My 16 week countdown

This topic contains 467 replies, has 39 voices, and was last updated by  annette52 7 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 473 total)

• Hi Aud,

I wondered where you had got to. It sounds as though you are doing great. Have a wonderful time in Whitby – lovely place. And if you do over-indulge – and why shouldn’t you? – those steep hills will burn off a few calories.

When we were there a couple of years back we witnessed a Viking funeral just before sunset. It was for a young local man who had drowned while trying to help a friend in difficulties. A very moving event.

Hi everyone,

Again it is a while since I posted. I have been so busy at work, gym, social events, just keeping going that I feel I haven’t had a moment to myself. Today I am working from home, which is a rare thing in this new job. Loads to do with my project (team reduced to just me now) but I have taken the opportunity to do a big food shop (started at 8am) and go to the opticians and now I have decided to take a lunch break – though I am not eating as I ate a decent breakfast mid-morning.

Today I have registered another 1lb loss (after a few weeks staying the same). It is hard work losing at the moment. Admittedly I had a “heavy” weekend, eating & drinking with friends in London, and then didn’t make the gym at all this week (so far) as I’ve been knackered and/or working late – and last night I was stuck in traffic for 2 hours so very late home. So I’ll happily settle for 1lb. Vital statistics:

starting weight (19 Aug 13) 13st 8.5lbs
    weight now (1 Aug 14) 11st 3.5lbs
    TOTAL LOSS = 33lb or 2 stone 5lb

Can’t see me getting to 11 stone or under by my 1 year anniversary but I will try very hard for the next two weeks. My next target date is my holiday to Spain on 12th September, only 6 weeks away now.

@ Precious Boo Boo – sorry I didn’t see your reply to me before on the LOACA thread – but lovely to hear from you again. Hope everything is going well.

@annette – no real celebrations planned for my 1 year mark (plus just passed my new hip’s 6 month birthday) – I am just so grateful and happy that I am fully mobile again, and that I am developing a much better shape. I am really trying to push myself at the gym. I can now do a full 30 minutes on the cross trainer (8 minutes nearly killed me at first!) and I have fashioned my own version of interval training, which definitely uses more calories that just plodding along. I still have lots of flabby bits and I’ve not yet had the confidence to go to a class – I am just working on general fitness and toning for a while yet. Hope you are also starting to see some results from the changes you have made.

@Aud – how lovely to hear from you again – I was worried about you πŸ™‚ And how fantastic to go to Whitby on holiday. It is one of my favourite places – all that coast in fact – Robin Hood’s Bay etc. I am from the North East originally and have had lots of holidays there over the years – it’s the area that my husband and myself are considering retiring to (albeit in 10 years time!) Anyway I hope you have a wonderful time and manage to take some time to think about how you can reduce your stress – you don’t just want to back to all that after a relaxing break. And keep in touch!

@linda – not heard from you in a while – how is it going? Downwards I hope -do give me an update – you’ll be on your Australia countdown by now.

Hope everyone has a great week ahead..now I must get back to work!

Cath xx

Hi Cath, good to hear from you – you are a very busy bee at the moment aren’t you? Well done on the weight loss, every little helps as they say and if your shape is changing that is good too.

I’ve not been on for a while because I’ve had nothing good to report really. What I have to report now is that I have put 3lbs back on because I was a real pig last week! That’s the only word for it – I just couldn’t seem to control myself. I am determined to be extra good now for the next 4 and a bit weeks as Australia is looming (6th September). I think I have become a little bit complacent and let things slip a bit on my non-fast days really. I know this can be the slippery slope to piling it all back on and it will be nobody’s fault but my own if I do.

Anyway enough moaning, I hope you are still enjoying your job even though you are really busy. You will be ready for that holiday in Spain. Linda

Feeling good this week even if I have stayed the same. I know it all hinges on my weekend behaviour because I am super-good in the week fitting in my 2 fast days and 2 hard gym workouts and eating sensibly! So it is up to me to get strict at weekends too.

I am definitely getting fitter as I am now managing a full 30 minutes on the cross trainer and I discovered that upping the level by just 1 (from 3 to 4) doubled the calorie burn to 540! Then I do 30 minutes weights/toning – using pretty low weights for legs as my hip is still sensitive, and I can see the difference in my arms and legs. Mt stomach on the other hand is still very flabby!

This week I also started dancing lessons! Last winter when I was miserable and in pain with my hip, watching Strictly and wishing I was well enough to dance, my husband offered to go to lessons with me when I was recovered from my hip replacement. Honestly, he is the most unlikely candidate for dancing (even dancing to up to date music I tease him about his lack of ability and ‘dad dancing’) but we agreed and I held him to it. On Wednesday night he could not have been less enthusiastic and I thought he might bail on me – but we got there and both loved it. We started to learn the American Smooth and the Cha Cha Cha – and he was actually better than I was at remembering the steps. I have to say that my hip really ached afterwards (a particular leg-swing in the Cha Cha Cha to blame I think) but that has just made me more determined to build the surrounding muscles at the gym. And of course we both burnt off calories! So it is all good πŸ™‚

So I am now at 51 weeks into this regime and have just 4 lb now to go get under 11 stone and only 2lb to reach the 2.5 stone loss since 19th August last year. I am not confident of doing either by the anniversary – but I will try very hard to get under 11 stone by 12th September – 5 weeks away – when I go on holiday.

@ Linda – I think we are cut from the same cloth with our weekend/social life excesses – but I’d be miserable without weekends to look forward to, and I know I’ll lose it eventually even if it takes a bit longer. I will Definitely not regain – not least as my size 16/18 wardrobe has been replaced by a size 12/14 one (mainly) and I love my new clothes, shape and mobility and want to continue.

Hope everyone has a great week

Cath xx

I started the fast diet on April 17. I have just finished the 16th week!. During this process, I added some exercise at least 2 times a week (biking) and whenever possible another fast day. 17 April/ May was mostly 5:2, June was entirely 4:3 July was mostly 5:2. 16th week was 4:3.
    I usually weight myself after a fast day in the morning. my first measurement was after the second fast day in April (week 1).
    April 21: 199 pounds
    August 7: 174 pounds
    25 pounds in 16 weeks : 1.56 pounds per week average.
    Goal: 165 to 160 pounds (I am getting close)
    To me it works if I add exercise and another fasting day when possible as I have a tendency to not eat β€œnormally” sometimes.

Hi Mike – you have done amazingly well in 16 weeks! I am totally with you on adding additional exercise and/or going 4:3 to see some consistent losses. Whilst I have stuck to 2 fast days over the last few months, the loss has been rather stop/start & gradual.

I probably should explain that the title of my thread was due the fact I started the 5:2 to prepare for a total left hip replacement – and when I started I had 16 weeks to lose as much as I could. The orthopaedic surgeon told me that it would make a major difference to both the operation and the rehab – and he was absolutely right. I’d lost about 1.5 stone when I had the op (way back on Jan 18th!) and I’ve lost almost another stone since then.

I am now fully mobile and out of pain and still on 5:2. I reckon I have about 11lb to go to hit the top of ‘normal’ BMI – an maybe around a stone to get to where I’d like to stay on maintenance. Sounds like that is pretty similar to yourself. Next week I hit my 1 year anniversary (although over the year I think I have not followed the regime for around 10 weeks of holidays, Xmas and during my op and hospitalisation)which is a real milestone. It is just a way of life now and I feel really positive about the changes!

Good luck to you – let me know how you get on πŸ™‚

Great and inspirational work Cathy. I am also in the big loser club (52lbs now). When you’ve done a year+ there is no going back, be proud of your achievement and the goal seems so easily reachable!

Hi Cath, wow dancing lessons! I’d love to be able to dance and if strictly is anything to go by it’s certainly helps with the weight loss. Doing something fun as excercise is a bonus too.

I agree when you say you and I seem to be cut from the same cloth and, apart from the weekend/social life excesses both of us want to get below 11 stone before our holiday.

I am happy to report that I have lost the couple of pounds I put on last week and am 11.1 which is the lightest I have been since at least 2009! I was looking through some old diaries last night and in 2009/2010 I was at the high end of 12 stone and got to 13.3 at one point. I hadn’t realised that and thought that before I started 5:2 last year at 12.13 I was the heaviest I had ever been – obvioulsy not! Realising that I am now over 2 stone lighter than that makes me feel good. I will continue to be “good” so that I can get under that 11 stone mark for September.

Tombaron, I have seen your posts in other places (I read a lot of the other osts but don’t put many comments on) .Well done for your loss, what a great achievement.

Linda

Hi everyone,

Well it now officially ONE WHOLE YEAR year of doing 5:2 (started Monday 19th August last year). I’ve been extra good this week and snuck in a 3rd fast day – although I did eat a really big tea last night as I was ravenous!

So the scales this morning show another half pound off this week – bringing me to a grand total for the year of 33.5 lbs!

weight now (15 Aug 14) 11st 3.0lbs
    TOTAL LOSS = 33.5lb or 2 stone 5.5lb

I so want to get under 11 stone before my hols in 4 weeks time – but one thing I have learned is that progress is not linear. Some weeks when I have done 4:3 and lots of gymming I lose nothing or half a pound – other weeks it could be 2lb when I don’t feel I have tried very hard. But at least the trend is downwards!

@tombaron – wow 52 lbs is a fantastic achievement – you must feel great – well done indeed! And I truly agree there is no going back. Although my principal reason for starting this was health related, I feel great in clothes now and no longer dread figuring out what to wear or have to spend ages pondering which outfit makes me look least fat. And travelling for work was a nightmare as I had to take so many alternatives! Kate Moss once said “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels” and although she was criticised and it seems a shallow comment, I can relate to it in as much as I feel great every day now about my fitness, shape and wardrobe (compared to the old me) and that is worth a few hunger pangs twice a week! I am not aiming to ever be skinny – but slimmer and healthier and more mobile is fantastic.

@linda – oooh you are so close now to being 10-something – you can definitely do it! And over 2 stones is brilliant – even better than you thought. Just think how great you’ll feel in Australia. I am actually off to London for a long weekend with my husband – cue lots of food and drink – so I need to keep an eye on myself – then a big push for the last 4 weeks before Spain.

I really feel now that this is just my standard way of life – I make a few sacrifices a few times a week – but the rewards (snails pace as they currently are) are just amazing!

Have a great week everyone.

Cath xx

Hi Cath, Congratulations on your 33.5lb loss, what a great achievement.

I’ve stuck this week with no loss but at least I haven’t put any back on. I have been using the Vibrapower disc I told you about and do seem more toned so perhaps it’s more muscle? Perhaps it’s the same with you. I had two more people this week commenting about my weight loss and someone last week too so even though I haven’t lost much recently I must look different.

I’m still aiming for under 10stone before Australia but even if I don’t make it I’ll know it’s not for the want of trying. I read in one post “if hunger isn’t the problem, food isn’t the answer” and I am trying to keep that in my head when my hand reaches for something I really know I don’t need.

Have a great weekend in London, don’t be too hard on yourself! Linda

Hi everyone,

Well I’ve stayed the same this week – but that’s quite an achievement as I had a very heavy long weekend in London catching up with old friends, including one quite spontaneously who was just passing through. All of them, and especially the one I wasn’t expecting to see, are big drinkers so it was a bit of a blowout – and although I ate very little on Friday to compensate, that just meant I had a shocking hangover on Saturday and therefore compensated with food. Regardless, we had a brilliant time!

I have managed 2 fast days since then, although shifted to Tues/Thurs rather than Mon/Weds but I’ve been so tired all week that I’ve not made it to the gym at all, though we still did our “Strictly” class on Wednesday. I actually expected to gain weight this week so staying the same is fine:-)

So now only 3 weeks until I’m off to Spain on holiday for 10 days. I really can’t wait – and as I don’t have too many social events planned between now and then, I am going to do my utmost to get to 10-something before I go.

Linda – sounds like the Vibrapower disc is working! I too feel like I’m starting to tone up, but still a way to go. And did you mean under 10 stone? I like your way of thinking!!! How long until Australia now??

Cath x

Hi Cath, silly me I meant under 11 stone – wishful thinking! I’m nearly there, just under 11 stone this morning. Surely I can get another couple of pounds off in 2 weeks – Australia is 2 weeks tomorrow.

Well done on no weight gain Cath – sounds like you had an amazing weekend. Lets both give it one last push to get to 10-something. Linda

Hi everyone,

Managed a 1lb loss this week so things are moving in the right direction. 2 weeks before my hols now – would love to drop 2.5 more lbs and edge under the 11 stone barrier…we’ll see. Also planning an Xmas/New Year beach holiday so that will be my goal for getting to my target weight.

Linda – just a week to go to Oz now – how are you getting on?

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Cath x

Hi Cath, well done on the loss, I’m sure you will get there. An Xmas/New beach holiday sounds fab. Where are you thinking of going?

Not so sure about me though – still not under 11 stone but thankfully a lot less than the horrifying 11stone 5lb when I got weighed on Monday (I didn’t think the weekend had been that heavy!)I know I said that if I didn’t get there it would not be for want of trying but, thinking about it, it is my own fault because I know there have been times when I could have tried harder. No point beating myself up about it now though. I will just do my best for the next week and get back into it when I get back. Linda x

Hi Cathy and Linds,

Sorry I haven’t been commenting much but still reading πŸ™‚
    Well done both of you with that below-11 stone goal in sight, that’s my mini goal too, but it’s a way off for me. I’m encouraged by your progress but I definitely now need to try harder. I had a great holiday a month ago (went to Whitby, lovely, only splurged on chips once); came back the same weight! Then got sick with a stinking cold (my third this year, arrgh) so reverted to 6:1 and gave up the exercise as the chest infection got me. Now very much on the mend and with a 5:2 week behind me, I’m looking forward to next week.

Have a great holidays, ladies!
    Aud x

Hi aud,

Good to know you are still around and still hanging on in there. You are sure to get there in the end. πŸ™‚ Whitby is lovely, isn’t it? Time we made a return visit. Hope the work situation has eased.

Do stay in touch,

Hermaj x

Hi Aud!
    I’m still lurking too – especially on fast day.
    Hope you are well πŸ™‚

Hi Lindy!
    I find following slow and steady progress like Linds and Cathy’s helpful to know and I keep hoping I’ll start to lose again. I’m keeping it off though! *gasps* (lol)

Stay well,
    Aud x

I am happy with my weight and size now, but perversly keep wanting to lose another half stone. Just as a bit of leeway I think.
    We must remember this is Fasting not a fast diet – so slowly and surely will bring weight loss and other benefits to our bodies!
    x

Well the final weigh in before my hols this morning and I am still 11.02!! Just didn’t quite manage it although I will probably jump on the scales at 5am Saturday morning just to be sure. I’m not going to worry about it too much while I am away, besides the one pair of size 12 trousers I am taking will let me know if I am over doing it!

I hope you get to under 11stone before you go away Cath and have a wonderful time.

Aud, it’s been very slow and steady at times, more like 1 step forward and 2 steps back even but at least I am 26lb lighter than this time last year which is incredible. I will return from Australia with a new determination.

Linda

Just popping in quickly to say well done Linda – and I hope you have an amazing time in Australia! We are the same weight – 11st 2 – and I doubt I am going to dip under 11 in the next week (bad weekend just gone so I am making up for that this week!). Anyway just enjoy yourself and get back in the groove when you get back. Have fun!

Cath x

Well it is pretty obvious that I am not going to get under 11 stone before my holiday. I’ve been good this week (2nd fast day today), although I have only managed 1 gym visit, but I am hovering around the same old 11 stone 2lb mark.

I know I will gain on holiday as I have no intention of eschewing ice cold Spanish beer and delicious tapas. Hopefully I won’t gain too much – I know I can’t (and don’t want to)eat anywhere near as much as I used to and I am far better at stopping when full so that should help. I am so desperate to have my break in the sun. It is my first proper holiday for a year, despite lots of time not working, so I am really looking forward to it.

I need to come back with a determination to shed any excess gained plus the last stone or so and get to the ‘normal’ BMI rate. I am pretty sure I’ll have to resort to 4:3 and lots of gym visits as I just seem to maintain on 5:2 but that’s OK. Have now booked Xmas holiday to Portugal and Cape Verde – woo hoo- so that will be my motivation!

Good to hear from everyone – and to see you are all hanging in there!

Cath x

Well done Cath, you are doing brilliantly.

I am back in the groove and hoping to lose 14 lb or 14 inches, or a combination of in the next 14 weeks.My plan is to do that vague sort of calorie counting this week, to see where I am going wrong and to write everything down.

Also to get back to the gym and work on getting stronger arms.I am weedy.

The holiday is quite an incentive and I am sure that you will do well.

Oh dear!!! Had a wonderful holiday, quite restrained at times and arrived home last night. But today I weighed myself and I have gained 8lb – omg! I can’t believe it – or perhaps I can (!)

I had decided to have a ‘cutting down’ day today as I am off work – as my parents were staying over and setting off for home today. But after that shocker this morning it just HAD to be a fast day. I am now nearer 12stone than 11 for the first time in months so I am hereby on a very very strict regime.

Good to hear you are back in the groove Annette. I reckon there are now 12 full weeks before Xmas festivities and then my next sunny holiday so I intend to lose at least a stone in that time πŸ™‚

Cath xx

Phew – after a very strict few days my weight has stabilised at 11 stone 4lb – so only 2 gained overall on my holiday as opposed to 8. Just need to keep on the regime now!

C x

Hi Cathy (and everyone else πŸ™‚ )

WELL DONE on shedding those 6lbs, you must have been very strict. Just keep focussed on your Christmas holiday (which sounds wonderful) and all your lovely new clothes!

Aud x

Hi Cath, well done on your loss since you came back from your hols, I’m not sure I can do that well! I’m glad you had a wonderful holiday.

After an amazing time in Australia I bit the bullet and got weighed on Saturday morning after returning on the Friday and was pleased to find I had only put on just under 7lb. It’s still quite a bit but it could have been a lot worse! I’ve not really got back into the swing of things yet and I have quite a heavy week this week too but I will see what I can do and then really go for it from next week. I want to lose another stone too if I can before Christmas (on top of what I have put on in Australia)so I need to get back into it as soon as I can.

Portugal and Cape Verde will be great at Christmas and a great incentive.

Annette – Good luck with your plan, I hope it’s going well. Linda

I have been unbelievably strict this week with 3 fast days, lower cal non-fast days and 3 gym visits and I have got back down to 11stone 2 – I was delighted when I had my weigh in his morning. Now I am going to keep up this regime as far as possible until for the next few months as I am determined to get to ‘normal’ BMI (10 stone 6) at the very least before Xmas.

Aud lovely to hear from you – I saw another post from you and it sounds like you are doing well πŸ™‚

Linda – so glad you had an amazing trip. Don’t worry about the 7lb, you’ll get them off soon. We’ll need to encourage each other over the next few weeks as we have very similar goals.

Hope everyone is still doing well…

Cath xx

Hi Cath, wow, well done for losing another 2lb! I managed to lose 2lb so not doing too badly. I am going to try harder this week and see what I can do. You’re right, we do have very similar goals because I want to get to at least 10 stone 7 before Christmas; the trouble is it will be on us before we know it!

I have a cold now so, as I can’t taste much, it will be a good reason to stop eating! Linda x

Hi everyone,

I’ve gone down by half a pound this week after a very strict 4:3 regime. Unfortunately only 1 gym visit fitted in – rather frustrated as on Wednesday I didn’t go as I was supposed to be having my hair done and then my hairdresser cancelled, and then last night I got stuck in terrible traffic coming home from work – for 4 hours!!! The whole M56 motorway between Chester and Manchester was closed for a terrible accident.

So not a great week for exercise and work stress is really ramping up as my project (which I loathe and detest) is due to go live a week on Sunday…my contract ends on 31st Oct so I am also having to job hunt!

Looking at it positively though I have now reached the significant total loss of 2.5 stones at last – it has taken almost 14 months (probably nearer 11-12 months o the regime if you count all the times I have not done 5:2 e.g. Xmas, holidays and my hip replacement op) so it is a major milestone:

weight now (10 Oct 14) 11st 1.5lbs
    TOTAL LOSS = 35lb or 2.5 stone

The 4:3 is definitely yielding results. I don’t find Mondays and Wednesdays hard at all (especially Mondays – I hardly notice at all), but Thursdays are hell as it is back to back with Wednesday and I have to force myself to stay on the straight and narrow.

Other good news is that I tried on the size 12 trousers I bought as a second pair to go with my new work suit (the original 14s are quite big on me now) and they fit – too snugly to feel comfortable, but they zip up fine and look just about OK – so in a few more pounds time I should be able to wear them.

How is everyone else doing?

Linda – any joy this week – I am sure we can both lose the pounds before Xmas – 10 full weeks between now and Xmas week!

Aud & Annette – how are things with you?

Cath xx

Spectacular results, Cath. Give that woman a medal! πŸ™‚

As the world’s slowest loser and second-time-around plateau queen, your achievement gives me hope. It’s taken me since Feb 2013 to lose a little over two stone with one more to go. I’ll still be marginally overweight (BMI 25.8 which looks pretty damned good compared with 33.3 where I started) but it will be a weight which I know from experience I can achieve and at which I look and feel great. If and when I get there, I’ll decide whether I want to lose a wee bit more or simply maintain.

I’m too much of a wuss to do 4:3, but I’ve made my fast days on 5:2 stricter – no breakfast or lunch, save it all for evening when I actually feel hungry, and stay as close to 400 as possible. And carb-free – or at least very low carb – lunches on non-fast days.

May I join you in saying hi to Aud and Annette? MA done and dusted, dissertation delivered. Now all I can do is wait.

Hope your job scene is getting more bearable, Aud. How are *your* studies going, Annette? I bet now you are well into your Master’s it’s a tad easier than you thought it would be. πŸ™‚ Good luck, anyway.

Hi Cath, well done on your loss this week and 2.5 stone altogether is amazing no matter how long it took. I’ve managed one and a bit pounds which brings me to 11stone 3lbs so I am getting there. I’ve thought about 4:3 but not tried it get although I am trying to be extra good on Tuesdays and Thursdays (my fast days are usually Monday and Wednesay)and see how that goes.

I have some size 12 trousers I can still get into after my holiday which I was surprised at. It’s great isn’t it when you find that sizes you couldn’t get into before are now fitting. I don’t know if we have ever said what height we are. I’m just under 5’4″ so a bit of a short arse.

Sorry you are feeling stressed and will have to go job hunting again. I didn’t realise it was only a short-term thing. Linda x

Thanks Hermaj and Linda for the congratulations πŸ™‚

Hermaj – 2 stones is fantastic – and I know the rate of loss really slows down and sometimes plateaus – but you just have to keep on with it and it will happen eventually – but that last stone is the hardest. I know I am definitely not as strict as I was to start with but I am committed to doing 4:3 for the next few weeks just to try to get some decent losses in prior to the festive season, but I’m sure your extra strict fast days will have an effect. Congratulations on finishing your dissertation!!How long will you have to wait for the result?

Linda – well done, you are getting there bit by bit. My height is rather a source of debate in our house. For years I claimed to be 5ft 5.5ins, but my husband, who I’ve known for 11 years, ridiculed that claim and has always insisted I am much shorter – either 5ft 3 or 4. When I had my op, back in January, the hospital measurement was 5 ft 4.5in so I’ll go with that! I’ve been in size 12 jeans for a while but yes it’s great to start thinking I can be a real size 12 for trousers etc. And I will have to try to get my stress in check. I chose to do contract work after redundancy as it is much better paid and I can choose contracts that don’t involve travel/staying away – but the downside is regular job hunting and in this particular role I am running a really technical project and I could write my technical knowledge on the back of a postage stamp with room to spare! Anyway only 3 more weeks of it….

Cath xx

Hi Cath,

Thanks for the encouragement. I shouldn’t moan too much as 5:2 has turned out to be the first diet – or way of eating, I should say – that has ever really worked for me and losing 2 stone-plus is nothing short of miraculous.

Part of the problem was that I had always eaten healthily – clearly not quite healthily enough, probably a matter of quantity rather than quality – and I didn’t have to make that many adjustments to my diet. Clearly, the fasting was the game-changer. Also I guess my losses were never going to be as spectacular as for someone who had previously been on the pork pie and doughnuts diet who started 5:2-ing and immediately shed huge amounts of weight.

The other part of the problem was being grossly overfed as a kid, all basically healthy home-cooked food but in humungous portions. Whether it is true scientifically or not I don’t know, but I believe fat cells laid down in childhood are always there waiting to be filled.

Thanks for asking about the MA. All being well I should hear around mid-November. Various uni committees have to sit and wrangle over the marks and earlier assignments have to be considered alongside the dissertation. I’ve done fairly respectably throughout and unless I’ve screwed up mightily on the dissertation I should pass and it’s just possible that I could end up with a Merit mark overall. Fingers crossed.

I see you work to contract. What do you do? I also work in a similar way and can refuse assignments I don’t feel comfortable with. Most of the time, though, I get given great things to do – I’m a translator specialising in Arts & Media – and I work from home. As long as I meet the deadlines, no one cares if I sit in front of the computer in my nightie. πŸ™‚

I am inspired by you all.
    Well done Cath, amazing achievement, no matter how slow.Hermaj, well done on the completion of the dissertation and all the work before.
    I found that the pace of work and continual essay deadline of the OU, combined with family life a bit of a disaster with the FD.I have put on weight and more importantly, inches that are making my skirts rather uncomfortable.
    I am having a break from the OU. First module completed which I absolutely loved and now a year off to save up my pennies for the next one.I need a break from the pace anyway and plan to read those books which were skim read for essay purposes.
    I did 2 fast days this week, back to back, and it was fine.I am planning to do 2 more spread out this week and then thought that I would have a bash at ADF and see how that goes. I would love to shift some inches from my hips and waist in the 10 weeks before Christmas. I shall keep checking in to see how you are all getting on.

Hi Hermaj,

I know what you mean about the ‘healthy eating’. I’ve never eaten junk food and don’t have a sweet tooth at all (I could honestly easily live without sweets, chocolate, cakes etc. for ever), but I love cooking and eating out and just ate giant portions of everything and kept going even when full. I’ve really learned about portion control now and to listen to my body so that I stop eating when full (and often order or cook less to start with in anticipation).

It sounds like you worked really hard on your dissertation so I’m sure your mark will reflect this. I know it is still an anxious wait for the actual result – I really hope you get the mark/grade you are hoping for πŸ™‚

I have only just started contract work after many years as a permanent employee. I am an IT Project Manager – but very much of the non-technical variety. I spend the last few years managing teams of contractors, but I never had the savings to comfortably risk contracting myself – as obviously there could be gaps in between and I am the main breadwinner. My husband recently returned to work after a 4 year degree course and a year of unemployment, and still earns only a fraction of what I do.

Then about a year ago I was offered redundancy out of the blue and decided to take the plunge. I am almost through with a 5 month contract/project for a large American Bank – great money, around half the hours I did before, but unfortunately very technical. Anyway 3 more weeks to go and I need to line something up to start in November – though having a few weeks off wouldn’t be a disaster – and to be honest I’d quite like that!

Annette – well done on sticking in with the studying and I hope you start seeing the FD results soon. I’m sure you will!! I am really trying to put in some tough 4:3 weeks and gym trips in the pre-Xmas lead up so we can support each other

Cath xx

Hi Cath,
    Very interesting hearing what you have been up to.Mutual support would be great. Goal to get rid of the inches that have crept on the hips and bust. Begone!

This is a lovely thread, & sounds very encouraging to me – I’ve been horrified to hit my heaviest ever weight, having gained a stone over the summer months thanks to mindless eating, so the time has come for determined action! I had moderate success with this last year on the approach to my sister’s wedding, so I know I can cope with fast days. Mine will be a 10-week countdown: I’m doing my first fast today, planning the next on Thursday – this pattern works well with my fitness & work routines, and allows me to relax a little at the weekends. Aiming for a 10% loss to begin with, which will get me back into some of my favourite clothes in time for Christmas – any extra I will count as a bonus! Ever hopeful, eh? πŸ™‚

Hi Cathyork,

Sorry, I should have thanked you before for your interesting post and for your good wishes re the MA.

I completely identify with the ‘healthy but humungous’ way of eating you describe. Could it have been the way we were brought up? You know, clear your plate, think of the starving refugees, etc.

As a technoklutz extraordinaire I have the deepest respect for anyone involved with IT. Do you usually work onsite for your clients? If so, I understand why you need to pick and choose which projects to accept. And isn’t it nice to have the odd break, as you may do in November, especially if you know there is work on the horizon. The worrying bit is when you finish a project and then sit twiddling your thumbs for weeks on end, although happily I haven’t had too much of that over the past couple of years. However, I did take ‘study leave’ to do the dissertation, which of course meant nothing coming in. Fortunately, when I was ready to go again, jobs began gently flowing in.

I’m also the main breadwinner. My other half has been a freelance programmer for years, but more and more clients sending their stuff offshore meant that work has dwindled alarmingly. He still gets the occasional assignment but he decided to reinvent himself as an instructor in Shibashi/Tai Chi/Qi Gong (one of the gentler forms of martial art) and only yesterday he learned that he was now fully qualified. What was your husband’s degree in? Great that he did well and has now found a job.

The word ‘job’ reminds me that I’d better get on with mine. One last question, does your ‘handle’ mean you live in York. Lucky you, living in such a beautiful city.

Hermaj xx

Hi All,

I started this when I was diagnosed with Pre-Diabetes last year. It shook me up a bit although I also knew that I had piled on the pounds over the summer through ” mindless eating” then not getting rid of the holiday pounds and adding more on top leaving me the heaviest I had ever been! I’m an all or nothing type of person so the 2 days works well for me and, after a few goes at different things, I find that eating little or nothing during the day and saving it all for my evening meal works best for me.

I haven’t been re-tested yet, although I go for the blood test next week, and have lost 26 pounds so far although I’ve still a couple to lose that I put back on in Austalia.

Cath, sadly I love chocolate and it’s very hard for me to have “just one” so I have to do without. Even on non-fast days I have to be careful or I would just blow the calories for the week which is another reason I like this WOE as it makes me think more about what I am eating and the choices I am making i.e. whether to stuff my face and undo the good work I have put it on fast days.

To be honest I just love food and I agree that the portions handed out when I was young and the bread to “fill you up” haven’t helped. Living on my own I also find it hard to cook for one but am finding it easier to throw some away or freeze it rathen then be a pig and eat the lot. It’s odd but I am just about ok now if I don’t have any bread in the house although I was finding that sometimes I didn’t have any all week so it went to waste. I agree too that we were taught to eat everything on our plate and think of those starving in Etheopia or wherever which is why I find it hard to waste stuff.

I think I’m getting there but it’s a slow job and, as you all know, not as easy as others make out. Linda x

Hi cathyork,

There are moves afoot on the ‘lose 2lb a week’ thread, where you occasionally post, for as many as can make it to meet up face to face. Plans are still in their early stages but there seems to be a concensus that York might be a good place to go.

Three questions: Do you live in or near York as your handle suggests? Would you like to join the party? If you are a local lady, have you any suggestions where we might meet and eat?

One possible date is the w/e of 29/30 November to coincide with the Christmas market. It’s not clear yet if it will be there-and-back-in-a-day, or a stopover.

Hi Hermaj,

Sorry for the delay in replying – I haven’t stopped this week – work has gone mental and I’ve been hitting the gym every night!

I actually live in Manchester, not York – although I do love York, and after lovely winter weekend breaks there last year and the year before, my husband and I decided that we will retire there (in about 10 years time!)I’d definitely be keen to come but I am going on a trip to the Berlin Xmas markets that weekend with my mam & dad!

Post more later

Cath x

Hi everyone – Linds, Hermaj, Annette, Aud and hello Batwench!

Late post this week – probably as I was rather disappointed to stay the same week despite REALLY trying! I also just haven’t stopped – work is mega-busy and my project “Go Live” has slipped out to sometime in November due to unforeseen (and frankly mystifying) technical issues; I’ve been trying to fit in the gym and doing household stuff and I had a full day on a learn to sew course on Saturday (booked ages ago via Groupon) which was interesting but knackering. Also my 95 year old gran-in-law has been taken into hospital so my poor husband is trekking up and down to see her. I’ve just spent the last 4 hours trying to cook stuff to freeze for this week to try and save a bit of time – phew!

So back to it next week – determined to lose something.

How is everyone else doing – any joy????

Cath xx

Hi Cath, not good news for me either this week – I didn’t lose anything although have only myself to blame for eating the chocolates again!!

I’ve been for my bloods etc. today though and I only weighed 11 stone which is 5lb less than what I weighed on my own scales this morning (with clothes on). I can’t have lost 5lb in 45 mins! I will have to get weighed somewhere else and see what they say!!!

Back to it for me too – I must lose some more. Christmas is not that far off and I need some new jeans but seem to be between sizes at the moment.

Good luck this week and I hope your gran-in-law is ok – Linda x

If you’re carrying many extra pounds, you face a higher-than-average risk of a whopping 50 different health problems.
    So don’t wait just make up your mind and start fasting

Hi Cath,
    How is your gran-in-law?

Two weeks done of very strict FD with the scales moving a smidgen in the right direction, sadly my hips don’t seem to be following!I will have a weigh/measure/try on tomorrow morning and hopefully there will be some shrinkage somewhere.
    Two sessions with the sports physio are working wonders even though I can hardly walk for the 2 days afterwards.Hopefully I can get back to the gym next week, even if it is only for my arms.

Eight weeks clear, until the week of madness. I would love to lose 2 inches off my hips and bust by then. It seems an awfully big ask, but that is my goal.

Blimey what a week!

I have been so so good doing 4:3 and I have fitted in 2 tough gym sessions, plus I was extra strict on non-fast days. And the result? A measly half a pound loss! Must admit to being disappointed, looking at my chart I have been 11 stone something since the beginning of February – almost 9 months – that is ridiculous!

So now 11 stone 1lb and DETERMINED to get to 10 stone something.

My poor gran-in law has been in hospital for over a week, and my poor knackered hubby has been trailing to see her very single day. It was her 95th birthday yesterday and she is remarkably chipper. Just after her 90th she fell and broke her hip and it was pinned but she never really learnt to walk on it properly after that. She struggles around her flat on a zimmer frame – amazingly she still lives alone with a 15 minute care visit each day! They are tough these old northern birds! Anyway she had immense pain after a fall so they’ve now operated and removed some of the metalwork and she seems OK but we have no idea about rehab for her as yet as she’s not been out of bed. Unfortunately my husband and myself are the only family nearby so it falls to us to do all the visiting – we are off to see her again this afternoon!

I’ve also got a new job! Back as a contractor for my old company on much more money than currently! They wanted an immediate start but my current project goes live next Sunday (2nd) so I’ve agreed to start part time from 3rd – and agreed with the current lot that I’ll leave my full time job on 5th. So I will be doing 2 jobs the week after next, after a Sunday when I am currently scheduled to work 8am-10pm. Should be interesting! No time off in between but it gives me a job over the tricky Xmas period (hard for contractors to start something new) and best of all I’ll be doing non-technical, familiar work so it should be easier. Will be based at home with some European travel – as long as it is not a lot of travel I’ll be happy!

Hey Linda – that’s a great instant loss!! Have you had your test results back yet? I bet there has to be a major improvement.It is annoying being between jean sizes – that happened to me a few months back until I squeezed into a 12. Did you know that some brands do in-between sizes? I have not investigated but it might be worth it.

Hi Annette – good to hear that the physio is helping – really hope you get back to the gym. And even just a smidgen is welcome – though I share your frustration at slow progress!.

Hope everyone else is having a good week

Cath xx

Cath,
    Well done on the new job, even though it will be bonkers for a bit. Glad to hear that the elderly one is feeling better.
    I have lost an inch off the bust and 2 lb in 2 weeks. Pretty pleased with that although the hips are a tad disappointing. My son and I have a 5K race tomorrow, he will fly round and I may or may not take part. If I do, it will be more of a shuffle, but maybe I can run after a month with no practice? Cath, you have done so well and remember that you can’t see the fat shrinking under your skin. I am sure you can see lots of improvements. We have 8 weeks before the madness, you may well get to 10 stone something and I may even shimmy some off my hips. But, remember, we are so much healthier and fitter than we were before. Something to celebrate I think.
    I swam 100 lengths in total one week and didn’t lose anything, but then I noticed that my upper arms have some definition now, which I love.

Hi Cath, well done with the job and good luck with the juggling! I hope your gran-in -law is on the mend – krikey 95!!

I’ve managed to get down to just under 11stone 1lb but it’s hard going. Like you I seem to be not seeing much benefit from being extra good. I also seem to have been going up and down between 11 stone 7lb and just over 11 stone since February. Looking at it one way I am at the good end this week but half a stone in 9 months isn’t as much as I wanted to have lost by now.

As Annette says we are so much fitter and healthier than before although I haven’t had the results from my blood test yet – I can’t get another appointment until 13th November.

I haven’t seen any jeans in in-between sizes so will have to investigate. I need to try different ones on too I suppose as sizes ary from shop to shop but it’s all the bother of trailing round all the shops that puts me off.

Annette, well done with the 2lbs – it’s a mystery to me why we lose inches from some places and not others. It looks like my belly will be the last thing to go!

Linda x

Happy happy happy – a full 2lb loss this week (strict 4:3 and lots of gymming) – but that finally takes me under the 11 stone barrier to 10 stone 13! As I said, I am happy. And another inch off my waist!

Total to date 37.5lbs and 7.5 inches off my waist – no wonder everything is fitting better πŸ™‚

So another half a stone to get to a ‘normal BMI’ and 1 more inch so my waist is less than half my height. Going to continue the strict regime from now until Xmas.

Annette it sounds like you are back in the groove with your recent losses. Did you do the 5k and if so how did you do? I know what you mean about being fitter and healthier and you are right!

Linda – how are you doing this week? – think you were in that twilight zone of just over a stone barrier. Hope the needle on the scales is favourable when you weigh next.

Take care all

Cath xx

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 473 total)

You must be logged in to reply.