The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,951 through 5,000 (of 11,673 total)

• PS
    The woman I met yesterday was the one who introduced me to IF. The thing is that the person she had told me about doing IF so successfully has completely fallen back into old patterns. He started smoking again and has his belly back within a few months.

That really surprised me because I love the fasting experience itself – the energy and happiness and greater awareness coming with it. How can you voluntarily stop this again… Gee…

Maybe that is the difference between being heart (and belly 😉 ) driven and being driven by the ego only? Dunno. Think so, though. Once this is happening in your body and soul you would not let go of it, would you.

Hi Mahalo, how great you didn’t know that at the time otherwise you might not have tried it and realised that it can work. Yes, not everyone seems to be able to keep it up and maybe we are just lucky so far? It can take quite a while for the physical benefits to kick in and a lot of will power is needed to get to the point where you “enjoy” fasting.

Also, I remind myself that we have only been doing this for a few months or years and we don’t know yet how we will feel about fasting in say 5, 10 or 20 years. We all hope because we can do it now we will be able to do so in the future. Many people confidently claim they can keep this up for life after they lost a few pounds and have been on the fasting regime for a few weeks – but in reality we don’t really know for sure as we and our life changes constantly. Life can throw some spanners in our lives sometimes and we all deal with them differently.

In the meantime we can rejoice that we are able to fast and lead a healthy life today. 😉 Let’s hope we can all keep it up.

Mahalo, your determination seems very strong. Wonderful….and well done 😉

RE 3 litre water consumption. I can’t keep it up at the weekend or when I am out and about as I can’t stand the constant need to find a toilet, although I do it during the week at the office. Oh dear, already given up….

Lichtle
    Great insights on lifelong maintenance. We all have to find a diet approach we can stick to. IF has been that for me. I realize that I only hit my target weight last September and I decided then that I wouldn’t state I lost it for good until I could go two years without gaining it back. Obviously, I have another year to go. Your comment about not knowing it didn’t work for someone else was spot on. We are all easily influenced by anecdotal evidence, and expected results become reality.

In the meantime I continue my quest to find out what is meant by healthy eating. As I think I said in my first post on here, the only consistent guidance I’ve found in the nutrition community is less sugar, more vegetables. I no longer accept any article I read, regardless of who wrote it, unless it points to a study I can find online and check. As a result I’m learning a lot.

As to someone’s comment “to the ladies”, I guess I never really introduced myself. I’m a married guy who lives on Perdido Key in Florida. My real name is Jack. I’m retired. I first retired from the Navy in 1988 after 27 years of service and then from Northrop in 2009. Was a pilot in the Navy and a missile defense engineer at Northrop. My wife of 48 years, Ruth, is simply the most wonderful woman in the world. My health is excellent. As a result there are no stressors in my life and I enjoy an active lifestyle. I have had, and continue to have a wonderful life.

And I intend to keep the extra weight off.

Mahalo,
    I forgot to ask, what is the “5 hours between meals” rule?

Hi, Jack your introduction is much appreciated and how wonderful to talk about and describe your wife in such loving terms. It says more about you than an essay. Do you fast together?

You are right to be skeptical about claims about healthy nutrition. Have you heard of Ben Goldacre? His book “Bad Science”. is essentially a rant about how badly the mainstream media report so called scientific studies (often food related). He unpicks dodgy scientific claims made by scaremongering journalists, dubious government reports, pharmaceutical corporations, PR companies and quacks. You can also google him and there is a TED talk. My son is a scientist and he has given this book to me, so now all those headlines leave me cold and I stick to my two mantras which are:

a) Moderation (includes fasting)
    b) as much as possible unprocessed food – basically cook as much as possible from scratch.
    c) no processed sugar

I am not claiming to adhere to it all the time but in terms of healthy eating it is all I really need to know right now. Reduction and eventually elimination of processed sugar is my long term goal. But alas I am still a long way off.

The 5hr rule has nothing to do with 5:2 way of life. It is another school of thought (called “food combining” – in the US by Dr Shelton) which says among other things not to keep grazing all day and to leave enough time between meals (4-5hrs) so that the body can fully digest and rest in-between giving the opportunity for regeneration and healing. However with fasting you give your body a rest twice a week anyhow and if you are doing IF – ditto.

:-)) Ha, ha, I have just counted my mantras and they are three not two. I added the sugar at the end….

The five hours without food are about insulin. Insulin food combining was how I started my journey of weight loss (as mentioned). Basically I am still following its main rules on non-fast days. Eating all day on non-FD has the risk to fall back into old patterns (for me that is).

Hi Jack, sorry I’m one of those that may have assumed Jairlie was the non de plume of a female! Jairlie actually sounds quite pretty! Jack sounds very manly lol!

Re nutritious food – I think one of the problems is there is continuous research being done in the field of food and nutrition. We no sooner get used to Reducing meat in our diet than we are told to increase meat consumption! And so it goes on as more research is done and opinions change.

I think you need to make your own rules. Like Lichtle, I eat very little processed food, very little sugar, lots of fruit and veg and meat in moderation. I also think serving sizes are worth looking at as we age also because we just don’t need the amount of food we needed when younger. I drink water, we don’t have takeaway very often and we don’t eat out a real lot. When we do eat out we tend to choose a nice restaurant so the food is usually very nice but still richer than what you would be having at home.

I think you need to take all the information, digest it (:) ), and make your own mind up about what seems sensible and what doesn’t.

To the ladies,

If you’d read Jairlie’s profile you would have seen he was male!

Hi Jairlie,

Nice to know a bit more about who we’re speaking to though!

My take on healthy eating is pretty much as the others state. In addition to moderation, unprocessed, and low sugar, I’d probably add ‘variety/ diversity’. The research on gut flora is interesting and seems to support the idea of eating a wide range of food stuffs in moderation, so a little of a lot of things for a healthy digestive system.

I don’t eat as much meat as I used to. I don’t feel the need to eat meat every day now, and I tend to eat less when I do. I don’t believe excessive meat consumption is good for me and it definitely isn’t good for the planet. My diet includes more vegetarian than previously, and also more oily fish. And I try to eat more beans and lentils.

I’d fallen into the habit of potatoes/ pasta/ rice/ bread at every meal time. I now tend to think pasta, rice and bread are just cheap bulking agents, not a lot of nutrition and not healthy in excess. I don’t eat them every day now, and when I do (and back to moderation and variety) they’re a component of the meal but not dominant.

If I snack (and I do!) I choose nuts, almonds being my current preference.

On the subject of sugar, I pretty much cut it out when I started 5:2 and now I have much less of a sweet tooth. I cook from scratch so I know most days there’s no added sugar in my diet. I do cook cakes/ biscuits at weekends as a ‘treat’.

And if that old sugar craving does try to take hold, and I find myself thinking ‘why shouldn’t I eat biscuits every day?’, I remember that a treat is defined as something out of the ordinary that brings great pleasure. So cake or chocolate once or twice a week is a treat; every day it’s just habit, and no more special than anything else I eat daily.

I think my diet’s reasonably healthy now. And having cut down massively on the processed carbohydrate and added sugar, and eating appropriate portion sizes, I know I could maintain my weight without fasting (particularly as I exercise). I want to carry on fasting for health however.

I’ll be interested to see what you come up with following your research/ reading. Hopefully you won’t tell us that we’re all doing it wrong…!

Hi all,

twimc re water drinking and weight impact.

Had an unscheduled weigh-in this morning – out of spontaneous curiosity – before breakfast. Scale said 63,6 kg (after almost two weeks of ADF and three weeks of 3 liter daily). Jeans said: less belly overlap than two weeks before.

So it looks the water and ADF impacts are more kg on the scale while less mass in the dress (just rhyming along a bit 😎 )

Just FYI: The tv-reporter who tested the 3 liter cure for four weeks had the same weight of 57.6 kg yet less fat (equivalent: 54 kg) and less waist circumference. (She was thirtysomething and did not eat differently compared to her usual everyday life.)

What I can not say is which impact belongs to what because I am mixing the two. As so often I find the scale pretty vague in my case. And I am happy I do not have one at home. By now I know I would not have gotten to this point if I had one and seen these ups and downs over the past year 🙂

Have a great week-end all
    M

Mahalo, I wonder if the man who introduced the woman who told you about 5:2 has had some event in his life that has thrown him back into his old habits. We cannot know what is going on in people’s lives, but it is a great shame that he has fallen back into the old habits.

Lichtle, as sugar is a processed food, I think you can sneak it into the second point, but with emphasis 🙂

– so call it 2.1 🙂

Barata,

I happen to know the background. He has fallen in love. The lady he fell for smokes, eats and drinks. He is joining her in all three habits and calls it “enjoying himself”. That was why I thought of him as falling out of self-love and surrendering to “the ego”. Only the ego calls self-destruction “a joy”. And I am not judging at all because I know all three habits myself. And all the PR talk of my own old ego…

M

Barata, thanks :-)). Whilst I am doing baby steps, I think I am slowly reducing sugar. In reality that means that just as I feel good about myself on that front because I have had a good stretch without sugar, I seem to fall two steps back again with a couple of bad days. However overall I think things are improving.

Mahalo, Ah, that explain it. It is difficult to not join in when you are in a relationship.
    Re: results of ADF mixing with large amount of fluid intake. This amount of fluid in the system weighs quite a lot so don’t take it too seriously and let it average out.

Ha ha since I moaned and complained last week things have improved greatly!! I lost 1.3 kgs last week and another .6kg this week!!! Whatever I am doing its working!! I think all your words of support had the desired effect!!!! THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!

Oh Mahalo, he is being led astray.

Well done indeed, Kindle.

Congratulations Kindle!

Lichtle I expect you are doing a lot better than you think re your sugar intake – our perceptions change so much!

Well done Kindle!

Hello, Ladies and Gents – just a quick drop-in (life has been hectic and difficult, but I’m hoping it will calm down and I’ll be back properly soon – for the moment I’m mainly a reader, rather than a poster, but I am still following on the fringes and send my best to all.)
    Reason for quick drop-in is to alert my sugar-rehab buddies to Jamie Oliver’s new campaign – a ‘war on sugar’. (For non UKers, Jamie conducted a campaign some years ago which went a long way toward revolutionising school food here – so if he’s taking on the vested interests profiting from added sugar, it should be good.)
    Starts on Channel 4, 9pm Thursday: ‘Jamie’s Sugar Rush’

Night all – I’ll be back!

Ps weight is stable!

Welcome, FFS, I was starting to wonder where you were 🙂 Interesting you should mention the Jamie Oliver school food campaign. We were living in England at the time, and I would be interested to know – did things actually improve, and if so, have improvements been maintained?

Great, Kindle.

re JO here is an award speech he held for TED
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=19&v=jIwrV5e6fMY

re my last week of ADF has started today…
    Amazing how you get used to this quick shift of feast and fast in a daily rhythm.
    Today is my eighth WFD and I am not struggling at all. Today next week the 3 liter and ADF will be over. I will then decide what to do about both themes. Because right now I just could go on with it for the sake of feeling well.

Have a nice day and great week all
    M 🙂

Barata, JO’s campaign did make a huge difference, which is still continuing in many schools, where children are now being offered much more varied and healthy foods (and packed lunches brought from home are ‘policed’ very thoroughly, causing aggro among some parents!). It did raise awareness, which can’t be bad. And a lot of vending machines full of chocolate and fizzy drinks disappeared, which was good.

The other side of the coin is that we are now into the third UK government in a row aiming to turn as many schools as possible into ‘Academies’ – commercially or charity sponsored, and free from local authority control andtherefore from many of the regulations which apply to local authority–controlled schools. As well as being allowed to employ teachers with no teaching qualifications, they can ignore the rules about nutrition, so standards of both are variable – some are brilliant, some dire – and the drive for financial profit in some means the reappearance of less mindful food, as well as the dreaded vending machines.

Speaking of which, does anyone else go to a gym ( local authority leisure centre, not posh private making huge profits) which is full of said chocolatey, crisp-y, fizzy-drink-y, machines? The small cafe does stock fruit, but in tiny quantities alongside the sweet stuff, and children do love slot machines! I’ve tried campaigning for change via suggestions to management, but with no result – they’ve obviously just written me off as a pain! But it does seem paradoxical to me that a place so dedicated to the body healthy should be so wilfully in thrall to the vested interests of the junk food suppliers.

@kindle – well done, you must have hit a plateau but your body is moving on now.
    @mahalo I am very impressive that you keep up ADF when at goal weight. I am looking forward to your next experiment. :-)). I can keep up the water consumption only when not out and about and recently I have had busy weekends and did not want to have to worry about how much water I consumed and rushing to find a toilet.
    @fast lovely to hear fom you. It seems life is a bit stressful at the moment for you. Than you for alerting us to the JO programme next Thursday. I am afraid, I don’t have any experience or connection with gyms but it seems strange that they should emphasise unhealthy treats and not take this opportunity to offer healthy options. But as you said it is all money driven.
    @carol – you may be right there

Have a great week all of you.

Hi All,

On the subject of sugar and sweet, the following makes for interesting reading… Big business yet again, getting you hooked at an early age!

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/aug/30/baby-foods-found-too-sweet-to-encourage-variety-of-tastes-in-children

Now, how did I guess I’d been talking to another Grauniad reader, Happy?!
    Always amazes me how new and presumably expensive research comes up with stuff some of us have known for years…
    Worth a read though, by anyone who hasn’t already seen it.

Hello all,

Lichtle,
    right now my main challenge is the confusion caused by my weigh-ins. I do not understand the ups at all.

Okay, what is about water that makes the weight go up that much? Just do not get it ;( Or do I in fact regain? Can not believe that really doing ADF.

When I had a weigh-in at the start of my ADF on 17th of August I had 65.8 kg. That was on 17th of August (evening of a WFD, usually I weigh in the morning with empty stomach). Next was 28th of August morning after almost two weeks ADF: 63.6 kg. This morning 64.0 kg.

Can someone explain to me why/how water intake makes the scale go up so much? (If that is the reason at all.)

I find it so hard to orientate where I am at now. (And yes, I admit, even if I know “kg on the scales” is not the most important thing it bugs me 😎 .)

Trigger weight is the name for it. ARGH!

Have a nice day all
    M

Maybe it’s not the water Mahalo – might be worth keeping a daily food diary for a week or two and see if there’s any pattern in weight gain that links with what you have eaten.

Re weighing and FD – I know the day after a FDbi will weight lighter but the next day I will weigh lighter again even though I’ve had a normal day in between. I think we need to work out how our bodies react to fasting and weight loss patterns of we may end up disappointed.

Try weighing every day and see what comes up. 🙂

Mmm, if you have read my post to Jairlie, this is one of those meaningless scientific journalistic writings that proves nothing. This subject is far more ccmplex than baby food by money driven baby food manufacturers. Of course they will produce food that actually gets purchased in the same way that this journalist and his paper will only write stories that sell. That is life.

Baby food is made in less time than it takes to go shopping. Cooking meals with vegetables which can be blended with a stick blender takes no time. But the chances are the same family get take away food for themselves and their elder siblings. I don’t think this article will make any difference to the puchase of ready made baby food because our food crisis has more to do with personal responsibility than with big manufacturers – and personal responsibility is hard work – it is much easier to blame others.

BTW: Neither I nor my children ever had ready made vegetables in a glass jar – I couldn’t afford them – and all but one have a sweet tooth….and yes toddlers spit out brokkoli and spinach and prefer carrots and banana. So if I had had the money I would not have wasted it on a bitter vegetable jar that baby spits out.
    My vegetable battles at home are still re-told by my children. Each one got a small amount of vegetables and were not allowed to leave the table without eating it. So one of my daughters who hated peas ate all of her five compulsory peas by swallowing them like pills. .

Sorry for this rant but sadly with today’s information oveload my cynicism increases year by year.

Go, Lichtle – hurrah!!!

And Mahalo, I’ve definitely noticed a delayed effect on thr scales – if I overindulge I can think I’ve got away with it for a day or two – but it normally shows up about 3 days later (and I definitely avoid scales in the evenings!). Any help?

Thanks for answering, yes, it all helps to sort things out mentally. (Physically is my own job, isn’t it – no virtual access to that 😉 )

My main parameters of the past year have not changed.

I do keep a food-diary. Have not changed anything in my mostly healthy nutrition.
    I still do 50 – 100 km biking daily – feast or fast day. (Unemployed, prevents me from depression and going nuts 🙁 )
    I do not own a scale and will not buy one. I go to the pharmacy print scale every now and then. These days a bit more often than usual.

The only parameters that I have changed are the daily 3 liters of water (plus the water in my food) and the ADF I have been doing for 2 weeks now.

Searched the net for water-weight-gain-correlations yet could not find any substantial ones really. That is why I asked you 🙂

M

Lichtle,

I didn’t need to read your post to Jairlie to realise this is an article selling newspapers. And yes, I do appreciate it’s a complex subject. And I’m all for personal responsibility. But not everyone is as well-informed, intelligent and able to cook as you are!

On re-reading, it is not entirely clear that one approach or other is better.
    Babies fed bottled food which comprises a limited range of predominantly sweet vegetables are less likely to go on to eat a range of vegetables as they grow up…
    Babies made to sit at the table and eat their greens grow into adults with a sweet tooth and remain traumatised by their childhood experiences… 🙂

I should say that the latter is representative of my childhood. And the things that I hated as a child but was forced to eat? I hate them still…

@ Happy, My post didn’t have a go at you re posting the link here so I don’t understand why you see any need for sarcasm (I am not particularly well informed and definitely not a good cook) or disparaging about asking my children to eat a tiny amount of vegetables (we are talking tea spoons here). I didn’t put vegetables into bottles, I breast fed until they were a year old and able to eat with a spoon. When raising children you are damned if you do and damned if you don’t that is for sure.

@mahalo, sorry I can’t think of an explanation either, apart form that it may have something to do with muscles??? I must admit I don’t know much about this complex issue but with your vigorous cycling maybe you have acquired muscles you are not aware of – deeper down muscles maybe? These are just ideas and guesses but I am sure you will find out soon, being so vigilant with recording everything and then you can tell us. 😉 I wish I was only half as diligent and consistent as you are.

Sorry Lichtle, I wasn’t being sarcastic when I commented on you being well informed and intelligent! You clearly are, and if you think you aren’t you should try talking to 98% of the population!

I do know a lot of seemingly intelligent people who resort to bought baby food though, and probably do think it’s healthy (especially if it says ‘organic’). And actually it isn’t unhealthy (apparently if fed properly it provides no more sugar than breast milk), just that it perhaps makes parents lazy in introducing other flavours (and textures? I know adults who still mash their food!).

And I didn’t mean to criticize your parenting. I apologize for my slightly tongue in cheek comments, but your family meal times did remind me of my own…all those times hoping one of the dogs would come in so I could pretend to have eaten the offending whatever and leave the table!

Isnt it hard to avoid appearing sarcastic/critical/angry without meaning to without tone of voice, body language etc? Words are wonderful – I’ve loved them all my life and continue to delight in them – but they’re still a bit limited, on their own. Thank goodness for the abilities to talk straight, express disagreement or hurt feelings honestly, make a gracious apology and remain friends – they’re all rare, and all to be found on this thread!

Here’s a link to today’s serving of Guardian and school dinners…
    http://gu.com/p/4bq9h

@happy, I was obviously a bit touchy and should have noticed the smiley face. Thanks for getting back to me. 😉
    @fast, you are so right, – and much of how interpret things also depends on our mood etc. I will look at the article a bit later.

Well Lichtle, my OH tells me I’m a bit abrupt and can come across a bit strong in writing, so I’m sorry! I’ll work on my people skills…

You have got me thinking though (far more than the original ‘baby food too sweet’ headline…).

Do you suppose there’s any correlation between preferring fruit smoothies and blended vegetable juices as an adult and whether or not you were fed baby food as a child?!

Hi Happy, I really don’t know the answer to that. I presume that all babies and toddlers had some kind of mashed baby food be it home blended or shop bought so if there was a correlation, almost everybody would love smoothies and vegetable purees. Do they? I do. ? I don’t even know the statistics of what percentage of people prefer sweet to savoury. If anybody has the answer, I would be very interested.

My next question would be. “Are the early years (baby and toddler) more significant in developing our tastes than the rest of the childhood or are our tastes developing slowly and are in effect learning, by going out in the world and experiencing other people’s food?” Are the tastes of today’s children who travel more and visit family in other countries more varied? When I grew up I was not exposed to much food experimentation (we didn’t go on holidays) so my taste did not develop or change significantly throughout my childhood making it difficult to pinpoint a time that determined my food preferences. What do you think?

It will be interesting to compare the current generation of babies, many of whom are being weaned to finger foods, rather than mashed up ones. Sobering thought has just occurred – that if it takes 30 years for the effects to show I’m unlikely to be around to see them!

I’ve not really thought before about what has governed my food preferences, although I did not encounter the Mediterranean/ middle eastern food I now love during childhood at all.

I have read that what your mother ate while pregnant influences your tastes, as the flavours turn up in the amniotic fluid. (That’s why we don’t feed onion or garlic to the hens – it taints the eggs!) But apparently if you ate garlic while pregnant it would be more palatable to your baby due to familiarity.

I guess a lot of pregnant women would think about things to cut out to avoid harm (salt, alcohol) but might not conversely think about what to add in to ensure a happy healthy and adventurous (foodwise) baby?

I don’t know about tastes being established in utero, Happy – it’s an interesting thought, and I would think quite likely – it certainly applies to tastes passed through breast milk – but I know a lot of work has been done revealing significant connections between maternal – and grand-maternal – nutritional status and health of their children/grandchildren even into late middle age. The evidence of the effects of starvation on pregnant women on heart problems in later generations is startling.

As far as the issue of making children eat things is concerned, I always felt the need to balance the importance of encouraging them to eat a healthy and varied diet against my own experience of forced eating – being hit for retching over milk puddings, for example, only to find as an adult that my body genuinely doesn’t cope well with dairy foods. Sometimes children’s instincts are sound!

My own rules – and I make no cliam that they were the ‘right’ ones – were:
    – you try everything – more than once;
    – you won’t be forced to eat it if you really don’t like it – food should be a pleasure;
    – but – no alternatives are offered – no way am I cooking a hotel menu!

I attribute the fact that, with one or two exceptions which they still avoid in their 40s, and which I respect when they visit, we never had to persuade them to eat – they all ate/eat more or less anything, in healthy quantities and with great enjoyment (and are all good cooks) – not necessarily to those rules but to the fact that ‘hunger is the best sauce’ – food was always healthy and home-cooked, (and most of the meat and veg came from the garden) but it was necessarily very frugal, and if you hesitated about eating something, there was always someone else who’d make the most of it.!

Hi all
    I’ve been reading your posts with much interest and nothing different to add . I remember being forced to eat breakfast cereal until I vomited and I still do not eat it!! My kids had to try everything and I cater for their dislikes when they come for dinner. Our 21 yo son has just moved back home and I cater for his many dislikes if he gives me 24 hours ( or at least 12 🙂 ) notice that he is home for dinner. But when my gorgeous granddaughter stayed the night last night and didn’t like our dinner- she did get something she did like haha

I don’t know about evolving taste in utero, but I never made my children eat anything they didn’t want to – not possible, with a fussy OH! And now they all eat almost anything. 🙂 The few foods I wouldn’t / couldn’t eat as a child have mostly moved to the acceptable side as my tastes matured.

Hello all,

wishing you a nice evening/day.

(The nutrition/eating of toddlers and childhood dramas at the dining table triggers me too much. That is why I am not joining in. Brings up hurtful memories.)

Lichtle,

today I was on the go all day and outside (which is unusual these days because I live very withdrawn) due to Arbeitsamt measure. So today I could only drink less than 0,75 liters during the day. There was just no time and occasion to drink. Gee. Now I have to get down the missing 2 liters plus 😉 Hope my stomach will be able to cope.

My weight-up was hormonal (do not want to go into detail 😎 … the intervals are up to 40 days now and that makes timing really hard “these days”…)

🙂 Cheers and happy Fast/Feast Day
    M

Remembering the sugar challenge of earlier days, having one stubborn kg to get to my arbitrary goal, and wanting to be at that goal for my two-year fastiversary at the end of September, I decided on a no-added-sugar month. So two FDs, two days with no wine 🙁 no chocolate 🙁 and no ice cream 🙁 Results – weight flatlining! So as of today I’m back on the wine and dark chocolate (72% – part of a healthy diet anyway!)

re Sugar & Wine…
    I have set “no wine” (no alc) during my four weeks of water-challenge. Basically almost all year 2015 was without alcohol. Now, doing the ADF I have some (sugar) treats on every feed day, hm… With 5:2 I did not. The “10 in 2” version of ADF even allows/recommends a small glass of red wine in the evening.

Next Monday the water callenge will be over. I will then have coffee again on my WFDs (yay!). And I may even try the little glass of red in the evening (not sure yet). They recommend it for health reasons.

I will do the ADF for another week. At the end of a whole ADF-month I will decide what to do and how to go on from there.

It is all a big testing for me 🙂 Well, as long as it feels good…

Have a nice week-end all
    M

Barata,

The question of the last stubborn kilo is one that frequently perplexes me. You often read other posters saying that the last few lbs (couple of kilos) are hard. But why should that be?

Yes, as you get lighter you would expect your rate of weight loss to slow (although I haven’t found that, with fasting). But why should the last kg be significantly harder (or seemingly impossible) than the penultimate kg?

As you note, goal weight is arbitrary really, all in the head, so there must be a psychological, and not physiological, reason?

Maybe you should revise your goal weight downwards by two kgs? That way, you can lose this ‘last’ kg (as it will be the new penultimate one) and won’t need to worry about being stuck permanently 1kg over your new goal weight (as you’ll be at your old goal)?!

Viewing 50 posts - 4,951 through 5,000 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.