10 Months and counting

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
10 Months and counting

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  milena 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hi everyone

After a lifetime of the weight gain/weight loss routine (ring any bells?) I read an article by Mimi Spencer last year about 5:2 and something just clicked. I researched it, even bought a couple of books and on January 5th this year (well, I thought it best to get Xmas celebrations out of the way) took the plunge and began. I’m still embarrassed at what the scales indicated that morning but suffice to say I have about 6 stone to lose.

For the 1st 2 months I wrote down everything (and I do mean everything – even an absent minded lick of the spoon) that I ate. From month 3 and still today, I record what I eat on my fast days. This works for me.

There have been highs, lows and plateaux but for some unfathomable reason, this time I’m sticking with it regardless – 2 days fasting every week.

To date I have lost 3 stone, 3lb:)

Most weeks, it’s just 1lb but I no longer mind the slow pace, I’m in this for the long haul. Now, if I can just get the same motivation for exercise ……. KEEP POSITIVE everyone!

Hi Dorcas

I could have written your post!

I’m about 3 weeks behind you, looking to lose about 5 and a half stone and at 3st 1lb at the moment. Actually I think have lost 5 stone, yoyoed rather than plateaued in the summer, kept losing and gaining the same 5 lbs for months. Losses are slow and irregular at the moment, I just aim to eat less, and I do a lot of fast days so that I can enjoy the weekend’s. I am no fazed these days when the scales stick, I know they will move eventually.

Good luck with the second part of the journey.

Good to hear from you Milena and well done on your weight loss – let’s keep in touch to support each other!

I know what you mean about ‘sticking scales’ and I think not being fazed by it is a mind set as ‘traditional’ diets always seem to harp on about losing ‘so much’ per week that when you don’t you believe you’ve failed and get turned off from the diet. With 5:2 I see it as a life style change and I feel sure that when (not if) I’ve reached my target, I shall use the fasting one day per week.

It sounds odd but I actually enjoy my fast days and find I don’t get hungry at all. I’ve created a really easy to make celeriac & apple soup recipe which ‘costs’ about 80 calories for a mug and is so satisfying especially on these cooler Autumn days. Let me know if you’d like it and I’ll post it here.

I also drink peppermint tea during the day. I’ve never really liked herbal or fruit teas but peppermint seems really refreshing.

Talk soon.

Hi Dorcas

I’ve just discovered soup for 5:2, and it really is marvellous. Bred cats for years, lost my last girl not long ago, we have always bought a free range chicken, used the breasts and my cats had the rest, OH could fair strip a carcass, and we boiled it for gravy for them, they loved it.

After throwing out a few half used carcasses, I now use it to make chicken soup – 8 to ten portions for a thousand calories, quite difficult to eat more than two or three bowls, today is a non-fast day, small bowl of muesli, two bowls of soup and I may not eat again. So helpful. Now looking to build a repetoire of recipes, I watch cookery programmes for most of the day – mad eh? – as I work from home, but rarely see a good soup recipe.

I don’t like herbal or fruit tea either, though I have a cupboard full, will try the peppermint!

Be great to keep in touch – this is some journey!

So here’s my Celeriac & apple soup (makes 6 mugs):

1 celeriac (they’re all about same size) peeled and cubed, 1 average onion chopped, 2 knorr vegetable stock pots (or 2 vegetable stock cubes whatever you normally use). 1 large cooking apple or 2 eating apples peeled and chopped.
    Put everything in a large pan and add enough water to just cover. Cook until celeriac soft and then blend until smooth. You can add extra water if it seems too thick. Each mug will be no more than 80 calories and very satisfying. Enjoy!

thanks, will give it a go and get back to you!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.