Too much weight loss and calorie restriction

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Too much weight loss and calorie restriction

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  onlinepillmart 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hello All. I’m new to the 5:2 and the forum. I wanted some advice for me (and him indoors) Neither of us are carrying any extra weight. He is 5’11” and was 75kg but is now 72kg. I am 5’7″ and 55kg. My husband is trying to fast 6:1 but is losing weight as you can see. I have been much thinner than I am now but looked skeletal and it’s not something I want again. Really we want the health benefits but not the weight loss. My thoughts, after reading the book, are that we are probably best to fast overnight until approx 11 am but then resume a normal diet for the rest of the day. We’d get the fast period and fewer calories as we break the fast with porridge at 11am then eat a normal tea. We both eat a healthy diet and exercise fairly regularly. (He’s much more regular at it than I am!)I guess I’m looking for reassurance that this is the right thing to do! Your thoughts are welcome.

Hi Milesy,

A lot of queries slip through the cracks here so I am chipping in with my unqualified take on your query. 6:1 would mean eating about 500 cals on the fast day for women and 600 for men.
    I am no expert just a member here, however what came to mind when I read your post was that you could possibly up your calorie intake on your other 6 days with healthy fats, which are now shown to be actually good for you and have many health benefits in fact. Not sure if you are my generation but those of us who listened to the previous decades advice got misdirected. Many of my friends who are underweight or struggling not to lose weight are on still on low fat diets. And what is a healthy diet is still under debate, changing rapidly.

There’s a link around here somewhere to Michael Moseley’s article on fats and the newer research and advice that recommends fats as healthy and necessary. Because they are calorically dense, they help to gain weight when you need to…so you can pour organic extra virgin olive oil on veggies or fry in unrefined cold pressed coconut oil in good conscience and it is very very good for you.

I have broth on fast days and add in organic coconut oil, which is very satisfying and very healthy and I still come in well under my 500 cals, and use organic extra virgin oil on salads, not for cooking.

As said, I am not a medical person or expert.

Best wishes to you and your partner. 🙂

Hiya Milesey,

I think your plan sounds fine. It is the length of the fasting period that delivers most of the health benefits, so the longer you can fast (genuine ‘no-calorie-intake’ fast) the better once or twice a week. Once you’ve done your 14 or 16 hours of overnight fasting you could eat as normal for the rest of the day (and week if you only do a fast once a week).

You are starting out at the ‘maintenence point’ so there’s no need for you to calorie restrict on your ‘fastdays’ you just need to maintain a genuine ‘fasting period’ of 14-16 hours once or twice a week and eat totally normally the rest of the time.

Let us know how you get on wont you? So few people report back on their struggles at the maintenance point and we’ll all be there too one day, so it’d be nice to get some ideas of what works.

Matirka and TraceyJ,
    Many thanks for your responses.
    I’m not sure adding extra calories on non-fasting days is do-able but many thanks for your thoughts. Eating extra when we don’t want nor need seems counter-intuitive and having been underweight I know how trying to eat more than you want can be miserable.
    TracyJ we will let you know how we get on but I’m hoping that no change is BMI is good and all positives will be in the unseen health benefits and how we feel. Looking forward to reporting back!
    Cheers x

Milesy, I agree with Matrika about the low fat myth.
    Simple things like using full fat milk and yogurt can add an appreciable number of calories without making you feel fuller. You need to find a way to ensure that you are eating to your TDEE every day, which means on the days you don’t eat until after 11 you need calorie dense food eg nuts, dried fruit which you could add to your porage.

Good luck.

To lose one pound, a person must burn 3,500 calories more than are consumed (500 calories per day over the course of a weekTo lose one pound, a person must burn 3,500 calories more than are consumed (500 calories per day over the course of a week).

To lose weight you should have to do

• 30 minutes walk in day
    • Drink 4 liter water in a day
    • Eat healthy food.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.