from Jackie J
75g dried red lentils, rinsed
2 onions, peeled and left whole
3 red peppers, split and seeds out
fresh tomatoes about 5-6 med depending on size (mine were cherry toms and I used about 15)
2 chilli peppers (more or less or none!)
3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
6 carrots, peeled and sliced
spray or teaspoon max olive oil
2 pints chicken or veg stock
a sprig of fresh rosemary and 1 of thyme chopped or you could use fresh parsley instead but put that in at the end
- Put all veg in a baking tray spray with oil or drizzle a little on and mix to coat and roast in hot oven for about 45 mins until all is done. I didn’t need to cover mine but you don’t want the liquid to evaporate so you might need to after a while, or take it out before the carrots are quite done as I did.
- Simmer the lentils in a little water (just to cover) until tender.
- Add the stock, the herbs and the roasted veggies (I leave all skins on except for the garlic cloves ).
- Simmer together for 15-20 mins depending on how done your carrots were..
- Blend (I use a stick blender), and puree the soup until no lumps remain,
- Season with salt and pepper or soy sauce to taste.
Works out at around 149cals a big bowlful depending on how much oil (these cals are for 10ml oil) and is very satisfying. You can make it without the lentils for 109 cals per bowl. If you use spray oil its even less.