31 Day March 2017 Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
31 Day March 2017 Challenge

This topic contains 3,249 replies, has 179 voices, and was last updated by  therealwil78 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 3,256 total)

• Day 1 – Surrey, UK FD

Hello again. Good to be back. January was a great success for me, February went well until the middle of the month and then slightly fell apart. My aim is to get back on track in March and lose 7lb setting me up nicely for the rest of the year. I’m going to use that today is the first day of Lent to help me through.

Good luck everyone.

Happy Birthday @missj2002 !!

2nd post
    Teeheee @dutch – fancy that you are really a twin! I’m guessing your birthday is the same date as your twin’s (!) Although if a midnight birth, I suppose it can span 2 days. My late mum’s birthday was 5 days after mine and hers is the 18th, too ๐Ÿ™‚ Looks like we both narrowly escaped the Ides of March, or the worst one, anyway.

Day 1 London FD starting weight 52.4, goal 50.4

I’m a total newbie to 5:2 (completed my first fast day on Monday) so looking forward to discovering more about this way of life!

It’s more about measurements for me than a number on the scales and I’m not used to weighing myself every morning so will have to put a post-it up in the bathroom to remind myself.

Also very interested in the various health benefits of calorie restriction, I want to live to 100!

Good luck to everyone!

@lany36, sorry you’re feeling demotivated. Just because you only have a small amount to lose, doesn’t mean it’s not important to you. I hope this new monthly challenge provides support and encouragement to you.

Day 1, UK, NFD.

Starting weight 155lbs
    Goal weight 150lbs

I plan to do 2 FDs per week and hopefully start incorporating some gentle exercise once I’m back to work.
    I weigh and take measurements every Wednesday morning but it’s my birthday next week and I’m away so I’ll weigh and measure Tuesday instead.

Good luck all and Happy St David’s Day.

Day 1 Portugal NFD

March start weight 62.4kg
    March goal weight 60.4-60.9kg
    Weight loss slowed in February so hopefully this is a realistic goal.

Would like to weigh 58 kg or a little less by end of June when we head to the southern states of USA for a holiday.

I need to be mindful of what I eat, not just guessing calories all the time.
    I need to drink more water especially on FDs
    Exercise 3-4 sessions per week.
    I need to be strict on FDs – keeping them under 500 calls….800 doesn’t count as a FD and feels like a bit of a waste…

Day 1 Kent, UK, 1st goal lose 4 lbs this month, 2nd goal lose 2 inches from my waist through 15 mins targeted exercise per day. Waist currently 35.5 inches or 90 cm which is not pleasant even for an hour glass shaped woman(more like 24 hour glass woman).

Good Morning Marchonians

Interestingly spell check wanted to change Marchonians to March onions which I thought was rather appropriate for those of us that are hoping to peeloff layers of fat.

First five minutes of side stretches were a breeze but I have done these types of stretches at Yoga and Dance classes for years. Five minutes is a long time when clock watching though. I bought myself a nice big wall clock with bright red second hand. No excuses for shortening the session, to the second.

Not weighing or measuring until the end of March but will log my 3 fast days per week and record success in terms of my finely tuned knowledge of my own body. I am choosing to reduce stress this month and enjoy the benefits. No morning alarms, no late nights, plenty of rest, plenty of meditation. I am relaxing my way through March. Stress is a major factor in weight gain.

My plan
    No carbs or processed foods
    No added sugar
    Lots of water
    Include Kefir and ACV daily
    Walk 10,000 steps minimum
    Do specific waist exercises for this month 15 mins
    Stick to 23/1 everyday but increase food on non fast day gradually, high fibre, more protein to give body more contrast of feast and fast.

Good Luck everyone

Day 1. Belfast NFD

Starting weight 157.5lbs; waist 35.5 inches; BMI 25.4; waist to height ratio 0.54
    Fasting days Monday (and sometimes b2bTuesday) and Thursday
    I don’t have a precise goal, but 1lb a week would be good. I’m more concerned with my waist measurement, which I would like to descrease significantly. I love exercise and I’ve just bought a hula hoop to join JoJo challenge.
    feeling very positive……
    Missj2002 have a very happy birthday ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Day 1 โ€“ CARDIFF UK โ€“ FD

Starting Weight : 165.5lbs

Goals
    1. Lose 8.5lbs
    2. FD M, W, F – at least one liquid only per week
    3. Sugar/Refined carb free

Hapus Dydd Gลตyl Dewi (Happy St Davidโ€™s Day) & Happy Birthday @missj2002

Good luck everyone

Day 1, Sheffield, UK, FD

Starting weight = 81.9kg
    Target weight at the end of March = 78.9
    -3kg in March

I managed -4.1kg in Feb with a self-designed weekday fasting routine.
    Hopefully I can maintain this progress, but it’s a funny game sometimes is this IF. So I’ll be a bit cautious for now.

@fayefaye – There aren’t any requirements to use a scale unless you want too. I tend to use a scale often but that is just because I like to do that kind of thing, not that I really care that much.

@fatrabbit – If you are using a bioimpedance scale it is important to be at a normal hydration level to get a reasonable measurement. Personally I find that very difficult with the 5:2 eating style. I tend to dehydrate on fasting days and it probably takes more than a day to get back to a normal level. Basically I’ve lost my sense of what is normal. If you are careful and do the measurements at the same hydration level then they can have some meaning. It would show if you are gaining or losing fat. Last Aug. I was measuring 25% and a DEXA scan pegged me at 24.5% body fat at the time. However I have a scale that uses both the hands and feet. (Since then I’ve lost over 6kg and I think that was mostly fat putting me in the 18% to 20% range.)

General – For the people having trouble I can’t be sure what will work because we are all different but avoiding refined added sugar made a *H*U*G*E* difference for me. If nothing else reading so many labels will make one more aware of what they are eating. Frankly my hunger was so out of control I don’t think I could have really fasted without cutting back on my sugar consumption. I was consuming around 60g of sugar a day or about 15 teaspoons. Now I consume less than 20g of sugar a day, actually often a lot less. It wasn’t easy but now I find that refined sugar is even too sweet. I do get some in some sauces otherwise it is only when I choose to eat a sweetened dessert. The difference is I’m very mindful about sugar. That being said I still get weight plateaus, that is just kind of how the human body works.

Day 1 Germany NFD

March goals:

– Starting weight 61,3 kg, goal for March 2 kilo, final goal 56 kg
    – Exercise

All my adult life had a stable 56 kg.Did 5 years of ballroom dancing 4 times a week until making a wrong move at the tango and was in hospital for a week. We decided we needed a complete change to get a bit more excitement back into our lives. Well, we moved to the north of Germany to a small town near the coast, DH and I (or is it me?) working together again. No more dancing, just sitting behind my desk at work. My weight started to move in the wrong direction slowly. My great downfall came last year: I dicovered Hรคagen-Dazs’ Macadamia Nut Brittle and found it irresistable. But it got worse: At Christmastime we got a whole load of Lindt chocolate from lovely people who appreciate our work. In January my weight was uo to 72 kg at a height of 163 cm. Way to much, so I needed a change. Found the documentery, read the book and got started. It’s going very well and I’m very pleased with this WOL, it’s easy to intergrate in everyday’s life.

Planning b2b tomorrow and Friday

Good luck everyone

Oops forgot to say NFD as I did an extra one yesterday. Usual fast days are M, W, F leaving me free to enjoy the weekend.

Day 1…..Florida……FD

Holy Moly….. woke up to 77 emails this morning regarding posts that have come in. I’m posting before I read them all, so I don’t run out of time before I have to get ready for work.

Let’s see……
    starting weight…. 148lbs, I’m up 2lbs from Friday and I know why so not upset at all about that.
    Goal weight…. 143lbs
    Headed home for a week, mid month, so this a pretty lofty goal.
    Giving up soda and sweets for Lent….. easy peasy.
    Trying the ACV drink for one month, starting yesterday! What an awful concoction. Who’s brilliant idea was that! Lol
    I think that’s it……
    oh wait the hola hoop, got to find me one of those and give it a whirl too!

Welcome newbies!

Thanks AT for. Heading up the group this month!

Peace be with you!

Hi,I haven’t posted on this forum for the last 2 years , I started my journey in January 2015 and loved the fast diet, in the past I had done every diet under the sun they all worked and then eventually it all got put back on . I listened to all the advice on this site and completely changed my way of eating and how I viewed food I lost 3 stone (42 pounds )and it completely changed my life, the support from everyone was fantastic throughout my journey. I am really pleased to report that I still weigh 10.5 (66.67kg)I am 5ft 9 tall I have continued to do mainly 16/8 with a few very low calorie days but haven’t done a 500 calorie fast day for some time. I am signing myself up to the March challenge to kick of my fasting again and hopefully loose the 5 pound I have a holiday and a significant birthday coming up and want to be bikini ready , not something I would have dreamt of wearing a couple of years ago , fasting suits me and my body loves it so im getting those 5lb gone by end of March , good luck today

Day 1, Lancashire, NFD
    Starting weight: 189lbs, would love to get down to 182lbs by the end of March.
    My main aim is to cut down on the crap I am eating, and up my exercise. I currently aim to do 7,500 steps, which is quite hard as my job is office based so I spend all my work days sat behind a desk. I would like to up my steps to 10,000 if I can.

Very inspiring! Thanks for ur report. I needed that cos I am very hungry now ๐Ÿ˜€

Day 1 USA FD

Day 1 for me–NFD. FDs will be Monday and Thursday. May throw in a 3rd day from time to time. My goal is to go from today’s weight of 137 to 125, but would really like at least a 7 lb loss this month. Good luck to everyone!

Sirisan St Louis MO USA
    Day 1 NFD
    Current wait 147
    Gold this month to lose 5 pounds
    Overall goal to get down to 136 pounds
    Would like to get waist from 34 to 32 and BMI down to 24. Focusing more on belly and using my fascia blaster daily.
    Doing 5/2 Best days are Monday and Thursday
    Want to drink more water, continue daily yoga, kettle bell workout three times a week, elliptical two times a week and increasing steps to 10,000 a day. Want to drink more water

Someone (@Chloe) very kindly informed me I was posting on the February page (thank you) and needed to come over here to the March challenge. So here I am and looking forward to this journey with all of you lovely people.

Best of luck to all of us.

Day 1– Colorado, USA — NFD

Onahealthyhigh– What a fantastic list of pointers!

I’ve been successful with many of them already (smaller dishes, no trigger food in house ever, increasing my veggies) but never thought of the measuring cups & spoons method. A solid week of tracking calories with the measuring cups to work out what fits into a Controlled Non-Fast Day, then no longer needing to obsess over continued tracking is brilliant.

Thank you for sharing your successful insights!!

Updating time

@coda – how lovely for you to have your home from Australia – I have very fond memories of Tim Tams (penguins bars just don’t cut it!!) and Cherry Ripe were my favourite with dark chocolate of course!!
    @flourbaby @pashaw – you both had a brilliant February – keep doing it and you should get to your March target – we are all here for you. Thank you @flourbaby x
    @sarah57 – welcome back on board – you are absolutely right in that the accountability of signing in daily and support from this forum keep us on the right track.
    @andโ€ฆ exhale – chin up “Weight loss is like driving; when you veer off the road, just make a u-turn and head back in the right direction” You have all the support of this forum x
    @missj2002 – HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU – enjoy with no guilt – this WOL allows us to do this!
    @southcroydonkate – thought we had not heard from you for a bit – welcome back after your short break
    @jojo58 – nice to have your experience and support not the forum – I’m looking forward to the waist challenge
    @snowflake56 – you are on the right track – your loss since January is brilliant!
    @bert1802 – thinking of you on your FD – you have got this – I’m yet to get my hola hoop too so started some yoga waist exercise this morning at my yoga class in the meantime

Time to get ready for my afternoon of volunteering so will catch up with more posts later today

HI all ๐Ÿ™‚

@at

Starting weight: 177 lbs (around 12.5 stone, 80 kg)
    Goal weight: 154 lbs (11 stone, 71 kg)

Can someone help to explain the acronyms? I know FD and NFD but not sure about the others.

I have just completed my first ever 2-day fast, and I lost 3 lbs. Really pleased. I saved all my calories for dinner. I have been given a real confidence boost. I expect I’ll put on 2 lbs by next fast but pleased to see progress.

Have to say I found it very simple. I think this is going to be a diet I actually stick to!

Day 1 Maine NFD

Good morning all! I was so thrilled w/my Feb results, but we’re on vacation for a month, so not expecting the same amazing results. My goal for the month is to be down just 3 lbs – with fast days the same mon/thurs. I plan to exercise every day – no reason not to get a “therapy” walk in every day – except for our 3 day ride home at the end of the month. I know this month will be a challenge with all our traveling, but I believe, with all your support, I can do it! This is a WOL & just typing that is empowering!

Thanks AT for leading the month – I look forward to your motivational sayings! Oh, won’t be joining the hula hoop challenge – think hubby would faint if he saw that packed! He didn’t say anything about the scale – but don’t want to push it! I, however, will keep the image of people hula hooping around the world as a great motivator!

Good luck everyone with our March fat melt…gives new meaning to “March Madness!” Make it a great day & month!

Day 1- NFD – Virginia, USA

Goal weight for March is 170 lbs, currently 175 lbs. My first FD wasn’t terribly hard but I started with breakfast too early so I was hungry right at noon, I’ll try skipping breakfast tomorrow and start with lunch. Good luck to all!

day 1: FD, AZ, USA
    Starting weight: 147 lbs
    Goal for march: get into the 130s

Good morning fasters!! I went MIA in march because of the stresses of life. I will NOT be doing that again. I realized I need this forum for accountability. Jan I checked in everyday, I lost 10lbs. Feb I checked in here and there, lost 2 lbs. wahhhhhh!! I didn’t get the HR position I was going for but it’s ok. There’s something better for me out there. Off to do a 7 mile hike today ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck to all the new comers! You couldn’t have a better support group then this global gathering!!

Georgia/USA/Day1/NFD:

March Goals: Stick to the program. On NFD’s stay under TDEE. Exercise 5 days a week. Get totally committed to sticking with my program on NFD’s. FD”s are easy. It’s the NFD’s that I continue to struggle with. I use the app MFP, but I seem to struggle anyway. I was very disappointed with last month and the few months prior to be honest. I’ve been in maintenance mode for several months now, but I really want to loose more weight. I keep on singing the same sad song. I’m so over it.

Day 1, Gozo, Malta, NFD

It’s Ash Wednesday today so no snacks but it’s a NFD for me. I’m 65.6 kilos today. I’d like to be 64 kilos.

Happy Wednesday everyone.

Day 1,Cumbria,nfd
    Hi everyone, I started the 5:2 (although I’m initially starting with 4:3) on Friday. So far I’ve had 3 successful fasts, hoping it continues the same way!
    Starting weight 24/02/17-157lbs
    Goal weight-126lbs
    Good luck! Xx

Day 1, USA, Missouri Ozarks, FD

Happy March and thanks AT for continuing our threads ! February was very successful for me, I have achieved and surpassed my goal weight so my new goal will be to maintain, to continue the daily exercise and drink lots of water, green tea, etc.

Starting weight 142, Goal Weight 145 – hope to maintain a range of about 143-147. That would be fine.

To your health all. And Happy Birthday to our birthday girl ! Enjoy your forties, I think mine were wonderful but it is hard to remember that long ago. haha…

Day 1 – London – NFD

Starting weight 9st 6
    Goal loss for march – 4lbs.

Aim for the month is to stick to my usual two fast days (mon and thurs), no treats during the week and then a few on the weekend. Also try not to minesweep the children’s left over food which is SO tempting!

Good luck all

Chicago, Illinois USA
    Day 1 NFD

On NFDs I am doing the weight watchers points plus diet to coral my bad eating habits. Just started the points plus on Monday because after 2 weeks of the 5:2 diet, I have not lost anything. I know this is due to gorging on NFDs.

will also allow myself 1 cheat day a week to not count or fast.

Day 1 Chicago, Illinois USA NFD

Oops starting weight is 151 pounds

Day 1 Massachusetts, USA NFD
    Start weight 321.4 lbs goal by end of March 300 lbs

Day 1, NYC, NFD.

Starting: 124
    Goal: 118

Goal for March – 121

I am NOT GOING BACK. All my bigger clothes are gone. Just realized that this medication I’m on (until May I hope) is associated with weight gain. Hell and damnation!

Day 1- Wyoming,USA – FD

I’m new to this and today is my first fast day. I’m starting at 203lbs and my goal is to lose 8 lbs this month. Also to exercise 5 days a week.

Good Luck!

Good morning from Philadelphia!! As 2017 Lent is here I would like to join the March challenge. My hopes are to make some friends and lose some weight and strengthen my faith.

Day 1, Wednesday โ€” Colorado USA โ€” NFD

Well, Iโ€™ve finally busted thru my mid-winter blahs & have halted the scales climbing back up.
    I feel reinvigorated & ready to charge into March!! ๐Ÿ˜€

156 lbs. = Original start weight of 5:2
    147 lbs. = March 1, 2017

143 lbs = Goal for March (aim for 4 lb loss.)
    136 lbs = Ultimate Goal Weight (62 kg.) That’s 11 stubborn pounds left to tackle.

—–
    Plan for March:

1– Fast Days on work days Tuesday & Thursday. Enjoy dinner only of 500 calories.

2– HIIT high-intensity interval training 2x/week, plus easy aerobic cardio on other days (especially walking & jogging with my doggy.)

3– Continue heavy weight training 3x/week. Even if it means gaining a bit of weight due to added muscle. The strength, balance & health of extra muscle (especially as I age in a very physically-demanding job) are totally worth the impact on the scales!
    ——-

My three Mantras:

1– “BACK TO BASICS” of following 5:2 correctly.

2– Keep striving for “PROGRESS, NOT PERFECTION”

3– Before putting anything in my pie-hole, ask myself “WILL THIS GET ME CLOSER TO MY GOALS?”

Can I join please? I’ve got two stone to lose before next summer (2018) so slow and steady but also want to see my blood pressure lower and increase my chances of getting pregnant!

Nfd from Berkshire UK

Hi, wanting to join this challenge. Looking to lose as close to 12 lbs as possible! Not very realistic I suppose lol However have already lost 16 lbs doing 5:2. so here goes the last few pounds!!

Sorry that should have read DAY 1

Day 1-Wisconsin, USA-NFD
    I hope I am in the right spot for AT’s March challenge. My starting weight for the month is 178.5 and my goal is to be at 170 or below by the end of March doing ADF. My ultimate goal is to reach 160 or below. Good luck to everyone as we encourage and help each other lose more weight through this month of March!

Day 1 – NFD – Ontario, Canada
    Start weight 139
    March goal 135
    End Goal 130
    (Orig start weight 150)

This is my third month, my posting wavered a little 2nd half of Feb but my commitment to 5:2 has been solid, I’ve fasted every M & Th except one week where due to family hols I only did one FD. Generally I’ve found FD to be a struggle of will & thought, not a physical battle. I generally do HiT exercise 2x week on an elliptical (on FDs) and yoga 2x on two other days of the week. Now that the snow is mostly gone I hope to do brisk walking two more days of the week. I’ve two young, hungry, boys to feed at home so that tests my meal prep a little. I usually bulk prepare FD chicken soups full of broth, veg and chicken and freeze them for FD dinners for myself. I keep gluten free, have done for three years, though I was straying a little before joining 5:2 in January. I’ve recently discovered that I am anemic and so am adding iron to my diet.

Happy to see lots of familiar names and new ones! Good to have friends on this journey.
    Happy Birthday to Miss2002

Day 1 – USA – FD

Happy March, all! Got my hula hoop out, dusted it off and ready to start March with a goal of 5 continuous minutes a day! I’m lucky I can keep it up on my waist for 20 seconds now, but that’s what the whole month is for, right? Other goals for March include: ACV with water daily, 16:8 on NFDs and FDs, free weights 3x a week. Starting weight: 186.8. Looking to lose .75 to 1 lb per week in March. Totally disgusted with measurements at this time; I took them and wrote them down – mind-boggling!

Day 1 – California – NFD
    I am 210lbs and want to lose about 60lbs. Since I’m 58, losing weight is much harder than it used to be, so I’m happy for this challenge–it is a good way to start 5:2. Best wishes to all.

Almost day 2 west Australia
    Should be in bed as its almost midnight but waiting for a cake to cook. It’s called ‘ Food for the Gods’ , made to a specific recipe for a World Day of Prayer ‘ focusing on the Philippines. Has a cup of butter and TWO cups of sugar. I don’t plan to have more than just a taste!!
    @lany – I hear you and commiserate. My journey is a lot like yours in that weight loss has stalled. However what makes it annoying for me is that I have been quite diligent and not lost!!
    Thanks to all the lovely people – can’t recall you all – who have been so supportive. It’s one of the main reasons I stay on the thread and keep 5:2ing.
    Will just keep the hips swinging and whittle away my waist if nothing else with the hula hoop challenge . Just have to work out how to keep the hoop going for more than one rotation !!๐Ÿ˜„

Day 1 – USA (Illinois – west of Rockford) – NFD

Start weight 160.2 pounds
    Goal weight 160 pounds (maintenance)
    Real name: Gwynne, retired school music teacher, private piano teacher, choir director

This is a wonderful place and way to lose pounds and for me, maintenance. I began our WOL nearly a year ago in Mid-March at over 190 pounds. With the help and support of this blog group people, challenges started by @coda in May, I’ve been able to lose about a pound a week and then maintain it. At my annual physical in December, my doctor really noticed my over 30 pound loss but had not heard about IF. He was most impressed.

In maintenance, I try to do a 6:1 system. I also have done my best to eliminate carbs and sweets or only a tiny morsel of dark chocolate. High fat, low carb works best for me but will include a carb or two on an exercise day. I do a Silver Sneakers exercise class at my gym, twice a week.

@at – thank you for hosting and all your work
    @ChiTown Gal – I was born in Chicago, and am a huge Cubs fan. Went through the whole playoffs and World Series with these folks (including @lindasue a Cards fan!) Looks like we have other midwesterners here too — @1maureen in Wisconsin.
    @missj2002 – Happy Birthday to YOU! ๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚
    @pamie – we’re likely some of the oldsters around here – I will be 69 in May
    @nw1900 – some of the abbreviations we use:
    OH or DH – Other Half or Darling Husband
    MFP – My Fitness Pal, a great app for phone or iPad for tracking calories’
    TDEE – Total Daily Energy Expenditure, a calculated number of calories to simply subsist. You can find the calculator on this website
    ACV – Apple Cider Vinegar, various recipes abound for healthy weight loss and more
    I’m sure I’m missing more, but those are some of them.

Onward and Downward!

Day 1 second post (posted in error for Feb challenge, now in correct month!)

Thought I would add some measurement stats to my profile. Bmi 26.4 Waist is 36 inches height/weight ratio is 0.52 and hips a HUGELY embarrassing 45 inches. Goodness only knows what those stats would have been 2 stone ago!

I have been reading waist measurements on here with interest. They seem to vary so much and seemingly without much correlation with actual weight or bmi.

This is the very first time I have measured, using a handy gadget called a myotape which manages the correct tension for you. Does anyone have any idea of suitable goals for inch loss in relation to weight reduction?

DAY1 CANADA FD

Thanks AT logฤฃing us all inโค.

Welcome to all the newbies. I am planning to focus on my NFDS this month and stay below TDEE.

Good luck to us all!

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 3,256 total)

You must be logged in to reply.