The Basics for Newbies – Your Questions Answered!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
The Basics for Newbies – Your Questions Answered!

This topic contains 537 replies, has 177 voices, and was last updated by  Kay-50kg.goal 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 546 total)

• janda:

Good Luck!

I have stumbled into 5:2 diet (first fast day yesterday) after reading about its supposed health benefits. My BMI is in the normal range (23) and I’m probably in the small minority here who has never been on a calorie controlled diet in my life – so it’s quite a shock.

Having read the book and some web pages it has been quite an eye opener. Firstly, that despite being a healthy weight, my waist line is appalling (book says this is a better indicator of future health than BMI – true?).

Also, my TDEE is supposed to be a paltry 1387 – so 500 calories on fast days is going to be making a very small, slow impact, right? Not a problem, just want to be realistic, as I really want to do this as a WOL rather than short term. I really want to improve my waist line more than lose anywhere else (I guess this is unrealistic tho?).

I’ve no idea what my normal calorie consumption is – (my weight has slowly but steadily risen since I was a teenager – I’m now 45) but still in BMI normal range so I assume I have been eating more than I need most of my life? This does seem to tally with the idea that it’s what we do long term, habitually that makes the difference.

Finally question then, I’m a bit confused about the 5:2 messaging, on one hand it’s eat what you want on five days and on the other stay within you TDEE. Having begun for the first time ever to look at the calories of everything for fast days, I had no idea how high most things are, it’s made me panic about how much I must consume over and above my TDEE on a normal day.

Hi @astumbler

First thing I’d say is: Don’t panic! I applaud your plan to make this a WOL, rather than looking for a quick fix. Well done on completing your first FD (fast day): it sounds like it has prompted a lot of questioning about how/what you eat.

Your final question pops up frequently and people have different ways of approaching their non FDs. Some are clear they don’t want to count calories. Quite often they, unlike you, are ‘refugees’ from years of calorie controlling — and feel it would be continuing a failed, punitive habit to count calories all the time. Others find calorie counting a useful structure, to ensure they are not sabotaging their fast days. I am more in the first group, with an occasional calorie monitoring day. What many people report on here; and what Michael, in the book, mentions as his own experience, is that their choice of food, as well as portion size, begins to recalibrate itself towards fewer refined carbs, more vegetables etc.

The ethos of non FDs is: ‘Eat what you want’ – in terms of types of food, NOT in quantity. From how you describe yourself, would it be an idea to count calories most days, at least for the first month or two, so that you gain an idea of eating up to (or around) your TDEE on non FDs? As we are all human 😉 I would advocate allowing yourself an occasional ‘free’ day, so that you don’t feel trapped. The likelihood is that after that time you will have gained a general idea of what it suits you to eat, while remaining within your TDEE.

Re waist measurement: my understanding is that yes, it is the current scientific thinking, although I can’t point you to the precise literature on the topic. Quite a few people on this forum report that, even though the scales don’t show a great weight loss, the tape measure does – so do keep an eye on both and keep entering the figures into ‘your tracker’, as that will recalculate your TDEE as you change. By the way, there is a thread on this forum entitled ‘If the scales are the same but your clothes are looser …’ which you might wish to check out.

I hope this is helpful – all the best.

Correction to above, the thread is called: “If your clothes are looser but the scales stay the same”! Same difference!!

@janda77 Wishing you good luck! It sounds to me as though you have hit on a good way of motivating yourself ie keeping focused on the health benefits rather than solely on weight loss, especially if, as you say, you might get disheartened if you don’t lose weight as quickly as you hope.

Hi astumbler and welcome:

Given your TDEE, you will lose quite slowly on 5:2. Number four, in the main post, will explain. There is no way to predict where you will lose the fat first, but if you keep going the fat you want to lose will go. Also, people that are maintaining report their bodies continue to change for the better even though they are no longer losing weight.

If you have been gaining weight, however slowly, you have been eating more than you need. Most people are astonished at how few calories their bodies really need to both be healthy and keep going.

Bootsy is correct in saying you can eat any type of foods you want, but you can’t eat as much of them as you want if you want to maintain or lose weight. It is eye opening when you actually start adding up the number of calories in the foods you eat. That it why for most people it is important to count calories on their two diet days. It starts to give them an idea of how many calories they are eating on their non diet days, too. So even if they are not counting on their non diet days, they start to become aware of the food and portion choices they are making.

Good Luck!

Thanks Bootsy Badger and Simcoeluv for your welcome. I’m more buoyed by the potential of a change in shape/decreasing waistline more than any weight loss. If I have lost a few pounds in the past it seems to have come off my face and made me look a bit gaunt which I don’t need at my age.

I did sign on to a calorie counter site and seems I consumed just over 1700 calories today, I have probably been a bit more conscious about what I have been eating too, so my guess is I am rarely, if ever, am within my TDEE limits.

However, for now I’m just going to focus on the fast days and sticking to them and hopefully as others have said better eating outside these will fall into place from there.

Hi:

Many newbies know little about fasting. This article from the March, 2012, issue of Harper’s is very well written, gives a nice history of fasting and some research results current as of the time the article was written. It also chronicles the author’s experience with a longer term fast. It is well worth the time to read: http://charleycropley.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/FASTING-ART-Harpers.pdf

thanks so much for the comment re insomnia, been on the diet for nearly three weeks, but I dont think ive slept more than about three hours a day, usually from exhaustion around5 am. And not lost a pound.

Started well this week, but hubby was away yesterday, got a large veggie pizza and a bottle of fizz. Ate two thirds, a zillion calories and I have felt like death for the past 24 hours. Meant today was an unplanned fast day.

So, its been a real kick up the pants, still feel awful. Determined though to forgive myself and to spend the nights reading – a book a night when i dont just get up and work.

And to ditch anything processed. Life is too short to be knocked down by a stupid pizza!!!

I think I was reacting to lack of sleep and despondency re lack of weight loss.

But weighed myself tonight, lost a kilogram!!! I think the angel on my shoulder decided to pick me up!!

Hi milena and welcome:

It is hard to read a lot of posts that say a whole bunch of weight has been lost in a short period of time and feel good about your diet when you are not losing at that rate (or at all). I sometimes think the most successful people on 5:2 are those that start out slowly but keep with it. The fast losers soon find their rate of loss slows down to a crawl and then quit. The ones that stick with it after a slow start find that a year later they are down 50 pounds. You might check out Number 2 in the post to get a feel for a slow start.

Just continue to concentrate on doing your two diet days each week correctly (500 cal. or less) and I believe you will do just fine and be very happy a few months from now.

Good Luck!

Help please,
    I’ve been following 5:2 (or thought I was) for 2 weeks. I’m not doing it primarily to achieve great weight gain – I’m 1lb over my ideal weight. However, I suspect I may have visceral fat and want to eliminate it, and gain the other health benefits associated with 5:2.
    My question is this – my TDEE is only 1420 so on my fast days should I only be consuming 355 calories?? I’ve been swanning along quite happily on 500 but now wonder (after reading parts of this forum) if I’m “doing it right”. I also want to continue with 2 fast days but maintain my current weight – is it reasonable to increase my calorie intake on feast days and continue fasting 2 days per week. (I also read that reducing the number of fast days can reduce the health benefits accordingly???
    Much confused and apologetic if these are stupid questions….

Jakeinthebox
    Your questions are not stupid, and I hope I’m not the only one to respond.
    The 500-600 calories are there if you want them. You don’t have to consume they are your choice.

I feel the best thing I can do , and is just a personal opinion. I have 3 fast days a week usually. On the other 4 feed days I am vigilant about completing HIIT exercise. Jumprope is my choice. Of exercise due it’s low cost and availability to practiced just about everywhere. I’m hopefull this is my best approach for keep visceral fat from getting worse until I can my total body fat ratio down to healthy levels. I jump after my last meal on feed days. When I started I could only jump for 30 seconds before running out breath. I would then do jumping jacks at slower pace. After 1 year of trying to increase my stamina for jumperope I can go for ten minutes. That’s only about 160×4 calories so my opinion is the biggest factor in my weightloss is from the calorie restriction on the 2-3 days of fasting per week.

Milena
    Yes it’s my experience that it slows. I keep on with it. Slowly improving my food choices on the feed days.
    However week by week is my personal approach. I’m slowly adding exercise too. At first it was very little, just walking and stability ball, but have improved my health and have become much more active. The fasting is just 1 part of my overall agenda.

Samm and Milena, thanks for your replies. I confess to being bone idle – I do very little exercise and I work at a mainly desk job. But I just can’t seem to get motivated at all. I do walk on occasion but not a structured walk, maybe into town, (approx. 4 mile return walk) around the shops and back home. Jumprope is quite possibly a stroke of genius. I thin that’s what I would call skipping!!! And it’s something I can do with no special preparation, or special clothing etc etc. Thank you for a wonderful idea…
    And yes Milena, like you I know I need to exercise – maybe skipping will do it for me. And, of course, improving my food choices.
    Amazon here I come – for a skipping rope!!!!!

Hi Jak and welcome:

How to get the possible ‘health benefits’ when you do not need to lose weight is quite an issue. But you have hit on one of the many answers – do two diet days a week and eat more on the five non diet days. Believe it or not, if you are after health benefits I would work toward eating no food on the two diet days. According to some people’s ideas on the matter, that will increase your chance of generating some ketones and burning some fat. Also, it will never hurt to add exercise of your choice. I suggest walking for those that have not done much previous exercise. There is nothing wrong with jumping rope, except for me it is too hard! I think you will understand once you try it.

Good Luck!

Yes ,i did start walking before starting the jump rope.
    The reason was a foot injury, walking was out of the question for me. So I tried to find a HIIT.
    I was rope jumper in my youth , going on demonstrations for our heart association outings.
    I could tolerate the foot pain for short spans of skipping to get in a HIIT session.
    If serious about jumping rope some day. Don’t expect to be doing it right away. I took me four months to get to 3minutes even with my experience in my youth. My instructor used to tell beginners. Practice making 1 revolution at a time catching the rope under your feet . And leaning forward so it passes under your feet. Do that when out of breath. I aslodo jumping jacks when the a rope is out reach.

I full heartedly agree with simcoeluv. That walking is very important if not the only proven method of extending longevity. IMO it’s the combination of fasting, exercise, and health foods that synergies their individual benefits.

Three weeks into 5/2 and really liking it. Both my husband and I are following the diet (although he cheats a little!). We’ve only lost a couple of pounds each but we’re 79 years old and I don’t think our metabolism works the same as it did when we were younger. We’re only exercising three days a week–he goes to an exercise room while I walk on the treadmill. I don’t think we can do much more–do you think this will be enough? Also, I’m diabetic so I’ve been breaking my 500 calories on fast days into three small meals as I thought that would keep my blood sugar steady but wonder if it really makes any difference?

Am looking forward to everyone’s advice and support!

Hi kkirkm and welcome:

There is no need to exercise to lose weight, so the exercise you are doing is just fine.

The three meals, one or none will not make a difference. You can do what works best for you.

If you check some of the posts in this thread you will find some on how fasting is being used to totally reverse diabetes. The following thread has quite a bit of information: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/type-ii-diabetes/

Good Luck!

Thanks Simcoeluv, will take you up on your advice and adjust my calorie intake on both fast and feast days. mmmm, maybe now I’ll find it a little more difficult on the fast days. I think I’ll be a wimp and reduce my calories gradually – eating nothing frightens the life out of me!!!!
    Anyway, here goes….
    Samm my skipping rope is on it’s way. I think I will definitely be taking it slowly – don’t want to give myself a heart attack!!!!
    kkirkm I think it’s fabulous that you’re doing this – I wish it had been around when my parents could have benefitted from it!!!
    I think at the minute you’re probably exercising the about the same amount as me!!! (I’m only 54!!) Good luck with it – I really hope it has the desired effect for you both.

Today is my first day back on the wagon! So far so good. Went for a nice long walk this morning. Hopefully everyone is doing well! Ciao!

bunnykins
    started the diet again today after a break over Christmas…hope I stick to it this time, need to lose at least 1 stone

Thanks for the information and support. I too wish this diet had been around a long time ago–think I’ve been on almost every other one! Would lose 15-20 lbs. and then regain it plus more, mainly because the diets were too difficult to stick with. But I believe this will be a WOL for us. For you folks who are younger (everyone?), now is the time to stick with the program and get to your ideal weight. Believe me, it’s much, much harder when you’re in your 70s. I don’t expect we’ll get down as low as I’d like, but I know we’ll be healthier and at least somewhat slimmer!

Hello I am starting today. I watched the fasting programme and have been inspired. I am going to try just having one meal using my 500 calories which is going to be breakfast. I have been looking at the posts and the menu suggestions for ideas for breakfast and they are not for 500 calories. I always have porridge with raspberries and honey or banana but need more to make up the calories. Any tips would be helpful as I do not have a calorie app. My hubbie is fasting without any food on his fasting days but I feel it suits me better to have breakfast so I will see if it works for me.

This issue has been aired in the “Diarrhoea on day after fast” thread. I hadn’t seen your “Basics for Newbies” thread at that point, but now that I have, I think that maybe this is a better place for it. The issue is getting diarrhoea after eating on the day after fasting, and it seems to affect several people. I have tentatively concluded that the problem in my case may be excessive release of bile in response to a sudden intake of fat after a period of fasting. This is based on the fact that my diarrhoea has an alkaline smell (like old-fashioned hair perm solution) which is consistent with bile, and my reading that bile is released in response to fat in the stomach. I have tried to tackle this by reintroducing fat slowly in the day after the fast. I did this this week and it appeared to work. However another contributor expressed a concern that the actual storing up of bile on the fasting days could increase the risk of gall stones in susceptible individuals, and therefore speculated that consumption of small amounts of fat throughout the fast day might be better. Would you like to comment? (Btw I am doing the fasting for health rather than weight loss reasons, and am starting gently with 6:1 rather than 5:2).

Hi Ibiza and welcome:

If you go to the Forum section on the top of the page and then to the Official Fast Diet Forums you will find an entire section of recipes. There are many calorie counters on line, also. I recommend that you eat foods you enjoy eating. Many people find that it is helpful to eat foods high in fat and protein on their diet days so they will not be so hungry. Many also find one meal in the evening works best. Just experiment to come up with an eating pattern that works for you on your diet days.

Good Luck!

Hi snodrop and welcome:

I think you are over analyzing. The fact is when a person starts 5:2 they radically change their eating pattern and the amount of food they are consuming. Some even change the types of foods they eat, although they don’t have to. It should be expected that the body will not continue to operate the way it had been and that it will take a body awhile to adjust to the changes. My observation is that the people that bring up the subject are newbies and it is not a problem for experienced 5:2ers. There is no evidence I am aware of that people that change their eating patterns get sick (like get gall stones) from the changes.

Good Luck!

Hello, thank you for your reply. I have had breakfast only as I have decided to fast for the whole day as I find it easier not having to count the calories. I am out tomorrow night for a meal. I do not like having to calorie count so I will just choose wisely

Hi:

Longer term water fasting has been used for centuries to cure/manage various conditions. This video is by a Dr. that has water fasted thousands of patients for between 5 and 40 days over the last 30 or so years. The factual/observational results/impacts of fasting start at the 16 minute mark of the video – the first 16 minutes are OK but not very informative – more of an advertisement for the facility, although he does refer to two clinical studies published in peer reviewed journals that address reductions in blood pressure in fasted patients. If you watch the information, you may recognize some of the ‘problems’ or ‘issues’ you experienced as you started 5:2. I think the information can be helpful to anyone starting 5:2 and wondering what they should expect going forward. I put it up simply for what it is worth to you, if anything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOBa_hfbRE. It covers how long it takes to get into the ‘fat burning’ stage (ketosis) when eating nothing, fasting’s impact on insulin resistance and many other items of discussion found on various threads on this site. As an aside, it is interesting to note that over all of those patients, the average weight loss averages out to about a pound a day of water/fat. It is interesting none of them experienced a ‘starvation mode’ that stopped or seriously slowed their weight loss!

Good Luck!

“5/600”, I’m meant to eat 5 out of 600kcal on fasting days? I thought it was 600? (I’m male)

I’m also confused by something somewhere said. Apparently eating my TDEE (whatever that is for me ‘o.O) the day before and after a fast, I’ll not lose weight, … yet you’re supposed to eat your TDEE on all none-fasting days. I are confused. Can someone clarify, please?

Also, how do I get my TDEE? Is it just a regular maintainance amount of calories to sustain my weight? One site tells me it’s about 2600kcal to maintain, provided I exercise 4 times a week. (depends what counts as exercise, so I kinda hate answering that.)

Cheers in advance.

Hi Progress:

It is 500 for women, 600 for men, so you should eat 600 on your diet days.

If you read this post (the first, page one) you will learn a lot. Number 4 will explain TDEE and how to compute it. I have no idea where you came up with eating your TDEE before and after a diet day will prevent you from losing weight. It is not true.

Good Luck!

Thanks, simcoeluv. And yeah, I thought it sounded a bit weird. xD

Good morning I have just joined and starting this style of eating today. It has probably already been asked but I would like to ask if it is better to have your two fasting days together or separately? ie Monday and Tuesday or better to do it Monday and Thursday?

Hi Wekalegs and welcome:

I believe that for newbies it is better to split your diet days until you learn how your body is going to react. Most people find one diet day sufficiently difficult at the start. From a practical standpoint, two in a row v. split days lead to virtually the same results. As you can do your diet days any time you want, it depends on your schedule for the week!

Good Luck!

Thankyou simcoeluv.

Hi,
    Just joined so thought i would say hello.
    I understand how it works for the most part,
    i do have one question srry if its been asked or sounds daft.

On my fast days i understand i have 600 cals for the day,
    My question is is there any restriction to how you eat these?
    As in say 300 for lunch 300 for dinner?
    Or is it ok to break it down?
    Eg.

I can make soup in my Soupmaker to the equivalent 600 cals now from that pot of soup i can get 5 or 6 bowls and when im at work can have a bowl every 2 maby 3 hours so im not thinking constantly about food as my job is boring.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Andy and welcome:

As the post says, you can eat your calories at any time during your waking hours. So that means you can eat one time or six times or however many times you want.

Many experienced 5:2ers find eating one evening meal high in fat/protein works best.

Good Luck!

Hi:

A recent study concludes:

“Conclusions

In summary, the benefits of a low-fat diet (particularly a diet replacing saturated fats with carbohydrates or Ω-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids) are severely challenged. Dietary guidelines should assess the totality of the evidence and strongly reconsider their recommendations for replacing saturated fats with carbohydrates or Ω-6 polyunsaturated fats.” http://openheart.bmj.com/content/1/1/e000032.full

Part of the low fat mantra is that you should not eat cholesterol laden foods because they are bad for you. Seems the U.S. dietary guidelines may be changed in that regard:

” The advisory panel on the U.S. government’s dietary guidelines has decided to drop its caution against eating cholesterol-laden food . . .”

“For decades, the government has warned against diets high in cholesterol. But now many nutritionists now believe that cholesterol intake may not significantly impact cholesterol blood levels or increase the risk of heart disease in healthy adults . . .” http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/02/10/us-may-lower-cholesterol-level-threat-to-health-report-says/

Nothing like being told to eat the wrong things for decades.

Hi:

I constantly hear that it is important to build muscle mass for weight loss purposes because ‘muscles burn more calories than fat’. While there is no doubt exercise is important for better health, the fact is building muscle to lose weight is pretty much a waste of time. Why? Because muscles don’t burn that many more calories than fat.

As Livestrong points out, research shows that 1 pound of muscle burns seven to 10 calories per day, while 1 pound of fat burns only 2 to 3 calories, according to the American Council on Exercise. It notes that the difference isn’t huge, so gaining 3 to 5 pounds of muscle mass — the typical results of a strength-training program that spans several months — only has a net caloric effect of burning 15 to 30 more calories a day.

So you can exercise for better health, but you need to diet to lose weight. If you start exercising and expect to lose weight faster because you are, you may become discouraged and end your diet.

Please stick with the diet. And if you can’t exercise, don’t worry – the diet does pretty much all of the ‘weight loss work’.

Good Luck!

Hi:

I am constantly interested in the fascination many have with their ‘metabolism rate’. People seem worried that their rate might decrease, try to do things to increase it, and are convinced that if it was just different things would be better. The most common concern I observe is that eating too few calories will lower the metabolic rate, leading to slowed or halted weight loss (the infamous starvation mode – a myth, see FAQ above). My general opinion is that you really can’t do much about whatever your metabolic rate is, so you should not worry about its level and should just adjust to it, rather than trying to adjust it to fit your ideal.

Basically, the heavier you are, the higher your ‘metabolism’. And as you lose weight, your ‘metabolism’ slows down. All you have to do to confirm this is to go to the TDEE tracker at the top of this page and type in some different weights for yourself. The higher the weight, the higher your TDEE and BMR, and vice versa. However, I’m not sure that means someone should keep eating at high levels so their ‘metabolism’ stays elevated! That would mean they could not lose weight!

Metabolic rates are different for everyone. Even people with ‘identical stats’ typed into the TDEE calculator may have very different real TDEEs. Research has shown that some people’s ‘metabolisms’ are more efficient than others. And very few people conform to whatever the ‘numbers’ say should happen. They can put people on highly controlled, identical levels of calories and exercise and observe extremely large differences in weight loss or gain. What is more, research has done this with twins, and found similar differences – between pairs of twins! So one set of twins will lose a little, and another set of twins on the same levels of calories and exercise will lose a lot. In this study, weight loss variations between sets of twins ranged between 5.9 and 12.4 kg, everything else being equal. http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v25/n4/full/0801559a.html

So it appears that how much a person gains or loses given a certain level of caloric intake and exercise is at least partially genetic. If you watched Dr. M’s program on high intensity exercise, you saw something similar. Going from memory, some people gained much more benefit from the exercise than others, and they could figure out in what camp a person was quite quickly with a couple of fairly simple tests.

This ‘difference in genes’ tends to explain all sorts of things. Why some people can eat anything and not gain, while some can just look at food and gain weight. Why some people swear that exercise helps them lose weight, while some can work out constantly and see little improvement in weight loss. Why someone can work out their TDEE on a calculator, only to find it is way too high and they don’t lose weight if they do ‘everything right’ and why some do so much better. Why it is dangerous from a weight loss point of view to believe the ‘calories burned’ display on their fit bit or exercise calculator or exercise equipment – especially if they decide it is OK to ‘eat back’ their ‘calories burned’. They very well may not have burned that many!

The fact is a person has to eat fewer calories than they are burning to lose weight. But everyone is different. You cannot go on something read in a magazine article or book, or ‘the numbers’ of how many calories are burned doing this or that exercise for whatever length of time, or the TDEE generated by a calculator, because the odds are very high that those numbers do not apply to you.

You have to start somewhere and adjust. The people that simply say they are ‘doing everything right and not losing weight’ do not understand that if they were ‘doing everything right’ – for them, their bodies – they would be losing just fine. They just have to adjust their caloric intake (usually down) to get and keep their weight loss going.

You can’t really control your metabolic rate, so you have to control what you can – your caloric intake.

Sometimes, life just isn’t fair!

Hello,

I am new to this. Today is my first ‘fast’day and I feel I am coping very well. Feel i have eaten enough so far today and not really thinking about food at the moment. I have tried so many ways to lose weight including home CD hypnosis. I am a type 2 diabetic and have been overweight since the age of 11 yrs (currently 28). My Dr actually suggested this plan to me as all of the Dr’s at the surgery are doing it. I take tablets for my diabetes and they also help with the PCOS. Both of these conditions cause weight gain. I feel this plan could be rather promising but was wondering if there could be any complications with the diabetes and PCOS. I also read in an article somewhere (cannot remember where) that this plan can cause problems with fertility. Is this true as I would like a family once i have reached goal weight.
    I also exercise approx 14 hrs a week (spread over 7 days). This includes HIIT, Gym, Swimming, Ju jitsu an i also work with school children and run around the playground at play time 🙂
    Thank you.

Hi Red and welcome:

You should speak with your doctor about PCOS and fertility.

IF is being used to successfully totally reverse type 2 diabetes. There are several threads that include much information on the topic, including this one.

Good Luck!

What does TDEE mean please?

Total daily energy expenditure 🙂

Hi new correspondent with a few general queries please bear with me.
    I am recovering from BC last year and now on AI’s(aromatase inhibitors) have recently undertaken a vlcd – as weight management/loss has become problem, now have just 9lbs to BMI25. think this may suit as a lifestyle change and way to manage loss and management.
    Are there any others with similar experiences and are there any indicator that this should not be embarked upon at this time?
    thanx for any info

Hi Walk and welcome:

Please read number 4 in this post, which explains TDEE.

Good Luck!

Hi, am I still a newbie – I’m 12 fasts in? Is there a thread for people doing 5:2 chiefly for health benefits. I’d be interested to know if and when people started noticing a difference.

Hi astumbler and welcome:

You would have to define ‘health benefits’ before I could venture an answer. Unfortunately, if you mean a longer life with no illness, that may take awhile to answer.

Interesting question Simcoeluv. I guess I mean anyone doing 5:2 not for the purpose of losing weight/inches or who is already has a normal BMI and whether they had noticed any changes to their general well-being and if so when.

I’m pretty much a newbie. I have been fasting for the better part of a month. However the day after a fast I am super hungry! I feel like I want to eat everything in sight. Any advice on how to curb this? I don’t want to undo all my work the day after I fasted. Help!!!!

Hi Mica-D,

What I’d be doing is to basically divert my concentration onto other things. I either watch some motivational videos of fitness in YouTube, doing some activity (like walking/jogging) or busy myself playing with my kid so as not to binge

Hi Mica-D and welcome:

What kinds of food are you craving on your non diet days? Are they basically carbs, or do you also crave meat and fatty foods?

If you are basically craving carbs, the only way to get rid of the ‘hunger’ is to reduced carbs in your overall diet. It takes awhile, but many on this site will attest that it is worth it!

Research has shown that many (but not all) people are very sensitive to processed carbs – sugar, flour (bread/pasta), for instance – and that they in effect become ‘addicted’ to them. When you don’t eat many carbs during your diet day, the day after your body craves them. The only way to break the craving is to break the addiction. People on the Atkins diet have long referred to this process as getting the ‘carb flu’, because for the first week or so on the induction phase of the diet they feel pretty bad. After the first week or so, however, they usually report feeling better than ever. I guess no pain, no gain. Life isn’t fair.

Good Luck!

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 546 total)

You must be logged in to reply.