Thoughts one month in…

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tramcaur 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hi everyone! Well I have been dieting for 31 days now so I can share my experience. Disillusioned by the failure of New Year’s Resolutions I came across an article on setting ‘objectives’ as an alternative. Number two (after addressing debt!) was lose 10kg. So, on 6th Jan I started with the NHS Choices webpages. These told me that my BMI was 29.1.
    I am female, early 50s but unusual in that I am mainly in bed on an oxygenator due to neurological problems as a result of severe head injuries in my 20s. This lowered my daily max calories to 1200 (usu. 1400 for a woman).
    Luckily in the first week I also came across Michael and his FAST system and added that to the mix – two fast days max 500 cals usu Mon & Tues. The exercise regime is great too – though I have started slowly there.
    I record calories on an Excel spreadsheet each day and weigh myself once a week. I ought to say that I do not beat myself up on the actual calories per day limit – my weekly averages have been 1184/933/1351/1017 (the joys of Excel!)
    This is the first time that I have ever dieted/counted calories -looking back my BMIs were 19.8 aged 21, 21.5 aged 32 and only leapt up since my health problems made me inactive from age 40. (It took the dear NHS a decade to diagnose the breathing problems by wiring me up to measure blood oxygen – far cheaper than endless MRI scans – and I just fell asleep all the time hence low activity and weight gain.)
    As a scientist with time on my hands this is something of a fun project! But it does concern me that many here come over as implicitly hostile to their minds/bodies and this seems to hinder the weight loss/exercise process. Because I am aware of what obstacles my brain is tackling everyday to enable me to do what I want to do I want to understand what it is up against and help rather than hinder. Our brains (the sub-conscious part that runs the show not the lippy thinking part!) are truly amazing. I took mine for granted until sustained severe head injuries, coma, ataxia, depression. Then when I became pregnant years later I was suddenly its handmaiden in the great task of growing a new human being! Brain/body and conscious mind – we are all in this together and need to support each other.
    All the best!

Hi Caroline64, Thanks for writing in. I am on week 3 (going into 4 tomorrow) and I am finding the 5:2 regime a complete eye opener.

I am male, 69 years of age and apart from a bit of gardening, a couch potato.
    Up until I took early retirement at 50, I did a fairly physically demanding job but after retirement the weight just piled on and now, after one heart attack and 2 new knees, if I do not lose at least 60kg, I could end up bed ridden or worse.

I have tried other diets before but they were strictly calorie controlled and I ended up fixated by the bathroom scales. So this time as little calorie counting as possible and I will only get weighed once every 6 months when I attend my diabetic clinic.

It is to the other benefits of the 5:2 regime that I will be looking too to decide how well I am doing, like sleeping better, clothes fitting better and just feeling better.
    The other more documented measures I will take as a bonus.

I wish you every success and look forward to reading more from you in the future.

Good to hear from you Tramcaur! You do have a challenge there – it can do no harm to try the relaxed approach rather than the OCD one – but do not lose sight of what your brain/body is up against and be kind to this vital part of ‘you’…
    All the best!

Thanks Caroline, I have no doubt that later it will become harder to lose the weight and then I’ll be fighting for every ounce, but just now it is just a matter of cutting down the eating and really, for me, the effects of the Fast Days just run over into the non fast days and everything is almost automatic.

The 5:2 is thee most relaxed diet I have ever tried. It is almost not a diet but just a way of living.
    A good and healthy way of living.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.