week 1 – weight GAIN

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
week 1 – weight GAIN

This topic contains 21 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Amazon 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

• It’s my first week but I would have liked to have at least not put 1.5lbs ON – I feel very down about it and feel like it’s not going to work for me.
    Please can someone reassure me that it will work if I stick at it? I kno the maths/science point to it being impossible to fail but frankly I have lost faith in all that
    Argh!

How was your eating on your feed days?
    The only thing I can think of is you have consumed more calories than you have expended over the whole week.
    I have only started yesterday so only on fast day 2. So Im not much help

” kno the maths/science point to it being impossible to fail ”

Hello, weight loss is not always a predictable process. Weight is influenced by eating larger volumes of food (and therefore retaining it somewhere in your digestive/elimination system), water fluctuations, electrolyte shifts, post-exercise muscle inflammation and water retention, salt and water retention, fluctuations in the amount of bacteria in your gut, menstrual cycles (if applicable) etc. etc.

If you could share some of the numbers that you calculated in line with the maths part of 5:2 (e.g., your TDEE – and (say) an MFP estimate of how much food and kcals you ate on your fast days and non-fat days) then it might be possible for people to check them and reassure you that rather than it being a true, over-consumption, related gain, it’s probable that it’s one of the above and will sort itself out over the next few days.

Hang in there. Weight loss is not a linear concept. You’re essentially shifting your system into a new regime. The body’s reaction will not correlate 1:1. Over time, it will.

My wife had the same issue with not losing weight – even the first few days! I told her to give it two weeks before she quit to allow the body to adjust and reset. Sure enough, after two weeks, the weight started declining. Even then, however, it did not come off constantly. She would hit plateaus where nothing would happen or she might even gain a pound or two. But when she stuck with it, the weight continued. I was confident in telling her this because I had started 5:2 about two months ahead of her and was simply telling her what I was experiencing. In fact, I hit a plateau that lasted nearly a month! Then the weight started to drop quickly.

The key is to stick to the diet (and the ratio of 5:2 makes it doable!). I’m proud to say that I’ve been on FD for 2.5 years with a total loss of 35 pounds – the first 30 in the first year, then I went into maintenance mode for the next year. The last 5 came off over the past six months and I wanted to do it just to be a bit more in the mid-range comfortably in the “normal” end of the BMI scale. My wife has had similar success (although she didn’t need to lose as much as me). She’s down 20 pounds and maintaining it nicely!

BTW – we’re both middle aged (think around 50ish) so even with slowing metabolism and less exercise than we should, intermittent fasting has been awesome for us. Good luck and stick to it!

Thanks nicci and ssure – I was very down this morning after my weigh-in. I am certain I haven’t over-eaten the rest of the time I guess it’s something to do with the shock to the system of NOT overeating for a whole week!
    I will stick to it this week – but will be back for a rant next week if the same thing happens!
    Heading off for a carrot.
    B

Thank you fastjim – it was a bit of a shock to gain weight – I guess my poor beleaguered metabolism is fighting but – but I will win!!!

Hi Batliner
    I am not very experienced at the 5/2 but I do know that any weight gain is very demotivating for anyone, let alone on week one.
    When doing something to help ourselves we all need to see the results and feel the buzz of satisfaction from our efforts ASAP but I would give it a month no matter what so that you can say I gave it my best shot before you throw the towel in.
    In 2012 in did 5 weeks of 5/2 and lost 14lb and this time so far I’ve done 5 weeks and lost 7lb, weird because to the best of my knowledge I’m not doing anything differently this time round, dont get me wrong I’m still pleased with the results but I liked the 2012 results better :-).
    I plan to stay on 5/2 up until Christmas at least as feel its not a sprint its at least a middle distance race if not a marathon.
    Its not just a matter of losing weight for me I like the idea of the body going into repair mode on fast days and have read some people’s posts of fantastic results in this department I would love to experience too.
    So at Christmas it will be 17 or 18 weeks of 5/2 for me and I’m going to give it my absolute best shot to stay that distance ( minimum) by which time I can look back and assess my personal experience of 5/2 having given it a decent chance.
    I hope come January 2015 we are both still posting on this site as 5/2 has become a way of life but one step at a time for me and let’s see what that leads me to.
    Good luck and I really hope you have a fantastic result in week two.
    John

I have done a week if FD n haven’t seen any change on scales. I weighed after the 1st fast day of week two. So disheartening n doubtful

Hi gay and welcome:

If you are doing 5:2 correctly, no problem. You don’t always lose weight every week: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/ #2

Good Luck!

This is just What I would do if in the first couple of weeks I wasn’t losing weight, I must state this is just my opinion and not of any more value than that.
    I would on non fast days make sure I ate no less than 1700 cals and no more than 1800 just to see if I was over or under eating on these days, I have noticed I get less weight loss on the weeks when I try to hard on non fast days to be to restrictive, obviously the other extreme of over eating wouldn’t be great either.
    As said just my opinion but sometimes the harder we try the further we push things away in life, might be worth a try

Thank you all so much for your replies – I know I’m impatient and wanted immediate affirmation that it’s working. Nothing in life is that simple, right?!
    I will be sticking with it as, apart from anything else, I feel it’s a Good Thing to do health-wise.
    So, watch this space and I will share my awesome achievements soon!
    Thank you
    B

This is just my second fast day and finding it not too bad just wanted to know if we are allowed gum or sugar free mints because I have a horrid taste in my mouth any tips would be most welcome. Thanks

Hi catriona:

5:2 is calorie based, not food based. You can have any food you want as long as you stay, on average, within your caloric guidelines. This might help: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

OK – 2 weeks in the there is progress! I’m finally BELOW my starting weight so I am happy. Kind of. Would prefer instant results of course but I’m keeping it real and just plodding along, secure in the belief that it’s working!

Congrats BL! Keep at it and as your body adjusts (and actually welcomes fast days!), the weigh loss will follow. Great thing about this diet is that it really can be a permanent life changer. Keep up the dedication. It will pay off!

OK – have now done a few more days now and it’s slowly beginning to work. I think. Going down in fractions of a pound – but it’s going in the right direction 🙂
    It’s not easy, is it.

Good to read that you’re seeing a steady decline, Batliner. 🙂

No, not easy, but effective when we keep at it.

Good Luck!

OK – it’s not linear, there are ups and downs. Plateaus etc.
    But I have put weight on again – over 2lbs in a couple of days. Feel deceived by the accepted view that this is the one diet which will get you there.
    Hand on heart I haven’t over-eaten so no weight loss would be acceptable. I just feel like an idiot now for continuing to make myself miserable on the fasting days.
    However, being someone who is optimistic to the point of self-delusion I will continue…

If you don’t mind me asking, do you have much weight to lose?

I don’t believe it is possible to accurately track weight going down in fractions of a pound. Two glasses of water weigh almost a pound, and the amount of food in transit in your body will vary from day to day depending on what you eat.

I am the most impatient person I’ve ever met, and wanted immediate results, but you don’t always get what you want, but this way of eating works. It isn’t a quick fix though.

I have a few suggestions that might help,

Keep off the scales, and weigh no more than once a week. Pick a day and stick to it. If you can keep off the scales for 2 weeks do so until you start to see movement in the right direction.
    Double check your calculations and make sure you haven’t over estimated your TDEE, and take a look at what you are eating. Cut right down on the carbs and sugar.
    Don’t give up!

I agree with Amazon, in my first month I couldn’t see any movement but when it hit the 4/5 week mark it did drop. I have now reduced my weigh ins so I don’t get disappointed. My aim is to reduce it so I only weigh in once a month. Stick with it a bit longer and yes it maybe an idea to check your bmr and tdee. You may need to work it out on a lower activity level and keep your intake under your tdee. Don’t give up yet.

Thanks everyone – I am impatient I know and in truth I feel like it is working albeit slowly… I have about 8 more lbs to lose I think to get me to a previous weight I was happy with. I am also going to do measurements rather than weight as I think what counts as much as the weight is how you feel in clothes. I have read that you should weigh-in often as then you can track the changes – rather than weigh in once a week/month and risk hitting a bad day and thinking the whole month has been one long gain.
    A lot boils down to attitude of course: I have read a great book about ‘how to diet’ by someone called Beck (The Beck Diet Solution) it’s a CBT approach to losing weight and it’s all about how to stick with dieting, keeping your goals in mind, that sort of thing. Also about how being hungry in itself doesn’t matter.
    Advert over!
    Carrots ahoy.
    x

What is the point in tracking day to day fluctuations in weight due to food transit, whether you are well hydrated or not etc. It sounds like a recipe for disappointment to me. You say you want to lose 8lbs, but do you need to, and is that a sustainable weight? Maybe that is why you are having problems losing anything.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply.