped off very quick and even though I know it might be a temporary thing it’s really buoyed me up, so much so I’m going for my first b2b, I’ve been thinking about adding a 3rd fast day to my week and for me Monday,Tuesday & Thursday seems a good option so I’m going to join Daisyand Millie and BacktotheFuture – hope it’s gone well for you 2

Happy Birthday Coda,have a great day X

Rocy65 You must have posted whilst I was typing – come on we’ll do this b2b together – go girl !

Switzerland – Day 24 – NFD

Happy birthday Coda – hope you have a lovely day!

Yesterday’s FD turned out to be a hungry one – some FDs pass without a grumble, others not so easily. Didn’t help that my OH was baking bread again…

Managed 1km swim in the local outdoor pool this morning – 8C when I got in, but luckily the water was 25C. The sun even came out at one point, so I have dug out my tinted goggles for next time!

Thanks backtothefuture. I had my first walk tonight and might have pushed it a little too much but feel so happy to be exercising again.

Uk day 24 – NFD…but like Brightonbelle, woke up feeling lighter this morning – jumped on the scales and straight off because I’m not going to claim a weightloss until my weigh in day. Pounds need to stay off until then for me to really feel they’ve gone. But so good to feel a little lighter!

Day 24– Colorado, USA

Last night while watching TV with OH, instead of just lying on the sofa, letting dinner digest, I picked up my dumbbells & got to work!

Did circuits of body-weight & dumbbell exercises like squats, push-ups, lunges, leg lifts, swings, presses, curls, etc. It wasn’t difficult at all. Actually felt good & only took about 20 minutes, all while catching up on a favorite program with my OH.

Now that’s a habit I’d like to make stick!

Everyone have a terrific day! πŸ™‚

And Happy Birthday, Coda! Hope it was wonderful!

Hats off to And….exhale. Going swimming in an outdoor pool at just 8 C out. Wow!!
    I know you said the water is heated, but for me once in that pool, I’d never get back out. Too cold & I’m a weather wimp. Brrr.
    Glad though that you’ve found an activity you’re enjoying doing.

US SE Day 24 NFD

It’s so funny that I also woke up this morning feeling lighter. After a week of blah results on the scale of up and down every day… this morning was down 2lbs. I know it’s not my weigh in day and it will probably change by then, but boy it sure gives you a good feeling for just a moment.

I’m so grateful I stumbled across your original post Coda. I had never joined one before and never imagined I would but it has turned out to be such a good experience. Maybe it’s because our group is full of supportive, wonderful people who are so willing to share experiences. Whatever it is… thank you all. It’s made a huge difference to me. My morning coffee will definitely not be the same without you all. PS. Happy Birthday Coda!

US/Day 24 – HAPPY BIRTHDAY CODA!!! Enjoy πŸ™‚
    NFD for me today …FD yesterday went great…was able to go 20 hours with liquids only and then dinner. Stayed under 500 cals (YAY!)….workout and eat under my TDEE is my goal today, mindful (not mindless) eating today!

US, Day 24 – NFD today. Fried egg on a tortilla with a sprinkle of grated cheddar. FD went well. Fish and salad for dinner. I lost everything I put on during my weekend in Florida and a bit more. 120.2. SOOOOOO close to my goal.

I have lost about two pounds during this challenge. Creeping down, down being the operative word. I will take measurements on Day 41.

I will fast again tomorrow because we are headed out for the long Memorial Day weekend a couple of days early.

Hi all – thank you for my birthday wishes – I am having a lovely day (albeit at work at present) looking forward to my meal tonight. I am 14 lbs lighter now than at my last birthday and while I thought by this time I would be seeing even less of me I am still very happy. That is 14 lbs I am not carrying around but 28 more pounds to go!

I made a card a while back with my starting weight and marked down in half pounds or 500g my weight until I got to my ultimate goal. When I achieve the next step down I mark in the date achieved. I love it when I move two or three steps down in one go. Just another visual reminder.

Committedtochange – did I miss a day for you? I have day 22 then day 24?

I must say how refreshing to read from your posts – how much you all seem to be ‘enjoying’ this challenge. You have certainly stepped up to the mark and am really proud of you all. If ever there was a birthday present it is knowing something that I ultimately started for myself has had a positive impact on others around the world. So thank you for joining me and this is only the begining x

Day 24 Gloucestershire, UK: Birthday Greetings Coda and good weight-loss since last time. Non-fast and work-day for me today. Now I’m off until after the bank holiday. Weight and measurements seem stuck! Thinking of all the health benefits instead. Carry on everyone.

Day24 California- Good morning and Happy Birthday,Coda. Best wishes for a great day. Today is a NFD. I plan to eat very light today since I am taking my 87 yr old neighbor lady out to an Italian restaurant this evening. I will try to be very mindful of my selections and will not overeat. I will bring half or more of my plate home as tomorrow is a NFD as well.
    Today is a work day, must be on my way. Hope everyone has a great day!

Viewing 50 posts - 1,251 through 1,300 (of 2,344 total)

You must be logged in to reply.