Motivation and PCOS

This topic contains 20 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mariks 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

• Hi,
    I’m 23 and was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16. Since I’ve started university I’ve put on about 10kg and I now weigh 70kg and can’t seem to get the extra weight off (mostly on my abdomen). Although I’m writing a thesis at the moment I try to make time for exercise. I’m determined for this diet to work, because I feel like diabetes is around the corner, and not being able to have kids is just not an option for me (not that its the plan to have some right now).
    I keep reading that people don’t lose weight with PCOS or that its extremely slow… I’ve only just started this week, but I need motivation to keep going! Anyone out there with good results?

Thanks

Hi there, I was diagnosed with pcos and endometriosis in my late 20s. The diagnosis made sense after trying for a baby for 2 yrs and weight creeping up. On reading around the conditions it filled me with fear about diabetes, hair growth and so many other health factors.
    It spurred me on to lead a wheat and dairy free diet and I aimed to run 20min 3 times a wk. I managed to lose over a stone in 8 months and I fell pregnant! I also felt the best I had in years. More energy, clearer head space. After my first child I went down to the lower end of m normal bmi range which was amazing. B/feeding really helped me hormonally, 2 years later I fell pregnant easily. But since having my second chold (who is now 3) I have been plagued with vicious sugar cravings. I am 2 stone heavier ; ( and feel all myold hormonal symptoms appearing.
    I really hppe to start FD this wk but feel a little scared nervous that I won’t resist my primal urges to eat, eat, eat…… This way of life looks good for insulin resistance pcos so good luck. I would really like to hear how you get on

Hi bluezoo,
    Thanks for your post! This gives me a lot of hope for the future 🙂

I’m on my first week of 5:2 and I’ve done my two first days of fasting. I was also worried of my urge to eat all the time, but actually I’ve rediscovered the feeling of being ‘hungry’properly. Before this, I was snacking all the time (for the past 5 years) which means I rarely had a meal because I was hungry!
    On fast days, the feeling of being hungry is kind of the direct translation of my efforts and, weirdly enough, that keeps me going. When I’m about to give up, I also just think “I’ve made it to 4pm, it would be a waste to eat bread now”. And also, you can eat properly the next day.

Hope this helps!

That’s great. I’m relieved to hear you resisted at 4pm, I guess 1 day at a time and knowing the following day ‘normal’ eating resumes is good psychologically! I am going to aim to start on Tuesday. Not sure whether it’s good to do it on work days, on one hand my mind can be quite busy (distracted?) but concerned I may be tempted to eat loads in evening after work. Hopefully like you I will think I have come so far don’t spoil it!
    How did you find it around your studying? Have you used the tracker tool?

Good luck for Tuesday! I will be fasting too 🙂
    In terms of the studying, I find it harder when the writing doesn’t go well, or if I can’t figure something out. But as soon as I get writing properly i forget about food even on the fast day. I felt a bit dizzy the first day and a bit of headache the first time, but not the second time.
    And when you get home, to stop yourself binging, distract yourself with the stuff that can bring so much more happiness than food like listening to awesome music or watching a film, playing with your kids:) The feeling the next morning when you wake up knowing you successfully fasted is awesome!
    Nope, I haven’t used the tracking tool.
    Hope it goes well!

Hey Mariks, how is your fast today? Hope you are feeling on track and inspired. I tried to stay in bed as long as kids would allow. Got up at 730 and had peppermint tea. Just juiced some veg. I have done 2x 200 cal juice drinks for now and later leaving me roughly 200 for chewable food. I figured a dense nutrition rich drink will help me feel virtuous 🙂

So I’m trying to maintain my momentum and reminding myself it’s not just weight loss but healthy lifestyle too. My brother is getter married end of july, ideally want a good lose but also better skin.

Have a great day. Early night for me and dreams of breakfast!

Hi Bluezoo.
    Same I woke up at 7.30 and had a coffee and cereal bar to get me going. Which left me with 300kcal. Just had a small soup and piece of bread for lunch so I guess I’m done for the day!Not cool, but such is life haha. And there’s always coffee and tea to save the day.

Yep, early nights will help 🙂
    Good luck!

Hope you have had a good day. It’s silly how I feel irritable and close to rubbing my face in a large sticky pudding when I am this close to end of day.

Think it’s cooking for others and then not eating. ..going to walk the dog for a distraction now and I still haven’t had last juice so will savour it this evening. The whole day has been pretty good just starting to struggle!

Hi Bluezoo,
    Hopefully you made it to the end of the day! For sure, cooking for other people without eating cannot be easy… When is your next fast day? I think mine will be Sunday. It was going to be today, but I feel really dizzy so it’s better not to I guess.

Hey Mariks, I managed and felt proud! I think distraction is the key amd reminding myself of the benefits. How are you feeling now? Hope dizziness has passed. I plan to fast tomorrow. I am at work all day, hoping not too painful esp as fri is cake day!
    Have you managed to lose much yet? I am interested to get 2nd fast done.
    Going out on sat night can’t decide whether to drink or not, part of me is not bothered by alcohol and also don’t want to undo hard work!

Hi bluezoo! congrats! it is a great feeling when you wake up the next morning 🙂
    Its going to be tricky this weekend, as I have friends visiting and I’m going to a festival… I’ve already lost 1kg though, so I think that will motivate me to be careful. But I read you can drink as long as you stay under 2000 calories, so its manageable I think. Or maybe I’m just kidding myself?
    I managed to say no to a free snickers yesterday, big deal for me haha. Hope you manage with the cake!

Hey Mariks, how are you? Are you fasting today? Hope you are feeling focused. I feel deflated as i well and truly f@#ked up on Friday and now I am in that rut of having a binge.

I did well breakfast and lunchtime on my fast fri then stupidly ate in eve then ate some more….thought I would fast yday or today but just having a flailing willpower so tomorrow I aiming to get my mindset right.
    How was festival?

Hey bluezoo,
    I’m very good thanks, festival was so fun. I’ve been drinking quite a lot this weekend but tried not to eat too much… I can’t face weighing myself as I will have probably taken on 2-3kg even if I didn’t do anything extravagant. Thanks PCOS!
    I am fasting today, and just had a salmon sandwich that was probably 500kcal which will be the only food for the day.
    Don’t give up! The good thing is, you’ve only just started, so you can start again without feeling like you’ve wasted so much effort. You could see last week as a test, and tomorrow you start the real deal!

Thanks for your motivating non berating talk. You knowIhow easy it can be to fall off the’diet’ wagon. I really want to do this!

I am fairly chuffed as weighed today and managed to lose 2lb after only having one true fast last wk.
    Glad you enjoyed festival, who was the best band you saw? I am sure you will have sweated out alcohol thru dance?!

I have had a successful fast today….nearly bed time so surely can’t mess up now 😉
    Just put kids to bed whilst husband ate cake, better for me to not be in the same room

Congrats on losing 2lb! I was relieved as I didn’t put on weight although I had a pancake and too much beer this weekend 🙂 guess dancing did help haha
    Today I’m fasting and just ate crackers and an apple so that’s 500kcal gone. But yesterday I went a bit over my 2000 limit and had chocolate!I think I’m not being serious enough.
    I’ll try another two weeks like this, and if doesn’t work I’ll do it super seriously. You seem to be doing really well!!

Hey mariks, how are you getting on? Hope you are getting some good results?
    I haven’t lost anymore yet so trying to be super conscious of my food habits this wk!

Hi Bluezoo,

Check centimeters, even if you didn’t lose weight you might have lost around your waist for example. I checked this morning and was very happily surprised, but still only lost 1kg…
    I’m finding it hard to both fast and concentrate really well, and at this stage I can’t afford off days as my thesis is due in two weeks!!
    Still i’m trying to do 6:1 to avoid putting on weight.
    I will be really strict after the 24th though so would love to know how it goes for you.

Yes must be so hard to fast when you are studying. I find from mid afternoon I get slightly lightheaded and even lnocked my car against a fence last wk on fast day. You feed your brain until it’s all over. I read somewhere that the brain runs off glucose so on your 6:1 day you could have some glucose tabs or tgink they sell powder at pharmacist.
    You are right about measuring, I need to go metric as cm are more encouraging than waiting to drop an inch!
    Best of luck with the end of your thesis. I found a dissertation hard enough! The end is in sight for you now and then you can enjoy the summer.

Hey bluezoo,

Thanks for the encouragement! How is it going for you? Did you end up measuring? Any luck on weightloss since last time?
    I need to start doing this again very soon, as I’m spiraling down to binge eating again and I really don’t like it.

Hey Mariks,
    Try not to worry until after 24th a few more days of eating as you please won’t hurt. I am doing ok although fear my non fast days are my undoing as not moving rapidly down with weight or measurements!

I was reading about low gi last night and think if I incorporated that with maybe 16:8 rather than 5:2 I might manage better and not just kid myself I can eat sugar sugar and more sugar on nonfast days.
    It’s challenging my thinking. I think fasting is obviously good for helping insulin resistance but psychologically I am thinking ‘do as you please on the other 5 days’ which is neither helpful or healthy I suspect!

Best of luck with tying up your thesis. What are you studying?

Yes, I was kindof doing that too! I’m Eating sugar on non-fast days sure undid a lot of my hard work. And because of PCOS my doctors told me to get rid of refined sugar in my diet, so I should really get on that.
    I’m studying International Development and writing about education reforms and social justice. I’m kind of looking forward to starting the diet again! (That’s probably an effect of wanting to be done with this thesis so bad haha)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply.