My New Plan (what do you think of Protein Shakes?)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
My New Plan (what do you think of Protein Shakes?)

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  CaptainElvis 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

• Hi Micheal & Mimi
    I am 42 year old male who has recently lost quite a lot of weight through exercise, but feel the danger of it coming back so want to take it to the next level. I read your book over the weekend.

I just started today and would love your feedback on my plan.
    .. A protein shake at 6am followed by a 1.5 hour session in the gym (circuit training, running, cross trainer, stationary bike, weights, squats, abdominal exercises). Another Protein Shake at 9am (both shakes mixed with water only) and a Green Apple. After this nothing besides water, black coffee and tea without milk.
    I plan to not eat again until another shake tomorrow at 6am, then gym again followed by breaking my fast with some boiled eggs and wholewheat toast then a normal lunch at 12.pm
    So far a few hunger pangs but nothing awful and feeling good.
    All the Best !
    Timothy

hi timothy,
    have you read the fast exercise book? I think you would get a lot out of it for your plan. Also why protein shakes?

Hi
    Not read the exercise book yet.. but may do..
    I have been drinking protein shakes to build a bit of muscle as I am doing quite a few weights now, but i find they fill me up too (kind of a meal replacement) which is why I am using them. Open to suggestions though !
    On my second fast day now and loving it..

this is just my opinion: protein shakes don’t teach you healthy eating habits. they are a fabricated processed food for the convenience of modern society. and a bit of a money making machine. would you give them to children as a meal replacement?

to live a healthy lifestyle one has to make an effort in the kitchen. how about steaming some chicken and vegetables? boiled egg on a bed of mushrooms and spinach? yoghurt and blueberry shake with lsa? kippers if you are a brit 😉

wouldn’t you agree that those foods must be better for you in the long run? i hope i haven’t caused offense, if you really like the shakes go for it, but can you see yourself drinking them for the rest of your life?

btw, fasting today as well, seems too easy. the other days are harder to not overindulge (so can see the point of shakes in that sense).

Agree with everything you say.
    I think the shakes are a convenience too, easy to make in the office etc, but if at home I can eat better…
    What did you mean about fasting today seeming too easy ?

regards

hey again,

what have you been munching on since i was last here? 🙂 summer is here for us in Australia so lots of fresh fruit and vegetables to enjoy!

Fasting is really easy for me and I look forward to those days when I don’t have to think about snacks or lunch to take to work. in the morning i just have my usual porridge with blueberries or banana, in the evening a salad or soup. no slumps at 3pm, no great hunger attacks, just… easy.

salads, soups and my new discovery – Quinola ! It’s amazing, healthy, tasty and can make salads, soup loads of stuff, have you tried ?

actually its spelled Quinoa LoL

Hey again,
    sorry I’ve left for the weekend… it was sad, we had our dog put to sleep, she was with us for 10 years, but you accept that when you own a pet. No, I did not drown my sorrow in chocolate. But I did not worry about a second fast day that week either.

Yes, I’ve made quinoa porridge because I love hot brekkie. I mix in either banana/blueberries or cranberries and walnuts. But my partner isn’t a huge fan, so I just use it when I cook for myself. Glad you discovered it!!!

P.S. reading an interesting book on fructose addiction and how nearly ALL our food is full of it. So, as the fasting is going great, I thought I’d try a month without fructose. Are you in ;-)???

Most protein shakes, even if taken with water, are still around the 120 to 160 calorie mark. On my fasting days I’d much prefer real food to fill this calorie space than a protein shake.

I do have 4 to 5 protein shakes on non fast days though, as I hit the gym and lift weights most days.

I have used whey protein powder mixed with plain yoghurt and berries (carefully weighed and measured) to make a 250 calorie smoothie for half my fast day allowance. This kind of combination has Iowish GI and I personally find that making my calorie allowance more in that direction – (rather than higher carb) is easier as I won’t get blood sugar spikes.

Hi Goliesmum:

I won’t weigh in on whether protein shakes are good or bad, but it is true that many people find eating food high in fat and protein on their diet days reduces their hunger. In addition, research by Varady shows women lose more weight when using liquid shakes than when eating regular food. The reason seems to be portion control rather than an inherent benefit of liquid shakes: http://www.nutritionj.com/content/11/1/98

Nothing wrong with protein shakes, but IMO this eating plan teaches portion control and encourages healthy eating, which is the way to keep weight off, so I wouldn’t want to substitute food for a protein shake. Having said that, another joy of this way of eating is that we can tailor it to our own needs and preferences so if it suits someone to have a protein shake rather than food, go for it.
    I’ll be fasting tomorrow and I’m having a steak for my dinner!

I use protein shakes a lot instead of food. They’re really good. Fast days are so much easier if I just have a shake for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and I don’t even have to think about food at all. I also just like them for breakfast in general, as it’s low calorie, high protein, very quick and easy, and fills you up.

Over the long term .ive used protein shakes as mentioned in the other post as a way to control or limit myself if im stuggling.

I dont use shakes as my food intake for on a menu.
    but I know how I will react to a 200 cal protein shake so its a back up tool for me.

I’ve been supplementing with a diet Whey protein shake before my mile walk to work. I think they are fantastic (I mix it with unsweetened almond milk) though too sweet (strawberry flavour). Next time I will get an unsweetened one. I’m trying to mend a 10 year old haematoma on my hip and whey protein is meant to help. Just one a day and salads and sushi. You get everything you need including your Omegas and they do fill you up for ages. I have lost 11b so far this week doing this.

I think the protein shakes Are good. Especially if exceeding as they restore grey to the isles fast. Mostly safe if used in moderation one would think. Fabricated food yes, but maybe this time a good one over all. Sure satisfies the chocolate addict In me as wel! LoL

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply.