Mid-60s. Canadian. Monday & Thursday fasting. No excuses.

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid-60s. Canadian. Monday & Thursday fasting. No excuses.

This topic contains 361 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  grburgess 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 363 total)

• It’s great to have a place to check in to here. Thanks for sticking around, everyone!

CarolB, I stand in awe of you. I love family gatherings, and the more the merrier, but the most family I’ve ever actually cooked a dinner for was about 18, for a Christmas dinner once. That 18 included my ex-husband and his wife and his parents, as well as my then-partner and HIS parents. It was quite a day. Couldn’t have got through that one without some wine, but everyone was well fed and had a good time, I think. That was a long time ago, when my kids were still living at home.

I realized yesterday how much of my indulgent eating happens when I’m feeling sorry for myself. The twin babies were fussy yesterday and my grandson was being rebellious, and after six hours nonstop with them, by the time I got onto the subway my back was really aching and I was totally exhausted. I feel very sorry for my daughter-in-law (and son) who have to cope with it all every day, but I was also feeling sorry for myself. I didn’t want them to see it, so as soon as I got to the subway station I bought a package of M & Ms as a reward for myself. And as soon as I got home, I went straight to bed! I have suggested that next week, I take the three-year-old at my place and my d-in-l will just have the twins to manage at their place. Maybe divide and conquer will work better for both my daughter-in-law and me! (And at least there won’t be any M & Ms around for me to cave in to at the end of the day.)

Tomorrow is a fast day. I’m going out to a concert in the evening and grabbing a bite with my partner’s daughter. I’m aiming to find a chicken kabob and a salad or something equally lo-cal.

Have a great evening. It’s been cool today here in TO — hoping it’ll warm up again soon because Kathcan is right: it’s easier to stay motivated when it’s warm.

Hi Everyone, I agree with the motivation/sun – our winter in Australia and especially Queensland cannot compare in any way with northern USA/Canadian winters. I think I would be in a depressed state if I had to contend with a prolonged time in ‘grey’ winter weather. I always feel like eating carbs and comfort food in such circumstances, so good on you all who have this to contend with such an environment.

We have an elderly relative staying with us at the moment. She is to have surgery in Brisbane and is unable to manage at home, so is having some pre-operative support. I went to collect her yesterday and when I stopped for lunch, I overlooked putting my iPad in my bag, and didn’t realise until I was home, it was late, and then I remembered that I had my access codes/passwords taped to the back. I struggle to remember them all – needless to say, I have had a few anxious moments and have spent quite a deal of time changing passwords etc. The German Coffee Shop where I lunched had found it and are sending it back to me on registered post today, thank GOD is my response, what a gal that lady was, and she makes the BEST coffee!

I am trying very hard to maintain my diet, and I must own, I believe with limited success. Maybe it is the meds, maybe my love handles just love jiggling around and don’t want to leave, but I do wish for a stronger outcome. I will persevere but in saying that I must own, I have a drink in hand whilst engaging now. It has been a fast day (I think my drink will not bust the cals), and it has been difficult.

I too struggle with exhaustion and the grandchildren. Mine are all past the babe/toddler stage, thank heavens, not that you would wish our lives to pass so quickly, but I wonder how on earth I survived marriage, raised three children and all the attendant issues that brings forth, worked in a very demanding position, and managed to survive, miracles do happen, I guess I am proof of that. I am just so thankful that I have retired, the very thought of corporate life makes me ill. I understand perfectly the need for comfort food 🙂

Best to all, hope you at least are achieving your goals, Sandra

and Priariegrass, loved the potato bag jest 🙂

Just checking in. Sounds like your families really give you a work out sometimes!
    Hope everyone is well. Anne

I wrote a note this morning but the ethers gobbled it up.

It always amazes me how many caregiving responsibilities we have — raising kids (our own and others), helping with grandkids, and assisting aging relatives. We all deserve medals, but instead we settle for a piece of cake or something.

I’ve decided to have sushi tonight for my evening “fast day” meal. The Calorie Counter site says it’s only 50 cals per maki piece, and I had about 160 cals for breakfast, so 6 pieces should keep me under my limit.

To all of you, I hope that whatever is left of your day is peaceful.

Till soon.

Mary

Thought I’d pop in and say Hi! It’s a long weekend in Canada and there is even some sun. Monday’s a fast day for me, but I’m trying to keep the lid on my eating between now and then.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Fast day and a holiday, but I’m hanging in there. Looking forward to supper in two hours, even though it’s only going to have 300 cals.

Happy May 24th to my fellow Canadians!

Hi there

May I join your thread? I am fasting today and was browsing when your warm and supportive post popped up. I began fasting on 5:2 in January 2014 and reached my goal weight in July. During those six months I lost 17 kgs = 37 lbs and regained my waist (lost 19 cms).

I have dropped 3 clothing sizes and the best part of losing weight last year was to buy a lovely set of new clothes. It took me ages to give the old clothes to charity. In the end the old clothes looked like someone else’s. 😉

I am from Australia and in my 60s also, Sandi Ann, and we have family including grandchildren in Canada. Between us we have six grandchildren.

Mary, We have visited your lovely country many times, and been overwhelmed by the beauty of the Rockies, Lake Louise and the Icefields Parkway. We’ve also been to the Eastern part of Canada and loved the Cape Breton area. Canadians are so friendly and helpful, it’s a pleasure to visit.

On fast days I keep myself busy by doing housework, scrubbing floors, ironing, gardening etc. and talking on the 5:2 website. 😆 And I drink lots of water. What I have learnt NOT to do, is to cook for other days. When the aromas start, it is way harder to fast. I also try to play golf with friends, or go to the cinema. No eating with friends on fast days.

When I was losing weight, I gave up all alcohol, white foods, sugars, carbs, starches on my fast days. This seemed to trigger further weight loss. In general I tried to minimise all sugars and starches on any day while in the weight loss period. Once I reached goal weight, I chose to have a treat once or twice a week. However, what I notice is that my treats are way smaller. My OH and I share a treat instead of a piece each.

All the best on your journey.
    Cheers, Bay 🙂

I forgot to say that giving up alcohol, sugar and white foods gave me more energy. Once I was over the withdrawal, I had such a lot of energy. When I indulge in sugars and processed carbs, I feel tired and blah. Does anyone relate to that?

During my major weight loss period, I ate an egg for breakfast and fish or other lean protein and greens for dinner. I found that small amount of protein gave me enough energy to get through the day. Plus lots of water and homemade vegetable soup (no starches). Cheers, Bay 🙂

Wow, Bay!! Welcome! Your posts are a total inspiration to me. Thank you.

I gave up sugar for a long time and experienced the benefits you’ve mentioned, but I’ve let it creep back into my life (but not on fast days now). Maybe I’ll take another stab at eliminating it until I get to my goal weight. I haven’t had a drink since I was 50, but that had nothing to do with weight loss. 😉 In fact, when I quit drinking, I developed a taste for sweets that I’d never had before, and have gained weight fairly steadily since then. When I was on the no-sugar kick, I noticed how much sweeter fresh fruit tasted than it does when you have processed sugars (including juices) available.

I’ll read over your post again tomorrow. Lots of great info there. Heading off to bed now — it’s 25C here in Toronto. It’s been a beautiful weekend in SW Ontario, despite dire predictions for rain.

I made it through the fast day today even though it was a holiday and we had a last-minute, unexpected guest for dinner. I feel pleased with myself.

There are still fireworks going off now and then. I love them, but can’t see them from here. Do you celebrate Victoria Day in AU also?

Welcome to our thread!

And bon soir to the rest of you, wherever you may be.

Hi everyone and welcome Bay. It was interesting to hear of your experiences and success with 5:2.

Yes, it was a beautiful long weekend! My weight has been decreasing fairly steadily so I feel like I’m making progress. But I’ve had some stomach troubles the last couple of days, so haven’t been feeling much like eating. Today was a fast day and I spent most of the time working in the garden which kept me distracted.

I bought the 5:2 book and also, recently, the recipe book. I haven’t tried them yet but it helps to get ideas and examples. I find at this time of year, what I like the best for dinner on fast days is a couple of slices of chicken (I buy the BBQ-ed ones at the grocery store but don’t eat the skin) with a hard-boiled egg, salad and other veggies. For “desert” I have yogurt and/or berries. Easy to prepare and clean up. I like to give myself a break on fast days.

On non-fast days, I have been keeping away from sugar and bread as much as possible. When I make stir-fry (using the left over chicken from the night before), I serve the sauce separately for my husband and I have mine without sauce which I don’t mind. No more cookies or chocolate in the house! What worries me is if I get to a target weight, will I have to keep avoiding all the food I like so I don’t gain it back?

CarolB, I can’t imagine having to cook for so many people every week! I hope you are doing it because you enjoy it.

Sandi-Ann, I’m sure you will get there if you persevere. I think everyone has to find what works best for them and the pace of weight loss is not the same for everyone.

Prairiegrass, how are things going with you? ET64, PJBR, I look forward to hearing from you again too.

Tomorrow I know I will wake up feeling refreshed and happy to have made it through another fast day!

Hello Everyone, Thank you Kathcan for your encouragement. Yes, we are all our own selves and different. I must own that whilst my fast days are ok, I am presently struggling with the non-fast days. We have an elderly relative with us at present and I am bound by my care-giving responsibilities, dear me.

Another Aussie, and one so successful – Bay, wow! I don’t have sugars so that is a minor issue for me. I do have multi-grain bread in a sandwich for lunch on NF days.

At this time, alcohol is my vice as I find myself needing/desiring a glass of something at the end of the day, a wind-down tool/support I believe. I have removed quite a deal of starchy carbs from my diet, however in the last week more carbs have crept in, yikes. It is so easy for that to happen when you are distracted from the main game.

I will make some veggie soup for my lunches, love it. Have been opting for convenience in the last little while, and it is SO BORING……….

Best to everyone, Sandra

Hi everyone. Hope everybody is doing well. Today is a fast day for me…keep a good thought for me. My hubby is safely in Germany, so I hope to make some changes to me while he’s away. Reading all the stories here helps motivate me and feel connected to others on the same path. The sun is shining here and the world looks so green. Hope everyone has a good day. Anne

Another fast day here. I’m getting quite used to them! Tomorrow I will take an official weight to see how much I’ve lost. I’ve been weighing now and then, but it depends on the time of day and whether the weigh-in is right after a fast as to how much I’ve lost. I’m still not feeling like my clothes are looser, but that’s probably because I already wear loose clothes to hide my lumps!

I had one good between-fast day, but yesterday I got a bit out of control with a bag of M&Ms. As soon as I lose my focus and get tired, I cave. I am going to resolve to give up sugar on both fast- and non-fast days and that should help.

It’s also time to get back to a regular work-out routine. But for now I’m just pleased to have stuck with my original resolution — two fasts a week — for four weeks now!

Mary W, I saw a post of yours that hasn’t shown up here yet (at least for me). Good for you for making it through a month of fasts. Carol B. you feed a lot of people! I don’t know if I’m relieved or very envious of all that family togetherness! Hi and welcome to new folks ( barely even newer than me!).

Well done, Mary

It’s the habit that we all need to establish. You sound as if you’re going well.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Thanks for all the positive feedback! Anne, wishing you every success with the program between now and when your husband gets back! I find it’s easier sometimes to stick to things when there’s no one around. And Sandra, I can totally relate to how you’re feeling. It is hard to be old, and it is also very very hard to look after old people. I can imagine needing that drink at the end of the day… at least one! Good luck to you too.

Thanks, bayleafoz (great name).

It is now 8:30 at night. I’ve had my 500 cals and I am HUNGRY! However, it’s almost the end of the day. I’ll make it. (My SO and I are hooked on Netflix series. We’re watching The Fall right now, just starting season 2. Gillian Anderson is SOO different than she was on the X-Files. I don’t think about my stomach when we’re watching tv — which we only do at the end of the day for an hour or so. An episode and the news, and then we’re out cold.)

Till soon.

Mary

It’s my fast day today too. I know I started the same day as Mary so that means I’ve completed one month too!

I’m going through a stressful time with work right now, preparing for our annual meeting on June 12-14th. It won’t let up until after that date. I second the needing/desiring a glass of something at the end of the day.

I overdid it yesterday too, with extra drinks and a cheese dream while watching tv. We don’t have Netflix or HBO but we’ve found some older series at the library. First we watched all the “Damages” seasons which I really enjoyed. Now we are watching “Six Feet Under”. We’re on Season 3, and I’m totally addicted. It has a little more sex and swearing than I’d like but otherwise it’s great. It does help to have something to look forward to on Fast days, and non Fast days too. Has anyone seen these series?

I look forward to hearing about your progress, Prairiegrass, we are all rooting for you. And Bay, that’s amazing that you lost all that weight. Last week I discovered that none of my capris from last year fit which was really depressing. I bought some new ones but can’t wait to get back in my other clothes.

Looking forward to tomorrow – I feel so good when I wake up the morning after a Fast day!

I have been reading all your great posts. Is it ok to join in? It is so encouraging to find older women to chat to. I am 69 and sometimes wonder why I am still struggling with weight issues. I did think once upon a time that by now I would have got things sorted!
    I live in Wellington, New Zealand although originally from the UK. I have only one grandchild from my 3 children! She is 7 and we pick her up from school 4 days a week and help out in the school holidays. We love having her as she is so sweet and no trouble at all.

I was slim until my mid forties although like some of you I thought I was not. I lost 10kg (22lbs) last year before having a hip replacement by going on a very low cal diet. Since then all the weight has returned. So I am hoping that this is healthier and less drastic and that perhaps making it a way of life rather than a diet will be more successful.
    I began on Friday and the fast day was quite challenging. I have read that the first 4 weeks are the toughest – would you agree? I must confess I have tried this method before and failed but am determined this time. My weight is interfering with my life and preventing my doing things that I would like to do, so I must succeed. Don’t mind how long it takes.
    You are all quite inspiring!

Hi Everyone, just touching base, welcome Lenasoon, I too wonder why I am still struggling with weight issues. In a bygone era, a woman with a mature rounded figure was considered to be in her ‘silken years’, ever onwards, here we all are.

For myself, I guess the weight issues do play a part, but the bigger issues are related to overall health and getting myself off the corticosteroid drugs. I am following the diet regularly, struggle a little on the non-fast days, and have lost 2 kgs. In saying that, at least I am not expanding. I checked the side-effects of the drug today as I have started to have some other odd things creep into my existence, and lo and behold, there they are!! YIKES! AND I can say that weight gain IS a common side-effect, so I am feeling pretty good at my weight loss progress.

My daughter has been diagnosed with Graves Disease and has been having quite a struggle balancing her condition. She encouraged me to track down a video by Joe Cross called Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead (sounds dreadful). The first movie/documentary is on uTube free and Joe Cross features his journey on a juice fast with an aim to cure his auto-immune disease. He was successful in not only curing/limiting his disease but also in losing a lot of excess weight (how could he not???). He discusses his progress in taking ever smaller doses of a corticosteroid drug in the documentary, it is very tempting indeed. In any case, Mandy is trialling it and has had some success. I have decided since these additional issues have crept in, that when our guest moves onto Brisbane for her surgery, I am going to try it as an adjunct to this. After all, all I have to lose/limit is the disease and hence the drugs and some excess weight, what a hoot!!!

Anyway, I must own that I am/have become somewhat of a recluse, feeling quite imprisoned. I must also own that I am very much aware of some things to avoid if I am lucky enough to continue aging 🙂 Thank you all for the forum and your posts, it is quite a lifeline at present. Best, Sandra

Good morning everyone, and a big welcome to you Lenasoon. It’s Saturday morning. I successfully completed my Thursday fast and yesterday weighed myself. I am down 9 lbs since I started four weeks ago, which is good except that I lost the first six or seven pounds in the first week. I think my “bad” non-fast days are slowing me down but it’s hard, when there are stresses and the mind-set that “It’s a non-fast day so I can indulge myself a little.” The trick is to keep it to “a little”!

I still haven’t managed to cut out the sugar. Yesterday a.m. I had a doctor’s appt at 8:15. I had to take the subway and leave before I had time for breakfast. It was the first meal after the fast day so I was pretty hungry. I ate a cinnamon bun at Tim Horton’s, thinking that it didn’t look THAT big. But then I looked the nutritional info up online, and it was 410 calories! Nearly a whole fast-day of food gone in one bun! I was amazed when I looked at it like that. I hope I can keep that kind of thinking at the forefront or this is going to take a long time.

Like the rest of you I am doing this primarily for health reasons, but I am also looking forward to fitting into my smaller wardrobe, which I keep in a box in the basement. If everything is outdated and I don’t like it by the time I fit it, I don’t mind. But I don’t want to give it to Goodwill until I am making the choice based on fashion or appearance, rather than because I am to fat to fit into it!

P.S. I loved Six Feet Under!

P.S. to Lenasoon: I found the first three weeks of fasts to be the toughest, off and on. I’m getting pretty used to them now, although I did notice that I was hungrier than usual on Thursday. I was listening to an interview with a woman who was talking about sugar addiction, and sometimes I wonder if what I think of as “hunger” sometimes isn’t really just sugar withdrawal. Anyway, you get used to it after a few fasts, and you know you are going to live through it, and you know you are going to feel great at the end of the day when you have made it, and that makes it easier the next time. Good luck!

CarolB,
    Are not those chocolates the very best !!!!!!
    What would happen if they were hidden or frozen and then once a week you were to have one which you savour, focusing entirely one the act of eating it – a sort of reward for the week or for just being you?

Thanks for the welcome. I am so determined to do this properly this time. Have re read the book and find there is much I had forgotten such as that fasting may help
    Improve cognitive skils such as memory and the studies with mice that showed dementia was delayed.
    But yes like you MaryWW i would like to fit into my smaller clothes again too. Those readily available snacks with whopping calorie counts didn’t used to be available years ago. No wonder we are all so curvy! I just went to see “That Sugar Film” which Is worth seeing if you come across it. It motivated me to stop the treats, of which there have been far too many 🙂 but also fruit juices which are full of fructose.
    I am doing my second fast tomorrow, Monday.

I am doing my fast day tomorrow instead of Thursday because I am going out with an 80-year-old friend on Thursday for dinner and to a movie, and he is one of those people who would be aghast if I were to order what I can legally eat on a fast day. So I’m switching it in order to be sure I don’t let myself down on Thursday. I am thinking I might also fast on Friday. I have seen that some people around here do 3 fasts a week on a regular basis. I don’t want to do it regularly but maybe this week, since I am doing a Monday-Wednesday anyway. We’ll see.

I bought a FitBit to track my steps this week and I have been logging the food I ate today (a non-fast day) on the fit-bit dashboard. It’s no wonder the weight loss is going slowly. I ate over 2,000 calories and I barely indulged myself! On a more positive note, I got to the Y at last yesterday for the first time since my (minor) surgery a month ago, and I found that I can actually work out on a fast day without passing out. Which was a relief. 🙂 (If anyone else is using a FitBit, we can connect as FitBit friends as well as 5:2 supporters. I am MaryWW over there.

Onwards. Hope everyone else is doing well.

Hi Everyone. I actually-finally!- made it through a fast day yesterday. Yea. Wish I had done better today. But, at least progress. I am going to try 3 fasts this week also. I actually found the fast day easier than a moderate day today. I think maybe I’m an abstain-or-nothing person. Sandi-Ann, I understand wanting that glass of something…when I swear I’ll have one…then I want two…then I want food. I’m not hungry…I just want. I’ll try again tomorrow. Good luck everybody. I’m always so glad to see a post from any one of you…like having a friend “out there”.
    Anne

Hi! I live about 2 hours from Calgary Alberta near the US border. I just received my Fast Diet book in the mail today. I have not gone through it but decided to read about the diet online. I just had my 6th Lumbar Epidural this afternoon so I am very sore but I really need to lose a lot of weight so I need some advice and help. I have a large yard to take care of and I try to walk regularly. I am 78 years old. I hope this program will work for me.

Welcome faedawn! We’re glad to have you join in our posts. The women who post here give me encouragement to try and compassion to boot. Glad you’re here. Anne

MaryWWWriter I have a FitBit which was a birthday present from my daughter so i will try to connect to you. I also use My Fitness Pal to log what I plan to eat. It is very good at alerting me before I eat. I am finding this not too bad so far but I might start doing 3 days a week.

Anne! Congratulations on making it through the fast day! Every small step is an achievement, and I find that even when I’m not “good” on my non-fast days I’m still losing at least some weight. It’s just that I can see that I’d lose faster if I didn’t indulge myself between fasts, even though I’m not literally breaking the law. This is one of the reasons that this diet is working for me so far: even when you blow it completely on a non-fast day (a whole bag of M&Ms or a few drinks and food) you’re STILL sticking to the program as long as you have a good next fast day. Twice a week you get a whole new start, and you’re still losing a bit anyway.

But it is discouraging to lose slowly when you’re so good on your fast days, just because you blew it the next day. But I am seeing some of my thinking change — at least now I’m facing up to how many calories I’m eating on my non-fast days. But it’s hard. Like you, Anne, I’m an all or nothing person. I was able to give up cigarettes and alcohol completely 15 years ago, but diets have always been a problem because you can’t stop eating completely.

I also welcome you FaeDawn. A lumbar epidural sounds like a really agonizing thing to have to go through. Most of us on this thread are doing this program for health reasons as much as for appearance, so you’re welcome here! Keep us posted on your progress.

Lenasoon, if you have trouble connecting let me know and I’ll try from this end. I have no idea how to work that part of it, but one other person has already found me so I guess I’m findable. 🙂

It’s going to 26 here in Toronto, with late afternoon thunderstorms. I’m delighted to be able to take my computer and my coffee outside and work at the table on my small patio (we live in a townhouse). I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Well I started my first day with the 500 cal fast. This morning I had lost 3 lbs. This is not common for me lose that much in one day. I am so excited and I think I will do the 2nd day fast today. I am very encouraged by this program.

Way to go, FaeDawn!

I had a good loss the first week and then it slowed down, but if that happens don’t be discouraged.

I have lost about 10 lbs. in the first four weeks, but nothing for the past week or so. But this morning, for the first time, my SO noticed that I am looking slimmer. That was a great feeling! I’m beginning to notice it myself.

Onwards.

Hello Everyone

Delighted to see some fellow Canadians, not too many of us on this program yet. I’m from Montreal and would love to join the group. I have only started reading through the posts so far, but I was so taken with seeing fellow Canadians, I decided to ask to join right away. By the way, just call me DJ. I panicked when I was originally signing up and was told that DJ was already taken, hence all the numbers.

Yea for you, Faedawn! Good job. Welcome DJ! Really encouraging to read about your loss that even you are noticing, MaryW.

Wow, everyone is doing so well! And even going to 3 fast days! I don’t know if I’m ready for that but I also want to lose a bit faster. I’ve lost close to 10 lbs though, so I’m happy about that. I definitely get the abstain-or-nothing – or abstain-or-everything!

Hello and welcome to the new people that have joined us, Lenasoon (is that an anagram for “Lean soon”? That’s cute. Also faedawn and DJ, it’s amazing the length of the thread and people we have grown to. I like reading your posts.

The Fitbit sounds cool. MaryWW where did you get yours? I saw that Staples has them for $119,is that a good deal? I have to decide whether to spend that much and I know there are cheaper things of that sort. My sister-in-law told me about My Fitness Pal so I’ve been looking into that as well. Otherwise I just google whatever food I’m planning to check the calories.

Just have to make it through the evening, the hardest part. I will have Raspberry Zinger tea instead of sipping on wine.

I have finished my second day of fasting and my second day on the program. I cannot believe that I am not hungry today. I made some of the vegetable chili in the fast diet book and it was very good. I have been entering everything into the My Fitness Pal and it keeps me focused and on track. I have used it before and know that it is good to record every day. I went walking in the rain this morning ~ something I usually do not do but I am determined to get this weight off to become healthy and happier. It was great to have the puffiness leave me today. I love this program and love to read all about my Canadian friends and their successes. Let’s all do it together.. Thanks for your encouragement.

Welcome, DJ! Montreal is one of my favourite cities: and one of the reasons is all the great restaurants! Must be tough to live there if you’re trying to lose weight.

KathCan, I got my FitBit Flex at Indigo Books (go figure!) for about the same price as it is at Staples. I’m happy with it so far, although I started at 5,000 steps instead of 10,000 (the default) because I spend a lot of time sitting while I’m editing and writing, and some days I just don’t get enough exercise. I’ll gradually add more steps and set higher challenges for myself. I decided I’d rather succeed with a low goal at the beginning than to fail repeatedly. If you get one, let me know and we can be “FitBit” friends. I think that just involves the ability to cheer one another on and maybe to congratulate the other person if they hit their daily goal. You don’t share all your information: just the info you want to share (like daily steps).

FaeDawn, congratulations on getting out in the rain as well as on recording your food intake AND sticking to the fast days. That is fantastic! The thing I’ve noticed is that even after a month, now that my weight is beginning to visibly diminish, I am ALREADY feeling happier and healthier. We don’t have to get to our goals to get the emotional rewards.

Hi to you Anne, too and to everyone else on here! I am not sure if I’ll fast today or not: I’ve done two this week and it’s now noon and had 250 cals at breakfast. I may go through the afternoon without food (I’m getting my hair done). But then I’m meeting my SO for dinner and he feels a bit awkward eating tortellini alfredo when I’m eating a piece of celery (well, you know what I mean), so I may go slightly over my 500 daily cals. and have a real dinner. We’ll see.

Till soon.

Hi MaryW, Anne, CarolB, Kathcan, Sandra, PJBR, FaeDawn, Lenasoon and DJ. Hope I didn’t leave anyone out..this thread is growing!
    Kathcan, You wrote that everyone is doing so well…well, not exactly…I started out pretty well, lost 5 lbs on my first two weeks…then regained it all back. May was a super busy month, with some travel, which didn’t help. But even on days at home, I would start the fast day well, but give in to a glass of wine and a snack…at the end of the day, and then go over my fasting limit.
    However, true to our Canadian spirit, I begin again! Um, the first wee goal: to lose that 5 again. I know I need to pay better attention on the non- fast days, I am going to calorie count those days. I always feel better when I exercise also- good for you getting back to the Y Mary! and for losing 9 lbs, well done! I do yoga and exercise tapes and walk, 4-5 days a week.
    The toughest habit I have to break is wine at the end of the day. I will try to not to whine about giving it up, hehe. Sandra I can relate, though, I took care of my mum a good deal before she passed away, it can be very stressful.
    I have been reading all your posts, they are inspiring and helpful. CarolB I am in awe, losing 30 lbs is a great accomplishment! And congratulations Anne, for getting through your first days…it is not easy and I struggle as well.
    Did my “first” fast day again yesterday, no wine! And stuck to 500 calories.
    Good to be back, thank you all for your inspiration.

xo ET

Hi everyone. What great posts …so encouraging. I’m completing another fast day and yesterday I ate very “small”. Since I’m alone here right now, I threw out all the pasta (a big weakness for me) and poured out the remaining wine. So far, so good. In late afternoon I have really longed for that glass of wine, but it’s not available, so I just have to deal with it. Insomnia has always been a problem. Now with my hubby gone and eating much less, it’s worse. But, I feel better and some of the puffiness is gone (like faedawn mentioned). And I feel more positively toward myself. Hope everyone has a nice weekend! Anne

Hello All ET, I empathize. As I continue/pick up this plan it becomes obvious that connection with others is key. Keep on going on. I have joined a June Challenge to keep me honest, hoping to see good results. Come on fellow Canadians, lets push forwards together!

Hi there

Congratulations to all successful fasters. It takes a while for most of us to get into the habit of fasting and not undoing the good work the next day. If you can manage to limit each non fast day’s food to a maximum of your TDEE, then the weight loss will continue. TDEE can be calculated on this website at the top of the page.

I found the weight did not come off in a steady line. After the first 7 kgs it was steps and stairs. However, what did come off were the cm around the waist, upper arms, thighs, hips, shoulders and the back. Please make sure to take your measurements. It kept me motivated when the weight stayed the same. 😉

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Thanks for reminding me that I must take my measurements. Yes, I had company for lunch today and I did have more calories that I should.. My fast days were great and I loved the feeling of not being puffy. I want that back, so Monday I will fast again. I love this program.. I will succeed!!!

Hi Anne, DJ, Bay and Faedawn,
    Anne, Good for you for pouring out the wine, that is commitment! Sad though;) However being healthier and happier is more important! I find if I make a cup of tea instead that helps.
    Thank you, DJ for your support, and cheerleading. Is the June challenge here on the site? Keep us posted!
    Bay, thank you for reminding me about the TDEE…funny how information doesn’t always stick. If course that makes sense. I have been more careful over the weekend, and am planning a fast day on Monday- with no wine:) I will be sure to stay within my TDEE tomorrow. Need to re-read parts of the book.
    I am with you on Monday, Faedawn. Will check back in then.

xo ET

Hi all,
    Monday! So, my commitment this week: fast (500 calories) today and Thursday, and stay at or under my TDEE the other days. And MaryW, I like your plan to not weigh too often, I might try that, I am a rather obsessive scale watcher, which isn’t always helpful.

Onward! Good luck everyone this week!

xo ET

Good Monday morning to you all. It is fast day for me, and since I didn’t fast on Friday, it has now been five days. I’m not looking at the scale until tomorrow! I did try to be modest in my eating over the past few days, but I am going to start actually tracking the food I eat on my non fast days and aiming not to go over the TDEE. I am finding that I make healthier choices in restaurants already, but I am still indulging myself — especially mid-afternoon. Last week it was Peak Frean cookies.

I find that reading this forum is a great help. I keep picking up sentences that one person or another has said and repeating them during the day. The one I kept thinking of on the weekend was Bayleafoz saying that we need to get in the habit of fasting and “not undoing the good work the next day.”

Welcome back, ET64!

Kathcan, I forgot to mention that if you have arthritic fingers, you will have a very hard time getting the wrist band of the FitBit done up. Apparently it gets easier with time as the grooves wear in, but I’m having to have my SO snap me into it for the time being.

Have a great day everyone. I am really enjoying our little group! It’s so important to me to be able to drop in here and know I am not alone. BTW, if you want an inspiration, check out the “Over 60, sick and tired” thread and read Nama’s post on page 1. Like BayLeafOz she’s really made this work! 40 lbs and a lot of side benefits. I love success stories.

Let’s make that a mini-challenge for one week, ET64 — M & Thurs fast (500) and no more than TDEE on the other days.

Check in next Sunday night. (Although I’m sure I’ll be back here before then as well. 🙂 )

Anyone else in?

Perfect!

Yes, I am in for today but Thurs I have company coming for dinner so I will fast on Wed. I enjoy my fast days. I feel so much better. Good luck this week to all my Canadian friends.

Wow!!!!!!!! This thread has grown. I am so glad that there are so many Canadians doing this.
    What fine people you all seem to be and what a wonderful country we hail from! We have great beauty and strength here in this great northern country – great resources!
    Another great resource we have here in Canada is Dr Jason Fung. He is a resource for type 2 diabetics who want to reverse this disease and for individuals having difficulty losing weight. (I mention him as I want to help to get the word out that diabetes type 2 IS curable and he knows how)
    MaryWW, I am with you for this week. In fact I am attempting to do a longer fast starting today and I will likely need some support.

Yes, I am one that can tell you that diabetes can be cured as I was diabetic for 10 years but not any more… Diet and exercise is the key to it all — for me anyway.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 363 total)

You must be logged in to reply.