2 months – 7kg weight loss for over 55 female – happy days

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Soul Personal stories
2 months – 7kg weight loss for over 55 female – happy days

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  JacH 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• So on January 31 of this year my husband and I made the decision to try the 5:2 fasting life style choice. I have tried other diets / fads and nothing seemed to work in shifting my middle age post menopausal spread.

So for the first two weeks – nothing, no weight loss – nothing, I couldn’t believe it. My husband went online and found articles saying don’t give up keep persevering and so we did. But we made changes, although I always thought it was a waste of time in the past we started daily diaries and recording everything we ate. I did mine electronically which I found much easier. I was amazed at how many calories we were consuming but had not considered – this has made a real difference to our weight loss journey. We have basically cut out most processed foods, we still enjoy a glass of wine on the weekends and the occasional treat. We looked on line and found healthy low calorie meals for fast days – which because we enjoy so much are becoming our normal non fast day meals but with extra salad / vegetables. found an amazing spicy chicken soup that is now a firm favorite and not expensive to make. and the best part is that I can transfer the whole recipe onto my phone and the app processes how many calories are in the recipe.

Exercise wise, we haven’t really changed our exercise routine, we walk about 6 kms 3 to 4 times a week, fast walk and that’s about it. And some pilates.

So overall I would like to say if like me, over 55 and have put on weight this is the life style choice you have been looking for. I have had friends who haven’t seen me in six weeks amazed at how much better I look and how much weight I have lost. Yes, I can take my jeans off now without having to unbutton and unzip – amazing.

I should also say to complicate matters in the middle of all of this I was prescribed oral steroids and was warned that I would more than likely put weight on, well I haven’t – I’ve just been really careful with what I am eating and drunk lots and lots of water and have found a new found fondness for black peppermint tea.

I’m not yet at my goal weight – 4 more kilos to go – but I know I will achieve it and would encourage others to consider doing this too.

Congrats on your success!
    Your post is very encouraging. I’m 54 and have been putting on weight in the last 4 years as I approached the menopause.
    Thanks very much for sharing your story!

Thank you Lovingmylife, I have been trying for ages to shift this weight and nothing seemed to work, I have found the 5:2 diet easy to follow and maintain and I am enjoying finding low fat low calorie meals on line, the main thing is to really cut back on process foods. I am now in jeans that I haven’t been able to wear for the best part of 5 years….

Hi guys sounds like things are going well for you…that’s great.

I have just started the 5:2 plan. I am 58. I have put on 10kg in the last 12 months and need to get it off. It is all on my belly. I found Saturday (my first fast day) very easy but today is harder but I am at home studying whereas was working on Saturday (a nurse). I do around 8-10km a shift at work but that doesn’t do much.
    I have also been drinking to much red wine over the past 12 months.
    This is therefore, day 4 of the 5:2 plan, 2nd fast and so far no alcohol.
    I use to fast one day a week when I was in my 20s but just stopped somewhere along the line.
    Last night I stopped after a light dinner at 6.00p.m. and have had only tea and coffee and just had a 200 calorie soup for lunch. So I can look forward to dinner tonight at 6.30p.m.
    Am I doing it right? I find it easier to have part of the 24 hour fast during the night.
    I saw the program on TV last year and it sat in the back of my mind. Recent relationship difficulties, health problems and realising I have been drinking too much have given me a jolt.
    MnM your results are very encouraging and look forward to hearing more of your progress.
    I have lost 0.75kg since Saturday but realise it is probably fluid at this stage.

browny,

If your fast day dinner at 6.30pm comes in at less than 300 calories, then you are doing it right (500 calories consumed in total. If you are just eating a normal meal (basically ending the fast at 6.30) then you are doing it wrong (you may achieve a calorie deficit but won’t get full benefits of a full fast).

So, 5:2 works as follows: eat normally the night before your fast day, go to bed, get up and eat 500 calories or less (all day), go to bed, get up and eat normally.

Good luck.

Hi,
    I’m 47 and started the fast diet a month ago as over the past 5 years I’ve put on 5kgs in weight.
    I am losing 0.5-1kg a week and have lost 3kgs which I’m delighted about.I’ve also lost 5cm off my hips and 6cm off my waist.
    I definitely find working days much easier to fast on, distraction is key for me. I have a week off work this week and am planning to be out of the house on the fasting days otherwise the hours pass much more slowly.
    It seems easier to have a 200 calorie meal at lunchtime and 300 calories at tea time, if I eat any calories at breakfast time it wakes up my appetite and my stomach is rumbling by 11am.
    I have been surprised that my energy levels have remained high on fast days and can manage an hours boxercise session with no ill effects at all. I think I’m probably busier and more active just in a bid to keep away from the kitchen!
    The past month has given me a much greater awareness of calorie content of foods which I’ve not really focussed on before and as a result we are eating more healthily and watching meal portions on a normal day as well. My urge to snack and graze has naturally reduced.
    It’s great to hear your experiences. I know a lot of people who have done this diet with good effect for a few months but not so many who stick at it long term, which having read the health benefits I’m hoping to continue, early days yet though…..!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.