1 year on – going to 6:1 now

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Soul Personal stories
1 year on – going to 6:1 now

This topic contains 31 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  wiltldnrUSA 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

• Hi,

finally had my “anniversary”! I have been on this diet for one year now and my plan was to go to 6:1 if my blood test was what I wanted it to be. I just got the result…

Glucose – 4.3
    Cholesterol – 4.5
    HDL – 1.4
    LDL – 2.8
    Triglycerides – 0.8

This is all good news and I am pleased to see my cholesterole on a level I did not think possible in my case. My blood pressure is 115/70, BMI 21.7, fat percentage 11.5%… this is all very pleasing and I am very happy about the cardiovascular profile.

What is less good news is that my IGF1 has INCREASED from April by 25%! It is still in a healthy range but it was 121 6 months ago and is now 151… I am baffled actually. I have, besides my two fasting days, not made any change I am aware so I am at loss to explain how the value went up that much. I did add some further protein a couple of months ago as I was concerned that I did not get enough. But I still doubt that it would have such a dramatic impact. I am thinking that my body may have reacted very well initially to the diet (from an unknown level) and then got used to the diet, pushing back the IGF1 level to the original level. I have no idea really and am a bit disappointed…

However, that is still an OK level although I know that it is not really a low level (rather, it is something that does not put me in a higher risk category)and the diet really did miracles to my cholesterol and it has been a fantastic weight management tool. I will now remove the extra protein on my fast day as there should be no need for it and this may perhaps bring down my IGF1 as well to a more pleasant level. I feel sharper and leaner and my running is better than ever! So I am going to 6:1 now but am planning to be cautious about my extra feast day and in case I see the need for it, go back to 5:2. Then we will see in another year what has happened to my body πŸ™‚

Happy anniversary and congratulations Tobias!

Great numbers. I hope to get there before my 5:2 anniversary (need to lower my LDL to match yours)

I think the whole IGF-1 issue is premature and that the BBC documentary gave it to much focus. The normal range for IGF-1 is wide and who knows what the optimal level should be? Who knows if a 25% increase will put you at a higher risk of disease (given the level is still within normal range)?

Thanks for your comments πŸ™‚

Yes, it is important to stop and think about the fact that there is still so much to learn about this, and there are so many different parameters that come into play. I just wanted to share my story with you all as I am very pleased about the cholesterole.

I actually felt by the end of this year that it was about time to go to 6:1. I felt very “drained” after my second fast day of the week and the sleeping problems on a fast day that so many of us share started to get to me. So I think that this is really the right time for maintenance mode πŸ™‚

Congratulations Tobias to get to your one year. Hoping the 6.1 goes well for you, keep us informed.

tobias

u must be so proud

u r now part of that elite group along w/ michael

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers!!!!!!!!!!!!

the sleeping part is better now it crops up once & awhile

just don’t be like jeanius & leave this forum

we welcome ur posts & replies & would like 2 c how a 6/1 lives πŸ˜€

the igf???????

what proteins were u eating in excess & r now eliminating

happy 6/1’s

Hi,

thanks for all your kind words! I wish I had more rock-hard knowledge to share with you and that I were able to respond to more questions, not only ask them, but I only have my experience to share! I would have been prouder if also my IGF1 was good πŸ™‚

I only have meat once per week, so I am taking an extra tablespoon of soy protein on a fast day. I know you need to be careful with it, but my thyroid was perfectly normal when I was at the doctor and I really have not taken more than two tablespoons a day on a fast day. I should come in well below 50g of protein (I am 71kg and 182cm) a day. Other than that, I cannot think about anything I have changed – I have certainly not added more meat to my diet. The blood test was on the final day of my four consecutive feast days, but I strongly doubt that this should mean a 25% increase… I will anyway decrease or remove the soy protein altogether. With one fasting day per week, I do not see the need for it any more. Then we will see at the end of next year. I am not going to worry about that IGF1 level, unless it has gone up when I take the test next time. It just feels irritating and confusing at this point… I just do not know what I am doing wrong… It is really odd that everything else is in range – there was even a measurement of the protein in my bloodstream and that was in the lower range but healthy, and was the same as last time I did this test. So really, I am at a loss here but I hope that you guys do not experience this.

I was thinking that I will move around my one fast day during the week… just to confuse my body a bit :). So sometimes it could be a Tuesday, sometimes a Thursday.

Glad that the sleep works better for you! I will get some myself now to finish off this fast day πŸ™‚

tobias,

i don’t think concentrated soy protein or soy protein isolate is good 4 u & i have had that on google alert 4 awhile
    don’t know where the article was but they were trying 2 reverse or improve cancer & it caused all kinds of problems

i think our bodies want good real food they know how 2 extract the best 4 it’s needs

of course visceral fat 2 our bodies is just like an overprotective mother if something goes wrong it will have something 2 eat
    which in the end will hurt us
    any extreme is wrong

it is a very secretive balancing act

also i seem 2 remember ur great advice mayb i’m wrong but weren’t u the 1 who said 2 fastday b4 taking tests mayb it has skewed the results due 2 not fasting the whole day w/ no food b4

i’m not a scientist but i think our bodies & feelings or instincts know when something is wrong

i saw a very old post from me saying

looking 4 a different food pyramid having concerns on how much whole grain a day

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/looking-4-a-different-food-pyramid-having-concerns-on-how-much-whole-grain-a-day/

& lo & behold the science is saying this is poison that’s on my reversal post

wish u a better igf1 which i bet u do have anyway

however, r u feeling good in all ways?

success in ur 6/1s πŸ˜€

tobias,

ooops 4got 2 say

concerning “I was thinking that I will move around my one fast day during the week… just to confuse my body a bit”

i really believe ur right

that is why it is good 2 surprise ur metabolism

like michael said give it a wake up & time 2 scramble & fix

i even think other types of food or health diets on different days would wake the body 2 rest & fix never knowing what is going 2 happen from vegetarian that day or nuts & fruit that day

or mediterranean or lowcarbhighfat or cycling carbs

i mean there is an article on bacon no nitrates & creamcheese

being healthy 4 the heart will look in2 it further b4 i post

whatever is healthy w/ of course the most important 1

fasting

what do u think?

happy nonfastdays & fastdays & 6/1 πŸ˜€

Tobias, how much weight did you lose in the year?

By the way, it’s great to have a forum where we hear about someone like you who has stuck with it for a complete year. I am in month 7 and will keep going.

Hello,

I am now in my second week of 6:1 and I am still adapting to my “new life”, haha. It feels very odd actually as 5:2 was very much of a life style. 6:1, so far, more feels like something that happens once per week. I am curious as to whether I will re-gain some weight… I think I will “win back a kilo or two” but we will see. I really want to keep my calorie intact low on that fasting day to make it efficient. Yesterday I had one single meal at perhaps 400 calories for lunch and ate nothing else. So that gave me two fasting periods of 16-18 hours over a period of around 36 hours.

As for soy protein – I think USA is right and I think this is where the problem with my IGF1 has come from. The reason why I ate soy was because I eat very little meat. Again, I think that two table spoons of soy protein is not much but it is the only reason I can think of as a possible culprit behind that IGF1 value. I stopped taking it now anyway as with one day per week of fasting, I truly do not see the need to pay very close attention to my protein intake if you look at the intake over a whole week. And thinking of it, how good does it sound to eat concentrated protein? So soy protein goes out! I am now eating something like half a table spoon of oat bran (you say that in English? you know, not the grain itself bit the “peal” – for many people this is really useful for the cholesterol level). I was also quite shocked to learn how bad soy protein can be for you as other surveys hail it.

Jim, I may or may not be a good reference point for you… the reason I went for this diet was more about the cholesterol level than for the weight. I had a couple of annoying kilos I wanted to get rid of around my waist but I was perfectly normal-weight nonetheless. I am 182cm and went from 76 to a typical weight of 70 kilos on this diet (it has varied over the weeks and during the day between 68-72, depending on when I measured my weight). So not a huge decrease in terms of kilos but it definitely worked and this diet has been fantastic in terms of maintaining that weight. I also think that once I had got rid of those additional kilos, my weight loss rather quickly levelled out. I definitely did not want to go further down anyway – I have a BMI of around 21 which is great for me and I definitely do not want to be under-weight! I think that had I had a greater “surplus”, I probably would have lost much more in terms of kilos then I actually did. But who knows!

So I am definitely not the biggest “loser” in this forum πŸ™‚ (I mean in terms of weight loss). But for me the “magic” thing about this diet is that it is so simple, it really works for me in keeping that weight that I achieved (I see no other diet that would have been able to do this) and the sharpness I felt a day after the fasting day.

I need to finish this posting now… but will be back!

So back again!

USA, I am really feeling great. The checkup I went to was all positive and all values were just great. Also my thyroid showed no signs of disturbance (I know that many people have problems with it on this diet and that soy protein may impact it, but it was perfectly good). So besides that IGF1 value that stood out from the crowd, the values were all superb really, which I am very grateful for.

I am actually thinking a lot about having a couple of low-carb days a week… especially when I am not running. Just to try it out. My stomach and I are not always good friends and I know that many people had excellent results by being on low-carb in different ways – glucose, cholesterol, metabolism, digestion etc. I do not want to go to a real LCHF, on-going diet but it would definitely be interesting to see if carving out the carbs a couple of days per week (but not reducing the calories) will make a difference…

I can definitely also say that sleeping is much less of a concern to me now on 6:1. I am really only two weeks into this so I need more time to conclude anything, but I have never been really good at sleeping πŸ™‚ and it really got to me by the end of this past year. Now with only one fasting day, it is simply less of an issue for me and it is easier so far to cope with any sleeping problem once per week than if it is twice per week… which goes without saying.

I think I shared this in a previous post already, but my experience was really by the end of this year that I wanted to go to 6:1. My body wanted to. I think that I plateaued because my body had reached a level where there was no major reason to lose more weight. At some point it felt like the second fasting day really sucked the energy out of me; it was probably not what happened, but it felt as though I was carving out pieces of reserves that my body really wanted to keep “just in case”. So although I planned to give 5:2 a year, this signal strengthened this intention around the same time. I saw someone else who wondered when it is time to go to 6:1 and so I share my experience with you. However, I really think it depends on what the goal with the diet is and how much you want/have to lose of weight or reduce glucose etc. I have been lucky enough not to have any medical condition, so I have been in the fortunate situation where I could try out and give things time. My cholesterol level was always on the verge of the unhealthy so I wanted to do something about it in time and just to be able to take it off the list.

tobias

glad ur feeling great & have great results!

“for me the β€œmagic” thing about this diet is that it is so simple, it really works for me in keeping that weight that I achieved (I see no other diet that would have been able to do this) and the sharpness I felt a day after the fasting day.”

this is exactly the elegance of this

i think ur right on the lchf

i have 1 day where it is anything i want no diet

of course i’m type2 no sugar or white bread

but we have 2 keep a balance

still go 2 my topics

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/users/wiltldnrusa/topics/

u will c some new research i’ve found

poor atkins he has been screaming that the lowfat

high carb was hurting us

now whole countries/scientists r seeing their error

here is the link especially about cholesterol

eddy gave

http://www.youtube.com/user/drjasonfung?feature=watch

i’m still listening 2 this but when he explains cholesterol it is mind blowing & i think it will help u especially the good news about cholesterol mortality & aging

it is in this section be patient it is in there

The Aetiology of Obesity Part 6 of 6: Dietary Villains – Fat Phobia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QetsIU-3k7Y

keep us posted

happy 6/1 πŸ˜€

tobias

“the values were all superb really, which I am very grateful for.”

great news

tobias

wow u have 2 listen 2 this vid

what it he showing w/ all these 2013 studies is that all the things we were told 2 eat

caused

diabetes strokes heart attacks heart diseases cancer

& based on everything why the french & the mediterranian diet is the best

of course i still

will add it w/ fasting always

Hey USA,

Thanks for the links! I will have a look in a day or two; right now my family is asleep in the room just beside me so I need to remain silent πŸ™‚

Just wanted to comment on what you said about preparing for the blood test… while I did try to pay attention by not boosting any values with any stupid foods, I was not in a position during the days before the blood test to be on a perfectly strict regime. So I just made sure to eat moderately of the foods available to me. I also ensured to drink plenty of water – not to dilute the blood really πŸ™‚ but to ensure that no value shot up because of lack of water. As I mentioned my IGF1 was poor but I had no additional soy or major injections of protein that weekend. Just normal food that I would have on a typical weekend. So I think that I was all set for a “fair trial” during that blood test and I am certain that my IGF1 was not because of something stupid I did that weekend but something I had messed up for longer.

My glucose was also slightly higher than it had been in the past, but this is no concern to me. I used to be on 3.8-4.1 and now it was on 4.3 and it also was 4.7 during a blood test this summer. So I think that change is there to stay even if it is just marginally higher and no problem at all. I am just curious as to why the level has gone up a little. It can be somewhat increased glucose sensitivity or that I compensate, unwillingly, by eating more carbs on a feast day.

hey tobias

when r u going 2 test ur ifgf1 in 6 months or a yr?

mine was normal πŸ™‚
    & that is with high everything???

blood pressure πŸ™
    triglycerides πŸ™
    vap πŸ™
    glycemic πŸ™

but all my body vitamins/minerals/nutrients r not deficient
    which is good πŸ™‚

so i doubt ur igf1 is something 2 worry about
    ur all other tests were great πŸ˜€ still i know ur curious

have u researched false positives igf1?

again the clarity of this video i really think will help u & i’m dying 2 hear ur comments/opinions/thoughts/critiques πŸ™‚

i always listen 2 books movies utube podcasts w/ a very long earbud πŸ˜‰ so not 2 b rude

happy 6/1 & an excellent igf1

Hey USA,

Listening to the link in the background :). I am also sometimes visiting a Swedish LCHF site and the things mentioned in your clip are often mentioned on that site.

I will leave the IGF1 test for 1 year from now. I do not want to be consumed by this and as I have no medical condition (thankfully) I am in no hurry really. I am very interested in this kind of topics which is why I want to find out how my body responds to this and that, but I think that it would be wrong to run to the doctor every few months and at every dietary change just to see what happens when I do this or that. I was disappointed with the IGF1 but not worried – I would, however, be worried if my values continues to grow and would be even higher next year. If it is back on 120, where it was back in April, then I am sure that I have a sustainable diet.

Total cholesterol is not a good markor of the risk for heart disease. I am more interested in the quote between LDL/HDL. From what I have seen lately, the quote should not be more than 4. I would currently then be on 2, which is supposed to be good. I have even read things like if you have an LDL = 6, HDL = 1.5 your TC would be 7.5 but still be healthy. It would be better to have that quote than to have LDL = 5 and HDL = 0.8. TC would be 5.8 (plus TG) but the quote would be much higher, 6.25.

I am not scared of fat any more :).

As for the blood pressure you mention, do you do a lot of exercise? I have been fortunate to always have 110-115/70, also before I started with any dieting. I really think that it is down to regular exercise in my case. I am running around 30km a week and my resting pulse is around 50-55. Where was your weight and what is it now; has the weight loss had no impact on the TG? I mentioned somewhere that I “lost” 50% of my TG when I did 4 months of calorie restriction. Just getting rid of the fat on my belly really seemed to do the trick for me… but I know that it may be a different case for others.

BRB…

I am 50 minutes into the clip :). Some reflections: I saw the French paradox being explained elsewhere by the protective components of red wine/grapes. I am not sure of the evidence behind that; it feels a bit light-weighted. I am really starting to be one over by the idea that the culprit is carbohydrates rather than fat.

What I am right now trying to summarise in my head is all the points that are actually in common across different theories… like: trans fats are bad for you; “quick carbohydrates” are bad for you; nuts are good; vegetables are good; try to avoid processed food etc. What I am thinking is that if you try to find these common components across the diets, probably you have a good baseline. Then if you get one of the other components wrong, you will probably be looking reasonably good anyway regardless of the diet you follow.

I really felt the push this week to start carving out carbohydrate-rich side dishes. I have started and I well see if I will cope. On “running days” I will probably eat some as it helps when exercising. I do eat fruit and will not stop that as I just like it, but I will try to stay away from or at least reduce my consumption of rice, pasta, potatoes etc. As for oils, I am almost only eating olive oil and len seed oil (rich in Omega-9 and Omega-3 respectively) now. I really hope that the Omega 3/Omega 6 ratio is more or less healthy…

USA, are you having a metabolic syndrome? I am wondering if your levels can be fully treated only by diet. That is obviously something that your doctor would know better than me. You and I seem to work the opposite way of each other with reversed values :):)

I think it is really interesting to listen to the final five minutes of this presentation… seems I can keep my fibre-rich oats for breakfast!!

tobias

the stars β˜…in this post will mean it is concerning uβ˜…

1st of all thanks!

not 1 dr ever said n’or did i know what

Metabolic syndrome was

Definition
    By Mayo Clinic staff

Metabolic syndrome is a cluster of conditions β€” increased blood pressure, a high blood sugar level, excess body fat around the waist and abnormal cholesterol levels β€” that occur together, increasing your risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes.

Having just one of these conditions doesn’t mean you have metabolic syndrome. However, any of these conditions increase your risk of serious disease. If more than one of these conditions occur in combination, your risk is even greater.

If you have metabolic syndrome or any of the components of metabolic syndrome, aggressive lifestyle changes can delay or even prevent the development of serious health problems.

my dad super skinny fit
    who was a runner
    mini marathons every other day 40 mile a day cycling every other day w/ 1 day off

increased blood pressure, and abnormal cholesterol levels, silent heart attacks
    congestive heart failure which is what killed
    him in the 80’s. he never stayed in bed he still walked & cycled running no longer helped him

as his dr said that if he transferred ur dads heart in2 his body he would die (my dad’s healthiness conformed his bad genes 2 live better)

he really believes that a love one that kept making him take vitamin e 4 the heart was toxic
    it turns out that the supplement vit e is very bad
    4 u especially the heart

concerning me
    now when i turned 50 everything changed no longer
    slim even though very active in swimming & outofboundtennis & dancewalking

as time went on i now do HIIT

but that’s not really that much help these days
    who knows the mystery of a woman’s body proably hormones flying all around πŸ™‚
    fastdays is what is helping
    truly helping in the health department

β˜…β˜…u r very lucky that u now will incorporate the 6/1 & the foods u eat 2 prevent a future mess β˜…β˜…

β˜…β˜…β˜…u really should do a 5nonfastdays mediterranean/1fastday/1feastday whatever u want
    due 2 the amount of exercises

β˜…β˜…β˜…however, please watch out!!
    most runners in the long run r not healthy. i have read the research & seen
    the hospital ward 4 heart problems all were thin & most were runners/ or extreme exercisers

again extremes

u know deep down that the crucial way of living is 2 balance allβ˜…β˜…β˜…

then i got the diabetes which no one in my family has it
    & as u correctly pointed out Metabolic syndrome πŸ™

the doc is happy w/ my weight loss & things r lowering concerning this cluster but still
    high

he does not believe in this fdl many don’t

he is more like a white coat mafia dispensing pills

so a little metformin & high blood pressure pills

& my goal is 2 get off all of that

concerning the vid which i will repeat 4 newbies

other parts of series

http://www.youtube.com/user/drjasonfung?feature=watch

the last 5 minutes ur right it was nice 2 find out that

the balance of certain foods basically the mediterranean

how the fat protects & covers that carb πŸ˜€

that was mind blowing!

the causes 4 diabetes

i drank that skim milk ate that lowfat
    4 many years even when slim
    most of 50yrs ++

i do know the lchf site which is super extreme

i think our bodies need a balance

β˜…β˜…concerning wineβ˜…β˜…

even the author of grain brain said

β˜…Q & A w/ author of grain brainβ˜…

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/%E2%98%85q-a-w-author-of-grain-brain%E2%98%85/

β˜…β˜…β˜…” I drink one or two glasses of wine each week, but statistically I should drink more. That’s a work in progress.”
    β˜…β˜…β˜…

β˜…may i know what u meant by πŸ™‚ ?
    “You and I seem to work the opposite way of each other with reversed values πŸ™‚ :)”β˜…

β˜…where did u c fruit bad 4 u?β˜…

ur conclusion r sound concerning ur body

& u r mindful on what 2 do

wish u continued healthy results

happy 5/1/1

keep posting

thanks again

usa

hey tobias

since ur a runner u might like this site

he is an athlete

however, he has some good research on the things we have talked about the low carb high carb running

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-fuel-a-marathon/#axzz2iliEO9lO

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-marathon-fuel-muscle-cramps-and-another-dr-oz-miracle/#axzz2ilmkoNAi

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-rules-for-becoming-an-ancestral-athlete/#axzz2ilkRSTm5

hope this helps

enjoy

Hi,

I hope I did not express myself inappropriately with those smileys… all I meant was, with a glimpse in the eye, that I had managed to mess up my IGF1 which is very good for you whereas you still try to get the other values down, something which had worked out well for me on this diet. I guess it shows how complex this thing is and how different we all are.

As for mediterranean food, besides the fact that I am not a fish lover (which is a shame), I do eat lots of nuts, grains, olive oil, hummus, tahini, vegetables… just love the stuff and it suits my semi-vegetarian life style. So hopefully I got that part right by chance πŸ™‚

As for the running, do not get me wrong: I am not taking things to extremes. I have 3 sessions a week which is considered moderate exercising, but I am pushing myself quite a bit during these sessions. I have also read quite many articles that elite sportsmen and -women actually are less healthy. Still, that normally does not “prevent” them from living long lives… so you are absolutely right: doing things moderately is the key to health and balance in life.

As for the fruit: some LCHF “extremists” would consider it bad for you because fruit equals carbohydrates. Now, to me that is to take things to extremes but who am I to judge. There is so much other good stuff in fruit (like fibre, vitamins and antioxidants). OK, you can get that via vegetables, one can argue but fruit is still tasty, gives lots of fluid and all in all are a good habit. So I think it is just too much when they speak about fruit as something bad. But I think it
    is great with the variety of views and diets today – there is something for everyone and I respect that for some people, LCHF has done miracles. So I am glad for them!

I regret to hear about your medical background. It is great that you are trying to solve/mitigate all the problems naturally. Medication tends to fix one problem and create another… I do not know about your view, but I tend to think that medication is great as a last resort. Some people have their genes “to thank for” all their problems and nothing they do seem to help that much. And then I guess it is great that there are drugs you can take. I guess that we all have embarked on a journey where we do not know the end station as this stuff with fasting is relatively new. But I have a background where 3 of my 4 grand parents had cancer (both of my grandmothers died from it and my grandfather on my father’s side had it as well, but survived it 3 times and died for other reasons last year, 91 years old). My parents are both suffering from high blood pressure, slight overweight et al but keep them at bay with medication, whereas I think in their case it is really down to life style. But in high-tech Sweden, such reasoning is doomed to fail. There is an “overbelief” in medication and technology in my view. My two brothers are both overweight and have problems with their knees etc because of that overweight. I just do want to avoid going down that road and hope I started this prevention work in time… but am aware that if my genes are so inclined, I may well end up in the same situation a number of years from now. So sometimes I am thinking that “what if I do all this in vain?”… but then once again, I have to remind myself of how much better the quality of life is here and now when you try to look after your body. It is worth it every step of the way really.

Good luck again with your health efforts! It is admirable that you work so hard for your health and I hope and think that you will get there in the end.

hi tobias

“I hope I did not express myself inappropriately with those smileys… ”

not @ all thanks 4 explaining sentence

i enjoy reading ur post

“now when you try to look after your body. It is worth it every step of the way really.”

that is exactly it

concerning fruit i agree

i was just asking if in the vid did i miss what he said about fruit? i know as a type2diab i have 2 watch the glycemic load

i mean the star halle berry & a friend of mine who is a model slim r type2diabs

she was on the pills & now has 2 take insulin

the type2diab is still a mystery but it is super scary!

this lifestyle has made me research write interact in this forum (which i never did πŸ™‚ )

the vegetarian way is also important

i do select days 4 that 2

my grama lived till 95 on eggs & bacon

& high blood pressure & would have lived longer if her child did not die

statins i refuse 2 take

especially what it did 2 my liver

went on niacin timed released & magnesium

based on my research where i made my own informed decision & dr saw how it wrecked my body

dr r not gods unfortunately πŸ™‚

now liver is pure fine πŸ˜€

hope u like that site/links
    happy 2 hear ur thoughts on that

after all he is a man & not an extremist he also does not believe in running but still gives advice he was a runner u will c why once u probe πŸ™‚

2day is fastday

happy 4/1/1

Hi USA,

I will check your link shortly, before I go running, haha. Running is my way of meditation… you cannot stop me from doing it πŸ™‚

As for fruit, that is something I read on this LCHF site I mentioned (www.kostdoktorn.se). So it was not from your clip.

There is definitely a lot more to longevity than just diet… I can just look at my grandfather, the one who died last year at the age of 91. He certainly did not live a perfect life from a diet point of view (and what I just said was an understatement) – but he was incredibly positive about life and surrounded by friends and family, and always had funny stories to share when we met. He lived life at its full to the final week of his life; he quickly recovered after his cancers earlier in his life, both physically and spiritually. I guess that conversely, the other side of this is also true: it is great to plan for the future, but you got to life your life now as well. I am trying to find that delicat balance; I have a tendency to care too much about my life 20 years from now (who knows how it will look anyway?!) and not enough about here and now. Definitely something I need to improve. I look at longevity as something meaningful only if you fill those years with something meaningful…

I have stayed away from bread, pasta, rice etc. during this week. I do have oats for breakfast. It is too early to draw any kinds of conclusions but my digestion is, should we say, a bit funny so far… guess I need to get used to it :). I am not sure I will manage this over time, but I am trying it to just to see what happens.

hi tobias

that’s why i gave these links he still talks 2 runners & how 2 b nutritious.

(caan’t 4get newbies)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-fuel-a-marathon/#axzz2iliEO9lO

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-marathon-fuel-muscle-cramps-and-another-dr-oz-miracle/#axzz2ilmkoNAi

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-rules-for-becoming-an-ancestral-athlete/#axzz2ilkRSTm5

i know how meditative it is & how guilty/or sadness/addictive mantra must run/u feel if u don’t run/life will fall apart

r u one of those elitist runners who looks down @

us normal people w/ sunken cheeks & looks like

the painting from edvard munch’s the scream πŸ™‚

http://www.npr.org/2012/05/02/151706441/scream-still-echoes-after-more-than-a-century

concerning fruits glad 2 know i’m not losing my memory

yes i subscribe 2 the diet doctor been reading it pur extreme but very interesting @ least i’m sure that is who u r talking about do not speak/read
    swedish

“I can just look at my grandfather, the one who died last year at the age of 91. He certainly did not live a perfect life from a diet point of view (and what I just said was an understatement) – but he was incredibly positive about life and surrounded by friends and family, and always had funny stories to share when we met. He lived life at its full to the final week of his life”

that positiveness is so important 2 πŸ˜€

“I do have oats for breakfast”

since u have olive oil/fat & none of that white stuff

remember it is covering & protecting u

“I have a tendency to care too much about my life 20 years from now”

good

however, now u know that now is important 2

again that balance πŸ˜€

happy 6/1

Hi,

Haha, I am not looking down on non-runners :). We are all different and find pleasure in different things.

What you say about balance is very true and I think it is the kind of topic you can bring up again and again and interpret in so many ways – still there is something new to consider.

I think I mentioned when you and I spoke in a different context that one of things I learnt while being on this diet is that health is not about pushing health indicators to extremes (as if we were competing against something?) but about finding a good and sustainable way to keep them all in a healthy range. Yes, there is something subjective to this of course as who knows what the recommendations will be 5 years from now, but as they say in the file you sent, cholesterol is absolutely necessary for survival and it is not that you should aim for zero cholesterol! Same goes for IGF1 – it is not about getting rid of it as it is absolutely needed for cellular life, but about keeping it “on the right side of the scale”. It is that overall picture we should strive for, not to be best in class in every subject. Another side of this is how difficult it is to find that balance. I was afraid of not getting enough protein and likely ended up boosting my IGF1 by having too much of it. Now I need to “push back gently” to find the balance again without causing another imbalance somewhere else.

I was also thinking about this cholesterol vs. fat thing today… I must say that the whole discussion is somewhat confused to me (which is probably because I do not know the topic well enough :)). It is just that when you propagate the LCHF kind of life style, I am wondering: is there anything truly new with it? Because what the problem with carbohydrates seem to boil down to is more about things like white bread, sugar and processed foods. Who ever said that these things would be good for you? Just because the recommendation for years was to avoid high fat foods, I do not see that anyone ever said that these “white carbs” are good for you. I think it is to oversimplify when someone says that the obesity problem today is down to incorrect recommendations about carbohydrates as a major source of energy for people. The problem is, in my view, mainly about the BAD kind of carbohydrates. The ability to quickly use sugar for energy may be absolutely life-saving as it enables us to quickly respond to any threat, but in our world today there are a) very few life-threatening situations of that sort and b) a surplus of this sugar that, if taken in excess, becomes harmful for us. Once again, that balance πŸ™‚

A moderate intake of “slow carbs” should probably not be a problem for us. Still, I am testing this “low carb” thing a little to see how it impacts my stomach. I often feel very bloated and I would like to see if having less rice, potatoes, bread etc. has any impact. It may well be a “false track” but if you never try, you will never know! I really found that part of your post about Michael Mosley, where he talks about self-experimenting, very funny. Still, I tend to look at the experimenting part of this as something slightly exaggerated – we live in a world where we have almost direct access to science and medication, and can check regularly if we want to what any dietary change impacts in our bodies. So the risk is relatively limited, I think.

That Swedish doctor is called “Andreas” something. Very Swedish; he speaks Swenglish just like I do :). I occasionally visit that forum and post and also learn from the people there. I also find it a bit extreme but I am certain that there is very thorough science behind it. He is definitely on to something and I think it is great with all the debate going on today, where years of recommendations now are being questioned. That is the way it should be – we should challenge our understanding of the world from time to time! There is lots of talking about 5:2 there too and the general conclusion seems to be that it is very possible to combine 5:2 and LCHF. I guess it makes sense since on a fasting day, you really need to cut down on your carbs to manage the daily calorie goal. At least I realised how much of your energy really comes from carbs every day… and the easiest thing for me to manage the 600 calories was just to cut out the carbohydrates from some of my typical meals.

Sunday today; one more day of normal eating and then Tuesday and fasting again :). I did one meal around lunch time last time to maximise the fasting period (2 times 16-18 hours of fasting over roughly 36 hours). It is still so odd to me… as you skip one fasting day, it feels like ages in between the fasting days. It is really much less of a life style as the experience is much less intense. I do not mean anything negative with this; I just need to get used to this new regime and check the result another year or so from now…

Hi,tobias

my answers will b interspersed through ur post w/ the symbol of balance πŸ˜€ ◐◑

Haha, I am not looking down on non-runners πŸ™‚ . We are all different and find pleasure in different things.

◐◑ nice 2 know u don’t have the sunken cheeks look◐◑

What you say about balance is very true and I think it is the kind of topic you can bring up again and again and interpret in so many ways – still there is something new to consider.

◐◑yes, the interpretation is more like not black & white but grey πŸ˜€ ◐◑

I think I mentioned when you and I spoke in a different context that one of things I learnt while being on this diet is that health is not about pushing health indicators to extremes (as if we were competing against something?)

◐◑ yes competing lol πŸ™‚ ◐◑

but about finding a good and sustainable way to keep them all in a healthy range. Yes, there is something subjective to this of course as who knows what the recommendations will be 5 years from now, but as they say in the file you sent, cholesterol is absolutely necessary for survival and it is not that you should aim for zero cholesterol!

◐◑that documentary really was the 1 one docu other than dr mosley’s
    that finally has made me feel @ peace & deep down i know it has clicked in my soul/brain
    really don’t care about 5yrs from now
    just care 4 the now only.
    i haven’t listened 2 the other parts of the series yet am looking 4ward 2 it◐◑

◐◑my conclusion will b the link b low & 1 day whatever i want mediterranean no sugar

Low-Carb Mediterranean Diet Cuts Diabetes Risk

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/low-carb-mediterranean-diet-cuts-diabetes-risk/

◐◑

Same goes for IGF1 – it is not about getting rid of it as it is absolutely needed for cellular life, but about keeping it β€œon the right side of the scale”. It is that overall picture we should strive for, not to be best in class in every subject. Another side of this is how difficult it is to find that balance. I was afraid of not getting enough protein and likely ended up boosting my IGF1 by having too much of it. Now I need to β€œpush back gently” to find the balance again without causing another imbalance somewhere else.

◐◑ the same thing happened 2 me listening 2 a dr giving me iron & calcium 2 take as a supplement & it caused a mess iron/calcium 2 high in blood ugh ◐◑

I was also thinking about this cholesterol vs. fat thing today… I must say that the whole discussion is somewhat confused to me (which is probably because I do not know the topic well enough πŸ™‚ ). It is just that when you propagate the LCHF kind of life style, I am wondering: is there anything truly new with it? Because what the problem with carbohydrates seem to boil down to is more about things like white bread, sugar and processed foods. Who ever said that these things would be good for you?

◐◑ well there i disagree, because i was the healthiest person in my family organic whole
    grain/oat/barley brown/wild/black rice sweet potatoes veggies allot of exercise. my family hated my food/lifestyle they would call me the flower child
    & i still gained weight briefly never white/◐◑

◐◑however, i did not have the olive oil the mediterranean way 2 protect my body πŸ˜€ ◐◑

◐◑i did the atkins religiously & lost all of it 25 lbs super quickly ◐◑

◐◑then i left atkins kept the weight down eating normally until the age of 50 diabetes & all those diseases & the weight went up
    it did not seem 2 matter◐◑

◐◑that when doritos croissants wholegrain bread
    carb high nonwhite life started because i no longer cared which is also dangerous luckily came across the fdl yay got me back in2 a nutritious way◐◑

Just because the recommendation for years was to avoid high fat foods, I do not see that anyone ever said that these β€œwhite carbs” are good for you. I think it is to oversimplify when someone says that the obesity problem today is down to incorrect recommendations about carbohydrates as a major source of energy for people. The problem is, in my view, mainly about the BAD kind of carbohydrates. The ability to quickly use sugar for energy may be absolutely life-saving as it enables us to quickly respond to any threat, but in our world today there are a) very few life-threatening situations of that sort and b) a surplus of this sugar that, if taken in excess, becomes harmful for us. Once again, that balance πŸ™‚

◐◑yep that balance◐◑

A moderate intake of β€œslow carbs” should probably not be a problem for us. Still, I am testing this β€œlow carb” thing a little to see how it impacts my stomach.

I often feel very bloated and I would like to see if having less rice, potatoes, bread etc. has any impact.

◐◑wow that is true the bloating it is no longer there πŸ™‚ )◐◑

It may well be a β€œfalse track” but if you never try, you will never know! I really found that part of your post about Michael Mosley, where he talks about self-experimenting, very funny. Still, I tend to look at the experimenting part of this as something slightly exaggerated – we live in a world where we have almost direct access to science and medication, and can check regularly if we want to what any dietary change impacts in our bodies. So the risk is relatively limited, I think.

That Swedish doctor is called β€œAndreas” something. Very Swedish; he speaks Swenglish just like I do πŸ™‚ . I occasionally visit that forum and post and also learn from the people there. I also find it a bit extreme but I am certain that there is very thorough science behind it. He is definitely on to something and I think it is great with all the debate going on today, where years of recommendations now are being questioned.

◐◑yes he is very extreme but interesting after a whole country sweden changed their minds don’t c that happening in the usa our country has some very powerful greedy people
    luckily if we read research so we can save ourselves. again i always keep 1 foot while researching anything◐◑

That is the way it should be – we should challenge our understanding of the world from time to time!

◐◑yes◐◑

There is lots of talking about 5:2 there too and the general conclusion seems to be that it is very possible to combine 5:2 and LCHF. I guess it makes sense since on a fasting day, you really need to cut down on your carbs to manage the daily calorie goal.

◐◑yes fastday is a locarb day unintended◐◑

At least I realised how much of your energy really comes from carbs every day… and the easiest thing for me to manage the 600 calories was just to cut out the carbohydrates from some of my typical meals.
    Sunday today; one more day of normal eating and then Tuesday and fasting again πŸ™‚

◐◑what do u eat on nonfastdays & fastdays?◐◑

. I did one meal around lunch time last time to maximise the fasting period (2 times 16-18 hours of fasting over roughly 36 hours). It is still so odd to me… as you skip one fasting day, it feels like ages in between the fasting days.

◐◑yes i’m doing atf or 4/3’s & now more than 7 months & fasting is still hard & super slow◐◑

It is really much less of a life style as the experience is much less intense. I do not mean anything negative with this; I just need to get used to this new regime and check the result another year or so from now…

◐◑personally like u it will always b 4ever as u said “I just need to get used to this new regime”◐◑

◐◑tell me more about ur family & ur goals? what do they think of ur 5/1/1?◐◑

enjoy ur 5/1/1’s πŸ˜€

Hello,

◐◑ well there i disagree, because i was the healthiest person in my family organic whole
    grain/oat/barley brown/wild/black rice sweet potatoes veggies allot of exercise. my family hated my food/lifestyle they would call me the flower child
    & i still gained weight briefly never white/◐◑

Sorry for over-simplifying and/or generalising. I am fully aware that some advice works for some and not for others, and that we all have different background. I meant this in a general way – I still believe that many diabetes cases would be avoided if people ate less sugar. That said, they do not need to do LCHF. I saw another clip today regarding LCHF and even our friend Andreas said that it is specifically the people with bad glucose or weight problems who may specifically benefit from the LCHF diet. Normal-weight people or those who do not have bad glucose could well eat some carbohydrates.

5/1/1 – I like that expression :). I do not know yet… I am trying to get a feeling for this. I kind of have to remind myself to do it now, haha. Before it was such a big part of my life and now after 6 days of eating, it feels like you start all over again somehow. But my body responds well and there is no difference in terms of hunger etc. It is really much easier to manage and sleeping is less of a problem. The calorie restriction is a piece of cake and I really enjoy it. I have not checked my weight since I started on 6:1 but I do not look bigger when I watch myself in the mirror.

USA, just for your info… I may disappear for a while soon as I am about to become a father for the second time (around Nov 20). I will still be on the diet πŸ™‚ and if I find some time to write, I will. I will of course try to write until then but just so you know. Good luck with your fasting and keep those white coats at bay πŸ˜‰

hi tobias

yippee nice 2 know u can have carbs πŸ™‚

so now u have 2 different 5/1/1’s

5 nonfastdays carbdays πŸ˜€ 1 fastday 1 nonfastday lowcarbday

or

5 nonfastdays lowcarbs 1 fastday 1 nonfastday carbday πŸ˜€

or intermittently between weeks/months 4 both πŸ˜€

woohoo a father u must b so proud!!!!!!!!!!

i guess u did not c my post in the reversal

i said i was going back 2 work in nov
    so i will no longer b answering quickly
    or posting research

i would luv a job like that πŸ˜€

i’m actually going 2 super miss it

i have never belonged 2 a forum or wrote in one

wish ur life allot of
    luv
    laughter
    great heath
    profitability
    & no hassles

take care
    usa

Hi USA,

thanks for your wishes and good luck at work :). I just realised that I only partially responded to what you asked. As for the family, it is just me, my girlfriend and my 4 year old daughter. The one “still in the oven” does not have any opinion yet :).

Actually, my GF also had some one week long fasting cures in the past so she was the one who started it rather than me. She is now into paleo which has really helped her, so our breakfast/dinner/supper table sometimes look a bit funny… and when I have a fasting day there is not much on it at all. She does have some comments about me drinking coffee on a fasting day etc. but I really think that it would just be too much if I could not have that. So we are both interested in the subject albeit in different ways and learn from and respect each other. Our daughter does not care at all πŸ™‚ – which is great. She seems totally uninterested in what we eat and why but insist on having her own favourites. These are generally good habits but she may eat a lot of meat occasionally, despite us not eating too much of it. We are just not making a fuss about it; we definitely do not want her to get any prefabricated ideas about what she should or should not eat as a 4 year old child. It is great that we can be different and that she seems to be “running her own race”.

My main focus is really the fasting day. I am just trying the low-carb approach for a short while to see how my tummy reacts. So far it is positive! But I do not see myself doing this for a very long time and I am not insisting on a low-carb day once per week or so. As long as I feel fine and full after a meal with less carbs, then I am happy with it. I am for instance concerned that I will not get enough fibres and minerals on such a diet over time. So I just want to see if there appears to be a correlation with my stomach and then possibly come back to this at a later stage, or do some low-carb dieting of some sort, like a couple of times per week.

hi tobias

i like ur diplomatic & caring respectful

way u & ur family eat foods w/ each other

“The one β€œstill in the oven” does not have any opinion yet πŸ™‚ .”

great sentence! lol

did u c part 4 of dr fung it is about fasting i still have not seen it he believes in it

The Aetiology of Obesity Part 4 of 6: The Fast Solution
    γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG89j432w-Y&list=TLySn0eCWlFY9knr1KIEVevZPrt664X1c0

yes fiber is important

so nonfastdays a mix of paleo/veg/mediterranean/lowcab/highcarb/fiberday

a salad of food philosophy

now coffee there has been allot of research the newest & the largest

have shown that it prevents cancer big time especially the 8 cuppers

so that is a good thing & how do we know what brews the cavemens came up w/

what holiday do u celebrate judeo/xmas/or is there a swedish one

that’s the best time 4 holidays when u have children

take care & hugs all around 2 ur little loving family

usa

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply.