Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,551 through 3,600 (of 16,657 total)

• Ply I loved your post . Some great info there pal .

Wee xx

Lol Happynow I forgot about that .

It was quite nice actually . new type of jelly with a chew to it lol πŸ™‚ . Much better as a drink or in soup lol πŸ™‚

Wee xx

Amazon brilliant thank you exactly the information this forum rocks my world and blows my mind daily πŸ˜†
    Learn from yesterday live for today hope for tomorrow the important thing is not stop questioning..
    Peace
    RT

RT … I like your way of thinking pal …onwards and downwards

Wee xx

Hi all – just popping my head around the door to wish Jojo a good week in Spain despite the sad news. I’ve been a bit tied up over the past couple of days as my poor old Mum isn’t well again.

Thank you for your kind comments about the dogs, Aussie, that’s really interesting about raspberry cordial, I’ve never heard of that for dogs! We have certainly been using the rice and chicken, which is our regular standby for upset tums. Other than that, they are still on the same food that they have always had.

Amazon – the vet thinks, as you suggest that they could be passing a bug back and forth to each other. We spent a cheery morning yesterday photographing various poos before collecting them up and taking to the vet to be sent away for analysis. The things we do for our pets….! The dogs were both given injections and it will be 10 days or so before we get the results, but the vet said they are so bright and in such good condition, that he doesn’t think it’s anything sinister, which made us feel much better.

I love the sound of the chowder – definitely on my ‘To Make” list! And well done on that fantastic weight loss!

PVE – how fantastic buying a size 10 blouse! It sounds gorgeous. I’ve been a size 10 twice in my life, both times for about two weeks, at that wonderful moment when you hit your target weight, just before it all piles back on again! I know that with this WOL none of us will go through that again. PVE – your size 10s are here to stay!

I’ve got a Paperwhite, which I love. I did have one of the original Kindles, but when one of our dogs, Milly, was about 6 months old, she developed a taste for literature and tried to eat it…..

NickyF – I do hope you’re feeling better. Colds are miserable things. Look after yourself, and no doubt you’re getting plenty of TLC from your OH.

I will post more when I get chance. Very tired now, and we’re taking 6 yr old Godson out tomorrow, so that’s likely to be a long day!

Good night/morning all

Smiffy x

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm#benefits

Let’s just say , I’ve been a courier for 20+ years
    The first 3 years I believe I listened to enough rock, country,rap,pop and symphonic music for a lifeti es worth. I started listening to NPR, BBC,. Many Interview that I would get some insights on . Then go home and get on Wikipedia to get a better understanding.

FYI. Fasting give the immune system the break it needs to fight the common cold.
    Zinc. Helps cold symptoms as to not become deficient.
    Saline solution orally and nasally to slow the symptoms in nasal and throat.
    And exercise .

However the influenza is not the common cold.
    IMO death from influenza should be in the avoidable death statistics.
    Also with fasting and exercise , and what is eaten should be anti inflammatory.

My family members always roll their eyes when I give the zinc and ask if they want to do jumping jacks when they have the cold. They say no and I roll my eyes. Gargle salt water rolling eyes.

But their colds go on for 7-9 days. My colds only 4 days.
    I believe my cold duration is due to slowing the infection by causing osmosis in the nose and throat with salt water. There by giving the white blood cells less infection to fight.
    That was explained to me by my high school biology teacher during his lesson on osmosis.

So what I’m saying is death flu related issues can be avoided, but also colds can be less harmful as well.
    By shorting the duration of the cold is less stress on the heart.

I go further. By using the saline nasal solution 1 time a week during winter .
    In 2004. I didn’t have a single case of cold or flu. In contrast to 1989 when I was a smoking and drinking and took no preventative measures I suffered cold or flu 11 times that year.

There are some other measures that can be taken with vitamin c and PH therapy .
    But the zinc, saltwater , the fasting and exercise is my flu season approach.

Smiffy
    I take issue with the piles back on comment!

Just being silly though. I truly believe this woe is possible to not pile it back on.

A person at goal weight. Should be able to go back on 5:2 for 2-3 months when they find themselves 3-5 lbs over goal.

Robert W. Service Poem
    Carry On!
    It’s easy to fight when everything’s right,
    And you’re mad with the thrill and the glory;
    It’s easy to cheer when victory’s near,
    And wallow in fields that are gory.
    It’s a different song when everything’s wrong.
    When you’re feeling infernally mortal;
    When it’s ten against one, and hope there is none,
    Buck up, little soldier, and chortle:

Carry on! Carry on!
    There isn’t much punch in your blow.
    You’re glaring and staring and hitting out blind;
    You’re muddy and bloody, but never mind.
    Carry on! Carry on!
    You haven’t the ghost of a show.
    It’s looking like death, but while you’ve a breath,
    Carry on, my son! Carry on!

And so in the strife of the battle of life
    It’s easy to fight when you’re winning;
    It’s easy to slave, and starve and be brave,
    When the dawn of success is beginning.
    But the man who can meet despair and defeat
    With a cheer, there’s a man of God’s choosing;
    The man who can fight to Heaven’s own height
    Is the man who can fight when he’s losing.

Carry on! Carry on!
    Things never were looming so black.
    But show that you haven’t a cowardly streak,
    And though you’re unlucky you never are weak.
    Carry on! Carry on!
    Brace up for another attack.
    It’s looking like hell, but – you never can tell;
    Carry on, old man! Carry on!

There are some who drift out in the deserts of doubt,
    And some who in brutishness wallow;
    There are others, I know, who in piety go
    Because of a Heaven to follow.
    But to labor with zest, and to give of your best,
    For the sweetness and joy of the giving;
    To help folks along with a hand and a song;
    Why, there’s the real sunshine of living.

Carry on! Carry on!
    Fight the good fight and true;
    Believe in you mission, greet life with a cheer;
    There’s big work to do, and that’s why you are here.
    Carry on! Carry on!
    Let the world be the better for you;
    And at last when you die, let this be your cry:
    Carry on, my soul! Carry on!

Robert W. Service
    Carry On!

It’s easy to fight when everything’s right,
    And you’re mad with the thrill and the glory;
    It’s easy to cheer when victory’s near,
    And wallow in fields that are gory.
    It’s a different song when everything’s wrong.
    When you’re feeling infernally mortal;
    When it’s ten against one, and hope there is none,
    Buck up, little soldier, and chortle:

Carry on! Carry on!
    There isn’t much punch in your blow.
    You’re glaring and staring and hitting out blind;
    You’re muddy and bloody, but never mind.
    Carry on! Carry on!
    You haven’t the ghost of a show.
    It’s looking like death, but while you’ve a breath,
    Carry on, my son! Carry on!

And so in the strife of the battle of life
    It’s easy to fight when you’re winning;
    It’s easy to slave, and starve and be brave,
    When the dawn of success is beginning.
    But the man who can meet despair and defeat
    With a cheer, there’s a man of God’s choosing;
    The man who can fight to Heaven’s own height
    Is the man who can fight when he’s losing.

Carry on! Carry on!
    Things never were looming so black.
    But show that you haven’t a cowardly streak,
    And though you’re unlucky you never are weak.
    Carry on! Carry on!
    Brace up for another attack.
    It’s looking like hell, but – you never can tell;
    Carry on, old man! Carry on!

There are some who drift out in the deserts of doubt,
    And some who in brutishness wallow;
    There are others, I know, who in piety go
    Because of a Heaven to follow.
    But to labor with zest, and to give of your best,
    For the sweetness and joy of the giving;
    To help folks along with a hand and a song;
    Why, there’s the real sunshine of living.

Carry on! Carry on!
    Fight the good fight and true;
    Believe in you mission, greet life with a cheer;
    There’s big work to do, and that’s why you are here.
    Carry on! Carry on!
    Let the world be the better for you;
    And at last when you die, let this be your cry:
    Carry on, my soul! Carry on!

Hi all.
    Just enjoyed a fast day lunch of Miso soup, found some in an Asian grocers with only 21 cals! I prefer to save allowance for dinner time as I find once I eat, I feel much hungrier thru the day. Coffee, water and a miso is fine and I get much more done on fast days.

Hermajtomomi your cat sounds wonderful! We had one called Eliza yrs ago who also had regal pretensions, she drew blood from many unsuspecting people. Sadly tho (as she was deaf) she ran straight under the car one morning as my husband was reversing out, Karma maybe?

Weemam I made the mistake of buying Sri Lankan curry powder at an Indian grocers.. It’s lasting a long time as it is so hot I can’t use much! My last job (Neonatal Hospital in the Home) I visited many Indian and Asian babies and sometimes I would be coughing from the spicy ‘fumes’ from the curries being cooked by grandma!

Amazon I am with you and get really annoyed when ppl say they have the Flu when it’s obviously just a cold. I had my first flu shot when I turned 60, previously just relied on Vit C to boost the immune system. I worked on a paediatric medical ward for years and in winter the snot would be flying, so I took a slow release 1gram/day to avoid catching anything.

SAMM your comments on the link b/w cardiac deaths and the Flu is really interesting, never knew that. I will line up again for one next winter now! I agree with your enjoyment of the radio. I have one in most rooms and learn so much from our ABC, just have to turn off when the cooking ppl start and am fasting.

Bayleafoz I am enjoying planting veggies at present too! Still picking silver beet from winter, it goes in everything. I have just learned about “wicking garden beds” from a permaculture friend and have asked my husband to build one so we can leave it in the warm weather. They have a reservoir underneath and the water wicks up somehow to the plant roots… Needs more research! I haven’t seen a snake in our Melbourne garden but we are close to the river in Jamieson (our country place) and seen several there. Deadly brown snakes, don’t go out without boots at night in summer!

Apologies for long post, I am known to be a chatterbox and there is always so much interesting stuff to comment on on this thread!

Morning/evening all.

Lots of interesting posts to read as usual.

SAMM, thanks for the poem, very apt for us to all to Carry on Carry on.
    Also for this time of year and this year in particular with the commemoration of the 100 year anniversary of the end of World War 1 heading towards Remembrance Day. I think you call it Veterans Day?

Have a good day/evening everyone πŸ™‚

Is this the Marie Celeste?

Weemam

avoid electrostatic air filters as they complicate asthma via ozone is syptomatic.

3400 calorie is 1 lb

3 lb via diet is malnutrition
    but you can loose as much as can muster and there are way too many survival issues with giving a specific calorie rate in extreme activity. We humans can burn as much as 50lbs an hour. But thats so unlikely its absurd. Theyre are no set points.
    and if anyone say there is amd can prove it im a ll ears.

the standard typicsl metabolism is 3400 calories equals a lb.

U can lose more than 2 lb pet week but it’ll tske more tha diet and exercise. Like pills or surgery.

Ill stick with 1 1/14 lb food restiction and 2000 calories exeersice. I know the body building forums have the specific s. Will post later

not feeling well just wanted to check in

Amazon yoohoo !!!! I am here been out with Dad and just going to have more soup lol .. SAMM loved the poem pal and thanks for all the information

Wee xx

Amazon,

The maintenance thread is similarly deserted. I suspect alien abduction πŸ™‚

Hi Weemam. It’s my 3rd FD this week. I’ve just had a very hot black bean chilli with some steamed veg.
    I went for a haircut today, and my hairdresser was rendered speechless when I took my jacket off. He couldn’t believe how much weight I’ve lost. I felt 10 feet tall, and I still do πŸ˜›

Hi everyone,

It is seriously weird, as it is on the maintenance thread. Quick reply to everyone.

SAMM, thank you for the beautiful poem, particularly poignant at this time of this year. Thanks also for dropping by when you aren’t feeling great. Get well soon.

Nama, you have a very neat turn of phrase, the vision of ‘flying snot’ is very evocative. πŸ™‚

weemam, enjoy your soup and save a bit for me – as long as it isn’t straight tomato.

Having said that, Amazon, your roasted veg soup is fairly tomato-y but there are enough other flavours to ensure the toms won’t be too predominant. It’s certainly going to be on the menu one of these next fast days.
    Congratulations on wowing your hairdresser. With the spectacular weight loss and a new haircut, you’ll be unstoppable. Those Cubans had better beware of ‘la guapa inglesa’ πŸ™‚

Happy, I haven’t re-read Animal Farm recently but I seem to remember that Napoleon is a nasty piece of work – thinks: where have I heard that phrase before? πŸ˜‰ – and definitely not my kind of pig. It’s like saying you like small boys or cats or curries, but every now and then one turns up that you judge to be best avoided.

Alien abduction………………….EEK!
    Maybe the aliens are suffering from an epidemic of obesity and they need some help πŸ™‚

It wasn’t just my hairdresser that was surprised, One of his staff left at the beginning of last year and has just started working for him again.
    She said “you look fantastic, really really good” She lost a lot of weight about three years ago,20 kilos I think, and has kept it off, so she knows what it takes. These things make one feel so good. I was really hungry at that point and thinking about giving up the idea of fasting today, and her comment strengthened my resolve and I’ve stuck with it. Everywhere I looked today people were shovelling food into their mouths, I was glad to get home πŸ˜†

hermaj, I don’t remember the soup tasting strongly of tomato, but it is a long time since I’ve made it. I’ve been looking out recipes that will fill me up and provided comfort on cold days, and I think it’ll fit the bill.

Didn’t Napoleon say ” all pigs are equal, but some are more equal than others” It’s a very long time since I read the book so I could be wrong.

Hiya Amazon . doing back to back yesterday and today . soup is brilliant , bought more veg today . Bought a big bag of frozen veg ,a bit of a cheat but saves time .

Well done with the compliments . you have worked hard for it so ENJOY :).

I had Dad out today again and all the staff call out ” how much have you lost now” Head won’t get through the door in a wee while lol . Don’t you think that the compliments are what keep us going sometimes ? The Secretary in the care home is going to look up 5.2 on the computer tonight xx

Amazon just saw your last post and I see you agree . Compliments DO help so much .

My OH doesn’t like mushrooms so I had the full put to myself today and it came is less than 300 calories . just the job for a day like today :).

I hope Jojo is having a great time . Thanks all of you for the posts here all of us are so positive …Love it . Have a great day/night everyone .

Just had another jelly and this time just lime with NO added marigold bullion lol

Wee xx

I bought 2 butternut squash today in Aldi at only 69p each . I was thinking of making chips by putting a wee bit oil in a bag and shaking them about in it . Do I cook it first? any ideas of the temp ? (halogen oven). Any other suggestions welcome πŸ™‚ .

Wee xx

I’ve made chips in the oven with sweet potato, and I usually put them in my fan oven at 180C for 30 minutes or so. It depends how small or large you cut them. You can always stick a sharp knife in one of them after 25 minutes and see how they’re doing.
    I don’t pre cook them.

Amazon ..thanks pal I will try that . I am really looking forward to it > I thought I would make them quite thick … less oil used

Wee xx

I make one portion of oven chips with one teaspoon of oil. I put the chips on a non stick tray, drizzle it over and use my hands to make sure they all get covered.

Hello South Aussies (Nicky Emel and Aussie Oma) Hello Victoria (Nama) Hello ACT (Bay) Hello NSW (PVE) and Hello World (You know Who you Are) πŸ˜†

Happy Friday fast friends I am feeling alittle bit creative today (master chef style) I did see this on Australian TV and think bugger it why not….step aside jamie oliver the rouge trader is in the kitchen..

http://caloriecount.about.com/jamie-oliver-veggie-korma-mock-recipe-r1510261

weigh in tomorrow

peace love and happiness people
    RT

Good morning fellow fasters. Lovely morning here albeit overcast. Well after last week’s disaster I’ve pulled myself back in line.

Weight loss this week of 1.4kg (in reality 0.6kg as I’d put on 0.8kg last week)and a total of 3cm lost over the four measuring points.

What a lovely response Amazon, you must feel a million dollars … woo hoo compliments flying everywhere.

Wee that’s wonderful that you’re inspiring others to at least look at things, not dismissing them out of hand πŸ˜€

SAMM loved the poem and the other info you’ve given πŸ™‚

Hermaj I hope the soup is to your taste, myself I love a nice tomato soup, home made, using fresh fruits etc. Mind you mine also comes with little tiny (or should I say wee) meatballs, nicely spiced (my grandies like my meatballs better than the Jamie Oliver recipe ones – they say his are “disgusting” lol) and fresh herbs and a handful of angelhair egg noodles (a handful in approx 20L of soup as I only make it once a year and have loads in the freezer for the rest of the year).

Time to go get organised for today. I’ll pop back in later if I get time before work πŸ˜€ if I don’t I hope you all have a losing (as in weight/size) day/night πŸ˜†

RT looks like we were posting at the same time … how bizarre that we both mentioned the same person πŸ˜†

Ausie Oma ….. I love wee meatballs lol

Wee xx

Hey aussie i have just walked home from an early morning bargain hunt at the local woolies and they are all deck out in their Halloween gear perhaps its that influence on us today very freaky don’t you know… 😈
    RT

Hermaj,

Re: small boys, and every now and then one turns up that’s best avoided. No, that would apply to all small boys…!

Amazon,

Great news on the confidence boosting compliments. Looking good inside and out πŸ™‚

Hi Amazon,I’ll give your sweet potato oven chips a go, they sound good.

RT, hope you don’t mind poms sharing your recipe discoveries. πŸ™‚ It so happens I bought a caulie today, so I’ll probably try Jamie’s recipe out in the next few days. I’ve bookmarked the page, as it looks as though there is a lot more interesting stuff to try.

Oma, I make pretty good meatballs, too. I also occasionally buy small Swedish-type ones ready made. When I talk about tomato soup, I think it’s the impression left my some of the ready-made out of a tin stuff, which I find as disgusting as your grandies find JO’s meatballs. Homemade is another story, but I still don’t like the toms to be the predominant flavour.

Happy, you are probably right about small boys who tend to be right little ‘erberts but for reasons I’ve never quite understood I fell madly in love with my great nephew, now aged five-and-a-half, from the moment he was born. I fully acknowledge he can sometimes be a wee bugger. His elder brother wasn’t a nice little boy and for some reason he regarded me with deep suspicion.
    Everything changed when he got to age 10, when he suddenly decided Hermaj was ‘cool’. And at 15, he ticks all the right boxes and we get on brilliantly.

Congratulations Amazon and others. Well done with the compliments. πŸ™‚ you deserve them as does Weemam and every other loser this thread.

Re the earlier posts about no comments on weight loss. I found a very good reason that people are reluctant to comment on weight loss. A lovely lady who has seen me at the golf club told me I looked fit and well a couple of days ago. I responded that I was very well and very happy that I had lost weight.

She commented that it is always difficult to know whether a rapid weight loss at our age is caused by cancer or not. So she hadn’t commented earlier. πŸ˜†

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

Herm please of course you have the green light to mix and match for sure sharing is caring im just spreading the love πŸ˜‰ I have the complete set of his books and there are some gems to uncover he has 2 shows on oz tv a week Tuesday and Thursday night channel 10 it smells amazing ok Dinner is now taken care of !!…. it will be 32deg here i SA today i am off on a walk in the nature park..
    RT

Me thinks me be a bit disorganized in me thought today’s.
    Tired very tired , and foggy.
    Here what I was trying to put together , but too tired to put time into editing and referencing.

So it’s mostly opinion . Take it or leave it, my apologies

——

Rouge
    Burning fat during exercise will not amoutto a significant amount unless say you are running for 18 hours straight. Β Even then it’s nealy impossible to keep that pace up for months.
    Β The best approach is Β to maximize muscle mass and while it rests . It may call Β for fat fuel, if there is a dietary restriction.

So if Β I build more muscle. , I’ll be increasing my metabolism Β over the 24 hour period. So my BMR is increased. Β  Is why so many bodybuilders are lean.

5:2 is just the opposite putting calorie restriction in the range of calling for fat stores to be released into the blood, but not long enough to start burning protein.

There are many other extremes , sush as breing extremely over weight and working out with compound movements for 6 plus hours. Β Then a diet that is designed to carry out fat through soluble fiber. Β But that’s not a long term solution or way of life.Β 

The 3lb of fat Β is in my opinion unhealthy , and may point to other metabolism issues associated with illness. Yet Β not impossible to get the body Β accustomed to burning it’s own fat fuel, regularly fasting and it will simply use whats readily available. Β Hence ADF Β would be more likely to accustomed the body to switch from dietary Β calories. To resources from within.Β 
    I highly recommend keeping up a constant supply of fat soluble vegtables in the digestive tract though.

IMOΒ 
    1lb is doable on 5:2
    2lb is doable with ADFΒ 
    3lb is doable with ADF , high protein diet with extreme exercise . Not recommended.Β 

It would be less stressful Β to approach fat loss with strength training for 1 year and then use ADF and with HIIT on feed days.

But for the masses of people that cannot exercise . Β The simple calorie restriction approach of 5:2 Β with TDEE on feed days will result in long term weight management of fat loss at a rate of 3000 calories of fat a week.
    Just a little less than 1lb

So for the 2lb approach . 4:3 with a give lifestyle. May fall just short of2lb.
    It may be nessasary to Β increase muscle mass first , then move on to the 2lb a week rate.

Strength training is easier than you might think. Β It just takes time and strenuous effort, but the science is solidly proven. And cardio is not the same as strength training. Β IMO if you are able do strength training you may not need fasting anyhow!

But there lies the damage!
    Increased muscle mass does not increase longevity. However calorie restriction does seem to. Additionally. Visceral fat is bad ! It may become nessasary to approach athlete fat ratios to eliminate the visceral fat then return to a long term healthy Β diet Β that can afford 4:3 with HIIT and or highly active NEAT there after.

These are just my opinions though, I know many will disagree.

Tips For Building Muscle

Use compound exercises that recruit maximal muscle fibers. Save the isolation exercises for when you have a solid foundation. Read here to see why compound exercises are the key to building muscle.
    Focus on getting stronger.
    Eat a carbohydrate and protein dense meal post-workout.
    Allow at least 48 hours between intense workouts for recovery.

Β Here are 10 muscle recovery tips for improved performance.
    Use free weights. Machines are fine, but free weights are where the gold is.
    Drink enough water. Stay fully hydrated. Read why drinking water is the secret to fat loss.
    Eat. If you’re not at least eating maintenance calories, it’s going to be hard to put on muscle.
    Focus on quality nutrition, and not just calories and macronutrients. Nutrient density is key. Here are 100 healthy foods you can eat.
    Sleep at least 8 hours a night.
    Train your legs. Don’t be a beach bodybuilder (ie only train chest and arms).

Β 
    Get under the bar and squat. Read here for instruction on doing the perfect squat.
    Eat the majority of your calories around your workout.
    Eat shortly after your workout to maximize muscle glycogen storage.
    Eat enough protein. Aim for at least .6-.8 grams/lb of lean body mass to maintain protein synthesis.
    Periodize your workouts. Create structure out of variation to continue getting stronger. Read more about incorporating periodization.
    Eat your essential fatty acids (EFAs). Fish oil is your friend. Read 33 health benefits of omega-3 fatty acids.
    Be consistent with your exercise and nutrition. Don’t skip days.
    Make sure you’re getting stronger from workout to workout. Add weight, reps, or reduce rest periods.
    Lift with intensity. Read these 9 reasons you should increase your exercise intensity.
    Get under the bar and squat. Did I already say that?
    Lift heavy.
    Be patient. If you put on .5lbs of muscle a week, you’re doing amazing.
    Keep a training journal. You need to know the weight and reps you’re trying to beat.
    Don’t just wing your workouts. Have a plan before you get to the gym.
    Keep a food journal.
    Utilize active recovery. Read more about improving performance by incorporating active recovery.
    Be realistic. We all have our genetic limits. However, chances are, your limits are further away than you think!
    Supplements are not necessary, but fish oil, protein powders, and vitamins won’t hurt.
    Train to failure. This is debatable, but used sparingly, the results don’t lie.
    There’s no need for gender specific workouts. Muscle is muscle.
    Get under the bar and squatΒ 
    Take body fat measurements so you can track your lean body mass gains.Β 

Here are 10 great ways to track your progress.
    Take before and after progress pictures so you can see if your training program is on the right track.

Β 
    Limit cardio. If you want some cardiovascular training, up the intensity of your workouts. Read more about how much cardio you should do to lose weight.
    Implement dynamic stretching to improve performance.
    Give your body a reason to grow. Don’t let it adapt.
    Use exercises like the bench press, squat, deadlift, rows, and variations thereof.
    Give your central nervous system a break too. Several back to back days of intense lifting can burn you out.
    Take a week off every few months for complete recovery of your muscle, tendons, joints, and mind.
    Get a workout partner if you need a little extra push.
    Optimize your natural hormones (testosterone, growth hormone, IGF-1) with short but intense workouts. Read more about how to boost growth hormone for better muscle gains and fat loss.
    Eat solid food. Protein shakes are fine, but they aren’t replacements for real food.
    Time your carbs or implement carbohydrate cycling to keep fat gain minimal. Read more about how to implement nutrient timing.
    Educate yourself. If you’re reading this, you’re on the right path. Read everything you can about fitness.
    Have fun with your workouts. If you don’t enjoy them, you won’t stick with them.
    Make pre-workout nutrition just as much of a priority as your post-workout nutrition. Fuel your workouts.
    As a beginner, use 2-3 full body workouts a week. Turn that into a split with more recovery as your experience level advances.
    Don’t be afraid to eat at night. Weight gain occurs as a result of excess calories, not from eating after 7pm.
    Use proper form. Exercise your muscles and not your ego.
    Last but not least, get under the bar and squat!

Thank you matrika for sharing too…
    I used to be unwilling with the flu vaccine too. Until my family gave it to a relative with cancer and they passed away two weeks later. I never will forget the strain it put on family ties, and is why I bring it up every October no matter which forum I happen to be participating in. This year it is my wife with the dreaded cancer.
    I keep pointing to the issues with heart /protein intake , that she didn’t get vaccinated prior to chemotherapy. I dislike very much just having to cross my fingers!
    The rest my family either got the shot or can just wait till spring as far as I’m concerned.

Many moons ago I was telling a doctor about an experiment they did in the 1950s where they sealed 16 men and women in a chamber , and filled it with 80% and adjusting down to 20% humidity and kept adjusting the temperature from hypothermia levels to levels perfect for influenza to thrive
    After 14 days no was I’ll.

The doctor corrected me !
    He said of course not ! If the virus isn’t present no one can get I’ll from it. However he said.
    If It were present. The colder temps would have lowered the immune response time and could have been a possible tragic outcome. I never his point especially when I saw it play out on my relative.

It’s the the congestion in the lungs. Lowers oxygen content , forcing the heart to work harder. To get to normal level of oxygren.
    So it’s not just influenza. But also the congestion with the common cold too!
    Is why I use zinc to minimize my recovery time! Zinc is how I tie the flu risk with fasting.
    Zinc cannot be made or stored by human function. So we must ingest it. While fasting it may very easy to over look zinc as something to strive to eat.
    Here’s a link to the foods with most zinc in them decending.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000124000000000000000-w.html

And on that list is pumpkin seeds
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3182/2

Also
    Dr hiemlich
    Also has once said the hiemlich maneuver should be practiced on patients after recovering from the flu. To expel the thicker plem in the lungs that lowers oxgen for much longer than the common symptoms seem to have went away! Something to think about ?

Thanks SAMM your analytical and investigative skill set is the envy of ALL on the forum here !! is it a fair assumption that it is yourself and I that are male?? I havn’t been here for as long as you but based on what Ive seen its my guess that we are hope you are recharged and re set to go again.
    Cheers RT

Hermaj we get Italian meatballs ready made here … I prefer to make my own so I know exactly what’s in them, particularly now, as I find the ready made ones very, VERY fatty. When I get them I cook them without any added fat and then drain around 1/3 to 1/2 cup of fat out before I can take it to the next stage and by then they’re about 1/2 the size they were to start with, whereas mine are still 4/5 the size by the time they’re cooked as I use very lean mince.

Samm a font of knowledge once again, thank you. RT you’re right you and Samm are both males πŸ˜€ .

Off to dinner tonight … it’s the one day of the week where I let myself eat anything I want however I find that now I can not eat as much as I used to (I eat about half) but make sure I can have my one treat for the week … chocolate sundae (no nuts).

We’re taking our friend to dinner tonight and after the meal we’re going to a Halloween market for a while … hope we don’t get spooked too much πŸ˜†

I find that when I am out of circulation for a few days, there are so many threads to read. I am back on track with ADF.
    A few amusing side comments about weight loss. We flew with Ryanair the other day.
    No longer do I spill over to the other seat and slim OH is so happy to have a full seat for himself! I could pick up my cabin bag (10kg) and get up the steps and be at the UK border post as fast as any of the young people.
    I managed to get some bleach stupidly on my clothes when packing and had to leave them at home. Instead I bought some new jeans yesterday in Size 16. They are a bit small, but wearable in a week or so.
    The funny thing is after my FD 6 day holiday, I was so happy to start again.
    Thanks for all the good advice. I would love to comment on Kindles and meatballs, and get into discussion with Samm, but left that a bit late.
    BTW, Samm, 200lbs by Thanksgiving- how is that going? I don’t know as I have no scales, but certainly, the clothes feel looser.
    Happy Halloween and Happy fasting!

Aussie O you a cheeky cheezel just checked and 😯 yep aussie made beef cake πŸ˜‰
    Enjoy a night off and a night out
    We Love Life
    Peace
    RT

Morning/evening all.

RT, I like many of Jamie Oliver’s recipes as they tend to be modern twists on classics from all over the world, combined with new ideas, but he does get a bit carried away on occasion. I like his simple recipes best.
    I’ve been cooking Indian food regularly for over 30 years, since an Aussie friend cooked us all a meal and I loved the cauliflower curry she made so much she bought me the recipe book, and had written in it the additions she had made to the recipe. It was by Madhur Jaffrey, the goddess of Indian cooking, and I made many of the dishes in it and fell in love with Indian food in the process. The book fell apart and was stuck together with tape and covered in spices. They eventually reprinted it so I replaced it, and I still use it a lot. Indian food is very satisfying when you aren’t eating much as it is so complex with layers of flavour, and I always have some kind of veggie curry in the freezer in 350 calorie portions.
    I roast and grind my spices, I have an elderly coffee grinder that works perfectly, and when I went to South India a couple of years ago, I came home with a huge bag of spices that cost a fraction of what I would pay here. The other thing about “curry” is that it tastes even better the following day πŸ™‚
    Happy cooking!

😈

Yum.. Aloo Gobi a big favourite in this house! Love the combo of cauliflower and potato.
    Hermaj, so glad you enjoyed my description of snotty kids.. A compliment coming from a wordsmith such as yourself. I don’t miss those busy winter shifts …. Bronchiolitis, cystic fibrosis, asthma … Miserable little munchkins wall to wall, with sleep deprived and anxious parents!
    I hope jojo is having a great trip, and especially hope she has wifi and is keeping watch over us all from afar! She would be pleased that I went for a lovely 4km walk this morning, around the “Tan” …. A lovely path around the perimeter of the Melbourne Botanical Gardens. Yummy Mummy’s everywhere in their Lycra, pushing trendy babies in trendy strollers, but they didn’t intimidate me! Then on to the market to stock up on fruit and veg without even stopping for a coffee! Very warm in Melbourne today, just watered the garden to make sure the predicted rain arrives.. Murphy is alive and well around here.
    Cheers all. Anne.

tanga, I too have noticed that there is more room on bus, train and plane seats. It puts into perspective how much smaller you are, rather than looking at the number of lbs/kgs lost, or being pleased about a pair of trousers falling down!

We were talking a week or so ago about how taking a break from fasting is a good thing. It was after Jojo returned from her yoga trip I think. What I find interesting is that everyone seems to get back into the routine without problems, and actually enjoys it! I put off starting again for several months after a two month holiday because I thought it would be tough. If only I had known. The hindsight rule strikes again.

It is a lovely sunny day here, 21C which is ridiculous for 31st October πŸ˜†
    I’ve had to force myself to do some housework as the sunshine was highlighting all the dust.

I’m fasting again today, and I’m going to make a huge veggie curry, with lentils or chick peas, and a pot of soup πŸ˜›

Hi tangatawiwi, hi Amazon,

Even at my largest, I always fitted neatly into an aircraft seat. No credit to me, though. My porkiness is front to back rather than side to side. On my first-ever Trans-Atlantic flight, I sat next to a very large lady. A very nice person but, sadly, she took up a third of my seat and had terminal halitosis. As a result, I flew from London to Boston at an angle of 45 degrees. Fortunately I had an aisle seat so there was room to lean. The following day I had stomach pains, but soon realised they were external rather than internal, i.e. muscle strain from sitting at a weird angle for several hours on end.

I’m also a curry fan, Amazon, and it’s great to find that, with a little bit of thought, a curry can be part of a fast-day menu.

Every now and then we have a small family gathering at which I and my teenage great-nephew cook together. We try to produce an ‘ethnic’ menu, our first one was Spanish and we later produced an Indian one. Through my niece-in-law – his mum – we are now part of an extended family with a large branch in India. Her late dad was Indian and he always cooked Chana Daal for visitors, so we followed his recipe. Also on the menu was “Delhi Aunties’ Aloo Gobi”, a recipe scribbled down during a family visit to India. The only problem with ‘family’ recipes is that they often don’t give quantities, e.g. some of this, a bit of that, etc, so a few calculations were needed before we started.

Nama, thanks for the “wordsmith” compliment. You’re no mean wordsmith yourself. πŸ™‚ I guess it’s a result of my job as a freelance translator specialising in Arts & Media, which means a very large percentage of my work is for publication or broadcast and has to read or sound as though it was written in English in the first place rather than translated from another language.

I spent yesterday evening watching a DVD of Oranges and Sunshine, a brilliant Anglo-Australian co-production telling the true story of how, in the 50s and right up until the 70s, the British government, quite scandalously, sent kids from UK children’s homes by the boatload to Australia, often to be cared for by religious orders who treated them as slave labour.

Most of these children had at least one living parent – often a young mum who gave birth out of wedlock whose baby had been “confiscated” by the social services and placed in an a residential home. Decades later, a British social worker set out to help the children – many now in their 40s and 50s or older – “to find out who we really are” as many of them put it. She succeeded in some cases in reuniting them with parents or siblings. Her campaign continues. Beautifully acted, very moving, sometimes upsetting, and well worth watching. I assume it will have done the rounds of cinemas Down Under.

I’ve just made a huge vat of mixed veg and lentil curry, four huge portions at 325 calories each.
    I’ve also made a squash, pepper, garlic and tomato soup. I roasted a whole head of garlic along with everything else. Once again four portion, this time at 110 calories each. That’ll keep the ghosts and ghouls at bay tonight 😈

Hi Oma,

I agree about ready-made meatballs but I have found the Swedish ones to be good and not full of fat as many are. Even so, I nearly always make my own, my favourite ones being a Greek version containing mint and lemon juice which is a good substitute for the ouzo in the original recipe.

I also make my own burgers using very lean mince. This is an interesting one from the New York Times. The quantity of meat is somewhat excessive so you would probably want to make your own adjustments but the flavour is great. Also you can maybe forget the bun and serve the burger on a bed of salad leaves.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/16/dining/161prex.html?_r=0

hermaj, that recipe looks very good. Thanks for posting it.
    I don’t like burger buns, and am happy to have a burger with some good relish and a salad. A friend of mine makes the best burgers I’ve ever eaten, and he always uses minced steak so less fat, and adds fresh tarragon along with whatever else he puts in.

It isn’t doing me any good discussing food on a FD. I must have a masochistic streak πŸ˜†

Dear Hermaj
    You had me laughing so much that tears were running out of my eyes. You are a story-teller par excellence!
    You would understand the need to get to the UK border fast if you were an undesirable alien as I am. You meet all of the old British Commonwealth all waiting for hours for Hermaj(the other) to allow them in to the UK. No madame, you cannot benefit from the British social security. Why are you here? Where are you going next? It is irrelevant whether your OH is British or not. They are only happy when I pull out my French permanent residents’ card. “Eh bien, Madame, en tant que frog, vous Γͺtes la bienvenue”. You know when a plane load of French kiwis arrive at Stansted. After they turn off the engines you can still hear the whining!

A few laughs on a fast day do a lot of good;

Yes, Amazon, the pleasure of the falling pants. Much amusement for OH as I dug in the compost.

Good Fasting to all.

I meant to say earlier that sweet potato fries were on menus everywhere when I was in Australia at the start of the year, and I’ve noticed them on menus here too. They make a nice change from the humble spud, but the latter is my chip of choice!

I’ve hardly stopped today, and not yet found time for some exercise. I’ll need to remedy that before I have my soup and curry.

Just came in to say hello to everyone . I was making more soup today and noticed what I thought was curry powder was actually chill so YES the soup was/is hot . fairly clears out the sinuses lol πŸ™‚

Did BTB the last 2 day and still seem the same weight but i am doing another tomorrow or Sunday . Have a great day/night everyone .

Happy Halloween although we don’t bother now all the kids and grandkids are all grown up .

Wee xx

Oh wee, your adventures with the chili powder remind me of an incident yonks ago involving my brother and his brand new wife, already a good cook but with little experience of curry and how much or how little curry powder should be used.

In a perfectly reputable recipe book, there was a misprint. It called for 2 tbsp of curry powder when it should have been 2 tsp. My bruv likes it hot – he belongs to that generation of young guys who competed with each other to see who could down the hottest curry – but even he couldn’t cope with it.

Hi tangatawiwi,

I too have been an “undesirable alien” – in Switzerland. I hope I’m not offending anyone Swiss posting here, but the Swiss, or at least the German Swiss, are even worse than some of us Brits with our xenophobia and racism.

Like so many Brits of reasonable intelligence I’m not xenophobic which makes me a traitor in the eyes of some of the older generation. I know my dad never forgave me for being good at languages.

As a family, including my nephew’s beautiful half-Indian wife, we often wonder how he would have reacted to her joining us. He may not have been impressed by the fact that she is a scientist – ‘not women’s work, you know’ – but she might have got some grudging approval for being a good athlete. My first husband was half-Spanish, half-Welsh, but with his olive skin and black hair he could have been Middle Eastern or from the Sub-Continent and my father was always very hostile towards him, although my mum absolutely adored him.

Because I’m short and dark, while living in Zurich, I was often assumed to be a Turkish guest-worker of whom there were many. Back in the 80s they were very meanly and unfairly regarded as second-class citizens, to be shouted at by the native Swiss. My tall blonde Scottish friend never had these problems.

I once managed to get round a hostile, anti-foreigner neighbour by pulling my ‘graduate of a prestigious university’ card and revealing I had read, in German, some of the books on her shelves. A bit of snobbery can go a long way with some people.

You can imagine how delighted I was when flying from Zurich to London with a plane-load of Swiss, when I saw all of them, apart from me, having to pass through immigration. And I know it’s naughty to say so, but I was even more delighted to see that the immigration officer with the power to send them packing just happened to be Asian.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,551 through 3,600 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.