New 5:2'er :)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  muffin10 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Hello everyone!

I’m Angie. I lost a lot of weight on my own in 2012 and part of 2013 and I have kept it off! I introduced 18/6 intermittent fasting near the end of my weight loss to help me maintain and that has been my way of eating ever since. I also add in a 24 hour water fast maybe once every other week.

This past weekend I completed my first 36 hour fast with mainly water, a little tea, a 1 cup of chicken broth, a teaspoon of coconut oil and a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses with water. I’m fat-adapted, but I was so surprised how easy the fast was. I didn’t even get hungry until hour 34! I’m going to attempt another 36 – 48 hour fast within the next few weeks.

Today is my first day with 5:2. I’m planning on making a filling chocolate/banana/peanut butter protein shake (almond milk, lots of spinach, chocolate protein powder, a 1/2 banana, a tablespoon of peanut flour and chia & hemp seeds) and I will have enough calories leftover for a small chocolate pudding.

I’m an all or nothing person, so I’m curious if it will work better for me not to eat 550 calories during my fast days so I wouldn’t turn my hunger “on” or if I should not eat anything for the entire day. I will give it two weeks to see how my body reacts.

I’m hoping to lose another dress size (I’m not concerned with scale weight or a time frame, just my measurements and fat loss) so I’m going to give the 5:2 diet a try.

I look forward to sharing my journey with you all!

Hi Angie! I too am new to this way of eating. I plan to officially start in a couple of days. It’ll be nice to chat with someone else who is currently on it aswell! Good luck to us both 🙂

Hi Kgml27! Thanks for taking the time to post. It would be great to chat someone with is also starting for the first time. Have you used any other intermittent fasting protocols before?

Good luck to you!

Not really. I’ve done a day or two of fasting, but that’s it. And that was eating nothing! So I’m thinking this will be much easier to stick with since we’re allowed to eat a little on the fast days!

That make sense! Also there are a lot of great low calorie recipes online that are actually filling.

If there is a private messaging system on this website (I couldn’t figure it out), please feel free to message me!

Hi! I just started today! I don’t have a lot to lose, only 9ibs or so but I’ve been trying for months without success – I enjoy food far too much! I’m sick of trying to fight with my appetite and cravings every day so thought the 5:2 would be the way forward for me as now (hopefully) I’ll only have to fight them for 2 days 😉 I’m totally new to any form of fasting so any tips would be appreciated! Good luck 🙂

Hi Nandlee and welcome:

Here is most of the information you need to be successful with 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hi Angie, kgml & Nandlee!

Nandlee, I had about 10 pounds to lose when I started last month and I’m now down 7. I really related to your post because I was tired of constantly fighting with my cravings too! I love this way of life. I feel so much better now and I actually crave the fasting days – to me it’s a break from eating, a time to focus on other things.

Some things that help me: green tea, easy meals (protein bar, frozen dinner – I don’t like to think about food choices on fast days), water with electrolytes and I usually have a flavored (no sweeteners) sparkling water before bed. I look forward to my meal at dinner and after dinner I say, “I can eat that tomorrow.” It definitely works, good luck!!

Hi everyone!

Day 1 went great for me! I held off eating until around 5pm and ate my meal over the course of about 1 hour and 15 minutes. I was not hungry last night and I am not hungry this morning. However, I’m looking forward to breaking my fast shortly with some blackberries to start, then 2 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon and a bagel!

I mentioned in my first post that I did a 36 hour fast Sat. night until Monday late morning. I ate regular on Monday and I fasted yesterday. I woke up this morning with a flatter, tighter belly and I feel great. I wonder how I will feel and look tomorrow morning after eating regular today? We’ll see!

Nandlee:
    My experience is a little different than yours because I’ve been eating mostly 18/6 (eating all of my calories within 6 hours) for the past 2 years. My body has adapted and is used to going without food.

– For tips I would say to go slow. Maybe start off doing one day a week rather than 2 and work your way up.

– Take it easy on fast days. Try not to workout or do strenuous activities.

– Don’t go grocery shopping and I would even limit watching tv. It can be a pain watching food-based commercials and watching people eating on tv shows when you’ve only ate 500 calories that day.

– You will get cravings, but like Emilyashen said tell your belly you can have it tomorrow. That is what I have done and it works.

Emilyashen: Hi and thanks for posting! Your words really motivated me. I don’t have much to lose myself so to see that you been doing this in one month and lost 7lbs is inspiring!

Thanks Emily and Angie! None fasting day today so enjoying a glass of beer 😉 fasting again tomorrow! you are right about avoiding shopping on fast days! I nipped to the shop last night for bread and the chocolate was shouting at me – ha ha. Good luck 🙂

hello everyone

im tryin to get my head around the ‘fasting’ days and what i could eat? does the 2 days av to be together r can it be few days apart? if anyone has got any advice on this it would b greatly appreciated as i avent got a clue what to eat. tia

I don’t think it matters loopylou, either together or apart! I’ve been on a fast day today and can honestly say haven’t really been hungry! I had porridge with water at mid day and salad for tea and lots of water/low cal drinks – good luck 🙂

thank u i really think im goin to struggle as its my first fast day tomorrow, ive downloaded the app so it gives me ideas and cals for some foods, think im goin use the 500 cals throughout the day tomorrow though xx

Good luck. It’s not as hard as you imagine it will be and they do get easier. Remember to drink loads and especially as it’s your first fast day if you go over the 500 calories don’t beat yourself up and give up it’s still reducing your overall calories.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply.