Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,451 through 1,500 (of 16,657 total)

• Good morning FastTrackers,
    Still in bed, would you believe it? This retirement lark is great. Course I have been up, made breakfast, let the dogs out but then decided to go back and finish my book. Why not? I am resting this month, no excessive exercise, just some swimming and yoga.

Ply – the Pilates class was not a success, my hip joint was just not up to many of the strong hold positions. I will try another one later when I am not in so much pain.

Scales have been kind today, only 1/2 pound down but under the magical stone marker even though on painkillers which is great because I know it must be less due to fluid retention associated with these. On my way down now, no more yoyo-ing for me. Seeing the consultant tomorrow night – finally, hopefully he will help by giving me a steroid injection. SAMM – I will stock up on tinned cherries today- thanks. The birds kindly ate all the cherries on my tree in the garden, they obviously appreciate the health benefits too.

Today I am packing up all my big clothes for the charity shop, they no longer have a home here. I have also decided to get all new underwear(sorry SAMM-girl talk), baggy pants are just so annoying under clothing. Hopefully the new set will fit in a small drawer rather than the large one they currently occupy. It’s a turning point!

Weemam – I know the feeling of losing weight and reducing inches, it’s rejuvenating for sure, well done on 17 pounds. Enjoy your trip super gran!

How is everyone else doing? Please post your statistics as we have lots of new posters.

I am down 4 stone with four to go. I have dropped from size 24 to generous size 16’s. Aim 10 stone by next September 2015 when age 60, short term goal – 2 stone by .Christmas. Size goal 12. Last time I was this size was 30 years ago.

Good morning, fast trackers! Nice to see all the new contributors! I am staying off the scales, so no weight stats to post, but I just measured my waist. Drumroll, please…29 inches, down 10 full inches from my start. The only other place I measured, sadly, was my neck, and even that is down 1 1/2 inches. Who knew I had a chubby neck?? I only wish I had measured arms, thighs, calves, chest, and hips! Newbies, I suggest you do so. The progress in getting smaller all over can mitigate any disappointment from the scales.
    Sorry to hear that Pilates didn’t work, Jojo. I am debating going to class this morning. Two classes within 15 hours might be too much, but I am a slave to the schedule at the gym! Have fun buying new undies! They are so uncomfortable when too big!
    Thanks, as always, for the food and health information, SAMM! Kidney beans all by themselves do not sound very appealing, but a bean salad could work. KOKO!

Ply,
    Well done you – 10 inches off around your waist, that’s brilliant. Goodbye visceral fat hello healthy life style.
    I am off to track down my tape measure right now – wish me luck
    Don’t over do it, learn from my example, I have aggravated my hip through too much walking etc. be kind to your body please.
    Still in bed, I feel like the Queen – teehee

Thank you for your inspiration this morning ladies – just what I need. 2nd Fast day of the week today and no problem so far. I think being busy is the key for me.
    I went back to my favourite Zumba class last night I love it so much but to be honest I’m not really fit enough. The instructor is an ex professional dancer and most of the girls who go are my daughters ages. The music is loud and the energy is fantastic, I’m easily bored and don’t like repetative routines at an easy pace. I concentrate so hard trying to keep up that I don’t notice how hard I’m working. There is a great inclusive do your own thing attitude and before I know it I’m ‘channelling my inner Beyonce’ lol. Slightly sore this morning but not too bad so hopefully the knees will hold up especially if the ‘load’ reduces.
    Fingers crossed for my weigh in tomorrow I’m hoping to lose 2lb to make a nice round stone – (I saw a tv show this week about weight loss and they had a butcher there with 2lb of pure fat – its a BIG lump of yuck) I’m keeping that in mind!

Woohoo, Tartanlass, I can see you shimmying in your sequins now! I, too, enjoy being distracted from exercise, which is why I prefer group activities and running with friends. I catch up on TV shows when I do my morning workout.

Afternoon Ladies and gent if you are there SAMM,
    Well the guilt eventually caught up with me and I hauled myself out of bed. I have been very busy since making curried squash soup, enough to last a month for me and my daughter, she can take it to work with her. Tomorrow I am making carrot and lentil for alternating days. I find soup a real life saver, I like to keep my fridge and freezer well stocked. I also keep some ww soup in my cupboard as a back up, never fails to hit the spot keeping hunger at bay.
    Well now measurements – you win Ply (gold star to you) I only lost 9 inches off my waist, neck 1 inch, bust 2 ins, hips 5 1/2, upper thigh 4 ins and calf 2 ins. This is from Jan this year so can be attributed to fasting. 3 of the 4 stone has been lost since Jan, the other stone I lost in the two months preceeding. I must get my measurement from last year from the gym – their report didn’t give measurements just body fat percentage which was over 50 %, must get a reading now! my scales will show that if I can remember how to set it up.

Tartanlass – good luck with that first stone, give it some welly on that dance floor girl. Age is not a barrier to fitness if you have no medical problems. Just enjoy it.

Sunny here today so I must get out with the dogs, just a short stroll then some shopping. Must get some nice salad bits. Feeling very positive and energised today, life is good.

Afternoon all.

Second fast day of the week. I got up early and went shopping as I needed a few groceries and decided I would treat myself to some sushi for dinner. The pack I chose has 380 calories so I bought a couple of beautiful fresh figs and am going to have one with some yoghurt and agave nectar for dessert.
    I promised myself that I wouldn’t get on the scales until the 31st but I couldn’t resist. I’ve lost 5lb since 11th August so I’m very pleased with myself.
    I happened to go past two of my favourite clothes shops today so went in both for a browse around. I came home with three new tops. My excuse is that I need smaller clothes. I can’t find my tape measure so I’ve no idea what my measurements are, so I’m going to go by how my clothes fit. When I originally started the 5:2 plan last year I was a size 18-20 and am now a 14-16. Like Jojo I’m aiming for a 12 which is a 30 year old memory.
    Everyone on this thread is so positive and encouraging to each other. It is so nice to read the comments.
    I’ve worked out today too and am just starting to feel hungry so I think it is time to try some of the green tea I bought this morning.

Hi Jojo and everyone – although I always follow this thread, I don’t often post – but there have been such a lot of positive posts on here today I feel rather inspired 🙂 Jojo you never stop even when you are in pain – you so deserve to lose weight quickly!

I’m doing 2 back to back fast days this week due to Bank Holiday Monday (I usually do Mon & Weds). Today (day 2) I have felt starving – and in fact I have just had a snack on arriving home from work which is not like me at all. It’s dancing night tonight (ballroom & Latin) but I have a strong suspicion my husband will bail out as I know he’s not been feeling well and went to work late this morning. Must try to eat a very small tea, now I’ve just scoffed some raw carrot & hummus!

Overall after a year I am down 2 stone 5.5 lbs with a stone to go to get to mid-range ‘normal’ BMI. I have dropped from size 18 tops and 16 bottoms to around 14/12 (although still occasionally 16/14). My original impetus when I started was preparing for a total hip replacement, which I had in January this year. I’d lost 1.5 stone at the time of the op and a (much slower) further stone (almost) since. My short term goal is to lose a further 3.5lb to drop under 11 stone by the time I go on holiday on 12th September. And I’d love to get to goal by Christmas!

Cath x

Hello Cathyork,
    Great to hear from you, I am sure we have chatted before, possibly on the LOACA thread. I am very impressed with your weight loss especially as you have been through an operation.

I am happy to say that I am very proud of the people on this thread. We have our goals, all achievable and realistic. Most importantly we help each other and offer positive support.

I think it is very easy to find excuses for weight gain but at the end of the day ‘what we put in our mouth is our own choice’ sometimes we are weak and sometimes we are strong. I think fighting this battle together is helpful, a trouble shared is halved (old saying but so true).

I was feeling down about failing to lose weight in July and August but then Ply told me she was in the same boat. I immediately felt better, not alone, we both have very busy social lives during the summer and have now accepted that we need to work harder at other times.

I actually don’t have much faith in exercise for weight loss, I have always been very active and done sports. However I do think it helps tone your muscles and can be great fun, especially dance and team sports( I love badminton).

I have had a three course dinner tonight, all healthy, small portions. Homemade squash soup, 1/4 small spinach quiche with veg and berries with creme fraiche. Yum

Hi Amazon,
    Well done on losing 5 lbs, you will be at goal before you know it.
    Keep track of calories and keep on track.
    Most of us on this thread are low carb and very limited on sugar intake, this will make long term maintenance easier.

iT IS ALMOST MIDNIGHT BUT i JUST WANTED TO DO A QUICK POST.

i HAVE READ A LOT ABOUT PEOPLE NOT LOOSING WEIGHT AND GETTING REALLY DOWN ABOUT IT .
    WHEN I LOST MY WEIGHT A FEW YEARS AGO ( MAM AND DAD BOTH HAD/HAVE ALZHEIMERS.
    AND WHEN MAM PASSED AWAY I PUT SOME BACK ON ) ANYWAY I USED TO STALL FOR 6 WEEKS AT A TIME but EACH TIME i WOULD GO DOWN ANOTHER DRESS SIZE .
    Oops ss caps . On 5.2 I have lost 17 pounds but again I see more inches lost than weight . I lost 5 stone at that time .

I am just trying to say …please don’t think because you are stalling weight wise that you are NOT loosing inches .

Sorry about the Caps . hands too sore with RA to retype this again .

Wee xx

Did someone say HUMMUS!

OMG!

I stuff mini sweet peppers with hummus made from red kidney beans spiked with chilli seasonings and turmeric .

Talk about healthy deli sous and very vitamin and mineral dense lunch. I could eat 50 but stick to eight stuffed peppers as try to limit all meals under 500 calories..,
    Love readingthe posts today wish I could praise you all personally.

KEEP ON KEEPIN ON

SAMM, you crack me up. Either your posts are full of scientific info, or a quick shot of enthusiasm! Either way, always welcome.
    Catchy York, welcome and congrats on your weight loss. Your goal is attainable!
    Jojo, your dinner sounds delish. I just finished some garlic & rosemary lamb chops with a side of zucchini noodles. Yum! I bought a pair of hot-pink shorts tonight…we could be twins across the pond!
    I invested in a new hobby tonight. I bought a gigantic dollhouse from a virtual yard sale site that needs some sprucing up and total decorating of the inside. I didn’t like girly stuff much when I was little, maybe due to being surrounded by 4 brothers and almost exclusively boy neighbors, and by the time I wanted to play with dolls I was too old. I have 2 sons, so none of those girly impulses were satisfied there. Perhaps a granddaughter? In any case, I am quite excited about this project, which will be very long term. The three-story, mansard-roof house is wired for electricity and has working windows, a two-story porch, and beautiful staircases inside. Not the most active hobby, but I find crafts very relaxing and stress-relieving, which can only be good.
    Good night, fast trackers!

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-154-rosemary.aspx?activeingredientid=154&activeingredientname=rosemary

rosemary
    its my understanding that it is the only food that negate burnt foods issues. So if you like those black lines on ckicken or steak when grilling.
    You may not know that those burnt particles are toxic.

however it my understanding that rosemary has an effect on those particled. Sorry for not referencing better.

this has been a hard fasy day for me. Cant wait to go to work and eat during break. Chicken legs in bbq and lemon water

Hello all

Back from a lovely week in Wales. Rather indulgent – a meal out, an Indian takeaway, friends in for lunch and an M & S Dine In For Two – plus quite a few glasses of wine! I did however manage a FD while we were away, and have just done a Back2Back. Got on the scales this morning and was amazed to find 2lbs off! I’m now just another 2lbs off my second stone. I couldn’t be more thrilled. We did do lots of long walks with the dogs , which must have helped. OH has lost a pound and is also just a couple of pounds from his two stone loss.

Can’t get complacent though – quite a few more social things coming up over the weekend, starting with afternoon tea with champagne this afternoon – a treat from himself, so looking forward to that, especially as we are going in our old MG, which we can finally fit back into!

I haven’t caught up on all the recent posts, but a quick glance indicates that everyone is doing really well. What a lovely determined bunch.

Hermaj – I’m happy to have a go at setting up a new thread, but wonder if we really need it. Everyone is so nice on this one – and of course if JoJo is happy for us to stay – but if you think we should have another thread for us oldies, then let me know. What do our other senior posters think?

Have a great day all, whether it’s fast or feast.

Smiffy x

Good morning fast trackers,

Hello Smithy, sounds like a wonderful holiday. I have been to Chester only(an Aunt lived there) but I would really like to explore Wales more. It’s sad that I have seen more of Europe than the UK. My problem is that I am a sun worshiper, I am always happier when somewhere is bathed I n brightness. I feel the same about people, surrounding myself in positive bright friends and avoiding negative moaners. I find Yoga students on the whole a great source of wellness and spiritually uplifting that’s why I have an annual yoga holiday. I return bright eyed and bushy tailed physically and mentally.

As for age on this thread I appreciate the ‘young ones comment’ but I am 58( admittedly going on 18) in outlook. Please stay everyone we need as much support as we can get from our 60 + friends. Weemam is our most successful 2 lb a week threaders at the moment and she is a mature 72( 27 at heart).

Good news everyone another half a pound off even though it was a feed day yesterday and I have cut my exercise to a minimum(1/3 of usual steps – 5000). This is helping my hip, slept well last night without painkillers( hooray). Seeing a Doctor tonight, can’t wait. I really, really miss my daily walking, badminton and ballroom fitness. Now the question is ‘am I now losing because I have cut exercise or because I didn’t take painkillers yesterday’ probably a bit of both. I swear the body holds on to fat if you do a lot of exercise.

SAMM – I am just eating my porridge with black cherries, blueberries and raspberries – not bad! Thanks honey – I did know about the toxic black on cooked meat, I told my husband but it hasn’t stopped him decimating all meat on the BBQ. I will ensure it’s got plenty of rosemary in marinade in future.

Ply- what a wonderful project- a dolls house. I have a local shop here called that which sells both modern and old fashioned versions with furniture. Let me know if you need a special item – literally they do everything in miniature. It was my favourite pastime as a child, I had a double fronted Victorian mansion with battery lights and lots of furniture and people. My mother made the clothes and my dad made the furniture( he was a carpenter) it was incredible. I spend half my life using it and creating pretend worlds. Interestly I still remember that it was a world dominated by women, the leader being called June. This probably reflected my feeling about equality even then, my brothers always had special privileges, a different time.

As for the hot pink shorts, I hope you find they lift your spirits, the jeans I bought definately do mine. Why have I avoided this colour for years? Too girly? It’s a mystery – actually it might be a snobbish or ageist issue. It’s time to rethink my wardrobe.

How about we all have a hot pink day on the last day of each month? Are you up for it SAMM? Teehee

Weemam, I know why I stalled weight honey, no excuses – too many meals out and far too many lattes but thanks for trying to make me feel better. You are my heroine, keep up the good work, I am on your heels now.

Have a great day everyone – more sorting out for me plus rehearsal of ‘All that Jazz song and dance routine’ – Charleston – whoopee! Get my bowler hat today.

Come on girls why don’t we paint the town – and all that jazz! Keep it upbeat all.

Ply,
    Is a virtual yard sale, Ebay?
    I have to admit to being an addict to buying second hand goods on line, actually I buy quite a lot of new goods too. I only really like to shop in one store locally. Tk Max seems to have quite a lot of original designs at reasonable prices although most of my friends hate the prospect of going through lots of rail. I find it quite relaxing.
    I do keep to a budget though – I know it can be a problem – I allow myself £30 per month. Also for every new item in I put an old unused item in the charity shop, it’s not a big flat, I need to have space around me, not keen on clutter. My wardrobes are still seriously overloaded because there are four sizes in there, working through it slowly, some I will take in others need to go. It’s so difficult with some favourite items but it has to be done.

Hi Smiffy,

Glad you had such a good holiday and that the well-deserved indulgences did no harm, as your scales confirm. Even if they had, you may have found, as I have, that the results of holiday naughtiness tend to disappear after a week, or at worst two weeks, once you are back on the straight and narrow.

I agree, there’s no need to set up another thread. We “asylum seekers” have been made so welcome here. The Maintainance Chatbox posters have also been kind enough to let me join them, despite the fact that I don’t really qualify as, strictly speaking, maintainers are supposed to have reached target weight. I’ve still a third of my journey to go. And of course, we can all post on any thread that we find interesting.

I definitely don’t like the idea of a special LOMY (ladies of mature years) thread. Being older than God but still in there pitching, I seriously believe that it’s a bad idea for “seniors” – how I hate that word 🙁 – to ghettoise themselves in real life and on a forum such as this.

A story about the late great moggy Tomomi, from whom I take my “handle”, is a good illustration. In the year or so leading up to the demise of her twin sister at the age of 15, the two “pensioner pusses” sat around all day, usually curled up together, only stirring themselves when food was in the offing. A feline equivalent of sitting in front of daytime telly munching Hobnobs, which is the fate that some who should know better – including policy-makers and the media, especially the Beeb – imagine for anyone over 60 or so.

However, when her twin disappeared, Moms (as she was commonly called) took on a new lease of life, becoming distinctly kittenish, hurtling round the flat, skidding joyously on the laminate floor and generally keeping busy. Only towards the middle of her final year did she slow down and generally start to wear out, before quietly popping her clogs a few days after her 21st birthday.

Hello hermajtomomi,
    My dogs are both deemed elderly by vets and others alike due to their grey whiskers and chops. However they don’t seem to know it, one in particular (now 12) is very puppyish in her behaviour.
    I have never believed that our age should determine how we think and behave, it’s interesting that the first time we worry about our age is 30 and then seem to have the same jitters a ever ten years. This is why I have resolved to have a super hero party for my 60th birthday next year. Which super heroine would you be? Super faster perhaps?
    Glad to have you on board out thread – any age, sex, nationality welcome here but sense of humour compulsory.
    Jojo x

Hi all hope the fasters are doing well today. I’m trying hard not to be disappointed with a loss of 1 1/4lbs this week – a measly 3/4 lb short of my goal. The overall total is still great (13 1/4lb in 6 wks) but no matter how often I got on and off those scales this morning that pesky 3/4lb was still there!! It reminded me of all the ladies rushing to the loo before a weight watchers meeting to squeeze out that last wee pee. The best one heard was one woman confessing she had taken the wires out her bra!!
    Busy family weekend, house full just the way I like it. On my own next week (golf widow) so I plan to fast 3 days just to try it and shake things up a wee bit. Best wishes to all.

Hi everyone.

Yesterday’s fast was much easier than Monday so I’m feeling confident that I can manage another one tomorrow.
    Interesting that many of you are following low carb low sugar diets too.
    I have cut down on the amount of carbs I eat since I gave up work but only because I’m no longer in an environment where there is always a plate of muffins or a box of cookies or doughnuts hanging around. I make my own bread but limit how much I eat as I love it and could easily eat half a loaf at one sitting and of course it would be covered in butter and whatever else I fancy! I also make granola so I no longer buy breakfast cereals full of hidden sugar, but apart from that I don’t do anything to limit carbs or sugar.
    I don’t buy biscuits (because I’ve never been able to eat just one or two) processed food or ready meals apart from a pizza now and then so there isn’t really much to cut out.
    Do you guys do it from a health point of view or because you think it helps lose weight?

Hi everyone – and welcome back Smiffy. This is a friendly forum, so I don’t feel the need for a new thread.

Amazon, I have tried to reduce carbs and have found it works from a weight loss point of view – because most carbs just make me want to eat more and more of them – like you, I can’t stop at one slice of bread, or one biscuit, or one helping of pasta – which strangely seems to lead to a glass of wine or a piece of cheese etc! I find it easier not to place temptation in my way, as I am such a sucker for temptation. No self control once I get started.

Hi jojo,

Another shared opinion. Which is great! On the subject of “elderly” animals. In our innocence we took out pet insurance for our two moggies. When they reached the ripe old age of, would you believe, 8 (!!!, we were told that premiums would rise steeply as they were now considered old. We cancelled the policy. By the time they popped their clogs, at 15 and 21 respectively they would have been considered antedeluvian.

What was very annoying was that we never claimed on the insurance. The sort of routine stuff that pets go through, e.g. immunisations, weren’t covered. And all their illnesses and injuries were so minor that the amount we paid not high enough to constitute a claim.

Don’t get me started on the issue of ageism. I set up a thread on the subject quite a while back and it’s still there if you are interested. I would love to go public and genuinely campaign against the kind of stupid, sweeping generalisations made about the more mature. Take this unflattering and, I think, totally unfair vision of the over-55s, indeed of anyone from the 50s – many of whom looking to be in their late 30s – to the 90s and beyond – many of whom could pass for 70-ish – in reasonable health with marbles intact:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26654759

However, I work on the fringes of the meeja where ageism is rife and it could be disastrous for me to reveal my age. It’s a very “mature” profession and many practitioners carry on into their 80s and even their 90s. I didn’t really hit my stride until 60, when my work went up several notches. Colleagues think I’m hovering around 60 as many of them are. The reaction to the very, very occasional off-day is “Hermaj had an off-day, not to worry,” rather than “Hermaj is losing it, let’s put the poor old thing out to grass”, that could be the response if I revealed my DoB.

Thanks for the invite to your super-60 party. Could I come as a souped-up, intergallactic version of Catherine Tates’ Nana, wearing my pants over my leotard? She’s a naughty older woman who could swear for England – just like me. After all, I am a “language” specialist. 🙂

Glad you agree about staying put, Cheeseplease. I like it here. As I said earlier to Smiffy, there’s no harm in doing a bit of thread-hopping if the topic interests us, but it’s good to have a safe haven, like this one.

Thanks Cheeseplease, it is always interesting and often useful to know what motivates people to do something.
    I’ve had a tough time over the years with my inability to limit myself to two biscuits or one slice of cake but I’ve finally come to terms with the fact that the only person who can help me to lose weight is me. I can take encouragement from fellow dieters like all of you on here (who I think are very generous with your kind words for each other) but I’m the one who has to make the decision to not eat any more bread. Sometimes I fail miserably, but these days more often than not I succeed, and the idea that I can have it tomorrow is what has made me stick to it where all else has failed. I said no to a G&T last Saturday because I knew it would lead to another and another, which would then be followed by uncontrolled shovelling of everything I could find into my mouth, and that would undo all the effort of my fast days and leave me feeling bloated and unhappy. I don’t know who was more surprised, me or my friend. I don’t remember ever refusing a G&T before…….

Hi Hermaj
    No, nothing wrong with being a thread tart! On the subject of insurance, I can’t begin to calculate how much I have saved over the years by not taking out all the extra insurance usually offered by spotty youths ( apologies to spotty youths everywhere) in electrical retailers as that’s where the money is made these days. No, don’t need to pay for an extra three years “guarantee” only to find there is some sneaky get out clause.

Harrumph!

Hi Cheeseplease,

Like you, I must have saved squillions over the years. Spotty youths hold no fears for me. As they approach, physically or telephonically, my inbuilt s**t detector goes into action.

One not so youthful bloke trying to sell me something a few years back gave up in despair when I failed to respond to his sales patter. “Blimey,” he sighed, “you’re difficult, aren’t you?” “Well spotted, mate,” I refrained from saying. Poor chap was mightily peed off already. I didn’t want to increase his suffering.

Hiya guys from a dreech miserable Scotland can’t really complain as we have had some brilliant weather lately .

Age is only a number , I was told when you retire you can take it easy lol . I am 72 but in the head 27 lol .
    I have RA .I look after my son who has CP(now in his own home ) to be honest he does everything for himself , he has been to college and uni he is not in a wheelchair BUT I still Take him to appointments etc . I like to do things for him

My hubby ( My best friend) had a triple bypass 7 years ago and now has 2 aneurysms ( growing very slowly )

My Dad who is 96 has Alzheimer’s and is in care . I visit 3 times a week and our eldest son and his wife do another 2 days take him out for a drive . He is brilliant .

SOO being retired doesn’t mean we can sit on our bums all day lol . I love my life and my family . I am also loving this WOL . I found another top I had put away as it was too small . I had it on today when I went to get Dad …I felt a million dollars .

I don’t drink nor smoke but as you can see…I love to talk :). have a great day everyone .

Wee xx

Hello all,
    Yes hermajtomomi us ladies have to put up with sexist( at bowls club mainly)and ageist comments( my own kids often) daily but I go out of my way to shock them, I can also swear and often whistle at attractive men from a distance, try it, it’s great fun.

I go out most nights and stay up late, I do more exercise than most 18 year olds and enjoy every minute. I am always first on the dance floor and last off. I will now admit that in my youth(16) I was a ‘go go’ dancer at a nightclub where my current boyfriend at that time was DJ. I wore a fringed bikini, fishnet tights and black patent leather over the knee boots, I was obviously very slim then. Occasionally I relive the moment but don’t get quite so much applause, thankfully I remain fully dressed these days. But I can never hear ‘Do you want to be in my gang’ without smiling.

Now Amazon, you won’t want to hear this but I am being honest. I was addicted to bread, at least 6 slices every day. Do you realise how much sugar that is? When you add the butter( hate margarine) it’s far too many calories, bloat and caused flatulence. Sorry to be so crude but it’s true. I gave up sugar after giving up bread for six months. Basically I am looking at my long term aims. Processed foods with high sugar levels will always be a problem for me. I cannot exceed 1200 cals per day without gaining weight. I wish I knew why but it’s a fact, a sad but true fact. Dietitians and doctors cannot come up with an answer to this dilemma. That’s why fasting works for me!

At the end of the day refined sugar is bad for us and wheat is an allergen – case closed. I have got used to such a different diet now that it is normal and of course very healthy. I feel full of energy and apart from my dodgy hip I haven’t even had a cold or cough this year. In my job( nursery teacher) that is quite miraculous.

I recommended to a friend that she give up ‘sugar’ she has had long term irritable bowel(25 years worth), two months later – no further bouts of diarrhoea or sickness.
    She is finally getting her life back. It’s convinced me!

I too never buy any unnessasary insurance – rip off merchants. Girl power!

I also gave up alcohol for a New Years a Resolution because I knew I would be fasting this year, it has actually not been difficult at all, in fact I may remain tee total. So many calories saved so much water drunk, my skin is positively glowing with hydration. I realise now how permanently dehydrated I was pre fast days.

Off to the Specialist now hopefully to get a steroid jab – fingers crossed guys( non sexist term of course).

Jojo

Weemam,
    And we love to read your posts
    Jojo xx

Tartan lass,
    3/4 pound is one fast day – you can do it!
    Don’t forget to eat lots of fibre!
    Jojo

Jojo, I hope the specialist can do something about your hip pain.

I know all about the evils of wheat and gluten, but I’ll not be giving up bread any time soon as I enjoy it far too much!

Hello All,
    The dreaded injection has been done and bloody painful it was too. However the specialist is not convinced it is bursitus and suspects it’s a spinal problem, not good news. He is going to see me again in two weeks to assess progress. On the bright side he is doing something about it. He approves of the 5:2 diet so that’s good too, he said carry on until I reach 10 stone because it will only help matters viz a viz back problem. Bad news was that I must rest this week, not even 45 minute dog walks, swimming or yoga are approved. I am not going to be a happy bunny, enforced rest not my bag. I guess I will be doing so e intensive Spanish and embroidery.

Amazon – sorry, I was trying to support your slimming efforts. I said the same myself for 40 years( because I love bread) but then I also said I would never give up smoking (I would never consider starting again). I am glad you can keep these things in your diet and still lose weight, it wasn’t the case for me. I have the attitude now that I would actually give up anything to be the slim me. Health becomes more of an issue when you have pain, you will do anything to relieve it.

Fast day tomorrow, really looking forward to it.

Goodnight fellow fast trackers

Hi Jojo
    Glad to hear you are in the hands of a specialist and fingers crossed he can get it sorted speedily. The 5:2 gets more plaudits as well – as do you for your dedication to sticking with it through thick and thin – groan at lousy pun! I agree about bread causing bloating and flatulence. However, since I switched to making my own sourdough these unpleasant side effects have diminished no end – I stick to one slice five times a week though and very rarely eat potatoes and other carbs.

awww Jojo he is the specialist so he should know what he is talking about . It must be hard for you being told not to do things as you are always so active but you just have to be good ( as good as you can be lol .

My RA was what made me really make my mind up about 5.2 . of course I love the getting clothes on that were too small for me BUT the difference on the “load bearing “on my knees is brilliant . This is a great group and we are all keeping each other going .
    I think too that it is better having a wee bit of what you like ( as long as we can stick at a wee bit).

I can have some ice cream and count it in BUT I dare not have a full tub in the freezer . My dreams are sometimes about ice cream . Great when you have pigged out and then wake up and No Carbs or Calories involved lol

Wee xx

Thanks all,
    I promise to follow Doctors orders.
    You and I are travelling the same road then Cheeseplease, great to have company.

Just checking in before a quick nap before work.
    JoJo .
    I mean to say about rosemary , find a recipe that makes rosemary pair well with.
    Even in a side dish, as long asit all goes to the same place in the belly is what matters.

Forgive me this moment as I share the samber news that my wife cancer is terminal, and a prognosis of 6 months. Very sad. ~sigh~

So with my fasting friends I’ll share my knowledge , on I approach my risk of cancer.

Think of a tree’s leaves. If you plucked them off the tree and ate them they may be good for you.
    However as the turn color , and dry out in the fall, imagine then so dry that turn to dust. That dust is toxic. The more all other foods go from fresh on vine and or ripe, to becoming decayed until dust. The more risk there is of toxicicity. So to say like a fresh chicken, burnt to a crisp- burnt into dust. Is toxic.

Rosemary has risks, but also helps the human to deal with the toxicity of burnt foods.

This was an unplanned B2B fast day , as I’m just stunned. But at least I didn’t eat myself into a stupor. I’m determined to eat and exercise in healthy way , god willing to be here for my daughter as I as. Can. If I live for another 8 years I’ll be the oldest ancestor on my fathers side in many generations. So I all I can say is thank you to doctor on micheal moseys documentary , eat, fast, live longer. Achieve what’s doable.
    Thank you sir , I’m walking, and eating what’s doable. I have more hope than I’ve ever had to get back to the weight I was in high school.

It hit me JoJo the melody of the KEEP ON KEEPIN ON song.

The same melody borrowed from knock knock on heavens door, by bob Dylan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jPg2M1UYgU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Nothing to do with that song,

But I may find it easier to Chang the words and keep the tempo

Starting with the first line.

Doctor please take this spoon from me, I can’t eat that way anymore.

I’ll post it on or near the 1,500th post

Samm I’m very sorry to hear this news. You have some tough times ahead. I hope your family gets lots of support and that you can make some positive memories in the time you have left together. Sending you a virtual hug (I’m a hugger)

SAMM,
    What a tragedy after going through surgery, and she is leaving your young daughter. Thank goodness you are a loving and caring father. I lost my father when I was 11, it was very hard on my mother and her five children, we grew up quick but most of us learnt to be strong and live full lives.
    My sympathy and thoughts are with you at this very sad time. Look after yourself and your family. Try to be strong SAMM you are loved and needed.
    Much love and kisses
    Jojo xx
    Good luck with writing your song, you will need some positive distractions to keep you going through this very difficult time. Remember we are always here SAMM. We are all experienced in life and most of us in parenthood and can help you. It sounds like your daughter shares your spirit and intelligence and therefore can help you through this terrible time.

Good morning fast trackers,
    It’s a sad time on this thread because SAMM is one of our core members and biggest contributors. I hope you will all join me in giving him special thought today. When I get bad news it is often destructive to my diet, I am determined that in Samm’s honour that this trend will stop today. On that note SAMM I have lost a further 1 1/4 pounds and plan to lose at least another 1/2 pound on my fast today.

We can change our lifetime habits to positive ones. I have decided to counteract the painkillers by increasing the fibre, adding bran before every meal, let’s see how that pans out(forgive the pun). SAMM you have inspired me with you whacky ideas, this one is for you.
    P.s. Tried the kidney beans lunch, it gave me a stomach ache, switched to chickpeas which are both tasty(curried of course) and nutritious. Good luck all

good morning all
    SAMM I can’t really add anything to what has been said . I can send you a virtual cuddle though pal ( I am a Huger too) All you can do is be strong pal and keep telling your wife you love her , Knowing you are loved is the best thing in my opinion

Wee xx

Morning all.
    Although I’m new to this thread I would like to send my best wishes to SAMM. It must be very tough for you. I hope you have plenty of support to help you through.

Jojo, how is your hip this morning?
    I’ve had a steroid injection in my back and it was extremely painful for a couple of day and then it did what it was supposed to do and I was pain free after three months of seriously bad back pain.

I don’t like kidney beans or should I say they don’t like me but I love chick peas.

Third fast day of the week today. I’m going for the single meal option again.

Morning Amazon,
    Well done you, glad to here you are pain free now, it makes such a difference to our lives. I am pretty tough but pain at night, when you have no destruction is a bugger. I think it will be painkillers for a few days at least, if not longer. I got four hours sleep last night and am helping my daughter get her classroom ready today. Us retured teachers have their uses. It was disgustingly dirty and dusty. I am in charge of displays, my forte and cupboard organisation. I always think that every cupboard needs a list on the door and numbered boxes. Organisation makes life so much easier. I will turn the bottom half over to child friendly version with pictures and words on boxes.
    I tried the single meal option, my daughter does that version too. At the end of the day it made no difference weight wise so I reverted to three small meals. I always include zero noodles on a fast day and if I am hungry at night I have a protein drink before bed.
    Ah well coffee break over back to work

SAMM
    I haven’t been here very long but I have enjoyed your postings. I was sad to hear your news. You have a hard road ahead but you don’t have to walk it on your own. All the very best to you and your family.

Hi SAMM,

Can I add my message of sympathy at your very sad news. Like all your other friends on this thread I’ll be thinking of you. You come across as a wise, thoughtful, kind, caring sort of guy. You also have a lovely gentle sense of humour. I’m sure all of these virtues will help you, Mrs SAMM and your daughter through the very difficult time ahead. You may even enjoy a smile or two together.

Pain at night is the worst isn’t it. During the day we have things and people to distract us but at night there is nothing and I think that makes it much more difficult to cope with. You seem to have such a positive attitude about everything though and I believe that is half the battle.

I’ve found that once I start eating I get hungrier than if I don’t eat all day.
    I slept in this morning as I was up until the early hours watching tennis so most of the morning is over already and I have two or three hours worth of things to do that will keep my mind away from food.
    My kettle bells arrived this morning. I got a good workout carrying the parcel up the stairs to my flat!
    Time for some proper exercise now.

Oh, SAMM, I am so sorry about your wife’s prognosis. How tragic for your daughter and for you. You are all in my thoughts.

Hello all, and thank you for your postings on recent weight loss. I am sorely in need of motivation at the moment! Started with a fast day yesterday, but ended up eating many carbs through the late afternoon and I to the evening. I’m afraid I didn’t just dream the ice cream, @weemam. Probably the worst I’ve done in 6 months. No surprise that my tummy felt awful all evening, but good that I am feeling negative effects from that behavior! I really can’t wait to get back to my school schedule on Tuesday. One social event this weekend, family beach day and dinner Saturday, then B2B fast Sunday and Monday.
    Hope the hip pain subsides very soon, Jojo. I love organizing and labeling things as well. My classroom was downsized to a much smaller office, so I am having to be very strict about ” a place for everything, everything in it’s place!”
    Keep working and posting, everyone. It is very motivating!

I haven’t posted much, but I do read the forums a lot for inspiration and support. You are all fantastic, and have kept me going, so thank you.

SAMM, I’m very sorry to hear your news. You are so supportive of others, I hope you can take some comfort knowing there are lots of people thinking of your family and sending you love and best wishes.

Lots of you are talking about going back to school. I spent a lovely day in my classroom yesterday. I’ve gutted it! I found curriculum stuff that was 15+ years old, and chucked the lot. Ahhh satisfying! There’s something therapeutic about labelling books and sorting out tables and classroom layout. I’m looking forward to getting back to “normal” – school timetable. It’s sometimes impossible to eat, let alone over-eat!

I saw people mentioning languages being taught in school. I work in an infant school, and our children have a 1/2 hour French lesson once a week. I did French and Italian A-Level, and my year 2s LOVE when I suddenly break into French during e.g. a PE lesson, and refuse to speak any English pretending I can’t possibly understand them. They love to learn something funny to tell their French teacher. Hilarious! It amazes me how much French they can speak by the end of year 2!

Anywho,
    Happy fasting everyone. I can’t wait to lose the next pound- the weight just goes up… And slowly back down during the week at the moment. Boo. I’m hoping routine will solve that.

Tracey x

@jojo, virtual yard sales are not exactly eBay. The ones I use are Facebook sites and are local. People post photos of items to sell with a price, (so no bidding, but you can negotiate if you are the only one interested) and first to respond gets first dibs. You come to an agreement on price and make arrangements for pickup. I have gotten some great things, including my 6 dining room chairs for $40, a very expensive rug for $200, and of course, the doll house! I do my lot of shopping at a thrift store called Savers. If you know what brands to look for, the discounts are amazing, and I always get compliments on my finds.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,451 through 1,500 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.