Starting Again

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Entwife 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

• Hi everyone.

So I tried for one week a couple of weeks back. It went well. I just didn’t keep it up and fell off the bandwagon.

I looked at myself in the mirror and thought; this really has got to change. So I am starting again tomorrow and will fast Mondays and Wednesdays. I plan on skipping breakfast, having salad with chicken for lunch and soup/something small for dinner.

I have also signed up to the gym, and am going to attend group exercise classes (Bodycombat, bodypump and bodyattack) 2/3 times a week. I found I really enjoyed group exercise classes when I was losing weight in my gap year because I try so much harder in them compared to a gym session.

I have taken a before picture, and will take weekly photos to check my progress. I’ll post them when I feel brave enough! 🙂

So, about me;

– 5 foot 4
    – About 11 and a half stone (haven’t weighed myself in a while, this probably is higher)
    – Size 14/16

I have a christmas party at work I would like to look good for which is in about 8 weeks. But ultimately, I would just like to lose weight (about two and a half stone), be back in my size 10 jeans, make healthy food choices and generally be a happier healthier me.

If anyone has any tips on starting again please let me know! I will update in the next following weeks! 🙂

Hi Calannra!
    Welcome back to the FD 🙂 I followed the FD for almost 4 months and fell off the bandwagon for a good 3 months until I restarted in August (still at it now).

The things that started me off again and keep me going are:
    1. Buying weightloss magazines once a month, reading others’ stories and cutting out recipes to stick in my scrapbook.
    2. My scrapbook – I have mini weightloss targets, rewards for hitting those targets, motivational quotes and recipes in there. I love it!
    3. Logging everything on MyFitnessPal – including 1/2lb losses etc. Every little helps!
    4. Fitbit – I have a fitbit flex that counts my steps/activity/calories burned. It keeps me on target because I feel like I HAVE to reach my targets every day!
    5. I also take a picture every month – Looking back through them, it is so amazings to watch my body changing!

Anywho, I find those things to be motivational. 🙂 There might be something there that helps?

Good luck, happy fasting 🙂 xx

Hi! Thank you, you’ve got some great tips! 😀

First fast day today! I skipped breakfast and had a chicken salad at lunch. Drank mostly water (had one black coffee) and I’m not too hungry so I’m going to skip dinner!

Just been food shopping and I’m getting excited at planning my meals for fast days and also non-fast days.

Tomorrow is a normal day. I’m planning on having a porridge with a spoonful of nutella for breakfast. I have some beetroot, carrot sticks, tomatoes and olives for snacking at my desk. For lunch I’m having a stuffed burrito and for dinner I’m going to have a chicken stir fry. Sounds like loads compared to today! But hopefully will be burning a few calories from my bodycombat class tomorrow evening!

I’m excited. I’ve heard it takes around 6 weeks to create a new habit. I’m hoping after a successful first week of fasting, healthy eating and exercising I’ll be motivated to continue! Perhaps with an odd naughty snack here and there.

Roll on tomorrow!

Today was good! Good points…

Breakfast was porridge with a spoonful of nutella.

Snacked on carrot sticks, olives, tomatoes and beetroot.

Lunch was a beef burrito with rice from work canteen.

Dinner was a chicken and brown rice stir fry.

I was super tempted to have another plateful of dinner, but I popped it straight into a tuppawear dish for lunch/dinner later in the week! 🙂

Bad points…

I didn’t go to my gym class… I made excuses for myself, and in all honesty I was super tired/cranky from work. I’m going to try go to another after work (I finish at 7pm) but I think going in the mornings before work may suit me better. Unfortunately they don’t do many gym classes before I start work, so will have to plan a good gym routine.

Fast day tomorrow!! I’m actually looking forward to it, is that normal!?

Planning on having a salad for lunch and something small for dinner. But we’ll see. I’ll be keeping some carrot sticks at my desk for when I get hunger pangs..

Does anyone else drink green tea on fast days? I always need a bit of sugar in my teas and coffees, but don’t need anything sweet for green tea.

Bring on tomorrow! 🙂

Second fast day done!!

I’m not entirely sure if it was 500 calories, as I’m trying not to get too obsessed with how many calories I’ve eaten.

I skipped breakfast, had my leftover stir fry for lunch and a jelly pot for dinner/dessert.

I’m CRAVING some food and my boyfriend is currently making a curry!! Just need to remind myself I can eat normally tomorrow!!

I’m feeling good. I know its only my 2nd fast but i’m feeling quite sharp and buzzing. I haven’t had any headaches or felt dizzy.

Looking forward now for the rest of the week 🙂

First fasting week done! 🙂

I didn’t find the fasts too bad. However next week I am going to make sure I eat exactly around 500 calories as I didn’t know how much I had eaten this week on fast days.

I’m also going to try and eat near me TDEE (which I will work out after posting this!). Friday was a bad day!! I had 6 mini chocolate m&s bites (someone from work was leaving and brought in chocolate… evil!), a pulled pork baguette with chips for lunch, pizza and chips for dinner and 5/6 gin and tonics… Probably 2/3 days worth of calories in one!!! Terrible!!

I think I’m planning on skipping breakfast tomorrow, maybe lunch and having a chicken stir fry for dinner without noodles. I’ll try work out the calories on MyFitnessPal.

I’m also going to gym it 3/4 times next week! Need to work on a routine!

I don’t have scales, so I couldn’t say how much weight I have lost this week. I’ll have to invest in some 🙂

I’ve worked out my BMR and TDEE…

I put myself down at 12 stone and said I was sedentary…

BMR is = 1507 calories

TDEE = 1808

So I’ll aim at eating near to my TDEE on non-fast days and exercising more on them too 🙂

Hi calannra!

Well done for getting back on the wagon! 5:2 really does work if you stick at it!

Sounds like you have had a reasonable week….even allowing for pulled pork baguettes, minirolls and G&Ts!!!….We all have days like that once in a while!

Using an app to track your calories is a terrific idea. I use one on my KindleFire – and it really does focus your mind on how much you eat.

If you haven’t got scales you can always pop to Boots or even your local chemist and get weighed there….but remember scales are only one weigh of monitoring your progress.

Good luck in the coming week!

Hi Calannra
    Just to say well done on the first week of your new phase of 5:2. You sound very motivated and as though you are working out what you need to do to get the most from it.

Just my view, but I wouldn’t focus too much on weight per se – keep the overall health benefits in mind as well. A monthly weigh-in (at the gym?) would be plenty; and means you won’t get disheartened by the occasional ‘plateau’ in weight loss, which everyone seems to report. It’s lovely when the clothes get looser, though!

Take care and good luck for week 2!

Thanks guys! 🙂 Lovely to hear positive feedback from others doing the same as me 😀

Fast day today.. It could have been better. I had a small salad for lunch and a chicken and vegetable stir fry (no sauce, no noodles) for dinner and left half for lunch/snack tomorrow.

I will make sure to weigh myself at the gym Bootsy Badger, thats a good idea 🙂

I think for my fast day on Wednesday, I will have a low-cal ready meal for dinner, just so I know exactly how many calories I’m eating.

Bodycombat class tomorrow!! I’m really looking forward to it! 🙂

Today went really well!!

I ate nothing until just now – an M&S ‘count on us’ pizza which was 345 calories. I added a few extras, some mushrooms, peppers and a tad more cheese and it was delicious. 🙂

I think I may have to have that for dinner again!

Non-fast day! 🙂

Porridge with a spoonful of nutella for breakfast (my naughty treat)

Salmon spring roll with a crunchy salad for lunch

Probably another stir fry for dinner (its all I have in at the moment!)

Because I get in around 7.30/8pm mon-fri, I find I can’t really be bothered to cook anything. Surprisingly I havent gotten into my old ‘i’ll just grab a take-away’ habit yet 🙂

Does anyone have any good quick, healthy and easy recipe ideas for dinners? 🙂

Hi calannra! 😀 It is just so motivating to read how you’re getting on with it – you sound really enthusiastic! Lovely! I have just started again (on my 3rd week) after a 2 month (idiotic) hiatus after tons of success in the beginning of the year. Feeling healthier and slimmer already!

As for an easy, quick and healthy meal I can suggest steamed cod and my favourite veggie dish:

First up: Steam the cod in the oven with a little water in your steaming tray. Normally it needs about 20 minutes, but ovens do vary, so remember to check it!

(About 225 g cod seems to tide me over, but I do always save all my calories for an evening meal on fast days.)

In a non-stick pan pour in half a tsp of oil, let it heat a bit and tumble in a clove or two of garlic (pressed or cut into small pieces) and a few roughly sliced red onions (I love red onions, so always have three medium/large sized ones) plus a whole squash cut into quarters, and let it all fry until the squash is sort of see-through. Then you add as many cherry tomatoes as you like and finish off with a few handfuls of fresh spinach! Serve at once; it is absolutely divine… (I suggest sprinkling a little sea salt on top as well to bring out the flavour!)

(If you’re not the only one eating, I’d double the ingredients.)

Including prep-time, this dish normally takes just under 30 min for me! It is also a fab dinner on a fast day… Very low in calories and high in protein.
    On a non-fast day, you can swap the cod for salmon or another oily fish and add some garlicky cous cous! Delish x

Hope it helped xx

Thank you! That sounds delicious!! I think I’ll try that tomorrow, but have salmon instead 🙂

Fast day tomorrow! Week three!! 🙂

I haven’t yet weighed myself, but will do once I’m at the gym. I think im over-indulging at the weekends though 🙁 has anyone else experienced this?

I also will make sure I make an effort to go to the gym next week!! 🙂 Although I have no idea what I should be doing at the gym. I’m quite unfit, and would love to increase my stamina and general fitness.

I’m planning on not eating anything until dinner tomorrow! Dinner will be salmon with veggies 🙂

Yay, happy to help! 😀 Salmon is by far my favourite fish, so I totally understand! 😉

Happy third week! 🙂 Just finished my third week and have had my third fast day this week today, Sunday, and as usual haven’t had anything before dinner which was reheated glass noodles (as per the show Trust Me I’m A Doctor with Dr Mosley where they discovered that reheating refrigerated pasta caused a 50% drop in its effect on blood sugar!) with 500g wok veggies and 200 g cod in a dry, non-stick pan and then topped with sweet chili sauce, my best friend when wokking it up! 😀

Oh I am all too familiar with overindulging… I am the bloody queen of overindulging, mate! 😀 I’ve overeaten (by at least 1000 calories each time) on 3 out of my four non fast days this week – yikes. All of those calories were spent on chocolate………
    So yeah, I’m with you on that gym! But I’ll just bike to uni every day as usual and fit in some HIIT 😀
    ooh, gyms are both lovely and dreadful – you can do so much if you’re aware of those possibilities… Most places offer a free introductory chat with a trainer (some places also do a body analysis, but I’d never do that!) so maybe you could try that and get an idea of what to do? 🙂 Doing a bit of dynamic warm up on the elliptical followed by bicep curls, squats, and HIIT on the bike would be my best advice! And then loads of brisk,
    outside walking for weight loss and general health… Plus for your brain! 😉
    I can recommend acquiring some audiobooks – you’ll walk for hours! In the spring, I walked about while listening to Stephen Fry’s reading of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and ended up walking for 2,5-3 hours, covering close to 20 km, without thinking! Hilarious. My legs were a bit sore the day after, mind you 😀

Hope you’ll have a lovely fast day 🙂 I’ll tuck in now.
    Alex xx

What brilliant tips!! Thank you! I also watched the Trust me I’m a Dr too… I found the reheating your food part really interesting!

So I walked 2 miles to work yesterday and today 🙂 Today wasn’t so bad food wise…
    – Breakfast = porridge with a spoonful of nutella
    – Lunch = seafood paella
    – Nothing for dinner. I was too stuffed from lunch!

I’m planning on running into work tomorrow 🙂 I’m seeing some university friends this weekend, which most definitely will be boozy and fast-food loaded. So I’m going to try my best with tomorrows fast, but not worry too much if I go over 500 calories, as I’m planning on doing alternate day fasting next week to make up for the boozy weekend 🙂

Hi guys 🙂

So I’ve had a huge think about my 5:2 journey, and I think it may have to end.

Heres why;

– I get very down on fasting days. I never look forward to them (maybe once or twice, but rarely!!).

– I love food. Food makes me happy! Calorie counting doesn’t work for me, stresses me out and upsets me.

So instead, I’m still going to be fasting, but instead of 500 calories twice a week, I’m going to give the ‘one meal a day’ plan a go. As I usually skip breakfast, and prefer to have a nice dinner. I’ll let you know how it all goes 🙂

Oh, that’s too bad, C. Everyone is different, and I think it’s positive (and important) that you listen to your body and yourself. Who knows – you might get spurred on to 5:2 after trying one meal a day? 😉 But it does sound interesting with your new plan – please follow up on how it goes! 🙂

Alex x

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply.