starting Monday 5/1/15

This topic contains 739 replies, has 89 voices, and was last updated by  Pat from SC 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 451 through 500 (of 740 total)

• Good Morning fasters. I am going to try 3 fasts this week Today, Wednesday and Friday. The scales barely moved last week and I would really like to see some loss. On a positive note, I feel well and have definitely lost some inches – yey!
    I managed a run (of sorts yesterday) and really want to get back to running 3 times a week – I think I had better sign up to some charity 5K runs to give me a goal.
    Personal aims.
    To lose a stone (14lbs/6.35 Kilos) in addition to the 6lbs I have already lost.
    To improve my fitness – get back to running 5K and move onto 10K.

Good Luck Monday fasters.

Good morning everyone!! Newbie here, from Texas!! I love hearing about stones and teas etc! I am reading Michael’s book and find all of this soooo fascinating. I started 5/2 on my birthday Jan 21. Today is my second fast day. I am fasting Mondays and Thursdays. I am doing this more for health reasons than actual weight loss (I could stand to lose a few pounds though)I just turned 65 and have high blood pressure, high fasting blood sugar, and some very painful issues with my spine. Even though the name of this diet is new to me, the concept is not! I did 2 or 3 days a week over 30 years ago, but I just called my fasting days “diet days” Also about 500 calories. On my non diet days I do not count calories at all, but most definately make sure that I don’t binge eat. Always mindful of what I put in my mouth. lol. I also only weigh in once a month, on the first. Don’t like to see flucuations!! Thank you so much for this kind of support. I had no one or no internet my last go round with this!!

Good luck Deanie Bo. I admire your restraint in weighing in monthly. I struggle to stay off the scales on a daily basis!!

I get on the scales daily as well. I just try not to get the fluctuations get to me. Of course its lower after a fast day and a bit higher after a normal day. I am at the end of my first week. I am having a hard time not sticking to my TDEE calories,
    which should be around 1800 max I think. The fast days are no problem. Anyone else dealing with that issue?

juliejaffa, I’m the same. The scales are in the bathroom, staring at me every time I go in there! In the mornings I can almost hear that voice saying “go on, step on them, wonder what they’ll say today … go on, you know you want to!” and most of the time I give in! But I figure I can give in to that temptation as long as I don’t give in to food temptation! I’m on a fasting day today and so far so good. Will be ready for something small to eat tonight though. Probably a poached egg on a piece of wholemeal toast (no butter).
    I must admit, kminnucci, I don’t count calories on a non fast day. I just try to be sensible but if I really want something, I’ll have it. So far though I’ve found that I haven’t felt the urge to really be bad! By the way, have people tried the SlimFast caramel bars? They’re 99 cals and are delicious! Really gooey and chewy! I love one with a cup of tea and it satisfies my chocolate craving!

5 oclock already πŸ™‚ dinner at 6 another fast day nearly done No trouble at all. I will be fasting today, Wednesday and friday this week im doing an extra day because i have a girls night out this weekend so alcohol will be consumed. Its not even the drink im worried about its what i will eat the day after the drink lol i get terrible hangovers and crave fatty foods which is why i dont drink too often

Deanie, how do you manage to weigh once a month? So far I managed once a week since start. I am already so proud of myself as I used to weigh myself everyday… Sometimes even twice a day! πŸ™‚

It is 20:30 in Denmark now. I brushed my teeth and is knitting on the sofa and soon on my way to bed. yes I sleep really early. Today first time ever I am below 500kcal! 465! I cut up one whole cucumber as snack which is only 40kcal for one whole cucumber. That really helps. I must say that, with an empty stomach, the cucumber taste so fresh and sweet that I never know before!! πŸ™‚ I am one happy lady today

I used to weigh myself quite often, but if I gained anything I would be too discouraged. And my weight can fluctuate as much as 3 pounds a day, no matter what I eat. I discovered years ago, if I just weighed once a month (usually on the first) it would be an accurate reading of my real weight. It works pretty well for me πŸ™‚

Wow so many people doing three fast a week, I take my hat off to you, I couldn’t do three fasts!
    I weigh myself once a week on a Friday after my second fast of the week. I used to weigh every day but it was making me anxious so I stopped.
    Welcome Deanibo nice to see new people here.

hi everyone – it’s so good to read these posts. today is fast day..always a bit difficult for me at work with so much junk food…candy galore – ugh !
    but I am staying strong.
    hey if anyone is having trouble getting their “nutrition in” on their fast days
    let me know – email me at virginialu@aol.com I have a really great recommendation.

I have decided to do 3 fasts this week too. Yesterday was easy, I only had 350 calories and wasn’t hungry at all. Today I am going to try for no food, I know others do it so I am going to give it a go. I might fail but I want to see if I can do it.
    Wish me luck x

Another fast over and went well. Tried a different method yesterday – had nothing all day then a weight watchers ready meal about 7pm. Was surprised as didn’t feel overly hungry during the day. I’m only having about 370cals on a fast day,does anyone know if that’s bad for you or not? Normally have 2 tins of soup instead of having to cook and work out calories. I also don’t eat until about 10am so fasting for about 40 hours. Would love to know how everyone else goes about a fast day. Good luck everyone fasting today

Hi Alison 370cals is fine its even fine to eat nothing on fast days some people do this. My fast days are always the same i eat nothing all day getting by on water and coffee then for dinner i have a tin of soup and a yogurt some days an apple. This works for me πŸ™‚

This works for me also. I seem to be less hungry if I don’t eat anything during the day. But I know that if I do get hungry, I can eat as long as I stay within by 500 calories.

Does anyone else not feel hunry the day after a fast? I did my fisrt fast of the week yesterday and usually my second would be tomorrow but I’m not hungry. I haven’t eaten today at all, just my usual tea drinking.
    I know it’s perfectly fine to have two consecutive fast days but I just wanted to find out of anyone else wasn’t hungry.

Im not overly hungry the day after fasting all i have eaten today is a bowl of cereal around 1pm. Will have stirfry for dinner im not fasting today but i dont think i will even get to even 1000cals. I think our bodies are getting used to only wanting food when we need it πŸ™‚

I fasted yesterday and stayed just under 500 calories and went for a run. Was planning on fasting again today but it hasn’t happened!! With my dinner I won’t have had more than 1,000 I don’t think. Going for another run tonight and planning on fasting Thursday!

Thanks kirsty. I’m not overly hungry the day after fasting either and couldn’t even finish my Sunday roast the other day – unheard of in the past!!

I must say my portion sizes have reduced significantly, I’m very pleased with that as I tend to be greedy rather than a snacker. I’m no hungrier after a fast day than usual.

Help. How are you all so good on nom fast days – I nearly find them harder!!

Hi all, it’s not just me then.

I’ve now discovered that when I do get hungry I should only eat something small to ward off the hunger and then if I’m still hungry to have another something small. I ate a bowl of flavoured couscous last night when I got home and I suffered from terrible bloating.

Janpartly, My portion sizes have gotten a lot smaller too. I tend to use a smaller plate or a cereal bowl to make the amount about right. My stomach can’t take a full plate but my brain still thinks I want a full plate. As I remember my mother always said I had “eyes biggger than my belly”

6 pounds down in total now!! So happy. My aim is to have lost 7 by Sunday, so one more pound! Hope everyone has a great day

Hi Myyear,
    I don’t know how everyone else does it, I know a lot of people don’t like counting calories on their non-fast days but I do it religiously. I have a spread sheet that I fill out the amounts and calories throughout the day. I’ve set it up n a weekly basis so that I can see what my deficit for the day/week are, it also means that if I go over on one day I can easily make up for it.
    My thinking is that if I do this while still trying to LOSE weight when it comes back to maintaining I’ll have spent long enough counting calories that it will all be in my brain for automatic portion/calorie control. I’ve over-eaten for a long time so my mental portion control is a bit off.

Well done Lusherx, I’m sure you’ll make that extra lb by Sunday, fingers crossed

Feeling a bit demotivated this week, still stuck at 10.10 as of this morning. When I fasted in Jan last year I lost 8 pounds in 4 weeks. This Jan it’s been week 1, lost 3 pounds, week 2 lost 2 pounds, then week 3 gained 1 pound and week 4 stayed the same.

I know the answer to this is not giving up – I gave up last year and really regretted it, but it’s hard to look forward to fasting when you feel like you’re not getting anywhere with it!

So I had a fast day on Monday, then yesterday I went out for dinner with some colleagues. Luckily the portions weren’t so big (it was a French restaurant!) but I had a salad starter followed by steak and a small portion of fries and then (well I really fancied it!) a chocolate fondant with a small scoop of icecream! No bread though and only half a glass of wine as I was driving. I really enjoyed it (which is what I think life should be about!) and so today I thought ‘how about another fast day this week to compensate?’ – so I’m fasting again today and will try to do it also on Thursday. If I find I can’t do that, no worries, I’ll just be careful with what I do eat. I’d like to think that this is the way not only to lose the excess weight but also (and this actually for me has been more difficult in the past) to maintain it! It certainly would be great to enjoy an odd meal out without thinking I’d blown it for the week and feeling bad about it. I haven’t had breakfast this morning (just a cup of tea which I really can’t do without first thing!) and actually I don’t feel hungry. Am drinking lots of water throughout the day and will have something small at lunchtime and likewise this evening. If I can do 2 days back to back it will make me feel confident, knowing I can do it again if/when I feel the need. This is easier (so far!) than I thought it would be – particular as I love my food, have liked sizeable portions most of the time and have a bit of a sweet tooth!! So let’s see how this week goes .. fingers crossed …

Oooh just seen this article in the Guardian if anyone is interested

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2015/jan/27/fasting-facts-is-the-52-diet-too-good-to-be-true?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

It seem we’re on the right track πŸ˜€

Thank you Mamie Muse, the article you attached is very interesting.
    I am slightly peeved today as I seem to have gained 2lbs – not happy. However, I am fasting today and am determined to keep going. I know weight fluctuates during each day/week so am hoping by being good today and fasting again on Friday I may see some shift by the weekend. Slow progress here…………….

Hello everyone πŸ™‚ Mamie i also count calories on non fast days i have an app in my phone so its easy i hope one day i wont have to count but at the moment i have no idea how many calories are in foods so i need to so i can keep track and stay under my TDEE. Im fasting today goin good so far dont feel hungry at all πŸ™‚ weigh in tomorrow excited to see what the scales say.

Salad days try not to weigh yourself everyday put them away i have put my scales in my wardrobe they only come out on weigh day because i know if they where in the bathroom i would jump on everytime i was in there so out of sight out of mind πŸ™‚

I’m fasting today, and I managed my “semi-fast” yesterday too. I’m trying to make up for the rubbish I ate over the weekend.
    I was weak yesterday because the scales were looking at me in the bathroom, but they told a happy story. I’m not going to get overly excited though because my official weigh-in is tomorrow (and that’s the only one that counts on my reward scale).
    Which app do you use? It could be useful when I’m out and about.

I use my Net Diary its great and you can scan barcodes aswell so it makes calorie counting easy peasy. Its also i good way to track your weight loss too

The Fat Secret app is quite good and easy to use.

Very unhappy today. πŸ™

Today is my fast day as there is business lunch tomorrow. I was good until 17:00 with 250kcal left. And I already planned a salad for dinner. I competely forgot that my father in law will drop by tonight πŸ™ not only I forgot to prepare dinner (bad daughter in law) and we ended up have to order pizza. πŸ™ I ate only one slice to reduce the damage but that’s definitely over my limit. So unfair as I have been so good and have wish for a good lose this week.

Worse thing is that I already have arrangement from tomorrow until Sunday. There are no chance that I can fit in another fast day… I am really sad now. Arghh

I use lifesum app. They have diet to choose and they have this 5:2 diet. So they automatically “remind” you your fast day limit is 500kcal πŸ™‚

But honestly I nearly don’t need the app to count calorie. Having counted calorie since my teenager time, I really have them in mind. On non fast day, I can be quite confident that I am around my TDEE, not precise but at a range of 200-300 tolerance which I think is ok. πŸ™‚

On fast day, there are only 500 to consume. I don’t need an app to help me count πŸ˜‰ I almost remember each one of them by heart haha!!!

I make an approx calculation on my phone to ensure I don’t go over my tdee. I know lots of people don’t want this to be a diet as such, but for me until I reach my goal that’s exactly what it is. I hope along the way to learn to control portion sizes and make good choices. When I am maintaining I will relax more and try to find a way to make it a life long comitment without counting calories.I heard a lady on the TV saying even when people keep a food diary they still under estimate by 20% the amount of food they are consuming.

Thanks all. I’ll get a bit more or a organised I think. I wasn’t great for the last two days but fasting tomorrow – onwards and upwards!

Gerrystar – I checked out the lifesum app, but they charge you $ to upgrade to the 5:2 diet on the app. πŸ™

I use myfitnesspal app – it’s free (but doesn’t offer diets like lifesum does)

also it takes into consideration any exercise you input and it adds the calories. I prefer to not eat the calories I have burned though.

Good Morning everyone. Weigh day for me and im so happy πŸ™‚ 3lb off this week taking total weight loss from 5 January to 1 stone!!!!!!!! Im delighted another 18lb to go. Id also like to celebrate this being the longest i have ever stuck to a diet and im loving it πŸ˜‰ good luck to anyone else weighing today

Well done kirsty! A stone in less than 4 weeks is incredible. I’m enjoying doing this as well and am finding my portion sizes are getting smaller naturally. I also realised last night that I’ve had no chocolate since Friday and don’t want any – what’s that all about…… Good luck everyone fasting today

Kirsty that is brilliant!! Well done x

Wow, Kristy!!!! A stone in 4 weeks! That’s really great! Now I really have to pull myself together! The trick is just bring good to stay within 500kcal and TDEE?? πŸ˜‰

Thankyou everyone. Yes Gerry thats all there is to it i have never went over 500 on fastdays and only went over my TDEE once but only by a little.

I am so motivated by you Kristy!!! I gotta pull myself together!

Do you think that on fast day, you go empty stomach whole day and eat only dinner is contributing too?

I have no idea Gerry i would think that 500caks a day is the same if you eat it in one meal or spread it out. Everyone will lose weight differently im 28 so still got a quicker metabolism on my side i guess.

Woohoo! Weighed in at 94kg this morning (that’s over a lb less than it was on Tuesday). I have lost (so far) 7kg/15lbs 7 oz. I am so happy and just hope I can keep it up.

Still 29kg to go but I am loving this “diet”

Well done Mamie thats great:) πŸ™‚

Great loss Mamie. πŸ™‚

Kristy… Ahh… Young.. That’s probably a thing that I can’t work on. πŸ˜‰

Lol Gerry πŸ˜€ I was curious myself about how sifferent people doing the same thing lose weight at different speeds it seems age is a huge factor which i didnt know before. So at least you can now feel better about your weight loss so far because the only reason i have lost more is my age πŸ™‚

Viewing 50 posts - 451 through 500 (of 740 total)

You must be logged in to reply.