3 day versus ADF

This topic contains 52 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  michelemm1 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 53 total)

• Hi fasters

I am relatively new to fasting. I have been doing OMAD and VLC for years though. I finally did my first 4 day fast last week and felt great. Now, I plan was to continue with ADF. However, I seem to find that more difficult than the 4 day fast I did. So… my question is does anyone find it easier to do longer fasts versus the every other day? I think I might try this more often instead.

Thanks for your feedback! I am just trying to find the right fasting style that works for me and my body.

I just have a feeling that I can go longer without and then eat versus trying to manage it every other day.

Thoughts?

I’ve done ADF from September until Christmas losing 2 stone; I found it not too hard to do as knowing you could eat more the next day would help me manage FDs. Doing ADF is tricky over weekends though, so would occasionally have a weekend off, recently I’ve started fasting 3 days a week; Mon, Weds & Fri so I can relax a little a weekends, I’m near my goal weight & am now a healthy BMI. Personally, if I did 3 or 4 days in a row, then I think I’d overeat the next few days & would probably undo any good I’d done, I like the ADF way better, but we’re all different, so whatever works for you!

Hi Michele:

It depends on what you are after. If you want to lose weight, then ADF would probably be the best. If you want the ‘other health benefits’ that can be enjoyed from fasting, then monthly four day water fasts will fill the bill.

You might check ‘The Longevity Diet’ by Valter Longo for information on four day fasts.

Good Luck!

Hi there

Thank you! Hedgehogs– this is motivating to here about your weight loss. I appreciate having someone else chime in on the ADF. I like the consistency of it, but need to be more mindful of sticking to it. Do you eat anything on your fasting days? I seem to do better with no food on those days.

Simcoeluv- Thank you so much as well. I am in it for both:) I would like to lose some weight, but not much and I already workout 6-7 days a week.

I could do ADF and then throw in 3-4 day fasts if I want the additional benefits. All I know is that I felt amazing after that 4 day fast. Just clear, nice skin, energy, mental clarity was awesome.

I was a little tired a few times, but pushed through.

I will check out the Longevity Diet as we’ll.. I am a geek and embrace any knowledge on health, fitness or behavioral change. May I ask you, what plan do you adhere to>?

Happy Fasting. I can do this! I am already close to a good weight, but I want to lose about 5-8 lbs if possible.

Hi Michele:

I’ve switched to the Longevity Diet because I want the ‘other health benefits’. I’ve been doing it about three months and I’ve lost 8 pounds so far. Not as fast as 5:2 or ADF, but acceptable to me.

There is a Longevity Diet thread on this site with some information: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/52-and-the-longevity-diet/

Hi Simcoeluv

Thank you! I just googled the longevity diet as well before I read this. The only thing is that I am zero carb, pretty much. I have celiac, dairy free and I have been following a keto plan for about 5 years. Seems to be the best one for me. I know.. everyone is so on board with the veggies, I get it. However, I know my body and I just thrive better without them. So… the longevity diet feels more like when I was a vegan. I thought about trying the vegetables again if I am ADF… but when I think of what my tummy feels like, never mind. Lol.

I could eat the fish though. I eat lots of salmon, ghee, and all my meats are grassfed and uncured pork. I eat bacon literally everyday but people say I look great and I feel great. The only issue is that I dont ever really get hungry unless I fast!

sorry if that was too much, but thought it might help so you know where I am coming from!

Hi Michele:

I know it makes you feel better, but if you read the Longevity Diet you may find the keto diet you are on may not help your longevity much. It might be the opposite.

Thanks! I will definitely check it out.

Hi Michele:

The book is the best reference, but this interview will give you some of the basics: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+dr+longo&view=detail&mid=6D8F7CB8DEE99AFB8F436D8F7CB8DEE99AFB8F43&FORM=VIRE

Hi Simcoeluv

ok.. thank you!

Michelemm1- I do eat a little on FDs yes; only the one meal, late in the evening, usually about 350 cals. I did a liquid only fast last week on one FD & it was easier than I thought, so will try it again- it sounds daft but my problem is trying to get the shopping right, it’s hard to get the quantities right if I don’t eat for a few days, I often have food left over & don’t like chucking it! Need to plan more & stick to the list!! I’ve just started keto too, 4 weeks ago, but couldn’t do zero carb like you do! It’s been helpful getting carb cravings under control! If you look & feel great on it, then it must be doing you good! Especially after 5 years… have you listened to the 2 Keto Dudes podcasts?

Hi Hedgehogs.

I was looking for this thread and you must have been writing and then it appeared a minute ago!

I get it with throwing food away… I am the same way. I tend to stop in the store on the way home, and just get what I need for the dinner. Its easy when you are single, and just me. I do feel great on keto and the zero carb, so it must be working, Thanks for seeing my perspective!

Yes.. I love that podcast on ketpdudes. I am trying the ADF this week.. maybe throw in a few 3-4 day fasts if I can swing it.

Awesome that you started keto, for sure, it helps with sugar cravings.

I hope the ADF works. So far, so good. I lost a lb or 2 and today I had my food for dinner. It was yummy.

How are you doing on keto? It can be an adjustment, but I personally work well with it for my activity level. Speaking of, do you workout? Exercise also plays a role in dietary choices, in my opinion.

Hope you are having a good day

I’m early days on keto- 4 weeks, but getting into the swing of it, thank you! I tried it for 2 weeks then gave up, then had another go, got more prepared & have found lots of recipes I want to try, so it’s helped to look forward to trying different things rather than being miserable about what I can’t have. I’ve definitely had less cravings for carbs, & my sweet tooth is going. I can’t do really low carbs as I’m vegetarian, so most protein sources have a little carb, but under 20g every day. I’m not having lots of energy yet, nor much less appetite, I think that can take up to a couple of months? So I’ve only done walking so far, I need to get back into exercise, I love cycling. (I’ve had health problems so I’m not as fit as I used to be!)
    Well done losing a pound! The scales haven’t moved this week, but I’ve been measuring & have lost 1/2″ pretty much all over, so that’s great!
    How much weight do you want to lose?

Hi

Well, sounds like you are on a good path!! Keto takes time. I get it, even when I was a vegan, I would be low carb. I think it truly is better to not have the sugar or carb cravings…

I ate a lot last night that through me off, salt, protein, and butter. I usually do not do dairy, so we will see. I like how I feel with ADF and fasting in general, but I am so flipping sensitive to everything! I was itching last night from the dairy. I usually do not worry about salt but let me tell you —- I need to watch it! lol

Puffy today but drinking water:) Did my kickboxing class.

I have my PhD in Rehab Psychology, so I understand about exercise and health conditions. You have to take it slow and when you are ready, you are ready!

Exactly, my way of handling my food intolerances has been focus on what I CAN have and what feels good to me. Even though that is limited, I put my attention in that direction. For example, when I start trying new things like whipped cream in my tea or a ton of pork rinds… I know my body can’t handle it.

Like people always say– you do you!!

I was hoping to lose 5 lbs in my tummy! Not much but I am more interested in finding a plan that fits me well and is conducive to my lifestyle. Still thinking ADF could work…

YES! Inches matter. Nice job:)

I have kickboxing envy- I used to do it but have neck problems so it was too painful. I need to get back to exercising more…
    You’ve not much to lose then, I think those last few pounds can be hard to shift!
    Must be really tough with not being able to eat so many things… good job you can be positive!

I love exercising, really. My dissertation was on exercise behaviors. Honestly, I enjoy it for physical, but it is my mental health as well. I let it all out at the gym:0

Thank you! I try. I figure, there are only 2 options, look at the positive and go with it remind myself of what I dont have.. Umm.. I will take the first one! Most days are pretty easy since I love what I do eat. Quality over variety I guess.

How was your day?

I am eating my first meal since Monday at 8pm…. so good.

I did a liquid only fast yesterday, was okay, but I did get a really painful stomach; I’d had a tiny bit of salt, so I don’t know if it was that, not hunger but really gnawing, water didn’t help so I had to take some gaviscon which I don’t like doing… Good news on the scales though, one pound off.
    Well done you for your fast, what was your meal? Hope the scales show a bit of movement for you!
    I’m UK, where are you?

Hi Hedgehogs

I am doing the liquid fast with water and tea:) on fast days. I usually do not have anything artificial but I found a good sf chai tea that helps with my fasting, so I am indulging. lol

Yes, I have had that gnawing feeling before.. kind of annoying. Glad you are one lb down!

Yep– I was down a lb too today. But yesterday I drank a ton of water so that might have been it.

Bacon, butter and side of pork rinds. It was yummy.

US- Cali

Congratulations @michelemm1 and @hedgehogs on your success! I have much more to lose than you do, but I’m doing very well on ADF with just coffee, water and tea on fast days. I feel better not eating on fast days, and it is easier for me. After the initial fast days feeling woozy, my body now seems to be adapted, and actually “wants” to fast. I’m not afraid of it any more, and look forward to my fast days as much as my eat days. My plan is ADF, and to throw in an extra day (or more) when I can and when I feel like it. I’d like to get in at least one 4-day fast each month, because I do think the research on the health benefits of fasting is promising, and there is quite a lot of cancer, heart disease and diabetes in my family. On eat days I’m doing low carb with more fat and less protein, as I’ve found that Dr. Fung’s thoughts on excess protein may apply to me. What I love about this WOE is that I’m listening to my body now and trusting it.

Hi Onlyhermes! I love your name. Thanks so much. I am glad you joined in with us.

I had tea today for my fasting day as well.

I am the same way, I would like to do 3-4 day fasts as well for the health benefits but weight loss helps too. I 150% agree on the mind/body connection and I am learning so much about protein limits too.

I love zero carb:) bacon is my fav staple, but I also appreciate the idea of no sugar. I have been keto for so long that ADF was the next step and change that I wanted to try. It was daunting to think I could not eat my OMAD but now I see that most days are easy. How much do you eat on your eat day?? I am finding that I am still doing my OMAD.. seems to work.

I look forward to supporting each other through our health journey!

Hi Onlyhermes! Glad that you’re doing well with ADF! I do like the routine of it, & hopefully we’ll see the health benefits of it!
    FD for me today, but will eat a low cal meal tonight…

Hope everyone is having a good day! I am down 2 pounds after my fast day yesterday. I had coffee, water and a few cups of tea.

@michelemm1, lol! The name came from starting this WOE and cleaning out my closet. I told DH that I wasn’t keeping any more baggage in any aspect of my life, only my Hermes. šŸ™‚

I’ve been playing around with calories on eat days, by design and because it has just worked out that way with dinners out and celebrations. In a beneficial way, I think the varied calories and macros have kept me losing. In general though, my intention is to keep my eat days at 1200 calories (higher fat, lower carb and moderate protein), which is my TDEE for my goal weight. As long as I’m continuing to lose, I’ll do that. When that pauses, I’ll change something–maybe do a longer fast, or a fat fast, or increase overall calories, or just have a “cheat meal” and eat something carb-y that I’ve been denying myself like pizza or pasta or some such thing. What I’m loving is that I have a range of options now. I feel good and my decisions about food are not controlled anymore by my poor raging hunger hormone response. I feel like my body has calmed down and I’m not constantly fighting with my physiology in some metabolic crisis. I am so grateful to Dr. Mosley, and to Dr. Fung especially, for assuring me that my weight is not the result of a failure of character, that it is the result of a very upset body. Now that I am partnering with my body and giving it what it needs to achieve health, I am in awe of its wisdom and amazingness.

Sorry for the novel! What do you eat on your eating days? Do you have a system that is working well?

I have not tried 4 days fasts, but good for you!šŸ‘I started alternate day 24 hr fasts on March 10 and still continue. It is absolutely a routine thing for me now; easiest thing I have ever done for weight loss. You adjust very quickly. At least I did. I can go out shopping and not think about eating; I can prepare meals and not think about eating, and the best part is I never have to worry about what I am bringing to work for lunch for three days/week because itā€™s nothing.
    I havenā€™t been able to lose weight, even with exercise in 20 years, although I havenā€™t gained a lot either….and am now averaging a 2.2 pound loss per week.

Good for you KikiU! I like the routine of it, but I have to say that cooking for others can still be hard for me, even after 7 months!! I have teenage boys who are always eating, they work hard and til late in the evening, so 3 nights a week I cook for them at 9pm, that is really tough!!
    OnlyHermes- following keto means on nonFDs I eat quite a bit of fat- cooked breakfast, avocado, cheese, nuts, lots of kale & spinach. For a treat I’ve weighed out 50g of strawberries & whipped up 100mls of double cream, mix in like an Eton mess without the meringues… I don’t count calories on nonFDs, but it seems to be working, lost another pound at the end of the week! My favourite keto meal is keto pizza- I’m so chuffed to be able to eat pizza again!
    Michele-I’ve not got to the fat adaptation stage yet, so am still having 3 meals a day rather than OMAD, hope that the hunger will go soon! Hope your longer fast goes well!

HI Everyone!

Hermes- way to go! Sounds like you are losing and not gaining, so I hear you on playing around with eat days. I am very low carb, always is my go to:)

Kikiu- Awesome. I agree, I am learning that I can get so much done with ADF.. it really is habit, and this will be my 2nd week trying it out. So far, so good.

Hedge- Nice! once hit fat adaptation, it all feels even easier. I have been indulging in my SF chai latte and whipped cream even on fast days, so I am doing ok.

I did 3 classes at the gym today, even though I was tired and it is my fast day:) I still pulled it off. I would like to not change my routine at the gym just because of ADF.

Anyhow, water and tea today and keeping busy with work! I hope you are all having a great weekend.

Had a good Fd yesterday, liquid only… Michele, I’m waiting for a bit more energy before I do too much exercise, energy levels have been low since starting keto, but they’re gradually improving. 5 weeks Keto tomorrow…I am finding I’m still eating a lot on nonFDs too, I hope that tails off with fat adaptation soon also!
    Well done you for doing those gym classes on a FD! Hope that the rest of your weekend went well!

Hi Everyone! Congrats on our successes! Way to go! It’s funny, some fast days I have tons of energy, but every once in awhile, I don’t. I don’t know why. In general, I do feel better on water fast days, and that’s what makes this WOE so appealing, because I like the boundless feeling of fasting but also look forward to eat days. I am totally surprised at how this has worked out, because I could never have predicted that.

The past two days I’ve had around 600 calories of mostly fat. Probably too much protein to call it a fat fast, but I feel good and am not hungry. It will be interesting to see what the scale says tomorrow. I’ll let you know. I do think you’re right that there’s an adaptive process to this WOE.

I believe the research that the body responds slightly differently to no food vs. some food, so I imagine I do need to be careful that having 600 cal days won’t slow my metabolism too much. Tomorrow I should probably either fast with water only or do a switcheroo and eat some carbs. Lol! I’ve become my own lab experiment. šŸ™‚

It’s so interesting to hear how you’re all doing. šŸ™‚

Hi!

Ok, today I was on a food day. I haven’t eaten since Sat at 8 pm, so 48 hours without a meal. however, I had 2 pats of butter in my tea yesterday, but not letting that get me down. I am losing I think? Someone made a comment at the gym-asking if I am losing weight so maybe this working?

Hedge- yup! once you get fat adapted, you will kill it:) In other words, you will totally want to workout. Glad keto is still your plan! Research supports the fasting and keto work very well together:)

Hermes- I agree– some days are better than others but most on fast days, I am flying high..I am glad you brought this up about the metabolism. I also think we need to be mindful to not go low all the time on calories in order to keep the metabolism high!
    Keep us posted on the adaptation?:)

Hope you both had a great day!

Congratulations @michelemm1 for sticking with it. I’m no expert (by far!) but I doubt butter in your tea made any difference at all because it would have had no effect on your blood sugar, and you’re certainly still ketosing (ha! new word!) along.

I finally bought Keto sticks and have been checking, I’m almost always at 4 or “moderate” as it says on the test kit. My weight is bouncing up and down a pound for the past few days but my jeans seem to be getting larger, so something must be going on. Lol!

I’m making today a water fast day to see if I can kick myself down the scale. The difference these days is that for probably the first time ever I trust my body to know what it’s doing. It wants to be healthy, so if I help, I know it will get me there.

Hi everyone! It is so fascinating reading about all of your experiences! Thank you for sharing!!! And congratulations on all your successes!

I’m currently alternating between 2 and 3 days of fasting per week. This weekend I’m hosting a party so I figured it makes sense to do 3. I’ll be good about my choices, but it’s my little insurance just in case :p

After reading a lot from Dr Fung, I have increased my fat intake and reduced my protein and carbs. Not quite Keto, but Keto-like in a way. I agree with all of you, experimenting with my own body and seeing what works has actually been a very appealing part of this.

@michelemm1, I have to ask… I’m thinking about adding some coconut oil in my tea at the start of my fast and at the end as well, but does it change the taste of your tea????

HI!

Hermes– thank you for the reminder. It is all ok:) Going to keep going on the fasting. Today was a FD and it went ok. I had tea and water. Busy at work so that helps!

Weight totally fluctuates.. one day I am up a lb, then boom ,I drop 3. I also am at a point to trust the process and my body. Just dont eat if I am not hungry! Riding the wave.. a little hunger is ok.

Emma– YAY! We have another follower:) Yep, 2 and 3 day work for me. I am learning that ADF is prob the best plan. A bit of adapting though with my lifestyle.

I have added coc oil in the past! Yes, it does change the taste, but I learned that I am not a fan of coc oil anything. If you like the taste, for sure, try it.

I also learned that butter is yummy; however, I am switching to ghee. I have dairy issues and perhaps even a little may affect my stomach.

The cleaner the better!

I agree on the party– see how it goes. Give yourself credit for even doing a 2 day fast.

Also, Hermes- congrats on the looser jeans!! yippee..

Hola Fasters

How are you doing? I am on eating day. It was a good one, and tomorrow back to fasting. Hope you are well and I feel like this is getting easier!

Michele- my weight’s the same, up,down & up, then suddenly stays one or two pounds down. At least overall there’s a downward trend still… The last couple of days I’ve had more energy, so have done short workouts, the stamina’s not quite there yet, but I am feeling better!
    Hermes- apparently the keto sticks can be a bit inaccurate, so don’t get stressed if they don’t show what you want! Glad your jeans are larger- measuring regularly has shown more changes than the scales for me!
    Emma- hi & welcome! I was doing ADF for quite a while, now doing Mon, Weds & Fri fasts while I adjust to keto, it’s working well, & finding I can easily stick with this WOE, doesn’t feel like a diet!
    If anyone’s interested, as you were talking about keeping BMR up, here’s a good article:
    https://idmprogram.com/difference-calorie-restriction-fasting-fasting-27/

Hi, Congratulations to everyone on doing so well. I’ve read that article, @hedghogs, thanks for posting that. It is very interesting and helpful today. My understanding is that metabolism is mostly related to age, body weight and activity level–ie., TDEE, and unless one of those factors changes, metabolism doesn’t really change. As in, I’m not convinced that one can damage ones metabolism. Which was always the thing dieters have been threatened with. (Unrelated…Have you ever noticed that people criticize fat people, but then try to scare us away from dieting?) I’ve been so fretful about the mythical slowing-down-of-my-metabolism that I actually ate more than I wanted to yesterday on an eat day, because I thought I should. Which is pretty idiotic as I think about it now.

I think what Dr. Fung is saying is that fasting seems to keep the BMR higher because of the hormonal changes it produces, for one, less insulin and insulin resistance. But I imagine that in the end, pretty much any way we slice it, our need for calories is going to drop as our weight drops, unless we substantially increase our activity level and/or manage not to get older. šŸ™‚ I think that to continue to lose, even on ADF, we have to continually re-calculate our TDEE with each drop in weight. I need to just stop fretting about it and stick with the program.

In general, all else being equal, a 5’ft, 40 year old woman who weighs 100 pounds is going to need less calories to maintain that weight than a 5’ft, 40 year old woman who weighs 180 pounds. What are your thoughts?

hi faster friends;)

I love the support here. It HELPS. Many people do not get it! People are always trying to get me to eat eat eat or BMR is going to slow. I am glad I am not CRAZZY because honestly, I never believe it but then I get nervous and start eating more than I have to!

I will read this article. Hermes– I do the same thing on ED too. However, I am not sure I am even eating enough to hit my TDEE but if my body is not hungry, I can’t force it. I had a bad experience last night by doing that. Not going there EVER again. I have never been a BIG eater in general, so OMAD ADF and zero carb work for me. I love it actually.

Yes, I read age and weight are factors, and it makes sense.

I do think from your example, 100 lb lady is fine with less calories, 180 might need to eat more but it will be easier for her to lose if she cuts back on calories.

Hedge– what are your keto meals looking like?

It seems like noone on this forum mentions weight or height which is kind of cool but in the same token, I was going to share to just get an idea if I am not eating enough maybe… again, it isn’t about the number though:)

Just read the article. Best motivation for the day today of my fasting day. I needed to read something like this as a friendly reminder.

Check in with you all later!!

@michelemm1, after yesterday’s not-eating-enough panic caused me to eat more than I wanted, which then gave me heartburn, prevented me from sleeping well, kicked me out of ketosis and produced today’s somewhat reactionary and punitive un-planned water-fast day, I have made a decision. Lolol! Henceforth, until such time as I actually experience an “official” plateau, (in which I have not lost pounds, body fat or inches for 10 full days) I am not going to fret about it. Sabotaging my efforts and making myself miserable with the un-manifested worry of possibly lowering my BMR is totally nuts. If I ever actually reach an official plateau, I will deal with it then.

From now on (until such a mythical plateau actually happens) I am going to stick to my plan. Water/coffee/tea on fast days, TDEE calories on eat days. I will stop eating on eat days when I am full, regardless of the calories I’ve eaten. Part of this WOE is also to start training myself to have a normal relationship with food–eating when I am hungry, and not eating when I’m not. This is probably hilariously obvious to anyone besides me, but for me, if feels like a breakthrough. šŸ™‚

I am kind of wondering the same thing….sort of. I have been doing ADF for 24 hours for almost two months now. I have had no problems at all, except today. I find it a lot easier when Iā€™m working during the week. Or just not home. Today I was home….all day. I wonder if the timing matters?? What about M-W-F as opposed to ADF? Or 16:8 or 20:4 daily? Thinking about switching it up, but not too sure as I have done well so far.
    Thoughts?

hermes– NICE plan. I agree, I am not doing it anymore with forcing anything because of worry about metabolism. For me,this might mean eating ADF with OMAD and so be it. Not worth freaking out about. Everyone is so different. I think ketosis is the best feeling! I like feeling awake and also not all bloated. When I exceed my protein, I know I kick myself out. You are not alone on the epiphany, I am always trying to have a better relationship with food, but my problem is I actually do not like eating. Lol. I find it stressful, so I usually pick one protein and stick with that for weeks. I have been eating only bacon for sooo long now. Sometimes I get crazy with other meats, but my body freaks out with foods that I do not normally eat, so its easier to stick to what I know works. Does that make sense?

Drinking lots of water tonight, gym tomorrow and its my Eat Day. I will see how I feel and prob won’t eat until tomorrow night.

Kiki- if its working I say stick to it. I know what you mean on not being busy!! I was OMAD for years.. and ADF is new to me, It can be hard. I have even considered fasting m-thurs and then eat F, S, S… what do you think of that?

I don’t know for sure, but I did notice a big difference in going from 16:8, 20:4 to OMAD. That is one meal a day.

Hi Kiki-:)

Hermes- Obviously metabolism varies with age etc., but I do think I’ve perhaps messed mine up with being such a yo-yo dieter over the years- what others can eat on a diet & lose weight with, I don’t. Like when I first started 5:2, keeping calories under TDEE, I didn’t lose any weight after the first week, that’s why I had to do ADF. & looking at what my Mum eats (she’s active, 70, also been a yo-yo dieter for years)& she still struggles with her weight, even though she doesn’t eat much…
    I would also love to have a normal relationship with food, although different I think to you- I just don’t seem to have an off switch! I can keep eating, big meals & then still want snacks if I had free reign, so I do have to keep control. I’m hoping that with keto I will feel full easier! And not looking forward to maintaining, that’s another battle!
    Kiki- I did ADF from September through until 6 weeks ago, & found weekends harder. I started keto 6 weeks ago & adjusting to that & finding weekends hard anyway was a bit much, so I’ve started M-W-F, & finding it relatively easy. I don’t worry about IF, would like to do that maybe when I feel the benefits of keto! If it fits in with your life, then it’ll be much more sustainable.
    Michele- I made some keto lemon & poppy seed muffins over the weekend, which were lovely (I put alot less sweetener in than the recipe so I don’t get my sweet tooth again!) And I made some seed crackers which were amazing, had with lots of salad & cheese. And I’m definitely getting some more energy, so have been able to do exercise again… Don’t do the gym though, just rebound at home & cycling.
    I wouldn’t like to fast Mon-Thurs, & have the rest of the week off, I think the weight would go up too much on the other days, I notice mine goes up just over the weekend. I know it does fluctuate so shouldn’t get so hung up about it, & probably not good to weigh as often as I do!!

Hi everyone! You are all inspiring, this forum helps so much. @michelemm1, what do you mean when you say your body freaks out when you eat various proteins? I can relate to everything you’re saying, and often think that (ironically, considering how much weight I’ve gained in the past 10 years) that I don’t really like eating either. I love beautifully prepared, fresh, organic food that is served and presented well, and admire some of the new, young chefs today. But eating at home is something I need to work at. I shop at Whole Foods and buy mostly organic, but I prefer eating simple things rather than cooking elaborate meals. Almost every day for lunch on my eat days I have full-fat cottage cheese with an avocado and a few pistachio nuts.

@hedgehogs, those muffins sound so good. My disfunction is that I would likely eat the entire batch in one sitting. šŸ™ I so admire you for not having to do that. Aargh. Someday I hope! I hear you about the off-switch! Yikes, before this WOE, I could eat shockingly huge portions, but they were always carbs. I could easily eat most of a cake, or a huge plate of pasta, or a half-dozen doughnuts. There’s something about carbs and my biology that just don’t get along. It’s like sugar hacks my security system and over-rides all of my checks and balances. I’d love to understand why, but for now, I have to say, I have a “fear” now of simple carbs. I wonder if changing to this WOE will effect your metabolism in positive ways as time goes on. Dr. Fung seems to think it’s possible.

@kikiu, I agree with Michelemm1, for now do what is working. There’s nothing wrong with trying various methods, but keep in mind that no matter what you do, you’ll probably still have occasional days where it is harder or you’re hungrier, but you’ll have to assess whether that’s worth changing your plan. This WOE is easier than simple daily calorie restriction, but it’s still a change for most of us from how we were eating when we gained weight, so it may still be challenging occasionally.

Have a wonderful day everyone! šŸ™‚

Hey ladies!

Nice to read such positive posts. keeps me going:)

I love that we are all on the same page. I here you Hermes, my body is nooo good on carbs, I have celiac and no dairy for me (even now I am considering no butter again) I was just saying how I can’t digest many foods for various reasons, so I am better to stick to what I know works. Too stressful to “try” other foods. Plus, I love bacon. hehe. I think am so sensitive, in general. I also shop at Whole Foods for my bacon and chicken. Sugar is the culprit to everything in my opinion:). But not everyone is the same. Some do ok on it, not me. Not even Fruits.

Sooo glad you are working on the exercise hedge!! I love it. Healthy! I am freak at the gym. Today I did kickboxing and tomorrow again. It literally keeps me going.

Where is everyone located? I am in CA.. its getting hot here already. Umm… not a fan! lol.

I was considering a 3 day fast this week but my cousin is visiting from NYC and I dont want be not eating and all that.. so I will wait until next week.

Hedge– your muffins sound awesome. I hope they were good!

Ok, heading to bed and today was an eating day. I had bacon, pork rinds ( love the crunch), some butter, and chicken. oh.. and little eggs. I feel like I ate more than usual but I am not stressing it. All zero carb, plus my Fitbit said I burned 2000! Boom.

Hope you all had a great day and thanks again for being a good fasting team.

Kiki- hope you are doing well:)))

Hermes- I put way less sweetener in the muffins than the recipe says, I think that helped so I didn’t get the urge to eat the whole lot! I made some keto cinnamon buns recently for my son to try as well (he hated them!), now those I could’ve eaten the lot- sweet things are definitely my downfall, I had to freeze them in individual portions quick! I have been strict with the keto to limit sweet stuff, I am quite an all or nothing person, there’s no sensible middle ground for me! I read a post on another forum from someone who treats his sugar addiction like an alcoholic,, can’t even had one sweet thing like an alcoholic wouldn’t be able to have one drink- I can empathise with that!
    I get the ‘fear’ as you say, I know if I slip on the keto, all will break loose!
    Michele- I’m in the UK, just had a heatwave, but back to grey & chilly again as usual!! Brilliant that you can do so much exercise, I used to love kickboxing. Can you skip? I’m trying, it looks so easy when boxers do it, but I feel like a clumsy lump!
    BTW- do you count any carbs in eggs? I hadn’t been, but read something the other day that they had 0.5g carbs, I’d seen before that they were 0? I do eat quite a few on eating days…
    I had only black coffee on my FD yesterday- that’s such a change in tastes, I never could before, so I’m pleased about that. & didn’t seem to have gone up anything over the weekend, so that was a good start for Monday!
    Stay strong everyone!

Good morning! I hope you are well! šŸ™‚ Question…How many calories are you all eating on your eat days, and how did you calculate them? I have been trying to use my goal weight TDEE (1200) and I just can’t do it with ADF water/coffee/tea only, my body is rebelling strenuously now! Yesterday I ended up eating 1600 (only good things, no binge food) but then felt disappointed in myself. I really like my fast days, weirdly, so I don’t want to go to 5:2 again, but I don’t think I can deal with my current emotional upheaval on eat days. It’s crazy that eating is more stressful that not eating. I have a loooooooong way to go to get to 110 pounds, so I’ve got to make this more automatic and less fraught. Any thoughts?

My TDEE for my current weight, 265 is 2106. So I chose a more reasonable goal, 200 pounds, and calculated the BMR 1460 and TDEE 1753 for that. So my plan now is to do 1600 calories on my eat day, and not skip breakfast. Trying to do 40+ hour fasts three days a week may also be too much and I’m making this too complicated. I’ll just fast 36 hours on fast days (7 pm. Monday to 7 am. Wednesday) and eat 1600 cals LCHF on eat days. Easy peasy and I should still be creating enough of a calorie deficit to keep losing.

I also need to keep in mind that I can always fall back on 2000 cals, or 5:2. The great thing about this WOE is that unless you just go completely off the rails, you’ll keep losing.

Good afternoon, I can totally relate to the effect carbs on my brain. Sugar is a bit like a drug in my brain too. One brownie and all hell breaks loose as far as self-discipline and thoughtful eating. lol.

@hedgehogs it’s wonderful about the black coffee. I’m working on reducing the stevia in my tea this morning. There are a few herbal teas, I can drink without stevia but I’m working on black tea so I can have my caffeine. Baby steps… Wish me luck šŸ™‚

@michelemm1 I’m in North Carolina and we are hoping Spring will finally show its face next week. We’ve had a few beautiful days but each time we go back to cold and rainy.

@onlyhermes, your plan sounds great. It makes sense; 1600 cal would be more manageable long term and the long term is what matters. 1200 seems so little. My goal weight BMR (50 yrs old, 5’3″, 125 lbs) is 1156 and TDEE is 1387 (I use the sedentary TDEE number –I figured my workouts are just a bonus) so I try to stick to 1400 calories on my eat days. It has worked well but very slowly. I lose about .25 to .5 lbs per week, and I have wild variations in my daily weight ins between my “official” Monday weekly weigh ins. In one day this week I managed to gain 3lbs only to lose 2 the next day (I’m a water retention machine I swear). 40+ hrs fasts 3 times a week does sound like a lot… but I love your idea of reminding yourself that you can tweak things at will with this WOE. You can see what works for you specifically and adjust based on your own results.

I hope today was a great day for everyone!

@emma1202, you are so right, and the wild variations on the scale are disconcerting. As I keep reading, apparently the body has all sorts of processes and reasons for retaining and releasing water and fat when it does. I’m working to be able to trust that and not derail myself because I’m frustrated with it. It sounds like you have a very good plan. I’m considering weighing myself less frequently, or as someone suggested in another thread, maybe only charting the lows.

@hedgehogs, congrats on your success! I’ve seen eggs reported as .5, .6 and no appreciable carbs. I’d be interested to know how you all are counting them. My Fitness Pal says they are zero, so that’s how I’ve been doing it. I’m happy to report from the “test lab” that a couple of handfuls of pork rinds in the afternoon on yesterday’s water/coffee/tea fast made no difference in my ketosis levels, and in fact, they continued to rise into the evening. (Whew!) I also checked them again this morning after 3 tablespoons of heavy cream in my coffee, and that has made no difference either.

@michelemm1, we’re in Virginia and spring is popping all around! Has anyone tried making fat bombs? I’m wondering if this would help get more fat into my eat days without all of the protein.

Have a great day everyone! šŸ™‚

Hermes- I don’t count calories on nonFDs! When I started keto, that was the advice, just to concentrate on keeping carbs under 20g, so I do that. I did have a spell of tracking with MFP, & it varied a bit, sometimes only 1400, which is a bit lower than my TDEE, & sometimes up to 2000. I think my appetite has eased a bit, so probably not the higher amount. When you’re supposed to fill up on fat, it’s hard to be too strict with the calories! Doing 3 x 36 hrs sounds enough to be honest, that’s what I’ve been doing recently, up until the last few weeks I did 24 hrs fasts. I do find I’m extra hungry the day after a FD, & often wake really early too! At the end of the day, if you’re too hard on yourself, then it’s just not going to be sustainable, & you could end up giving up. If it takes a little longer but is something that you can stick to, then that’s the best route I think! Virginia is beautiful, what a lovely place to live!
    I have made a few fat bombs when I started keto, yum, but as they’re sweet, it starts me off… sometimes I’ve just mixed coconut oil with cacoa powder, & a few drops of vanilla, I like it, & not too sweet. There’s lots of recipes online. Being veggie my protein’s not normally too high, so I do eat cheese instead! Glad the cream’s not affecting ketosis! I’ve seen that it can cause an insulin spike in some people on a FD, but you’re obviously fine.
    Emma- your weather sounds a bit like ours in the UK; we get a few nice days, now it’s chilly & showery… I’ve been to N Carolina many years ago, loved it!
    Michele- how’re you doing?
    Had a day out in Cambridge today, so many lovely cafes & food stalls, not good for a FD (or Keto), managed to resist, treated myself to a diet coke, which hit the spot- don’t normally drink soft drinks, so it felt like something naughty, did the trick!

Hi Everyone

Sorry not to check in! I missed you ladies. I am in CA, but I lived in VA and NC! Nice that the weather should be getting better. Always lifts the spirits.

Hermes- I have tried fatbombs, but not a fan to be honest;)

My cousin was visiting from NY so I have been busy!! I kept my ADF, but with less than 500 on eat days. I am going to go back to complete zero eating on ED starting Monday. Love keto and I am still under 5 g of carbs per day:) Yay. I just wish I could get back to not wanting to eat at all on FD. I guess it is ok as long as I stay under 500.. we will see.

Hedge- I agree, not a big soft drinker but now and then, it DOES hit the spot.

So glad to start getting back into my routine this week! Hope you are all doing well and fasting,.

My weight is the same, but not stressing it! I also have been working out still everyday even with company, so that must help.

Wish we were closer, we could have a fasting meet up!

Hello all, I’ve done regular 5:2 5:2 with zero calorie FD and ADF with zero cal FD. I lost weight quickly with ADF but some of it was muscle so I stopped doing it. Now I do a 5 day water fast once a quarter for health reasons. I find that eating keto works best for me. I’m quite active and I find I can eat <50 grams of carbs daily and still stay in mild ketosis. Almost all of my carbs come from non starchy veggies. Occasionally I’ll eat fruit in season like berries, apple or mangos. Fats are from eggs, gee, coconut, nuts, oily fish, olives, cheese from goats and sheep and grass fed red meats. On non workout days I get about 60g of protein and on workout days 110 grams. I do not eat cow dairy, wheat or quinoa as they are inflammatory to me. Occasionally I will go on a carb binge usually pizza. I do not count calories

I’m a 67 YO male 5’9″ 166 lbs very fit and on zero meds. BP and blood chems are stellar. I was 240 lbs at my most gravitationally challenged.

Hi Diverdog

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yep! keto works for me. I agree that not eating on FD is the best approach to weight loss. Sounds like you are doing we’ll yourself! Nice work.

I might be losing muscle too. I workout a lot as well. That is awesome that you still feel you can eat carbs, not me:) I just have no desire, plus with lactose intolerance and celiac, I choose not to.

I will head back to strict ADF with noneating on FD on Monday. Today I had 500, but I am not going to stress it. I am pretty lean myself, so this is more for convenience of eating, as well as autophagy, aging, and various other benefits to fasting.

Zero meds here, but I am still relatively young(er) šŸ™‚

Congrats to your success.

Good morning! @michelemm1, sounds like you survived your visitors and did well. Just being able to maintain was a huge success! @hedgehogs, thanks for all of the great information. It sounds like you have a very sensible and sustainable plan. I love to hear what everyone is doing, it’s so helpful. I’m guessing that I’ll have to lower my carbs as I lose in order to stay in ketosis. Right now, I seem to be in ketosis on fast days and most of my eat days, but I don’t worry if I fall out on eat days. Hi @diverdog, congratulations on your loss and maintenance. I loved hearing what you’ve done to make that happen.

That was the challenge for me the past few weeks, settling into a plan that my body finds acceptable! It really helped me to read Dr. Fung. Hearing that the reason most people fail on a diet is because their body basically won’t let them starve was a revolutionary concept for me. In the past, I always just thought there was something wrong with me–weak character, no willpower, etc. Now I realize that the response from my body was highly appropriate because it was trying to take care of me. I’m not treating myself as an adversary anymore. Now I realize that my eating plan must be body-approved or it’s not going to work. This has been a figuring-it-out month for me. I’m amazed to find that eating breakfast, and getting the right number of calories on eat days has encouraged my body to cooperate. I’ve always been so opposed to breakfast, now I find myself eating bacon and eggs and losing weight. Crazy.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply.