reversing type 2 diabetes & the fastday lifestyle

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
reversing type 2 diabetes & the fastday lifestyle

This topic contains 854 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  PeonyLover 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 861 total)

• Usa! THat’s fab fab fab πŸ™‚ xx well done. So pleased for you. xx

I’m having a bad week. Sudden abdominal pain last week – I have a stuck kidney stone. πŸ™ It’s driven all diet thought thoughts away – just for a while. Feel nauseous and eating helps it.
    But it will pass! Literally I hope and very soon πŸ˜‰

Oh heavens Speedy – you have my sincere sympathy. A kidney stone is absolute agony. I hope it passes soon.

xx

Thanks Sylvestra, it was but happily I have some good painkillers. Feel a bit yuk generally though. I know my exercise group will blame my ‘fad crash diet’ !
    To an extent they might be slightly right but only in that I often forget to drink at all especially on fast days so often don’t have a drink till 5pm I think that is possibly the cause – you can never be sure though – could be many things.
    xx

speedy

AAAWWWWWW BIG HUGS

so do i used 2 forget 2 drink when fasting

now i’m surrounded by lemon water ginger water lemon/herb/tea everywhere

bought these 8 glass a day containers 1 is in the fridge 1 is on the counter in the kitchen while cooking & 1 in bedroom & 1 in car & 1 @ wrk

so no excuse 2 drink now they stare @ me ● / ●

never thought about u could get kidney stones by not drinking they sound so paaaaaaaaaaaaaaainful

ugh ugh ugh

wish u a speedy health infusion & ( πŸ˜€ ) ( πŸ˜€ ) ( πŸ˜€ ) oh just realised i wrote ur name ha ha

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    usa

πŸ™‚ Keep up the drinking USA, I can’t be 100& sure it was that but I think it was – wish I forgot to eat sometimes lol!
    And not drinking enough is the biggest cause by far of the things. πŸ™‚ xx

speedy & 2all

i want this as a gift 4 fastdays!!!!! no calories

“Take a deep, flavorful breath
    The Week Staff | September 21, 2012
    A “wonderfully pointless” new device from France is starting to show up in North American restaurants. Le Whaf ($166), a gadget that transforms food flavors into inhalable vapors, is already “incredibly popular in Europe, where dieters have doubtless discovered they can drink in the flavors of, say, chocolate, with hardly any of the calories.” The brainchild of a Harvard aerosol scientist, it so far works only with liquids, and has thus been regularly used to turn craft cocktails into tasty little clouds that are very low in alcohol content. Pour one into a glass and suck it in with a special straw. “It touches all the senses.” Source: The Ottawa Citizen”

http://labstoreparis.com/#&p=products&products=le-whaf

2 c other gifts

For those who have everything

http://theweek.com/article/flipbook/256462

must admit the fasting get’s that belly fat but i want moooooooooooooooooore off!

Low-carb Paleo boosts weight loss, burns belly fat, controls diabetes in studies

“Swedish researchers assigned groups of overweight, post-menopausal women to follow either a low-fat, high fiber diet or a Paleo weight loss plan. When they compared the results of the women, they found:

the Paleo group lost significantly more weight (an average of 6.5 kg after six months, and 4.6 kg after two years)
    the Paelo dieters burned more belly fat around their stomachs, losing 11.1 cm at six months and 3.7 cm at two years”

2 c full article

http://www.topix.net/health/diabetes/2014/02/low-carb-paleo-boosts-weight-loss-burns-belly-fat-controls-diabetes-in-studies

Experts explain how and why low carb Paleo diet works for weight loss and health

Both diets reflect the increasing evidence showing that by eliminating foods that contain gluten and sugar, you can boost your weight loss while enhancing your overall health. A recent study, in fact, revealed that it is sugar, not fat, that results in weight gain and accompanying concerns such as metabolic syndrome learn more by clicking here.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/sugar-not-fat-causes-food-cravings-and-weight-gain-reveals-new-study

And in addition to weight loss, Chris says that the specific health benefits are impressive.

“As a clinician I’ve seen Paleo reverse autoimmune disease, diabetes, lipid abnormalities, obesity, depression, IBS and more,” he commented.

2 c full article

http://www.examiner.com/article/experts-explain-how-and-why-low-carb-paleo-diet-works-for-weight-loss-and-health

happy nonfastdays & fastdays or 5/2 & 4/3 & 6/1 & adf (alternative day fasting ) or 4/2/1 or 3/3/1 or 5/1/1 (the 1 is the day where you can eat anything u want day no counting cals or following any type of food) those r nice πŸ˜€ or adf w/1 & or eodd (every otherday diet by krista varady) or add (alternative day diet krista varady) or lchf (low carb high fat) or cc (carb cycling) or lchfmed (low carb high fat mediterranean) or the new atkins or the flexitarian or the vegetarian all kinds & as long as u integrate all of ur food w the fdl (fastday lifestyle) πŸ˜€ & now paleo fasting

we have so many ways whew πŸ˜€

2 all

all my life i’ve been paid mostly on commission always felt u were going 2 give urself a raise & more$ than anybody else

however when u get sick there is no $

so will be starting a new job w/ benefits pay & commissions all the things a gigantic corporation gives

after multiple interviews of top corporate executives
    i’m actually honored they want me

will be away on an 16 week intensive training

since i feel better will start the adf w/ low carb med dr fung way

2 reverse it

bye 4 now

it was so great 2 read/post on this forum this wk/all those x’s
    so bye 4 now. sun want 2 get ready still i have sat πŸ˜€

β™₯β™₯β™₯ruthi where r u???β™₯β™₯β™₯

take care all

wish u continued success

&

β™₯ღ♫.β€’*´¨β™₯*β€’β€’β™«.β€’*´ღ¨ღ*β€’β€’β™«.β€’*Β΄happy reversal of type2 &happy nonfastdays & fastdays & β˜…β˜… happy plateau breaking β˜…β˜… or 5/2 & 4/3 & 6/1 & adf (alternative day fasting ) or 4/2/1 or 3/3/1 or 5/1/1 (the 1 is the day where you can eat anything u want day no counting cals or following any type of food) those r nice πŸ˜€ or adf w/1 & or eodd (every otherday diet by krista varady) or add (alternative day diet krista varady) or lchf (low carb high fat) or cc (carb cycling) or lchfmed (low carb high fat mediterranean) or the new atkins or the flexitarian or the vegetarian all kinds & as long as u integrate all of ur food w the fdl (fastday lifestyle) πŸ˜€ β™₯ღ♫.β€’*´¨β™₯*β€’β€’β™«.β€’*´ღ¨ღ*β€’β€’β™«.β€’*Β΄

Hey Fantastic news USA, very best of luck and good wishes. xx
    I hope you come back after the 16 weeks and tell us how you are getting on. I’ve learned so much from your posts. (And keep drinking enough water ok!!!)
    Hugs, xx

speedy

u 2

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

Speedy- how are you doing? I don’t want to lose sight of you! I hope you are drinking more water. Please respond.

Hi Piper, Thank you for your nice message. πŸ™‚
    I’m OK. Kidney stone wise, not much has changed. I passed a tiny tiny fragment but had an echo and there is a stuck 8mm stone between my kidney and urethra. Taking lots of pain killers so no pain from it but just nausea.

Though I’ve been amazed and thankful at how good the health service is here. Yesterday my GP called me back with the echo results and took advice from a urologist. She prescribed a pill that relaxes your urethra to thr to get the stone to pass but the urologist wanted to see me – and I could go the same day!
    Had been planning a quite day at home but went of course and he was great. Had a good chat in perfect English (I’m in Holland). I have to have a CT scan to see if there are anymore stones lurking πŸ™ Had blood tests too.
    As the ultrasound also showed up gallstones πŸ™ he also mentioned them and I told him about this diet – half expecting him to poo poo it. But he didn’t and said the gallstones were almost certainly caused by my weightloss (17 kilos at best now probably less as I’ve lost the 5:2 lot a bit with all this and the nausea stones create.)
    Next time I see him I’m going to ask about a pill that I have read protects you from formimg gallstones when losing weight.
    I sound like a real pill-popper! I’m absolutely not and want to stop asap but recognise I do have to take the painkillers and relaxers.

I had read on Google about Jump and Bump! It is what it says and is an old way to try to dislodge stones by jumping up and down and sitting down hard on the loo seat. I asked the urologist about it and he said yes, it’s old fashioned but can help! So I am taking pills, peeing through a sieve and jumping and bumping!

I admitted to him that I hadn’t drunk much (at all!) especially when fasting and we though that was the probable cause of the stone. (Hopefully not stones!) I now constantly have water with me and drink at least 1.5 litres a day. Is that 3 pints posibly?

To be honest I’m rather frightened of having any procedures and the CT scan but I know I might have to. But having met the urologist I do feel a bit better about it. Putting a face to it etc.
    I was getting into a spiral of feeling very nervous about the whole thing but have made a ‘mindful’ decision to enjoy it as much as possible! Probably enjoy is the wrong word but at least try not to get into a fearful spiral. And it helped yesterday! THe lady who registed me in the hospital said I had a nice twinkle in my eye in my ID photo she took! And then a nice reassuring chat with the urologist about diets and dogs and rugby!

Piper, didn’t I read that you were getting a new job? Sorry if I have it wrong but do let us know. And thank you again for your post. You can see by the length of my reply that it feels good to talk!
    πŸ™‚

Hey Speedy!

I hope you feel better soon. Kidney stones are not much fun. I’m glad you have such good care and are drinking more! What were you thinking?! but, really, I’m not one to talk..it’s way too much coffee all day! So, we both should up the water intake. I think 1.5 litres is about 3 pints. People walk around with water bottles all day or massive cups/jugs. Maybe they had the right idea, after all.

Bump and jump sounds like a good plan. At the very least, it’s taking some action, and it could very well work! Anyway, I hope the stone passes soon and without too much discomfort.

I don’t know a lot about gallstones, but remember your theory about cholesterol in the blood stream coming from losing weight? I’ve seen a couple references to that recently. It’s supposed to go up , until cleared through the gallbladder. I wouldn’t worry about losing any more weight until this is sorted out.

I understand about being worried about medical procedures, but it sounds like you have really good people looking after you. You have a great attitude! relax, and don’t let yourself get down. Did the doctors say what kind of procedure, or is there a way to clear the gallstones out of your system without surgery? And, heck, if I thought I was getting gallstones, or kidney stones for that matter, I’d be popping pills like crazy, if I thought they would help!

I did start a new position, been in training for the last two days, and feel bug eyed. It is also off my normal schedule, so I haven’t had good sleep the last two nights. I hope I like it, but it’s too soon to tell.

Speedy- keep posting. I never check my e-mail, but I’ll keep an eye out for you.

xxP

Hi Speedy, I hope all the bump and jump is working? Hope you feel better. xxP

Hi Piper! No, jumping and bumping has not delivered any results yet. πŸ™
    Feeling a bit grot – but also could be much, much worse. Not fasting though. I really miss it!

Hope you are OK πŸ™‚

Hey, Speedy

Hope you are finally starting to feel better. I’ve been in a slump..or maybe just too tired to reach out to anyone. New job has lots of training, which is simultaneously stressful, boring, and draining. I can understand why USA needed a break. But, good news is today I feel like I’ve rejoined the living.

So, what’s happening in your part of the world?

Although, we still have grey skies, I can feel Spring coming in my bones!

Hello Piper πŸ™‚
    I’ve replied to you on the Ladies of a Certain Age thread – it seems a more appropriate place – is that OK?
    Hugs.

Hi Speedy,

It’s perfect! There are many terrific people there, with many experiences to share. I like that I’m hearing more from you! πŸ™‚

and don’t forget to stand up like Superman 2 minutes a day…and drink more water! hehe!

πŸ™‚

Wiltdlnr thnx for your post

best of luck speedy & piper ur speech are really good

Hi all. It has been a long time since anyone has posted. Cannot help but think that one cannot reverse diabetes once it has got hold. Can anyone tell me the were successful.
    There are a number of pundents recently who have said” follow me and you will reverse your diabetes”
    I have tried a few – did NOT work.

PJBR don’t lose heart! This thread has died because USA isn’t around any more, not because anyone has failed. I often think of her and wonder how she is doing in her new life.

I am not diabetic myself but I have a couple of friends who have successfully reversed their T2D – ie reduced their Hba1c numbers significantly. Both were relatively recently diagnosed, though, and I imagine that if you have been diabetic for some time it will take more time and patience. I also had an elderly aunt who became diabetic in the 60s, before metformin was around. So she had no choice but to control her diabetes with diet. My stepmum tutted away because Aunt Rose lost such a lot of weight on her new diet (which was basically paleo without the name) but Rose became fit and spritely and was pronounced no longer diabetic about two years later. The only definition in those days was by her fasting glucose levels, but she was able to eat the odd gateau without her blood sugar going sky high!

Low carb (ie carbs only from leafy veg and very occasional root veg), medium protein and high fat should do the trick. If nothing else it will reduce the blood glucose load and prevent you becoming even more insulin resistant. And as long as you still have a functioning pancreas there is no logical reason why you should not be able to get the insulin resistance under control. Remember that other forms of resistance (to alcohol or heroin, for example) are reversible if the cause is removed, and the mechanism (called downregulation) is fundamentally the same.

Have you watched Dr Fung’s videos? He has more cases now on Youtube, and in his blog. What he is doing is quite drastic, with some serious fasting going on too. Not the sort of thing you would want to do without careful monitoring. But he HAS got success stories.

The problem here in the UK is that diabetics are advised to keep eating starchy snacks – and if they keep putting carbs into the system they will maintain their insulin resistance.

Also some interesting research has come out recently suggesting that ‘time window eating’ where you have all your meals within a time window of 8 or even 12 hours, also helps increase insulin sensitivity. That might be worth researching.

Hi PJBR:

Check this thread: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/type-ii-diabetes/

There is also information in the posts on this thread: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Ruthi,
    Thank you for your post and speaking to my concerns.
    Since I posted, I stumbled upon the Dr. Fung you mention in your post. I am so glad I did. Yes, his method is much more rigorous than Dr. Mosley’s. I am joining his program with my first conference next Monday.
    If I had read your posting earlier, I would have followed your advice and looked up Dr. Fung before I stumbled onto him. It must be serendipity because it was about 2 weeks ago that I did. I have devoured his website information. I thank you, thank you, thank you.

PJBR sometimes we aren’t ready! I am so glad you have found Dr Fung now – I am sure he will be a great help.

Please keep us posted. People seem to disappear when either they give up, or they reach their goals and move one – but we don’t know which!!!

Ok guys,
    just to let you know what I am doing.
    Started fasting Jan 28, 2015.
    Eased in it slowly but caught the fever from these forums and meeting Dr. Fung and now Dr. Varaday.
    Have been doing alternate day fasting for about 1 1/2 weeks now.
    Have lost about 4 lbs.
    Taking less insulin (fast acting, on fast days) and eating fewer carbs so lower insulin.
    Blood sugars are up though. Dr. Fung says that happens.
    I appreciate your input Ruthi and Simcoeluv

PS My Bridge game is improving!!!!!!

Well done you! I guess you aren’t finding the fasting too onerous, then?

So, is it that you have more time for Bridge? Or that your head is clearer?

Ruthi,
    head especially clear on fasting days.

No not too onerous. Keep busy is the key and that my husband is doing it with me.

My daughter has started too but she does find it harder. But then she has just started.

When I was 26 my doctor put me on a diet which is basically fasting for 3 day/week – he said he did not know how it worked but that it seemed too. (that is very close to 50 years ago). That was why I was intrigued to see M Mosley’s TV program in 2013. He said it was safe to do for 3 weeks – I never got past the 3 days. I had little to lose then so was not on it long. That was to prevent diabetes but then that is another story
    Now Ruthi, I am curious about your story. You do not have DMT2 so what is your interest here?

Well, I am, or maybe should say was a sugar addict. Whenever I was under stress I would be buying cheap confectionery. I’m not a chocaholic, but I would eat anything, popcorn, marshmallows, 3 creme eggs at once(although I don’t like the reformulated ones)! Then last summer I saw a holistic doctor and mentioned this in passing and he said I probably was suffering from Adrenal Fatigue. Tests confirmed that in fact I produce too much cortisol – my poor adrenals are in overdrive as a result of a stressful life. Amazingly a lifetime of abusing sugar has not (yet) resulted in diabetes!

My lovely doctor is also a homoeopath. He gave me a remedy a couple of months ago, and since then the sugar business has been much less of an issue. It remains to be seen if this is a permanent change.

I am also hypothyroid, and poor treatment has resulted in some extra weight which brought me here via the TV programme. Because of the AF I am not fasting at the moment, but I imagine I will be back to it once that is sorted. Right now I am looking at parasite theories!

I have always been interested in diet and medicine. I am soon to sell my business and seriously considering training in integrative medicine, even though I am 64. I can’t sit around doing nothing for the next 30 years!

Ruthi,
    Hi again. As you probably know, Dr. Fung suggests that meditation be done one a regular basis to counteract the cortisol effect.
    We have seen our daughter gain weight rapidly twice now both times when she was under great stress. I believe it is the cortisol that does it.
    Have you heard of EFT (emotional freedom technique)?

I meditate – tried many times but have found reasonable success with Headspace guided meditations. The main problem is that it takes me a while to calm down enough to meditate – if I try when I’m too hyped I just can’t settle to it.

As for EFT I learned that years ago but it just drives me nuts! All that tapping is like pop music to me! It just makes me even more jittery!

The best thing for me is walking the dogs – fresh air, sun (well today anyway) and exercise PLUS the chance to just mull things over. I do that for an hour a day normally, as a minimum. Although I missed 10 days in hospital and then recovering – pneumonia! I don’t get how that one arrived, wondering about Buteyko.

I don’t normally gain weight when under great stress because I stop eating. Its those day to day horrors that get me down. The price of running one’s own business with staff, and customers!

Hi All,

I just joined and went through this forum.

Am too Type 2 and was doing some research to reverse it. I went through Dr. Fung’s all the videos from YouTube and also contacted Dr. Roy Taylor last week.

Is there any one active here who’s following either IF (suggested by Dr.Fung) or following 600 cal diet suggested by Dr.Roy?

I just started a mix of both the shots, following IF along with a bit of low cal diet (900-1000 cal/day). Its my 3rd day, and everything seems good as of now.

IF and low cal sounds like starvation to me. I would do IF and go low carb but not restrict calories on eating days. Remember its carbs that make you fat AND create T2 diabetes. I think its a lot more sustainable, and is basically what Dr Fung advocates.

Monitor your blood sugars closely until you stabilise.

Ruthi,
    Your advice is spot on!!!!!!!!!
    My daughter went to a “healer” of some sorts yesterday and (the healer) agrees with me that her weight problem is more from cortisol than insulin and has suggested an 18hr daily fast, meditating daily, and yoga for 45min. 3x/week.

Krishna,
    I do not understand what you mean by a mix of the two shots.

I follow Dr. Fungs advice myself. I have been doing so for 2 weeks.

Hi PJBR,

What i mean was that I was doing

1) Low Calories (800-900)/day – Suggested by Dr Roy Taylor in the website
    2) Do IF (8:16hrs window)
    3) Taking Venigar daily (Apply cider) – Suggested by Dr Fung

Good to see that you’re following Dr.Fung. May you please let me know, whats your daily schedule (regarding food, fasting & exercise regime)

For the last 3 weeks I have been fasting for 24 hours 3 times/week. It seems that my weight is going down at a rate of 1 lb/week. Disappointing. Like my daughter says “all that work (I think she means agony) for only 1 lb/week”. At this rate I hope to live long enough to benefit by curing the diabetes. I want it NOW!
    Some of the recommendations are a LONNNGGGG fast in order to burn the fat from the liver and pancreas which is the fat first to go if I am interpreting it right.
    Conference tomorrow.
    It seems over these 3 weeks I have been studying and tweaking my approach. For instance only yesterday joined a gym for weight lifting as I understand one can increase muscle mass when fasting.
    I also attempt walking daily but am not too successful there.
    Yesterday we, my husband and I, have decided to eat only in a window of 6 hours – 12noon to 6pm on the days we eat.
    Of course, I have been following a so-called diabetic diet or Canada’s Food Rules( which we adopted post WWII) ever since my mother got diabetes when I was 12.(obviously I have not been entirely true to that but have used it as a guideline.
    The fine tuning I have done since Christmas is to cut out bread and now potatoes (hard for me as I am Irish) but am finding I am so “sensitive” to potatoes and my BG goes sky-rocketing after a normal portion even with the added insulin for it.(carb counting)
    Also cut my fruit to 2 servings from 3 and probably will reduce that to 1. I am beginning
    to wonder what about all those vitamins and enzymes I will be missing.
    You know when I was pregnant I stuck faithfully to a 1200 calorie diet and gained over 60lbs. I believe the body takes more out of the food you eat when it needs it and maybe less when it does not.
    Well Kristna (sorry if I spelled that wrong) I hope that answers your questions.
    But as I say it will likely all change again after tomorrow’s conference.

Krishna Hi
    I did not really understand your post until I just read it again.
    How long have you been following Dr. Taylor’s advice of 600?800?900? calories?
    What has it done to your diabetic control?
    BS?
    Weight loss?

another thing
    This all does NOT seem to be accepted by the mainstream medicine.
    People attempting this are unlikely to have a doctor who will willingly guide them in reducing their insulin or insulin-producing medications.
    I was wondering if there is known to be a doctor who is accepting of this approach, could he be known?
    It seems that there are diabetics all over the world who need a doctor in their local who would be supportive.
    We need a list of such doctors.

Hi PJBR,

First of all thank you for a pretty good detailed post. Thats what I was expecting from you, to list out, the diet/exercise regime that you’ve been following.

Well, coming to myself, I try to put below in short what I’m doing now.

Food:

Am basically a vegetarian (but eat eggs). So, every day I’m trying to cover upto 800-1000 cal/day food, with majority of carbs, then protein, then fats. I can’t make it up to take more protein, you know, its so diff to get just from veg. However, I just take 1 protein shake/day. I’ve just followed eating the whole cal in just 8 hrs and then fasting the rest of 16 hrs (just taking water) and this has personally proved pretty good for me. I just started this philosophy 1.5 weeks before.

Initially (before 3 weeks) with an weight of 85kgs, today I’m 82.3 kgs. So, I believe its working good on me. I can’t do 24 hour fast, bcoz, I’m sure my blood levels will fluctuate more and my eyes will start paining. As whole day i work in front of the PC, i’ll not be able to tolerate that pain. So, I am planning to continue this schedule for few more weeks.

Exercise:

I go to gym 4-5 days/week and exercise (cardio/weight lifting) 2-3 hrs/day. Mostly I’ll do weights and 2 days i’ll do Cardio. You see, the most benefit we get, when we’re doing these things, when in the fasted state, coz, atleast after 8-10 hours of fasting, the body has, no other option, but to burn fats rather than sugar, since sugar will not be available in liver as glycogen, after that many hours of fasting. So, I try to eat from 8am till 4pm and then, next day at early morning 5.30am, I hit the gym.

Note that, I stopped taking my medicines many months before. I dont take any medicine now, and when ever I find my levels elevated, I used to do some cardio regularly to keep them moderate below control.

But now, I’m determined to completely come out of this disorder. So, i’m determined to reduce my liver fat as much as possible, so that it will be completely free.

And as you said rightly, doctors all over are not yet ready to accept this kinda diet and support the patients, especially here in India, they are quite rigid. Hence, I kept my trust in God, and started ahead. I am pretty confident that, I’ll get the success in this path. Even though, as I said above, I’m not exactly following Dr Taylor’s schedule of 800 cal from just veggies, am trying to stick to around 800-900 cal/day with a mix of proteins/fats/carbs.

So, how was your conference? Any new things you got to know now? Am eager to listen.

Few suggestions:

1) Please dont take any fruits followed with your main course of bfast/lunch/dinner. Always consume fruits as a separate course. When take with main meal, they’ll rapidly increase the sugar levels and then they inturn get stored as fat.

2) I’m also very much gravitated towards potatoes. Especially after living/working in Paris for 1 year (last year), I’ve got so much habit of them, and its not good, as they elevate the sugar levels very rapidly. So, even i’m try to avoid it as much as possible.

3) I dont take white bready much, as in India, esp where I live, we consume more white rice, which I’m trying to avoid. White bread is not at all good, and its good that you’re avoiding it.

4) Try to do more strength training (weight lifting), as this is increase the muscle mass, which in turn is very good, to burn the fat, since muscle needs more energy to sustain which it inturn gets from fat burning.

5) Cardio for sure, is the best tool to burn good amount of fat, and I suggest you to start slow, with walking for say, 30-45 mins/day, atleast 2-3 days/week. Once, you start doing this, you’ll see for yourself loosing more than, that 1lb/week. So, please incorporate.

Hi!
    Just finished with my conference.
    Am starting the IDM program at 6am Friday Feb 27.
    Starting with a 7 day continuous fast to get me off all insulin fast !!!!!!!!!! She thinks the week fast will do it.
    Would like to start now but she says no, start Friday. Friday at 6am there is another conference, 3 hrs. long, which explains everything and will answer all questions.

Krishna, do you eat pulses or dhal?

Here is my prejudice showing, but I thought that fasting in India would be fairly common among some for religious reasons and therefor be more acceptable.

I was told not to tell people what I am doing because they may discourage me or even tempt me to breaking the fast. I know that it certainly is not generally accepted here in Canada.

It seems we are approximately the same weight Krishna.

I tried to reverse diabetes by being vegan for 2 years a few years ago. It did not work!

Hi PJBR:

Do I understand your IDM program is with Dr. Fung’s office?

If you are going to start with a 7 day fast and want to know a little more about longer term fasting, you can check the link in my 29 Jan 15 post in this link: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Your comment on losing ‘just’ a pound a week reflects, perhaps, a misunderstanding on how fast you can lose weight while still eating food. If you take your TDEE, multiply by 7 and divide by 3500 you will see about how much fat weight you can lose in a week if you eat nothing at all. For a woman, it usually comes in around three to four pounds a week over time – the initial water weight loss will be more. If you are eating food, that rate of loss will slow. And if you eat a lot of carbs, you may gain back the water weight loss before your fat weight loss starts showing.

I look forward to hearing how you are doing – please keep us posted!

Good Luck!

Hi PJBR,

You’re right. Its pretty common in India for people to go on fast, for various religious & spiritual reasons. But, frankly, I wasn’t doing so before. Now, with no other option, but to completely remove diabetes, I need to do so and am ready to do.

Yes, I do eat dhal and pulses more as from veg food, those are the one’s which contain good amount of proteins other than eggs/protein shake that I take.

So, after the conference, you goanna start with the IDM program this Friday. All the very best for you.

Couple of questions regarding this IDM that you goanna start.

1)One thing which keeps on popping in my mind is, how are you goanna do a complete 7 day fast? I mean, won’t the BG levels fluctuate. What are you going to do for that? Are you going to monitor 2-3 times/day?

2)Is it a complete water fast, wherein you just take water

3)Are you suggested to do any physical activity like walking/gym in that schedule

Kindly share any other info that you think is important so that, if it seems feasible for me, I’ll also join with you along from here to give the support.

HI
    My husband reversed his Type 2 diabetes,starting with basic 5:2 nearly 2 years ago. He quickly realised he could reduce his insulin on fast days, then, as the weight dropped off, none on fast days. After a year (and 30 kg lighter) he was weighing in the healthy range and took only on Metformin. No more insulin injections. After a few more months, he dropped Metformin as well.
    He takes his bloodsugar test every morning and is guided by his results. He still fasts twice a week, and will for life, and if his bs rises on other days, he simply skips breakfast. On fast days he eats nothing until dinner time and has about 450 calories.
    During the first year we totally excluded starchy carbs, most sugar, reduced alcohol and generally cut out processed foods. Leafy and orange vegetables were massively increased. We reintroduced fats in the second year, with no effect on his results.
    It is definitely very possible to reverse and manage Type 2 diabetes with fasting and diet.
    All the best, PVE

Hi PVE,

That’s a pretty good inspiring post. Thanks for the posting. It really helps all of us to go ahead on the path, with more motivation.

krishna
    You posted today but I do not know where. You say it is your first day. What is your plan. Good luck!

simcoeluv
    Yes it is with Dr Fung.
    You sure seem to be very knowledgeable in this field. I appreciate your post and will go through them in great detail when I have time as I am sure one can learn a lot from you.
    Thank you.

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 861 total)

You must be logged in to reply.