Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,251 through 1,300 (of 5,077 total)

• hi Firehorse

good luck with your cat. My girl, who was at the vet to be put to sleep the other week, and for whom I had a week without sleep, cried a river, and at one time was hunting for a pulse, head back, thin as a rake and blind, and had to be hand fed and watered and carried to her litter tray – is putting on weight, has only the slightest wobble when she walks. Very active, even chasing spiders and being her normal pain in the bum.

One of her sons was born perfect and well. Stopped growing at six weeks, my fantastic vet was on holiday, locum said he would be dead in a week, had the worst case of heart defect. Son, who was quite young then, was distraught. Saw my vet a week later, he said wait and see.

Eventually went to Dick Vets – major vet hospital, major costs, was told defect was bad but not the worst. Hubby let us keep him. He lasted three and a half years, wonderful chap. We showed the girls, so entered him into pedigree pet section, won best in show pet, one of the judges told me off as he was good enough to show in the main section – but thought he was a kitten – burmese boys are huge cats – he was two and a half – he never did grow.

Just watch out for a swollen belly, it can be drained but keep an eye.

Fingers crossed.

Still looking for that Boots Salma – pretty much a fasting week, scales are stuck.

OHs brothers came over tonight, so a bottle of wine was opened . Had a wee sniff, ie a smell not a snifter. He has drunk the bottle, So pleased I didnt give in, but to be fair he thought I was able to drink. Son brought out a bottle of Chateau Neuf de Pape, made him out it back. Not going to sit here and see my good wine drunk!!!!!!!

Hallo Salma, what an awful burden for such a young person, wish there was a magic wand to wave it all away! I haven’t got your debilitating illness but was diagnosed sometime ago with psoriasis, this was at the same time as the menopause, hot flashes constantly etc etc. My weight was all over the place even though I’m very health conscious but still couldn’t stay at a stable weight, was permanently 10 kilos to heavy. I managed to loose most of this with the fast diet and was at the same time introduced to the werk of Dr Natasha Cambell Blyth, actually going back to eating how they did before manufactured food took over and the obesity epidemic began, with all sorts of behavioural and psychiatric problems took over. My advice if you have time as a student, read about her and also Joanna blythman, investigating journalist and award winning writer of Swallow This and What to Eat will certainly help. Dr Natasha Cambell Blyths 2 hour you tube film is also enlightening, many serious health problems are related to what we eat or what we don’t eat in our modern society. My health problems are now a thing of the past, hope this helps.
    Kind Regards,
    Ann Joyce.

Hi Milena

Well done, I am really proud of you!! It will show up…..the loss I mean, just when you least expect it. Weigh in day for me tomorrow.

Hi Ann

Glad to hear that your health problems are now in the past.

Ginette

Bless you Ann Joyce ffor calling me “such a young person”..!!

I most certainly am not. I am almost 55 and started the psoriasis a couple of years ago. I had started heavy hemorrhaging badly before I started progesterone therapy. I then developed psoriasis 2 years after. So, I am in the wonderful throes of the menopause as well as being unable to lose weight for th epast few years no matter what I try, a very slow (in fact totally dead) thyroid and now psoriasis in 4 of my nails, and has spread to my knees abd that seems to be developing into psoriatic arthritis.

I can’t tell you what fun all this is.

Anyway, thanks for th reading recommendations. I will look them up. Did you have pretty bad psoriasis? How long did you have it? when were you clear of it? and wahat is the thing that you thought helped most?

Thanks,
    Salma

Hi Salma

Im confused by your post, Certainly not young – can’t work out thst one, Ive three years on you and I’m still a spring – ok, late summer, but I’m definitely still young so you have to be young too!!!!!

Hi Salma, Really I know just how you feel, sorry that sounds arrogant but I so sympathise with you, everything seems to come at once, all the info about the menopause just didn’t seem to include anything like psoriasis. I spent many a night in a bath with soda which helped in the short term ((old wives tale). My psoriasis was concentrated on every hole in my body, started 4 years ago, which made daily hygiene very painful. My dermatologist prescribed hormone creams a year ago but these have wicked side effects such as altering the texture of your skin including making it more transparant which wasn’t something I relished considering my eyes, nose, mouth and ears were also in full view for myself and the public (the latter doesn’t interest me as much.
    So I never just accept what a doctor/scientific research etc says I decided to make it my research hobby. The fast diet appealed to me because of the fasting accent an ancient way to heal all evils, so I followed this to the letter including no more easy meals, grannys methods, lots of fresh veggies and a limited amount of fruit, sugar pretty much banned from my diet (if you read how 40 years ago sugar became so popular in America coinciding with lots of health problems, reading Pure White and Deadly, my toes curled, including a feeling of dismay how I encouraged my children to eat this stuff and also how the rise in many serious medical conditions became the norm, you begin to look at processed foods, we’ve been hoodwinked by these money making manufacturers knowingly and still are but they disguise these ingrediënts with wonderful words).
    So one thing led to another, Joanna Blythman, an investigating journalist with good recommendations disclosed in her books how this worked and works. After reading these and also Dr Natasha Cambell McBride MD, MMed! Neurologist, MMedSci, Nutrition, set up the Cambridge Nutrition Clinic in 1998 and also the mother of a child with severe learning disabilities and is now fully recovered thanks to her research and werk.
    I started firstly cutting out as much processed food as possible, stopped my 15 years of vegetarian lifestyle, organic meats, lots of broths made from marrow bones, old fashioned but very tasty, choosing organic foods but occasionally when eating out this is virtually impossible and still doing the 5/2 and now for 3/4 months the 6/1. My general wellbeing and weight stays constant for the first time in my life and my psoriasis is so much improved, that can now and again raise its ugly head and then when I look back over the previous 24 hours I notice that I’ve usually eaten or drank something that had all sorts of addetives in.
    Hopefully this helps Salma, please feel free to contact me if I can assist you.
    Ann Joyce

Hi there everyone

Thanks for kind comments! Last night went to see some Gypsy dancing, part of a festival, it put me back in the right frame of mind 🙂

Saw the film Fed up, and was quite gobsmacked, stuff you know but when you see makes you sit up and re-think, the sad part were the fat children who had to deal with it on a daily basis and all the negative impact that goes hand in hand 🙁 Serious re-thinking of foods that will be semi-permanently kissed goodbye to, I might shed a tear, but it’ll be worth it. Wine has been on my hit list since Jan, I love it, but have to admit it doesn’t love me, so far have got down to couple of glasses a week, but am going to aim to reduce that further, and see how it effects my FD’s, every time I allow myself a glass, it appears to have some knock on effect, generally not good. Will keep you posted on how this goes.

Firehorse, am sending positive vibes for your cat

Phoebe, yes the hummus is great, also do it in mini blender, with a few spring onions, lime and a bit of cayenne, sometimes add avocado…

Milena, such willpower on the wine, congrats on being so strong

Salma agree with the work funk thing, work can be stressful right? but refuse to let it dominate, also have thyroid issues, annoying isn’t it?

Ginette, let us know how the acupunture goes..

Ann joyce, thanks for sharing this..

FD for me today, enjoy BH, those in UK…x

Drum roll please,

I have been on scales and….I am now in the 140s.

Only just but wow thanks ginette for the game and the Thanks everyone for your support. I couldn’t have done it without you all.

Audrey

Hi Salma

I am so sorry to read about your problems. My grandfather suffered from this for as long as I can remember. It was recommended that he swam in the sea as often as he could. He did this for all of the nicer weather. We live near the sea so nice and easy.

Hi Ann

It is wonderful to have someone who has helpful information about this for Salma. I know how big of a problem it can be. I knew someone who suffered from it really badly quite recently we are not in contact now, but at the time I knew him, he couldn’t even sleep because of it. I have never seen such a bad case. I am including a link for you and Salma which you may find interesting.

This woman has it badly, but the person I knew was much worse than her.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2939448/My-family-said-skin-food-Woman-left-feeling-like-leper-psoriasis-herbal-cream-helped.html

Salma

You must be young as I am a little older and I’m still youngish like Milena.

Look in the mirror. You look young, enjoy it.

Hi Beldyboop

That documentary looks good I shall keep an eye out for it.

Last night I watched a documentary that was on the day before about binge drinking. How interesting was that. I didn’t realise that two glasses of wine can be considered a binge. How awful for people who enjoy it. It really is an eye opener.

I shan’t go into any more details as I know it is the weekend and many people will be enjoying the odd glass of wine.

If you really want to see it it was called is binge drinking really that bad?

Hi Beldyboop

Well the next time I feel stuck in a rut, I had better go and find some gypsy dancers.

I have had acupuncture before and know it works, I have to weigh up the costs though as it is relatively expensive. My blood pressure was lower the day after that.

It is relaxing as well – who would have though having needles stuck in you could feel that!! They are really fine needles and you hardly feel them.

I have something next week I am really not looking forward to so let’s hope it helps.

Well done Audrey

A nice feeling. Long may it continue, you have done a lot of exercise so this must help, also I know it helps with the toning.

Hi Firehorse

Thinking of you.

I have lost two pounds so all in all 3 stone now. On the FBD diet I have lost 13lbs. An enormous amount and I hope to get at lease one more and then it will be a stone. In kilos this is 6.35.

Ok off to make bacon sandwich now……….

I can’t wait, that and a nice cup of tea.

Have a good weekend all.

Ginette

Ginette, I thought it was you who advised me to watch Fed Up, you should watch it if you haven’t already, very enlightening for those still addicted to sugar. Not that you are of course.

Enjoy your bacon buttie, you have earned it!

I thought it rang a bell!! How silly is that.

Ah well the only thing in my mind is my bacon sandwich at the moment and I don’t even care if bacon is bad for you!! I obviously don’t need to worry about salt.

Food wise there is being good and being ridiculous ……. Cutting down not out is the way, I can’t wait to have my treats back and hopefully I will eat less of them, but I will savour the ones I have.

When you know you can’t have something I am sure you want it more!! Human nature.

Just over a week to go Milena if you are reading this!

Ginette

Hi Ann,

thanks so much for your kind note. I really appreciate hearing from someone with similar issues, particularly if they have managed to overcome them. I completely agree with your statement: “So I never just accept what a doctor/scientific research etc says I decided to make it my research hobby”. I am the same, I do a lot of research and do not take anything a doctor says for granted. I worked in the medical environment (healthcare management) and am only too well aware of what can go wrong. I will read the references you sent and let you know how I get on. I know the psoriasis is different for each person and the remedies you respond to are different for everyone. I also believe in healthful eating, cooking and using organic food whenever possible. I have lived like this for a long time. I do not cut OUT anything, but I use sugar sparingly and hardly ever eat pre-packaged or processed food. I believe in the power of food to heal (as well as to induce disease), but often, heavy doses of stress do much harm that is sometimes irreversible. Here, we have a way of referring to anger and upset as “poisoning the blood” and that is exactly what it is.. it takes its toll. I really believe that you need to feed both your body and your mind/soul with wholesome stuff.. make friends.. do something meaningful.. keep good relationships going and ditch ones that constantly cause you grief, sadness or irritation.

Thanks, Ginette, for your suggestions,, kindness and always taking the time to answer and comment not to mention send interesting and useful information.

Okay.. somber mood over..

Congrats to everyone who is losing. I am not actually losing (I don’t think), but a couple of people commented that I must have lost “TONS” of weight!!! Maybe it is the Marilyn in me emerging at long last? Maybe those enemy scales are just messing with my mind?

Well, anyway, I totally messed up on lunch today. I was tired (long, long, long boring meeting) and sleepy and the chicken Tikka curry and succulent lamb with rice looked too good to resist. Oh, and did I mention the very special desert “Kunafah” which is basically a crusty semolina type top with melted cheese bottom (hot) with syrup? It is very very naughty, but delicious. I shall have to atone for my sins after I get back home tomorrow. I have a ton of family here and so I am invited to a special dinner this evening too. Sigh!!!!

Applepie, the documentary “Fed Up” is excellent. It really opens your eyes up. I love these documentaries and watch them on Netflix when I can or on TV. I can post about a few that I found interesting (but have to wait until I get home to do so). I find that I have to watch these things every so often just to make sure I remember what gunk they put in our foods. Ann, you are so right. It makes me really angry.

Now, as for my spirit age (young) versus my chronological age (erm.. late summer as Milena puts it).. it is what it is. I FEEL 25 apart from the 101 health issues that I seem to have acquired on the way, but certainly, the bloom is gone or has dimmed, shall we say? No matter.. I can be the best I can be, no? This reminds me of something my sister once said to me when I was moaning about my cellulite: “Honey”, she said, “This is the best you are ever going to look from now on.. enjoy it!” , of course meaning, it ain’t going to get any better going forward. Gravity, genes, TV, work and general laziness all conspire to draw the marks of time on our bods..

I hope you are enjoying your Saturday.. Ginette I am sure your bacon will taste twice as good now that you don’t have to worry about salt. 13 lbs is nothing to sneeze at.. but I am not sure I can stay off the goodies for 6 weeks.. and the VINO!!! Valiant Milena is but to be admired.

Be well one and all..

Hi Salma

Your posts are getting almost as long as mine…..

Enjoy the meal, the semolina whatever sound delicious. When I was talking to Milena the other week I said that I thought three weeks of FBD was enough to change eating habits. I still think that but I signed up for six (metaphorically speaking) so six it is.

The bacon was nice but I think I made the mistake of having tomatoes and lettuce in the samdwich. I have enough for another one in a few days and will have just bacon.

I am off out to meet a friend and her daughter, she is going to start 5:2 next week and really needs to lose weight. I shall post here as I have advised her to post on fat bustin Brits and maybe later another thread. She will need a lot of support as she has been though the endless diet tryouts like many of us.

I hope it works. She is in her 40s so too young to post here.

Well off to get her sorted now, I shall be back later on.

Ginette

Hi Salma,

I am 57 years old and started 5:2 just last January and have lost 15 lbs so far. Want to lose another 24 lb. When I started my fast days were Monday and Wednesday. However, recently I changed to Monday and Tuesday and find it even easier. It just suits me to do it like this. Have stopped weighing myself every week as it was annoying and frustrating when the scales would go up even though my body shape was changing and my clothes were getting looser. I am thinking about joining a gym for the first time in years. So far, have been using a kettle bell at home and doing fast walking. A lot of the classes in the local gym are now listed as lasing 20 mins so it looks as if HIT is the way to go now. Would like to try TRX to tone the difficult bits, arms and whatnot. One trainer has training experience with 50 something women and says we can gain back muscle. Sound good to me. Good luck with your journey.

Hey everyone
    Life keeps on keeping on, don’t it? Sorry to hear about your cat Firehorse, good luck with that. I think I have spent rather a lot of my life reacting to events like that with food. Well, that worked well!
    I seem to have been getting some awful moments of clarity regarding my food habits this week. Is this usual when you start 5:2? 🙂 For instance, although I eat mostly healthy food (very little processed food, although chips and chocolate have been known to pass my lips) the sheer amount I have been able to chow down (and the associated calories) is scary. I have been easily able to eat a meal while preparing a meal, for example.

Also, post Atkins, I got into habit of eating very high fat food (because it was allowed on that) but then not watching my carb intake at all. The surprise is not that I am fat but that I haven’t actually exploded. Half a bottle of red wine of an evening too -eek.

Have ordered the Fast Cookbook and it has arrived, so I have been getting some ideas from that – noty just for fast days but for NFDs too – healthy nutritious meals that aren’t loaded with calories. And also getting a feel for quantities and realising that I don’t have to eat like a rugby player.

Wow, as I say it’s been an eye-opener (in a good way, although I do feel somewhat embarrassed about past eating habits.) Still now I know better, I do better, eh?
    Hope you’re all having a lovely bank holiday weekend – weather in Scotland is -almost- warm after such a slow cold spring!

This forum is really helpful – what a great community xxx

Hi Celticpurple

That’s good as you have lost over a third of what you want. Do you notice your clothes are looser? That is a nice feeling.

I agree Hiit seems to get really good results. I need to tone up though as I have a lot to lose. I thought about going to the gym, but I would rather exercise at home.

Good luck if you try the trainer. Hopefully they will be understanding and build up the intensity. The trainers I have seen have been very intense (not personally). They would need to have an ambulance on standby.

Hi Kate

We have probably all have that moment. Looking back can be shocking at the type of foods we ate and also the quantity. I still have most of those foods, but in very different quantities.

I am restricting myself a lot now but this isn’t achievable for me long term. It is only because I am on FBD this is essentially 5:2 without the treats. I am missing them a little, probably in part due to the food conversations I have with Milena in the wee small hours. We talk about all the food we are missing and I can’t wait to try a raspberry magnum.

We have now almost completed 5 weeks and so have a week to go.

I started calorie counting on this and I found it surprising how it made me think about what I was eating. A good thing I think. I use my fitness pal app. How is your weight loss going?

It was a nice day here in the south and warm tonight.

I shall post some recipe links for you.

Here is the first

http://www.womanmagazine.co.uk/food/slimmer-dinners-recipes-from-the-hairy-dieters-including-prawn-korma-and-easy-chicken-jalfrezi/?pid=10299

I shall post tge others below.

Ginette

Good morning girls.
    Hi Celticpurple and welcome to our friendly group. You have done so well!
    Kate.. ain’t that the truth! I now feel awful when I have eatern too much, which was my modus operendi, so to speak, previously. I am skipping breakfast this morning although I am not on a fast day today, but I had too much food yesterday and feel yucky this morning. That’s the beauty of fasting, it just feels like you cleanse your system and metaphorically turned a new page.

I found out my favourite cousin, who I saw for dinner yesterday, has found her way to 5:2. She, obviously, was not fasting yesterday, so while eating our way through dinner, we were talking about fasting!! Easier to talk, huh? She had just started (2 weeks) so it was nice to be able to encourage her.

Well.. today I go back home and hopefully get into some semblance of a routine and try to undo some of the overindulgence. Have a great day everyone and enjoy your bank holiday weekend.

Salma

Morning people,

Welcome to our little band celticpurple you are very welcome here.

I started in January too have so far lost 24 lb with another 16 to go, I tried to post my weight loss yesterday but it only said 20 lb even the Internet is against my weight loss hehe.

I went shopping for clothes yesterday and told the lady in shop what I had lost and how I had done it, she said oh i need to lose lots and I have got that app! So I said stop reading and start fasting hehe! Think she got the point it is so much easier to talk about weight loss than do it.

Ginette I did another hr on wii yesterday, am now in Egypt I think!

Audrey

Thank you to everyone for the kind thoughts and advice re my cat, Floyd. I’m hopeful that the meds are working to get him out of chf as he seems to have a little more energy and was even chasing Max, one of my other cats, this morning.

I haven’t done much on the exercise bike this week but am not feeling guilty as my bank holiday weekend is consisting of lots of heavy work in the garden….. digging, levelling, laying weed matting and lugging round bags and bags of slate chippings at 20kg apiece… And I have the bruises to prove it!

Its all calories burnt!

Hi peeps,

Had to swap FD, so am fasting today, find w/e fasting to be not ideal, but have yoga/mediation tonite so that will take my mind of it, one would hope! Ginette I watched the program on binge drinking, I’d already decided to give up for a while, but it did bring it home. Am going to stop from next Sunday, have a Champagne tea on Saturday (courtesy of Groupon) would like to see on how much it impacts my food choices.

Celticpurple, welcome! this is a fabulous support. I’ve lost 8 Ibs since April 7, and have 20 to go, my goal is end of September. I haven’t done HIT, but add fast intervals to my running. Also do 30 min, strength training at home, to build muscle, am no fan of weights but have added them grudgingly to my routine, I’d like to get a medicine ball, as they seem more fun 😉

Congrats Audrey that’s a fab acomplishment. 🙂

Salma well done for getting through that long work event, I’ll bet you’re glad to be getting back home, that desert sounds amazing.

Kate, yes I think this WOL brings a lot of things home, some not very comfortable, I’m a menace with sugar, and it’s emotional fixing, so bread, biscuits, alcohol are definitely out…I aim to have treats, but will choose the right time. On the whole I make healthy food choices, I’m vegetarian, and I don’t eat cheese, and most diary, I make a concession with Greek yoghurt, due to the protein (yes it’s a bit high in fat) there’s also Co Yo, coconut yoghurt, but quite pricey.

Ginette, and Milena, one more week to go! amazing!

Best wishes to all

Ginette, thanks so much for those resources – they look fab! Well done on the FBD and I look forward very much to finding out if the raspberry magnum is what you think it’s going to be….? Or if it’s going to be impossibly sweet now your body is a temple?
    I told my son MY body is now a temple, as I refused red wine the other night…. he replied, ‘Aye Mum, the Parthenon!’ 🙂 🙂 I think he meant gigantic, crumbling and old….
    I too am a menace with sugar, Beldyboop – better none at all than ‘just a little’ – it is a complete trigger food for me.
    Tomorrow is really my weigh-in/measure day but I have to be away really early so did it today: 7lbs off in a week! Even allowing for carb bloat/water weight that is great – my body also has lost a few inches. Don’t expect that every week – in fact past history might suggest I lose very little over the next couple of weeks while my soul catches up, so to speak – but nevertheless, what a brilliant start.
    My first major target is to weigh less than 200 lbs but as that’s about a stone away it may take some time.
    Hope you’re all enjoying bank holiday – I am also gardening Firehorse (which is what I do for a living, but this is in my own garden which I just love.)

Hi all

fourth attempt at writing this, about to give up!

Well done Ginette, bit between your teeth now – looking forward a great summer getting to see less and less of you! Inspiring for us all!

Audrey, 140 – that was my first goal – and I am more than halfway there – though I now hope its just a staging post for greater – lesser – things – two thirds of your way there – you will see the finishing post already, wonderful!

Firehorse, have a look at the bach flower remedies if your puss has down days – indeed everyone should check them out if you are having a down day – I’ve been using them for years.

Beldyboop – as the kids say – respect! Always a little harder at the weekend, hope you are off tomorrow.

Kate Eve, welcome – great start on a great journey.

Hi Salma – phew, isn’t work hard sometimes – hope the next few weeks are kinder.

Celticpurple, go gal, I am now the weight where I promised myself I would start going to the gym – hope they have a baby elephants class for me! Interesting handle, Scots or Irish?

Janeyw – our wee star – sounding busy but coping with the hardship that is maintenance – oh how we are all looking forward to that hardship.

Everyone else, hope its going well – Applepie, answered!

Took a day off yesterday, no calorie counting and off to the pub with Nessie -she has hit her FBD target so had a vodka – but no wine for either of us – though it was sorely missed.

Shared a one person platter and a portion of chips – Nessie ate most but I don’t like cheese and just wanted a taste of the chips, had lots of goodies – the haggis balls were nice – never realised haggis balls were quite that big!

Left the table not feeling full, and we had no puds or lattes – well OH made Nessie one when we got back – so it is possible to go into the real world without going mad!

Sun is shining but work for me, can do photos anyway – have a great bank holiday, working day tomorrow but now trying to save for a wee jaunt in September so I don’t mind – changing hols from June to later means I might be thinner! Yay!

Travel hopefully………………..

Hi Milena, great to see you back on FB, if only fleetingly 🙁
    Why did you take 4 attempts to post on here? did you insert smileys? I believe they can make posts vanish. Changing your hols from June to September does not mean you might be thinner. It means you WILL be thinner!!

Kate Eve, WOW! brilliant! you go girl.

Happy Fasting!

Hi Salma

Your cousin has good intentions, let’s hope that they turn into actions. I have good intentions about lots of things, but they remain that as I need to get around to do things to make them count.

These aren’t food related – but related to decorating and sorting things out. Let’s hope that that changes soon.

It must be nice to be home now, you can relax back into routine.

Audrey

As I said above about good intentions, applies to the lady in the shop. Congratulations again. You exercise fiend…….. Egypt!! That is progress.

Hi Firehorse

Don’t worry about the exercise there is time for that you have had your mind on more important issues this week. I’m glad your cat is sounding better. Strenuous gardening is good for the mind and spirit.

It will be calories burnt and even look good – so win win!

Hi Beldyboop

Yes how shocking was that!! I never would have thought that it would do that much damage to people’s bodies just to have a little wine. Now binge drinking – well excessive binges (and that was only once a week) I would think could have a damaging effect. But do enjoy your champagne tea.

That’s really something fasting on weekends! I can on Saturday with. O problems but Sunday would be something else. I hear that I have gammon salad today though. So it will be a good day.

I do love goats cheese especially the hard one. Asda used to sell it but they don’t anymore.

Hi Kate

As I find things I like to share, part of the pleasure for me. So I hope they come in handy. I know there is a woman app for recipes like this but at the moment I have plenty, it is £2. I have however subscribed to the woman magazine, the online version as there are always these things in there. So it got them a customer!!

If it makes you feel better, sugar was a trigger for me as well but after a few months on 5:2 I can say that I can have a little of something and it doesn’t act the same way now. So no longer a trigger. Let’s hope you get to this stage soon.

Past history on other diets is one thing. On every other diet I was on it was as you described. On 5:2 it didn’t happen this way. I hope you find the same.

You have a a great start, I will add a link in another post to link you to my 10 week weight loss thread. I show it week by week for people.

My 200 lbs is still about another 36 to go. But as this is only a competition with myself, I won’t worry, I shall just plod along and get there one day!

Good luck with your continuing journey.

Hi Milena

Yes we are both getting there. I will not let it beat me especially on the final week. No chance!!

That is great news about Nessie, send her my congratulations. I didn’t have a set amount I wanted to lose in my mind when I started FBD but I do now as we are on the last furlong. A stone would be great to achieve and to drop into the 16 stone bracket (top end I know).

I’m glad you had a day off of counting and a nice meal out. Now Milena, didn’t you realise that was why the haggis had trouble running. Of course it is the size of what you have eaten….why do you think they had trouble running??

No sun shining here!!

Of course you will be thinner….goes without saying.

Ginette

Hi Apple pie

Posts must have crossed. I hope all is well with you?

Ah yes smileys if you use a colon and bracket it changes to a smiley.

This is for you Kate

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/my-10-week-weight-loss-week-by-week/#post-92327

There is someone starting 5:2 this week. She will probably be reading threads now. Her name is Sue and I am a good friend of her mums. She has had lots of unsuccessful attempts on different diets and so is much the same as most of us all. I have suggested fat business Brits as a thread to go on as she is too young for this one.

I really hope she does well as I have known her for some time. I am sure you will make her welcome when she shows her face.

Have a good Sunday all.

Ginette

Audrey, Hi, I read on other posts that smileys can stop posts. Was just having problems, tried phone tablet and computer, laptop works.

Forgot to say to Kate, as I lost do many messages, would lobevto meet, Antique centre in Abernyte has a good cafe for lunch or coffee, or if there is anywhere you might recommend, could do it next month?

Thanks Ginette – I feel very ‘well armed’ now, thanks to you!
    Milena, that would be marvellous…I am self-employed so can usually organise my time to suit when you are up at the antiques centre. You will easily recognise me, I will be the skinny one bwahahahaha!!!

Hi Milena

Yes I have lost them before not from smileys but gone to get a link and then got back and had to retune. Now I get the link before and if more are needed I post them in a separate post.

It will be lovely if you and Kate meet up. Sad that I am so far away.

Hi Kate

I have some more links for you and anyone else that might be interested. These were given to me by someone on another thread. This is the 70s 80s and 90s thread. I thought I would make friends as if it takes me 20 years to reach target it is nice to know people……

So courtesy of Eirlys on that thread here they are:

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/538311/5-2-diet-meal-plans-what-to-eat-for-500-calorie-fast-days

and

http://www.allaboutyou.com/health/diet/diet-recipes-5-2-diet-2-day-diet

These are the type of foods that you don’t need to go out armed with a shopping list for things that you will only use once. Nice everyday foods.

Really good for people who are browsing if they are thinking about dipping their toe in the water.

Hope everybody had a good day.

I am out again for dinner tomorrow due to the bank holiday so I shall have to rearrange fast days.

Sun is meant to be peeping through tomorrow.

Ginette

Hi

Has anyone ever heard about vibration plates or used them. They sound so strange. I am just curious.

Ginette

Good morning ladies! Weigh day for me today and I have lost almost another pound, I am now 123.2, which is a tidgy bit over 8stone 11pounds! And that is after a naughty night last night.

We had thin pork steaks, pesto pasta (2 helpings as it wouldn’t all fit on the plate) and chopped tomato in olive oil, followed by cherries soaked in a little bit of red wine with ice cream, washed down by a bottle of Liria. Then we had crisps and 2 celebration chocolates while watching Downton Abbey (downloaded, not live) All SWTC, so worth the calories.

Fast day today, just enjoying my hot lemon and ginger. Liquids only tomorrow. Bring it on!!

Ginette, I’ve heard of vibration plates but never used them.

Kate Eve what a wonderful way to make a living, gardening, hope you get lots of sunshine.

Some of us ladies are on Facebook, it’s a great way to send private messages, share photos etc. If anyone wants to join us just see my profile. Ginette, maybe you could invite Sue?

Applepie

Congrats on your weight loss another lb off is amazing at your weight, you must feel wonderful.

I have weighed in this morning and have lost 2lb this week so am celebrating as well.

Hope everyone is O.k.

Audrey

Hi everyone,

Audrey and Applepie brilliant to hear about weightloss! what stars you are!
    So, I’m ‘fessin’ up to a bad FD w/e. I think I kind of knew it was foolish to do another FD at the weekend, I think I have 5:2 overload. I managed a back to back last w/e and for some reason it’s put me out of kilter for the whole week. I thought I could do another FD this weekend, as I was having to stay home doing marking, wrong! both FD’s were abandoned by 10am! I really dislike doing that as don’t want to give myself the option. Today back to normal, and am hoping my normal Tues FD mindset will take over tomorrow. I’ve done about 16 FD’s and have never had to struggle with giving up on it, so hopefully this is a glitch, I think I needed a break this weekend, but there we go, live and learn. Apart form some very silly food choices, yes I did eat 2 Freddo’s, I’ve been good on the (no) wine and loads of exercise…so will live to tell the tale, hopefully with no gain.

Ginette thanks for the links, very useful
    Milena glad you had a great meal, like the sound of changing holiday, I was going in June (far too soon for any semblage of swimsuit) so am changing it to end of August.

Good Morning All!

Seems like ages since I’ve posted here! So many new “faces”! I love it!

I returned home yesterday from 3 days with my sister. We had such a good time, eating, drinking and shopping! Ate too much, and spent too much $$ on new clothes. It was fun as I thought everything looked so cute on me! I got carried away. I still have 25 lbs I want to lose and am astonished that I think things look good on me at this weight.

I have started my “new” plan today. I am using a quick calorie counting app that will just keep track of how many calories are left in my day. I’m aiming for 1600 5 days a week and 500-800 2 days a week. Of course, I’ll be keeping up with boot camp and I’m going to start my run/walk program 2-3 days a week as well. I’m tired of faffing around with this down 5 lbs, up 5 lbs thing. I want the rest of this weight off now! I think my new clothes will still fit when I lose as they are tops and I’m already fairly thin across my shoulders. I just have lower body fat to lose now.

I’m off to the golf course in a couple hours to play in a tournament. Lots of steps on the pedometer today! A round of golf gets me around 14,000 steps. Not to mention up and down hills! OY!

Have a lovely day everyone!

Hi Lori

good to hear from you, goodness you sound like you have a real spring in your step. You have made me decide to get up and go for a walk (cat was a little off colour so I stayed up and worked until about 6 am).

Beldyboop, we shall have to keep each other company then, I know you will be hoping to be nearing your goal by August, if I can get into the 10st somethings by then I will be such a happy bunny, originally my target was 10st, so to even break into that number within 7 months will be spur me on.

I hope everyone is having a great day.

Life can suck sometimes and we all have problems, dark places where sometimes even hope doesn’t venture in. But there are places with brilliant light too, if they are hard to find, then we must realise they are there. We can sometimes light a candle ourselves, but there is always someone there, in the darkest corrners, to light it for us. We only need fo ask, and we will find the light, shining bright enough go keep the dark at bay. Remember to ask for the light when you need it and remember to be that light when you are called upon.

Travel hopefully

Lori welcome back,
    Milena great post.
    Beldyboop, have a better week this week stay strong

Have a good day everyone

Audrey

Afternoon.

Taking a break from my productive exercise…. digging in the garden. I suspect it’s going to hurt this evening!

Weekly weigh in this morning: 0.4lbs off. Minor miracle given that I only did one fast last week. On a Bank Holiday fast today and it’s going ok.I’m hoping that it’s true that exercising in a fasted state burns more fat!

Floyd (the cardiac cat) is doing fine at the moment although the little git gave me near heart failure myself this morning by disappearing for three hours.

Beldyboop: Hormones maybe? If you’re still subject to hormonal fluctuations, that can have an enormous effect on your ability to fast. Thanks to my HRT such hormonal fluctuations occur only every three months and when they do I don’t even try to fast….. I just let it happen and, I must confess, have a carb frenzy.

Milena: You ok?

Ginette: I’ve heard of vibration plates but never tried one.

Congratulations to all the losers, I hope to be joining your ranks again next week.

Onward and downward, ever in the moment, with my cat.

Hiya ladies..

Applepie, audry and Firehorse (even a o.4 lb loss counts) and all the losers.. really well done!

I decided to follow Applepie’s method of weighing in on Monday morning. I had a messy two days on the weekend, so I was expecting a disaster as I got on the scales. 88Kgs., so effectively, no weight loss since last week, but I am over the moon. I was expecting a gain of 1.5 kg or so because of all the buffets and dinners. In fact, Sunday, I gave up trying altogether. So, although there is no weight loss, I am very happy. This spurred me on to have a liquid fast day today (again, following the blazing trail of Applepie). So far so good. I will try to do a fast day tomorrow and maybe another one on Thursday to make up for last week.

I hadn’t really planned on doing a liquid fast day, but when the scales were kind, I thought, hell.. let’s do it.. and instead of my usual milky coffee had black coffee and have been sipping lemon and ginger teas all day. I feel a bit faint and there is no energy, but that may be because of the traveling and heavy work week last week. I am not sure what tomorrow brings, or even if I am going to be able to last the distance today, but my intentions are good. Does that count?

I love cats, and although I can’t have any because I am asthmatic and allergic to them, I do feel for the sick ones and their owners.

Lori, welcome back, we missed you but it is great that you had such a good time. There is nothing like sisters is there?

Milena. Your and Ginette’s FBD marathon is coming to a close. Are you guys thinking of doing it again? You sound a bit down.. I hope the sun shines soon obviating any need for candles. I can’t tell you what moods I get into. My house is full of candles.. only now they are not the edible kind. My own thing is to have a nice bubble bath with music on. Better than chocolate cake! Although, I have to admit to having a rather large chocolate ice cream with cream and nuts on Sunday.

Beldyboop.. This is the second time I do a back to back.. I am not completely sure it is for me (nor that I can actually do it.. we will know more tomorrow night) but I wanted to see how my bosy would react to it after messing up last week. I quite like that it works quite well for Applepie. She gets it over and done with at the beginning of the week and is losing weight nicely. However, we are all different, and it might not work for you or I. We can only tell by experimenting. Our bodies tell us what they like and what they don’t. I also think fasting on a weekend is really difficult and like setting ourselves up for failure. I would try to avoid it.

Good luck to all fasters.. I hope you are all UK lasses are having a great bank holiday.

Salma

Hi Apple pie

Dinner sounds lovely. I really love pesto as well. You had a good loss and if you lost this each week you would soon be at target.

I shall ask Sue, I am not sure if she is on Facebook though.

I know she will be reading the threads and I think will join after the first week.

Audrey has a vibration plate and uses it.

Hi Beldyboop

Ah….bad times just happen, put it behind you and climb back onto that horse. It seems that in this WOL we can also easily put it right…..so just carry on as before and all will be well. You know you are allowed chocolate. What a sad world when we are not…..freddos are only small.

I shall be eating chocolate next week that’s certain. I shall try not to overdo it though. It will be more than two freddos worth!!

As long as I lose 1lb first week back after FBD I shall be happy.

I would say good luck for this week, but I don’t think you need it. It was after two weeks like this that I joined FBD. They both involved chocolate in egg form!! What doesn’t beat you makes you stronger.

I like the way everybody is changing their holiday dates. If I went away in August it would be to so we’re cooler – the heat really affects me (probably due to blood pressure and being overweight).

Hi Lori

If I only had 25lbs to go I would think this as well. I’m glad you enjoyed the time with your sister.

You may be surprised and find you still lose. I was chatting to Milena on FBD thread last night. She said she still had a small child to lose….I think it is a bpvery small one, thinking back to the beginning, I had an adult to lose…….how shocking is that!!

Enjoy your golf, is it at a well known course? If it is a tournament one I may find it on my Wii game as there are lots of them all over the world.

Hi Salma

Well done – now you can build on that. You see you could do it. As long as we stay on this WOL it seems that odd occasions can crop up and not really affect us as much as they used to. It is a matter of balance I think.

Oh Salma….don’t talk about doing it again at least just yet!! At this moment I couldn’t even think about it. I shall be doing a b2b this week because of the bank holiday. I am determined to finish it well. Next week we’ll that’s another matter…….

On my weigh day Saturday, I am determined to have both feet in that 16 stone. I did notice I had one when I weighed Saturday. I have to have lost a lb to log it unless I need the 1/2 lb just to cheer myself along.

Enjoy the rest of your weekends All. I am going to but a large box of candles to light all those black spots in your weeks.

Me…..I just need all of you….you are my candles.

Ginette

Hello Everyone, and thank you all so much for your support and comments. First week was fantastic, lost 2.5lbs that felt good! Hubby has joined me but only doing 6:1 as wants the health benefits but not the weight loss. I do have one question. I go to a ladies gym 4 times a week and I’m doing 30 second intervals of cardio vascular and resistance for a total of 30 mins, does this constitute IHT training or should I start IHT as well?

What a fabby bunch of losers! Well done all.
    Hi Beelsy, I’m new and haven’t a clue but someone will come along and keep you right!

Fast day today (well – it was – I did last till 5pm then had a small green salad, because there was going to be an ‘accident’ otherwise, involving toast.) The previous fast days I haven’t eaten anything before tea time. I’m also premenstrual, sadly still dealing with that!

The fasting per se wasn’t too bad but I had a very sleepless night last night and some upset today.. I have an (adult) son who has mental health problems and well, you never stop being a mum… anyway, things are a bit better now. I’m not posting that looking for sympathy in any way (although you’re such a generous bunch) but I am pleased that I managed to stick to my plan, more or less, even without sleep which is very debilitating, isn’t it? I know some of you have issues with sleeping, sorry, can’t remember who atm.
    Anyway, on course for a light supper and then an early night I think!

Well done to all

Hi Kate,

Impressive that you have had reason to delve into the biscuit tin &/or toast and didn’t, particularly when you were upset. I know how difficult that is!

I am one of the people who has sleep issues; these are relatively recent and I have suffered with lack of sleep for a few months now. Yes, VERY debilitating. I have had to ask my doctor for sleeping tablets to manage.

I also fasted today.. liquid fast. Feel virtuous, but very hungry and am developing a headache. I think I will also go to bed in 30 minutes to stave off the hunger pangs. I will attempt another fast day tomorrow and be done with it for the week. Ah how I long for Wednesday.

Good night all.

Salma

Salma & Kate, you have my sympathy on the sleep front. I went through several months of not sleeping enough last year, getting on average 5hrs a night at one point…. My preferred amount is 7-7 1/2 although I can get by on 6 if I need to. One thing I would suggest is to note your body’s reaction to high GI foods (sugars,carbs). If you find yourself nodding off an hour or so after something sweet or, weirdly, after caffeine, your insulin sensitivity may be impaired….. Sleep deprivation can do that, as I found out last year.

Hi Firehorse..
    I am keeping to a low(ish) carb diet and keeping (more or less) away from sugar – sometimes more, sometimes less..
    No, I don’t think this is a food related reason. It started around 5 or 6 months ago. I think it may have something to do with the menopause.. I am peri-menopausal and my hormones are doing a jig every so often. I sleep 4 sometimes 5 hours of very disturbed sleep. I get up 4 or 5 times a night. I have had to resort to sleeping tablets for the first time in my life.
    Ain’t life fun when you are a woman!
    What is it about the link between insulin resistance and sleep? I have never heard that before.

Salma

Home from the golf tournament. No….it is not at a well known course. Just our little home town community course. I have made lots of good friends there and we have a great time. My partner and I didn’t do very well, some really good shots and some really shite shots! 😉 Ah well…..that’s golf! Over 15,000 steps on the pedometer!

I only have about 65 calories left for the rest of the day and it’s only 3PM. Hmmm…I may go over my 1600 a bit today, but not by much.

Back to boot camp tomorrow. It will, no doubt, nearly kill me!

Hugs all around!

Salma, just google “insulin resistance sleep deprivation”. Lots to choose from.

I went onto HRT in Nov 2013 at 47 when I realised I hadn’t slept properly for 2 1/2 years and I was utterly exhausted. I am aware of the increased breast cancer risk but felt that increasing the chance of BC from 1% to 1.6% was, under the circumstances, an acceptable risk. Weirdly I didn’t get the insulin resistance from that… or if I did I hadn’t noticed it. My sleep improved dramatically within a week of starting HRT.

Unfortunately my insulin resistance started from sleep deprivation after my husband died last year. It took a while to get back into something resembling a normal sleep pattern.

Hi people,

I have had a good fast day today even though it has been rather stressful with one Thing or another.

I hope everyone manages a good night’s sleep, for me I am having an early night then I can eat tomorrow!

Good luck to all faster and feasters

Audrey

Hiv Salma, headaches may be lack of salt, difficult to get sodium into your body on a liquid fast, mineral water seems to be better for me than tap water, and i lick salt off my fingers. Bovril or some equivalent may help.

Finding Melissa dream fine to help with sleep, but been sleeping well lately without it, sometimes you judt need to reset. 5 hours is a long night for me, I often, usually 3 or 4 times a month, work through the night. Always havhe done. If I get into a book, I just stay up and read to the end, I have 6 Bourne books to read and no spare time!!! I only have problems if I go go bed go sleep and I cant, whirring mind, and the melissa dream helps that.

Milena & Salma, I find half a vegetable stock cube in boiling water twice a day does the trick.

Thanks Milena and Firehorse. I had not thought about the salt! I am having an aha moment here.. I can’t find Bovril here, so maybe the half stock cube trick might work.
    I actually have had nothing but coffee and ginger lemon tea all day. I don’t think I would recommend this, but I was working on a report and the time just flew. I did not realise that it is now around 11 pm here and I have had nothing all day.
    May not fast tomorrow as feeling rather faint to be honest. We’ll see.
    Thanks of the tips.
    Salma

Viewing 50 posts - 1,251 through 1,300 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.