Moms Check in Here!

This topic contains 105 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Myggan40 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 106 total)

• I thought I’d start a thread for those of us in that special stage in life where we are caring for the tiny humans. It’s a busy time of life and often rife with weight issues, hormone issues and lots of other challenges. So 20’s, 30’s, 40’s – women of a fertile age, come join here so we can talk about 5:2 or fasting in general and how it’s working for us. I’m talking about cycle issues, mood, weight loss, everything.

Just for the record, I want to say at the start of this thread: it would be so cool if this could be a low-drama thread. I’m new to 5:2 but I’ve been a bit surprised by the amount of hand slapping and flouncing that happens around here. So much good support, but many seem to be super easily offended. Let’s not take ourselves too seriously okay? 🙂 We’re all just doing the best we can with the information available to us.

About me: I started 5:2 August 18, 2014. I’m 5’4. I was 179 when I started, this morning I was 175.4. In the long-long-run, I am hoping to get back down to the 130’s. I was most comfortable there, although to my great sadness (now), I realize I had a HORRIBLE body image back when I was younger and skinny (I thought I was “fat” all through high school at 120-125).
    I’m mom to three kids, ages 8 and under. The “baby” is 2 1/2 and still nursing some at nap and bed times. I’m a big fan of child-led weaning. I love knitting (obviously) and cooking and I’m an avid baker of breads, cookies and muffins. I have to try not too eat too many of my own things but luckily I have a house full of eager helpers in that department. 🙂

I’m looking forward to meeting more ladies in a similar place and sharing our stories and experience along the way to realizing our health and fitness goals.

<3 KHM

Hi again KHM and other fasting mums,

Signed in to reply to earlier posts and found your new thread.

My kids are a little bigger – 9 this week ( party today), 10 and 11. I try to knit and am half way through a scarf – better get a move on as winter is coming soon! I like cooking and baking – but the 10 year old has taken over on the baking front and I just get to do a minimal amount of supervision these days.

I started Monday and have only done my 2 fast days for this week. Aiming for Monday and Thursday next week – but suspect i will find it harder than this week as i am back to work. I seem to have lost 3lb ( although was 5 the morning after i fasted!) – i know i know – i shouldn’t weigh myself every day. I’m just a tad obsessed at the moment.

Feeling very pleased with myself as i have not had any wine ( or other alcohol) for 6 days and aiming to go the full 6 weeks. I read the fast bikini diet book and thought that was a good idea for me to boost weight loss and be healthier.

I’m really enjoying my exercise. A week ago it had been so long since i had done any proper exercise that i was really too scared to try! I downloaded and flicked through HIIT by James Driver on my kindle and have been following one of his suggested programmes ( protocol 6) I’ve done 3 sessions and really enjoyed them ( when they were over). I only managed 10 mins ( 4 High intensities in there), but will be building it up. I’m ultra inflexible, and have decided that i need to give yoga a go. I find just sitting on the floor painful! However, i’m determined to change this and am going to try and build some yoga into weekly routine. I wonder if the yoga on the kids Wii is any good?

Looking forward to getting to know some of you as we journey to slim ( heck, I’d settle for just fitting all the size 16 clothes i bought when i lost weigh 2 years ago).

Regards M

Hello! I have a 4yo, and a (still nursing) 2yo as well! I first did 4:3, among other things, to lose baby weight and lost nearly 5stone in a year. Then about 1st crept back on so I started about 5-6 weeks ago doing 4:3 again and have lost that now. I’m now aiming for another couple of lbs, (I was 4 lbs lighter than I am now before I got pregnant with my oldest, so might go for that and see how I go) but am very happy with my weight now anyway – I went at it really hard to lose it, and it was worth the slog! I have started exercise too, 30 minutes a day and am so pleased with the results (so pleased that I’m actually going to carry on doing it, so it must be amazing)! xx

Nice to hear from you2 fast2 furious.

Oh my goodness i would so love to lose 5 stone in a year – but 4:3 must have been hard core?

Really interested in how that is? Are you still really good on the non fast days or do you just have exactly what you want? Did you exercise when you lost the 5 stone. Please do tell.

Well done on being so in control of your weight. I need to adopt a more no nonsense approach myself i think!

I’m on a non fast day today, and feeling slightly disappointed that i did eat a few bits of party food ( my 9 yr olds party today) and a small slice of cake. I could have forgiven myself that ( would be rude not to try it afterall!), if i hadn’t just eaten a choc ice this evening. Still, at least i didn’t give into the wine.

Regards M

Hi Marion & 2F2F!

2F I’m so excited to hear from another breastfeeding mom who managed to lose weight successfully with any form of Intermittent Fasting! You’re “there” – the place where Marion and I are trying to get, so it’s encouraging to hear from you. 🙂
    I am in the US so I had to use google to look up st to lb conversions which led to “OMG! She lost 70lbs!!! That’s AMAZING!” 🙂 That’s a huge achievement in 1 year – Go you! Were you exercising too or just doing 4:3?

I may have to try 4:3 as I’m already feeling like 5:2 is a bit to slow. I’m going to stick with it for another week or two before I make any changes. I weigh daily too and I can see the push and pull of fast days vs. normal days. I’m tracking daily calorie intake even on normal days and I usually can stick w/in my TDEE, but at my weight, height and age – it says my TDEE is like 2000 cals. That’s a lot and sadly it’s not hard for me to eat that much in a day.

@marion – don’t beat yourself up over the cake and ice cream. 🙂 I’ve been losing a battle against some very tasty dark chocolate peanut butter cups in my house the last two days. They’re almost gone. I will remember to walk past them without a glance next time I’m at the store. So far I’m compensating by eating soup (gold potatoes, sweet potatoes, onion, celery and curry powder…so good!!) and salad for lunch and dinner.

Looking forward to sharing progress on this thread! <3

For the 5 stone I didn’t do much exercise at all (it would’ve been exhausting with all that weight to carry about, I have such a tiny frame as well) – not to mention with a newborn! Near the end I did walking for 4-5 miles a day to help lose the last bit. At the very beginning I ate whatever I wanted on non-fast days, but after a month or so when I settled in, I started being really good on non-fast days too. The calculator on here thinks my tdee is about 1400 I think, but I kept a detailed food diary and analysed it, and I’d maintain my weight at 1200 or less, any more and I’d put on, so I’d keep within that so I would lose weight on a fast day and keep it all off on the non-fast day (as I found it demotivating to go up in weight).

4:3 is ok actually – I found it easier because you stay in the zone all the time. I find if I have too many non-fast days in a row, I don’t feel like fasting and it’s much harder to get back into it. For me it’s much easier to just give it everything, and then the results keep you going. That’s probably why I’m no good at maintenance, haha – I can’t do moderation!

This time, because I didn’t have too much to lose, it wasn’t all about just the weight – I could see I needed to tone up, so after 2 weeks of just dieting (4:3) I started an exercise regime – it’s called T25. It’s really, really good – even I can force myself to do 25 minutes a day! And the results are amazing so I recommend it.

Marion – birthdays don’t come up that often, tbh you did well if it was a small slice of cake! The important thing is to throw yourself right back into the 4:3/5:2 tomorrow. xx

Hi Girls,

Thanks for making me feel better about my not so great eating day. I have been good today – not a snack or sugary item has crossed my lips, and have been out cycling with the family doing my HIIT. I am going to google T25 and see what that’s all about.

It was really interesting to hear how you lost your weight. I think I too will stick with 5: 2 for at least a few weeks and see how I am doing. I find changes of routine hard to cope with on a diet – it throws me. I’m a teacher so I get into routine in hols, and term time, but have a history of using the change as an excuse to blow it. Not so tomorrow. I will fast, and I will have willpower of steel!!

My first full day of lesson on Thursday – so that will be grim on a fast ( and very hard not to have wine when I get in!).

I am going to weigh in tomorrow as that will be a full week – so will be crossing my fingers it’s good news.

Have a good week ladies. Hope it is a good week on the scales for you too.

Regards,
    Marion

Just wanted to check in and say hi! Today is my 5th fast day, the beginning of week 3 for me. My weight has been up and down since last Thursday, right now I’m standing at 2 lbs down from start, which I guess makes complete sense since my calorie deficit has been almost exactly 3500 each week for 2 weeks. I am weighing daily for now…not sure if that’s counter productive, but it gives me an idea of trends, which is what I want right now.
    I am considering moving to 4:3 after this week. I really feel like I could do another fast day and that stretch of normal days from Fri-Mon feels like a trap. I think if I go M-Th-Sat fast days and then Sunday Tuesday Wednesday Friday normal days it will help shift things more.
    @2f2f – I looked up T25, that looks intense! Also expensive, holy cow! $120+ is what I saw on Amazon.
    I’ve been having a hard time staying consistent with my normal morning workout routine. I slack off way too easily. I had a good run going working out daily for 60 days, but something over the last week or two, I’ve just felt kind of lazy about it. Need to get back to discipline. 🙂
    Have a great week ladies!

Hi again. Just a quickie tonight – on my kindle so very slow typing! T25 looks super hard! Maybe next year when I gave lost more and am fitter.

Fasted today – made the Tuscan bean soup from bikini beach diet book and really enjoyed. So did the kids. Mind you, if I had had the ciabatta and butter the family had it would have been even nicer!!

I was very interested in the 4 to 3 so googled it. I ended up reading one of the threads about it on this site. Apparently there is no evidence backing up more weight loss or further health benefits. I was in a bit of a rush but I’m pretty sure that was the jist of it. It might be worth looking at some of the stuff before changing. Although it sure sounds like it worked for 2f2f.

Weighed in and lost 2 .5 lbs over the whole week. Must quit the daily weigh – I was disappointed because earlier in week it was 5 lb. Thinking rationally , I suppose it is a good healthy weight loss.

Have great day tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing how it goes

Marion x

Hello there, thought I’d say hello and well done. I’ve started on August 5th and am down almost a stone yesterday.

Had a tough time yesterday (8th fast day) but kept at it and was rewarded with another 2 lbs of weight loss for last week. I have a very demanding toddler as well who will be 3 next month. We’re attachment parenting which can be very stressful, which I think is why I’ve been comfort eating and generally felt like I deserved more treats in the past without realising what it had done to my body. I gained 80lbs since getting pregnant, most of it after actually giving birth.
    Hoping to get back to my pre pregnancy weight with the 5:2 diet. I’m also trying to somewhat restrict my carbs on non fast days, since I have PCOS and would really like to get pregnant again at some point.

Good luck everyone 🙂

Hi Ladies, I am starting this today having done slimming world and it has given me the kickstart but not wholly for me. I have 15kg to lose, ideally by November but even half that would be lovely 🙂 I exercise twice a week, on a Monday for 1.5 hours and a weds for 2 hours. Both are dance classes. I suppose, I’d like to know any tips for the best fast days and how you mums structure it around kids, work and life in general. Any advice greatly welcomed. 🙂 thanks in advance. Lucy x

slimming world gave me the kickstart by the way… read that back and it didn’t quite flow :/

Hi Mvex and Lucy! Congratulations to both of you on your weight loss so far.
    MVex – 1st (isn’t that about 14lbs) in one month is really great! Do you mind sharing your TDEE? How careful are you about counting calories on non-fast days?
    I totally agree with you that AP can be a bit (or a LOT) taxing on a parent emotionally, you are constantly trying to dig deeper for more patience, more maturity, more sympathy and understanding for your kids…I think it pays off in secure, confident and emotionally balanced kids, but it’s not without challenges.
    @lucy – so far all I’ve figured out with managing fasting and kids is to try and have foods prepared the day before so I can do more reheating leftovers than cooking. 🙂
    Yesterday was my 5th fast day…it went pretty well. I was a little hangry by the end of the day and may or may not have made the mistake of starting a “discussion” with the OH about something important when I was not in the best mood to have said discussion.
    I’m back down to 3lbs lost in 3 weeks. This will continue to be frustrating until I stop losing and regaining the same 3lbs (which so far is what’s happening). I am seriously leaning towards adding a 3rd fast day, but I won’t until at least next week.
    Have a great day!

Hi mvex and lucy. Mvex well done for your stone, that’s fab – especially in that time. Lucy I did Mon, Wed, Fri and found it’s much easier at work. It’s quite hard home with the kids, next to the fridge, kids snacking all day!

Marion yes T25 is really hardcore! And expensive – luckily my friend had a copy anyway, so it’s worth checking around if you can borrow someone else’s. I modified the modifier for the first week, it was so hard. Second week I just did the modifier moves, third week I did some modifiers, and fourth week I started nailing it (if I do say so myself!). My improvement in fitness is amazing! It’s definitely worth a go when you’re ready, imo, even if you do have to buy it.

Hippie – that’s what I found, once you drop a pound, you don’t want to see it ever again! I found 4:3 allowed me to keep all the weight loss from my fast days, rather than having too many eating days and weight goes back on again.

Fasting day for me today. I had 400 Cals – protein shake for breakfast then nothing til dinner – chicken, veg and a tiny potato – I was full after though! My husband was behind me walking up the stairs tonight and said ‘WOW, your bum looks great’ – yay, lol! It’s really motivating to keep it all up. I’m also starting to get a bit of definition in my abs now, which I haven’t seen since before having kids.

Thank you, not quite a stone yet, I’m at 5.5kg, hoping it’ll be a stone (6.3kg if I’m not wrong) for my next weigh in.
    I’m pretty careful, I log everything I eat in my food app so trying to stay around my TDEE. I use a different TDEE to the one this and most websites give me though. When I put all my things into the calculator here it says my TDEE is 2250 calories, but I generally go by 2050 and it seems to work better. I did one week eating around the 2250 mark and ‘only’ lost a lbs that week.

Attachment parenting is definitely challenging but if you look at the bigger picture it’s such a short time where they’re so small and need all that attention and extra care, it really is worth it in the end. Taking it’s toll though, no doubt about that.

And I definitely find fasting at work easier, especially when work is busy. I’m on my 9th fast day today and so far managing really well (it’s 12:44pm). Had a lovely salad with chicken breast for lunch, whooping 190 cals, no breakfast (just a diet coke) and I feel super great.

I just feel so much better since starting this diet, I feel like I can keep up better with my tod (there’s def still room for improvement there though lol) and just feel like it’s easier to keep active and move about, which in turn adds to burning calories so it’s fantastic.

Just wanted to pop in and say hi. Today is my second fast day this week, #6 total. My weight has been stable all week at -3lbs from starting. That’s still maintaining an average loss of 1lb per week. I alternate between feelings of impatience (OMG! Just lose weight already!!) and total contentment that this is the long-haul plan and it’s better to lose slowly and keep it off.

I’ve been trying this week to come in 100-200cal under my TDEE on non-fast days. I feel like my stomach is shrinking and this is getting easier as long as I try to stay away from the calorie dense traps like cookies and baked goods.

Mvex and Lucy, I am totally with you in feeling better. @lucy I love that your OH noticed your bum. 🙂 It’s the little things, right? I might have to put my feelers out to see if I can borrow t25, but I am such a klutz and have major fears of working out when people (even just the hubs) are watching, especially to fitness videos. 🙂

Hi girls. Thought I’d check in to and say hello to all who have joined last few days. It’s encouraging to hear everyone is sticking at it and it is working. I’d be delighted with a whole stone in a month – but think it might take a bit longer!

Postponed my fast today as out to dinner – so going to try and do Saturday. My book group are round tomorrow night and food is indian take out. I am going to try and be very restrained and stick to my no alcohol rule. Bit worried about how this will effect Mon am weigh in!!

Did my HIIT training this am and really enjoyed it when it was over. Managed more so must be getting fitter. The book says my body will be making more mitochondrial for next 2 days and the ones I have Will be getting bigger – maybe they will get to work on some of my fat!!

Have a good day tomorrow and hope you all have great weekend. Looking forward to hearing how you are all doing.

M

Hello everyone, im new to the forums, never normally comment after a bad experience on a pregnancy forum, but saw your posts and wanted to join in.:) here goes….
    Im a mommy of 2 little ones, 2 and half and just 6 months, I started fasting, (5:2 at first then 4:3) about a month ago, mainly to lose weight because I stil had a bit of baby weight left over and because we are relocating our family to Ireland from Turkey in a few weeks and needed a confidence boost!
    Im 168cm tall.
    Before my first baby: 78 kg
    After my first baby:85kg
    I lost weight and was at my lowest of 73kgs before baby number 2.
    After second baby:82kg
    NOW: 76kg
    I absoloutly love the fasting way, I do 4:3, mainly because I wanted quick results but also I feel better knowing Im in control, on non fast days tend to pick at food all day, finnish the kids leftovers, a biscuit here a few crisps there wont hurt type of mentality. Where as having 3 fastdays means I stick to nothing, which I find easier.
    I do feel like my patience on fast days is much harder to come by though, mvex mentioned how tough attatchment parenting can be, I totally agree, some days my toddler is getting the better of me, especially after just a bowl of porridge to get me through the day! Haha.
    Anyways, I weighed this morning another kg lost, 6kgs I total since beginning, soo really happy and im eating today. Well done to you all on here, some absoloutly great results and its inspiring to hear the success of others like yourselves.
    Have a lovely day 🙂

Oops. Thread got a little sleepy there. 🙂 Welcome Charlotte!

Today is fast day 8 for me (I think…?). It has NOT been easy today. High stress levels with the kids and I caved to cookie dough earlier…counted it in my calories and had a really great workout, but still. Me and stress are not friends and it’s been of one of those days where I really needed a break (PMS) and it is not coming any time soon. Ugh.

Last week my weight fluctuated +/- within 1 lb instead of +/- 3lbs, that was good news, but realizing via experience that this diet is really going to mean exactly calories in vs. calories out…I’m a little discouraged. Which is silly. -4lbs in just about 4 weeks is exactly what it should be, but as my 8yo would say, “I’m bored of waiting!!” I’m adding a 3r fast day this saturday because it’s been too hard not to wreck my progress over the weekend. This Sunday I set myself back a lot with cookies and bread and by dinner time last night I just totally gave up counting calories. I probably went over my normal 2000cals by 100-200 calories (?)…pure conjecture really, because I stopped counting around 1300. :-/

I’ve managed to exercise at least 4 days a week for the last 4 weeks which is great. I’m getting to the point where I prefer 10-15 minutes of really intense Hit to anything else. And my husband also noticed my booty is shrinking and more perky (win!!). 🙂

How are you ladies doing?

I absolutely wish I had chance to exercise! Do you normally exercise on a fast day? I just make do with walking and pushing the kids around which to be honest id pretty intensive especially living in Turkey where its so hilly and the roads are real bumpy, :p
    Well done on the bum that is FAB! Have you been measuring your body aswell? cos maybe you are losing inches as opposed to weight especially if hubby has noticed it must be working!
    Im feeling like im getting real ratty on fast days aswell, by tea time I have very little patience for anything!
    Iv vowed to drink more water today to try and get things started again after the weekend, you could try that maybe? Xx

I’ve had a rubbish few days (time of the month so I’ve really felt like snacks and chocolate and lounging about for few days), but I really knocked it out the park today! Fast day, even though it was my day off, but had to be done. I did about 430 Cals, walked about 4 miles pushing the buggy and did an extra T25, even though it was already double day! Ridiculous – am feeling very smug now, haha! I take measurements every week since starting. With just 4:3 for 2 weeks (no exercise) I lost about 3 inches off my waist (from memory – none anywhere else), and then since starting T25 5 weeks ago I have lost another 2 inches from my waist, as well as 3 inches off my hips/bum, 3 off my bust, 2 off each thigh, and 1 off each bicep! I think that’s pretty amazing considering I’m not even big. I use the tracker on here. I put my weight losses on there but if I go up I don’t put that on, I just wait until it’s come down again – it’s more motivational that way! My husband uses MFP or some app like that, but he was impressed with my lovely graph on the tracker on here! Does anyone else use it? xx

Hello other mums.
    Great thread this. Down to earth and no drama or hstrionics… Suits me perfectly as my 5 year old daughter sometimes makes me dread her coming tenage years… 😉

Anywho… I also have a 7 year old boy, I am 41 and live in London, England and I stay home with the children.
    I started the 5:2 in January weighing 85kg being the heaviest I’d ever been (excluding pregnancies) and by end of July I had lost 17.5 kg (which is 2st10 or 38 lb). it has been an amazing journey and
    I am so pleased I started it the 5:2 way of life.
    During the summer holidays (of which 3 were spent camping in France) I took a break from the fasting and I put on 2.5 kg but that was totally my own fault and I knew I was going to “podge up”.
    So now I’m really hoping I can get back to the routine and shed the 7kg (15 lb) I need to get to my goal weight. Hopefully by Christmas…

I fasted today and it went better than I expected but I found that I was a bit moody this afternoon. Weigh in tomorrow so fingers x’d it’s all good.

Best of luck everyone and keep up the fasting!
    Lotta

Hello again
    Weighed in at 68.4 kg this morning so 1.5kg down from 2 wks ago. Woohoo.
    Some of it is water I know but going in the right direction and back on track to meet my goal for Christmas.
    Met a friend for a massive lunch today though so will not be having dinner later.
    How is everyone else doing? Hope it’s going well and keep that determination!
    Best
    Lotta

2fast2furious: I use MYFitnessPal too and really like it. But I do like pretty graphs so I might try the FastDiet one… Well done on the results with the fast. Sounds like you’re really making progress. Very impressive. It’s amazingly rewarding when you notice the difference, isn’t it?! 🙂
    Good luck and onwards and downwards.
    Lotta

Myggan thanks for sharing your progress! I’ve said before, it’s always encouraging to hear from moms who’ve been on this for awhile. I’m in week 4 and my weight loss is modest at best. Still waiting for the truly exciting results (under 170 would be a start).
    No weight loss yet this week. Today is fast day 2. I’ve been bouncing back and forth between 175.4 and 176.4. It’s PMS week and I’m definitely retaining water. I’m adding Saturday as a 3rd fast day starting this week, so I’ll be doing 4:3 for at least the next 4-5 weeks. Hopefully that extra day will be a good counter balance to normal eating on the other days. I also recalculated my TDEE using the lowest possible level of activity (which is lower than more normal level). That would cut down normal calories by about 300. Not sure if I want to go there yet, especially since I am still nursing (and my toddler is going through a “nurse like a newborn” phase…ugh).
    Anyway…I’m off to do my exercises for the day. 🙂 Have a great rest of the week ladies!

Hi all,
    Great to see a mums thread here. My kids are early school age, and the last couple of years have not been good for my weight. I’m finding that I can either sustain exercise or eating healthily, but can’t wrap my head around both. Lack of sleep makes things worse as I end up catching up on things after the kids go to bed, then get the munchies. So hopefully fasting will retune my self control around food. I’m on week 2 and so far so good on fasting days but I’m still struggling a bit with chocolate (not eating a whole block in now go)!

I have a family photo session coming up which is good motivation to keep going. Looking forward to seeing how we all progress. Good luck all.

Hi there I am a rebounder. I did this last year before summer and managed 8 weeks. My eating on non fast days was ridiculous and i was drinking way too much wine, yet I still lost something every week. Then the summer came and I ruined all my efforts. So here I am a year later and I have changed my general way of living. I only have a couple of glasses of wine at weekend and have incorporated superfoods into my diet which is actually controlling my urges a bit!!! I am really hoping that this is gonna work for me. I am an all or nothing girl so on a fast day I will drink water, tea and maybe a glass of milk. Nothing more, but that helps me to feel in control and keeps me out of the way of food. As far as getting ratty goes, I will make the food for my 3 boys, one of them being my hubby, and then I will excuse myself and go upstairs while they eat. That way it doesn’t hurt. I only do 5 2 and I do have a treat at weekends. Anyway I have enjoyed reading all your posts and it has made me feel quite positive. My smallest is nearly four and a handful like his mother and my eldest is 10 and quite chilled out. By the way I have just done my first fast day yesterday and I am gonna weigh myself every Wednesday, here’s hoping!!!

Hi Mandl and Moulin
    Great to see more mums on here. I sometimes think that being around food and preparing it for my children when I fast is the hardest challenge. I keep the fruit teas handy but I have to sit on my hands to not pinch some pasta from their plates.
    Hope your first returning fastday went well Mandl. I really identify with what you are saying about the changing way of life rather than treating it as another diet. I think it’s much more effective when you get to that point. I like the ‘leave when they eat’ tip as I find it hard to watch others eat when I fast on some days.
    All the best of luck mums!
    Lotta

Its been a week since my positive post, now I feel anything but. Its time of the month for me so feel pretty awful but I have kept up the 4:3 and been really good and not a single gram has been lost! Iv been making such great progress that this plateu is fustrating for me! Iv tried drinking extra water and doing a bit of extra walking but nothing seems to be kick starting me. Any suggestions? Or should I just wait it out till im over the period do you think? Advice very welcome 🙂 xxxx

Aw Charlotte, don’t weigh now until after your period! It will be coming off but it won’t show at this time of the month. Plus you may have extra water retention for a few days if you’ve just upped the exercise. Keep it up, it’s worth it!

I had a look back at the facts yesterday for some motivation – I had taken some photos 6 weeks ago before starting my exercise regime. I took some more photos yesterday and compared them. It’s an amazing difference!! I’m so pleased! Definitely re-motivated to keep up both the diet and exercise. x

Charlotte: I would wait with the weigh in as 2F suggests. You don’t get very accurate readings when you’re on your period.
    Hang on in there… It’s depressing when the weight won’t shift even when you’ve been good and doing all that hard work. I had an incredibly frustrating 3 weeks in the spring (approx 8 weeks in) when I reached a plateau and would not budge one gram no matter what I did. I’d had a great weightloss curve until then and then all of a sudden it just stopped. I read through a few threads here and found thst it’s quite common. So I kept going and then one day the weight just started shifting again.
    Good luck and don’t feel too disheartened.
    All the best and have a good day.
    Lotta

Thanks for your post Lotta and Charlotte I agree about the weighing. On a period you can put on up to 2lbs. It is not real weight and it goes off so leave it another week then weigh. Also I have read many posts which talk about how with this way of eating you can lose inches without lbs. Also on any “diet” people have weeks where nothing comes off, our bodies are naughty like that. Don’t give up and chin up it will all sort itself out. Best of luck.

Thanks ladies! These posts have really cheered me up! Just gonna be really carefull today not to have a blow out as its an ‘eating’ day and carry on as normal and weigh when its over. That will be hard cos I love to weigh in to keep on track.
    Im actually finding the non eating day almost easy now, I can see myself keeping it up for a long time!
    Well done to all of you and thanks for the motivational words 🙂

Hi everyone, this is the thread that I sooo need. I gave birth ten weeks ago to a beautiful baby boy Isaac. The birth ended up being pretty horrendous, got to 9cm dilated and then he was back to back and vitals were dropping so after an active 12 hour labour I had a rushed emergency c section, pretty awful then ended up back in hospital due to high bp and baby not feeding, not surprising due to the fact that I neither had the energy or inclination to feed myself let alone a new baby. Anyway he is doing absolutely amazing and it is a whole new world to me. Some of you may think it is too early to be wanting to lose the weight however three years ago I lost 3 1/2 stone following the Lighter life plan I felt amazing after having struggled with an underactive thyroid which resulted in me piling on weight having no energy or life really. This was a complete new lease of life for me, since having Isaac ihave weighed and have put on 3 stone which I know is fairly normal for carrying a child however I want, no need to lose it, so decided to do the 5:2 diet and on the fast days am having four shakes as I know they equate to 500 calories a day which is perfect.
    Good luck to you all any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
    Beth x

This is the plan for a non fast day breakfast, porridge made with skimmed milk , wholemeal toast with bovril at mid morning a banana 2 litres of water, black coffee , lunch salad and chicken, dinner chicken with chicken tonight sauce mushrooms and onions and a small baked potato.

Can anyone advise if this would be ok?? I need to keep to 1500 calories a day.
    Thank you x

Welcome aboard Beth! Congratulations on your baby. What a rough experience for you with your birth. 🙁 IS this your first? In my experience, it takes a long time to recover emotionally, especially if the birth didn’t go the way you hoped. Just be really gentle with yourself. You’re probably on a hormonal roller coaster right now, it gets easier. 😉

If you’re breastfeeding, make sure your milk supply is on good footing before you do 5:2, and make sure you’re staying hydrated on fast days. I’m nursing (and I think one of the other moms here is as well) – but my wee one is almost 2 1/2, though sometimes I feel like she’s still nursing like an infant. I can tell my milk supply does fluctuate a bit on this diet when I’m not careful with hydration. At 10 weeks post partum, you’re hopefully in a good place milk-wise.

I think on non-fast days you can eat what you want, when you want, as long as your calorie consumption stays between your BMR and your TDEE…so if the meal plan you listed above keeps you satisfied and happy – go for it! 🙂

I haven’t updated in a few days…I was super excited a few days ago to get my cycle exactly on the day I was supposed to. That means that at least for my first month on 5:2, there wasn’t any hormonal disruption that I could tell. I am still hovering just around -5lbs, which means my body has been basically eeking out a measly 1lb/week. Which makes COMPLETE sense if you look at calories in vs. calories out. Annoying nonetheless. Today was my 32nd day on 5:2. I’m nearly halfway through my goal of 8 weeks. Tracking calories and staying below my TDEE on non fast days has become a bit tedious, but I am doing my best to stick with it.
    The last few days I have noticed I am getting hot flashes a lot, which is frustrating since I am nowhere near that time of life (I’m not even 31!)…I think (wishfully ;-)) that it might be because my metabolism is revving up thanks to HIT 3x per week.
    And just in the interest of sharing, here’s what I’ve been doing in that department. 3-4 days per week I do a 12-15 min workout that looks like this:
    50 Jumping Jacks
    10 Burpees
    Sprinting in place (30 seconds)
    10 jump squats
    Sprint (30 sec)
    10 Burpees
    Sprint (30 sec)
    10 jump squats
    Bicycle crunches (1 min – as vigorous as possible with good form)
    50 jumping jacks

I tend to do some silly aerobic dancing with the kids in between each of those elements – I put on upbeat music and make it a game with them. I’ve been setting my timer for 15 minutes and I try to not stop moving until it goes off. I haven’t checked inches in almost 2 weeks, so that will be next up…

Have a great week ladies!

Ah! This could be the thread for me! KHM I’m 43 and nursing a 2yr+4m old, also planning to self wean,and finding fast days REALLY hard. I’m also surprised by the tellings off some ppl are getting in the forum! I’m in NZ so joined the southern hemi group but I thinks it’s too busy since I’ve posted a few times and not even been acknowledged! I started (this time!) On 5th Aug at 85.8kg, first two weeks great then began gainlosegainlose as of this morning I’m 84.1kg so only 1.7kg net in 7 weeks.. However I am in jeans I bought when I was shedding weight at lightening speed post partum…(I was 99kg at 6 week check) I’ve had them two years and not been able to get in them before, so perhaps lost more cms than kgs..? I have food ‘issues’, so I have to be very careful not to restrict on non fast days but I’m now considering it since my progress is too slow for my liking. I also recognize now is the ideal time to reduce my fat intake since Bfing is the only time you can actually shift fat like saddlebags etc. But I’m worried I’ll fall off the food issues wagon if I try any kind of restriction (even plain old calories) during the 5 days. What do you all think?

Hiya Pingpongpom! I think this is the place for you! You’re in good company with a few other of us toddler-nursing, baby-led-weaning types. 😉 I too was a little shocked by the amount of hand slapping that goes on in some of the threads on this forum. There are some very helpful souls though who seem to be quite willing to offer good advice and encouragement. Definitely worth sticking around. this is a pretty chill moms thread though. Feel free to vent, whine, brag etc at will.
    I am with you on the slowness thing. It is frustrating but if you think about it in terms of how many years you’ve been at a less than ideal weight, it makes sense to take time to get it off right. I haven’t been at a decent weight since my 5yo was born. I figure if I can lose even 20lbs by this time next year I am in good shape. But 1lb per week over 1 year equals 50+ which would put me below my weight goal (I’m 175 right now, goal weight is 135).
    If you haven’t taken measurements, do it! A lot of people here say they lose inches faster than lbs. Maybe those extra data points will help you quantity your progres in a more encouraging way. 😉
    Welcome aboard and keep it up!

Oh thanks KHM! I’m also accidentally APing – I didn’t know what it was and I’ve never looked at the official guidelines for it or anything. ..I bf, skin2skin, baby wearing, blw, cloth bum (Well we’re in big girl pants now but I haven’t had the heart to sell the fluff yet!) I listen and reflect back and try really hard not to yell at her! I’ve been told that’s basically AP and I concur it is exhausting! I’m still just making it up as I go along but it’s working!

Do you think the weight loss is slow because of the bfing? Our bodies holding onto fat stores for milk production?

I do no formal exercise just too tired!! (I forgot to add co-sleeping to the list!) But I walk 3km+ 4 times or more a week as I don’t have a car, and we usually get into the forest on our bikes at the weekend too. I have a ‘wee seat’, love that – google it if you ride a bike.

I saw Michael Moseley’s ‘truth about exercise’ doco recently and was relieved to see I could do just 3 minutes of hiit – yet to actually do it of course

Eta I waffled on for ages after this but the post monster ate it so you are all saved!

I’m very happy to be here anyway.

Hello all! Beth I see you’re braced for a telling off already, haha! Don’t let anyone tell you when it’s too early – it’s your body and you know what you need better than anyone else does! I started dieting at about 3-4 weeks postpartum. I had 5 stone to lose and it was making me so miserable I wasn’t even me anymore. It didn’t affect anything – I’m still bf-ing him and he’s 2 now! Your diet sounds very healthy and I think you’ll do really well. Do keep hydrated though.

Hi Pingpong! We seem to be a bunch of hippy mums on here! My 2yr old is bf-ing, partly co-sleeping (has just gone into his own bed, but comes in with me half way through the night – we’re making the transition at his pace). Lots of people on here have mentioned losing inches and not necessarily lots of weight on this diet, so you’re definitely not alone there. With my first I felt that bf really made losing weight harder – more of an appetite probably, but with my second I didn’t feel like that was the case. Not sure why, I fed them both the same, on demand – maybe I was just used to it more with the second one, or more dedicated to the diet! I am usually quite good on non-fast days, and even did 4:3 or more quite often before reaching my goal weight, but I didn’t have any dreaded food issues, so I think trust your own judgement on that one. xx

Hello 2f! I’d like to ask you more about when you first list your weight if that’s ok? You said you did 4:3 and went at it hard core?! Please elaborate! Did you stick to tdee or another calorie limit on non fast days and did you do low carb or low fat or anything special like that?

I’m a big fan of Paul McKenna my whole outlook changed after going to an I can make you thin seminar, I really got a hold of my eating disorder after that, so my plan would be to maybe do the four golden rules during non fast days.

I’ve got 22kgs to lose which is like 3.5 stone. We’re coming to the UK for the northern summer next year (cunning plan = avoid winter!) and I’d really like to be comfortable in the airplane seat. .. I’m not that big I’m like a size 20 – those jeans I can now wear are an 18 but from Monsoon so a big 18. But I still have to squash myself in there so that’s my ‘deadline’ iykwim. Probably April. So I’m keen to drop some serious poundage by then. I’m one of those people who doesn’t buy clothes because ‘they’ll be too big for me soon’ but then never get any smaller so would be nice to go shopping!

KHM I got Slim In 6 a year ago and measured myself/took photos then so I guess I could use those as start stats. I did the exercise programme for two weeks before copping out. I think I’m the opposite of a ‘finisher’!

So where is everybody from? I feel likei need to hold my hand up and say hi I’m PingPomPom and I talk incessantly. ..lol sorry!

I’m in Christchurch NZ I’m 43 and I have a husband and my 2yr old wee girl. I’m after losing 22kgs.

That kind of thing if you all feel like it?

Pingpong – I’m from California. Almost 31, have three kids ages 8 and under and the hubs.

I meant take your measurements now – waist, neck, etc. Use the tracker on here if you want. It helps to see even an inch lost from week to week, especially since the lbs seem to slink off at such a molasses pace (SLOW!). 😉

I have found that breastfeeding makes it enormously hard to lose weight with my body. I positively cling to fat for dear life, and any time I lose even a few lbs, my body acts like I’m going into menopause – hot flashes, horrifying PMS, irregular cycles. Non.Fun. But I am determined at this point. I cannot endure another year of being like this, let alone the rest of my life.

Thanks for your info KHM we have visited ca lots..my bff lives in Livermore by SF. I have been to nocal by myself (redwoods, San Jose and Yosemite, and down the coast road 101 is it? and with hubby to everywhere from SF South. Our fave city is San Diego. It’s a beautiful State!

I’ve also had a few 6 week cycles normally I’m like 23-26 days. I also get very crabby towards the end of a fast day!

Good idea PingPong, I’m 2f2f from the south coast of England. I’m 32 and my kids are 2 and 4. I lost 5 stone (about size 20), and then put some back on, then lost about 1.5 stone. I’m happy where I am now, BMI about 20, I’m just here to help me stay on the wagon this time!

The first time, at very first I didn’t do anything on non-fast days, I over-ate, but that settled down naturally after maybe a month or so. Then I ate within my tdee most days (I did have off days for special occasions etc). I didn’t like the down-up in weight (weighing daily) so tried to lose on my fast days and maintain on my non-fast days, so I did a food diary and worked out my own personal tdee where I’d maintain weight if I stuck to that Cal limit. x

Ah 2f the south coast always has such great weather compared to the rest of the country! Thanks for your story. .. yeah I’m def still in eat your face off mode on non fast days!

I had SUCH a sh*tty day today! It’s Monday a fast day. I got to 11am had two scrambled eggs and tomatoes, all good but then I kind of had a revolt and ate my daughters leftover rice n egg lunch, a family bag of crisps, three treat size chocs and a bit of jaffa muffin…oops!

My girl has been feeding so much lately and I think my body was just protesting. But I’m very cross with myself that I let it get the better of me. Totalled around 1500 cals so ‘light’ for a nonfast day lol..

That was it for the day so I’m going to go 24hrs now instead until tomorrow teatime. Weather was also awful and my baby was a hair’s breadth from a tantrum ALL.DAY. and I got chastised on a fb group page also. Depressing day! Glad it’s over!

I know what started it 2f…I weighed myself like a fool. Why would I do that after 4 days non fast?? I gained 1.4kg since friday bringing my 8 week net loss to 300g! #notworthit #cantdoit *sad face*

Hi there I haven’t even been on for almost a week as, after two weeks, I lost nothing and put on 100g. I am so desperate to be under 70kg. Am now 72kg. Well after weigh in last Wednesday I lost the plot. I did my fast on Thurs but rest of time I have been eating and drinking wine!!! like crazy nightmare!!!! So I am starting again. Fast day today and I am going to eat well all week and not weigh myself until Friday morning. Let’s see. I just hope that I haven’t stalled through age. I am 45. My mum has become increasingly resistant to dieting efforts and cant seem to lose weight no matter what she does. I am going to start taking the blue green algae from Klanagh (i think that is the place). It helps to calm hormones, maybe it will help.

Anyway good luck to everyone this week and may all of us who have fallen off the wagon be able to jump right back on!!!

BTW am on second herb tea with honey and it is 13.45.

Hi Mandl! Not just me then?! My cousin in the UK has just given up sugar and I’ve decided to do the same. I’ve done it before and it’s easy after 3 days. I didn’t fast today. The fb drama continued which I could well do without but dd is in a much better mood today! I’m also going to not weigh myself again until friday Mandl. I will plan my Thursday fast day better that might help. And get coffee mid morning! I might even get brave enough to check my tdee if I can work out how, and measure myself too. I might write down my intake too. I’ve been doing that on and off for ever and it does make me a little more accountable!

Good luck for Thurs Pingpong. I did my fast yesterday, but in the afternoon I was really running out of willpower so I went out to a local field with my two boys and my hubby. One of the donkeys in the field has terrible sores on his eyes and they are full of flies. so we took some antiseptic cream and bread to keep him busy. Well how funny we had five donkeys coming after the bread and it was practically impossible to treat mr donkey. Anyway we will go back this evening as the eye needs to be treated every day but we are going to need lots more food for all the donkeys. Anyway point is we had a little basketball fun on way to the field and by the time I got back home I was able to keep going with my fast. I always say to hub that if I am losing control he needs to get me out of the house, even an hour helps to change my mind.

Small world Pingpong – I grew up in San Jose…live on the northern california coast now. Coast highway is Highway 1 and I’m totally biased but it is gorgeous all the way. 🙂 When I need my head clear, I will almost always head for hwy 1…something about being by the ocean helps me get my emotional bearings.

It’s been an ick week/weekend. I am definitely stalled out in the 174-175 region and it’s driving me NUTS. I had decided to add a 3rd fast day, but the past two saturdays I’ve totally bombed on that…the first time I managed about 800 calories under TDEE and this past Saturday I was at 200 cal under, which is above my BMR by a good bit. And then yesterday, my normal first fast day, I lost all resolve over a pint of coconut ice cream. I still managed to keep my total calorie intake to about 800, but it felt like failure. 🙁

2f, what you said about finding your own personal TDEE so you lose on fast days and maintain on normal days – that’s what I need to do. 😉 I am going to try and tick my calorie limits down a bit this week (by about 300 cal) and see what kind of difference that makes. I should look on the bright side, that at least I’ve kept off what I lost, but when I realize I’ve been at this for the better part of six weeks and I’m barely down 4lbs…gah!!! But…According to my fitness tracker, if I lose 1.5lbs/week (which is theoretically very easy?!), I’ll be at my goal weight by the start of Spring, which feels exciting.

Mandl, I need to keep your advice in mind next time I feel like drowning my sorrows in ice cream – get out of the house. 🙂

have a great day ladies!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 106 total)

You must be logged in to reply.