TDEE/BMR/BMI – help needed

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
TDEE/BMR/BMI – help needed

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  BlueIris 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Restarting 5:2 and Need some advise re TDEE. I am 5ft6″ , 184lbs, do 4hrs of Zumba a week, eat 3 meals a day on non fast days and the TDEE calculations are

BMI – 29.7
    BMR – 1516
    TDEE – 2350

I use myfitnesspal and currently my settings are:
    1582 calories daily
    35% protein
    40% carb
    25% fat

What should my daily calorie intake be? I thought it should be between BMR & TDEE and currently have it set at 1582 and people are saying this is possibly too low, which would also explain lack of weight loss.

Hi Debsjeav:

The basic rule is the less you eat, the more you lose. There is no reason to try to eat between two numbers, it just makes 5:2 unnecessarily bothersome. Simply eat 500 or less on your diet days, and your TDEE or less on your non-diet days. You might also think about reducing your protein and carbs a bit and increasing your fat. Finally, your device (and all devices) have been proven to be between 10 and 20% off (http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/08/28/how-accurate-are-fitness-tracker-devices/?intcmp=features), so if you are not getting the results you think you should, you might revisit how much you are eating. Here are some tips: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hi Debsjeav,
    I have a Fitbit, and have used several fitness tracking sites before. They haven´t caught on to 5:2 in that you can’t put in a fast day.

If you really want the numbers to add up on your account you will have to settle for it adding up over the week.

Add the calories you are shooting for five days a week to the number of calories you eat on fast days (which is a quarter of your TDEE) and divide by seven.
    ((2350×5)+(590×2))/7 which ends up being about 1850 a day on average over the week.

The general recommendation is 500 cals for a woman on fast days. So if that is what you are going by it deceases the daily calorie allowance a bit
    ((2350×5)+(500×2))/7 to 1820 cals a day on average over the week.

Hope that helps 🙂

Simcoeluv – thanks you for your response and for the links you added. You mention “all devices” – I used to have a fitbit flex and I totally agree it was not accurate but I currently use a HRM which I find to be more accurate than anything. I am not too sure about reducing my protein and increasing my fat though. I agree carb reduction will help but a lot of what I have read is increased protein/less fat is the key. Fuller for longer.

Blueiris – thank you for your response and thank you so much for the calculation – your explanation & calculation was a great help. I have had this explained before but never understood it but seeing it written down like this is amazing. Formula saved for future reference. Thanks

simcoeluv – i have just spotted your link re fat phobias – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QetsIU-3k7Y and currently watching it – disregard my comment above re fat.

You are welcome.

The “problem” is that the more weight you loose, the less you can eat. Soooo unfair 😉 Since I am short my TDEE is sadly low!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.