Wegner's Granulomatosis, diabetes and fasting

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
Wegner's Granulomatosis, diabetes and fasting

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ingemlb 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Hi. I have recently been diagnosed with Wegener’s Granulomatosis ( a type of Vasculitis) and put on Prednisolone. Not sure how long I will need to stay on that. i also take Methotrexate. The Prednisolone induced diabetes so I am also on Insulin. I have a number of stomach ulcers and bowel issues so I am trying to figure out if there is a safe way to fast.
    I need to take my insulin with breakfast and my prednisolone with lunch. When I need pain meds I shouldn’t really take them on an empty stomach either.
    I am very worried about putting on even more weight on the Prednisolone. I had tried to start the Fast diet several times last year but we had a very traumatic and hectic year and I kept getting ill so had to postpone it.
    But now I am in this pickle.
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated 🙁 Inge.

Hi Inge, I’m so sorry that you have so many issues to deal with. I understand your worry about the Prednislone and weight gain. many of us save all our calories for one meal a day. I think, however, that you will need to spread yours out. With the diabetes, you need to eat regularly. I would concentrate on small meals with protein, limit your carbs on fast days especially. just a few bites of something will help protect your stomach from the meds and acid, plus keep your blood sugars more stable with the insulin.

I’m sorry that it took so long to answer, I have been off line for a bit. now I’m not a medical expert, so it would be a great idea to check in with your doctor before fasting, but I do think you could do it. good luck and let us know what you decide and how you get on. Phyllis

thank you Phyllis. It took a while to get out of hospital and the last 2 weeks I have been trying to get used to all the routines by myself so have not had any further ideas on how to get into the fasting. I will wait until a few of my medical appointments are behind me and I discover if the Prednisolone is a temporary aberration and I can slowly withdraw from it. If that happens my diabetes may be reversed and then fasting will be a lot easier.

Thanks for your help. I will check back after I know what’s going to happen. Inge.

p.s strange but I never received a follow up email with your reply even though the box was ticked.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.