Should I Eat Meat? Documentary

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
Should I Eat Meat? Documentary

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Pattience 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• I watched Michael’s documentary last night, and was very surprised and disappointed at the way they looked at meat consumption in isolation, rather than in the context of overall diet. Wouldn’t it be reasonable to suppose, for example, that people who eat a lot of red and processed meats – something we have been discouraged from doing for decades on health grounds – are probably not the most health-conscious people and are likely to be eating all kinds of other unhealthy foods. How many people eat bacon and burgers with a large side salad? I know some people do, but I’d be willing to bet that the majority of burgers are eaten sandwiched in a large white bun, with chips on the side and washed down with a fizzy drink.
    Michael – isn’t it time to shine the spotlight on refined carbs and sugars???

Hello StraR,
    I agree 100% that the focus of healthy eating needs to be put on complex carbs and refined sugar. I don’t see ‘meat’ as the enemy but the foods that usually accompany them certainly need to be investigated. I do actually eat salad with meat and only during sparkling water but I know where you are coming from. My friend with long term IBS has just stopped eating any sugar based foods and found her symptoms have disappeared, this is after every other diet restriction including meat, coffee, wheat, dairy and gluten. Two months free from misery.
    Who else agrees, Or disagrees ?

I can’t remember this part of the show but i think the main point of the show was to educate about fasting issues. You can’t expect him to focus on everything. Besides others are doing that and we should all keep looking beyond one diet guru for our advice and information.

Have you seen the latest catalyst show – Gut Reaction. Watch that its on youtube. At first i didn’t realise it was available there. The upshot is eat more fibre, a lot more. Its amazing and it will help with IBS too and asthma and many other health problems apparently. Probably not food intolerances but who knows in the long term it may do.

I am not sure what you mean by sugar-based foods. Do you she quit refined sugar. So have i. I don’t have any health issues so i don’t actually feel any different but it has helped me lose weight and my appetite is firmly in control now. It was out of control before. Totally!.

The book i’m currently reading makes the excellent point that fat + sugar is a problem and so is fat + salt. But i also had a problem with lollies which were low or no fat and just a lot of sugar. But foods with all these things going on lead to out of control appetite for that type of food. That book is called The End of Overeating by Kessler. Written in about 2008 i think. I am sure it will be filled with lots of other good ideas and insights as it has started off so well.

BAck to my quitting sugar: These are my rules and they work extremely well for me.

Day to day basis at home, no sugar. Just fruit. No artificial sweeteners either. No honey or syrups. These are also primarily pure sugar. I needed to get used to eating unsweet foods. And it didn’t take me long either. Fruit gives me enough sweetness but does not cause me to overeat. Honey does in the same way that sugar does.

But this is not a total abolishment of desserts and things like that. My rules allowed me to have those foods in low risk situations. For me these are: when out from home and maybe at a friend’s place and i’m offered something. Then i can have it but i can not ask for it. i have to be offered. And then i can only have one serve, however small it is.

I can also have dessert if i go to a restaurant with other people. I don’t actually go to restaurants very often. But this enables me to have super delicious foods when they are available and not feel deprived.

If i’m at a party or buffet situation, and these are the hardest, i can have something if i can limit myself to one serve of one type of dessert only. This was tough at two recent events and if i was not able to cope, i would ban eating anything at these types of situations. I had xmas pudding with whipped cream but I had to forgo pavlova which is one of my all time favourites.

I can drink wine and other alcohol. Also because soft drink is not a problem for me. I can drink that. But i hardly ever do. I’d only really drink it mixed into a beer or if in an extremely hot and thirsty situation. But if it was a problem ditto alcohol, i would include these foods.

Come xmas i will have another set of restrictive rules to help me get through without triggering a binge or end of my diet. Travelling will also have special rules that enable me to sample local delights but not to lose control. probably a maximum of one a day and only serve of a new food just to know what it is. But i will fine tune those ideas the closer i get to such a situation.

About 4 months in from the beginning of my diet, i reintroduced some dried fruit. The idea was to bring back lovely healthful things like dried figs and fresh dates. But not to start pigging out on sultanas and stuff like that. Again only a serve of one or two pieces maximum. If i found i was starting to want to eat more, i’d have to reign that idea right in too. I don’t eat these every day by any means.

Now this month, after about 8 months into my diet and having eaten normal dessert (biscuits, cakes etc) only 6 times this year, i’ve started an experiment with sugar free desserts. I haven’t made many yet but i did make a delicious high fat pine nut tart. It included lots of butter, almond meal, pine nuts, sultanas in the pastry instead of sugar, Just 1 tbsp, and glace ginger. The ginger is what make this thing so delicious as it is quite sweet. But instead of a normal slice of tart, i halved the recipe to start with and then cut it all into bite sized pieces. I only ended up eating about 6 pieces i guess in total and gave the rest of way to others to try. I was a bit disappointed when my dad cleaned up the last 8 pieces all in one go though. lol. AGain i would not eat more than 1 piece per day.

Tonight i want to make sugar free apple crumble. Another member here gave me the idea. Normally in crumble i put oats, brown sugar, butter, flour, walnuts and currents. Time time i will leave out the brown sugar but keep everything else and it with natural yoghurt. I do not put any sweetener in stewed fruit except rhubarb where its essential otherwise inedible, but again not too much.

I don’t have sugar on my porridge and i still love it. At first i used to add a pinch of sugar to the mixture and a pinch of salt but i stopped that.

I still put a pinch of sugar in any tomato based sauces for pasta and the like because it needs to tone down the horrible acidity of the tomatoes.

There is zero risk for me if i put put sugar in any savoury dish so long as it stays savoury. I would never put sugar in a salad dressing except if it was for a thai salad dressing because to get the proper flavours of thai food, one must add sugar. But again these foods would not cause out of control eating behaviours.

People should make up their own rules and principles to live with sugar by. I read an good article not along about how everyone should limit themselves to 6tsp of sugar per day.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.