My 16 week countdown

This topic contains 467 replies, has 39 voices, and was last updated by  annette52 7 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 473 total)

• Hi everyone,

I started the diet on 19th August and lost 7lb before going on holiday a couple of weeks ago. Now I am back and delighted that I have only re-gained 2lb, which considering the amount of lovely Spanish food and beer I consumed is quite remarkable! Although I chose not to fast whilst away, I did actually stop eating on a number of occasions as I recognised I was full – even when this meant that I left food on my plate. That would never have happened before starting the 5:2 lifestyle!

So I am back to fasting today! I have set myself a goal of losing 1.5 stones between now and January 14th when I am scheduled to have a hip replacement operation – 16 weeks away. I think it will be challenging as I will need to average over 1lb per week, including over Christmas. However, the doc says that every 1lb lost counts – it will help make both the operation itself and my rehab a lot easier.

I am going to track it here. So:

starting weight (19 Aug) 13st 8.5 lbs
    weight after hols (25 Sept) 13st 3.5lbs (after losing 7lb and regaining 2lb)
    goal weight (14th Jan) 11st 10.5lbs

I will update here each week after weigh in.

Wish me luck!

Good luck Cathyork it sounds like you’ve done brilliantly so far. I will look forward to reading how you get on. I have only been doing it 3 weeks and on my fourth week at the moment x x

Good luck Cathy!

Hello Cathyork

We’ve spoken before.

I think it is great that you only gained 2 pounds on a two week holiday; I’m about to go away for two weeks in a cottage and I am worried about gaining some (hopefully not all!) of my hard won (or should that be hard lost?) 9lbs. It’s taken a fair while to lose it so it would be really demoralising to gain it in an instant. I have considered fasting but I don’t think it’s going to happen; I’ve tried fasting the day after the night before and it’s not great for my stomach. Too much acid swilling around.

Anyway, good luck with your weight loss goal. I think it is a really good idea to post it here for all to see because you sort of have a sense of responsibility to try and not let yourself down in front of all of us!
    It’s a bit like going to a weight loss club; you get weighed in front of everyone and it does have an effect on how hard you try.
    You’ve got an even better reason though; your health and recuperation after your operation.

It’s a win-win incentive

Thanks all of you for the words of encouragement!

saraann – how are you getting on after 3 weeks?

PreciousBooBoo – I do hope you have a great holiday. I went away to Spain with my husband and parents, and although one day I did try to fast, it is almost impossible to do so without seeming antisocial (one day I made it to 3pm then my dad handed me a Magnum ice cream he’d bought me – and well, I could hardly refuse!) So my main tactic was to not just mindlessly eat whatever was available (e.g. munching on olives/snacks just because they were there) and to really try to stop eating meals when I felt full. And I do get fuller a lot quicker these days. But I still had many a cold beer and lots of delicious food. I hope you manage to have a great time in your cottagewith very little weight gain!

And yes I think posting on here will focus my mind. I have been really struggling with my hip since I started getting stiffness 2-3 years ago so it will be fantastic to be fully able bodied again, and I really want to give myself the best possible chance of success.

Hello Cathyork

Thanks for your good wishes-log fires, nice meals and a few flaggons of wine will be consumed-every night!

Like I say, I’m contemplating: thinking about thinking…

about trying to do 2 fast days per week but it’s not really a goer because of the acid thing. If I have wine the night before; the food I consume next day is used to soak it up!

Keep us posted on how you are doing

Hello again. I have done really well. I am 5 pounds down and just did my fast day today so I will weigh in on saturday. Its really strange because I feel so much better and although its not a massive weight loss I do feel psychologically more confident and definitely don’t feel as bloated. I am looking forward to seeing how I have done but I am not as desperate as I have been in the past because I just feel better all round and don’t beat myself up if I eat something naughty. Who am I kidding…that should say “drink” something naughty hee hee. I LOVE my wine and really look forward to my weekends when I can partake. I have amazed myself for not having a glass every night as that was a habit I needed to break. I also love Magnums lol and would not have resisted either x x

Hi saraan

Right there with you on the wine thing!

Oooh me too (the wine I mean)! A LOT of this is psychological – I really monitor what I eat (& drink!) on non-fast days now. I am still naughty but that’s the beauty of 5:2 I reckon.

Love the mutual support 🙂

So now 15 weeks to go.

Back from holiday, work is a nightmare, working crazy hours and had a bit of a heavy weekend last weekend (beer, pork pies, crisps, fish & chips etc.!) but got back on it this week despite travelling to Sweden & back for work & staying in a hotel. I have been so good I have almost surprised myself! Fasted Monday and Wednesday and threw in an extra day yesterday. Yesterday was REALLY tough – my stomach growled all day and I had a really bad headache – but 16 hours work distracted me! And I have seen some good results:

weight after hols (25 Sept) 13st 3.5lbs (after losing 7lb and regaining 2lb)
    weight today (4th Oct) 13st
    goal weight (14th Jan) 11st 10.5lbs

I am slightly disappointed that I haven’t just gone under the 13st mark – but I have had a word with myself because in reality 3.5lbs after a heavy weekend is pretty fantastic!

Don’t think I can sustain 4:3 – and I am away again Mon-Fri next week, this time with my whole team (was on my own last week so easier to be strict!) so there will be more temptation of both food and drink. But I aim to fast Monday and Wednesday and hopefully dip under the 13st barrier by this time next week 🙂

Countdown to hip replacement is a bit more meaningful than countdown to seeing my sisters, but that is part of my motivation. Just one time I would like to be ‘the skinny one’ at the Christmas table. I’m on a ‘plateau’ of 73kg. I think when you set a target you sometimes sit on it for a while. I’m really thinking 63kg would be great but I’d settle for 68kg at the Chrissie dinner table.

You know, Cathy, back in the day when I was a jet-setting career woman I used to eat a lot of restaurant and hotel food and I was a sucker for buffet breakfasts – I hoped it had got easier to find a healthy option on menus.

Hi RoBa – I think whatever motivates you counts! I wish I had a normal hip – and tbh am in slight denial about the actual operation and gory details – but it has forced me to think sensibly about my weight. And fitting into my clothes and looking better goes hand in hand with that! It will be nice to be both properly mobile and not overweight and wobbly!

Family certainly do have that way judging you without sparing your finer feelings, so I totally understand what spurs you on. Just think how fantastic you are going to feel when you get there!

And since I’ve been travelling for work (about 3 yesrs) I have almost used the hotel/restaurant meal thing as an excuse. The 5:2 really cuts through all that and puts me back in control as I don’t have to worry much on fast days as there’s only 1 meal/500 calories to worry about and the rest of the time I try to select whatever’s healthiest – and I am fuller far quicker too.

Here’s to continued success 🙂

‘Back in control’ is really important. I’m sure some big thing about 5:2 is the way it re-programs your brain, but we’ll leave that to the Dr Mosleys of this world to explain.

I’ve got this image that when I come off the plateau it is going to be a rapid downhill for a few weeks. But I’m happy to just cruise along losing a tiny bit each week. On Wednesday I make it 11 weeks to Christmas. I AM going to weigh 68kg or less. Goals are good.

Hello sarann and preciousbooboo I can say that having a big glass of wine about 5pm yesterday at a party, after fasting all day, was a complete buzz! I was tipsy on one glass – so I had two more and was the life and soul!

hello Cathyork,i started my FD on 07/10/2013, I am going to try my best with4:3, am very interested to follow your progress until January 14 when you have your OP,HOPE I DO AS GOOD AS YOU.

So now 14 weeks to go

Bit late weighing in this week as I spent Mon-Fri in Sweden for my project which is all going wrong so it is all a bit stressful on the work front.

Challenges this week were great friends visiting last weekend so we ate and drank rather a lot. I did try to contain portion size as much as possible but still felt like I probably exceeded my TDEE on 2 days. Probably with wine alone 🙂

Then I had my whole team out in Sweden with me so I had to rearrange my fast days. Fasted Monday whilst travelling out and no issues there but then had several glasses of wine with dinner on Tuesday and as a result I found fasting on Wednesday impossible. So I did Thursday and then had a sort of fast day Friday where I fasted all day but ate more than 500 cals on Friday night as my lovely husband cooked me dinner on my return.

One thing I can report is that I am getting MUCH better at recognising when I am full and stopping eating. I have found that this is a real challenge when eating out as most restaurants give big portions and if you leave a significant amount on your plate everyone starts to comment. I am actually full pretty quickly these days but have found myself under pressure to eat more on a number of occasions. So I need to think about that one!

Anyway my results are:

weight now (12th Oct) 12st 13lb
    TOTAL LOSS = 9.5lb
    goal weight (14th Jan) 11st 10.5lbs which is another 16.5lbs

I am so pleased to have lost 1lb this week (considering the week I have had!) and also to have dipped below the 13 stone mark for the first time in a couple of years.

Had a reasonable weekend food and drink-wise and I am off again to Sweden tomorrow (Monday) so I am determined to stick to my fast days and TDEE on non-fast days this week.

13 weeks to go

Been away again most of the week (Mon-Thurs) but managed to fast Monday and Wednesday. Had a really weird Wednesday though as I was incredibly tired all day at work and yawned my way through. Not sure if this was linked to the fasting,as I don’t normally feel like this on fast days (has anyone else experienced this?) but I ended up having some soup at the hotel at 6:30pm and then going to bed where I stayed until 7am!

This week’s results:

weight now (18th Oct) 12st 12lb
    LOSS THIS WEEK = 1lb
    TOTAL LOSS = 10.5lb
    goal weight (14th Jan) 11st 10.5lbs which is another 15.5lbs

It is nice to see a slow and steady loss – although I am feeling impatient so may try a 4:3 next week. Only 2 days out in Sweden next week Monday-Wednesday so I may try to fast Monday, Wednessday and Thursday depending how I feel.

I also bought a tape measure and discovered I have lost 1.5 inches from my waist since week 1 which is very encouraging. Clothes are definitely fitting better and I feel slimmer.

All in all feeling positive 🙂

Congrats Cathywok! Awesome success under difficult circumstances. Congrats on getting under the 13st mark – I imagine that felt like a fantastic reward for your commitment!
    Keep up the good work and I will look forward to a progress update next week.

Thank you Iwant2Bincontrol! I do feel great to finally be under 13st – it has made me want to get under that 12st mark asap!

How are you getting on?

Bring on 12st!
    I don’t know yet… Only my 2nd fast day yesterday and am waiting for two weeks for a weigh and measure update. Quite hard yesterday but still managed to sneak in under 500 cal. So far it is definitely impacting my ability to exercise as normal which I am not enjoying, so I hope it is worth it come the 28th. Onwards and downwards 🙂

12 weeks to go now

Been away again to Sweden but only Mon-Weds and I fasted on Monday and Wednesday too. It definitely seems to be getting easier to fast. I am hungry but just have nothing all day to eat and a decent evening meal and it seems to work! I had considered 4:3 by also fasting today (Thursday), but I am going out this evening – so the 4:3 won’t work this week.

This week’s results:

weight now (24th Oct) 12st 11lb
    LOSS THIS WEEK = 1lb
    TOTAL LOSS = 11.5lb
    goal weight (14th Jan) 11st 10.5lbs which is another 14.5lbs

As I am not going to hit my goal at this rate I am going to try extra hard over the next week to see if I can lose 2lb. I would rather try extra hard now as it may get harder over Xmas! I have a weekend of decorating looming so it should be easier to keep calories down – and then I am away again Mon-Thurs. Really hope I can lose 2lb and get nearer to 1st overall lost.

Cathyork, i have just read your original post where you say the doc told you that every lb counts. You have lost over 11 lbs in 12 weeks, which is amazing. Don’t beat yourself up if you don’t reach your goal weight. Just think that even with what you have lost so far the recovery from the op is going to be easier, so any extra lbs will just be a benefit.

Also, remember that the 5:2 has general (invisible) health benefits aside from losing lbs. This is also a good thing thinking ahead to your op.

You have lost 11 lbs ! Give yourself a huge pat on the back !

Hi tomtommum – thank you for that – I will! I know you are right I am just impatient! And now I see my weight/size reducing without the normal day in and day out slog of a low calorie diet I just wish I’d started earlier.

I am incredibly motivated to keep going and daydream about the “new me” next spring who will be properly able bodied again and will able to wear and look better in all those clothes that are hanging neglected in my wardrobe! I might even buy some new ones 🙂

I can see from your other posts that you are doing really well – and I wish you continued success. It is so reassuring to know that this works and that you can adjust it to suit your lifestyle. And the support is fantastic.

Only 11 weeks to go now

Another week of travelling – this time Tues-Thurs as my flight was cancelled on Monday. I ended up fasting Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, and being careful about food on Wednesday – although I did have a fair bit to drink on Wednesday night – hence throwing in the extra fast day.

I am definitely losing inches too – to the point where a pair of my work trousers are literally hanging off me. I will need to get them altered or get rid as they look a bit ridiculous. I don’t measure myself very often but have just done so and have lost 2 inches off my (rather chunky) waist since I started 5:2 which is brilliant.

This week’s results:

weight now (24th Oct) 12st 8.5lb
    LOSS THIS WEEK = 2.5lb
    TOTAL LOSS = 14lb = ONE STONE woo hoo!!!!
    goal weight (14th Jan) 11st 10.5lbs which is another 12lbs

I am delighted to have hit the one stone mark and to really start to see a difference in my clothes. I think the additional loss this week was also due to a very careful weekend which was spent decorating and not drinking or eating to anything like my TDEE level.

Got quite a sociable weekend coming up but I have a week at home next week with no travel which is a lovely prospect. I know the rate of loss will slow down, and I can’t keep up 4:3 every week, so next week I’d be happy to lose 1lb.

Well done Cathyork
    Congratulations on the 14 lb loss and the 2 inches off your waist.Have you thought about measuring other body parts?
    Get new trousers and celebrate what you have achieved.

Whoooo grats on the 1st!! And you’ve already lost so much, every lb counts towards your surgery. I admire your quest though, and hope you reach your goal in the end!
    I may just start a topic like this one to log my progress and hopefully get the same amazing results as you!

Hi Annette and Nika – and thanks for the congrats. I do have starting measurements of my other vital statistics – just not got around to re-measuring myself, although I think I will soon.

It feels like a real milestone today. I realise I am also eating a lot less on non-fast days and feel fuller quicker so it all helps. Roll on (or should I say off?)the next stone…

How are you getting on? – Annette I know you’ve lost a lot and Nika I think you are pretty new to this….

Hello,
    Since January I had lost 23 lb and 23 inches. Then in September, I had 4 weeks off, 2 before a half marathon and 2 after and put on 4 lb. So I am in the process of shifting that and hopefully will be back at my pre-race weight next week.I am on a mission to reach 28 lb lost the week before Christmas. To reach that goal would be a fantastic Christmas present to myself.

Hi Cathyork

Just read that you have hit the one stone mark!!

Wow that is fab and I am very pleased for you and more than a little jealous. I’ve been on the 5:2 since late June and my weight loss is still around 9lbs (I gained weight on my 2 week holiday, then lost it and a little more. And now I find today; I have put some on and am back to where I was in the middle of September! It can be a lond hard slog for some of us)

So more than a little disappointed for me but very pleased for you.

PreciousBooBoo

Keep the faith.

But how many inches have you lost?

Hi annette52

I think we’ve had this conversation before on my thread ‘Help all Ladies of a certain age – please respond!’.

I elected not to measure myself in the beginning because I didn’t really want to confront the ugly (and fat) truth. I decided I would be happy enough to just ‘go by my clothes’.

So I look at your ‘If your scales haven’t changed etc’ thread but that’s just it – there doesn’t seem to be any appreciable difference in my clothes. I would be deleriously happy with clothes that were larger and looser – the number on the scales would really be irrelevant.

Hi PreciousBooBoo,
    I assume that you have done all the things in the FAQ’s with regards to not losing any weight?
    I am stumped.

Hey PreciousBooBoo, maybe it’s worth re-evaluating your calorie intake on both fast and non-fast days? As you lose weight, your body will need less calories to sustain itself, which may be why you hit the plateau. Maybe you already knew this, but it’s the first thing I though of.. hope you’ll see results again soon!

And Cathy, I’ve been fasting for a week now. I hadn’t really weighed myself before this week, but 24 Oct I weighed around 91 kg and now I weigh 87,4kg. So that’s a good thing! I do have a slightly different regimen than you guys. Besides doing 5:2 (or sometimes 4:3, depending on what I feel like) I take in my calories in 1 meal every day (so I fast 18-23 hours each and every day). 1300 on “normal” days and 0-500 on “low days” as I like to call them.
    I’m also cutting most carbs.

It sounds a bit dramatic, but I’ve been struggling with my weight and losing it since I came to China (when I weighed in at 95kg). I’ve then lost 4kg on and off during 1,5 – 2 months, which was really frustrating and caused me to binge sometimes – because if I’m not losing weight why bother? So I felt like I needed a real jumpstart into this process again.

I’ll do this as long as I feel it’s good for my body (so far I’m never hungry due to my body being in ketosis (fat-burning stage)), then I’ll start adding in some carbs again slowly as not to throw myself off too much. Then, when I start reaching my goalweight (or maybe even sooner if it feels right) I’ll start on eating 5:2 or 4:3 like the rest of you, so eating spread over the day on non-fast days.

Time will tell!

Hi PreciousBooBoo – sorry you are finding it hard going – and thank you for your kind words. I am sure you will be able to get back in the routine – but it is hard 🙂

I’m actually at home all week this week – it is only Monday and I am already finding it harder than usual. Just got to keep the goal in mind.

Take care

Cath

Hi Cath – I haven’t been out of the routine! Though I have had my holiday which I previously mentioned on here but I got straight back in the saddle.

Hi annette52 – I’ve just had another look at the FAQ’s and most of them are just common sense really. However I’m going to count my calories on non-fast days for a bit and see how they pan out. I don’t go mad on non-fast days anyway; it’s just cheating yourself in the long run.

Hi Nika – ditto above but thank you for the encouragement. Your regime sounds like hard core fasting!

Hi PreciousBooBoo,
    I was staggered to discover how ‘calorie dense’ some of the food that I was eating on a non fast day actually was. So I added it all up every day for a week, and then made different choices. The weight started to come off.Keep us posted.

Hey PBB! Let us know how the counting pans out! Hopefully you’ll find that snag and untie it.

Yes good luck PreciousBooBoo (and everyone else).

Fasting whilst working at home this week and the temptation to eat is far greater. Managed a fast day yesterday and having another tomorrow – the scales will tell on Friday!

Yes Cathy, the weekends are usually my downfall… *shudder*. How’d you do?

Hi Nika, yes weekends can be tough. If I know I have a heavy weekend coming up I do try to compensate a little by eating less generally on other days and that seems to work. So far I have managed some weight loss every week.

The biggest change for me on non-fast days is restricting my eating to when I am actually hungry. For instance I find I rarely want breakfast at 7-8am any more, so if I am working from home I just eat my breakfast later in the morning or wait for lunch, and at work (staying away in Sweden) I just don’t have breakfast at the hotel and wait for lunch instead. And I think more about what I am eating and leave what I don’t want (once I am full). It all helps me stay within my rather low TDEE of 1760.

I am on my 2nd fast day of the week today and I definitely notice hunger pangs more at home. But it is so nice to have a week without travelling 🙂 Will report results @ 10 weeks to go to my op on Friday.

Hi Cathy,

Good luck with the dieting, I had a hip replacement last year and lost a stone before I had it, then put the stone back on with all my visitors bringing lovely Marks and Spencer biscuits chocolates etc and also with me being a couch potato, but the new hip is the best thing I have done, to be pain free is great, back at the gym doing everything and more than I did before, but even so could not shift the weight, so started this fast diet 3 weeks ago and am on my 6th fasting day have lost 4lb so that is good going considering what I eat on my non fasting days, lots of people saying they don’t want to eat as much but that is not happening to me, I hope that kicks in soon, feeling very hungry right now, an hour and half before having diner and going to see Philomena at the cinema tonight so no popcorn or sweets for me, so that will be a real test. Fasted yesterday (should not do two consecutive days I know but with my week this week only think I could do) but had 633 calories so way over that is because I went to a meeting and they had mince pies and I did not resist. Anyway, hope all goes well and I am sure you will appreciate the weight loss before the hip replacement.

Hi RitaMc – thanks for your post. You are the first person I have communicated with who has actually been through this! And so encouraging that it has worked so well. I am glad you are pain free and able to go back to the gym.

I probably need to shift arund 3 stone in total (to get to 10-10.5 stones) – but until recently I didn’t really appreciate the impact of being so overweight on my joints and so this is a goal I can really focus on. I’d like to lose the greater part of 2 stones in total prior to the op. And hopefully keep going afterwards to get to my end goal (I might struggle if visitors bring me goodies though!)

I have struggled with my weight for years, but then in 2008 I went on a major health kick and went down to just over 11 stone with a combination of healthy eating, potion (and hence calorie) control and lots and lots of gym sessions. That took a whole year but I felt and looked great! Then in 2010 I changed my job to one that involved a lot of travel (I didn’t expect it to) and at the same time developed stiffness in my hip which then prevented exercise – and also led to some back issues and sciatica. Plus I am also 51 and heading towards menopause. As a result I ballooned to 13st 9lbs!

I now feel that thanks to this diet – and a fixed goal – I am back in control. I still travel a lot. I am going to Sweden every week at the moment for work and I am still unable to exercise, but I am still managing to lose the weight I want which is great.

Glad to hear that you have lost 4lb. I have to admit that I am ravenous on fast days until my 1 meal in the evening but I grit my teeth and think of the possible weekly loss. I am less hungry in the morning on a non-fast day and probably more aware of what I am eating, but I still go out a lot and I am fond of a drink or 2 so I am not missing anything on these days. I just feel that this is do-able because it is not a daily grind.

Keep me posted on your progress 🙂

Just tell everyone to bring you fruit baskets Cathy 😉 They’re much more common to give to people in the hospital I believe, bringing someone who just underwent surgery chocolate seems just weird to me x)
    Looking forward to reading your results!

10 weeks to go

Rather unusually I spent all week at home this week and fasted Monday and Wednesday. I found it much harder to fast whilst working from home -probably the proximity to food and a bit more time to think!

The best thing this week was my husband telling me my jeans were looking baggy around my bum. I was aware they were looser but it prompted me to dig out my size 14s that have languished unloved in a drawer for over 2 years. I have a few pairs and at least 2 of them fitted pretty well – at least zipped up comportably and looked nice around the bum and the legs. I still have an horrendous “muffin top” to deal with as I am apple shaped with all my flab around my middle, which is very unflattering. So I probably have a few weeks to go before they actually look nice to wear – but a few weeks ago I wouldn’t have got them on at all. And some of my 16s are so big I can take them off without undoing the zip or the button! 🙂

This week’s results:

weight now (8th Nov) 12st 6.5lb
    LOSS THIS WEEK = 2lb
    TOTAL LOSS = 16lb = 1 stone 2lb
    goal weight (14th Jan) 11st 10.5lbs which is another 10lbs

Got another sociable weekend coming up but my travel looks like it may be over for a while as my project may be scrapped! So I am working at home next week also. But being home based after so many months of travel will be sheer bliss – I just have to be strict with myself on fast days. I am going to try to keep up the momentum of 2lb a week if I can as I know losing over Xmas is going to be very difficult.

Thanks for all the supportive messages! I now have a date for my pre-op appointment so the whole thing is becoming scarily real! 🙂

Good job on the pant size! And I think 2lb a week is a reasonable goal, just keep going strong without any secret piece of chocolate anywhere 😉 Maybe cutting carbs on your fast days (no idea if you already do that).

I remember getting really panicky before my jaw surgery, at some point the hospital smell could just send me into half a panic attack. Then again I used to have quite a phobia for the dentist and this surgery was to remove all 4 of my wisdom teeth in one go, so that probably had something to do with it.
    Oh the taste in my mouth for over 1,5 week after that… Ugh.

You don’t have to worry about that though, you’ll be able to keep eating and stuff 😛

Hi Nika,

Thank you – and it is easier to aim for the next 2lb off rather than think of the total remaining! Chocolate isn’t my downfall – rather savoury things, especially salty snacks when drinking beer or wine. I am definitely drinking less – saving it for weekends and really trying to be aware of any snacks eaten.

I know what you mean about the hospital smell – it makes me feel quie anxious too, but I’ll just have to get through it.

How are you getting on?

Hi Cath and Nika and everyone else

After reading your last post Nika (we have to stop meeting like this!); I couldn’t resist telling you about my operation to have, like you, all my wisdom teeth out at the same time (Ouchhhh).

And yes Humphrey (!); there is a fast diet/metabolic link! (This is said very tongue in cheek Humphrey; possibly with a piece of steak in my cheek….)

I was 19 yrs old and had to be admitted to hospital to have an anaesthetic. They have to clamp your mouth open in order to get at the back of your mouth ‘easily’ and when it is over; you can literally not open your mouth at all.

When I could finally manage to eat (the pain was excruciating-I cried with relief when they gave me the next lot of painkillers) I could only get porridge through the gap my lips would make and lived on only this for an entire month!

(And this is where the metabolic bit comes in and may explain a lot about my slug-like metabolism)
    And I never lost one ounce! A friend’s brother had the same operation and also couldn’t eat and lost a stone!
    You couldn’t make it up….

My face swelled up to gi-normous proportions and went all green, yellow and blue (with the bruising).
    When my husband (then boyfriend) came to visit me; I swung round to face him from my sick bed and it was like that seminal bit in the Exorcist – where she swings round in the bed and you see her being possessed for the first time.

And my husband, God love him, managed heroically not to laugh out loud with sheer fear and horror! He knew if he laughed then it would be him out the door quick sharp.
    I realised at that very moment what a lovely man he was…

Having said that; to this day he will still ask me (if we have cause to mention this particular story) ‘When is the swelling going to go down?!!!

Hi Cathyork,

I hope you don’t mind me dropping into say really well done! I am reading through your post here and I can see that not every week has gone to plan, but you’ve stuck at it and you’re so busy (I may have to have a lie down after reading all your tooings and froings, lol). What an inspiration 🙂

“And some of my 16s are so big I can take them off without undoing the zip or the button!” WOOHOOO!!
    I hope the surgery goes okay.. I’ll wish you all the best nearer the time… when you’re a size 10-12 at this rate!

Aud x

Hi PreciousBooBoo (I hope I’ve spelled your username correctly, I’ve got the wrong glasses on, but I can’t find the right ones.. because I’ve got the wrong glasses on *headdesk*)

I hope you don’t mind me saying that your dental surgery sounded awful {hugs} but you did make me LOL with visions of re-enacting The Exorcist! I think I know which scene you are talking about, only I watched most of it with my hands over my eyes, as you do.

I sympathise with you not losing an ounce when you were incapacitated, I feel for you, some folk are just so lucky to lose it quickly, (that is not me either!) but I wish for the fat burning fairy to come your way asap x

Aud x

Hi Audrich,

Of course I don’t mind you popping in – and thank you! To be honest it has been easier when I’m busy (less time to think about food maybe :)) but my life is going to get a lot quieter now as the project I was running has been scrapped so it looks like I’ll be at home kicking my heels from now until I have my op in January. It will be nice not to travel and not to have to work so hard. Been thinking for a long time that I need to make a change so perhaps this is the time to work it out.

I can’t imagine being size 10-12 though. And I’m not even sure I’d want that really . Although I am not tall (5ft 4) I have always had a big bust (16-18 in tops) and I am apple shaped – so I think I’d settle for a 14 all over – don’t think I have been that for about 20 years!

And PreciousBooBoo – you write very well. I really laughed at your “Exorcist” description. And yes your husband does sound like a lovely man.

I really appreciate the support from this forum – I might have a bit more time for replies now I am not travelling all the time.

Good luck everyone 🙂

Hi Cathyork and audrich

Thank you for your kind words about my wisdom teeth nightmare story. My husband and I still laugh when we refer to it; I certainly didn’t do much laughing then!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 473 total)

You must be logged in to reply.