Periods Stopped (had to stop the diet) now put on most of the weight I lost!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
Periods Stopped (had to stop the diet) now put on most of the weight I lost!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kvetina 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Hi There,

Hoping someone might have some insight into my issue – over a 10 week period of doing the 5 & 2 (I did increase the program in the final weeks and do a 3 & 4 pattern), I lost 8 kilos so was obviously very pleased with the results, however I have had to stop the fasting days since this as I have not had my period for nearly 5 months now. Since stopping the 5 & 2 I have put on nearly all of the weight again (6 of the 8 kilos). Being 28 years of age I am keen to start a family in the next few years so I am trying to eat “normally” (around 1300 cals per day) so still less than my RDI – in order to regain my monthly cycle. I really dont want to keep gaining weight though! Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

Thanks so much

brittona86, your periods stopped well before you started 5:2. It is therefore highly unlikely that IF caused this, and in fact, older studies have never shown that IF causes such changes.

If you have been eating below your BMR for a longer period of time, this can cause amenorrhea. On the other hand: if you are putting on weight you must be eating well above your body’s needs (TDEE) otherwise all energy consumed would be used up just to keep you going with non to spare for the fat stores.

I would suggest two things: keep a detailed food diary and make sure you are eating your TDEE. This should keep your weight steady. Weigh and measure everything as eyeballing portion size is notoriously inaccurate.
    Secondly, see a doctor. Amenorrhea in the absence of starvation diet needs to be investigated to find the cause and treat it appropriately.

Is it possible you are pregnant? It would explain no period for 20 weeks and the weight gain.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.