Well 9 months later…

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Well 9 months later…

This topic contains 40 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  tombaron 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 41 posts - 1 through 41 (of 41 total)

• I discovered 5:2 and 4:3 whilst backpacking Australia, Id just hit 27 and was about 87-90kg 5’11 (no access to scales at the beginning) I took a job helping run a hostel and settled down in Sydney for what would be two months because I was broke beyond broke. I decided to try get in shape being chronically overweight from the age of 19. Thankfully I stumbled across 5:2 whilst researching effective exercise.

So I quickly modified it to 4:3 and ate slightly more than 500kcal (about 700 on fast days) and incorporated heavy lifting into the regime after joining a very cheap Australian gym!, my Tdee was about 2300 from a very active lifestyle. The daily structure looked like this:

Eat days:
    8am Normal breakfast of porridge
    9am Work
    1pm lunch of boiled eggs and handful of cashew nuts+ banana
    5pm biggish dinner of chicken veg brown rice or pasta
    7pm walk 20 minutes to gym, one of four workouts, either back, chest, shoulders or legs
    9pm, sole protein snack of KFC or tandoori chicken

lots of green tea and water

Fast days:
    8am green tea
    9am work
    1pm lunch, espresso
    7pm light exercise of jogging or cross trainer in gym
    9pm small snack of boiled eggs + cashews + banana or equivalent

so I absolutely blasted off the weight, in two months I dropped to 78KG. After that period I moved and didn’t have the lifestyle to fast! However the weight stayed off due to lots of walking and less drinking. Ive picked back up at the now imperial 11st 13 after a bout of glandular fever and Ive revised my method to be more of a lifestyle to lose the last stone and a half.

Still going with 4:3 and walking regularily. Diet is similar though im not afraid to have the odd treat on a eat day. Ill commute by walking 2 miles on fast days and walk about 6 on eat days (4 miles for leisure after my last meal at 6pm)

Its been a week of 4:3 and down to 11st 9. More to come!

Ill add:
    Weekly routine looks like this:

Fast days: Sunday night 6:30- Monday eve 6pm Tuesday night “”-Wednesday eve “”
    Thurday night”” – Friday eve””
    7am black coffee.
    walk 1 mile to work
    11am~ black coffee
    5:30 walk home 1 mile
    6pm, medium sized healthyish dinner + apple.
    7:30~ small walk 1.5 miles or so

Eat days: Tuesday Thursday Saturday Sunday (and of course I can treat myself Friday night!)

7am coffee with milk and sugar (why not!) and banana.
    8am walk to work 1 mile
    11am, black coffee (maybe sugar if I feel like it)
    1pm~ lunch of brown bread sandwich
    5:30 walk home 1 mile
    6pm medium sized healthyish dinner with apple (sometimes ice cream for a treat)
    7:30 Long walk, 1-2.5 hours, I really love walking, I find it gives me time to think and I can refocus my direction in life. I walk by myself and don’t mind the odd stop off in a pub for a coke! (200 Kcal is fine on occasion, I refuse to punish myself dieting, its about lifestyle!)

Everyday I consume 6-8 glasses of water also.

Well done! Keep up the good work. I’ve done much yoyo-ing over the years. Baby weight on, off, on, off again and now on to the gremlin that’s been haunting me for years.

Walking is great and I do a lot because I don’t drive and have to take my daughter to nursery 3 days a week plus walking into town for shopping and then walking the dog. Annoyingly, I have a gym membership but can’t use it at the moment because of lack of childcare. Maybe once the summer performances at my daughter’s dance school are finished then I can start weekends again. The baby is a lot bigger now too, so no excuses there! I’m plucking up the courage to ask the hubby if I can change my membership to anytime instead of off peak so I can go during the week. He thinks I do nothing all day and that my retired father can help more with managing childcare… Little does he know how hard being a mum-of-two is!

Thanks! Do you own a pedometer? Worth a purchase to see how much ground you cover per day.

Update:

Final fast of the week begins now. Dinner just consumed, boiled egg, salad, low fat coleslaw beetroot a sausage and some salsa + an apple., 3 miles worth of walking this evening to a pool league and back, will have a diet coke to enjoy whilst I’m there too. Friday tomorrow so maybe a small pizza to break the 24 hour fast. you’ll never succeed if you can’t enjoy yourself occasionally without guilt.

No I don’t have a pedometer, perhaps it could help me. I think myfitnesspal has a thing on the iPhone app that does it. I vaguely remember it popping up anyway.

Pool league sounds fun, I can’t remember the last time I went to a pub! I’m not a drinker myself so I don’t mind all that much. Pizza sounds like a good fast-breaker. Even better if it’s homemade! I’ve recently discovered the joy of making everything myself and loving the bread based recipes.

Forgot to mention on the weekends I cover about 4 miles a day walking on errands anyway + with my modified 4:3 Im not so strict on 500kcal and rather fast 0kcal for a full 24 hours then eat till satisfied in the evening. Ive estimated at about ~4500cal down a week with rda but I walk 20miles+. Shedding water weight too currently from increasing intake so realistically aiming to lose 2lb/week

I had that app a while back, I think it does but murders battery! Home made is the way! Cuts out all the junk companies add to food.

Well 3 miles walking done, feeling so good! Fasting seems to increase my energy so much. Weight has been bouncing around as always, I don’t go above 11 11 and had dropped to 11 9 and 1/4 this morning. I weighed 12 7 8 weeks ago when I landed back in the UK and glandular fever has taken a toll, seemingly on muscle also. Last weigh in before re starting 4:3 was ~11 13. Should be interesting to track too. My waist is currently 34.5″ (started over 38 last year!) Looking to get about 31″ to be properly lean.

You’re doing a great job so far. Just takes time, much to many peoples’ annoyance! I’ve always been impatient with losing weight but this time I’m going to just take it slow and not get frustrated at any gains or plateaus. I only need to lose 7lbs to be in healthy BMI range and the rest is bonus. If I can manage another stone then great.

Are you doing the diet with anyone else? My husband is also doing it but not being very supportive and refuses to talk about food or strategies. Thank you Internet! Lol.

mamamoo: I’m going alone but wouldn’t try dieting with anyone anyway. You have an awsome attitude to this by the way! Best of luck, keep the pma (positive mental attitude) and you’ll smash that 6lbs and beyond. On pedometers I’ve just updated to a HTC One m8 and have an app called fitbit, you can log water consumption, your planned exercise and food, it does bmr and also logs how many miles you walk and adds it automatically to tdee. Pretty awsome for a free app. Doesn’t take into account fasting though.

Update:
    Coming to the end of a normal weekend, net down 1.5lbs from a week ago. I’ve timed my fasts for weekdays so I can enjoy normal food and even a cider on the weekend without being inhibited. Fasts for next

Update, first fast of the week today, ate well yesterday and walked normal distance (17k steps according to fitbit). Tdee was 3k and I came in at 2k eaten. No wonder I was losing weight without fasting! Stomach is getting flatter now noticably waist is 34.25 inches.I can’t see it being more than 12 weeks till I’m at target though the goal is 16. Weigh in tomorrow will tell all!

Update: weighed in this morning expecting to be round a solid 11 9 as I swing between 11 8.5 and 11 11 depending on time after a fast

11 7 recorded. I am having a good morning :D. Calculated my tdee at 3k with fitbit the last couple of days and they’ve been normal days, turns out I walk 6.5 miles a day lol.

I’ve calculated a 2.5k calorie deficit the last two days so I’m actually going to try eat tdee today because I can feel that primal real hunger urge and want a strict fast tomorrow.

got my progress blogged now!

https://tombaron.wordpress.com/

Ill add that the first photo I was about 1st heavier than when I first started fasting. I don’t know how heavy I was, I was too afraid to weigh in, over 14.5 though, that figure popped up on a scales a few weeks after I started dieting

Good eat day today, feeling great. 800cal down for the day and sugar in the coffee, more on the blog :p happy fasting.

Saw 11st 7 on the scales again today. Very pleased with that as it consolidates my 3lb weight loss and I’m slightly bloated this morn Waist is dead on 34″ too. Good times. It’s a food day too. Going to enjoy the day, try eat to tdee in preparation for fasting tomorrow so I can keep under 1k calories

Little break on the weekend but back on it now. Well under my fast day target of 1k kcal today and been on a little run too! Not too bad for 7 months out of practice

Oh wow! Just seen 11st 6, weighed out of sync too. Proper weigh in should be tomorrow!

Great progress! How long are you aiming to go on 4:3 for? Will you transition to 5:2 at some point?

I’m probably going to do a 4:3 week this week as will probably eat above my TDEE this weekend but ultimately I think I’ll best manage 5:2 due to my lack of self discipline.

Am following your blog too, I’ve just started mine for tracking too!

http://thepaleohybrid.wordpress.com

Funnily enough I find 4:3 easier because even if you’ve gone crazy on the weekend you’ll still be net down on calories for the week! I stick or have been trying to stick to a more lenient 1k kcal fast but come third fast day I’m net down about 8k anyway, love your blog layout, so neat and organised! Will keep up to date on it.

Thanks @tombaron ! Yes, that all makes sense, I will add in 4:3 weeks here & there depending on how extravagant I’m being on my non-fast days..!

Smashed 15 miles on a bike today! Fasted under 1k cals too and walked 4 miles or so. Pretty tired now will sleep well tonight.

I think I would lose all that weight with that much exercise, even without dieting!

9 mile cycle yesterday and half fast today, more lenient on a Friday because I train and diet hard the rest of the week, fasted 24 hours, walked 5 miles had a low carb dinner, couple of glasses of red and a couple of brandys and diet coke. All in on the half fast day for about 1300kcal that’ll be burned tomorrow cycling 15 miles all is good bar a little tipsy!

And Mark my words ill be 11 4 by Tuesday!

Late day weigh in on an eat day and I’m 11 st 6! I can fully expect to be below that when I weigh in properly next, just cycled 9 miles and I’m Sat in the waypoint, a little pub, having a lemonade and a relax before blasting it back. Absolutely in love with cycling, could cycle all day every day if I was fit enough!

11st 4 today!!! Cant say that Im trying too hard, could keep this lifestyle up forever, especially the exercise. Ran a little 2.5 miles last night, will walk 7 miles tonight and attempt to cycle 20 miles tomorrow its the perfect unwind from work. Expecting to hit 11st 0 by the end of the month but it may be sooner, cant believe I started 5 weeks ago at 11st 13.

Amazing results! Whatever you are doing keep it up!

Worked out that ive lost 1/4 of my bodyweight over 19 months. Current bodyfat is about 18-20% Fasting today too, 18 hours in currently and feeling good!

Amazing @tombaron ! You are doing great! What’s your goal weight? When you get there are you going to alter your regime? I’m fasting today too, already dreaming of breakfast πŸ˜‰

I’m going a bit crazy today :p forgot how many weeks I’ve been fasting, week 4 this week though! My goal is 10 stone and 13-15% body fat. I’m aiming at 9-11 weeks for that goal. After that it’s 5:2 and packing muscle, I have a well researched idea to integrate 5:2 into bulking up and it might yeild big results πŸ˜€ how are you getting on Lucy?

Great! I would also like to build muscle too at some point (am tempted to try crossfit once I save up the money!) but just focussing on this for now. As for today, the hunger wasn’t that bad really, I think I’m getting into the swing of things now!

One goal at a time :p glad you’re getting used to it! You show a great attitude and motivation, I’m sure you’ll achieve your goals.

Wow seen you blog well done you keep it up!!!

Thanks πŸ˜€ latest before and after coming up soon, put up a better before photo of pre anything weight but like always I’m out walking, so can’t take after photo yet

Ladies and gentlemen, my latest before and after with current photo is up!It’s on my blog in the first post!

Do you think once you reach your goal weight you would carry on with a 5:2 lifestyle?

Yup, 18lbs to go though and just considering the steps after now but I will bulk up a bit and eat at a calorie surplus whilst 5:2ing in an attempt to “clean bulk” ie put on muscle with minimum fat gain, then just 5:2 and eat at tdee to maintain.
    Mainly because without fasting I can’t control my eating and appetite.

Shanilay,

Reached mine in April and shifted to the 6:1 and plan to stay on it indefinitely. One day of fasting to maintain it a small price to pay:)

Congrats @tombaron you are doing great! How is your quitting smoking coming along? (I read that article you posted, I wonder why if that is why a lot of my fat distribution is around the abdominal area… though I think I am genetically predisposed to deposit there too!!)

I have not managed to man up enough to make a sustained quit! I am not one to lack motivation but smoking is my arch enemy and as a 25+ smoker (+S) I suffer horribly with withdrawl. Will man up soon!

Final fast of the week today, I increased my calorie intake yesterday and rested (well an evening 2 mile walk plus 4 miles in the day) because I felt dieters fatigue.

My waistline has noticeably reduced this week, whether its from expelled water from adipose tissue following th ere-feed or something else, I don’t know. I have the marbled, very loose fat which is a good sign apparently. Belly fat is normally the last bit to lose weight from as a male. Secondly I feel very energised today, almost restless, and im now 16 hours fasted. I guess my battered muscles needed some more fuel and a bit of a break!

Viewing 41 posts - 1 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply.