new & unsure

This topic contains 26 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  simcoeluv 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

• I started the diet 2 and a half weeks ago. Lots of enthusiasm to begin with. At 5ft 5 inch starting weight 11 stone 6lb i am hoping this is the diet for me as in finding it more difficult to lose weight on previous diets since i quit smoking over 2.5 years ago. So here goes stuck strictly to my 500 cals on 2 fast days Mon n Thursdays. Weigh in Sundays. First week lost 2lb i was delighted so now 11stone4lb. Second week weight in lost nothing!! Was gutted Been a bit harder this week, enthusiasm a bit dampered. Sort of dreading Sunday weighing myself!! Well here i am, and Thanks for having me.

Hi and welcome:

The average weight loss for women on 5:2 is a little less than one pound a week, and weight loss is not consistent (like one pound a week – it goes up, down and stays the same). So far, you are right on track.

This might help: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/really-no-weight-loss/

Good Luck!

Thank you simcoeluv for replying to me so soon. I will have a good read of the links and from what you’ve said about the weight loss being a bit up & down. Its gave me boost. Thanks again

I do the same fast days, Mon and Thurs, but I always weigh myself on Friday mornings, which is when I know I will weigh least! By Sunday I could easily have put a lb or 2 back on, so it would be a bit demoralising. I know it’s not a realistic reflection of what my average weight actually is, but if you only weigh once a week and you’re either going down or static that’s ok. You don’t necessarily lose every week. It’s very early days still, so keep going and have faith!

Hiya kaybee24 & welcome to 5:2. Please don’t get disheartened, this is a long-term lifestyle change not a ‘quick fix’ diet and it sounds like you’ve started out pretty well. If you’re worrying about the weight more than the struggles of fasting then that’s a good thing at this stage I reckon – means you must be settling into fasting easily 😉

As everyone above has already said – it’s really nothing to worry about at this stage, give it a good month of no weight loss (or inches lost – you did take measurements didn’t you?) before you start to rethink what you’re doing.

The only thing I would suggest, if you aren’t already doing this, is to make sure that you are eating a little under your TDEE on non-fastdays (the 2000 calorie average will probably not apply to you – it doesn’t to me and I’m about the same weight and an inch shorter than you).

Hi Strar, thanks for tip. From reading the forum i think i may weight myself less often if i can resist!

Thanks Tracy for encouragement, although your wrong to think i.am finding fasting easy! Quite the opposite! It gets a little better each time as i suss out the best foods to eat for me on fast days. Think that’s why i got a bit down when i didn’t lose anything!! Think the diet is quite radical and i don’t want a quick fix! I been reading about this diet for sometime and was just.deciding when to take the plunge. I did my tdee and it was 1919 sumthing around that. Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated

Hi kaybee24, I’m 5’4″ and started at 157 lbs. (11 st. 3 lbs.) last August. I’ve lost 38 pounds in 38 weeks so far by doing 5:2 plus walking a lot. But it hasn’t been an even pound each week. The scale will fluctuate a couple of pounds for who knows what reason — my weight has been going up and down the same 1.2 pounds all week, including going *up* 1.2 pounds after a fast day. I obviously did not gain 1.2 pounds of fat on a fast day, I just have to write off some minor weight fluctuations as unexplainable. And I have to realize that when I get to goal weight I should expect my weight to go up or down 2 or 3 pounds from that point for no particular reason, and not get concerned unless it stays up or keeps going higher. When I was annoyed with weighing scale madness, one member suggested only writing down each new, lower weight achieved, instead of weighing on an arbitrary day of the week and having to write down a higher number than the week before. That struck me as a good idea. Another thing is that I think the TDEE is unrealistically high for me, so I go with the TDEE for one activity level lower than what I think I qualify for. I really can’t eat very much any more without expecting to gain weight, age slows our metabolisms.

Yes, 5:2 is still hard work, yesterday I didn’t get enough sleep the night before a fasting day and had the hungriest fasting day I’ve had in a long time, but what works for me is that the hardest work of this plan is confined to 2 days a week. I can put up with pretty much anything for one day at a time, two days a week. Daily calorie restriction just results in me being hungry pretty much all the time, which is not a realistic long-term solution for me. Being hungry two days a week is much better. So hang in there! You can reach your goal 🙂

Hi Franfit, thanks for sharing your story.38lb in 38 weeks is amazing. You’ve inspired me so much. I did ny fast diet yday! Nice to be in a normal day now lol. Think i am going to leave the scales alone for a while. From reading everyone’s replies in guessing its not straightforward with the weekly weight loss showing up on the scales and giving it time is best. I will let you all know how i get on & no doubt lots of questions along the way..Thanks again for such a warm welcome. Glad i joined up

Well i am still here.. I still read the forum, and the advise is great. Ive stuck on the diet! Was dissapointed in the first few weeks i must admit…now slowly but surely i have got down to 11stone this is week 8. So all in all its taken 7 weeks to lose 6lb which is fantastic! But at times i i didn’t think i would lose anything..my exercise isn’t great really i cycle occasionally and do small exercises at home. My exercise isn’t over. I walk 2 miles a day out of necessity and have made small changes on the feast days Eg pizza without cheese. But i can say its made me far more aware of calories in food & i find myself making different choices to some of what I eat. I haven’t posted anything til now because it felt i didn’t have anything positive to say. But now i have. I am going to carry on and hopefully lose some more. On a fast day at its worse i plan breakfast in my head lol..at its best in think how cool i am to live off 500 cals in a day and how my body is cleansing. Slims a soup pkt soups help….haha! Thanks for listening once again

Hi I’m’ Jas
    just joined the forum and started the diet today. I need to lose 7 or 8 kgs, my husband and I returned to the Uk after living abroad for 30 years plus. He has undergone two hip replacements that have not heen very successful so our exercise routines have been limited to slow walking. I have recently had results of a bood test which revealed my cholesterol levels level is 7.2 so after reading I the press the benefjts of the 5.2 diet on cholesterol I am now following strictly. Jas

Hi kaybee
    Just thought I would add a comment regarding posts, personally I do not think you have to wait till you have something ‘positive’ to say before posting.
    Ultimately if you want to succeed with a new lifestyle and you are having problems/issues post and ask for support! Its sort of a family thing where potentially we can all help one another, learning from others experiences etc. I just think its good to feel supported by people who are on a similar journey to yourself.(Soap box rant over – lol).

Hi jas, great your giving the diet a go, be good to read how your getting on

Hi Pete/soton, didn’t mean to upset anyone, i think what i meant was when i said i didn’t have anything positive ti say was that in the early weeks i was all for giving up but persevered, read advice& tips on here & the,web in general. I didn’t need to post as i had nothing to ask or say. It does seem a great support network & its nice to be able to post, and
    have somewhere to read up.

And,again im sorry if i upset anyone. With regards to your comment regarding success Pete S – I’m a great believer that success comes from within.

Kaybee – please accept my apologies if you felt I was being ‘harsh’. Simply wanted to help you and all Fast Dieters remain positive (proud) of starting and embracing a new lifestyle.
    Probably, due to my history of diet failures I find myself doubting whether I will fail ‘yet again’ and my mindset is such that I want to try to be positive and upbeat even though inside I am screaming to rebel and revert to previous habits of eating.
    I am accredited as a ‘grumpy old man’ with a tee shirt and mug as verification, however I try my best to be cheery and praise others for their journey in 5:2 fasting.

Hi Pete, no not at all, dont apologise, its great to know everyone is doing the same thing & that the support is there if needed. Thanks for taking the time to reply to me 🙂

Well i completed week 12… I got under the 11 stone mark…at 10stone 12lb or thereabouts! I smiled so much! just because i felt stuck on 11 stone & was doubting if the diet was working anymore! ….its slow but sure & for now noticeable to other people & to my clothes! I feel good, and so glad ive stuck with this. Well done me! 😀 lost 8lb so far!

Found that stopping weighing myself as frequently & the small changes on non fast days is slowly showing…Keep at it anyone who feels downhearted because it will be worth it.

My journey is to lose 44kilos by the end of the year. I have lost 18k so far but have stuck on a plateau for the past 5 weeks. Not a happy bunny at the moment!!

Hi Pete:

I see you logged on to the site April 29 saying you were new to 5:2. So it has been about 12 weeks since you started.

So you lost almost 40 pounds in 12 weeks and you are unhappy?

Just curious.

After losing 18kg, you might need to check your TDEE again and make a small adjustment there?

Wow Pete almost 3 stone in such a short time! I too began this diet 13 weeks ago and have lost in the lbs..that really is good going & you should be super proud

simcoeluv is right you should be double happy not sad.
    Struggled yesterday in fast day I got it, just felt extra hungry then usual..does that mean my body is using up my fat storage superquick..Wishful thinking haha

Just to attempt to clarify a couple of points.
    I made the decision to loose weight at the beggining of this year 2014.
    Started to lose weight from March but felt the need to follow some form of plan.
    Looked at 5:2 fasting and started incorporating fast days from May.
    Exercise is difficult as I have a very sore hip with poor mobility.
    Obviously I am relieved that I have lost some weight but my 44kilo weight loss is essential if I am to get my hip issue resolved – if I do not reach BMI 40 I will not be allowed surgery. The longer my weight loss takes the longer I am in chronic pain.
    Probably I am just a little stressed at my current stagnation and frustrated that my target is slipping further away..?

I have an A5 week to a page diary dedicated to recording my daily food intake for every day. I am by no means perfect at recording every meal but it is the same system I have used for the past 6 months. My fast days have been closer to 500kc and my target for non fast days is 2500kc or less. So to plateau for the last4 weeks was unexpected.

I am a little grumpy simply because I feel my target is drifting further n further away and that in turn increases my stress.

Hi All, I’m new to the 5:2, just started yesterday, I’m hoping to lose 3 stone and improve my health, I’ve got the book on order from Amazon but was just a little unsure about something before I’ve had chance to read it. Should I fast on 2 days together? I was hoping to fast Mon and Tues, or should I fast on 2 different days, say a Mon and Wed?

Thanks
    John

Hi John

I believe the recommended fast days should be non- consecutive.
    Best wishes
    Pete

pete:

I suggest your rate of weight loss expectations may be a bit optimistic.

You state you have been losing around three pounds a week. That is very hard to do on an ongoing basis. To lose three pounds of fat a week you have to cut 10,500 calories out of your diet – that is 1,500 calories per day below your TDEE. Most people can’t do that unless they eat what is best described as a starvation diet. You don’t appear to have been eating that little.

That means some of your initial weight loss was water weight, and that explains your plateau.

Here is some information on how TDEE works which will allow you to figure out how much you can expect to lose given whatever number of calories you choose to eat: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

While you may not be losing weight as fast as you would like, there is no way you can call the progress on your diet a failure. I guess it is a failure if you think it is, but if you think it is a failure you should examine the way you think.

Just keep on going. 5:2 is not a rapid weight loss diet, but many have lost more than you want to lose doing 5:2. It just takes time.

Good Luck!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply.