2021 Monthly Challenge – Motivational March!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
2021 Monthly Challenge – Motivational March!

This topic contains 484 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  stitchincarol 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 495 total)

• Day 8 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD

Well, I sure had a massive adventure yesterday. I’ve been mulling over just open I’d be about the whole thing, and have decided to throw caution to the wind, so be forewarned, LOL. Here we go: I got home from church around 11:30, and started cutting up the honeydew melon for brunch while DS24 got bacon on a baking sheet and into the oven. It wasn’t but a few minutes that a cramp started in my lower belly. It wasn’t but a few more minutes that the little cramp became massive. And it was noon when that massive cramp had become so painful that I had to do Lamaze breathing. I did my best to just wait it out, figuring it was gas or something. DS24 finished brunch and they all ate; I only managed a few bites. I moved to the sofa and tried lying down. At 1:30 I asked them to please google my symptoms and figure out what was up, because I was in tears from the severe pain. With input from a phone call to a retired doctor friend, we concluded it was likely kidney stones, and I needed to go to the emergency room at the hospital. Got there around 1:30. Everyone there also assumed it was kidney stones, and the treatment reflected that: IV with saline, preparation for a CT scan, pain meds in my IV. That pain med did nothing, and I was sobbing by two o’clock–except that it hurt too much to sob. So then I got fentanyl (yup, that “scary” drug because the pain truly was every bit equal to the pain of natural childbirth), and finally had relief. Had the CT scan, eventually got the results.

I’m constipated.

To say I was stupefied is an understatement. The nurses were all equally startled, because I had all the classic symptoms of kidney stones. Plus, to put this as delicately as possible, I’ve had enough “action” going on that I had no idea I was constipated. So I’ve been told what to do to take care of it, and the pain hasn’t come back, and life is moving on.

The reason I’m telling so many details is to add this piece of information: apparently intermittent fasting often leads to constipation. When I did some research this morning, I found out it’s a common result. And the solution? Drink lots of water. Yup, I do. Eat lots of veggies and other foods high in fiber. Yup, I do. Drink coffee. Don’t understand that one, but I do that also. Get active. Well, perhaps it was the nine days on the sofa with covid?? Because other than that time, I AM active.

Crazy, huh? At this point we’re actually all laughing (our two sons were here for the day, and it sure didn’t go the way we’d all anticipated!), and very relieved it wasn’t anything more serious. So, are you all feeling forewarned?? šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£

Needless to say, the scale has been creeping up, despite an almost-acceptable FD on Saturday, and the probable-FD yesterday/Sunday. I’ll clearly have, um, a “whoosh” very soon!

@northgeorgia So sorry! I hope your ankle and knee are far better today! How’d the pizza turn out?

@toady Poor you! I hope you’re feeling better now.

@snowflake56 Your confidence is shining through, and I’m sure those 8# will be gone very quickly.

@fivetwofan5252 My opinion is that, when I don’t exercise, I don’t pay as close attention to the food I eat, and end up eating too many calories. When I trouble myself to exercise, I make better decisions all day. So, while the calories burned are minimal in the overall picture, the motivation that results is huge. My favorite quote on this topic is from @markie99 : You get fit in the gym; you lose weight in the kitchen.

@dvw That’s a great quote: “you can’t out-exercise a bad diet” Exactly right! And, here’s a piece of trivia for you: Like you, when the scales drop, my inclination is to feel as if I’m free to eat “a little extra” since “my weight is down, yippee!!” But, when I’ve successfully lost weight in the past, when the scales dropped, that was always motivation to eat even less that day! Clearly, weight loss is just as dependent on finding your “why” and remembering it.

@nuno Bummer on the cholesterol number! I too have high cholesterol (283 at last test) but am trying hard to control my cholesterol-intake through good food choices, to exercise at least 150 minutes each week, and to lose weight, all in hopes that’ll get my count down.

@nellen Good to see you back; hope things settle down soon for you!

@lilymartin I think it’s common for people who love to cook to fall in love with 5:2, because that’s the only way we’ve found to combine weight loss with our love of cooking. It’s a delicate balance for those of us who love to cook!

@brightonbelle We’ve missed your chatter, but so glad you’ve stayed on track; well done!

@betsylee Congratulations; that’s a great loss!! And, no, I don’t think the hypnosis helped much with Saturday, but I have ideas to share with my hypnotist as to phrases that will help, so we’ll see if I’m right.

@michelinme Well, keep in mind that to be up 7 actual pounds since Friday, you’d need to have eaten in excess of 23,000 calories, and I’m CERTAIN you didn’t. Good luck with terrific and encouraging and mojo-regaining FDs this week!

Pocket List Day 8
    @lilymartin
    @snowflake56
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @brightonbelle
    @dvw
    @michelinme (day 1 of b2b2b)
    @songbirdme
    @ccco. (FD800)
    @stitchincarol

DTF
    @ccco
    @stitchincarol (until Easter)

So many of us seem to have had physical complaints in the last few days; hopefully we’re all of us past all of that and will just have beautiful days filled with success in whatever our plans are. Good luck!

Day Day 8 North Canton OH FD

Wow @stitchincarol constipation really? I think it may have been the 9 days on the sofa, plus this crazy Covid is affecting everyone differently. That is a wowzer!!! I am so glad that we have access to diagnostics and that you were able to get treated appropriately, because your symptoms were classic. Thank God you are fine now.

Sorry I have been MIA, it has been busy on the home front and at work. We had new carpet laid on Saturday, and it was very disruptive; OH is also changing the flooring in the laundry room and reconfiguring the cabinets. So there was stuff everywhere over the weekend, and I just could not settle down long enough to post anything.

Inspired by all the reading and research I have been doing on IF, I ordered a new scale that measures my weight, and calculates my BMI, fat free body weight, visceral fat, subcutaneous fat, BMR, muscle mass. I received it and started using it immediately; the data is a major mojo-inducer for me. Most of my numbers were green, 4 of them were yellow and my goal is to bring those numbers into the green.

Here is the link to the research I promised and some of the information I reviewed last week
    https://lifeapps.io/fasting/this-bodys-on-fire-intermittent-fasting-for-weight-loss-and-more/

I hope someone else finds it useful.

With regards to exercise, there have been times in my life when exercise was a huge focus for me and other times when it wasnā€™t. Prior to practicing the IF lifestyle, I believed exercise was the reason why I was able to maintain my weight. A couple years before I turned 40, exercise was no longer enough; even though my intake stayed the same, I was gaining weight. I was able to lose weight with IF in addition to exercise, but I realized a few years ago that I could lose weight with IF and no exercise; and I did so the year that I was working on my Masterā€™s degree. Lately, I have been exercising more and focusing on strength training because I want to build more muscle; as a menopausal woman, I think this is important for me at this time in my life.

@michelinme, I doubt that you gained 7 pounds of fat in a few days. Like @stitchincarol I suspect that you are waterlogged and overloaded on glucose and glycogen. It will come off just as easily as it came on, one blip does not create a trend my friend. Hang in there, you have got this šŸ„°

ocket List Day 8
    @lilymartin
    @snowflake56
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @brightonbelle
    @dvw
    @michelinme (day 1 of b2b2b)
    @songbirdme
    @ccco. (FD800)
    @stitchincarol
    @basyjames

DTF
    @ccco
    @stitchincarol (until Easter)

@stitchincarol – whew… what a tale! I sure hope all that pain goes completely soon. My “diagnosis” of constipation after a CT scan turned out to be shingles. Years ago, and my pain was really bizarre, never excruciating but internal and almost constant. Hope you’re fully on the mend!

Day 8 – NSW, AU – CFD

Only another 12 hour fast and the last few slices of pizza for breakfast. Was good for the rest of the day, a snack around 11am then lunch (chilli con carne with brown rice) at 1 and started fasting at 1:30pm. All up a tick above 1300 calories which is below my goal weight TDEE. Planning a FD800 tomorrow but we’ll see how that goes.

Second Post,

@stitchincarol – Oh My Gosh! I am so sorry for you that you had to go through all of that. I agree with @basyjames that your recent illness is what must have thrown your body out of whack.
    Every night I take a Nature Made Magnesium gel cap of 250mg. It is huge, and I don’t even bother to swallow it, I just pop it in my mouth and bite down, releasing the liquid and swallow. It’s really not that bad. I “chase it” with two Nature Made gummies of Vitamin C, (15 calories), so I really don’t mind the Mg taste. I look forward to them in the eve, and the Mg+ keeps me from getting constipated. I have a higher dose at hand if I feel it’s needed…..like if too much cheese has been ingested, for instance. The Mg+ also helps relax muscles, so I feel it helps me sleep.
    Well, do take care, and you have all my sympathy for the pain you must have been in!

Third Post;
    Be sure to get the Magnesium Citrate, not any other kind.

@northerndawn – I also take the Nature Made Magnesium Citrate. I haven’t tried biting down on them, though! Guess the large size doesn’t bother me to swallow. They are at bedtime, and also I take 2 psyllium capsules in the morning (Metamucil equivalent) that add fiber. As they say, I have a “slow transit” as well. Always have.

Day 9, NFD, Aus

Hello dear friends! Apologies for my absence; I got waylaid by one of those dreadful 48 hour tummy bugs but am back to normal now. My travel and social schedule is laying siege to my plans for 2 FDs this week (but after the last few days I am being forgiving of myself). How is everyone elseā€™s motivation and mojo going?

Mmm tempting gelatoā€¦ Whatā€™s your favourite flavour(s), @mogaman? Oooh, just read a later post where you said you were going to sideline it for the rest of the month, and now Iā€™ve got you thinking about it!

So sorry to hear about your beloved cat, @snowflake. Pets bring such love and comfort to our lives and it seems extra cruel that they donā€™t live as long as we do.

So so true, @onahealthyhigh. It is habit or something physiological that goes on to make us want to eat more when we drink grog? Although reading @songbirdmeā€™s post thereā€™s no way creamed herring would sound tempting to me no matter how much cabernet I imbibed!! (sorry: itā€™s probably a favourite of yours!)

Oh dear, @northgeorgia; hope all your bits and pieces are no longer sore and the only damage is to your pride.

Definitely believe your husband, @fivetwofan! Looking slimmer is such a fantastic compliment. To me, exercise plays a role in weight loss but not necessarily a significant one (based on my personal views and NOT at all on any scientific evidence!!) Exercise makes me more mindful about eating and makes me happier about my body, and these two factors directly contribute to my consuming less calories. I also sleep better which is a plus! I think if I exercised at an Olympian level, then exercise itself would lead to weight loss, but I am more of an average mover and certainly donā€™t put my body to those extremes.

Where are you planning on going for your anniversary trip, @IHL?
    Oh no, @nuno ā€“ hope the medication does the trick and you donā€™t have to be on it for long.
    Welcome back @nellen! Enjoy spring. And well done on cutting back on the vino.
    Sounds like first world problems, @lilymartin ā€“ lobster for two meals in one day!! (ROFL)

Your cooking efforts should put you in a great place to do FDs, @michelinme. Itā€™ll be Easy Off in no time.

Oh gosh, @stitchincarol, how scary for you! But v relieved it was nothing as nasty as kidney stones or anything requiring you go under the knife. Thank you for sharing, esp the tips to avoid constipation.

Still catching up on postsā€¦ and apologies to all of you whom I’ve not mentioned.

Day 9, Emden Germany, FD

After reading all your comments on exercise, perhaps I should go back to the Leslie walks again, a bit boring but doable.

@fivetwofan5252 I’ll be fine again, my health problems (hypokalemic periodic paralysis) are possibly triggered by eating too much sugar. I have to be more strict but I can’t always stay away from it.

@i-hate-lettuce Thanks for the advice, when the bookshops are open again I’ll look if they have it! I have problems digesting raw vegetables (esp. iceberg lettuce, bell peppers, celery, garlic, cucumber, tomatoes) so avoid eating them. I’ve never tried crĆØme fraĆ®che on a salad, could be worth a try.

@brightonbelle and @betsylee Thanks, it’s nice to be back and read about everyone’s life again.

@michelinme I agree with @basyjames and @stitchincarol, it’s unlikely you really gained so much in a few days. It will be gone soon if you’ll eat normal again.

@songbirdme What are “multi-focal ā€œblendedā€ lenses”?

@stitchincarol What a story! I’m glad it wasn’t something worse.

@penz Thanks! We always had cats and the last one was extremely chatty. It was so nice to have him around, we miss him so much.

Pocket list day 9
    @snowflake56

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 9 – Ireland šŸ‡®šŸ‡Ŗ – NFD

Quick post as I haven’t been on since Friday and wanted to read up on everyone and now it’s nearly time to go to work.

But oh wow @stitchincarol, that is some tale…I truly hope you have recovered.

As for me, well I had my own super scary health issues yesterday…I was feeling a bit hearty on Sunday, then I was awake at 2am, tossing and turning, feeling pressure …..I tried to make a doctor appointment but the nearest practice were only doing Covid vaccinations. I rang my my old work medical practice (I am still a patient but they are in the city), and the nearest I could get was a phone consultation on Wednesday.

Off to work, feeling pretty anxious, not good….and all in my mind was my mothers voice telling me to get the blood pressure sorted or I would end up like her (she passed suddenly at 54 from hypertension).

So I have myself freaked, I worked from home in the afternoon, took my own BP and it kept climbing. DH came home, took my BP, it was scary, and I was on the cusp of telling him to ring for an ambulance. I was having a massive anxiety attack, the likes I have never had before. He is a trained cardiac first aider and calmed me down. He gave me a BP tablet, and after a couple of hours my BP went back to normal.

Scary stuff. I will be telling the doctor all this tomorrow and I know my BP needs to be managed. I feel grand today. Taking it easy, no stress, gentle exercise, and looking forward to getting myself healthy.

2nd post

@daffodil2010 That must have been so scary, I hope your BP is better now. Take care!

Day 9, UK, OMAD

Just a quick post as rushing off but I am looking forward to reading all sorts of different viewpoints on the exercise thread later!

Yesterday for me was a ZBC day…

Today is an OMAD

Happy fasting everyone šŸ™‚

3rd post

I did it: Walk Off Fat Fast 20 Minute | Fat Burning Workout!

Day 9 – Lake district UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

@basyjames – Mojo Inducing scales, now there’s an unusual side effect! The amount of information you can get from them sounds amazing, might just have to have a look at replacing these old weightwatchers scales we’ve had for years, they’re so huge they could be listed as exercise lifting them out!

@penz – The 40th wedding celebration was a cruise to the Baltic on board a brand new ship for the Inaugural cruise. That was in July last year, ships been laid up but sailing in July this year! The cruise company have been fantastic, simply transferred our booking across, reduced the price and we still get our fabulous cabin to have a belated celebration.

@stitchincarol – glad you’re OK, keep drinking plenty, I had a bout of constipation when taking morphine and codeine during treatment last year, not very pleasant at all.

@snowflake56 – Excellent, I often use a 20 minute MOAM walk round the village, especially if weather has been poor or didn’t fancy a long wander. Better than 20 minutes laid on the sofa!

@fivetwofan5252 – Another reason to exercise! I’ve lost a lot of weight and with it comes a change of shape, lost several inches around the waist and generally shrunk (almost) all over! So of course, the skin doesn’t shrink as quickly so started to end up a bit of an ‘old wrinkly’.
    Again some of these things happen quite slowly over time, but to suddenly look like a prune and wrinkles over several parts of the body is not the look I was after. The old body needed toning up, but I certainly don’t visit a gym these days, (used to be 5 x a week in my rugby days) To put not to fine a point on it the wrinkly backside, legs and stomach particularly needed sorting. So MOAM walks literally sorted from the waist down. Stomach has also gone now, bending and effort in the garden has worked well.
    Once the clothes shops open, amongst the next lot of new clothes, new budgie smugglers for the beach, but certainly not a mankini !

Funny, I’ve never been particularly enthused with clothes shopping, but due to the rather big size differences I can buy tailored and fitted shirts, as Mrs IHL says ‘shows off those hunky shoulders and chest’ people have noticed the change šŸ™‚

Take care all

Day 9 – Canada – NFD

Just a quick check in since I have a busy day lined up. One more comment on exercise – on another forum (or maybe this one?) somebody said they think of exercise as medicine. Something Iā€™ll never forget.

Take care all.

Day 9 – USA/GA – NFD

My knee is slowly recovering; I think my jeans have a permanent grass stain haha

Good weigh-in this morning at 225 lbs, which is the first time 225 has shown up as a post-FD #1 weigh-in of a week. Fingers crossed for a new number in a couple of days.

@stitchincarol The pizza turned out great! Lots to share, so I didn’t overindulge. I sure hope your horrible bout of ailments are ending!

@penz We had a person at one of our other sites fall in a similar fashion last Friday. She jokingly said she will take walking lessons. I think I’ll join her haha

It’s a ZBC for me today. It’s funny how I don’t really feel hungry for breakfast in the mornings anymore. Sundays are usually the only days I’ll go ahead and eat in the mornings, and usually even then it’s mid to late morning. I’m not purposefully trying to migrate into 16:8, but I did find my NFD workday lunch revision helped me. I still have some chips or crackers, but choose a 100-150 calorie pack instead of a 200-250 calorie pack. I got rid of my chocolate candies and Rice Krispie Treat except for a little Andes mint. Then I overpack with my would-be breakfast: a boiled egg and a banana. I still have a sandwich (OK, I admit — a little bad but so tasty: a slice of pita bread with marinara sauce, pepperoni, salami, and provolone and Parmesan cheese folded over, along with a side of Babybel cheese with grapes. (I must be channeling my longing for continental travel LOL). The extra protein from the egg ties me over, and I find I don’t want my banana at lunch. However, as I think about snacking around 3:00, I discover my banana tempting me, and voila, no “real” snacking, and I’m good until I’m home for supper.

Day 9 ZBC
    @northgeorgia

Day 9 UK FD (2nd of b2b2b)

Successful FD800 yesterday I thought it would be too much of a switch to go from c3500 to 500 and this made it doable. Better to get 3xFD800 under my belt than lament a series of missed FDs!

I was v hungry indeed at the beginning but O! the absolute Gift of having shared my intention here – thank you. I just love the sense of external accountability drawing me onwards, even tho you are all around the world and wouldn’t recognise me if we collided in the street, you are my companions on this journey.

Thank you so much @stitchincarol @basyjames @snowflake56 for your wise & gently reminders & reassurance – your combination of data and warmth was like a hug And lo! This morning I’m down 6 of those 7lbs and just over where I started the month. But, as I don’t want to stay here I’m going to crack on with my b2b2b. The sun is shining, the birds are singing and I feel better after 9.5hrs sleep – tho feel the need for a lot more.

Yesterday I ate more than I usually would on a FD but it fitted me well. Late morning was marmite tea, late lunch i had bowl of quorn ‘chicken’ with baby tomatoes and lashings of black pepper; supper was a bowl of butternut squash, courgette and spinach dal with a big handful of mushrooms just softened in the heating for added texture, then stewed apple and banana with the last splosh of custard. Doesn’t sound like I’m stinting myself does it? And it all added up to 750 calories. Today I’ll be quenching the crunch with cabbage, carrot & apple slaw at lunchtime, early supper of dal and mushrooms, then warm blueberries, cherries and bananas with a dollop of soya yoghurt to satisfy that pudding craving. I made the dal without coconut milk so it comes in at 195 calories/portion – pefect centrepiece for FDs.

@stitchincarol so sorry to hear about your pain, and glad it wasn’t kidney stones!
    @daffodil2010 you poor thing! Huge empathy as that sounds pretty similar to my January experience. We’ve no family history of BP issues and mine has always been pretty low so post-covid problems have been out of the blue – and pretty scary to suddenly have super high BP. I’m SO glad your DH was able to test, treat and reassure you, and that you have the doctor appointment tomorrow. Take care xx
    @basyjames what a great present to yourself
    @penz hope you are feeling much better
    @snowflake56 sorry to hear about your cat xx Well done on the fast walking – that sounds like a great way to exercise

Day 9 FD pocket list
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @michelinme (day 2 of b2b2b)

Day 9 – Rural Nebraska, USA – CD

You guys are all so kind; thank you! My belly still feels bloated, so I’m not quite 100%, but the pain has been gone since Sunday late afternoon; that’s an experience I’ll not soon forget! @northerndawn and @songbirdme, thanks for the advice about magnesium citrate; that discussion has shown up on this forum before, so this time I’ll spring into action, LOL!

Oh dear, @daffodil2010, I’m so sorry for the terror of your awful day! I can well imagine how scary it was to escalate more and more, and you must be so thankful your DH was able to take care of you so beautifully. I’ve lifted you up in prayer for a good day and evening, and that the doctor is able to provide something that regulates everything beautifully for you so you have no more episodes like that!

@snowflake56 Yay for you! I’ve begun getting bored with the Leslie walks also, but am working hard to persuade myself that I find comfort and contentment in the boredom, LOL! Thankfully, we’ve had a whole week of gorgeous and warm weather and I’ve been for a walk outside around our village every day. I walk with a friend who’s seriously overweight and has severe arthritis, so it’s more of a stroll, but it’s all steps. When will your weather be lovely enough to allow you outdoor strolls?

@i-hate-lettuce Given how much weight you’ve lost, I can imagine you’re the talk of all the still-overweight people in your village! You are the poster boy for “serious accomplishment”!

@michelinme Having only one of the pounds remaining sounds accurate, and I’m glad our words were comforting. I love, love, love the friendships this group provides. Good luck with sticking to your determination and getting that remaining pound off quickly, and then more as well!

@penz My deep sympathies at your two days of a stomach bug! I hope it wasn’t TOO severe, and am so glad you’re back to a healthy you.

@at, I keep thinking of you and wondering what’s keeping you so silent. I imagine you’re helping with lunch at the parish centre today, right? Hope all is well in your world.

Well, it’s time to face my day. There’s lots I should be doing, but all I really want to do is go out and play in the warmth: it’s supposed to get up to 80F/27C today! It will be so glorious to enjoy that warmth, but I’m sad about all the plants that are going to think it’s time to wake up and put on new growth, because the freezes and snow we’re sure to still have in the next few months will ruin their buds. Oh well, eh? I can’t fix a thing, so might as well simply treasure the day.

Have a grand day/evening, everyone!

USA. Day 9 WFD

Day 9 FD pocket list
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @michelinme (day 2 of b2b2b)
    @ccco

DTF
    @ccco

Well, yesterday’s FD800 went well over…stress eating but I stayed the course with DTF! Today’s WFD is a compensation. I weighed myself and say myself up 3 lbs.!!! Ugh! Got to fix that quick!.

Reading about everyone’s exercise plans reminds me of how much I want to get my second dose of the vaccine. I so want to continue some of my exercise routines outside of the home and I desperately need them!

I wish everyone a wonderful day!

Day 9 – UK – 2nd FD800

After a very indulgent Friday and Saturday, I managed to bring Sunday to just above TDEE but I have to admit that all 3 days involved some lovely šŸ„‚šŸ· so decided to do B2B2B2B FD800 this week. Yesterday was hard but successful and I am on track to stay just under 800 again today.

Had a lovely long walk with a friend and her 2 dogs on Sunday and have done my Broga class yesterday, today was yoga this morning, volunteering at lunchtime and a HIP class at 5pm.

Really glad that my comfort quote resonated with a few of you – it’s something I try to think of every now and then to remind me that there are other ways to feel good apart from food and wine šŸ¤­

@snowflake56 – thinking of you and hoping that your old health problems and symptoms are not too bad šŸ¤—
    @onahealthyhigh – I so agree with you about how šŸ· makes me eat so much more – I just keep nibbling!!!
    @northgeorgia – Ouch!! hopefully you are recovering well from that fall on Day 6
    @i-hate-lettuce – totally agree that the 5:2 WOL and exercise go hand in hand, plus I find getting out for some fresh air and exercise is so good for our mental well being too. Personally I find that exercise alone is not enough to lose weight and then maintain – the 5:2 WOL has been my saving grace!
    @nuno – I used to have high cholesterol too but my GP agreed to see if I could get it to normal limits without the need for medication and 1 year after starting 5:2 my cholesterol had dropped to just above normal limits and remained there so far without taking any medication – maybe discuss this option with your GP??
    @lilymartin – your meal sounds absolutely šŸ˜‹ OH and I are planning scallops with hazelnut butter, followed by Lobster Thermidor and finishing with a small serve of a Chocolate Pave this Friday night too
    @stitchincarol – I felt for you with your suffering on Day 8 – so glad it was nothing serious in the end! All good here just been a bit busy and yes you’re right today was lunch volunteer duty once again
    @basyjames – thanks for that link will try to read it later today
    @daffodil2010 – Wow your episode does sound a bit scary and the anxiety would not have helped your BP either – take care x
    @penz – no need to apologise for your absence – sorry to hear about your tummy bug – hope you are feeling back to your normal self again
    @michelinme – I’m feeling a bit like you this week so I also decided I would most likely succeed with 4 x B2B2B2B so opted out to do this instead of trying for 2 x FD500

Pocket list day 9
    @snowflake56
    @michelinme (2nd of B2B2B)
    @at (2nd of B2B2B2B)

DTF šŸš«šŸøšŸ·šŸŗšŸ„‚
    @stitchincarol (dry until Easter)
    @northerndawn (dry until Easter)
    @at

ZBC šŸš«
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol ā€“ every day!
    @at ā€“ every day!

Exercise šŸ‹ļøā€ā™€ļø 30Ɨ5
    @at (60mins yoga and 50mins HIP)
    @stitchincarol

Our grey and drizzly cumbrian day made me think of this ā€œSome days you just have to create your own sunshine”

USA. Day 9. WFD

I don’t know where this second list came from but I thought I would add myself to it as well.

Pocket list day 9
    @snowflake56
    @at (2nd of B2B2B2B)
    @ccco. WFD

DTF šŸš«šŸøšŸ·šŸŗšŸ„‚
    @at
    @ccco

ZBC šŸš«
    @northgeorgia
    @at ā€“ every day!
    @ccco

@stitchincarol

Day 9 Minnesota, USA FD800

@basyjames – Thanks for the link…it looks interesting and I’ll read it later.
    @songbirdme – What brand of psyllium capsules do you use? Little additional non-caloric fiber can only help, and maybe help with keeping cholesterol levels normal as well.
    @ccco – Don’t worry, you will get yourself back in control and get your weight back down.
    @daffodil2010 – How scary that must have been! I hope you get some answers and reassurance today, or soon, anyway.
    @penz – Glad to hear the bug has gone…..I’m sure traveling as you do exposes you to all sorts of bugs. Take care!
    @snowflake56 – Good for you getting that walk accomplished! And I’m glad your health issues are sorted for now. So glad you are with us!
    @i-hate-lettuce – It’s good to hear that your wrinkles have improved with exercise…..it gives me hope! LOL. And for sure show off those shoulders….a most attractive part of a man!
    @dvw – I remember that saying about thinking of exercise as medicine, too! So true and something to keep in mind when feeling like it’s too much time and effort. I keep thinking it was @markie99 who said that, but I may be wrong.
    @michelinme – I’m happy for your (inevitable) 6 pound drop…..I knew it couldn’t be actual fat gain. Still, 6 additional pounds does not feel good, and I’m glad for you it is gone.
    @stitchincarol – Wow, 80F? We are suppose to make 64 F here. I will have the windows open as I am painting, but I’ll get out for a couple miles or so no matter what today. Enjoy!
    @at – Thank you for putting me on the Dry list. It’s turning out to be one of my better decisions to be dry for 6 weeks and get myself moving in the right direction.!

Pocket list day 9
    @snowflake56
    @at (2nd of B2B2B2B)
    @northerndawn

DTF šŸš«šŸøšŸ·šŸŗšŸ„‚
    @at

ZBC šŸš«
    @northgeorgia
    @at ā€“ every day!
    @northerndawn – every day.

@stitchincarol
    @northerndawn

Second Post

Sorry, @ccco, our posts crossed and our lists are missing each other’s names. Oh well, we know we are on them! Good luck!

Day 9 North Canton OH NFD

Quick post to check in, I will catch up on posts later.

@ I hate lettuce a budgie smuggler but not a mankini ?!!!! You are hilarious, I almost passed out on the floor from that one šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

USA. Day 9. WFD

Basyjames, could you tell me the brand of that scale you bought and how well it works? I am interested in getting one, too. Back in the 1990s I had purchased a scale along those lines. The concept was pretty new then and, unfortunately, it didn’t work. I would like to try again. Thanks.

My 24 hour war feast is over and I have carefully measured my meal. I hope by the end of this week, I get some good news on the scale. I hope everyone else’s 5:2 is going well, too. I am surprised and grateful that I am not overwhelmingly hungry!

Day 9 UK NFD

Aiming for a good week as the kids have organised a lovely finish at home meal for us on Saturday night as a Motherā€™s Day treat

What awful health related experiences youā€™ve both had @stitchincarol & @daffodil2010 Hope youā€™ll be on the mend soon

So glad it was a temporary blip @michelinme I must admit I try to just get weighed on Fridays now as the post weekend swing can be scary

Bit late but my take on exercise is for me itā€™s essential it makes me feel better and makes me more aware of my body Alas I also believe itā€™s true you canā€™t exercise yourself thin šŸ˜¢

Day 9 USA (Illinois) NFD

Yesterday’s FD was great at just about 400 calories, and that included my apple. Eating an apple on a FD does seem to help with my digestion, keeping my tract moving. Some at least.

@northerndawn – I generally buy the big bottle of psyllium capsules at Costco, although generic Wal-Mart is also a good price. I really dislike drinking any of the fiber supplements (Citrucel, Metamucil, etc.) so the capsules work for me.

@snowflake56 – as this website tells us, these blended progressive lenses are good for presbyopia (elder eye…like mine) https://www.mastereyeassociates.com/progressive-lenses

@penz – yes, I do enjoy some fish. Herring and sardines must be from my Swedish heritage, but also anchovies in Caesar dressing or on pizza. Hope your tummy troubles are gone by now.

@daffodil2010 – be well! Prayers your stress is fully relieved.

@at – what is wrong with some indulgence? Isn’t that why we do this WOL?

@brightonbelle – I agree that exercise (in moderation for me) does help my attitude and demeanor.

Onward and downward.

Day 9 – NSW, AU – FD800

Managed a 22 hour fast today, although I did have to suck on a Strepsils around 18 hours in for a throat tickle. Needed the black tea though (yay for a bit of caffeine!) Ended up having 2 more hot cross buns (still got a few in the freezer) before lunch of a serving of tomato and basil soup and a wholewheat bread roll and still had calories spare!!

Day 10, FD, Aus

Friends, Dear, a Final Decision, with Fierce Determination, it will be a Fast Day. No Feasting Debacle for me! And Iā€™ve put it out there, drawing on the power of ā€˜external accountabilityā€™ as @michelinme so aptly describes it.

Relieved to hear you got your BP back down to normal, @Dafffodil2010 and good luck with your doctor today.

Go you and Leslie @snowflake56! You both rock.

Thanks @IHL ā€“ the cruise sounds divine. I bet the anticipation of finally getting on board will make it even more rewarding. @stitchincarolā€™s comment about you being the local poster boy gave me a mental picture of you striking the pose in your budgie smugglers. Oh that image will keep me laughing all day!!

I have to say @michelinme, your meals sound so delicious. And super healthy.

Day 10 pocket list (and been a while since Iā€™ve started one of those!)
    @penz

Happy hump day everyone!

Day 10 – Ireland šŸ‡®šŸ‡Ŗ – NFD

Working from home today as I have my doctors phone consultation later and I don’t want to take it in my office, or worse, in my car in the carpark šŸ˜€

My BP has been normal since Monday night TG, thanks you all for your kind thoughts @snowflake56, @michelinme, @stitchincarol, @northerdawn, @brightonbelle, @at, @songbirdme, @penz……..just knowing you guys are there helps. I haven’t told anyone else about my scary BP spike, except DH of course, TG he was there.

It might have been food poisoning as I did have a terrible couple of toilet episodes Monday evening when the BP was crashing through the roof….anyhoo, will tell all to my doc and hopefully get sorted.

Cardiac and high BP are in my family, that’s why I try to keep the weight down and exercise, keep BP normal n

So on the exercise theme, I truly believe that exercise is medicine. I have been doing daily something for as long as I can remember, but as @brightonbelle noted, you can’t exercise yourself thin…..I have walked over 10k steps a day and sessions in the gym and still remained overweight. It’s watching my food and alcohol intake aligned with exercise that works for me.

I am not going to do FD this week, it’s about healthy nutrition and relaxation this week….back to FD’s next week.

Happy hump day. šŸŖ

Day 10 – Lake district UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

Raining steadily so walk later, bottle the beer I brewed 2 weeks ago this morning I think!

@songbirdme – you are right, nothing wrong with indulgence, with this WOL you can have the occasional indulgent day and no harm done!

@penz @stitchincarol – due to your remarks about the budgie smugglers and striking a pose I have now added a medallion and gold chain to my shopping list šŸ˜‰ šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚

Take care all

Day 10, Emden Germany, FD

I must confess I actually liked the exercise so now I see no reason for not doing it anymore, so thank you all for being so positive about exercising.

My DH came home yesterday from work to go into quarantaine. Apart from our weekly shopping at 7:00 am and my DH’s work we didn’t have any contacts since early December. Last Wednesday my DH had to go to the dentist with severe tooth pain and one of the assistants has been tested positive. At his work everyone gets tested on Monday and Friday and both tests were negative. He’s on his way to get a PCR-test now. We hope the result will be negative as today is day 8 after the dentist appointment and he doesn’t have any symptoms.

@i-hate-lettuce I think I like my sofa too much! With your hunky shoulders I imagine you now as a kind of Colin Firth lookalike!

@michelinme I’m glad everything turned out fine.

@stitchincarol I would go out for a walk if there was something nice to go to but Emden has not much to offer.

@songbirdme I’d never heard of those lenses before, very interesting.

@northerndawn It’s good to be back here.

@at I had it worse, it’s only my left hand now, the “S” problem never got better but it’s fine.

@daffodil2010 I so glad your BP is back to normal again, it’s scary when you’re on a high level.

@dvw “Somebody said they think of exercise as medicine.”, that’s good one, I’ll try to get that into my mind.

@basyjames Thanks for the link, I’ll read later. I also would be interested in the name of your new scales.

Time to do my now daily exercise and as I’m feeling good today I’m going for another FD as well and join @michelinme and @at!

Pocket list day 10
    @penz
    @snowflake56 (3rd of B2B2B)
    @michelinme (3rd of B2B2B)
    @at (3rd of B2B2B2B)

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 10 – Lisbon, Portugal 16:8

Another day of working at home, here in Portugal we remain confined by the corona virus.

My eating plan continues to go well, I have been losing weight and I have been feeling quite well.

it is interesting that on the days of eating I feel more hungry than on the days of fasting.

Hug to everyone
    Nuno

Day 10, UK, OMAD

Yesterday was a successful OMAD, but today will be harder as I’m not great at back-to-backs, but my timetable this week requires it.

@basyjames – Thanks so much for posting that link! I did NOT know that fasting “Has been shown to increase the expression of superoxide dismutase and catalase, two powerful antioxidant enzymes that can clean up ROS in your cells”
    This is a really big deal from a health perspective šŸ™‚ Hooray!

@snowflake56 – Is your hypokalemia as a result of Covid? I now have hyponatremia (low blood sodium levels) due to Covid. If I let my sodium levels fall, then my potassium and other blood electrolytes fall as a result.
    Sorry also to hear that your husband is now having to quarantine.

@daffodil2010 – good luck recovering, what an ordeal.

Good luck to everyone fasting today šŸ™‚

2nd post

@fivetwofan5252 No, I didn’t have Covid. I’m sorry you had it, do they think you will fully recover from it? Do you use diuretics? The first time I had it, it was diagnosed as a stroke but they later found out it was hypoPP. It took a long time to recover from it and some weaknesses won’t go away again. For some unknown reason I can’t keep my potassium levels up although there are a few things that can trigger it.

Day 10 – Canada – FD

Good morning all.

Trying for a good FD. Lovely cool sunny day and perfect for a long walk. It will have to wait until after my hair appointment. Iā€™ll also do a short HIIT and a bit of resistance training. Then I must finish up my income tax prep – urggg, maybe watching curling at the same time will make the task more bearable.

@snowflake56 – I hope your DH is okay, such a worry.

So impressed with all the B2B fasters! Best of luck to you all.

Pocket list day 10
    @penz
    @at (3rd of B2B2B2B)
    @dvw

Day 10 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 226 lbs. Looking forward to today’s FD!

Good luck, everyone!

Pocket list day 10
    @penz
    @at (3rd of B2B2B2B)
    @dvw
    @northgeorgia (ZBC)

Day 10 – USA/DC – FD

Itā€™s beautiful here – birds chirping, 70 degrees, sunny – just lovely. Am still steady thankfully, up and down a pound each week. Today is my FD for the week. I had a little conversation with myself that went like this:
    ā€œ I donā€™t feel like doing a FD, ugh. But wait – FD one day a week and I can stay at this weight and NEVER have to go on a diet again. One day a week – for goodness sake – thatā€™s nothing.ā€
    So now I feel ready, hoping that mindset sticks. :)))). Need those little chats with myself every now and then.
    I finally broke down and had a glass of wine last night – so lovely. My dry January had moved into dry February and continued into March until last night. :)))
    Now I need to make sure I donā€™t decide to return to a glass nightly or all thoughts of maintenance (and all mindfulness) will fly out the window.
    Happy spring all.

Day 10 UK NFD

Very envious of those of you enjoying good weather Horrid grey cold rainy day here Really brings home the reality of being in our 3rd total lockdown for months now ……

Day 10 UK NFD

Yesterday worked well again – this having a plan and food ready really works for me. It even swerved to pick up my 82yo mother-bubble coming over for our weekly tea, which I’d remembered and prepared for but not counted! We ha

This morning I had ANOTHER unexpected chocolate delivery (what is it with my friends?!) and having opened the box wI just opened the chocolates. The difference this time is that I didn’t eat the lot – phew! – but I now have fewer calories to squeeze thru the rest of the day and get in some good nutrition. I’m all set with crunchy slaw, marmite tea and butternut squash/courgette/spinach dal with mushrooms. The sugar will take a bit of recovery time and I won’t be making kale crisps today but think i could swerve and rope it back in.

My lunchtime zoom yoga class didn’t work out – the link with details came much too late to prepare. i think they forgot to send to newbies and assumed everyone was a regular. Hope to join next Wednesday. I’m off for a short stretch now, then a few emails and catch up with lent course reading before this evening’s meeting. Strength to all fasters!

@snowflake56 thankyou for adding me to the pocket list for today – that’s what helped to rope me back in. Lovely to have you & @at for company on b2b FDs. If I get through today I’d be glad to join @at for another FD tomorrow. My 5:2 head is resetting despite the sugar dive today – all the best mistakes are learning opportunities šŸ™‚

@daffodil2010 hope the doctor appt has been a helpful one
    @penz @nellen well done on the commmitment – you’ve got this!
    @brightonbelle yes the misery of grey, gloomy, wet, windy days is like no other… hopefully warmer sunnier days very soon

Pocket list day 10
    @penz
    @at (3rd of B2B2B2B)
    @dvw
    @northgeorgia (ZBC)
    @nellen

USA. Day 10. FD800

BrightonBelle, I feel for you. That’s a lot of lockdowns. Here all of the sudden, it seems vaccines are everywhere! Accessing appointments has been almost impossible and I had become so discouraged that I was beginning to think I wasn’t going to bother trying anymore. The process was way too hard. I signed up on every single wait list available to me back in January but to this day, no one every got back to me…very depressing and distressing. I even signed up for state alerts to let me know when somewhere a vaccine was available. Finally, one night I took my phone and my computer to bed with me. I was awakened early in the morning by the noise of my phone alert. I got up so quickly and despite my brain fog, I went on to the alerted site and took two appointments. My experience was such that I needed two appointments to be sure I was accepted at one. I got my first dose and am awaiting for my second. I was right to take two appointments because when I went to give up the other that site had an error for my confirmed appointment and I would have been turned away! I swear I am suffering from PTSD just from the vaccine search effort.

Now on a better front, I am down 2 lbs.! Yay! Getting rid of the wine is doing well for me. Yesterday, I at 510 calories and today I plan to come in at 424 calories. To this end, I am adding myself to the day’s pocket list.

Pocket List Day 10

@penz
    @at (3rd of B2B2B2B)
    @dvw
    @northgeorgia (ZBC)
    @nellen
    @ccco FD800

DTF
    @ccco

Day 10 USA CD or FD800?

It’s a gloomy, chilly rainy day here, today, so it looks like no outdoor walk today. I don’t mind the rain, just when it’s cold.
    I painted until 8 pm yesterday and forgot to eat supper, so I came in under 500 cals. I’ve been trying to average 800 cals/day but I may allow myself TDEE today to get me through doing the second coat of painting.
    I’ve also been doing some combination of yoga, HIIT, strength, and core daily, with walking in addition, and find myself a bit on the tired side. So, today, I think I’ll skip all but the painting.

@ccco – Thanks for describing your travails of getting vaccinated. I had not thought of making two appointments. As I am 64, (the “magic” cut off number), and not an educator or a childcare provider, I have not been eligible. It is frustrating to me that they say 96% of deaths are in people 55 and older, yet somehow in my state you have to be 65 to be eligible. Did you sign up at pharmacies? Did you sign up at providers other than your usual health provider? They have just, today, opened it up to 45-64 y/o now if you have an underlying health issue that is recognized by the CDC (I do not). And to meatpacking workers of all ages, essential workers of a long list, people living in multigenerational households……etc., many, many people ahead of people 60-64. I’m so glad you finally got in to get your vaccine! I will just carry on and try to stay safe.

@songbirdme – Thanks…..I will have DH look for the psyllium capsules on the next Costco trip!

Good luck to all!

USA. Day 10. FD800

NorthernDawn, I live in a state that is still in phase 1c. Here that means everyone 65 and older. School teachers were added recently, so we could return our children to the classrooms. I am 70 but with the addition of the school teachers, the 75+ group and the 65+ group found themselves in difficulty at getting an appointment. My sister who is a professor and will turn 65 this year got an appointment through the famous Vaccine Hunters for herself and her husband. She waited with him online for 3 hours at a healthcare systems outside D.C. but when they got to her, she was turned away. She couldn’t get the vaccine based on her age, which she knew, but they said they would have to turn professors away because they only had enough vaccines for K-12 teachers. Her husband was able to get his vaccine. My sister was very upset, as you can imagine. We both wound up getting our vaccines at CVS Pharmacies. My other appointment was at M&T Football stadium in Baltimore. University of Maryland was running two mass vaccination sites, our Convention Center and M&T Stadium. They really need new technicians. It was a mess! If you are having the problems we are here, I do recommend setting up two appointments, if you can. You can always get rid of one after you get your first dose. Good luck! I cannot tell you how relieved I am now!

Day 10 WFD8 North Canton OH

Another busy day today, but I bought myself 10 minutes that I can use to post.

First of all, I am so glad that others are finding the link useful. It really has helped me focus my fasting and weight loss efforts in a way that I have not been in a long time. Secondly that scale wow? Honestly, I am a huge fan, and it works amazingly well, especially considering the price. It cost me $20 on Amazon with free shipping, Here are the details I get from stepping on the scale:
    Weight (of course)
    BMI
    Body fat%
    Fat free body weight
    Subcutaneous fat
    Visceral Fat
    Body water
    Skeletal muscle
    Muscle mass
    Bone mass
    BMR
    And it uses all of the above to calculate metabolic age
    I used the BMR yesterday to calculate my calories for my NFD day, and I felt really light at the end of the day. All the information directly flows into a free app, and the app plots the information on a graph which I find very motivating. I also set a notification to play a catchy tune when I lose weight, so I was rewarded with a celebratory jingle when I lost a pound this morningšŸ¤øā€ā™€ļø . Set up was really easy too.
    The scale is the FitIndex Bluetooth Body fat scale and here is a link if you care to look into it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-FITINDEX-Wireless-Bathroom-Composition/dp/B078HW8BPY

@Daffodill2010 what a scare! I am so glad that your numbers are better

@snowflake56 I hope your OH tests negative. Too many people I know are having residual effects from getting COVID-19 even those with mild symptoms

@fivetwofan5252 I agree it is a big deal -Fasting has so many health benefits

@michelinme what wonderful friends, they are thinking of you and your wellbeing and trying to express it the best way they know how – with gifts of chocolate šŸ’œ

@ccco yay for 2 pounds down!! I am trying to get OH scheduled for the vaccine and uggh, it is such a process

Pocket list time
    Pocket List Day 10

@penz
    @at (3rd of B2B2B2B)
    @dvw
    @northgeorgia (ZBC)
    @nellen
    @ccco FD800
    @basyjames WFD

DTF
    @ccco

USA. Day 10. FD800

BasyJames, thank you for the info on that scale. I just purchased it and will receive tomorrow! šŸ™‚

Day 10 Florida USA FD I’m well into today’s FD. In the most hungry mid-afternoon part. I need to go drink a liter of water! I like to do Tuesdays and Fridays for FD’s. That might have to change soon as I’m joining a Pilates studio with 8 classes/month and Tuesday and Friday morning would then become scheduled exercise. I’ll have to see if I can handle Pilates on a FD. I know I can do swimming, biking, or yoga on a FD but Pilates with machines is a bit more demanding. I have Multiple Sclerosis (37 years now) so I don’t do anything high intensity. @ccco I’m sorry you’ve had trouble getting a vaccine appointment. Hubby and I go for our 2nd shot tomorrow. The supply here in Florida has dramatically increased lately. And our governor, who is mostly good for nothing, did make 65+’ers getting the shot a priority (to try to make himself more popular.) @michelinme I can relate to the friends/chocolate thing. My husband, who knows I’m on the 5/2, bought two Snickers bars this week! Carry On all you good folks.

Day 10 – Ireland – CD

Hi all Iā€™ve been having wifi issues which has made things that little bit more time consuming/frustrating! So Iā€™m working off my phone hotspot during the day and Iā€™m frazzled now šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

Iā€™m sorry to hear that many of you are suffering with ailments and @stitchincarol and @daffodil2010 what a stressful time for both of you! Hoping you and all who are not feeling 100% are doing ok!

Other than my tech issues all is ok here … a good FD yesterday and Iā€™ll try for another tomorrow before heading home Friday to look after mum at the weekend… weight is good and generally around where I want it to be… I wouldnā€™t quite say maintenance … but a few more lbs should do it.šŸ‘

Iā€™ll have a chance to catch up on posts over the weekend but in the meantime stay safe and well all!

Onward and downward ā¬‡ļø
    We rise by lifting others šŸ’•

Day 10 USA (Illinois) NFD

Quick check in – looks like our spell of beautiful weather is over with rain settling in, wind, and cooler temps.

Onward and downward.

Day 10 – NSW, AU – CFD

A 22 hour fast broken by some Belvita Minis at 11:30am. Lunch was a sweet potato cottage pie which and then when I got home I ended up having a couple of the raspberry and white chocolate hot cross buns plus peanut butter on a sourdough roll. Although I had about 1300 calories which was under my goal weight TDEE.

Oh and weight was 88.7kg, that’s almost 2kg so far this month, even though I’m not sticking to the FD800 religiously.

Day 11, OMAD, Aus

I mentally drew on you all yesterday to get through my FD. The first for the month!! Bit harder than I was expecting but I was telling myself hunger is good. How did everyone else go? OMAD today after a work breakfast (Iā€™m usually a ZBC member so this will well and truly do me for the day).

Interesting how many of you refer to exercise as medicine. That label doesnā€™t sit right with me because who WANTS to take medication!!

@IHL!!! Medallion, gold chain and please, please add a sash!!

Cross fingers for MrSnowflake. I hope you are both staying positive while testing negative!

Youā€™re doing so well, @nuno.

Self-talk really helps, @nellen, and I love the way you rationally convinced yourself.

What a relief, @ccco, on both counts: vaccinated and weight loss.

I missed what youā€™re painting, @northerndawn. House or art work?

@basyjames and others: I do miss Amazon in the States when we lived in Florida for a few years. Our .au Amazon just isnā€™t as good. Sigh. (Though my credit card is happier!)

You are such a positive example of how this WOL works and still allows us treats, @toady. 2kg down AND having raspberry and white chocolate hot cross buns!

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 495 total)

You must be logged in to reply.