2 days or 3 days?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  VibeRadiant 9 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• I work in diabetes, losing weight is the most effect treatment for type 2 Diabetes. 500 to 600 calories for 2 days is quite difficult for some people. My question is, would 3 days of a thousand calories in a week, which would give a similar deficit of calories over 1 week be as effective as 2 at 500 to 600 calories. I am trying this myself at the moment. Anyone any thoughts on this?

3 days of 1000 calories each day is maintenance according to Dr. Krista Varady (in her book The Every Other Day Diet). That’s her maintenance plan.

Personally, I’ve tried various forms of fasting. The most efficient for me is 5:2 for two consecutive days, but at 650 cals per day and low carb (less than 50 grams total carb per day), and high protein (at least 50 grams). This keeps the hunger at bay. I find the 650 cals is just as efficient as the 500 calories that Dr. Mosley recommends, plus those extra 150 cals per day make it more liveable for me.

But experiment and find what works for you. That’s what I did! Oh, and I do the two consecutive days (as recommended in the book The 2 Day Diet Quick and Easy), because if I just do two random days, I found I never get around to my second fasting day of the week!

Also, Dr. Mosley’s revised The Fast Diet is a must. So full of helpful information!

I would say that 1000 calories on each of 3 days is approaching an ordinary low calorie diet that so many people fail on. Give folks a chance to do the 5:2 as recommended as this is the way so many of us have found success.

Experiencing hunger is not a bad thing. A lot of overweight people don’t remember what hunger feels like – it can be quite satisfying to feel hungry and know that when you wake up next morning, you can satisfy that hunger. The fast days are definitely instrumental in resetting appetite levels.

I have 24 fast days under my belt now – my weight has dropped to where 450 calories is now one quarter of my TDEE. I do find fast days with only one day between them more difficult and I don’t have any plans to try consecutive days – but they work for lots of others. In the last 12 weeks I have dropped just over 9kgs (20lbs). I also keep my intake on non-fast days a little under my TDEE. This diet works for me because I don’t have to think at any stage “I can’t eat …(any type of food)” because I can eat any food that takes my fancy – I just have to be careful with my portion sizes.

I think that when people first hear of the 500 calories (600 for men) daily allowance, they balk because they think they will go hungry. Yes, for many, feeling hunger is a bad thing that brings back bad memories. I am (was) one of those people.
    But, having 12 fasts under my belt so far, I can safely say that I am doing well and enjoying the 5:2 way (I do 4:3 myself) and consuming 500 calories a day is very filling if you eat a lot of leafy greens and veggies for fillers. And eating some fat with my meals keeps me satiated as well as protein.
    It’s important to eat a balanced meal on fast days, just smaller portions but lots of veggies – they are very low cal and provide tonnes of fibre.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.