2021 Monthly Challenge – Motivational March!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
2021 Monthly Challenge – Motivational March!

This topic contains 484 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  stitchincarol 2 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 495 total)

• Day 13 UK NFD

I ate a pile of air popped popcorn yesterday evening and am feeling pretty stodgy today. It’s my only regular carb and I don’t think my body is a fan tbh. Just need to unstick my head…

I couldn’t get to sleep last night so had a lovely morning lazing in bed reading the paper & felt very indulgent indeed! I’ve also been doing those little tasks that feed other parts of me, beginning with signing up for an online meditation course which sends daily email reminders, hopefully that’ll help me get back into a daily routine. Also ordered some knitting yarn for a community project – sale bargains, but lovely colours and textures so I can really enjoy the process.

It’s a bit cold & windy outside so i’ve stayed in & pottered. Yesterday evening I made magnesium cream and today I made a pile of kale crisps – and ate the lot! I’ve been watching the rugby and researching new recipes for healthier meals this week.

Today I’m making spicy roast cauliflower & courgette with yellow rice & a tomato salsa, plus whole roast pineapple with vanilla, coconut and citrus crumb. THat’ll be 2-3 meals worth of lovely indulgent things. Tomorrow I’ll make another dal – this time sweet potato, squash and pea as a batch cook for FDs. Plus plums, apples & blueberries for fruit compote or fresh berry desserts. That still leaves aubergine and beetroot for later in the week – i’m thinking baba ganoush and roast beetroot. All sounding very yummy – and a plan helps me to stay on the waggon.

OK, back to rugby and cooking. Hope you are all having good weekends, whether full of chores, family, rest or pottering.

Day 14, NFD, Aus

How do you get your kale chips to stay crispy @michelinme? Mine never seem to go well.

Chat more later, everyone!

Day 13 – Ireland – NFD
    Day 14 – NFD

Lazy day yesterday sorting through stuff at my parents house… my dad was an incredible man for keeping records, lists, notes and he just loved history and our family… there is so much here to organise but I keep getting caught reading rather than organising 😁
    @penz I am sleeping well at the moment too thankfully! 🤞
    @stitchincarol i also live in a small cottage so not a lot of room for rearranging things and I seem to have more stuff now than ever 🤨🤣 but @snowflake56 i love that feeling of a changed space – enjoy your new layout…
    I love the fast list @songbirdme – LOVE IT ♥️
    @daffodil2010 – I was thinking of you yesterday as my mum keeps gazing out to our garden and commenting on all the daffs – her favourite 🌼 too 💕
    @michelinme it’s funny you should mention knitting and cauliflower – two things that I’ve been thinking about this week.. 🤣 so… I’d love to start knitting… only ever knitted in school and can’t help feeling I might be rubbish at it but must give it a bash and see… the other thing is cauliflower … I love raw cauliflower but haven’t cooked it in years… last week I cooked cauliflower steaks with a yum tahini dressing … so simple & delicious 😋 but my house stank of cauliflower afterwards…
    Your dish sounds delish – might try that next.. @penz I have the same problem with kale chips… 🤔

To all the mothers celebrating Mother’s Day today have a wonderful day 💕🌼🌺🌻🌷🌼💕. Also thinking of those who are missing their mums today💕

I’ll be enjoying time with my lovely mum – before I head back home later this evening . We are reminiscing a lot this weekend 💕 and memories are a happy place for us to go to right now.

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 14 – Lake District UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

Excellent Saturday yesterday, a wander, a bit of greenhouse work and the England vs France rugby was a brilliant game to watch, anyone watching that for the first time had a real treat. Scotland vs Ireland this afternoon.
    Looks like after Wales comfortable win, they should pick up the grand slam, but you never know! The postponed France v Scotland game is pencilled in for 26th February, the last match of the series.

Early walk today, forecast not good, then rugby on TV.

Take care all

Day 14 – Canada – NFD

Good morning. I think it will be a NFD today but possibly a FD800, I’ll have to see how the day unfolds. It’s chilly here again with snow on the way, maybe winter’s last gasp 😨, but I’ll get out for a long walk. It’s the first day of Daylight Savings when the clocks spring forward so the sun won’t come up until 7:38. The first day is always strange.

@stitchincarol – thank you so much for the encouragement! It made my day and will keep me strong. I don’t know how you can have all those lovely temptations without succumbing. Maybe your hypnosis? Good for you.

@michelinme – sometimes a LOT of air popcorn is the lesser of two evils. Your meal plan sound delicious.

Have a great day.

Day 14, Emden Germany, FD

@songbirdme I loved your list!

@stitchincarol I see you moving around your dining table, sometimes it’s enough to change one thing to get a different look.

@stitchincarol, @ccco and @jaifaim We decided not to move around the furniture as we have the dining table in front of the wood burner and we don’t want to eat in a colder room. We have 3 adjecent rooms on the ground floor so we can change the layout when we feel the need. We did change all the decorations and as the walls are blue, we went for blue and green things. We have a lot of filled drawers in the house, we have a broad variety of collections. Sometimes I think we have too much and throw out a lot but it doesn’t take long to get a full house again. We both are eager to do a bit of hunting again. The only thing left to do is the changing of the velvet curtains from burgundy to blue.

Have a lovely Sunday!

Day 14 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 226 lbs. But Sabotage Sunday is here! It’s a beautiful day, so maybe I can be active outside and keep the calories at bay. Still, I need to cook up a few things, too… Let’s see what happens.

Happy weekend!

Day 14 USA (Illinois) OMAD

Off to play piano for church shortly but wanted to quickly check in.

Looks like several of us are quite sports minded. I wish I understood rugby better, but likely never really will. I know “fan” easily becomes “fanatic” about it! For us around here, it is March Madness over basketball. My team, University of Illinois Fighting ILLINI (a Native American Indian tribe) are playing terrific basketball and oh so fun to watch. We are into the stage of win-or-go-home now and extremely competitive.

@northgeorgia – Sabotage Sunday. Whew. Don’t know that I have heard that. Do your best to keep your calories at bay!

@snowflake56 – your decorating sounds like it is fun and fulfilling.

@dvw – this is a terrific forum for support and guidance. I love coming here on FD’s when my resolve may be fading. We here in NW Illinois are also expecting some snow or rain. Hopefully the last gasp of winter indeed!

@michelinme – you’re very fortunate you can eat air popped popcorn with its fewer calories. I’ve always thought of popcorn as an excuse to eat butter and salt. 🙂

Onward and downward.

USA. Day 14. FD800

I also wish all mothers who are celebrating Mother’s Day today. We don’t have that until May!

Snowflake56, in reading what you said about having too many things and then, once you get rid of some of those, it quickly builds up again. It is a funny thing! I have the same problem. I donated so much twice when I moved. A few years ago, when I moved to this house, my children noticed I had storage space. I bet you can guess where they went!! LOL. I would love to go through my closets and remove clothes, many of which belong to my daughter. She stores them here but I have no doubt she will not be retrieving them ever. She doesn’t want me to donate any. One of these days, I will just have to do it.

Probably no one will be fasting today but just in case, I will start a list.

Pocket List Day 14
    @ccco. FD800

DTF
    @ccco

Have a wonderful weekend!

Day 15, QLD/AUS, FD800

I have been MIA but am joining the challenge for the second half of the month.

The first half of this month was full of work and social events – really lovely in so many ways, but also mind bending after a year of separation and isolation. So my goal was just to maintain my weight and health while enjoying the festivities. We all need to have some fun again.

And yay I am starting the challenge this month without having put anything back on, so maintaining worked with the skills I’ve been learning here. 2k would get me back in to all of my work and evening clothes, so I am going to see how close 14 days of FD800 4x a week gets me.

Day 15, OMAD, Aus

Travelling again!! I sort of planned a FD but the thought oy sitting in my hotel room with none of my usual tried and true distractions got the better of me. So I’m calling this a CD OMAD.

I can’t wait for the clocks to change @dvw. You’re right – the first day is always strange but I am looking forward to having an extra hour of light in the morning.

Welcome back @litprof and congrats on your success! The second half of this month should be a breeze for you.

Speaking of which.- we are half way though this challenge so it’s time to take stock and see how we are going. Many of you sound like your mojo is firmly in place and kicking goals. Others – myself included – are barely hanging on! Time to recommit for the next 16 days!

Day 15 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – CD

Just cannot commit to an FD, I have just had a boiled egg and a blood orange for breakfast (need food to take my supplements), there is a salad bowl for lunch and lentil soup for dinner……my aim this week is good nutrition and self care….after last week’s super scary BP spike I am looking after myself …

And funny how that means I don’t have a mind on me for an FD 🤔

My weight remains the same. I will focus on exercise, walking, DTF, good healthy food, and hopefully when I get my tests done next week all will be well.

Wednesday is St Patrick’s Day, but nothing is open, still in hard lockdown, so will probably go for a WOAM walk that day…..the usual festival is not happening, for the second year in a row. 😨

@jaifaim, the daffs are lovely aren’t they? To me they are a sign of hope, we have got through winter, spring is here. I love them.

Day 15 – Ireland – FD

Back home after a weekend looking after mum. Sugary treats and delicious cakes consumed… back on the wagon today 💪.
    Have a good day everybody 👍

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 15 – Lake District UK – FD

Good morning everyone

Cracking weekend, yesterdays Scotland vs Ireland game was a belter, second good game of the weekend, real entertaining stuff, congratulations to Ireland a close game right to the end!

Halfway through the month, ticking over quite nicely!

Looking like a better day today, so walk then gardening today I think, loads of bulbs coming through. In sheltered places here’s Scilla flowering already, a member of the bluebell family, but nothing like an English bluebell, beautiful small flower.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/11/95/4f/11954f87a06df869b0fd29ae82d21aee.jpg

Like others, I love spring and the early bulbs start their display.

Take care all

Day 16 pocket list
    I-hate-lettuce

Day 15 UKFD 800

00oohh noooo! I have again written a long post and then edited it and my Internet went down as I was trying to edit and I think I have lost the whole thing

Oh well I’m sure it was very dull anyway 😄

My plan this week is Monday FD800, Wednesday OMAD and Thursday FD800.

Welcome back @litprof

@penz – I love the smell of delicious breakfast wafting through hotel lobbies, it is absolutely irresistible! I do not think I could fast and travel!

Day 15, Emden Germany, NFD

What a lovely Sunday we had. We finished decorating, it looks really nice. The changing of the curtains took more time than expected, I changed the hooks and the rollers of the rail system as well. We always had empty window sills because of the cats and it’s un unusual look to see them full of things.

@daffodil2010 Just try to eat healthy, that can be challenging enough.

@ccco My friend has the same problem with her daughter. When she moved out, she didn’t take anything with her so all her childhood stuff is still there. She also had a room in her grandparents house with more childhood things in it, including a large doll house. The house has to be cleared out because the grandparents moved to a nursing home last month so now my friend feels she has to take all her daughters things from there as well. I think they should donate everything in the house as nobody really wants anything it they want to put it in a storage unit. Her parents wanted us to take things as well but we politely refused. I sometimes have the feeling, others think we’re running a retirement home for things others want to get rid off. How do you think you can ever solve the problem of your daughter’s clothes?

@litprof Welcome back and well done!

@i-hate-lettuce Thanks for the Scilly pictures, we have a few of them in the garden but they are not up yet. We also have Bluebells and grape hyacinths, the last onces are out already.

@fivetwofan5252 O dear, again. I try to remember to copy my post before I send it out. I hope it turns up again.

I’m missing posts of @flourbaby, I hope she’s doing well.

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 15 – Canada – FD

Good morning. We’re 2 weeks into this month and so far I’ve been able to lose 2 pounds. It doesn’t seem like a lot but I’ll take it – I guess I’ll have to, ha ha ha. But seriously, my goal this month was to lose 4 pounds so I’m on track and now I just have to stay strong.

My mother and her friend are coming for tea on Thursday and I’m already trying to grow my mojo so I don’t overindulge. We’ll have tea biscuits and a coconut almond cake. I’ll allow myself one of each and then package up the leftovers for my guests. If I write it down and tell you all maybe I’ll stick to it! 😊

@ihl – thank you for the link, such pretty flowers. Here it’s -11 with strong winds so I’ll have to dream of warmer days.

@snowflake56 – it’s so nice to freshen up your space for spring. It sounds nice. I moved into my home a year ago and had the whole place painted white before I moved in. I have a lot of brightly coloured paintings so hopefully it works.

@jaifaim – okay, back to it. I’ve added you to the pocket list. 💪

Have a great day.

Day 15 pocket list
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @jaifaim
    @litprof FD800
    @fivetwofan5252 FD800
    @dvw

Day 15 – The Ides of March – USA/GA – FD

Beware! My body is in rebellion. It hates the time change. It hates Mondays. It hates the back and forth weather. It hates the pandemic. It hates having to get up in the dark. I didn’t go crazy with food yesterday, but the unusual amount of carbs did sabotage my Sunday. A -four- pound gain in one day brought weigh-in to just shy of 231 lbs. WHAT??

That was disturbing. It seems like the closer I get to 224, the more my body is like a rubber band, ready to snap violently backwards. Then I have to work to get it back down to the threshold again. Forget February’s goal of whatever. It’s war. It’s 224 this month, because now I take it personally.

LOL!

Day 15 pocket list
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @jaifaim
    @litprof FD800
    @fivetwofan5252 FD800
    @dvw
    @northgeorgia (ZBC)

Day 15 UK FD

Back on the Monday wagon .I suspect a similar gain to @northgeorgia but I’ve stopped getting weighed on Mondays , just once a week on Friday mornings for me .Mid month time to get serious 💪

Day 15 pocket list
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @jaifaim
    @litprof FD800
    @fivetwofan5252 FD800
    @dvw
    @northgeorgia (ZBC)
    @brightonbelle

USA. Day 15. FD800

Snowflake56, I also have my daughter’s dollhouse and an international doll collection, which her father collected for her on his worldwide business trips! LOL

Adding myself to today’s pocket list!!

Pocket List Day 15

@i-hate-lettuce
    @jaifaim
    @litprof FD800
    @fivetwofan5252 FD800
    @dvw
    @northgeorgia (ZBC)
    @brightonbelle
    @ccco. FD800

DTF
    @ccco

So far so good! My new scale has a slightly different weight for me but I will ignore that and keep moving forward. I see some of the day’s challenges here today, so I wish you all the best.

Day 15 USA (Illinois) NFD

I managed quite a good CD yesterday, only one meal. BUT, I did have to munch on some excellent Dot’s cheese curls during our Illinois BB game that went into overtime. We won! Of course, a bottle of champagne with my black & blue salad supper was “de rigueur” for the team from Champaign, Illinois.

We have to go to Utah for some required legalities for family, leaving tomorrow. Hopefully the snow predicted for today here in the Midwest will be melting with clear roads.

Onward and downward.

Day 15 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD500

Yesterday was a day of indulgent eating, pinochle, lovely meals, and the lullaby of rain the entire time. In short, it was a perfect day. Both sons were here again, and this time I was in no pain! 😂 I don’t know how much rain we got, but early in the morning, we’d already had close to 3″ and it kept raining throughout the day. Our DD in Colorado got the same, except it was cold enough to be snow–32 inches of it, last she reported. @northerndawn and @songbirdme, what about you? The scale yesterday morning was lovely, and the scale this morning, despite yesterday’s indulgence, was only up a smidge, so my weight is going in the direction I intend it to go. 👍

@michelinme A “community knitting project”? Oh, do tell!

@jaifaim Your time with your mum sounds absolutely lovely. If my mom were alive, she’d be 102 now! 🥰

@dvw Well, the hypnosis helped, because I didn’t succumb as much as I might have, but what really did the trick for me was to eat supper before I got too far with the baking, which was another bowl–BIG bowl–of spaghetti squash with spaghetti sauce; after that I was far too stuffed to be particularly interested in anything. It’s all in the strategy, you know? 😁 (And, I ate plenty of all of the sweets on Sunday, my planned day of indulgence. Except for the orange rolls for brunch. I had one. DS24 (the culinary school kid) and I agreed that the only point in making those again would be to try putting the whole orange in an entirely different dough, because bread dough with zero fat is simply hard and dry, no matter how yummy the addition of orange.)

@snowflake56 Your blue and green decorations sound lovely, and I’m astonished that you even have different color curtains to choose from, in order to make it all coordinate. I’ll bet you’re so delighted with the new look! And, yeah, I too am missing @flourbaby.

@litprof Welcome back. and your two-week break from the forum sounds like it was an absolutely lovely time!

@daffodil2010 Here in the States, corned beef is everywhere and cabbage is always on sale at this time. I like corned beef enough to make it once a year, LOL, so that’s what we’ll have. An article I just read, however, said that corned beef isn’t at all the tradition in Ireland for St. Patrick’s Day. True?

@i-hate-lettuce How lovely is your scilla!

@fivetwofan5252 I beg to differ: if you thought it was worth saying, I’m certain I would have thought it was worth reading! So, bummer on losing your long post!

Aww, @northgeorgia, 231??????? “Sabotage Sunday” is the exact right name! Yup, declaring war on your rebellious body seems like a perfect response! But do keep in mind all times we’ve assured others that gaining four pounds in one day is a true impossibility. But…I still feel your pain. Good luck on your new war; may each battle be a victory for you!

@songbirdme Congratulations on your ILLINI!! I’ll bet you’ll take I70 instead of I80 (for those not familiar with the interstate system in the US, the lower the number, the further south the freeway), and hopefully that’ll be a big help in avoiding much of the snow. But good luck with driving through Colorado, because they got DUMPED on this weekend. But there’s every likelihood that the roads will be fine by the time you get there. Have fun on the drive, and seeing your kids!

Pocket List Day 15
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @jaifaim
    @litprof FD800
    @fivetwofan5252 FD800
    @dvw
    @northgeorgia (ZBC)
    @brightonbelle
    @ccco. FD800
    @stitchincarol

DTF 🚫🍸🍷🍺🥂
    @ccco
    @stitchincarol (dry until Easter)
    @northerndawn (dry until Easter)
    @at – bar the odd slip 😉

ZBC 🚫
    @stitchincarol – every day!
    @at – every day!

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ 30×5
    @at
    @stitchincarol

Day 15 North Canton OH WFD 10 🤸‍♀️

Halfway through the month and I am finally at a normal BMI for the first time in 2 years! 8 pounds left to get to goal 😁.

It looks like a beautiful day outside, with the sun shining brightly; however it is quite nippy, no matter I will take it.

@snowflake56 and @ccco I also need to go through and clean out my home of all sorts of things that we no longer need. Unfortunately, OH is not like-minded on this issue; he brings home stuff with the thought that we may need it someday. We have a very large basement and it is full of all sorts of ends and ends, we plan to sort it all someday before we pass on to the next life so that our kids do not have to deal with it.
    @snowflake56 your décor sounds lovely

@northgeorgia that was a savage post LOL🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

My body also hates the time change, I always feel hung over the morning after the time change, but I love the extra hour of sunshine.

Pocket List Day 15
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @jaifaim
    @litprof FD800
    @fivetwofan5252 FD800
    @dvw
    @northgeorgia (ZBC)
    @brightonbelle
    @ccco. FD800
    @stitchincarol
    @basyjames

DTF 🚫🍸🍷🍺🥂
    @ccco
    @at – bar the odd slip 😉
    @basyjames

ZBC 🚫
    @at – every day!

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ 30×5
    @at
    @stitchincarol
    @basyjames

Day 15 UK FD
    Day 14 NFD

Another puffy Monday – blaming the popcorn particularly but possibly also my bumper fruit fest. Yesterday’s late lunch was vegan fish with the last of Saturday’s spicy cauliflower & courgette, yellow rice & tomato/lime salsa. During the evening I had a fair few taster spoonfuls of dal while cooking, and finished the day with a pile of roast pineapple & baked bananas.

@brightonbelle I completely understand why you don’t weigh on Mondays!! Daily weighing/weekly recording has served me well in the past but Monday mornings are a bit off-putting atm. Aiming to keep things in perspective & plodding on.

Yesterday I made an enormous pot of butternut squash, sweet potato & spinach dal. It’s super spicy – I found two green chillis from last year’s crop that were hidden in the freezer, packed with protein & veg and only 265 calories per 450g portion. I’m keeping going on marmite tea until early evening supper, add in some quorn chicken and cabbage slaw if i need more protein or crunch, and stewed apple/plum if I need pud.

Today I *just* have to stop my brain cycling through ‘chocolate/popcorn/icecream’ images….. I’m really tired – this weekend’s sleep was not refreshing for some reason so some early nights needed to reset body & brain, strengthen willpower/lower grellin. Unf I have an evening thing until 9.30pm tonight – but aiming for a early finish, supper, shower & PJs before we start – camera off 🙂 I’ve been doing some reading ahead and time planning for the rest of the week which feels better – going gently always helps.

@dvw thank you for encouragement! I’ve now eaten all the popcorn and will resist buying more until the weekend 🙂
    @penz my kale always comes out crispy and stays that way for a few days. Now I’m wondering what I’m doing right! Using curly kale – wash & dry, cut out stalks / tear leaves, pop into a bowl with oil & spices and stir with my hands. Spread out on baking trays – single layer, spaced, two trays if needed. Bake on 180C fan for 10 mins, switch over trays and keep an eye for another 5 mins if needed. Any that don’t get eaten straightaway into tupperware overnight…

@jaifaim go for it with the knitting! I’d not knitted At All until I took it up after stopping smoking. It’s a great rhythm for relaxation and focus – really helps with concentration, but also feels like meditation. Start simple, practice with some lovely coloured chunky yarn and medium-sized needles so it’s not too fiddly but you enjoy it. Perhaps make some squares for a blanket or cushion cover – practical things always hook me. Enjoy 🙂
    This was the cauliflower recipe. I used risotto rice as no basmati, and no pistachios. I forgot about the raisins until the second day – they do add yum. I’d definitley make it again 🙂
    https://domesticgothess.com/blog/2020/12/01/spiced-cauliflower-and-courgette/

@stitchincarol I mainly knit hats for people who are homeless or vulnerably housed and seeking asylum, migrants or refugees. It’s a church community project and many have become friends. It’s practical and a tiny sign of hope – to make something with love for a stranger.

@fivetwofan5252 Bummer re lost post! Your post appeared the other day but not today’s. After losing a fair few I now highlight & copy posts before posting /editing

So lovely to read everyone’s posts – but i’ve been here an hour! Back to the reading pile… Wishing strength to all fasters today 🙂

Pocket List Day 15
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @jaifaim
    @litprof FD800
    @fivetwofan5252 FD800
    @dvw
    @northgeorgia (ZBC)
    @brightonbelle
    @ccco. FD800
    @stitchincarol
    @basyjames
    @michelinme

DTF 🚫🍸🍷🍺🥂
    @ccco
    @at – bar the odd slip 😉
    @basyjames

ZBC 🚫
    @at – every day!

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ 30×5
    @at
    @stitchincarol
    @basyjames

USA. Day 15. FD800

Michelinme, I just saw your post about knitting for the homeless, etc. with your church. Until Covid, I was doing the exact same thing. I was particularly disturbed by the plight of the homeless. I cannot ever imagine having a loved one in such circumstances. I have made more hats and scarves than I can count. It is a pity we have been disbanded due to the pandemic. Good luck with your projects.

Day 15 – Lisbon, Portugal FD

Hello everyone!!

I hope you had a good weekend…

This weekend I had two family dinners that put a stop to weight loss. it is impressive the impact that alcohol has.
    Today I’m on another day of fasting and waiting to return to the downward curve… 🙂

Hug to everyone
    Nuno

Day 15 MN/USA CD

Weekend was filled with family time and nice weather to enjoy out of doors. Today, snowing quite heavily and gray. Temps will warm and it should all be gone in a day or so.

Stayed at TDEE this weekend but wasn’t able to do the two 800 calorie days I had hope to. It’s just too difficult to fast when family is here and everyone is snacking. That’s alright, as I’m still at healthy BMI and I intend to do basic 5:2 this week with some daily exercise. Will fast tomorrow, stay dry for Lent, and possibly lose a half a pound this week.

Hang in there everyone, and best of luck to all the fasters today. Wonderful posts which I hope to comment on tomorrow when I have some time.

Day 16 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – CD

Morning all. I got my new Fit Index scales yesterday and was delighted I did not have to pay any extra customs duty on it as I got it from Amazon.co.uk

Amazon.de will need to up its product offering as like you @jaifaim, I was not able to get it there.

However, I am pleased with it, another toy to tinker with. Ok, so yesterday’s Monday evening reading had a few red, some orange, some green which is good, and interestingly, some blue. The red is the weight and the body fat, but akready overnight, as I lost the weekend gain, those measurements went into orange, so already I am on a downward slope.

However, my body water and skeletal muscle are at the low end of the scale…so there is something to work on (with the weight loss of course).

@stitchincarol, you posed an interesting question regarding traditional St Patrick’s Day meal……whilst I have had corned beef and cabbage many times growing up I cannot remember it being a Paddys Day dinner. I asked DH what he used to have, and both of us agreed that it was a roast leg of lamb that was mainly served at our respective homes.

I haven’t had corned beef in ages, must look out for it now, I always enjoyed it.

Going to do an 18:6 today, just a small lunch, then not sure about dinner, and because I have nothing planned, and because tomorrow is a bank holiday and no work, it may, or may not be, good or bad.

Have a lovely Tuesday everyone.

Day 16, Emden Germany, FD

My DH is off for his 2nd PCR-test, when it’s also negative, he’s out of quarantaine tomorrow. The town’s Covid management is excellent, everyone in quarantaine gets a call every day (except on the weekend) to ask if everything is fine and if there are any symptoms.

@dvw I think white walls and colourful painting go together very well. We have bright coloured paintings against yellow walls and it doesn’t work at all.

@ccco Perhaps they should rent out dolls and dollhouses as they often aren’t wanted in later life. I still have my childhood dolls and we also have the dollhouse from my DH’s family as nobody wanted it, it’s a small one from the fifties. It was in a rotting children’s playhouse in his parents’ garden.

@songbirdme I hope the weather got better. Please drive carefully and stay safe.

@stitchincarol The house we lived in before had more large windows than the house we live in now so I have spare ones.

@basyjames Congratulations on reaching a normal BMI again! My DH is also hard to convince that we can’t keep everything and buy other things as well but in the end he gives in but we still have to many unwanted things in the basement.

@northerndawn It’s almost imposible to fast when family is around. I’m with you today and hope you don’t mind I put you on the pocket list.

@daffodil2010 Lucky you to get the scale, as @jaifaim, I also failed getting the scale though amazon.de.

Pocket list day 16
    @northerndawn
    @snowflake56

Day 16 – Lake District UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

What a fabulous day yesterday, weather good sun out and warm, longer walk, clocked up 18413 steps 8.46 miles, even did some bimbling in the garden in the afternoon as well.
    Followed up with a ‘phone call from DD, has a job offer, permanent contract bit more cash, just a bit further from office but happy to have her work from home a couple of days a week, great news in current climate!

Heading off down the road today, might call in at our favourite plants nursery and see what they’ve got for the greenhouse.

Take care all

Day 16 UK – No Dinner Day !

So I am having a total rethink on my fasting strategy!

I’ve spent the last ten days fighting off a virus (not THE virus, phew!) and I have come to realise that I am losing out on all my good nutrition by fasting in my current way.

What I mean by this! I mean that I normally have treats at the weekend, whereas during the week, I am normally an absolute health freak.

However for the last few weeks, the calories that I have taken in have been skewed towards ‘bad’ calories (ie treats) and I have probably reduced my intake of healthy food by 50% (purely by not eating much during the week). Having been so ill for nearly six months with Long Covid, I think this is not a good strategy.

So I am trying something new (ie new to me as I know others on this wonderful forum have suggested it!)

I am going to eat breakfast and lunch. Then I will skip dinner. For me, breakfast is normally my healthiest meal of the day (as I have a vegetable smoothie with organic flax seed oil) and then lunch is my second healthiest meal of the day, especially as I drink a juiced clump of organic celery alongside or similar.

When I was ill with Long Covid, I ate healthily and I mostly skipped lunch, but I ended up putting on weight. A lot of that was due to not being able to exercise. I am sure I would have put on even more weight had I additionally eaten lunch, but evidently for me, skipping lunch (and then eating dinner) is an insufficient strategy for weight loss!

So I am going to give skipping dinner a really good try!!

Once I have achieved that, I will build in some OMAD days, where I eat only breakfast.

WISH ME LUCK!!! 🙂 🙂

Day 16 – Canada – NFD

Just a quick hello to stay accountable. Busy day ahead. Good luck to all.

Day 16 North Canton OH NFD

@daffodil2010 congratulations on your new toy. I think the interesting thing about the Fit index scale is that there are several indicators to work on, so you are not focusing your entire attention on your weight. I think that is why it was so mojo-inducing for me

@snowflake56 what a relief for your DH- and you!

@Ihatelettuce wonderful news from DD, congratulations!

@Fivetwofam5252 I gave up eating dinner about 6 months ago and it has worked out really well for me. I love eating breakfast and lunch; and cutting off my food intake earlier in the day prevents opportunities for alcohol intake in the evening. You are also working with your circadian rhythms when you eat earlier. I hope you have good success with it.

Pocket list day 16
    @northerndawn
    @snowflake56

Have a beautiful day everyone!

Day 16 – USA/GA – NFD

Yesterday’s FD got me down to a typical post-NFD weekend weight of 227, so I’ve got to focus on more water intake today and watch the snacking. I’ll also do a ZBC today. I may take next Monday off and do a 4:3 next week. I may have to accept that these weird reverse water-retaining spikes are going to become my “new normal,” and calculate that into my overall monthly weight loss goals. More exercise will start coming into play as Spring comes around.

I am getting my first of the two dose vaccine on Thursday!

ZBC Day 16
    @northgeorgia

Second Post

@basyjames – thanks for this. Yes it has clearly worked really well for you as I read that you are now at normal BMI with only 8 pounds to go! CONGRATS!! 🙂

I totally agree. I love breakfast and I am a morning person. Thanks again.

Day 16 USA (Illinois) NFD

Two days of very controlled eating has put me in great shape to start our trip. Starting off once we get the car fully packed. We opted to at least bring our boots and poles although this car does not have room for the skis.

@stitchincarol – we do take 80 as it is not far south of us here and goes directly into Salt Lake City.

@northerndawn – the snow stopped in the afternoon, and likely roads have been well treated. We never used up our full allotment of salt this winter, so plenty in reserves around here.

I will do my best to keep up with you all. Have a terrific St. Patrick’s Day.

Onward and downward.

Day 15 UK NFD

Excellent start to the week for me – good straightforward <500 FD yesterday , after hovering online for hours managed to get Rugby World Cup tickets ( it’s not until Sept 2023 so lots of time to plan our month in France ) and hubby and I had our COVID vacations this morning

I do like the sound of your new toy @daffodil2010 might have to investigate 🧐

Onwards……..

Day 16 – Rural Nebraska, USA – CD or FD800

Yesterday, DH and I made an impulsive run to Omaha late in the afternoon. I wanted to get a few things I can only get at Aldi, had a few other quick errands…and we went out for raw oysters. Yum, yum, yum. We each had a dozen, and we shared a plate of hush puppies that were more like arancini. Total calories? We have no idea. Some sources said a dozen oysters was 50 calories and other sources had the calories as high as 140. The two hush puppies I had? Again, 50 each? 200 each? LOL, it was quite difficult to pin down, but the bottom line is that I’ certain I didn’t go over 500 calories, and it felt so wonderfully DECADENT, and yummy, of course!

I’ve been surprised and delighted how easy it’s been to be dry all during Lent, and I’m certain that’s a large part of why I’m losing weight so steadily. Knowing it’ll all come to a screeching halt on Easter Sunday (chilled white wine is beckoning me), I’m determined to push as hard as I can in these last two weeks. Remembering something @basyjames said about her competition at work, I walked in place in front of the TV last night when we got home to get my final 1500 steps to reach 10K. Not as impressive of some of you who have me in awe, but certainly a great goal, and one I’m hoping to reach every day this week. Perhaps 143 is actually attainable by Easter??? Thus my indecision as to whether I’ll do a CD or manage to pull off a FD800.

YAY @basyjames for reaching normal BMI! Congratulations!!!

@michelinme Thanks for the recipe; it’s in my queue!

@northerndawn We dodged your snow and had only rain–for which we’re thankful, as it was a bit dry here last summer–but snow is coming again for us this Wednesday. sigh. Winter isn’t over yet, is it?

@daffodil2010 Fascinating that you always had roast leg of lamb, but in the States, the assumption is that the Irish eat corned beef until it’s coming out their ears. Well, that may be an exaggeration, but I’m truly not exaggerating when I say that every grocery store has LOADS of corned beef, cooking shows on TV have suggestions on how best to prepare it and printed articles are full of side dishes to go with “your corned beef”! We have Wednesday night church during Lent, so time will be tight and it’ll be too heavy a meal for DH as pastor and me as organist, so my plan is to serve it around two o’clock tomorrow, so we can maintain the tradition I started when we married of corned beef on St. Patrick’s Day. 😍🍀

@songbirdme Have a safe and lovely trip today! I’ve driven 80 many, many times, all the way to California, so I’ll be able to envision your trip. Wanna meet for coffee in Lincoln or Seward?? Email me if so!

@snowflake56 Ahh, having curtains left over from a previous home makes perfect sense!

@i-hate-lettuce What a perfect-sounding day you had yesterday and a totally impressive number of steps! Have fun at the greenhouse today; when DH retires I’m looking forward to having a greenhouse and I’ll also be able to start early. 🌿

@fivetwofan5252 Well done on your insightful thinking as to what works for you! I do indeed wish you luck and am impressed how well you thought it all out.

@brightonbelle Two exciting pieces of news from you today–well, three if you count the excellent FD yesterday. I’ll you’re you’re beaming with delight and excitement!

It’s a foggy day today, but I’m staying home all day to make a concerted effort on tax paperwork. I’ve found so many other things to do that I’ve still made far too little progress…

Have a grand day, everyone!

USA. Day 16. FD800

I thought I would weigh in on the corn beef and cabbage conversation going on here. What I learned in school years ago about corn beef and cabbage consumption is clearly not widespread knowledge. During the potato famine of the 1840s and 1880s so many Irish came to the US. The Irish were big meat eaters in Ireland but meat in the US was very expensive. Some meats were very cheap and not widely eaten here, so the Irish and Jewish immigrants came to buy those. The meat industry wasn’t the safest industry, so eating those meats was risky for your health. Corn beef was one of those cheap meats and became widely consumed by the Irish. In Ireland such meats as lamb were more widely eaten. Today, as you know, ironically corn beef is expensive. I am a first generation American as my father came here from Ireland and his family in Ireland did not eat much corn beef.

Congratulations, NorthGeorgia, for being able to get your first dose on Thursday. I am seeing a lot of appointments everywhere all of a sudden and I am glad of that. My family has not had any side effects from the second dose, so I was very happy with that. I also signed up for v-safe on my phone. You probably will get a text message regarding that sometime after your first dose. This way someone will be monitoring how well you are doing after the second dose.

Pocket List Day 16
    @ccco FD800
    @northerndawn
    @snowflake56

ZBC Day 16
    @northgeorgia
    @ccco

DTF
    @ccco

I hope I got everyone on the lists from the posts and didn’t miss anybody!

Day 16 UK CD/FD800?

Yesterday swerved to a neat 780 calories so I’ll take that. It was nearly 400 but I got so hungry staying up for online service that I had to eat again – a neat bowl of quorn chicken with fresh pineapple: Yum.

Another broken night’s sleep & forgot to weigh myself this morning. I feel marginally less puffy but still pretty puffed, hence today’s CD or FD800.

My 82yo mother came over for weekly tea visit today looking a little frail until we talked fruit & veg boxes & recipes! I tempted her to bite-sized bits of fresh pineapple with sliver of butternut squash & apple muffin (ground almonds rather than wheat flour). She feels herself going backwards in her tastes and reckons she has reached ‘nursery tea’ stage now, with her love of boiled egg & soldiers, macaroni cheese & anything with potatoes which she’s clear is her Irish heritage. We reminisced over beetroot, she enjoyed hefting my 600g beast from last week’s box but is off to buy some pre-cooked in a vaccuum pack. So much is about simply being with each other and listening to ordinary things….

@ccco lovely to hear about your community knitting projects

Whatever the day brings, go gently x

Day 16 – Ireland – NFD

@stitchincarol oh I love corned beef and cabbage! Very much like bacon and cabbage.. and one of the meals I missed the most when I lived in France. Now I’m craving it 😂😂 I’m just going to have to have it soon – maybe tomorrow although we don’t have a specific meal for St Patrick’s Day☘️. Not our family anyway…
    My local pub does the BEST corned beef dinner so may treat myself to a takeaway tomorrow 👍

Hope everyone is well! I haven’t caught up on today’s posts but off tomorrow until Monday so will have time… 👍

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 16 second post.

To my fellow ‘Monthly challangers’

Back in July last year I was diagnosed with cancer of the throat. I had a lot to get through and kept going with trying to control my weight and wrestling with cancer. The support from the Monthly challenge group was brilliant, encouragement all the way. Treatment was started “with curative intent”.

Today I had the results from my MRI scan following the end of treatment, so am pleased to share with you all the results, which were fantastic.

There has been “a complete response to treatment” the cancerous tissue has been destroyed, the MRI images clear, which is excellent. It will be a while before everything has properly healed and recovered , but well on my way!

Mrs IHL and I would like to thank you all for your thoughts and support and boy is it nice to be ‘clear’

Sometime when it suits, grab a glass and have a smile with us, thank you my 5:2 internet friends.

USA. Day 16. FD800

Congratulations, I Hate Lettuce! Such wonderful news!

Day 16 USA/DC NFD
    @ihatelettuce what fabulous news. Hooray. Such happy, joyous news.

Day 17, OMAD, Aus

Happy St Pat’s all (especially @jaifaim and any other Irish-folk I’ve missed.)
    I think I missed yesterday completely. I’m such a bad host – sorry everyone, but the great thing about these challenges is everyone keeps an eye out for everyone else. For anything thinking of volunteering to host April, please do so – it’s not that hard and the forum runs itself even in the absence of a host!

Ha ha – hotel lobby smells of breakfast are so not enticing for me, @fivetwofan5252!!! Good luck with your new eating regime.

Glad your new look turned out so well, @snowflake56.

Two pounds down is still two pounds down. Well done @dvw!

So much hate, @northgeorgia!!! May your mind be so much stronger than your body!

Congrats, @basyjames. Your goal is in sight and easy reach.

@michelinme, that’s how I do my kale too but sometimes it comes out soggy. Maybe I’m using too much oil or the wrong kind?

So true about the cost of meats @ccco. I remember the day when cuts like lamb shanks and osso bucco were cheap; so cheap I would feed them to my dogs. These days they’re considered gourmet and far too expensive to treat as dog food!

And EXCELLENT news @IHL!!! So so pleased to read about your results. I definitely have a smile on my face and am sharing in your relief and happiness.

Second post

@i-hate-lettuce That is absolutely BRILLIANT news, and I’m thoroughly CHUFFED for you and Mrs IHL!!

That was my attempt to copy the British phrases y’all use; now, for my American-approach.

@i-hate-lettuce I am beyond thrilled for you and Mrs IHL, and thank you so much for sharing the great news to bring a smile to my evening! I will indeed lift a glass of wine in toast to you once I’m no longer dry!

Day 17, Emden Germany, NFD

Interesting talk about corned beef, something I never liked. But I eat black pudding and boiled tongue, not everyone’s favorite I guess.

@i-hate-lettuce What wonderful news, I’m so happy for Mrs IHL and you!

@basyjames The result comes in today but we’re sure the test will be negative.

@stitchincarol I forgot to say, I have lot of gingers jars, they come in all shades of blue and green.

@penz It was fun to do it with my DH, normally I do it on my own.

Days 13, 14 & 15 – NFD

Days 16 & 17 – CFD

Sorry I’ve had other things on my mind for the past few days and forgot to check in (doesn’t help that the internet at this sharehouse decided it’s not going to let me connect and I’ve gotta use my phone and data). Had a couple of NFDs and also a few days under 1400 calories with between 12 & 18 hours fasting reach night, gotta kick my bum to get back on the wagon!!

Day 17 – Canada – FD

Good morning all.

Thanks for all your news. @ihl, fabulous news, so wonderful for you and your family.

Today I’m baking an almond coconut cake to serve tomorrow when my mother and her friend come for tea. My Mom requested it. I’ll have one piece and then send the rest home with my guests – that’s the plan and I’m sticking to it 😊. I’ll also clean the house, go for a long walk and do a quick HIIT. I guess I’d better get my day started. Stay strong everybody.

Day 17 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 228 lbs. Stomach still angry with water retention and a little lactose intolerance from last night. Weep, thou great deceiver, for another FD is upon thee, and a 4:3 shall usher in on Sunday to bring forth justice upon the scales!

LOL Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Pocket list day 17
    @penz (OMAD)
    @toady (CFD)
    @dvw
    @northgeorgia (ZBC)

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 495 total)

You must be logged in to reply.