Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,101 through 3,150 (of 5,077 total)

• Hi all, It was a busy week here for us … I work at the Farmers Market every Saturday, today (Sunday) we are having friends over for a visit .. I am making carrot soup.
    Lori, I do use essential oils quite a bit but my area of expertise is Herbal infusions which are much less concentrated. Right now I am passionate about Black Spruce Essential Oil and the tree itself. It is great for Adrenal exhaustion ..which is much like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Symptoms very similar. Basic burn out from pushing yourself too much.
    Sherryanne, great to hear your interest! Milk Thistle is wonderful but not for everyone. If your liver is sluggish it is helpful, but if the liver needs nourishment and support herbs that are more like foods can be extremely helpful. Like burdock and dandelion. I wonder if you are low or lacking Intrinsic factor in your gut… probiotics would definitely help you. I can’t say enough about the B vitamins. I encourage you al to read about what each of the B’s do for us. So many disorders and diseases are actually the result of deficiencies. The B vitamins all work together so if you are taking a particular B, you should also be taking a B complex with it.

Cinque, yes I do grow many herbs … which are considered weeds by some! I also do lots of “wild crafting” (collecting from the wild forests and fields)
    I make a wonderful pesto with Nettles in place of (or added to) basil. Always looking for ways to get Nettle into peoples diet. Do you have any Nettles growing? Chickweed would be a great weed to have in your garden. It is FULL of iron and other important nutrients. It also helps to clear out fat. It makes our cells more slippery so that they can more easily absorb nutrients. You can add bits of it to your salad or just munch on it while weeding!

I have managed to stay under 1200 calories/day all week, and had one day that was under 500 .. so I guess that was my first fast day although it was unintentional.
    This week I am planning to fast Tuesday and Wednesday.

All the best to all of you!

Good morning everyone,
    It is still and grey here. I had a good fast day.

Sherry, it sounds like that last performance went off with a bang! It is weird when you put so much build up into something that only goes for a short time. What a wonderful experience though. I hope he settles down easily with lots of quiet pride!

Have you survived the storm?

It is the morning after my fast day, hungry for breakfast and I want to come over and eat everything you cooked! What an array! What gorgeous colours they will be too!

I have a feeling the jeggings just squeezed in all the fat still left on my legs! leg-girdles
    I’ve never been a jeans person so I will wear them a few times and see how much I like them.

Lori how disappointing to deal with pandemonium on your night out. It is always a bit of a lottery I guess. I hope you are having a good day.

Cheers to you Briar Rose, congratulations on your first fast day, intentional or not! And now jumping straight into back to back fasting! We’ll be cheering you on.

I haven’t seen nettles around here for a while. I used to have them in soup when I lived on the edge of town where there were more weeds. We have chickweed occasionally.
    There were a few years inbetween them pulling down the house next door, and building the new townhouses there. I used to love seeing the old Greek women coming to collect the good weeds for their hortapita.

Btw it was so interesting to learn about traditional Australian herbs when I was working as a teacher in remote Aboriginal communities. They had so many plants used for healing, often by making an infusion and washing the sick person with it.

Ooh, the sun has come out, my breakfast is cooking and I am looking forward to my coffee. Sending best wishes out to everyone!

Well, we are in the midst of the storm here mid afternoon. The rain goes of and on from steady to pounding. The winds are blowing fairly strong. It’s all supposed to blow out sometime tonight and we’ll have sunny days next week thank goodness!

I have a batch of chicken bone broth bubbling away in the pressure cooker-I intend to feed this to the family tonight as everyone here is sick but me. I’ve been battling it off for 3 weeks now (the length of time one or another kid has been sick off & on!). As soon as another comes down with something or I start to feel the drainage, right away I take my Chinese herbs (Gan Mao Ling), organic tangerine vitamin C spray, oregano extract pills, and zinc lozenges. So far so good (knock on wood!).

The goat cheese, sundried tomato and roasted pepper frittata is in the slow cooker and I’ll eat that for next week’s easy breakfasts. After this break I think I’ll make the sugar free dark chocolate cashew butter cookies.

Lori, I’ll have to look up that pizza crust recipe. I made a goat cheese tart with an almond meal crust recipe once that turned out ok but it was a tad crumbly.

Whoops! accidentally hit “send” before I was finished!

Briar Rose, thanks for the info. So maybe I should be taking dandelion and burdock. Can it be taken in pill form? I don’t know that I’d like the taste of a tea made of it! Btw, I do take a really good probiotic formula from Garden Of Life and take a methylated B complex from Thorne. So when is milk thistle indicated? Is there a potential problem with taking it? I haven’t yet but thinking about it.

Cinque, leg girdles! Ha ha! Oh well, if they look good, who cares? Only if they’re comfy though! Since you describe it as a “girdle” I’m guessing they’re not too comfy?

I think I will fast twice this week, mainly eating bone broth, veggies, & chicken & turkey. Probably be healthy to mix in some lemon/ginger & turmeric root tea too.

Ok, back to the kitchen!

Hi gals,

Just popping in to say hi to you all before I attempt to stay good at a hotel breakfast. A full day at a conference. I hope I don’t get too bored (you know where THAT leads).

Have a good one y’all.

Salma

Reading backwards..

Big congrats Lori on passing your certificate. Well done
    Cinque.. on the skinny leggings
    and Sherry on the triumph of the Lion King
    Sounds like you ladies have been having a ball around here πŸ™‚

Salma

Briar Rose, what farmers market do you do? I am Peterborough based (UK) so as long as we are talking about the same Peterborough i may visit! Been wondering where a good market was. Be good to have a chat.

It is nice to think of you cooking wonderful things while the storm rages Sherry! And that you have a pressure cooker (I love my pressure cooker).
    I hope all the crew get better, you don’t get sick, and you all stay well for a goodly time!

The leg girdles weren’t too tight, but I think I like softer material for my trousers!

Salma! Lovely that you popped in! Missing you! Best wishes for the trip.

Hi NeaZ! Welcome here! How are you going?

It is evening in my part of he world! But best wishes for the day, to those of you that have most of it left!

Hi all!

Survived the storm (barely!). Got very crazy into the night! Most of our outside furniture was blown over, giant hail pelted the windows, lightening and thunder and oh, did the wind howl! Sunny but chilly this morning.

I ate a slice of the goat cheese, sundried tomato and roasted pepper frittata this morning with some strawberries on the side and happy to report it was yummy- was wondering how it would turn out being made in the slow cooker! Last night’s healing bone broth was made into chicken noodle soup after I poached some chicken breasts in wine and added them in along with some quinoa/brown rice pasta. Hoping this is the ticket to getting everyone on the road to recovery from their non-stop colds! The dark chocolate cashew butter cookies are pretty good too. I use chicory root sweetener (sugar free) which I don’t mind but my eldest detects an aftertaste. We’ll see what the younger ones think later today.

Cinque, I’ve had that pressure cooker for ages but am always a bit scared to use it! Don’t know why- it’s just alien to me and I have to get used to it because it really can make life easier (quicker!).

Salma! So happy you popped in to say “hi”! Hope the conference isn’t too boring and that the eating stays somewhat in line! When do you return?

Milena, are you home from your fair yet? Any ideas on my byzantine jewelry question?

Ok, off to get ready for my pilates appointment. Have a great start to the week everyone!

Sherry

Good Morning!

Well……..it won’t be morning here by the time I finish this post. The morning has gotten away from me. Doing end of the month reports etc and then I’ll have a few days of waiting for the final numbers from corporate.

Sherry…..glad you checked in after the storm. How scary! Hope your patio furniture survived and was just toppled over. Your cooking sounds good, although I’m not a fan of goat cheese. To me, it tastes just like a goat smells! Which in my experience, is not good! I’m know I’m odd, as everyone else I know loves it! I have an electronic pressure cooker, but I really don’t know how to use it. I’m hoping once I retire I’ll spend more time experimenting with it.

Cinque…..have a lovely Tuesday…..I think you’re getting ready to start your day?

Salma…hope the conference went well. It sure is hard to avoid food when you’re bored…I can attest to that.

I’m doing a fast day today, so nothing to eat so far. I’ll soon have a wee piece of cheese and a hard boiled egg. Not sure what I’ll have for dinner, but it won’t be much! Doing a check on the scale tomorrow morning and I’d like to see a new number!

Ok everyone…..make it a good day/night!

Hey Lori, I was still on the computer when I saw your post come through. Yes, I don’t like a lot of goat cheese… just a tad will do me! The one I bought was an herbed goat cheese which seems to temper it. I don’t like goat cheese on it’s own, but a little mixed into things is Ok for me. I’m sure you could make this recipe with any other cheese you like. Check it out at Taste of Home Slow Cooker Frittata Provencal recipe. Would be great for your low carb eating (you could delete the one potato in the recipe-even still only 12 carbs per slice with it). Love ya!

It is morning here! Hi Lori, Sherry and everyone else!
    I hope the outside is not too storm wrecked Sherry.
    Miso the cat stayed out last night, naughty girl. But she is inside now and asleep on the bed.
    I’m heading into about a month of extremely social time with visitors. I hope I can keep up. I love visitors, but I need to recover after.

I got to really appreciate my pressure cooker in my vegetarian years. I love bean dishes and the pressure cooker means they only take 10 minutes to cook, not an hour or more. And now I have meat back in my diet, I especially love the kind of stews and sauces the pressure cooker makes so well. When you get the chance to experiment more, this is the best resource I have found http://www.hippressurecooking.com

Enjoy Pilates Sherry, enjoy your fast day Lori!
    πŸš‚πŸš‚πŸš‚πŸš‚

Hello!

Completed my fast day yesterday, but it did not yield the great scale number that I was hoping for. πŸ™ The total loss for the month of January stands at 5.4 lbs. That is more than I’ve lost in a single month for along time, so I’ll take it!

Nice sunny day here and I’m about to head out for a break. We had a little incident here at the office that makes me want to walk out the door today! The office manager has a tendency to fly off the handle periodically and today was the day. Totally uncalled for and unprofessional. 3 of us were the target and 1 is on her way to upper management and the other is having chest pains from anxiety. Me, I’m just pi$$ed off!

Anyway….I’m just keeping my eye on October 31…….retirement day!

Have a good one!

Good morning Lori,
    Being pi$$ed off sounds like the best reaction!
    I thought it was an Australian thing to say ‘pi$$ed off’ and that the Americans just say “I was pi$$ed!” ( which means drunk, in Australia). Are you an honorary Australian Lori?

You did brilliantly with your January weight loss!πŸ†

An honorary Australian? YAY! Hope to visit your part of the world one day and it appears I’ll be able to communicate! πŸ˜‰ As long as I’m not “pi$$ed” ROFL!

Thanks for the weight loss kudos, Cinque. I’m feeling good about my progress.

Hi, ladies! First time on since before Christmas and I was only on here for a few weeks then. But it’s time to get my act together!! I gained about three pounds over the holidays. I don’t even know why–it seems that when I eat sugar now I feel worse almost immediately unless it’s a small amount once in a while. But that didn’t stop me!!! It was challenging with my son home from college and then when we got him off we had the East Coast blizzard and were snowed in for almost a week. My daughter and her friends in and out, wanting goodies….

I think I would have gained a lot more if I hadn’t had fast days here and there so that’s good.

This week I’m doing pretty well. Fast day was today and I was hardly hungry all day. I also went to yoga, yay!

Lori, I used to hate goat cheese and I thought the same thing you said about the way goats smell. I don’t know what changed but now I love it. Weird!!!

I’m very interested in the herbal talk. Over the holidays I did drink a tea with dandelion, burdock, etc. I’m very interested in bitters…..

I’ve only read the page that came up last, so I’ll just say hello and send get well wishes to the sick ones and say congrats to the ones who have lost weight. Awesome!!!! I’ll try to check in daily from now on!!!!!

Hi all!

Lori and Cinque, we three are here the most consistently!

Lori, sorry for the idiot manager. That’s why I started working for myself. I couldn’t take working for someone else who 90% of the time didn’t seem to know as much as me and treated people like they were half wits. Oh well, October will be here before you know it and then you will be self employed! In the meantime, deep breaths and thoughts of “this too shall pass”! Think happy thoughts of how lean and mean you are getting! πŸ˜‰

Yes Cinque, here in the U.S. we are often “pissed off”! Not so much different are we?

Hello to Carolina! Welcome back. I know what you mean about the sugar. I think I’m addicted so I try my best to stay away from it as a little is never enough for me! And, I too feel like crap if I eat too much of it. Hoping your 3 lbs. is fasted away soon! If you like goat cheese, you should try that egg recipe I referenced above. I tried Swedish bitters once on the advice of a trainer (to help with digesting fats) and I almost gagged! Very nasty tasting, but I know they’re supposed to get the job done. In the old days they used to eat more naturally bitter herbs, lettuces, etc. which aided in digestion. I’m sure Briar Rose could speak better to this subject.

Uneventful day today. Walked for an hour and a half with a friend who I haven’t walked with in a few months and then went to the chiropractor. So much upkeep and maintenance in the 50’s…pilates, chiropractor, wellness people…sheesh! Swung by Target (a department store out here for you non-US girls) because my eldest needed sleepwear, and before you know it, she was adding make-up, food, cold medicine, etc. to the cart and the smaller ones needed Valentine’s Day supplies…I honestly don’t know how, but before you know it, I had a $400 bill! Unbelievable!

Time for dinner! Bye, bye!

Welcome back CarolinaCatz! Not that I am complaining about the ‘consistent ones’ πŸ˜‰ But it is lovely to have you join back in. Congratulations on fast day and yoga! I’m glad the blizzard is over and done!

Everyone else must be still recovering from Christmas, or so busy, or ill, that they can’t join in at the moment.
    Hello everyone! Sending you good wishes!

Sherry you will feel at home in Australia, we have Target here too!
    Your walk sounds wonderful.

I used to be able to buy fresh goats milk, when I lived in central Victoria, from a friend with a farm up the road. It was lovely giving it to people who presumed that it would stink, and their surprise when it was so lovely and clean tasting.
    I know that the smell in goat dairy usually comes from having a billy goat too close. Once you have the smell in your memory the faintest trace can trigger it.

It is fast day for me. I’m having the full 500 today because I got all starving and irritable and a bit woozy in the middle of the day. It shows me that I need to be ready for a bit of flexibility. Usually I am fine with about 300 calories. Had to do some work as secretary of the board I am on, so needed some concentration!

Lori, what happened after your break? Did you refrain from punching him/her in the nose? I hope something good happened.

Bye now. It’s 5pm and I am going to do the last houseworky things and then settle down to my chicken miso soup and a quiet evening.

Hi all
    Thanks to the ‘consistent ones’ for keeping this thread going, I read but don’t post often tho I learn a great deal from all the posts.
    Last week started well with my juicy/soup FDs but went to rat s**t towards the end of the week with many meals out over my btd plus a wedding.
    Started with juice on Monday, only to end with an Indian takeout and champagne for a mini celebration with no 1 son- he has his own business and it was his one year anniversary. He has done really well and more importantly almost, he loves what he does and gets to be outside a lot- good for an ex- Marine.
    Yesterday stuck to plan and also managed a 30 min walk around a local park. Today should be ok too, then back to belated btd stuff tomorrow and sat.
    Tomorrow DH and I are away o/n and having dinner in a nice restaurant the pottering around the city the next day. Sat we are eating out with all the family but hoping to get a walk in first that day.
    Anyway, Lori well done on being 5 down in January, smiled at being pi**ed off at work- I so don’t miss that. The wedding I went to was an ex colleague and I met with some others so got the latest and as usual the place is grinding everyone down and expecting miracle working which is stressing everyone. I am enjoying being at home and pleasing myself after all these years of trying to rush around to cram everything in.
    Salma, hold strong at the conference, it is too easy to overeat when everyone else is and it’s all ‘there’ in front of you. Think you are like me- one step forward, two steps back…..but we can get there in the end.
    Cinque, smiled at the jogging so, not tried them myself, think too much about ‘does my bum look big in this’ tho I wear jeans a lot- NYDJ help a bit tho I do have them in several sizes πŸ˜•
    Susie

Not ‘jogging’ but jeggings!

Good Morning,

A quiet afternoon at work, but things were a bit tense. The boss was quite contrite as he realized what an ass he made of himself. He is “unable” to apologize, and that’s just the way it is. I tried not to talk to him more than necessary. So it goes.

Last night we had a friend to the house for a pizza party. We got pizza & subs and I even had a lite beer after my ordeal at work. I only ate the insides of the sub(no bread) and scraped the toppings off the pizza and guess what? The scale is down over a pound this morning! I was sure it would be up from the beer and extra sodium in the take out food. Maybe that’s the key? A beer a day? πŸ˜‰

I tried this for lunch yesterday-3 whole frozen strawberries(fresh if you have them) thawed in the micro and then chopped. 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, a handful of chopped pecans and a drop or 2 of Better Stevia. Stir it up and enjoy! Oh my….it tasted like a little slice of heaven to me. I’m going to have a bowl of it after boot camp this morning. Can’t wait!! I got the idea from a low carb blog that I follow. I liked the added bit of sweetness from the stevia, but you could certainly have it without sweetener.

A rainy, dreary day today, but at least it’s not too cold. Spring will soon be here and I’ll be back on the golf course!!

Hi all

I’m usually consistent too, been around here a long time, but not at this time of the year, busy bee! I am absolutely knackered at the moment, but have lost 4 lbs in January, so all is not lost!

Sherry, where are you? Byzantine is not my thing – mid century silver – though hoping to add art nouveau towards the end of the year – but well worth checking out some of the antique fairs, and some of the jewellery is surprisingly cheap – some bargains on ebay of course!

I think Makica is up to her eyes too – and Salma sounds full of it, sure they will both be dropping in soon – missing Janeyw – wonder how she is getting on?

Really need to get serious this month! Aiming for 6 lbs – and that will get me back to November weight – good job this is a marathon, not a sprint!!

travel hopefully ………….

Good afternoon ladies!

Hope I didn’t offend anyone with my “consistent” message. Just missing all of you other ladies!

Hi Milena, good to see you back though knackered! Did all your hard work lead to less time to eat? Congrats on the 4 lbs. lost! You and Lori are the weight loss champions for January! πŸ™‚ Hope the fairs went well! Just thought I’d check with you on the byzantine jewelry. I’ve looked around and online without much luck. Seems I’d have to go back to Greece to fulfill that request (not such a bad thing!). I’m going on a school organized tour with my 15 year old to Paris and Spain this summer, with a potential side trip on our own to Italy. Wondering if even though it didn’t originate there, maybe jewelry can be found in one of these countries too?

Lori, you are a very dedicated low carb eater! Just the insides of a sandwich and the topping on the pizza takes strong will and determination! It does help when you’re on a roll and seeing good results though, doesn’t it?

Susie, had a laugh at the “joggings”. I do that all the time-hit “send” and realize I’ve mistyped something! Best of luck navigating all those eating out occasions you have coming up. Even though it’s do-able, I know that makes things tougher!

I’m really trying to “get it together” this month and lose a few before I head out to Hawaii again on the 19th for 2 weeks. I’m at the higher end of my newer low range if that makes sense? I’ve been as low as 123 in the last few months and as high as 127 (which, unfortunately, I am at right now). Like Susie, I have some eating out hurdles to overcome this week. Hubby’s 55th is tomorrow. We’ll be joining my son on his Wild Animal Park field trip (I’ll try to pack in my own lunch so as not to eat the crappy food there) and then later have a company meeting at a restaurant. Hoping I can find something healthy to eat there. This office of ours always likes to do themed meetings, so this one is “nice” rock and roll! Nice meaning wearing nothing offensive or torn up jeans! My husband has an outfit that is “Guns and Roses-ish” from an 80’s party we went to a few years back. Long blonde wig, head band, jean jacket with the American flag on it, etc. I think I will just wear jeans, boots and a leather jacket.

Waiting for a spin bike to be delivered. I’m excited to have one at home. I’m hoping I can eventually rehab my back enough with the pilates, chiro, etc. so that I can ride again like I used to. Every time I’ve tried to get back into riding since I hurt my back, it aggravates it. I’m really excited to put it in front of the TV and tell the kids, you want to watch TV? Get on the bike! πŸ˜‰

Off to take my son to his ukulele lesson.

Hi Salma,
    I’m 50 and just starting out to my first fast day.
    I’ve tried lot’s of other diets to so hopefully this is the one.
    Well of on my walk hope we both do well and it’s great to have other people to help us along the way. πŸ™‚

Good morning everyone from cool, grey, humid, Melbourne.

I finished my fast day no problem, but Ooo I am hungry this morning! I’m making mixed grain waffles: Not the rich pancake like ones, but a mixture of grain, nut and seeds blended with water. They puff up wonderfully in the waffle iron and are crisp and toasty. I have them with vegemite πŸ˜‰

Susie it is tricky with jeggings and an aging body! I am sad to say that even though my legs looked quite skinny, my tummy looks like a beetle, and I am sad to say my bottom is sagging. I wore a long linen top!
    It is lovely to hear about your pleasant retirement! Best wishes keeping to your plan today.

I’m glad your boss was contrite Lori. I can see why you are looking forward to retiring!
    Your strawberries and cottage cheese remind me of my one occasional dessert that I justify because raspberries are low sugar. It is thick yoghurt mixed with a few oats and left until the oats are soft, and the yoghurt is even thicker. Then I top it with a few raspberries, and sometimes some chopped walnuts too. Because I am not eating sugar, it tastes so sweet!
    Lori, your beer a day diet could make you a millionaire! And you have got your nutrition certificate to back yourself up πŸ˜‰
    Not sure it would work in Australia. I think everyone would be skinny if our beer worked. You’ll have to make your own brand!
    Glad to hear that winter is waning!

Milena, what a treat to hear from you. I know it must be good for business to be flat out, but I can’t help but look forward to when you have a bit more time!
    I am looking forward to hearing from the other regulars too. In the meantime I am just so grateful to those who can be consistent at the moment!
    Congrats on your excellent January loss! Roll on February!

Sherry what a lot of exciting things you have coming up! The rock and roll meeting sounds like a hoot. Best wishes getting to the lower half of your range! Careful on that bike though!

Cheers all! It is a nice relaxed day-after-fasting for me, and I am going to Noodle Kingdom (Chinese Restaurant) tonight with my sisters. Yum!

I wrote such a long post, that yours came before I posted 50hereigo! Welcome!

Good Morning!

The stress continues. We had a “clear the air” meeting yesterday that did anything but as far as I’m concerned. I won’t bore you with details, but suffice it to say that I will be doing my job for the next 9 months and nothing else. Management has ruined the camaraderie that we’ve had for years over what amounted to an overblown issue. If that’s the way they want it, they’ve got it. I hate to end my 31+ year career on this note, but that’s what it has come to. It’s a shame.

Anyway, I have maintained low carb eating thru all this stress! Can you believe it!? Yesterday I was so upset that I couldn’t eat very much so I guess it was a fast day in disguise. πŸ˜‰

I slept right thru to the alarm this morning and sprung out of bed feeling dizzy and with a pounding headache. I decided to forget about boot camp for today and go tomorrow to make it a 3 day workout week rather than 4. No harm, no foul.

Hope you all are having a good week. I’m looking forward to the weekend even more than usual and will spend it getting ready for my sister’s visit next weekend. Cleaning the guest room, changing the bedding etc.

Enjoy your day!

Hi 50hereigo

welcome, you are in good company, I reckon among us all we have all tried and failed – though also here are many of us who are succeeding this time! Its a long journey but failure is not an option – literally not an option. 5:2 is a way of life, some weeks are wonderful and some you will just not want to look at the scales, but despite our best efforts (by that I mean our worst efforts, some days we can actually rationalise that chocolate is essential to survival!!!) it works!

Actually chocolate IS essential to survival – except perhaps not by the bar!

Good morning. Lovely and sunny here, but getting hot for a few days.

Lori I read an article last night saying that the main reason for good people leaving a workplace was usually not about their pay or conditions, but very much about their immediate superior! I thought of you!
    We’ll cheer you on as you stick it out.

Hope you are feeling okay now. No boot camp was a good decision!

Hi Milena, Completely agree about the way of life, the long journey, and plodding along through the hard times, keeping on going.
    And I almost agree about the chocolate!

Wow–you guys are active on here!!!

Sherryann, I try to stay away from places like Target. It’s almost impossible to go in one without spending 100 bucks at least.

Cinque, I’m flexible with the fast days, too. Some days I’m fine until supper. Other times I need to get something around four to raise my blood sugar or something. Sometimes I can not have anything after supper but other times I need a little something to eat while we watch a show and unwind. Making it work is what counts!

Lori, sorry about the headache!! I struggle with migraines and there is nothing worse than waking up with a headache.

50hereigo, congrats on starting!!! I think the first couple fast days are the hardest.

Milena, I’m impressed with your goal. I still have painfully modest goals–I think three was my highest monthly goal. It’s fine because in a year I’ll be at a healthy weight and that’s what counts. If I burn out I won’t.

Susie, have a great time with your husband. We went out over the weekend and may go to this fancy buffet this coming weekend. That will be a challenge.

Fast day is good so far. I have a doctor appt. tomorrow and hope to have a decent weigh in!

hi Cafolinecatz

I would be impressed with myself, were it not for the fact that the high target is judt to get back go the weight I was in November!!! lol!

Would be more impressive to report my journey downwards was going well, but then again I did have a great Christmas!!!!

I really need go shift this excess and get going on this year’s target, Im 60 at the end of the year and dont want to look it or feel it. Once Im back on course will be happy with 3lbs a month. I did hit my original target in less than a year, but moved the goalposts not long after starting, and soon realised my journey would be ups and downs, Ill put on weight on high days and holidays – love my food too much – so the rest of the time I have to make extra efforts. Works for me.

Good Morning!

Scale is playing tricks on me and has been up the past 2 days. πŸ™ Perhaps I like my cottage cheese with a few strawberries too much? I had a nice bowl of it before bed last night. I think I’m going to have to temper that. Sigh…..

Nothing special planned for the weekend, but I’m glad it’s here. Maybe the stress at work has affected my weight too? Who knows. I need to be careful with my eating this weekend so I can get the scale moving in the right direction again next week.

Off to boot camp for cardio boxing this morning. What a good way to work out some frustrations, hitting the heavy bag!

I’ll have a bit of a busier day today with finishing up my month end reports, so the day should go fast…here’s hoping!

Have good days!

Hi my Marathon Companions/Foodaholics Anonymous..

I have been crazy busy this past period and have not checked in with you guys despite regularly reading your posts. Thanks to the three musketeers who are keeping this thread going despite the radio silence from most of the rest of us.

I am still traveling with work and no scales in sight so I have no idea what kind of damage is being done. My skirts are getting tighter, so I fear it is not good news. I hope to be back home next Friday (in one week’s time) and back to some kind of sensible routine. It is so easy to get disheartened, but just reading Milena’s objective to get back to the November weight cheers me up. I am not alone on this journey.. I need to get back to previous weight when the skirts I am straining into now used to be loose!

I will.. I will… this year.. I will..

Salma

Good morning girls!

Long, but fun day yesterday walking around the Wild Animal Park (however, among the 5 boys we had in our charge, the teacher did saddle us with the main problem child- a boy who couldn’t stop saying, “are we going to see the reptiles yet…are we, are we?” for fear of strangling him (am I horrible?), we had to make a bee line to the snakes before I went nuts!).

The rock and roll meeting was fun. The staff at our office are a bunch of hams, lip singing with guitars to Joan Jet, “I love rock-n-roll”, Tina Turner, and the one male did the song, “I’m Henry the Eighth I am”-too old for me, don’t know who sang that! My hubby was also serenaded for his birthday while the staff and the kids and I surrounded him. Great time!

I’m up in weight 0.4 this morning, despite being very good yesterday and having a salad with chicken at the meeting and no birthday cake! But you know how those restaurant meals go-over salted, etc. so hoping it comes out in the wash tomorrow! We’re going out to eat again Saturday night to celebrate my husband’s birthday with friends and there will be a lot of pub hopping. Our area here in north San Diego has become a big micro brewery destination in recent years so lots to choose from. Lori, I’m sorry to say, unlike you, I don’t fancy beer so guess who’ll be the designated driver?

Cinque, those waffles you made sound yummy! Recipe please?

Milena & Salma, so good to have you two back and chatting with us. Though I suspect you will still be pretty busy over the next week, Salma? Salma, how often are you expected to travel for work with this new job? Hoping the travel slows down soon because I know how hard it is to stick to plan when not home! And I fully believe that this year YOU WILL DO IT! πŸ™‚

Carolina, how did the doc visit go? The weigh in? I always hate weighing at the doctor’s office, the clothes, what you ate prior and just the fact that they’re those darn doctor’s scales always adds a good 5 lbs. for me at least!

Lori, hoping your gain (I’m sure it was small) is gone by tomorrow. You’ve done so well recently and I’m sure it’s just one of those weird blips that happen with our bodies. Hoping boot camp goes well and work as well as can be expected with that boss of yours!

The weather is warming up here, which is nice. We are even expected to have some days in the 80’s (f) by mid week!

Ok, off to do some straightening up around here and then pilates.

Hi all

Salma – WE ARE SUCCEEDING!!! We both weigh less than we did this time last year and, with luck and a following wind – we will weigh less next year than we do now!!1

BLOODY AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Without 5:2, we would both weigh MORE than we did this time last year – so we are a HUGE SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!

Carry one everyone, we are all on the right road!

so travel hopefully!!!!

Hello everyone,
    🌸🌸🌸
    Lovely to come here and catch up with you all! I have been in a social whirl, with so many lovely people.
    But I have time to catch up quickly before the number of posts gets out of hand 😜
    Lori the scales are just having a bit of a relax after all the hard work they have been doing, don’t forget they are by nature incorrigible!

Salma I hope everything is going well with all your work and you are able to make the needed changes. Never easy, and I bet it is as tricky as losing weight. Keep on keeping on. I hope the time comes soon when you can get both the work, and your fast days happening. In the meantime, all power to you, getting through as best you can.
    I’m glad to know you are still reading, even when you can’t write. I’ll send out cheerios to you.

Milena, it is true. Bloody awesome everybody! πŸ†πŸ’«πŸŽ―πŸΎπŸŽŠπŸŽˆπŸŽ‰

Sherry what lovely staff! And I am so glad you managed to give the tricky kid a good time at the park. Refraining from strangling is always a good thing! πŸ˜‰

I’d love to give you the waffle recipe. I’m taking my young friend Arlo to see ‘Arlo the good dinosaur’ ( of course!) and then he goes home this afternoon, so I will write it up then.

Better finish my coffee and get ready for a movie! See you later.

Hello!!

Woohoo–I made my little goal of getting below 170. Less than two pounds to preholiday weight now. At the doctor I was just over 170 b/c of the clothes but that’s okay. Of course immediately after all that, we had a music recital in our house with lots of snacks and sweets. But I’ll get back on track. I’m definitely in the slow and steady category!!!

Milena, I totally agree with you about 5:2. I’m so glad I decided to try it. It really works for me even though I’m going slowly…

Sherryann, glad you had such a fun day!!

Safe travels, Salma!

Lori, I’m really impressed with your excercise. I feel proud if I lift a few weights!

Cinque, hope the movie was fun!!!

Sunday will be my big weekend challenge. We are passholders at Biltmore–the estate of the Vanderbilt family–and are doing a tour and brunch buffet!!! I guess we’ll watch the super bowl in the evening since the Panthers are just two hours from here and everyone will be talking about it.

Have a great weekend, everyone!!

Good Morning!

So great to see all the activity on this thread!

Milena & Salma…thanks for checking in the past couple days, we have been missing you. Salma, I’m sure you’ll get those skirts back to loose again soon once you are home from traveling.

Carolina…great job on the loss! Your tour of the Biltmore and brunch sounds fabulous.

I didn’t get on the scale this morning as I had a Thai shrimp salad for dinner last night and I know there was sugar and a good bit of sodium in the dressing. It was quite good, but I’m sure I’ll pay the price on the scale for a few days.

Sherry…another busy day for you! Have fun pub hopping while celebrating your husband’s birthday! I love doing that sort of thing. I’m really not a big drinker, but do enjoy a good beer or 2. I don’t care for the dark beers, I always go for the lighter varieties. And of course, there are the ever present appetizers that are served with the beer. OY!

Cinque…hope you’re enjoying your social whirl! Sounds like you’ve been having fun.

I’ll be puttering around the house today. I have to get the guest room ready for my sister next weekend. Having her visit to look forward to will get me thru work next week. Things are still tense at work, but getting better. I just have to let it go and move on. Holding onto the anger was just making me feel bad and it’s not worth it. 9 more months to get thru!

Time for cup of coffee #2-Have a lovely weekend!

Quiet day today. No visitors, and fasting! πŸ™‚
    Next visitor arrives the day after tomorrow.
    The movie was lovely and Arlo had a good time here.

Caroline I hope you have a lovely weekend. How do you manage the buffet? I like being very organised. Check out everything and then make a small selection of my favourite things. Sometimes I am a little greedier than I want to be!

Lori 9 months is a long time to work for someone who makes your bloodpressure rise! Good luck finding a way to coolly cruise though. I’m glad your sister will be there next weekend.

Sherry,
    The waffles are great! The waffle iron means the raw ingredients puff up – the same principle they use for puffed rice, puffed wheat cereals.
    But it is a vague recipe. You can make these with any mix of raw cereals, seeds, lentils or nuts. I have put the mixes that were from the original recipe below (I add less oil and salt), with one I devised for a gluten free friend.
    Here’s a link to where I put them up on the Jamie Oliver forum years ago.
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/member-recipes/recipe-detail/2436/
    It has a picture of my heart shaped waffles. I don’t think they would work in the type of iron that makes the thick ones.
    I don’t follow a recipe any more, the other day I just threw in some oats, sesame seeds, walnuts, semolina flour and a little plain flour. Pinch of salt and a teaspoon of oil. Water to blend, (a strong blender is a good thing!) and get to the pancake consistency (a fairly porridgy pancake consistency!). I make a smaller amount because it is just me.
    Pour the mixture into the hot iron (I lightly grease it at the beginning, but it doesn’t need more oil after that).
    I see in that link I said cook 5 mins each side, but these days I cook them closer to ten minutes each side. That might make it a very long breakfast to feed your crew! They need to cook through and be light and crispy (a layer of uncooked mixture in the middle is no fun).
    They are great to accompany stew or soup, or a dessert like stewed fruit. But we mostly put a little butter and vegemite on them!

LENTIL OAT WAFFLES
    1/2 cup soaked red lentils
    1 1/2 cups rolled oats
    1 tbsp oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 1/3 cups water

MIXED GRAIN
    1/2 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup cornmeal
    1/2 cup rye flour
    1/2 cup wholemeal flour
    1 tbsp oil
    pinch salt
    2 1/2 cups water

NUT OAT WAFFLES
    1 1/2 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup almonds
    1 tbsp oil
    pinch of salt
    2 1/2 cups water

GLUTEN FREE
    1 cup buckwheat flour
    3/4 cup cornmeal
    1/2 cup chopped Brazil nuts
    1/4 cup sesame seeds
    1 tsp oil
    pinch salt
    2 1/2 cups water

Hi you fabulous fifties!

I’m feeling not quite so fab this morning. I think I overdid the exercise yesterday, not to mention haven’t been feeling my best since I’ve been trying to fend off the family’s sickness for 3 weeks. The pilates class was extra tough and then I stupidly agreed to go on an hour walk with the hubby later on. This morning I took Advil and drank a cup of coffee (something I rarely do) just to survive tonight/feel a bit better!

Cinque, thanks for the recipe. Think I’ll try the gluten free version! Glad
    your little friend liked the movie. Of course, with my crew of little ones, we’ve already seen (and loved) it! Glad you’re able to get a peaceful fast in before the next visitor arrives. I’m realizing Hawaii is quickly looming (less than 2 wks.) and I need to really start being “better” with the food choices. I think I’ve been relying too much on the nut and seed based recipes lately and my body can’t tolerate that much (i.e. I store fat!). Do you soak all your nuts before eating them to release that chemical (can’t think of the name right now) that once gone, helps you better digest them? Wondering it that might be part of my problem? Btw, you might be interested in this since you like to be sugar free: I made pumpkin, oat, almond meal pancakes this morning and topped them with a syrup I made with yacon syrup (sugar/carb free from a South American tuber and tastes like molasses) and a touch of natural maple extract. Quite yummy!

Carolina, congrats on meeting your goal! Sounds like the doc visit was a success overall!

Lori, thanks for the wishes of fun on our pub crawl! I might have a glass of wine, but again, I have designated driver status after all!

Milena, how’s it going toward getting back to the November weight? I hope well! Congrats again to you and Salma for how far you’ve come in the last year. The best part is the great attitude you have toward the whole process which I’m sure will be key to your long term success with the plan! πŸ™‚ You help keep it all in prospective and keep us all going so merci for that!

Off to get ready to hit the pubs!

Greetings all.

Very interesting to read all your posts.

My issue is about weight loss expectations. I have stayed on the 5:2 since 7 January and lost 7 kilos with little exercise. I have dieted in the distant past not using 5:2 and had a steady weight loss but this time weighing once a week I have experienced small gains as well as losses, then suddenly my weight drops dramatically. The fluctuations are frustrating and overall misleading. I have resolved to weigh only once per fortnight and measure once per month and thereby focus on the bigger picture.

My issue is about weight loss expectations. I have stayed on the 5:2 since 7 January and lost 7 kilos with little exercise. I have dieted in the distant past not using 5:2 and had a steady weight loss but this time weighing once a week I have experienced small gains as well as losses, then suddenly my weight drops dramatically. The fluctuations are frustrating and overall misleading. I have resolved to weigh only once per fortnight and measure once per month and thereby focus on the bigger picture.

Hi Secretly Slim,
    Is it that very human wish to lose weight quickly and in a steadystream, that you are commenting on? As a species we seem to long for the quick fix, and freak out when it doesn’t happen in an ordered way. (Hence all the weightloss advertising). No wonder those up and down scales drive everyone up the wall.
    Even though I know their limitations, when I had some they still drove me up the wall, and I am very glad I gave them away.

Doing 5:2 without scales, or TDEE, or calorie counters, or apps of any kind, I find that the way I notice weight loss is in jumps. I seem to be doing nothing, and then all of a sudden I look skinnier, clothes are too big.
    How I notice is not necessarily how anyone else notices either. It is interesting to see how my friends will be just going on as normal, and then all of a sudden it is “Omg you’ve lost weight!”

I like keeping my eye on the bigger picture too. Firstly because 5:2 is about the longterm for me, and secondly because I want to change my eating habits: portion sizes, tastes, snacks, how I manage eating out, eating when stressed, etc etc.

5:2 really helps me with this, partly because as I lose weight my food needs change, and it also puts a break in my eating twice a week, that seems to break the old patterns, and access the healthier, more natural (thousands of years of evolution) ones for ‘normal’ eating.

πŸ™‚

PS Just came back to clarify that I have loved to see, on these forums, all the different ways of incorporating 5:2 into lives. I know that for some people daily weighing is essential, combining 5:2 with calorie counting, exercise, and making use of a whole variety of wonderful apps or whatever. Each person has to work out what suits them.
    It is endlessly fascinating. I know what works for me could be a disaster for someone else, but that sharing all our different ways makes a wonderful toolbox available to us all.

Hi everyone. Sorry to have been gone for awhile. I’ve been on the road, visiting my mother in Pennsylvania and giving a talk at a university there. And, like you, Salma,feeling a little tighter in the skirts. I also somehow got unsubscribed from the list. Wondered why it had gotten so quiet all of a sudden! Now I’m trying to catch up with your posts and with 5:2 again.

Congratulations Milena, Salma, Lori, Sherry, Caroline and all you other losers. It is a slow process, with times in the layby, but as you all keep reminding me, it’s a way of life not a short term diet. I’ve been good at fasting one day a week but so often don’t fit that second day in somehow. So I seem to be on maintenance. Lots better than gaining. But I’m going to make a push the next three weeks, before a trip to California, to get in at least two fast days a week and see if I cannot shed 4-5 lbs. Lori, you’re success has inspired me to try to go low carb these next three weeks as well.

So, fasting today. Have only had cottage cheese and a mandarin. Soup is simmering in the crockpot for dinner.

Hope you’re all having a lovely day.

MM

Hi MM, I am so glad you are back on the list!
    I hope it was a great trip and a successful talk.
    Good luck with a good run of double fasts! It sounds like today ( yesterday?) has been an excellent start. Mm, what could be better than soup simmering in the crockpot!
    It takes a lot of determination to get the fast days working, and the busier your life, the harder it can be. All power to you. You will feel great if your skirts are nice and comfy again.

I had a very cruisey day yesterday, but I have a visitor coming for a couple of days arriving tomorrow, so I need to make sure I am ready, and o dear I am so behind with all the rest.

Another cup of tea first! β˜•οΈ

Best wishes everyone!

Hi Everyone,

A lazy day here. I’m fasting today after last night’s excess food. I don’t understand why I eat food that isn’t good for me! I feel grumpy and hot flashy and just not myself! πŸ™ I’m chugging green juice made of cucumber, celery, parsley, spinach, lime, mint, stevia and coconut water right now in an attempt to cleanse my system! Not bad…tastes a bit like a mojito!).

Cinque, wish I could navigate this eating thing as smoothly and gracefully as you and had the guts to throw away the scale! Has your houseguest arrived yet? Do you have any fun plans during the visit?

MM, glad to see you back. Hope the visit with mom and the speech went well! Yes, maintaining is better than gaining. Me, I’m on a constant roller coaster it seems! Where are you going in California? Is it vacation or work related?

Have a good day all!

Sherry

Hi Sherry, glad you got through your pub crawl! You’d be in worse shape if you weren’t designated driver, I suspect!
    Green juice will be just the thing!

Re the scales, I would have needed guts to keep them. They did my head in.

My visitor is someone with the same illness as me. We met through a support group. He lives on an island off Tasmania https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Island_%28Tasmania%29 and generally when he comes to Melbourne he has to stay at a hotel in the city – which is boring and expensive when you are ill. So we will see how he goes staying here. It is just a couple of days.
    No fun plans! But hopefully it will be a nice time. He is only in his 30’s and has been ill all his adult life, which is isolating enough, without living on a small island!

Oh dear, it is half past 11 and I have done nothing except have breakfast! Get into gear Cinque! See you later folks!

Cinque,

Here’s hoping your day got more productive as it went on! πŸ˜‰ I’m happy you have a friend who can relate to what your dealing with. So nice of you to offer him a place to stay because as you said, it’s got to be difficult to stay in a hotel when you don’t feel well. I’m sure you will make him feel right at home with your wonderful cooking too! A hotel restaurant wouldn’t compare!

Thanks for the info on King Island-interesting! How does he get to the Mainland? Does he take a ferry over? Is it a short trip?

The day is coming to a close here and my fast went well so hopefully I’ll feel a little less bloated/better tomorrow!

Hi all
    Enjoy a few days with your visitor Cinque, smiled when I read how you ‘met’, I got to know someone about 8 years ago, origInally on a thread on South Beach Diet and when the thread died we emailed each other and over time we have got to know each other quite well and have met up about 4 times in New York, we are friends now, sometimes it is easier to vent to folk an ocean away, she lives in US and I am in UK.
    My extended btd celebration has now done, time to draw a line and move on. Last night I was quite down as it seems I don’t get to grips with this weight but now I have read over all the posts and feel ok, I am not the only one to to and fro and so long as I keep going, it will be ok.
    So juicy/soup FD today and tomorrow, two meals out weds and head into a quiet w/e.
    Eat well and enjoy it, life is too short – heard yesterday of an acquaintance who died, mid 60s, first one of our extended group of friends but makes me thankful for all the time I have,
    Susie

Viewing 50 posts - 3,101 through 3,150 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.