The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,301 through 5,350 (of 11,673 total)

• Oh gosh I need to be very careful on FD or I do that too Purple when I’m cooking – automatically test and lick!

Interesting it took that many fasts to get rid of that excess Thinatlast. A good reminder for us that it’s so easy to put on and hard work to get off again!

Have a lovely weekend judy and get stuck into the fasting next week.

I’m certainly struggling this time while on holidays. My resolve seems to have flown out the window! We are staying with our son and his partner and I think a lot of my eating is emotional eating. Im having a wonderful time but my eye is constantly on the clock thinking about the time when we need to leave again. I haven’t done that for such a long while but can’t see any other explanation for my lack of resolve. I fasted Monday and will do it again tomorrow but even on a FD eat a ‘reasonable’ tea because we all eat together.

And I constantly remind myself I can get back on the straight and narrow when I get home. I know I’ve put weight on, I’d say 1.5-2kg. Oh well, thems the breaks!

Carolann, I had pre-conceived ideas about ‘when I reached my goal weight’, I’d go to 6:1 but I now see the reality is that I have to stick to 5:2 for life if I want to be able to enjoy the odd indulgence and an occasional restaurant meal. I’ve never counted cals on nonFDs so as Dr M says, I can have what I want most of the time. It seems a reasonable trade-off. Most of these ‘indulgences’ are not worth the pain and hopefully I’ll learn this eventually. So grateful for FDs to pull me back into line.

Are most of you on this thread still fasting twice a week in maintenance (with holidays the exception)? I’m reading the ‘I Quit Sugar’ book. I’m not committed to doing it yet, but intrigued by it. The author tells you how to calculate the no. of spoonfuls of sugar in food products. Staggering.

Well done, Thin 😆 Great maintaining! Bay

And you Bay, are you back to your pre-hol weight now?

@Thin, well done for getting back to your pre indulgence weight. ?.
    @judy, I would have done the same. This is not just about food but about bonding with friends/colleagues. Very important, too
    @purple it just shows how confident with this way of life you are that you take on making toffee on a fast day!!! ?
    Two good fasts under the belt with another one on Friday. Yesterday, I experimented with the timing of the meal. Normally I eat all my cals in the evening but as I had a Yoga class after work and not likely to get home before eight o’ clock, I had all my calories at 2pm when I started to get hungry. That way I felt fully satisfied for the rest of the afternoon, had an energy boost for the exercise class and when I got home, I went straight to bed which didn’t seem too rediculous as it was dark and cold outside. To my relief I wasn’t starving (though a bit hungry) in the evening and it worked out very well. I have to try it again tomorrow because if I have learned one thing about this WOL it is that no two fast days are the same. What seemed a great idea and was easy to do one day does not necessarily work out too well the next time.

@carolann, hang on in there. Don’t beat yourself up and enjoy your precious time with your family. We are all here to support you when you get back. Hopefully the damage won’t be as bad as you imagine it now.

Yes, Carol, enjoy your holiday. You’ll be in summer when you get back. Easy!

Lichtle, I think most of us thought 6:1 would be the answer. I take the same approach as you. 5:2 for life. Eat what I like on other days (but not as I used to!). I’ve changed ?
    I’ve breezed through today’s fast (after the toffee incident). I’ve cooked and planned for a party and have been too busy to eat. I did have a Miso soup at 4pm, which satisfied my late afternoon need for salt.
    It is a good idea to listen to your body and eat when it needs those minimal cals on a fast day. Don’t wait until you are desperate and then can’t stop! We’ll all muddle along together, MCs. P 🙂

Well the fast days quickly taught me where I was getting quite a few extra calories – mindlessly picking (sorry, tasting!) while preparing food. Yesterday’s ‘extras’ were raw pastry left over from pie-making…

P, thanks for the tip on getting superthin pastry.

Lichtle, I’ve been thinking about perhaps eating fast day calories earlier in the day. Mid afternoon is my danger period, and I could very easily not eat in the evening if I had a meal at maybe 2 or 3. I’ve been holding back though as I’d been worried about not sleeping (and the knock on effect on work the next day). I’ll be interested to hear how you find it second time.

Yesterday’s (semi-)fast didn’t happen. Today it will! (I say this confidently because I’ve eaten all possible temptations 🙂 )

Thin, I’m a very intermittent faster now. But then I don’t eat bread/pasta/rice/added sugar or drink alcohol during the week, and that seems to make a huge difference. The occasional fast acts as a reset on portion sizes and sweet craving so keeps me on the straight and narrow.
    Sounds like you might be joining the sugar-free Lent challenge next time…?

I’d be HappyNow if I were in your shoes Happy. I don’t eat bread at all, my rice & pasta portions are minuscule compared with my previous habit & I often go without, no added sugar (if that means what it sounds like it does) and I rarely drink alcohol these days. Still can’t put a foot wrong without gaining a kg.

Funny what you say about eating all temptations – that’s what happened after our dinner party. I just had to get rid of the excess stuff that I don’t normally buy. And it lasted about 3 days. Felt horrible afterwards.

I don’t think I could risk eating all my cals at 2pm. I like having cals ‘in the bank’ to make sure I’m not hungry when when I go to bed. I’m interested to hear how you get on.

Is the Lent challenge a cold turkey event? (Even that probably contains sugar).

Morning all – I do love waking up to a good solid page and a half of posts – thank you all!

Thin, I’m still nominally doing 5:2, but the second fast of the week is fairly lenient – watchful, I’d say, rather than real fasting. The first FD is to keep the weight steady; the second is to keep my appetite properly set – without it, I find portion creep begins, and sugar starts to take hold – and it can become a proper, full-on FD without too much adjustment if I need to compensate for any reason, or the weight starts to rise. 4 days I eat what I like, but mindfully and with ‘whole’ carbs, never refined (but I’ve done that for 40+ years, so it’s not magic in itself – I still had to learn that even good things can come in too-large portions!). 1 day a week is ‘pig day’ – I tell myself it stops my metabolism from slowing down because it thinks I’m starving, but actually it’s just a licence for greed – knowing it’s there helps the discipline the rest of the week. (And actually, my greed-potential is set so much lower since 5:2, the old me probably wouldn’t recognise it as such!

Re the Lent sugar – yes, it’s just about cutting out anything with added sugar, 6 days a week (Sunday is always a feast day!). We’re planning to do it again in Advent (the 4 weeks before Christmas) which will be shorter, but tougher, with all those mince pies etc around. (I guess for most people it would be easier to do it after Christmas, when the rest of the world is doing it too, but personally I find it easier when there’s a spiritual dimension to it, as well as physical – plus I like to create some wriggle room before the festival!)

Lichtle, I quite often eat my main calories on anFD early afternoon, both because that’s when I get hungry, and because it sometimes suits our timetable better. It seems to work for us, though I do notice I need to save a few more for the supplementary snack in the evening than I would eat as an earlier snack if doing it the other way round. Plus, DH gets hungrier (or bored?) in the evenings, so we play it by ear a bit. I know it’s good to go as long as poss fasting, as to make sensible choices about getting the best nutrition from a few calls, but I remember Dr M saying cheerfully,now hen all this began, ‘it doesn’t matter too much how or when you get those calories, just as long as you keep them below X in a 36hr period. Life’s too short to spend fussing about the details, as long as the basic principle works – and the details are always there as an extra weapon when we need them.

Have a good day, everyone. I’m going to change my car in an hour or two, to an automatic because my l leg is now finding a clutch pedal difficult. Never driven an auto before, and have 50 years behind me of controlling speed with gearbox, rather than the other way round, so this is going to be a steepish learning curve. Think of me if you have a moment – and best to everyone fasting.

I started the diet in July and lost 18lbs in 3 months. I am 50 and thought the weight would be harder to shift. I have been on the maintenance programme of 6:1 for four weeks and have lost another 1lb. I stick rigidly to the 500 cal allowance on my fast days and for the rest of the week, I don’t give dieting a thought. I eat exactly what I want – although I have noticed my appetite and tastes have changed. I eat less processed foods, very little sugar and am more mindful about eating in general. I didn’t fast at all during 18 days of holidaying this summer and didn’t gain a single pound. In short, it has been something of a miracle. I should add, I do run three or four times a week for half an hour or so – but I did this when I was heavier too and it didn’t seem to shift any weight. This is the only diet that has ever worked for me. It’s all in the mind for me. I don’t crave ‘bad’ foods, because I know I can have them six days a week if I want them. It doesn’t take too much willpower to diet one or two days a week. I have read that some people restrict their calories on non fasting days. I couldn’t do that. I enjoy my food and intend to continue doing so.

Hi and welcome GBMT?
    Congratulations on your successful embracing of the 5:2 lifestyle. It IS amazing how much fasting changes our appetite, both in type and quantity, isn’t?
    Cheers PVE

Hi Thin

In answer to your question, I do 5:2 when possible as that means I can have a light cafe meal once a week and a glass of beer or wine about four times a week. I don’t enjoy rich meals. I minimise bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc. As you know, I try to restrict sugar.

I am back to my pre holiday weight. But now I would like to go back to the lower weight I was at for my first 15 months on 5:2. By looking at my records, I see that I have been fudging to myself this Spring. I was on average a kg lower for my first 12 months on maintenance, and then let myself gain that kg coming into this Winter.

What has been great is to receive all the encouragement on this thread, and from you, to get back on the serious 5:2 wagon. Yesterday was a non fast day and I maintained my weight by minimising the carbs, and having a sugar free day.

I went on the Lichtle and Fast sugar free Lenten challenge this year. They were both having six sugar free days a week and feasted on Sunday. OTOH, I found it so awful becoming sugar free that I stayed absolutely sugar free for over 40 days and nights! Who’s counting! Me 😉

Must go, last day with grandkids.
    Cheers, Bay 🙂

Hello goodbyemuffintop. Welcome – and it seems Michael Moseley had you in mind when he wrote the book ? It is fantastic that you don’t have problems gaining weight even on holiday. Long may it last.

@Bay I am very happy you found back to your original maintenance weight. I, too have been 2lb above my original maintenance weight since mid June. In fact my weight was so consistently 2lb over that I wondered if this might be my set or more realistic weight. But I have decided that I would concentrate and get back to my original maintenance weight and I have already lost a lb. I am not sure if I would not inch a couple of lbs higher if I accepted a new maintenance weight etc etc.

@fast, I hope you can enjoy your new car – not that easy to change something that we have almost automatically (pardon the pun) for so many years. Also, how is your mum doing? Is her stay in the nursing home final? has she fully settled?

Thoroughly enjoyable breakfast reading everyone and very informative, thank you for letting me know your maintenance strategies.

FFS, impressive reading (until I got to ‘pig day’ – couldn’t you give it a nicer name like ‘feast day’?). I’m sure you’re more refined than the picture you’ve conjured up! Good luck with the new car, vroom vroom.

Bay, pleased to hear you’ve got those holiday excesses nailed. Lichtle, I have trouble deciding exactly where my ‘maintenance’ weight should be. When I get to a new low, I still tend to sabotage it with some form of indulgence. I suppose if I cling to my two FDs, all will be well for me. PVE, you & OH are also very disciplined, rigid weighing, etc like me. My OFMs say I’m obsessive. In particular, they feel my plan to take travel scales to Spain is taking things too far. Do you feel obsessive in your approach to this WOL? Do others comment?

Congratulations to you GBMT, what an enviable position to be in. Pounding the pavement is great exercise. Apparently, I was an obsessive runner back in the day.

Sorry to be totally thick but by ‘added sugar’ do you mean literally heaping a tsp of sugar into a cup of tea or does it mean anything that ‘has sugar added’ i.e. all processed foods? And then Bay, by ‘sugar free’ does this mean no food containing sugar which includes dried fruit, carrots, milk, etc? Just finishing my breakfast of Carmen’s muesli & Mundella yoghurt and feeling especially guilty right now.

Quick lie down before I get into the dinner party cooking…done the prep. Exhausted!
    Thin we don’t tell anyone about the travel scales (except here ?). I figure, if it keeps us healthy and on goal, it has nothing to do with others. After all, I wear size 8! ?
    45 minutes shuteye zzzzz
    P

Ha, Ha. ? @Thin and Fast (had to get you two in a sentence) why not call a ‘pig’ a ‘pig’ ?.

The way I see it: Everything is relative; what some may call something ‘obsessive’ othes will call ‘ exercising control’. Fine line indeed.

Added sugar means as you say, all food with processed sugars ie cakes, chocolates, biscuits etc but all naturally occuring sugars in fruit and vegetables are allowed. In fact without that caveat, I would not be able to embark on the challenge. The great thin that transpired in the Lenten challenge was, that Sundays were exempt. But Bay felt that this would throw her off the no sugar wagon and she did the challenge ‘hard core’ all the way through. Supergirl!!! ?
    Why were you feeling guilty when eating muesli?

Third fast day this week and another attempt at having all my calories in the afternoon rather than evening. I suppose it can only work if I feel completely full until I get home otherwise I will be wanting to eat when I get home which is when I feel the biggest urge to eat and why I have always held out all day. Often I can’t even wait for the food to finish cooking and will start eating or picking. Between 6 and 9 I can eat my whole TDEE if necessary especially if I haven’t eaten much during the day. I think it is a reward thing for having worked all day and looking forward to relaxing. We will see how it goes tonight when I am not coming home starving.

I am lucky in in one thing though. Once my teeth are brushed and I am in bed I have never had a temptation to get up and eat in the middle the night even if I am a not very full. It is as if my my craving brain and digestive system shut down. So an early night is hopefully the solution.

So right PVE, you’re a size 8 so you can do what you jolly well please! Including enjoying that dinner party tonight. Is the dessert four blueberries & a tbs yoghurt sprinkled with twelve slivered almond pieces? Look forward to hearing all about it tomorrow.

Lichtle, agree, an early night is a good FD solution – and I always sleep so well on FD nights. Sometimes I go to bed at 8.30pm. But lately I’ve started waking at 4am which isn’t so good.

Thanks for clarifying what’s probably the bleedin’ obvious to others! I think I’d be in that sugar challenge under those terms. Well, I felt guilty because reading this ‘I Quit Sugar’ book has given me an education about how much sugar there is in our food. The Carmen’s muesli, to give an example, is packaged (and priced) so as to make one feel they’re onto something super healthy. Classic Fruit & Nut Muesli, low GI, source of fibre, no preservatives, source of protein, bla bla bla. Translated into tsps, the amount of sugar per 100gm serving (mine’s bigger I’m sure) is 3. Add to that the 5 tsps in the yoghurt and whatever’s in the milk. That’s before we even get on to natural foods like fruit. According to the author, we’re designed to handle 6 tsps per day. My poor liver.

Hi Fast . I have hust read my earlier post again and realised that my play with words, ie call a ‘spade’ a ‘spade’ does not come across funny at all and reads appallingly. Sorry, of course did not mean to call anybody a pig, ??? ?. I just meant why try and fluff up a good word like ‘pig out’ which I think sounds funny. Only on re-reading did I see that this could be misconstrued. I really did not mean it in any bad way.

No apology needed, Lichtle – I didn’t mis-read you, and I know a pig-out when I have one! (Though maybe they’re more ‘piglet-outs’ these days, as my capacity is so much less than it was…

Thanks for asking about Mum. She’s settled well and seems happy, though when asked at the recent review meeting insisted she’d be fine at home, and needed to leave as ‘I’ve been here over a week’ (actually since mid-July!). Her insistence that she would not accept care at home, when the reality is that she needs help 24/7, has led social services to decide on her behalf, and in her best interests, that her stay will be permanent. Decision still to be officially confirmed, which is why I hadn’t let you know, and it will be presented to Mum as ‘until you’re better’ – but I am full of relief that she is safe, content and cared for. Best we can hope for, really.

Pig-out (sorry, ‘feast’) day today, and am taking my aunt (95) in the new car for a bra fitting (in a shop!). Telling myself than loosening control over my eating for the day might help with the control-freak tendency which makes adjusting to the automatic tricky. We’ll see…

And Thin – they may say it’s obsession – you know it’s self-control. Tell them it’s because you love them so much you want to stay healthy and here for them. That should shut them up!

Thanks FFS, good thinking. No point discussing with OH – he downs a glass of OJ every day (10-12 tsp of sugar in that according to Sarah Wilson). Oh well, it’s his insulin, not mine. Difficult times with ageing parents. Your Mum’s quite right though, she has been there over a week. All the best with everything, you must be a very caring rellie to take the 95 yo aunt bra shopping (and good for her for wanting to go).

Oink oink ?

I meant to add a welcome to goodbyemuffintop – hi! (Wish I could say that – mine is still there, though these days it’s made of loose skin, not fat, which I suppose is progress. ). Good to have you with us.

Thin – thanks, but she’s actually a rather special aunt – no saintliness on my part, I’m afraid.

Happy – oink to you, too! Made a chocolate and betrothed cake yesterday, and looking forward to it!

Hi Fast,

Chocolate and betrothed cake? I’m not sure I’m familiar with that.

This little piggy will be baking tomorrow for guests! There will be biscuits, and chocolate puddings, and citrus puddings, and Italian biscotti… And the alcohol usually flows…

Tomorrow will definitely be pig day here…particularly given my habit of sampling raw dough and pastry 🙂

Are you celebrating your birthday?? It sounds more flamboyant than the usual weekend treat. Especially since you are not suffering from sweet tooth. ?

Happy and Lichtle, You made me laugh at the end of a tiring day. 😆

Thin, I am the original all or nothing person. For the sugar free challenge I gave up all dried fruit and all added sugar. I don’t drink fruit juice. I only had a few blueberries as fruit, and the very occasional Apple. My nibbles of choice were raw nuts and carrots and celery.

Once I had ground my way through 3 days of yuckiness with gritted teeth to reach a sugar free state, I didn’t want to risk it by having anything sweet on a Sunday. Hope that makes sense.

While I wouldn’t take scales with me, as we like to travel light, it works for Purple. So if it works for you, go for it. 😉 If I choose to ban wheat and sugar as food while on holidays, then I do not gain weight. And I can enjoy a nice red wine.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Hi Fast, I am so pleased you don’t need to worry about your mum as much anymore and that she is safe. I know we always worry to a degree but you know what I mean…

Fast, some people are just sooo nice that everything we do for them is a pleasure as they give us so much in many ways but especially in terms of being a role model how to grow old.

How is the new car treating you … or should I say how are you treating it? 😉

Hi Thin

Why not make your own muesli? We made ours for years. You can choose all kinds of seeds, oats, chia, lecithin, for me any ingredients that don’t include wheat. Nowadays, I mostly have protein for breakfast, with eggs of all kinds, or yogurt with chia seeds and almonds. Or avocado with lemon and a sprinkling of Parmesan flakes and tuna. I find the protein sets me up for the day, and I’m not hungry for hours. If I eat carbs, I am hungry again after two hours. 😉

Cheers, Bay 🙂

PS. Is it Purples birthday?

Beetroot, Happy, BEETROOT! Damn phone!

Yes it is ? Bay
    “Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I’m 64?”
    Celebration weekend. ???P

Btw, if you want to see real body shapes, skinny with pot bellies, Google Georges Seurat’s Indian Beggar and The Models. ?P

Happy Hippy Birthday, P. X

(Nb ‘hippy’ as in ‘child of the 60s’, not a reference to pear shapes! Sorry – no malice intended!)

Lichtle,

Yes, this weekend is definitely an oink weekend. Not my birthday, just a gathering of adults and kids at our house…hence the array of unhealthy options! I’m just hoping there won’t be any left overs… 😉

While I don’t have a sweet tooth, as in I don’t crave added sugar and can go weeks without a sweet ‘treat’, if I get started I will trough with the best! I guess I just find it easier to wean myself off it again?

Fast,

I love beetroot too, but I’m not sure I’d go so far as getting engaged…

P,

Happy Birthday! And yes, we do still need you 🙂

Happy Birthday Purple.?????????????? many happy returns.
    I hope you have a wonderful weekend.
    How about you Happy? ?

Sorry, just saw your post. Hadn’t refreshed the site. Have a great weekend with your friends.

L, I haven’t broken the car – though sometimes making a pig’s ear (obviously today’s animal) on manoeuvring it in small spaces. My L foot has accepted its redundancy much more easily than I had expected (probably because the manufacturers have thoughtfully provided a foot rest for it, on which I find myself pressing hard at certain times!) but my hand is still searching for a gearstick every so often. The manoeuvring problem is about having to shift quickly and/or frequently between forward and reverse, when my muscles haven’t yet learned to find the gears automatically – plus, for the first time, I have parking sensors on the rear end which beep when I engage R, and get louder and faster if I approach anything behind. I’m sure they will eventually be very helpful – but at at the moment they just make me jump, and think I’ve turned into a bus!
    It will all come with practice, and I’m grateful really – it was that or face the prospect of giving up driving, sooner or later. I’ve had plenty of varied practice today – Aunt lives at the back of beyond, down a very potholed lane, then we’ve done lanes, motorway and dual carriageway. She got her bra, (and was so pleased she insisted on pulling up her top in the car park to show me – fortunately we didn’t get arrested!); we had a lovely lunch; and the chocolate and beetroot cake was smashing. Extra FD tomorrow, I think, to make up!

Cheers guys…off for a weekend with the kids in the bush…plenty of food and booze ? P
    Ps…glad someone still needs me Happy ?

Ha I have had avoid laugh reading so many posts this morning. FFS your aunt sounds quite the character. I’m staying with 3 friends at a beach house that is quite a distance from the beach but my friends do like to walk 🙂 – they also like to eat and drink and we go to restaurants for lunch but stay in and graze and drink in the evenings. I’ve brought frozen vegetable soup and some eggs to boil or scramble. I did buy a lovely handbag too 🙂 Hope you all enjoy the weekend too xx

Fast,

Your description of getting used to an automatic, and the fake clutch, makes me think of my Dad! He’s the most annoying passenger, forever stamping on an imaginery brake pedal in the passenger footwell while I’m (safely!) driving.

And I have to be honest, I’m looking forward to being that old lady who shows off her new bra, says exactly what she thinks and has no inhibitions! Finally free of what society expects, and not giving a toss what anyone thinks! Hmm, although thinking about it, that might be me already!

Judy,

Sounds like a perfect break. Good luck with vegetables and eggs vs grazing and drinking in restaurants! You can at least console yourself that the extra walking will contribute to weight maintenance…

I must admit I’m wondering if I’ll get a chance to go for a run tomorrow between food prep, cleaning and guests arriving! I’d feel slightly better then about subsequent overindulgence..

Happy Birthday PVE. Hope your dinner party went well.

FastFastSlow may have a whole new meaning now. Judy, is the frozen soup & the eggs to make a FD meal while you’re away?

Bay, I’ve been thinking of making my own muesli as we do have a loose goods store nearby. The Carmens really is low GI, I rarely eat anything before dinner as it keeps me going all day. But it would be great to have the same effect without the sugar.

The only food on the planet I can’t stomach is beetroot. Every 10 years or so I try it again just in case (I hate to be labelled a fussy eater). It absolutely makes me gag. I think it’s genetic as in our forties, I discovered it’s also the only food my brother can’t eat. It’s amazing how prolific it is on Australian menus. The first time we went to a Mexican restaurant here, I was gobsmacked to find beetroot on my plate (chef had clearly never been to Mexico). They even put it in hamburgers, eeew. And nothing turns me off a lovely fresh salad more than that juice contaminating everything else on the plate. And that smell. OK, let the comments begin! 😆

Happy birthday Purple! Hope you have a lovely weekend and week! 🙂

Thinatlast, can’t call yourself an Aussie I’d you don’t love beetroot! 🙂

Re muesli, I recently started making muesli using quinoa. I mix the tiniest bit of oil and honey in and bake it in the oven on an oven tray until the quinoa goes golden. I eat with kefir yoghurt that Purple put me on to and to which I am now addicted and some fruit, cinnamon and nuts etc, anything you want to add really.

Carolann, ha ha, I know! Do you bake any other ingredients with the quinoa? At what temp? So I just add any amounts of other items like seeds & nuts?

Someone on the SH thread gave me some milk kefir grains when we met for coffee, I’ve since passed them on up and down my street – marvellous stuff. (I admit, I still use commercial yoghurt too but intend to wean myself off).

P.S. I’ve just read your profile and the thread you started entitled, ‘Holidays and Fasting’. Did your DIL have success with 5:2 and how did that 6 week holiday pan out overall?

Glad Purples having a fun day in the bush 😆

Lotta laughs on this thread today. 😉

Happy, you’re so slim you could just do it with a walk in the morning, No?

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Hi Thinatlast, no my DIL didn’t stick with 5:2. She said she got shaky doing it. My niece has reported back the same problem. She now does 6:1 instead of 5:2 because she doesn’t get the shakiness with that. I told them both they just need to eat more protein.

Re the holidays – I’m OS again in Canada and worried about what I might be putting on again! Last year when we came I either stayed the same weight or put on half to one kg. I can’t remember without my records In Front of me. Although I’m worrying myself sick over it I suspect it will probably be the same situation this time (I hope!).

Re the muesli – it’s more of a granola than muesli. I add all the other stuff at the end. I have tried baking it with everything included but some ingredients just get too hard.

I don’t have the kefir seeds, I buy it at the supermarket. 🙂

Thanks for all the info Carolann. I’m going to experiment with the granola as soon as my Carmens supply runs out.

I’ve put 13 people on to 5:2 with good success. One other friend said she couldn’t stick to it as it exacerbated her menopause symptoms, (I don’t believe it). One other had no weight loss and I think she cheated. My brother in the UK is one of the 13 so, if we were to stay, that would make things easy for me. You did so well to only gain up to a kg on a six week holiday. I’m impressed. Was that through fasting or just being careful?

I mentioned we’re spending the winter in Spain. OH and I are revising our Spanish. Yesterday, he wanted to study ‘dining out’. I suggested we skip all the junk food words since we won’t be needing them. But he insisted we learn the Spanish for pastries, desserts, donuts, pizza, biscuits, cakes, etc. He’s worryingly motivated when it comes to phrases like, “I want to eat now because I’m hungry”.

Enjoy the rest of your time in Canada.

I like your OH, Thin! One of the first things I had to master in French for travelling was, “I want food and drink please.” I then taught Mr P how to ask for the bill. ? Luckily we won’t need a second language (much) in the UK ?

Had a great birthday weekend, ending in an hour in the bath, just now, washing the camping grime off. Fantastic time with perfect camping weather and not TOO many creepy crawlies, mainly goannas. ? Several pigs died in the service of our culinary delights. Definitely animal of the week!

BTW Lichtle, creme caramel was Friday night’s dessert…with blueberries. Nothing low cal at all (except the serving size) in my creme caramel. ? P

Don’t know what a 5:2 size portion of creme caramel would look like PVE, the original is small enough from memory! Pleased you had a great time camping. Did you hunt & kill your own wild boar?

I’m learning phrases like, “could you serve the salad dressing on the side please”.

Another FD almost done. Feeling a big sloth-like, might be the weather, 34C today.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,301 through 5,350 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.