reversing type 2 diabetes & the fastday lifestyle

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
reversing type 2 diabetes & the fastday lifestyle

This topic contains 854 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  PeonyLover 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 861 total)

• coucous

welcome home sweety πŸ˜‰

thanks 4 the links

however, i’m now @ peace

finally, i understand my body/diseases/diabetes &

fasting all by these lecture videos below & 4 the first time
    i know by fasting that i will b svelte & reversed my type2 diabetes. this is no longer an experiment
    4 me.it is now a given it is now done in my mind. (what a releif) thus just start & it will happen

β™₯ruthiβ™₯ & most of all

think this should b required viewing because it clarifies so much

would luv ur critical view

dr fung even has the book & video on his site
    however, he explains as a practicing dr helping his 100 miligram insulin patients by reversing insulin resistance & more importantly diabetes

there is nothing 2 buy he just luvs research & practices his research

this a great marriage of these 2 men it enhances dr mosley’s views

i hope michael watches these videos it might help him in his cholesterol which he is now having problems which on another video from australia

i’m putting everything 2gether 4 u in this post
    plus i will not b frequently on this forum since my leave of absence is over in nov. i really enjoyed contributing & reading on this forum

so enjoy

The Aetiology of Obesity Part 1 of 6: A New Hope
    γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpllomiDMX0&list=TLh_v240JSYBSM_dYl1QTbu5Ko9riryZ9s
    The Aetiology of Obesity Part 2 of 6: The New Science of Diabesity
    γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€
    γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dimP7IdM2Og&list=TLqRqUad1bekCjDL66Y6HWPbAhsyBoVeBt
    The Aetiology of Obesity Part 3 of 6: Trial by Diet
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbnshVO4PRM&list=TLS3LD7vDk0J4oR-ATWOXKj1fldC8mWkKR
    The Aetiology of Obesity Part 4 of 6: The Fast Solution
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG89j432w-Y&list=TLySn0eCWlFY9knr1KIEVevZPrt664X1c0
    The Aetiology of Obesity Part 5 of 6: Diet and Disease
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yoOx_7MLn0&feature=c4-overview&list=UUoyL4iGArWn5Hu0V_sAhK2w
    γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€
    The Aetiology of Obesity Part 6 of 6: Dietary Villains – Fat Phobia
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QetsIU-3k7Y&list=TLx-qDz6JW2_6LS81Z9-jCJEQGJZqQuv5A
    Insulin Toxicity and How to Cure Diabetes
    γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oZ4UqtbB_g
    γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€
    Dietary Villains – Part 2: Salt Scare
    γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAGrUwE8zpY&feature=c4-overview&list=UUoyL4iGArWn5Hu0V_sAhK2w

this video has caused an outrage by the people concerning the american association & the australian heart foundation

The Real Cause of Heart Disease
    October 25 16:24 in Failed low fat diets, Heart Disease, Saturated fat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rDVf-00w5gk

this video above i will repeat my sadness
    i’m so embarrassed that my country the usa
    who now seems 2 be greedy politically oriented murderers concerning our health
    they did/do not mind
    lying
    accepting a dr’s fudged/omitted intentionally research
    ignored the worlds scientific research data that was imploring how wrong they were & don’t do this 2 the population
    duped generations because of greed
    & still is duping us
    go 2 their site & they still promote lowfat
    have caused obesity
    diabetes
    heart diseases
    high blood pressure
    cancer
    & numerous deaths
    knew all along & still knows that sugar/stress is one of the biggest causes
    ugh

it is so sad that we r now paying w/ our health/lives
    because of their deceptions & will still
    unless
    we make our own informed decisions

dr fungs guides on what 2 eat on nonfastdays

What should I eat?

Foods to eat more of:

Blueberries Chia Seeds Cherries
    Avocados Fibre Olive Oil
    Flaxseed, Eggs, Vinegar
    Spices Cinnamon Nuts & nut butters
    Cheese Meat,fish, birds

β€’ Eat whole, unrefined, unprocessed foods
    β€’ Eat your carbohydrates with fibre/fiber
    β€’ Shop the edges of the supermarket
    β€’ Eat as much fruit as you would like, if unsweetened, except
    bananas and grapes

Foods to avoid:

β€’ Breads and everything else made with flour
    β€’ Cereals, including breakfast cereals and milk puddings
    β€’ Potatoes and all other root vegetables
    β€’ Foods containing much sugar
    β€’ All sugar sweetened beverages and beer
    β€’ Artificial sweeteners
    β€’ Fast foods
    β€’ Refined carbohydrates (flour, sugar, starches)
    β€’ Refined oils (vegetable oil except olive oil)
    β€’ Processed meats (sausage, lunch meats)

his link is http://kidneylifescience.ca/drjasonfung/

i wonder if ur newcastle guy knows him

can’t wait 4 ur opinion

& again welcome back

take care usa

β™₯ruthiβ™₯

thanks 4 everything concerning sprouts

“You can cook the bigger sprouts like mung beans, very quickly in boiling water, but why bother?”

agree, it’s like honey i’m home & dinner is made yay

take care

usa

β™₯ruthiβ™₯

but did u watch the video there r other causes 2 other than sugar
    The Real Cause of Heart Disease
    so far i have half of part 3

all of part 1 2 6 & diabetes cure

did u c @ 39 minutes all about the fasting

i know it sounds weird

but it really clicked
    nothing on fastdays
    just letting ur body feed on ur own fat
    & that it will be happy & healthy while doing that (gross)

weird visualization but i know deep down it’s true
    except 4 a small piece of apple or small serving of greens 2 take our meds w/
    & his bone broth sound delish

finally finally finally

will try 2 c all others

take care

usa

Ruthi-I’ve reserved Potatoes not Prozac at our library. Thanks for that! When I say addicted to sugar, I mean that even while knowing I want to NOT eat it I seem to sabotage myself, go into a kind of trance and consume, for instance, 5 or 6 “mini”
    Hallowe’en treats meant for the neighborhood kids. Of course I shouldn’t have them in the house, but my husband brought them, so…..
    USA please keep us updated on the forum about your progress after you return to work…..I really appreciate your enthusiasm and research.

mulville

thanks, however,
    it will not b as frequent. mayb u can take over after all we r twins right πŸ˜€

2 all

i would die if i did this. i know it’s free medical tests & advice
    but
    what if i was given the deadly diet which i think all our posters would figure out which one would kill me ugh

so which 1 will make it worse?

SUCCEED Study

The UCSF Osher Center seeks overweight, adults with Type 2 diabetes for a diet and wellness study.

Are you ready to make long-term diet and lifestyle changes to see if you can better manage your diabetes and lose weight? Do you have type 2 diabetes? Are you overweight? The UCSF SUCCEED study may be looking for you.

In the study you would learn about:

Nutritional changes to help you manage your diabetes.
    In the study you may also learn about:

Tools to help you enjoy your life and cope with stress.
    Techniques, such as meditation, to help you eat and live more mindfully.
    As a participant in the SUCCEED Study you would:

Participate in free online, self-paced diabetes wellness program.
    Get support in making long-term healthy lifestyle choices around diet.
    Learn the results of your lab tests for free.
    Complete several assessment visits over 8 months.
    Be compensated for study visits at 4 and 8 months.
    You will be randomly assigned (like a flip of a coin) to one of two diets:

A lower carbohydrate diet: The diet emphasizes eating non-starchy vegetables, fats, and proteins. You would completely avoid starchy and sugary foods. This is very similar to the first phase of an Atkins diet.
    A diet from the American Diabetes Association: The diet emphasizes eating high-fiber foods (such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and legumes), low-fat diary products, fresh fish, and foods low in saturated fat.
    All classes are held online. To participate, you may live anywhere convenient to:

a LabCorp location (where your blood will be drawn). Go to this website to see if there is a LabCorp lab is near you.
    a U.S. HealthWorks location (where your body measurements such as weight and blood pressure will be taken). Go to this website to see if there is a U.S. HealthWorks location near you.
    In either group, you will be asked to make dietary changes. You may be asked to complete about 15-30 minutes per day of home assignments. The home assignments may include monitoring your diet, meditation and other stress management techniques, as well as other activities to help support your lifestyle and dietary changes.

In addition to the classes, there are 3 required online and in-person assessment visits at LabCorp and U.S. HealthWorks locations over the course of the study at baseline, 4 , and 8 months. The assessments include blood draws to measure factors that may be affected by the intervention (for example HbA1c, cholesterol, etc.), body measurements (weight, height, waist, and blood pressure), and online surveys. The study lasts for a total of about 8 months.

For more information, read the CONSENT FORM.

You may be eligible if:

You are at least 18 years old.
    You are overweight (BMI of 25 and above, BMI Calculator available online).
    You have Type II diabetes.
    Your HbA1c > 6.5%.
    You do not use insulin or any diabetes medication other than metformin.
    To see if you may be eligible, please fill out the following survey.

For more information, you may call 415-514-8476.

http://www.osher.ucsf.edu/research/enroll-in-research-studie/succeed-study/

a dead usa ▄†

A bargain is only a bargain if you want it! Otherwise you are paying for something you don’t actually want.

That’s my motto when perusing Ebay or the Sales, but it works in this context too.

And no, not watched it yet – I have a business to run, and a floor to lay in my new study.

Where is the glue???????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfDjp39C9CQ&feature=youtu.be

Found this, it’s interesting but I haven’t had time to watch it all yet!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

dr fung answered me YAY

Hi USA – thanks very much for the kind words. I’m glad you found the series useful. The Aetiology of Obesity series is used in conjunction with a clinic I developed called the Intensive Dietary Management Program to help people take control of their weight/ diabetes issues through intensive dietary therapy instead of simply pushing drugs, drugs, and more drugs as many physicians tend to do.

For some of the patients taking drugs that require food, we’ve advised them to take it with a small salad or a piece of apple with skin on. Something to alleviate the symptoms. We have had a few patients develop some nausea/ vomitting on fasting days due to this exact issue. The worst offenders tend to be iron tablets and aspirin and non steroidal antiinflammatories (ibuprofen etc).

There are no strict rules in fasting. Dr. Mosley uses 500 calories on fasting days. However, the key regulator of both obesity and diabetes is insulin. More intensive fasting will reduce insulin faster and give quicker results. Less intensive regimens still benefit but results will take longer.

For those with a goal of only weight loss, I use a 1 meal/day rule which will be about 500 calories. However, meal timing is very important (see lecture #2). If you eat those calories spread throughout the day, this leads to persistent stimulation of insulin and insulin resistance. Therefore I recommend only 1 meal in that day. In fact, there are entire diets based on restricting the eating window of the day.

For instance, a book called the 8 hour diet suggests that you can lose weight by eating whatever you want, but only in 8 hours of the day. This provides the body with a 16 hour fasting period in which to prevent the development of insulin resistance.

For diabetics, who have more insulin resistance and higher insulin levels, I individualize treatment. Severe diabetes I ask them to start with a 5-7 day fast. Often I’ll then taper that to an alternate daily fast. This is a full day fasting – essentially zero calories for an entire day. That is the 36 hour fasting period. Because the diabetics have more severe disease, their treatment tends to be more intensive, in order to produce results.

If you have other questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Dr. Jason Fung

&

another yay yay yay

Hi USA – no I don’t tend to limit calories. Calories do not produce obesity. It is insulin that causes obesity. Carbs tend to raise insulin levels, but so does protein. I encourage a low carb, high fat diet for this reason. You could eat 5000 calories a day of high fat, natural foods and not gain any weight. You can see the experiment by Sam Feltham for that.

In your food choices, it is not how many calories that is important. The question is “What is this doing to my insulin levels?”

Dr. Jason Fung

do u guys have any questions 2 ask in my reply

what a nice person
    sigh

chrissien

welcome back still luv that french recipe site u gave

thanks will watch eventually still watching the dr fungs series

have u seen that?

merci or as my little brother used 2 say

mercy buckets πŸ™‚

Sighhhhhhhhhhhh……

Why aren’t all doctors like that? Or all men for that matter? Kind and courteous as well as intelligent.

I don’t generally develop crushes, but I could quite possibly make an exception for this one!

[I do hope he doesn’t turn out to beat his wife!]

β™₯ruthiβ™₯

“A bargain is only a bargain if you want it! Otherwise you are paying for something you don’t actually want.”

yes u r so right
    this
    i still feel this would have been deadly▄† i mean that is what we have been following!!!!

how is the biz doing is it now running smoothly?

β™₯is their 1 thing that is no longer stressing u
    on ur legitimate worries?β™₯

oooo what kind of floor?

take care don’t work 2 haaaard (u will probably tell me the same in nov on) πŸ˜€

β™₯ruthiβ™₯

i might finally join facebook just 2 read his page

https://www.facebook.com/jason.fung.313

β™₯ruthiβ™₯β™₯ruthiβ™₯β™₯ruthiβ™₯ !!!!!!!!!!

how could u say/write that!!!!!!!!!!!

based on his demeanor in the video of the diabetes cure where the drs r interrupting him
    i would say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! but u never know πŸ™

No I haven’t seen the Fung stuff but I fully intend to!

I have absolutely no evidence to suggest that he is other than delightful in every way.

Sadly I’ve known some utterly delightful men to be absolute monsters. But I am sure he is not one of them!

His facebook page is rather nice – a man who is not afraid of expressing his political opinions (I wish I understood more about North American Politics, but I have trouble enough finding time to follow Europe!)

Chrissie, you have to get in on the act – the intelligent woman’s beefcake!

USA what is your new job?

Oh ok! I will do my best to catch up on all the Fung stuff as soon as possible.

Oh, and stress is much better

Business not too bad, lost a couple of customers so pressures slightly less. But walker that had the twisted gut in summer has had her throat cancer return, and has been given months to live. Some folks have all the luck!!

Husband’s China trip delayed so he’s under less stress, and only working 9 or 10 hours a day now. Family all fine, they are all in France at the moment.

Broken ankle girl is on the mend, and fed a few cats for me. Girl I dismissed decided against going to court when I pointed out some hard facts of life. So not too bad all in all.

Floor is beautiful. Brushed and oiled oak. We are putting it down throughout the upstairs. I am even going to clad the staircase in oak! The dog that used to puke everywhere has died, but we still have dog hair tumbleweed everywhere, and I wanted to be able to sweep rather than try to hoover manky carpet in inaccessible places.

Rx

2 all

wrote back 2 our dr fungβ™₯β™₯β™₯β™₯β™₯ sigh if i were younger πŸ˜‰

Hi,

β˜…β˜…β˜…my answers will b interspersed through ur 2 replied emails with stars (many of them)

by the way thanks, 4 ur replies & going out of ur way
    ur emails have been posted on our site

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/reversing-type-2-diabetes-the-fastday-lifestyle/page/7/#post-15584 )

β˜…β˜…β˜…

Hi USA – thanks very much for the kind words. I’m glad you found the series useful.

β˜…β˜…β˜…we certainly have

however, i’m now @ peace
    finally, i understand my body/diseases/diabetes & fasting
    all because of ur lectures dr michael mosley fastdiet videos/books & 4 the first time
    i know that by fasting 0cals w/ just liquid broth/water
    i know deep down that i will b back 2 my svelte self & will reverse my type2 diabetes. this is no longer an experiment 4 me. it is now a given it is now done in my mind. (what a relief)
    thus i just started & it will happenβ˜…β˜…β˜…

The Aetiology of Obesity series is used in conjunction with a clinic I developed called the Intensive Dietary Management Program to help people take control of their weight/ diabetes issues through intensive dietary therapy instead of simply pushing drugs, drugs, and more drugs as many physicians tend to do.

β˜…β˜…β˜…Yes, I call those dr’s & the major part of the medical community
    the white coat mafia πŸ˜€ sigh it’s sad
    it is very hard 2 find a dr that is not that kind of person
    even my own dr is not interested after showing google scholar alerts/research he does not even have email ugh

example

refused statins
    because my dr who prescribed them
    asked me a terrifying question after taking them

& after being checked 6 months later he asked if i was an alcoholic & i said i don’t drink @ all. he said my liver looks like u r one”
    i said take me off this ugh
    i now take 2 niacins @ night & 1 magnesium a day based on my research & now approved by dr
    liver is great now!

still high cholesterol but might now live longer πŸ˜€

because of this video

part 1 The Real Cause of Heart Disease

have not watched this one below yet

Part 2 of ABC’s Heart of the Matter series – β€˜Cholesterol Drug War’ is now online:
    http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3881441.htm

however it has caused an uproar w/ the heart foundation in Australia people r not happy

personally i’m so embarrassed that my country the usa
    who now seems 2 be greedy politically oriented murderers concerning our health
    they did/do not mind
    lying
    accepting a dr’s fudged/omitted intentionally research
    ignored the worlds scientific research data that was imploring how wrong they were & don’t do this 2 the population
    duped a listening generation/s because of greed
    & still r/is duping us
    go 2 their site & they still promote lowfat
    have caused obesity
    diabetes
    heart diseases
    high blood pressure
    cancer
    & numerous deaths
    knew all along & still knows that sugar/stress is one of the biggest causes
    ugh
    it is so sad that we r now paying w/ our health/lives
    because of their deceptions & will still
    unless
    we make our own informed decisions

thanks dr fungβ˜…β˜…β˜…

For some of the patients taking drugs that require food, we’ve advised them to take it with a small salad or a piece of apple with skin on. Something to alleviate the symptoms. We have had a few patients develop some nausea/ vomiting on fasting days due to this exact issue. The worst offenders tend to be iron tablets and aspirin and non steroidal antiinflammatories (ibuprofen etc).

β˜…β˜…β˜…well don’t get me started on iron another white coat mafia dr said i should have that & lo & behold

my blood test showed 2 much iron ugh

or cut down salt & now i don’t have enough so i sprinkle some sea salt now

have not seen ur vid on that yet

now based on my research & doing a test on vitamin deficiencies (all clear yay)
    i would luv ur learned opinion or ur constructive criticisms will not take anything personally

these r the supplements i take
    & prescribed meds of course along w/ raw fruit & vegetables & walnuts/almonds/seeds/fish/meat/cheese
    our bodies r the best in transforming it in2 nutrition than supplements ( of course i’m going 2 have 2 reconsider the fish & cheese based on ur lectures)
    u can always read what i have been eating on that site

4 lowering cholesterol
    he prescribed statins then this expensive niacin
    no longer ugh
    i replaced it w/ a 5$ over the counter w/ slow releasing niacin called slo niacin 500 mg
    he wants me take an enteric coated aspirin 81 mg a half hour b4 because of the side effects (which is so so true) & twice @ night
    1 a day magnesium 400 mg

4 high blood pressure

prescribed
    1 enalapril 10
    1 hctz 25 mg
    my research
    red yeast rice 1200 mg 1 a day

4 diabetes

prescribed
    1 metformin morning & night 500 mg ( but based on ur lecture it sounds like
    januvia/dipeptidy peptidase-4 (dpp-4) inhibitors/saxagliptin (onglyza)
    sitagliptin (januvia)/linagliptin (tradjenta)
    u lose weight!!!! yippee!!!!!unless it is super super expensive)

my research 4 diabetes

2 a day garlic pills morning & night plus raw/cooked in food
    2 a day vinegar pills & in foods hard 2 drink :d
    1 d 2000 iu
    2 a day cinnamon extract 500 mg
    1 b100
    1 fenugreek

basic health supplements 4 health & while fasting
    kirkland mature multi
    kirkland omega 3 fish oil 1000 mg
    1 a month liquid coq10 (not sure about that one)

no vitamins e due to my dad’s experience & research
    plus no vitamin c calcium b12’s etcβ˜…β˜…β˜…

There are no strict rules in fasting. Dr. Mosley uses 500 calories on fasting days. However, the key regulator of both obesity and diabetes is insulin. More intensive fasting will reduce insulin faster and give quicker results. Less intensive regimens still benefit but results will take longer.

β˜…β˜…β˜…i’m a 5/4” & now 191 lbs 54 femme
    went from 218 lbs on 3/2/13 the mosley’s diet
    basically the 5/2 500 cal then 4/3 then 3nonfastdays/3fastdays/1 (1 means whatever i want as a type2diab i call it a feast day of if i feel like it sugarfree splenda chocolate atkins coconut bar
    or whole wheat sugar free monkfruit/stevia/xylitol pumpkin/cherry/peach/apple pie but 4 the 1st time in 10 yrs an actual chocolate bar w/ sugar because i read that a diabetic can have
    once & a while sugar that was 2 addictive ate the whole family bar

now when i did atkins a while ago i was 10 lbs overweight lost it very fast

he did not mind splenda or other sweeteners

what is ur philosophy/views/known results on this? (we have an ongoing discussion i no longer use any sweeteners either because of a poster ruthi on how any diabetic should never have anything sweet period not even sugarfree )

nonfastdays r
    carbcycling/mediterranean/lowcarbhighfat/alternatingvegetariandays figure i would get the most out of each diet but continuing the fasting 4ever.
    eventually getting 2 a 6/1 like dr mosleyβ˜…β˜…β˜…

For those with a goal of only weight loss, I use a 1 meal/day rule which will be about 500 calories. However, meal timing is very important (see lecture #2). If you eat those calories spread throughout the day, this leads to persistent stimulation of insulin and insulin resistance. Therefore I recommend only 1 meal in that day. In fact, there are entire diets based on restricting the eating window of the day.

β˜…β˜…β˜…I’m a 36 hour ++ faster &

I also do hiit

β€œThe Truth About Exercise” 28 February 2012
    γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€
    Michael Mosley investigates recent scientific research that could change the way people exercise, including a study that suggests many could benefit from just three minutes of high-intensity activity a week. He also discovers the health benefits of seemingly innocuous actions, such as walking and fidgeting, and learns why some people do not respond to exercise at all.
    THE TRUTH ABOUT EXERCISE
    http://vimeo.com/51836895

as a type2diab & wanting 2 lose weight 2
    till i’m @ 145 or 135 lbs
    of what i understand from u

i will be doing 0 cals except broth ( don’t understand why 2 caul the fat?)
    except as u said that
    i know it sounds weird/gross
    but it really clicked in my head/mind
    nothing on fastdays
    just letting ur body feed on ur own fat
    & that it will be happy & healthy while doing that (gross)
    weird visualization but i know deep down it’s true
    except 4 a small piece of apple or small serving of greens 2 take our meds

that is my biggest concern since taking these prescribed meds & supplements
    i have bouts of nausea/diarrhea ugh
    & with fasting even more especially while driving or now while typing 2 u
    yesterday i started ur 0calfastday @ 6 30 am had a small piece of organic apple washed it well in vinegar @ 9pm
    w/ meds only took all @ 9pm felt nauseas so ate the other piece of apple so actually had a half of a small apple instead of a small piece oh well sigh β˜…β˜…β˜…

For instance, a book called the 8 hour diet suggests that you can lose weight by eating whatever you want, but only in 8 hours of the day. This provides the body with a 16 hour fasting period in which to prevent the development of insulin resistance.

For diabetics, who have more insulin resistance and higher insulin levels, I individualize treatment. Severe diabetes I ask them to start with a 5-7 day fast. Often I’ll then taper that to an alternate daily fast. This is a full day fasting – essentially zero calories for an entire day. That is the 36 hour fasting period. Because the diabetics have more severe disease, their treatment tends to be more intensive, in order to produce results.

β˜…β˜…β˜…I don’t think u know how much help u have given w/ ur lectures I know it is going 2 b a life saver & finally finally something doneβ˜…β˜…β˜…

If you have other questions please do not hesitate to ask.

β˜…β˜…β˜… questions

how long or is till i get 2 my 135lbs?
    how 2 we maintain our weight & reversal?
    do we go 2 a 6/1?

may we do a 2day 0calfastday in a row
    simply because our body feels like it?
    or is it an adf the only way?

& what about exotic fruits & international foods?

like papaya mango kiwis watermelon cantaloupes
    snails venison kelp noodles eel lots of very hot spices bone marrow
    shell fishes lobster shrimp crab?

what about using a small amount of dates/or figs on my 1 feastday?

example

when i chopper/blend a date or fig in my avocado flaxmilk fresh coconut walnut concoction?

i always drink lemon water all day is that ok?

will u b having an intern making a newsletter 4 all?

should i worry about cholesterol?

do u have examples menus/recipes?

take care & again super thanks!!!!!!!!!!

on 2
    2nd emailβ˜…β˜…β˜…

Hi USA – no I don’t tend to limit calories. Calories do not produce obesity. It is insulin that causes obesity. Carbs tend to raise insulin levels, but so does protein. I encourage a low carb, high fat diet for this reason. You could eat 5000 calories a day of high fat, natural foods and not gain any weight. You can see the experiment by Sam Feltham for that.

In your food choices, it is not how many calories that is important. The question is “What is this doing to my insulin levels?”

β˜…β˜…β˜…was just concerned because i did not know if as a type2diab it would be different

yes i saw that

so does good insulin level foods = low glycemic loads foods because it is hard 2 monitor

c i was a super healthy slim person no sugar no diabetes in family all around
    except low fat whole grain bread pasta nothing white

i still got diabetes & gained weight & then just gave up still not eating sugar but basically gave up

until mosley & u dr. jason fung

Again thanks 4 saving my life

take care

usaβ˜…β˜…β˜…

2 all

what great timing just b4 i get back 2 work

will not b posting fastdays or nonfastdays

since 2 reverse a type2diab & 2 lose weight. things r different

NONFASTDAYS

I can have as many cals on nonfastdays as long it is (repeat 4 newbies) on this list

oops never saw second page whaaaaa πŸ™

What should I eat?

Foods to eat more of:

Blueberries Chia Seeds Cherries
    Avocados Fibre Olive Oil
    Flaxseed Eggs Vinegar
    Spices Cinnamon Nuts & nut butters
    Cheese Meat,fish, birds

β€’ Eat whole, unrefined, unprocessed foods
    β€’ Eat your carbohydrates with fibre
    β€’ Shop the edges of the supermarket
    β€’ Eat as much fruit as you would like, if unsweetened,
    except
    bananas and grapes

Foods to avoid:

β€’ Breads and everything else made with flour
    β€’ Cereals, including breakfast cereals and milk puddings
    β€’ Potatoes and all other root vegetables
    β€’ Foods containing much sugar
    β€’ All sugar sweetened beverages and beer
    β€’ Artificial sweeteners
    β€’ Fast foods
    β€’ Refined carbohydrates (flour, sugar, starches)
    β€’ Refined oils (vegetable oil except olive oil)
    β€’ Processed meats (sausage, lunch meats)

Rules from The Blood Sugar Solution

β€’ Take the following list and throw out all food in the pantry
    according to these rules:

β€’ Only have foods without labels in your kitchen

β€’ If a food has a label – it should have less than 5 ingredients

β€’ If sugar is on the label (organic cane juice, honey, agave, maple
    syrup, cane syrup or molasses) throw it out
    β€’
    Throw out any food with the word high fructose corn syrup

β€’ Throw out any food with the word hydrogenated on the label

β€’ Throw out any highly refined cooking oils – corn, canola, soy

β€’ Throw out any food with ingredients you can’t recognize or pronounce

β€’ Throw out any foods with preservatives, additives, coloring’s or dyes

β€’ Throw out foods with artificial sweeteners of any kind

If it came from the earth or a farmer’s field, it’s safe to eat

FASTDAYS HAVE 2 B ADF (ALTERNATIVE FAST DAYS)

& zero cals fastdays since my own fat is being eaten by my body & will be very healthy (that is still weird/gross UGH)

unless u want me 2 list all those high calorie days

SO NOW IT IS

happy adf0calfastdays & drfung’snonfastdays 4 me or anyone who will do this 2. anyone???

4 all others

happy nonfastdays & fastdays & 5/2 & 4/3 & 6/1 & adf or 4/2/1 or 3/3/1 or 5/1/1 or adf w/1 & the fdl (fastday lifestyle) πŸ˜€

starting nov 1st wish me luck!
    hope i can do this while working

4 now yippeeeeee!

(unless u want me 2 post those high cal days πŸ˜€ )

β™₯ruthiβ™₯

it’s just,
    as u saw in letter

i invited him 2 our topic/post/link

it will b a shock when he reads that
    don’t u think? πŸ˜‰

now my job is selling 2 large businesses
    insurance 4 their employees
    & speaking 2 the /owner/pres showing them creative ways of reducing the insurance they have w/ higher quality insurance & managed 4 less

this co has been in biz since 1835 which is nothing 2 a uk’er πŸ˜€ (actually i guess u don’t need ins u have government ins right how does that work? nust b nice πŸ™‚ )

i became super successful in florida thought i was going 2 early retire & travel the world
    since 2011 i lost everything & this is a very long sad story
    been building myself up since πŸ˜€
    then the curve balls & bombs came @ me from all directions
    sigh πŸ™

what does ur husband do if he goes 2 china?

take care β™₯ruthiβ™₯
    usa πŸ˜€

We have government insurance only for medical care and unemployment. As a business I have to pay all sorts of other insurances – employer liability, public liability, general liability, buildings insurance, vehicle insurance as well as paying for the state insurances. So we all have to insure one way or another.

Hubby is a design engineer. He designs (and builds) vehicle and transport test equipment. The Chinese government is setting up vehicle standards testing in a joint venture with his company and he is out there with a team installing a crash test rig. This rig will be used for impact testing of components, like bumpers and child seats, but he’s also designed full size rigs, where you crash an entire vehicle in various creative ways, and things like artificial limbs that are used on specialist dummies to test particular risks. He is a lucky man, they pay him to indulge his hobby (he’s been building things since he was 10!) and he never does the same thing twice!

Good luck in the new job USA – although I don’t think you will need it. Just take all that passion and enthusiam you brought here and you will FLY!

β™₯ruthiβ™₯

aaaaw what a sweetiepie
    what a great thing 2 say!! β™₯β™₯β™₯

wish me luck on my reversal

since i now seem 2 b the dinner/lunch/breakfast/snacks πŸ˜€

β™₯ruthiβ™₯

it sounds like ur hubby is doing the jobs he luvs

u must b proud!

β™₯ruthiβ™₯

glad 2 hear some of the stress is gone

however, having an employee w/ throat cancer & not living long that must b so so hard!!!

“I wanted to be able to sweep rather than try to hoover manky carpet in inaccessible places.”

the joy of a hardwood floor i have both carpet/ woodfloors πŸ˜€

my sis got me some mop shoes i think there great!!

now i slide across the wooden floors while listening 2 a book. by using our body it really makes it shine & it definitely takes out stubborn stains with my foot. best invention ever

more fun than a mop/swifter πŸ˜€ got 2 find more

take care β™₯ruthiβ™₯

usa

wooooohoooo wooohoooo woooohoooo

this is the 3rd time he replied & fast

that was so nice thanks dr fung!!!

Hi USA

1. Niacin – I do not recommend niacin. There were 2 large trials (AIMHIGH and HPS2-THRIVE)

http://www.jsonline.com/news/health/study-calls-niacin-into-question-as-cholesterol-treatment-vb928as-196694391.html

that showed no benefit and potential harm to use of niacin. I no longer prescribe this drug. Don’t waste your money.
    2. Magnesium – I think it is very important to supplement especially if you are on HCTZ

3. Salt – no need to restrict salt. best to use plenty of natural sea salt

4. Re: fish and cheese – while they may increase insulin, they are high quality sources of protein and fats and I would not restrict in any way.

5. Diabetes – best drug is metformin if you don’t have kidney disease. DPP4 also reasonable second choice. Very worst agent is insulin, second worst is sulphonyureas

6. all supplements you take are OK – would advise to try to get from natural foods instead – eg adding garlic, cinnamon to foods. increase oily fish intake rather than omega 3 etc.

6. I do not recommend any artificial sweeteners of any kind. While they do not contain calories or increase insulin, they may increase cravings for foods that are sweet. The bottom line is that replacing sugar with sweeteners does NOT result in weight loss. This study from NEJM proves it.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1203388

We can debate the mechanism but the bottom line result is that sweeteners are just as bad as sugar.

7. If you are not hungry – there is no reason to eat. That is your body telling you that you have sufficient nutrients. So, yes, if you want to fast for 2 days or 5 days or 7 days or 30 days – sure – go ahead. For longer that 1 week, I usually monitor people weekly in the clinic. that being said, there are many people who fast 7-30 days without any supervision.

8. any international foods are OK. Generally all natural foods are OK – fruits, vegetables, fish, meat. The toxicity lies in the PROCESSING, not the food. there are peoples who ate coconut and fish for 95% of their diet and were healthy. Our bodies are adapted to eating all foods in their natural form. Wheat is not natural – it is highly processed. Vegetable oils are not natural – highly processed.

9. I usually warn people to expect be on ADF for 1 year. It is not reasonable to try to reverse 10 years of diabetes in 2 months. For more intensive fasting it may be shorter.

10. Dates and figs tend to be high in sugars. They are acceptable in small amounts. while you are trying to lose weight and reverse diabetes, it may be wise to limit intake.

If I have forgotten anything, just ask me again.

Dr. Jason Fung

Oh WOW! All the answers, clear and concise. How nice of him to give you his time when there is no money in it for him!

Sorry you will have to give up the sweet stuff completely (and me too, so I know how hard) but we can do anything for a year, right? Mind you, I am not sure that I feel motivated to do ADF – but then I am pretty well at target weight, and no sign of diabetes despite my sugar abuse, so not desperate. But ADF does relieve one of any decisions for half the time, for a whole year, which would be a nice rest!

Are you going to start with a full fast for a little while?

How was work? Or are you still there?

So impressed with Dr Fung. Well done USA πŸ™‚

wooo hooo dr fung he replied 2 my 2nd email (c way below what i emailed him) this is now the 4th email he replied sigh

he is my guy β™₯β™₯β™₯β™₯ he really is helping me in what 2 incorporate on nonfasdays i 4 get who said it but nonfastdays is what is harder i think it was either speedy or mulville
    now cals don’t matter but low carb high fat & the foods 2 eat unlimited in his list in this topic/post

going adf 0 cals i really do prefer
    i was just scared that i was i going 2 hurt my body especially being a type2
    & since that is no longer the case 0 yay! this is better & very easy actually
    no counting/cooking no low cal
    just broth & water
    i can also fast a long time or not
    because as we know i’m the food 4 my body ewwww oh well if it brings me 2 my former svelte self yay yay yay still have a question on when i achieve 135 lbs what then?
    56 lbs 2 go

CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!1

REPLY FROM DR JASON FUNG

Why does it need to be air popped? Just don’t use vegetable oil. Pop it in coconut oil like the old time movie theaters. Add lots of butter and salt, too. Just be careful about eating in front of TV or movies – because you are not mindfully eating – you may overeat without being aware of it.

Remember – you want to eat a low carb, high fat diet. But only natural fats. Fat is important because it increases satiety.

A good rule is to never eat anything outside of the kitchen/ dining area. This is how we did it in the 50’s – 70’s. Mom would scream at us if we ate outside the kitchen. Now it is acceptable to eat anywhere, anytime. No – we need to go back to the 50’s. No eating outside of mealtimes (3x/day) no snacks. No eating outside the kitchen.

People were eating white bread and sugar in the 50’s too. But they controlled the number of meals (3 meals/day) not eat whenever you feel like it.

Dr. Jason Fung

thanks again dr fung!!!!!!!! WOW WOW WOW

NEVER EXPECTED THAT ANSWER YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what i emailed him

oops 4got 2 ask what about air popcorn?

Popcorn: The Snack With Even Higher Antioxidants Levels Than Fruits & Vegetable

It’s the only snack that is 100 percent unprocessed whole grain. All other grains are processed and diluted with other ingredients, and although cereals are called β€œwhole grain,” this simply means that over 51 percent of the weight of the product is whole grain. One serving of popcorn will provide more than 70 percent of the daily intake of whole grain. The average person only gets about half a serving of whole grains a day, and popcorn could fill that gap in a very pleasant way”
    The new study found that the amount of polyphenols found in popcorn was up to 300 mg a serving compared to 114 mg for a serving of sweet corn and 160 mg for all fruits per serving.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120325173008.htm

thanks

usa

Hi USA (twin)
    So much great info from Dr. Fung! I am trying 4:3 today, I haven’t succeeded in the past, but feeling super inspired.
    I also got a very gracious reply, I haven’t e-mailed him again, worried he would be too busy, but see how generous
    with info he is.

β™₯ruthiβ™₯

congrats!!!!!!!!!!! on achieving ur goal W/ NO DIABETES!!!!!!!!!!!

r u going 2 do a 6/1 r u now part of coucous dr michael & all other

r u know part of the elite group now
    i will b joining u

clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping allot yippee!!!!!!

i start monday wrk but do have a training sunday (either a drfungnonfastday or the last hoorah nonfastday b4 i offically start who knows πŸ˜€ )

so i will fast friday 2day & saturday tomorrow & the adf during week might do a 5 day @ least once a month who knows i’m just no longer afraid 2 fast 0 cals yippie
    it really is easier @ least 4 me
    i was hungrier when i ate the 500 that was super hard
    0 cals @ least 4 me is better!!
    i was also scared of exercising while fasting. NOPE body is happily feeding i mean i do have 56 lbs of it

what a great weight of my shoulders happy-sigh

i think dr fung is right we should never b blamed
    4 our weight/diabetes/diseases because we did listen!!!!! 2 the misinformation that society gave US & it hurt us BIIIIG TIME!!!!!!

happy 6/1’s β™₯ruthiβ™₯

hi twin (mulville)

may we c his reply or is 2 personal?
    we understand if not

or

is it hard 2 copy paste 4 u
    i know u need ur daughter

but the easiest way 2 copy is
    2 press the control
    button & then the letter A still keeping the control button pressed it will copy everything

then @ the post u can

press control & the letter V again still keeping the control button pressed it will paste it all

CTRL+C: Copy
    CTRL+V: Paste

then u can back space what u do not want

u r going 2 really like using those tools & will not have depend on ur daughter yay

wish u success in the 4/3 u don’t have diab so the 4/3 should b fine 4 u is it 500 or 0 or between the 2 intermittently

r u going 2 do his list of what 2 eat on nonfastdays?

do u want me 2 copy paste the list 4 u & post it 4 u?

hope this helped u

take care twin πŸ˜€

usa

hi speedy

how r u?

Hi USA-dont mind at all sharing, but will try to “cut and Paste” later as I need to go out right now.
    I know its pretty basic computer stuff I should be able to do. 4:3 going well today (on 500 cal),
    I’m afraid I would find 0 cal too distracting, I may try it on a day where, if it gets to be too difficult I can
    partake in some nourishment.

Hi USA, I’m OK, thank you πŸ™‚
    I help with a couple of dog clubs and make hand painted diplomas for them. It’s exam time so it’s quite busy – but that’s good.
    You sound very inspired and that’s great. Good luck with your new job.

It baffles me how good advice can differ so much. I saw a dietician a few weeks ago who was still spouting the old low fat stuff. I understand they were taught that but do they not also keep up in their subjects, even if just out of interest?
    Or is it not alllowed to go against ‘official’ advice because of their insurance possibly? I suppose it just takes time to filter through.
    So Atkins got it partially right. He just didn’t take that extra step and identified insulin as the danger.

I found it interesting that Dr Fung seems relaxed about salt.

On UK tv last week there was a chap who thought Himalayan salt cured his arthritis. It was decided not to even test the theory as salt is so bad for blood pressure.

πŸ™‚ xx

replied 2

hi dr fung,

♣again interspersed with the lucky clover♣ also i’m giving u space underneath my replies 4 u 2 answer/or not/ 2 make it easier 4 u πŸ˜€

♣1st of all thanks 4 the quick response, u r helping me 2 map my future healthily
    & i’m really encouraged by u again, by taking the time & thought 2 answer these all these questions.

so may i ask, is there anything i might do 4 u?

except this

don’t u think i would b a dead usa ▄† if i did the above?
    what if i got the deadly diet ugh ?♣

1. Niacin – I do not recommend niacin. There were 2 large trials (AIMHIGH and HPS2-THRIVE) that showed no benefit and potential harm to use of niacin. I no longer prescribe this drug. Don’t waste your money.

♣thanks 4 the link i knew something was wrong W/ NIACIN! my dr will be mad since i went off statin & he doubled my niacin will go off that 2
    do i have 2 worry about my cholesterol or NOT
    if so, what should I take food wise/supplements/MEDS? or nothing♣

2. Magnesium – I think it is very important to supplement especially if you are on HCTZ

♣yes, i added that by my research 4 cholesterol did not know it would b good 4 hctz
    (isn’t the internet great especially the google sholar alerts?)
    however, am i taking enough? w/ fasting & all those meds or just stay where i’m @♣

♣Is ok 2 sprinkle a little & not plenty my taste buds do not like allot of salt πŸ™‚

yes knew about salt but again was told NO we even had a scientist on our site that found an error in an article
    & they changed i’m sure ur coming/new forum is going 2 b cool 2 πŸ˜€
    no benefit in reducing salt / low sodium intake can be harmful.
    http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/no-benefit-in-reducing-salt-low-sodium-intake-can-be-harmful/
    ♣

4. Re: fish and cheese – while they may increase insulin, they are high quality sources of protein and fats and I would not restrict in any way.

♣yay!!!!!!! so shell fish is cool & CHEEEESE yay 2♣

5. Diabetes – best drug is metformin if you don’t have kidney disease. DPP4 also reasonable second choice. Very worst agent is insulin, second worst is sulphonyureas

♣i’l stay on metformin also i don’t drink @ all.
    which brings me 2 another question everyone is touting red wine even the author of grain brain, mediterranean/diet, what is ur opinion on that?♣

6. all supplements you take are OK – would advise to try to get from natural foods instead – eg adding garlic, cinnamon to foods. increase oily fish intake rather than omega 3 etc.
    ♣now that i will be increasing the cals on nonfastdays i think i will be getting the benefits from the natural foods & sprinkling even more cinnamon & garlic @ the time i was a 1300 -1410 nonfastday in the last wk 2300
    the site that i use & belong 2 his newsletter because i always wanted the most nutrient dense food & he has great recipes but i hardly used them because they were so high in cals now i will look for his recipes w/in ur guidelines
    (ur patients might like it 2)
    4 example on apples

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=15
    ♣

6. I do not recommend any artificial sweeteners of any kind. While they do not contain calories or increase insulin, they may increase cravings for foods that are sweet. The bottom line is that replacing sugar with sweeteners does NOT result in weight loss. This study from NEJM proves it. We can debate the mechanism but the bottom line result is that sweeteners are just as bad as sugar.

♣no problem will do. great site will share w/ site on the forum well actually ur whole letter πŸ˜€
    NONE/UNDERSTOOD on artificial sweeteners
    but i guess u r also saying even the natural herb plant stevia & monk fruit NOPE 2
    because they r also 2 addictive
    even on my 1 feast day like xmas or thanksgiving no stevia or monk fruit (i’m really pushing rn’t i πŸ˜‰ ?♣

7. If you are not hungry – there is no reason to eat. That is your body telling you that you have sufficient nutrients. So, yes, if you want to fast for 2 days or 5 days or 7 days or 30 days – sure – go ahead. For longer that 1 week, I usually monitor people weekly in the clinic. that being said, there are many people who fast 7-30 days without any supervision.

♣this is the biggest relief!! of all because, now i know it is healthy & i will let my body dictate a 2 day a wk an adf i can’t c myself now on a 30 day but we never know do we r body is strong?

8. any international foods are OK. Generally all natural foods are OK – fruits, vegetables, fish, meat. The toxicity lies in the PROCESSING, not the food. there are peoples who ate coconut and fish for 95% of their diet and were healthy. Our bodies are adapted to eating all foods in their natural form. Wheat is not natural – it is highly processed. Vegetable oils are not natural – highly processed.

♣still confused on how 2 know high insulin level of nonprocessed foods? ur guide on what 2 eat on ur site was super helpfull. do i look up the glycemic loads & what is the max 4 that 4 the food
    & what is the max netcarb 4 the food 2? what would ur guide b?
    which is my biggest question what is lowcarb 2 u if we eat unlimited veggies & fruit on the list
    we can not be 20g netcarb like atkins, do u believe in my lowcarb med carb ciclyng?
    so based on ur list by lowcarbs what do u mean? 20/40/60/80/or more net carbs what is ur max?
    so lemon water on fastdays is ok & nonfastdays Popcorn, lowcarb amount of air-popped/or nonvegoilpopped, salted buttered IS OK
    YIPPEEE!!!YAY!!! 1 cup net carbs = 6g i have recipes on the forum where i use popcorn 4 croutons pizza crust pancakes♣

9. I usually warn people to expect be on ADF for 1 year. It is not reasonable to try to reverse 10 years of diabetes in 2 months. For more intensive fasting it may be shorter.

♣ i was diagnosed in 2007 4 high blood pressure in a hospital do 2 continuously vomiting never knew that was symptom 4 h/bl/pr
    & also had high cholesterol
    when my mom died i had a fastilistic aproach 2 life by starting 2 smoke in my 40’s
    i quit smoking that day because the hospital dr said1 little sentence “ur blood carries all this nutritional oxygen inside 2 ur body
    & especially the brain & when u smoke it is not getting any oxygen so ur body is slowly dying & brain is slowly dying
    2010 it is when i was diagnosed w/ type2 so that is less than 3yrs
    it is chocolate that i did not have in 10 years πŸ˜€ until lately
    based on the info i gave is it still 1 yr? what about when i achieve my weight of 135 which i will, i’m used 2 fasting & w/ it being 0 cal /5 days /2 days it should b good
    wont i lose 2 much weight if i get 2 135 & continue on an adf schedule confused???♣

10. Dates and figs tend to be high in sugars. They are acceptable in small amounts. while you are trying to lose weight and reverse diabetes, it may be wise to limit intake.

♣what is the limited intake once a month/week/day 1 feastday & how many?♣

♣thanks 4 letting me ask again

enjoy ur weekend w/ ur family
    take care
    usa♣

ps there r allot of articles
    click on peoples names then topics u will c many
    my topics

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/users/wiltldnrusa/topics/

speedy

glad ur fine
    oooh those diplomas must look good do u have a site that shows tthem?

yes it is a pain trudging/practising through/during this/the misinformation
    ugh! but i think now i’m @ peace what good timing on dr fung’s stuff & dr mosley’s yay

if u go 2 my topics u will c an article i posted
    on salt where my own guv said oops we were wrong in very small print ugh

have not watched his salt video yet

u r the last post i will be posting i will b posting very infrequently will post the dr stuff when i can

i also have a part time job ontop of the other job

wish u all allot of luv/happiness/health/weight loss/or not/laughter/profitability/ & no hassles

happy happy happy nonfastdays & fastdays & 5/2 & 4/3 & 6/1 & adf or 4/2/1 or 3/3/1 or 5/1/1 or adf w/1 & the fdl (fastday lifestyle) πŸ˜€

CHAAAARGE!!! πŸ˜€

& take care & success 2 all

Don’t knock the professionals! They are doing their (admittedly poor) best. There was a time when everyone believed, and thought they had scientific proof, that the sun went around the earth. Then the doubters started to say ‘but the evidence actually says….’ and the doubters were called heretics. Dr Fung may have convinced US, but he is still a heretic in the scheme of things, and it will take a lot of curious doctors to look at the evidence his way, and then have the courage to say ‘actually….’.

There is no such thing as truth in science, only the best guess on the current level of knowledge.

I have believed for a long time that we should be eating like our ancestors did – but it was just belief, I had no evidence. But if I mentioned it professional said things like ‘But our brains need carbohydrates to function’, and ‘but the studies say’

As the good Doctor says, there are lots of really badly designed studies out there!

I do agree with that Ruthi, sorry if it came over otherwise.
    What I meant to convey really was that the advice we often get is given with such conviction and that is misleading. As if it was certainly the whole and final true whereas, as you say, it’s the best someone thinks based on what we know now. In my own experience if you voice any dissent – rather than listening with an open but sceptial ear, you just get told it’s just wrong.
    I just feel especially in the field of nutrition, we are often still in the dark ages. You can see that by how often advice is often reversed!
    I like to think that if I was a dietician, I’d be aware of differing advice and put that together with the ever raising obesity around us all and may be at least a little bit open minded.

I have a friend who is a 50+ type 1 diabetic who was getting worse. He happened to be seen by a new to him dietician who said try low carb. 6 months later he had lost weight and was able to lower his meds for the first time.

Though I suspect Dr Google (!) is making all doctors jobs harder; it’s certainly taken away the almost total authority they had before the www opened up. I really have much respect for the medical profession. We look to them in times of huge crisis. I do though feel that the satellite areas such as dieticians, physio’s etc often feel that one size fits all when it patently doesn’t.

I admit though as patients people (and I!) want both certainty and open mindedness and that is probably not a realistic combination.

Its true, Speedy! But I think to some extent we have got the doctors we collectively deserve. We want them to give us absolute certainty in our times of fear, and we pretty well push them into making these sweeping pronounciations. Then a few years down the line we blame those same individuals for having become peddlers of the received wisdom rather than thinking critically in each and every case.

I do think that its no accident that Dr Fung is quite young!

Google gives us the information, but also the responsibility to think and choose for ourselves. I trained as a homoeopath many years ago, although I don’t work as one. But my doctors (and vets) have got used to me saying to them a) I want a diagnosis and b)I want to know the options, and the up and down sides of each of them in your view. I am not expecting you to be godly in your omnipotence, and I will not hold you responsible for what is ultimately my decision. But you are an intelligent person much more familiar than I in with the issues in these matters. Fortunately they are being taught these approaches nowadays, and so I have less problem dealing with them than I did 20 years ago – in general. So they aren’t phased by me turning up with a sheaf of printouts (it used to be books!). And my GP, knowing me, sends me to the more open minded specialists.

But we cannot expect them to be statisticians, or understand how studies should be designed, so they still end up being confused, or even bamboozled by the researchers.

And that is before we start on them being human and having prejudices and faulty beliefs of their own!

What I find so frustrating sometimes is people who are SO unquestioning when given the standard treatment. So almost everyone of my acquaintance over a certain age seems to be on statins. One friend quite gaily says that his doctor has said he can either go on statins and continue to lead a horribly unhealthy lifestyle, or he could do something about his habits! Its as if drugs were completely free of downsides. And a number of friends are T2 diabetic, and itching to be ALLOWED to go on insulin ‘because life will be so much easier then’!!!! Who in their right mind would go in for such self-abuse voluntarily? Well most people it seems. They want effort free relief from their symptoms, and somehow equate that with lower mortality.

Rant over!!!

But have those of you who are tending more to low carb, higher fat diets finding it as difficult as I to get out of the habit of thinking low fat? I catch myself at it all the time!

@ruthi
    ” Who in their right mind would go in for such self-abuse voluntarily? Well most people it seems. They want effort free relief from their symptoms, and somehow equate that with lower mortality.”

It occurs to me that we all prefer to do the easier, painless way.

Logically, it makes sense to make the short term sacrifice of fasting & exercise to eliminate the harder pain of unhealthiness in the future.

Logic seldom wins out.

➰

Rocky, if it were painless I would be first in the queue for easier!

I don’t struggle with low fat Ruthi, lol – bring on the cheese!
    But even though I know about carbs, sugar in particular in chocolate, I still give in to my irrational side and have it more often than I should.
    (But, happily, that is far, far less often then before)

In our therapeutic rant above πŸ™‚ we didn’t get on to the effects of drug company’s persuasive marketing departments. But we should probably save that for another day eh? πŸ™‚
    Eat well – or not – today. πŸ™‚

No, don’t get me started on the drug companies! My study floor is not yet finished!

But I do find it difficult to maintain my belief in the inherent goodness of people when I think about Big Pharma!!!

When I was leaving Uni (called University in those days) I had job offers from both tobacco companies, and drug companies. I wasn’t as clear then as I am now about whey they were wrong for me, but I am so glad I listened to my instincts and turned down their quite lucrative offers!

hi everyone

might know why walking after dinner helps–I have read that we have receptors in our muscles that open to suck in energy and restock. So it’s a mini version of HIIT. Supposedly, an hour to 90 mins. after eating is best, and any intense exercise that will ‘wake-up’ a set of muscles could work, such as push-ups, deep-knee bends,etc. And, like HIIT, only has to be done for about 90 secs.

yaaaaaaaay dr fung replied 2 my 2emails

Since we don’t have red I changed his answers 2 CAPS HE IS NOT SHOUTING!

HI USA – I HAVE PUT MY RESPONSES IN RED UNDERNEATH.

DR JASON FUNG

hi dr fung,
    ♣again interspersed with the lucky clover♣ also i’m giving u space underneath my replies 4 u 2 answer/or not/ 2 make it easier 4 u πŸ˜€
    ♣1st of all thanks 4 the quick response, u r helping me 2 map my future healthily
    & i’m really encouraged by u again, by taking the time & thought 2 answer these all these questions.

so may i ask, is there anything i might do 4 u please?

except this

don’t u think i would b a dead usa ▄† if i did the above?
    what if i got the deadly diet ugh ?♣

WHILE IT IS IMPORTANT TO DO RESEARCH, MOST RESEARCH IS NOT BENEFICIAL TO THE PARTICIPANTS. ALSO, NOT ALL RESEARCH IS USEFUL SO I WOULD BE CAREFUL ABOUT SIGNING UP TO DO A STUDY.

1. Niacin – I do not recommend niacin. There were 2 large trials (AIMHIGH and HPS2-THRIVE) that showed no benefit and potential harm to use of niacin. I no longer prescribe this drug. Don’t waste your money.

♣thanks 4 the link i knew something was wrong W/ NIACIN! my dr will be mad since i went off statin & he doubled my niacin will go off that 2
    do i have 2 worry about my cholesterol or NOT
    if so, what should I take food wise/supplements/MEDS? or nothing♣

NO – I WOULD NOT TAKE ANYTHING. WEIGHT LOSS (LOW CARB HIGH FAT) AND INTERMITTENT FASTING IS LIKELY THE MOST BENEFICIAL.

♣yes, i added that by my research 4 cholesterol did not know it would b good 4 hctz
    (isn’t the internet great especially the google sholar alerts?)
    however, am i taking enough? w/ fasting & all those meds or just stay where i’m @♣

YES I THINK IT IS ENOUGH.

♣Is ok 2 sprinkle a little & not plenty my taste buds do not like allot of salt πŸ™‚

yes knew about salt but again was told NO we even had a scientist on our site that found an error in an article
    & they changed i’m sure ur coming/new forum is going 2 b cool 2 πŸ˜€
    no benefit in reducing salt / low sodium intake can be harmful.
    http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/no-benefit-in-reducing-salt-low-sodium-intake-can-be-harmful/
    ♣

♣yay!!!!!!! so shell fish is cool & CHEEEESE yay 2♣

♣i’l stay on metformin also i don’t drink @ all.
    which brings me 2 another question everyone is touting red wine even the author of grain brain, mediterranean/diet, what is ur opinion on that?♣

I THINK RED WINE IS QUITE REASONABLE TO TAKE WITH MEALS. I WOULD NOT TAKE TO EXCESS, BUT IF YOU ENJOY IT, CERTAINLY IT IS NOT UNREASONABLE TO TAKE OCCASIONALLY.

♣now that i will be increasing the cals on nonfastdays i think i will be getting the benefits from the natural foods & sprinkling even more cinnamon & garlic @ the time i was a 1300 -1410 nonfastday in the last wk 2300
    the site that i use & belong 2 his newsletter because i always wanted the most nutrient dense food & he has great recipes but i hardly used them because they were so high in cals now i will look for his recipes w/in ur guidelines
    (ur patients might like it 2)
    4 example on apples

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=15
    ♣

6. I do not recommend any artificial sweeteners of any kind. While they do not contain calories or increase insulin, they may increase cravings for foods that are sweet. The bottom line is that replacing sugar with sweeteners does NOT result in weight loss. This study from NEJM proves it. We can debate the mechanism but the bottom line result is that sweeteners are just as bad as sugar.

♣no problem will do. great site will share w/ site on the forum well actually ur whole letter πŸ˜€
    NONE/UNDERSTOOD on artificial sweeteners
    but i guess u r also saying even the natural herb plant stevia & monk fruit NOPE 2
    because they r also 2 addictive
    even on my 1 feast day like xmas or thanksgiving no stevia or monk fruit (i’m really pushing rn’t i πŸ˜‰ ?♣

I THINK THAT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO FIT THE DIET INTO YOUR LIFESTYLE. I THINK THAT ON OCCASIONS LIKE XMAS OR THANKSGIVING, IT IS GOOD TO FORGET YOU ARE ON A DIET. MAKE UP FOR IT ON THE SUBSEQUENT DAYS. NOBODY WANTS TO BE A PARTY POOPER.

♣this is the biggest relief!! of all because, now i know it is healthy & i will let my body dictate a 2 day a wk an adf i can’t c myself now on a 30 day but we never know do we r body is strong?

♣still confused on how 2 know high insulin level of nonprocessed foods? ur guide on what 2 eat on ur site was super helpfull. do i look up the glycemic loads & what is the max 4 that 4 the food
    & what is the max netcarb 4 the food 2? what would ur guide b?
    which is my biggest question what is lowcarb 2 u if we eat unlimited veggies & fruit on the list
    we can not be 20g netcarb like atkins, do u believe in my lowcarb med carb ciclyng?
    so based on ur list by lowcarbs what do u mean? 20/40/60/80/or more net carbs what is ur max?
    so lemon water on fastdays is ok & nonfastdays Popcorn, lowcarb amount of air-popped/or nonvegoilpopped, salted buttered IS OK
    YIPPEEE!!!YAY!!! 1 cup net carbs = 6g i have recipes on the forum where i use popcorn 4 croutons pizza crust pancakes♣

LOW GLYCEMIC INDEX DIETS ARE INCONSISTENT. THAT IS BECAUSE IT IS NOT THE GLUCOSE THAT DRIVES OBESITY BUT INSULIN. THERE IS ONLY A 23% CORRELATION BETWEEN THE GLYCEMIC AND THE INSULIN INDEX. YOU CAN LOOK UP AN INSULIN INDEX OF FOODS, BUT THE RESEARCH IS MUCH MORE SPARSE IN THIS AREA.

♣ i was diagnosed in 2007 4 high blood pressure in a hospital do 2 continuously vomiting never knew that was symptom 4 h/bl/pr
    & also had high cholesterol
    when my mom died i had a fastilistic aproach 2 life by starting 2 smoke in my 40’s
    i quit smoking that day because the hospital dr said1 little sentence “ur blood carries all this nutritional oxygen inside 2 ur body
    & especially the brain & when u smoke it is not getting any oxygen so ur body is slowly dying & brain is slowly dying
    2010 it is when i was diagnosed w/ type2 so that is less than 3yrs
    it is chocolate that i did not have in 10 years πŸ˜€ until lately
    based on the info i gave is it still 1 yr? what about when i achieve my weight of 135 which i will, i’m used 2 fasting & w/ it being 0 cal /5 days /2 days it should b good
    wont i lose 2 much weight if i get 2 135 & continue on an adf schedule confused???♣

I WOULD EXPECT BETWEEN 9 MONTHS TO 1 YEAR. IF YOU GET TO YOUR WEIGHT PRIOR TO THAT, THAT YOU MAY REDUCE THE FASTING TO 2X PER WEEK. I RARELY WORRY ABOUT PEOPLE LOSING TOO MUCH WEIGHT.

♣what is the limited intake once a month/week/day 1 feastday & how many?♣

ONCE TO TWICE PER MONTH SEEMS OK.

♣thanks 4 letting me ask again

enjoy ur weekend w/ ur family
    take care
    usa♣
    ps there r allot of articles
    click on peoples names then topics u will c many
    my topics
    http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/users/wiltldnrusa/topics/

concerning the nausea based on my more info in my just sent email

what should I do? it is not the fasting I had that b4 I started mosley’s

dr said nothing my blood pressure was good

again thanks

enjoy wknd

THERE ARE MANY POSSIBLE REASONS FOR NAUSEA. IT MAY BE RELATED TO THE MEDICATIONS. ALTERNATIVELY, IT MAY BE RELATED TO DIABETES – THERE IS SOMETHING CALLED GASTROPARESIS THAT DEVELOPS IN SOME DIABETICS. IF THAT IS THE CASE, THERE MAY BE NOTHING THAT MAY HELP IT.

DR JASON FUNG

what a nice person!

USA you HAVE to watch this one! And anyone else who is either a science junkie, or having difficulty saying no to sweet stuff or alcohol.

Make sure you have everything handy, once it starts you won’t want to stop watching (and it requires concentration just like Dr Fung’s videos)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Oh, and how is the job going?

2 all hi! Hope everyone is doing great

it’s lunchtime @ work doing a lot of training classes
    thought i would quickly copy paste dr fung’s reply

dr fung replied yesterday in one day yay

i think he likes me giving him space 2 write his answers in color. it’s faster 4 him πŸ˜€

the sleeping answer I’m going 2 try 2 get more feedback because I disagree
    dr mosley talked about a diabetic state concerning sleep

his replies will b in CAPS

HI USA – I PUT RESPONSE IN BELOW

DR. JASON FUNG

hi dr fung

thanks 4 ur replies. again giving u space underneath my replies 4 u 2 answer/or not/ 2 make it easier 4 u πŸ˜€

another big question is since our adrenaline goes super high as u said in ur lecture when we fast. there is kind of a catch 22 that it causes us 2 do sometimes do all-nighters halfnighters basically not sleeping is one of the biggest side effects of fasting
    which is my big concern since we know that 8hrs of sleeping is the best thing 4 our body
    would not sleeping not destroy all that work of by fasting if we don’t sleep
    so that our bodies can charge up W/our immune system??
    what has been ur solution? should we based on my research start taking valerian or melatonin?

NO – IF YOU ARE FEELING WELL, THERE IS NO REASON TO FORCE YOURSELF TO SLEEP 8 HOURS. EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT. I FEEL GROGGY WHEN I SLEEP FOR 8 HOURS. 6 IS ENOUGH FOR ME. YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO YOUR OWN BODY. LET IT TELL YOU HOW MUCH YOU NEED TO SLEEP. 8 HOURS IS ONLY AN AVERAGE

FOR INSTANCE, IF THE AVERAGE HEIGHT IS 5 FT 9 IN FOR A MAN. DO YOU WORRY IF YOUR SON IS 6 FT? OR IF HE IS 5 FT 7IN? NO – EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT.

have u also noticed that the mental acuity goes higher? i guess do 2 our brain synapsises r reignited 2?

YES – THAT IS ACTUALLY THE PRECISE REASON THAT THE ANCIENT GREEKS FASTED – TO IMPROVE THE CLARITY OF THEIR THOUGHTS. YOU FEEL ‘SHARPER’ ON FASTING DAYS.

i just read more closely on ur pdf 4 what 2 eat . is that the Rules from The Blood Sugar Solution? reverse your diabesity.Dr. Mark Hyman just put it on hold 4 the ebook @ my library also found a pdf w/ more details on what 2 eat may I eat from that list 2?

YES – DR. MARK HYMAN’S BOOK THE BLOOD SUGAR SOLUTION IS AN EXCELLENT BOOK. HE DOES NOT GO INTO AS MUCH DETAIL IN TERMS OF PHYSIOLOGY BUT HE BASICALLY ADVISES TO EAT ONLY NATURAL FOODS – WHICH IS EXCELLENT ADVICE.

http://drhyman.com/downloads/eatyourmedicine.pdf

however u said no snacks he said differently

u must have a very good reason on why no snacks & the 3 meal a day only

may i ask why?

THE REASON HAS TO DO WITH INSULIN RESISTANCE. SEE LECTURE #2 OF THE AETIOLOGY OF OBESITY FOR A THOROUGH DISCUSSION. HIGH PERSISTENT LEVELS OF INSULIN CAUSE INSULIN RESISTANCE. HIGH INSULIN RESISTANCE CAUSES HIGH LEVELS OF INSULIN (VICIOUS CIRCLE). SNACKING ALL THE TIME MEANS THAT YOU ARE CONSTANTLY STIMULATING INSULIN RELEASE WHICH LEADS TO MORE INSULIN RESISTANCE

IN THE 1950’S, PEOPLE WERE EATING WHITE BREAD AND WHITE SUGAR JUST FINE. BUT THEY WERE ONLY EATING 3 MEALS/DAY WITH NO SNACKS. WE’VE NOW MOVED TO EATING 6 TIMES/DAY. THE REASON WE EAT ALL THE TIME WAS ADDRESSED BY THE BBC DOCUMENTARY THE MEN WHO MADE US FAT (CHECK VIMEO OR YOUTUBE). BASICALLY THE FOOD COMPANIES WANTED TO SELL US MORE FOOD SO CONVINCED US THAT WE SHOULD EAT SNACKS. PRIOR TO THAT YOUR MOTHER WOULD HAVE GOTTEN MAD AT YOU FOR EATING BEFORE DINNER.

the author of grain brain dr perlmutter the neurologist has determined that lchf is great 4 the brain
    is that someone also who u have studied ? http://www.drperlmutter.com/blog/

I HAVE NOT READ DR PERLMUTTER’S BOOK, BUT FROM WHAT I GATHER, MUCH OF THE SAME PROCESS THAT HAPPENS IN THE BODY HAPPENS IN THE BRAIN AS WELL.

i don’t know if they both believe in fasting but u do & dr mosley & i will always believe in it we need our bodies 2 rest so that they can fix it. what r ur learned thoughts/research/conclusions on these drs/authors?

I BELIEVE WE ARE ALL TALKING ABOUT THE SAME THING. THAT IS, THE UNDERLYING CAUSE OF ALL THESE PROBLEMS IS HIGH INSULIN LEVELS. RESTRICTING GRAINS, RESTRICTING TO NATURAL FOODS, FASTING – THEY ARE ALL MEANS OF REDUCING INSULIN AND INSULIN RESISTANCE (REMEMBER – INSULIN CAUSES INSULIN RESISTANCE)

u never answered what is ur max as a lowcarb in g or net carb g
    or is more complicated than that & just follow the blood sugar solution except snacks?

AGAIN – YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. SOME PEOPLE WITH LOW INSULIN RESISTANCE CAN EAT 200 GM/DAY AND NOT HAVE A PROBLEM. OTHERS CAN ONLY TAKE 30G/DAY. THEY SAY THAT EVEN LOOKING AT A BAGEL MAKES THEM GAIN 2 POUNDS.

Did u c that dr oz that promoted low fat is now apologizing that HE was wrong! He as a cardiologist has realized he was taught the wrong way. He had the grain brain author
    Have his own video
    Expert Extra: Dr. David Perlmutter
    Neurologist Dr. David Perlmutter explains how what you eat can impact your brain health.

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/do-carbs-cause-alzheimers?video_id=2753372348001

& brought him on the show

Do Carbs Cause Alzehimer’s? Pt 1
    Do you have the power to prevent Alzheimer’s disease? Meet Dr. David Perlmutter, the controversial doctor who says you can control your genes by changing the way you eat. His message is simple: Cut carbs and load up on healthy fats!

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/do-carbs-cause-alzheimers?video_id=2753218220001

Do Carbs Cause Alzehimer’s? Pt 2
    Do you have the power to prevent Alzheimer’s disease? Meet Dr. David Perlmutter, the controversial doctor who says you can control your genes by changing the way you eat. His message is simple: Cut carbs and load up on healthy fats!

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/do-carbs-cause-alzheimers?video_id=2753218208001

neurologic article

Higher glucose levels associated with lower memory and reduced hippocampal microstructure

http://www.neurology.org/content/early/2013/10/23/01.wnl.0000435561.00234.ee

& someone who has achieved their goal

My Toughest Goal To Date

http://robinnixon.com/thejourney/finally-achieving-my-greatest-unattained-goal

u have been so helpful & nice. which is very appreciated.
    hopefully my questions will start to die down & u will b getting my results every 3 months weight wise
    i don’t c my doctor until 8 months from now but ur answers r really guiding me towards success
    i hope dr mosley who visits his forum & answers questions will c our post & videos/lectures on u. it will be nice 2 c what he says
    i will email u if he says anything or more great praise from 1 of our members

take care

usa

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 861 total)

You must be logged in to reply.