Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,351 through 1,400 (of 16,657 total)

• Hi jojo,

I agree, it’s a pain about the Zero Noodles, but I’ve just ordered a pack of 20 at £1.77 each which even including the added postage is 25-30p a packet better than I’m paying locally.

I’ve still to see Michael’s documentary. I can’t help admiring the way he’s prepared to play guinea pig during his various investigations. I recall during the great documentary that started us all off on 5:2, for the sake of science he sat down to tackle an obscenely large “cholesterol bomb” in an American diner. As he slunk off he was definitely not a happy bunny.

As you say genes is genes. I seem to have managed to defy one gene. Both parents were diabetic and so, it has emerged, is my brother, but thus far my blood glucose has always been normal. Sadly, their height and build I can’t do much about, but I seem finally to have cracked the weight issue, although with still a way – a stone or so- to go. At least I no longer frighten animals, small chidren and old ladies.

This is the first time a WOE has worked for me and I’ll be happy to do it until the cows come home, maybe in adapted form once I get close to target – fingers toes and everything crossed.

Hi hermajtomomi ,
    Glad to know you saved some money on the zero noodles anyway, I will keep you posted if I see bargains. I only have two packs left so I will need to act quickly, I use at least three packets per week.
    Ref Michael, please note he turned down the offer of a colonoscopy( camera on tube up the back passage), so not quite prepared to do anything for his art. Teehee. The polyps found in patients were gross and they recommended everyone in their 50’s should have one so that polyps could be removed before they got cancerous. Scary or what, I have two years to build up the courage to be tested.

How much weight have you lost in total? God I wish I only had a stone to go!
    Oh well I will be in your shoes next year, just need to keep on working on it.
    Just off to spiralise dinner.
    Speak later

I have had up to date 5 colonoscopys if you relax it is fine . They let me watch it on the monitor the last time . They always take a polyp and send it to the lab . So far everything has been fine :). It can be a wee bit uncomfortable BUT much better than having Cancer in my opinion . The worst thing about it is drinking the prep before it .. really vile YUCK!!!!

Wee xx

Hi Weemam,
    Well that information is good to know. Glad the results were good. I too have had experience of pre test gunk, it’s obviously a requirement that it tastes vile. Still we do what is necessary do we not?

I have been watching a red arrow this afternoon, now there is stomach churning acrobatics. My daughter would love to be on board the plane but I would not contemplate such a trip.

I have the urge to go shopping so I am heading off for a browse. My stomach is full of Thai chicken dinner but I would kill for some ice cream( distraction necessary).

Well done, Michael
    He would have to be some kind of a nutter to agree to an on-camera colonoscopy. 🙂

Total weight loss, in kilos if that’s OK.
    Pre-5:2: 2-3 kilos without even trying after being taken off steroids (I won’t bore you with the details).
    First year on 5:2 : 6 kilos, partly as a result of a 5-month plateau.
    Since Feb 2014: after fairly steep carb cut-back, a further 6 kilos
    Total: 12 on 5:2 plus (say) 3 kilo pre 5:2
    Overall reduction: 15 kilos = 33lbs = 2st 5lb.
    Although it would still be technically overweight I would be content at 10 st (63 kilos), at which I know I don’t look bad at all. A few lbs more would be a bonus. Besides, it’s actually recommended for women of certain age to be up to 10lbs over as protection against osteoporosis (that’s my story and I’m stcking to it).

Hi Everyone

Reading about how children learn to eat new foods. I was suprised to learn that it sometimes takes 30 attempts to swallow new foods without spitting out. When we move from breast milk or formulas. I’m just guessing this may also apply to trying new foods at any time in life. I’ve certainly tried some new things I would of thought were unappealing, buthavefound them tolerable now. So when I plan menus I can put in some new foods . Istarted at 274lbs after a car crash. I was technically sedentary , but increased my strengths , and taken job that has increased my N.E.A.T so much I’m losing 1/4 a week I’m estimating without much effort.

I’m now 229lbs and very active walker atwork. Iwatch my carb intake mostly. As I am very determined to know how to count calories. I’ve learned idont eat too much fat, or protein . It’s the carbs that seem to eat even when I’m not hungry. My answer was to add beans and fish to my diet and take out the pasta meals from my menu. plus picking from the glycemic index the vegtables that don’t cause spikes in bloodsugars.

I still have 50lbsto go to get to 174 my goal. So to lose 6lbsor more a month, by menu and 2lbs by calories from exercise.Go to restart jumping rope today.

Red beans and blue berries are very high in antioxidants. And prunes very good for calcium. As these are typically high in calories I eat them regularly on feed days.
    http://healwithfood.org/health-benefits/prunes.php

Way to go weemam!

OHH! I forgot to say 2 pounds off again this week so 16 in total . LOVING this WOL

Wee xx

Woohoo, Weemam, keep it up!

Still29

Glad to hear someone’s doing jumping jacks.

Our circlulatory system has the heart to pump circulation, but the lymphatic system doesn’t have pump to help circulate it. There are however a few exercises that help to circulate the lymphatic system. Jumping jacks, jumprope, and trampoline.

Here’s a quick read

http://byregion.net/articles-healers/Exercise_Lymphatic.html

Hi all, just watching Great British Bake Off, not really recommended when fasting but a former parent of my nursery is in it, Chetna. She is a amazing cook. This cooking always makes me want to do a course. French classics would be my choice.
    Weemam – fantastic effort pls give us tips

Thank goodness we don’t have ‘smellovision’ ! The great British bake off would be even more tortuous than it is already! I normally have a sweet tooth but that seems to be changing. I don’t eat a lot of bread but have recently cut back drastically on carbs. I could reach into the TV and gorge on all that lovely warm bread.
    Another fast today, I am managing this woe with more ease than any other diet I’ve ever done. I don’t fully understand why, maybe I’m just in the right frame of mind but I think it suits me. I’m learning so much too. Good luck to all.

Onhh Jojo and tartan lass, I had to avoid GBBO! I’m fasting, and for some reason I’ve been absolutely ravenous all day. Mmm cakes….
    Thanks for all the tips for slim noodles/pasta/rice. I’ve ordered some rice to try, hopefully itll be a hit. Looking forward to experimenting, although my cooking ability has always been questionable.
    I started the couch to 5K plan today. I did it inside as it was drizzling, and I didn’t fancy being miserable AND wet. I was pleased with my stamina! 8 months ago i wouldn’t have been able to walk at a brisk pace for 1/2 hour, let alone alternating running. Has anyone had success with the C25K? It would be great to hear how you got on?
    Samm, it’s lovely to hear of someone in a similar position progress wise. I started at 274, and am currently at 234 (although I gained a stone and have only just lost it again). Congrats on your brilliant loss so far. And congrats to everyone else too!
    Happy fasting,
    Tracey

Oh no, am I missing a new series of The Great British Bake Off? What week are you on? I’ll have to wait for the reruns on the weekends (I love binge-watching with my family). The Bake Off is like a big, warm, cinnamon-scented cuddle. Watching it feels like being in a soft and warm pillow fort with treats. But without the calories.

I’m lucky today because Wednesday is Pastry Day in my family (long standing market day tradition) and I still have a Berliner waiting for me. Lol, traditional Pastry Day, no wonder I weighed what I weighed. I f I think about what I used to eat on Wednesdays, yikes.

Jojo, regarding swimming and mp3, I love 60s/70s music! Please recommend any songs that help motivate you!
    I’ll start by recommending Oh Boy! By Buddy Holly (Mud’s version is far too slow!) and Mr Blue Sky – ELO.
    Anyone else who has favourite music from any decade that helps them, please share!
    Happy fasting
    Tracey

Ooo Flemish, we’re only on the 2nd week. Mary Berry’s look of disapproval is as cutting as ever, as are Mr Hollywood’s beautiful eyes.
    Enjoy that Berliner! (It’s a doughnut doesn’t it?) I’m sure it’ll be delicious and worth the wait!
    Tracey

Hi treat89
    I tried the couch to 5k, and really enjoyed it and really noticed my improving fitness. I also got a real buzz from it. Unfortunately I pulled a muscle in my calf about six weeks in. I was told by a physio that my running gait was so awful it was bad for my body so I had to stop. That was three years ago and I now have a problem with my hip, so restarting isn’t on the cards sadly. Good luck with your efforts, i hope it goes well for you, I assume you are doing it on a treadmill? I really enjoyed being outside, and found it very boring on the treadmill.

Has anyone any idea how long it takes to walk 10,000 steps? I try and walk briskly for an hour every day.

I am definitely veering towards buying a Spiralizer!

Hello Cheeseplease,
    It takes me one hour to walk 10,000 steps but a friend who walks with me only does 8,500 – longer stride and legs ( what can I say bad choice of friend – leggy and good looking) but at least she has to walk for an extra 15 mins to catch up my steps tee hee, bitch, bitch. Snap on the hip problem, it’s a bugger for sure, possibly having a steroid injection to reduce the inflammation next week.
    You won’t regret getting a spiraliser, I have friends who visit just to use it. Great for raw food diet, this is the current rage in this area along with wild foraging.
    Treat89 – my all time compilation favourite ‘This is it’ 20 hits – you may need iTunes, 101 running songs ( 5 cd’s) – brilliant, anything by the drifters, essential 70’s (3 cd’s), Kiel- the 80’s (16 timeless pop classics and finally Hits of the 80’s (What a Feeling)-Delta Music Group. Favourite groups – Pink Floyd, ELO and Cream favourite singers Streisand, Sade and Elkie Brooks.
    Seems I touched a nerve talking about the GBBO – sorry ladies, but you can get it on I player, I think it was week 3.
    Finished 2nd fast day this week thank goodness, making cheese scones tomorrow, don’t panic (not for me) gift for a friend, lots of strong cheese and cayenne pepper. I may need to make one very small one, as a taster.
    I bought three second hand waistcoats today, they look great over floral tops, I had forgotten what a great look they can make, so used to having clothes that cover my rear.
    Have fun tomorrow guys
    Remember ‘you can’t win at everything but you can laugh at everything’

Good morning everyone and well done on your progress, despite temptations like Pastry Day and the GBBO.

Hermaj, couldn’t help but smile about your Japanese and Swahili comments. My paid field of endeavour is botany but never admitted to being ‘a botanist’ because people would automatically assume I knew the name of every plant in the vicinity – most of which I didn’t have a clue about. Now I work for a botanic garden I’m getting better though 😉

Have a good day all. Sun is shining again and spring isn’t far away for us SH dwellers.

@tartan lass

I feel the same way about the IF. Intermittent Fasting . I take the 600 calories. In 2013 I lost 33 lbs in a sedentary lifestyle using IF. I was diligent for 8months before my schedule and financial issues interrupted me, and I returned to eating my old habits. Luckily I only gained lbs back . Ihad become curious at the anniversary of my 2013 start date.

So march 2014 I was 27lbs lighter than 2013. That prompted me to restart. I actually looked forward to restarting the fasting days. No other weight loss diet ever had my heart like IF. Reading my diet journal entries though many days were I went to bed hungry, I always was able to eat well in the morning.
    So in 2014 I looked forward without reservation to restarting the fasting days knowing unlike the many other diets I had tried. 2014 would be great year of eating great foods, and losing my belly fat.

In the last few days every time I look into a mirror I’m astonished, I’m shrinking in the belly region, my old clothes no longer fit even with a belt. Everyone from family , friends, co Workers and eve the buffet register lady sees a thinner me, and now isee it too.

Along the way I had a set back, being diagnoised with diabetes . This really put me to the test. Foods that I enjoyed no longer were healthy without carefully testing how I react to them. I came up with a plan shared with my GP. And have her approval for 7 fasts per month in 12 days. She’s not an expert, and it’s my plan, but her approval is essential. As idont want to harm myself.

So I’m right with you Tartan lass that this style of fasting for weight loss holds a lot of satisfying possibilities that other calorie restiction plans don’t. I’d say my biggest possibility was working out how I could still go to an all I can eat buffet once every two weeks. AND still lose weight. 1st I had small plate of veggies , then smaller plate of fruits. Then onto steak and lobster. I figured I could get a deep fillin of vitamin and minerals and then start a 4:3 . I believe the key was I no longer got any calories from drinks so my calories counting totals for feed days and fast days were almost always from nutrition dense foods. My thought was and is if I’m not deficient in vitamins or minerals I may not struggle as much as did on other diets or from starving myself. To my pleasure what I found was an opportunity to use fasting days to pamper myself in other ways than feeling full. Sipping health drinks,taking baths, cleaning the dust out of air spaces. Aroma therapies, skin care and shiatsu self massage. However on feed days I was finding friends to go out with and family to stay with.

On my second year with IF as my lifestyle, I’m thinner, but more importantly I believe I’m healthier too a if embraced health foods on my feed days. Especially fish when eating out. It’s the first thing I look for on restaurant menus. I guess I’m saying if found a calorie restriction lifestyle that I dont feel guilty about, and That keeps making me thinner. I think of this way. 1 single fast day inst much of a difference , but 100-150 fasting day a year certainly will. But the other 200 days a year I get to enjoy my foods to the point of indigence. I love chocolate, so I eat on feed days , but I know what my numbers are. What will spike my sugars, or at what point will I putting in more calories than I will burn.

Since I started 5:2, then 4:3 and onto ADF, with an increased N.E.A.T and H.I.I.T I’ve finally found what works for me. Add This thread and the support . I feel I will reach goal , without regrets.

Cheers!

Morning Fast trackers,
    Woke up really hungry today so hoped for positive scales reading but no change. God I am so frustrated, having to take pain killers every night to deal with hip pain which is being aggravated by exercise. This then stops me losing weight on fast days( slows up digestive tract), it’s a viscous circle but I know I need to keep moving no matter what. As soon as I am able to stop the pain killers the weight will drop off, I have to be patient but I am not good at that! Arrrghhhhh. Maybe I will try ‘rub in’ pain relief tonight, see if that works, after all I can afford to have more time in bed in the morning, post retirement benefit.
    Lots of walking planned today plus bowls practise, may even squeeze a swim in for good measure. SAMM, good to know you are back to your old positive self, keep on keeping on mate, what happened to your song?
    Flemish curves – Pastry Day – seriously? I couldn’t even conceive of such a thing, it’s a ‘no go’ area for me, I adore savoury pastry and have very little control when it comes to sausage rolls and Cornish pasties. Gave up bread for the same reason, sadly. I’m an all or nothing dieter, hence giving up alcohol too. I do have 3 bread sticks each day and lots of berries, plus nuts on feed days, these are my treats now.
    NickyF, working in a Botanic garden would be a dream job for me, how lucky you are?
    If only I could face more study I would certainly consider doing a gardening qualification, I really enjoy growing and caring for plants. But years of taking further qualifications in teaching have led me to a pathological fear of essay writing and study. I still work on my Spanish learning but only by audio tapes, just conversation really.
    Have a great day my friends and pray the scales of justice give us our due rewards on Saturday.

Good morning 🙂

Samm: Thank you so much for info on Lymphatic system which I’ll re-paste in case anyone missed it. http://byregion.net/articles-healers/Exercise_Lymphatic.html
    In a nutshell; look after your lymphatic system , and the rest will follow. This is essential reading for all of us.

Jojo: It sounds like you’re having a difficult time. It’s so disheartening when there are no apparent rewards for the hard work and sacrifice isn’t it? You know though, that on some level, good stuff is happening. There is a paragraph in the above article, which Samm posted regarding the awakening (for want of a better phrase) of the collection of lymph nodes that reside just under the collarbone. all you need to do is tap for 15 mins a day. Every little helps, as they say.

Amazon emailed to tell me my Spirilizer will be delivered today (Yay!)- when I ordered it yesterday, they said it would be on Saturday. Oooh, spag bol with courgette ‘pasta’ for dinner tomorrow. Yum.

Tomorrow is my first weigh-in day. Which means today is last chance training – (I watch far too much weight loss TV.) After I’ve finished work this morning, I’m off to the gym for 6 miles on the treadmill and a 32 length swim which I’ll have to do now as I’ve just told you all I will. This evening, it will be a 25 minutes HIT session with a DVD and my OH at home. Oh, and it’s FD2.

Dinner is Chicken and Japanese Rice Bowl (appx 400 calls).

Still29,
    Thanks for the link, I had forgotten it. I do get tons of exercise but skipping and jumping Jacks too much for me at 14 stone with a dodgy hip. Maybe when I get nearer 11 I will give it another go. I use kettlebell swing for my lymph workout, certainly brings on a sweat three times per week for twenty mins and hip friendly.
    I have had an idea that might work, instead of walking at a moderate pace try skipping( country dance style) what do you think? Might cause a stir but who cares, I will give it a go on the dog walk today, why not.

SAMM knows what he is talking about guys do read his links.

SAMM – your discussions about eating skins is coming to the front line. Apparently onion skins( ground) added to stews, tomatoes skins( preferably concentrated) taken in pill form suggested and orange skins(kept on when you liquidise) are all fantastic anti oxidants and longevity foods. Also mood enhances – excellent to know. Who knew ? Samm of course!

Just realised my dandelion tea is made from leaves not root, I will check out others. As you say SAMM sometimes we have to persist with new flavours, I am doing this, if only to use the tea bags up, my cupboard if full of the damn things, various taste disasters await my persistence.

Ply – how you doing on the weight loss front now you are back in the gym at sunrise?

Keep researching guys and see what tips you can offer to improve our health and well being.

Morning, fast trackers!
    Back to work today, just a one day training before we start in earnest on Sept. 2. I am always excited about the start of school, even though I love summer. One of the many great things about teaching is the fresh start every September! Most professions do not get that opportunity. I am very excited about a program I am starting at my school called Girls on the Run. It’s for girls ages 8-11, and seeks to build their strength, confidence, and ability to handle the pressures of tween and teen life. There is also a running component, mostly in the form of games. We will meet twice a week, and run a 5k in December. All the chapters from around the state run the 5k, so there will be about 400 little girls taking over the race! Check it out if you get a moment: http://www.girlsontherun.org
    Fasting today as well. It has been a very good week for me thus far!
    I will be getting my first colonoscopy soon, since I turned 50 in January. Like Weemam says, I hear the prep is worse than the actual procedure. @Hermaj, an American TV host, Katie Couric, had one on TV after her husband died very young from colon cancer.
    I got a new kettle bell DVD which I am going to do tonight. Sunday and Thursday will be my kettle bell days. Look forward to my complaining about being sore Friday and Saturday!
    Sounds like you have the exercise plan down, still29! I have never been a swimmer, just don’t like being wet all that much. My gym has a nice pool, so maybe I will try it. SAMM will keep you posted on the latest detail for all exercise and body systems!
    @treat89,I know many women who have become regular runners after starting with a couch to 5k plan. Go for it!
    Jojo, if only you could get rid if those meds! Between painkillers and antihistamines, they really hamper your efforts. But you know that they are only hiding your progress, not preventing it, so you are getting fitter and losing fat even if the scales don’t say so. Keep doing what you are doing, it is all to the good.
    I watch a lot of Food Network, though sometimes have to avoid on fast day evenings. I am sure I would like GBBO! I love to cook and bake, but do not eat most of what I bake. My kids, family members, friends, and coworkers are only too happy to take it off my hands. My cooking efforts get channeled into trying to create yummy low cal meals, often by modifying higher cal and carb favorites.
    Have a wonderful day, everyone!

Hello everyone in cyberland. A dull wet morning here I’m afraid.
    Jojo I’m sorry you had a disappointment on the scales I know how that feels. Its a complicated business this weight loss but I’m starting to believe that if you stick with it your body had no no choice but to give up some of that nasty fat! Re your hip have you tried other methods of pain relief? Tens, Acupuncture or even a warm bath with some stretches before bed maybe helpful. I dont know what your problem is but I would caution you re swimming as it can aggrivate certain joint conditions. Walking in the swimming pool is a great exercise – it is quite aerobic as walking aginst the water requires effort and your joints are not stressed at all.
    Samm thank you for your encouragement and well done on your success to date, especially as you have diabetis to contend with as well. The science of this is probably the hook for me, it has come down to a formula! I have also discovered that being hungry for short periods is not too bad, I grew up in a 1st world country where hunger is almost unknown and feared. I think there is a mind shift happening with me but being a true scot I’m cautious and a wee bit sceptical by nature lol.
    However another 2lbs off this morning gives me hope and I’m now looking forward to getting back to some exercise as well.
    Best wishes to all.

Jojo, I am staying off the scales for a week or two. Will report in when I break through the ten pounds to go mark, hopefully by Labor Day, September 1.
    I drink my dandelion tea iced, just throw a couple of bags in my water bottle and let it steep overnight. I think it tastes better cold. I drink it because it is a diuretic, so helps with water retention.

Hi jo-jo,

Sorry to hear you are feeling rough. Have you tried topical analgesics like DeepHeat or Voltarol? Voltarol also do thermal patches which could help if the pain is in a convenient place – i.e. a flat area of flesh rather than somewhere such as between the top of the thigh and the lower abdomen, where all your natural bending movements might loosen it. Not sure if Boots also do a cheaper own-brand version, but I wouldn’t be surprised. I’ve often found it helpful to strategically place an extra pillow or cushion to support the painful area.

I wish you hadn’t mentioned sausage rolls or Cornish pasties. 🙁 I have a savoury rather than a sweet tooth and am far more likely to succumb to something along those lines than to cakes, biscuits or sweets. My biggest weakness is smoked salmon taramasalata which fortunately isn’t that widely available, so I get to eat it maybe once every two or three months.

One of the pleasures of living in a part of London with a multi-ethnic community is that there often corner-type shops open all hours only a few hundred yards away, but the downside is the temptation pop out to and pick up something naughty to eat. But I shall show restraint, even on a non-fast day. 🙂

Edit

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_deficiency

Weakened immune systemSusceptibility to viruses, toxins, complement, venom: inability to protect cell membranePoor appetite – esp young, elderlyChronic diarrheaGrowth failure in childrenVisual difficultiesMen – failure of sexual maturity, prostatitisWomen – menstrual cramping, birth defectsDelayed wound healingFree radical damagePremature agingJoint painIncreased oxidative stress – esp athletes, vegetariansWhite bands, spots or lines on nailsExcess DNA damageAcne.[11]

eres one for jojo and all.

its the importance of zinc. I post some links so youll know its not just my opinion.

the human body cannot create zinc nor store it. It has to be ingested regularly. My favorite source is dark chicken meat. However its my opinion that fasting if not carefully keeping up eith vitamin and mineral intake may lead to less absorbtion .

heresthe link

and here’s the issues

Hi All,
    Well you will be thrilled to know I made quite a few friends skipping around the park, it was very comical and everyone I saw asked me what I was doing. I said I was practising for the skipping Olympics, several people said ‘really when is it?’ Worrying or what?
    I even skipped for part of my group walk, they think I am both mad and attention seeking, I am of course. Ply – I did this in my hot pink drainpipe jeans of course. Teehee.
    Thanks for your support everyone, I know the medications are just masking the weight loss, it will go. I have tried all the remedies suggested, I have had tendonitus and bursitus for nearly 10 years, I have refused steroids in the past. I was told it would go if I lost weight, this is what prompted the last years diet. It has of course got much worse because I do loads of exercise. It aches during the day but I manage without pills. At night it aches and throbs keeping me awake hence I take pain killers. I am trying voltarol and pillow tonight.
    Had loads to eat today, porrige for breakfast, soup and fruit with lemon yogurt for lunch and salmon, brocolli and potato for dinner. I even had some ice cream so it won’t be there to tempt me on fast day tomorrow. When I think about it compared to my old eating patterns it isn’t actually that much.

Tartan lass – thanks for the advice, actually swimming doesn’t aggravate my hip, non weight bearing – my walking does along with my sports sadly.

Ply – good to know you are on your game.
    GBBO is a reality cooking show where contestants compete three challenges which is judged by two famous British cooks, one baker and one who specialises in cakes. I taught the children of one of the current contestants and I know she is a very good cook, I have eaten many of her biscuits and cakes( irresistible).
    My daughter got her teaching degree results today – a distinction – following in my footsteps, I am a proud mother. I will be helping her on the 1st and 2 nd September, to prepare her classroom, so much for retirement?

Good luck to Friday Fasters

Hi jojo,

Well done, your daughter. You must both be over the moon at her wonderful result. As you said in a different context, jojo, genes is genes, but this time in a very good way. I wish her – and her proud and supportive mum – a happy probationary year (assuming it still works like that). Is she teaching primary or secondary?

Coincidentally, Him Indoors recently gained a qualification enabling him to teach in the public sector, e.g. for local authorities, the NHS etc. As a gentleman of a certain age he has reinvented himself as a Tai Chi/Qi Gong instructor after being “talent-spotted” by the tutor of a class at which he was a student. Within a couple of weeks, she had him supervising beginners and encouraged him to think seriously about becoming an instructor. He already has a couple of paid “gigs” , one of which is a job-share with this same tutor, and is now working towards a formal qualification in Tai Chi/Qi Gong.

So what with me and my MA in Art History which is now a dissertation away – deadline September 29 (don’t know how to do an anxious-looking smiley) – we are quite a studious old pair.

Here’s some info on walking activity levels.

Walking and Activity Levels
    Researchers at Arizona State University have established baseline activity levels based on the number of steps taken each day. People who take fewer than 5,000 steps are considered to be sedentary or inactive. Those who take 5,000 to 7,499 steps daily have a low active lifestyle. Somewhat active people usually take 7,500 to 9,999 steps per day. People considered to be active take 10,000 or more steps per day.

Walking for Weight Loss
    About 10,000 steps is the equivalent of exercising strenuously for 30 minutes, or walking five miles per day. By following this routine, you’ll expend an additional 2,000 to 3,500 calories per week. One pound of fat equals 3,500 calories. The average person takes 2,300 to 3,000 steps per day. This is a dismal rate compared to the Amish people, who take an average of 19,000 steps per day. The Amish community has the lowest percentage of obese adults compared with the American population at large.

Thanks for post Samm.
    While training for the moonwalk a couple of years ago I paid attention to some stats. 10 000 steps for the average person is approximately 3 miles and should take just under an hour at a fair pace. We were encouraged to achieve 31/2 – 4 miles per hour which is quite fast. I live in a hilly area so it’s easy to add in a couple of steep inclines to up the effort.
    ‘Map my run’ is a very useful app which allows you to plan a route and know exactly the distance covered.
    Going for a gentle stroll ( or a wee donner as my dad calls it ) won’t cut it I’m afraid!

Hermajtomomi,
    She is doing post grad year as a Primary Teacher with the added burden of being in charge of the introduction of French to the school( her first degree is French) she originally had a career in translation( like yourself) plus travel and tourism. So we have more in common. Also I undertook QI Gong as a student which I loved, incredible surges of energy after each class.
    Good luck on your M A, my friend did the same degree, she is now specialist tutor in Russian Art and Culture.
    Yes SAMM, I stick with my minimum walking steps of 15,000 per day and occasionally hit 25,000 usually on a Monday. Did the last thousand today by stepping on my trampoline. By the way I wouldn’t recomment you try country dance skipping in public. It might get you the wrong sort of attention.
    Tartan lass – I will now call my dog walk a wee dog donner, teehee

Evening, all. I spent the day and night with an old friend yesterday, she was horrified that I was going to spend the day working today without eating until dinner time. She kept trying to push food on me to take…just some fruit…some leftover frittata, veggies…”it’s all low calorie, it’s not good for you to skip meals, you have to keep your system going…” Meanwhile I am down 30 pounds and she is struggling to lose the first 10 of 50. It was interesting to see the snacking yesterday. Food everywhere in the house, almonds, chips, crackers, fruit out on the counters, ready to grab a few whenever one walks by. I had some of the same habits prior to 5:2. Lord knows how many extra unsatisfying calories were being consumed.
    Saw this article today, maybe conventional wisdom is finally catching up?
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/08/21/is-breakfast-overrated/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

I am a total newbie to this wol and am loving reading all your posts. I am 55 and since being on HRT have gained over a stone despite making lots of changes to my diet such as limiting alcohol, switching to green tea (no coffee), making fruit smoothies for breakfast and loads of salad and veggies. Anyway the nurse I saw yesterday truly inspired me to try this diet and the way she talked about it rang true with me – you only have to think about dieting twice a week, one day at a time- and if I keep to my “normal” healthy eating regime I might just make a go of this. I need to do some exercise which I am aiming to do via walking for now and see how it goes. If it works I will send her the biggest bunch of flowers I can find as I feel so motivated right now. Sorry for the long introduction but hope some of you will help me along my long road ahead – I will definitely try to do the same for any of you if I can xxxxx Sue

Congratulations to you no your daughter, Jojo! Great accomplishment! I am always thrilled when dynamic young people join the teaching profession.

Welcome, Soobaloo! Sounds like you are on the right track, and you are sure to be successful!

Soobaloo
    Glad you’re taking steps to do what is doable.

The 500 calories are there if you want them , but not more for fast days.
    A 5:2 fast is start upon going to sleep. Waking up the next morning, have no more than 500 calories. Go to sleep again. When you wake up the fast is over.

I would master that if I were you before moving into other intermittent styles like 4:3 or ADF.
    I believe if you can master the 500 calorie days you’ll be empowered for the rest of your life.

Good luck.

Hi jojo,

Have I got this right? Your daughter is about to introduce French into a primary school? In which case, yee-ha, big row of smileys, I’m delighted to think of a primary school introducing very young kids to a foreign language. Do you know if this is widespread?

In fact it was the idea of teaching primary French that first took me back into higher education. This was back in the 70s, when this was a cutting-edge idea which sadly never really took off. However, one way and another I did learn a couple of sweet little French songs, with actions, that I was able to use with 1st-year secondary kids. One of them was about an elephant on a bike, which they loved.

It’s great, too, that your friend has become a specialist tutor in Russian Art and Culture after her MA. Does she work at Birkbeck by any chance? I don’t think mine will involve a change of career but already it’s made a huge difference to my work as a translator specialising in Arts and Media. I can handle arts-related stuff with much greater ease and as my colleague who supplies me with most of my assignments said of my last two, fairly complex, jobs, I obviously had complete command of the subject (thanks largely to Monsieur Google, where would we be without him and all the places he can lead us to?).

One thing that is going to happen, though, is a book. One of our MA assignments was a research project on a subject of our choice, designed to assess our research skills. I got lucky and my research turned up a series of such amazing interwoven stories, based on the Glasgow Tenement House, a National Trust for Scotland property in Glasgow, that my supervisor suggested that I rework the project report into a book for a general readership. But first there’s a dissertation to be got out of the way.

I’m glad that you know what Qi Gong is and even gladder that you practised it and found it energising. I understand it can also be particularly helpful to people with disabilities or health problems. In fact my hubby’s job-share is with people recovering from strokes, some of them as young as their 20s and 30s.

Ply
    If you having symptoms then perhaps shes right. But if not Keep On Keepin On.

I’ve been trying to incorporate what dr David pearlmutter is indicating.
    I may make changes for my fast days menus.

http://www.drperlmutter.com/

High hdl fat, low carb, Gluten free.

Eggs, salmon wild caught, pumpkin seeds, avocados, olive
    Aerobic exercise.

JoJo
    I forgot what I was going to say :p
    So good luck today !
    Oh– check you’re DHA in you’re menu . Ply too.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docosahexaenoic_acid#Potential_health_effects

http://www.webmd.com/diet/your-omega-3-family-shopping-list

Basically if you’re not getting a 30min or longer aerobic exercise for the day . Then you may consider getting a full dietary dose of DHA For hippocampus health.

I will be adjusting my menu to have either the aerobic activity or the DHA. Seems the DHA will fit nicely from the link with the shopping list for fasting days. A doable variety.
    I’m assuming these are pieces of. The puzzle to avoid alzhiemers. Where as the gluten free , lowers inflammation in the brain to avoid dementia.
    KOKO

P.S.
    Still29. Dark chicken meat has the zinc in it!

SAMM, the only symptoms I have are weight loss, smaller clothes, and high energy, so my friend is definitely not right! More WW brainwashing, I think.

Hi all,
    Damn it, I just lost my post when it was nearly finished.
    Yes Hermajtomomi, languages compulsory in uk primary schools from this Sept, however using qualified Language teachers is not guaranteed, sadly. I have taught pre-schoolers French, Spanish and Italian for years, plus other languages to include the culture of children attending – always used songs, many of which I have written myself. Please give me a link to the ones you use though, every one helps.
    Ply- my sympathy, if I hear once more, fasting is bad for you I will scream. A friend I was walking with yesterday was discussing the merits of a good fry up, hilarious, she had to stop four times when we went up a set of steps due to lack of breath, she is of course obese. I tried my best to tell her about the risks associated with bacon and sausages but she had put the shutter down.
    SAMM – what is DHA? Please use full term in the first instance, we also have newbies here who may not know some abbreviations. ADF is Alternate Day Fasting – and it must only be done for a maximum of three months. I didn’t last two weeks because it messed with my weekend too much. It’s very tough but effective if you are stuck.
    Seeing both my kids over the next three days so I hope to have some quality time with them both. I am acutely aware that they will both be living on the other side of the world within two years so I need to make the most of my time with them. At least I will be a well travelled cyber granny.
    Voltarol pain relief on my hip no good last night, dreadful night, so back to pain killers tonight, may cut it back to one though.
    So bored today, waiting for a plumber, burst pipe under the floor at my old house. I hope he shows up soon before I hit the biscuit tin, there is no fruit or veg here, I don’t even want to look inside the fridge. My ex husband has a sweet tooth and high fat diet.
    I have missed this sea view since I moved out though, it’s great to sit in a comfy chair and watch the sailing boats drift by on a lustrous blue sparkly ocean, above it all fluffy white clouds are barely moving. But I should really cut the grass, it looks a mess and it will keep me occupied. Bye for now
    Jojo

Hi jojo

Delighted to hear languages will be compulsory in primary school. Of course it would help if qualified French/Spanish etc teachers were employed. It means my lovely wee great nephew, now five, will have the chance to learn a little bit of French or whatever is on offer at his school. It will be exciting to see if he he’ll be one of the third generation to have the family language gene. His elder brother certainly has and is doing French and Italian GCSE and it’s not impossible that he will continue further.

The wee one has a good ear for music, which may not be totally irrelevant to language learning. I even have an old shot of him taken on Facebook where at age 2 he can be seen hurtling around the room singing along to Vivaldi’s Gloria (his mum’s a choral singer),pausing now and then to check his toy bendy-bus. He’s remarkably in tune – well, most of the time anyway – especially in the “In excelsis Deo” bit, which he pronounces with remarkable accuracy.

Here are a couple of links, which of course you or your daughter may have found already. The elephant song is sung very enthusiastically by an infant, but the tune’s not altogether clear. Maybe you can compose your own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emddb2ZQpKQ – the elephant song.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0INguuO9WM I learned and taught this one in reverse, starting with the fish, but it works either way.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjhQvv9kexk (This is a compilation. There are lots more links to French nursery rhyme sites on the same YouTube page).

Sorry to hear the Voltarol didn’t work. There’s a chance DeepHeat might.

Hi Jojo
    Isn’t it strange how some people react when they notice you are a bit lighter – a friend who I hadn’t seen for about six months came over yesterday, fixed me with a steely eye and said “have you lost weight” in a very accusatory tone. It’s funny really as she admits to needing to lose some herself – it’s as if people think you shouldn’t be losing if they aren’t and it is somehow letting the side down! I did of course explain about some of the other benefits of.the FD, and will just have to see if she takes it on board.

Incidentally I am taking anti inflammatories for a shoulder problem and was intrigued to know about the effect on the metabolism? I have my 7 year old grandson staying the week so am hoping all the running around (me) is counteracting the biscuit nibbling ….

Jojo, incidentally, re the Spiralizer, have you seen the Skinnytaste website which does a lot of Spiralized veg, the latest being http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/08/raw-spiralized-zucchini-noodles-with.html.

Hi Cheeseplease and hermajtomomi,
    Thanks for links I will have a good look next week as I am away this weekend. I must try really hard to be sensible but my son is a bad influence, food wise. He is talking about taking me to the Notting Hill Festival, sounds fun. Just giving some thought to what clothing to wear and take, weather report not brilliant.

I think everyone deals with medication differently, I have never been happy to take any. I get very sick with anaesthetic, even stronger reactions at times. I get constipation and water retention with antihistamine, painkillers and anti inflamatories, as much as 6 lb increase which immediately drops after the tablets out of my system. Interestingly I have the same issues with toxins found in farmed fish(salmon)and processed foods(preservatives). So I am an ideal candidate for raw food diet. I am very careful about rinsing all fruit and veg too.

I will try the deep heat pads hermajtomomi, can’t hurt. Hopefully I will have the steroid jab next week.

Have a great weekend all.

Hiya all from bonnie Scotland

It has been one of these days where you are looking out the window waiting for things to be delivered . My hubbys meds from the chemist . My son too has been watching for a courier to pick up a parcel to be returned to Amazon . Meds came but as usual the courier didn’t turn up and have to rearrange the day . Anyway I have decided to do back to back fasting . yesterday and today and really pleased with myself . I usually et between 1000 and 1200 calories so I tried to keep my 2 days to a quarter of that .
    I had white cabbage and spag bol without the spag lol . then sugar free jelly . also had marigold bullion drink which I love .
    As most of you know we are going to The Lake district to a friends on the 31st and the 1st . My RA was too bad to go last year but the 5.2 is making so much difference .RA now bearable and not agonising . 16 pounds off has made so much difference just so hard to get my head round . You all sound so positive on this thread and that keeps me going 🙂 … thank you

Wee xx

Hi Cheeseplease, why are people so mean? You would hope that a good friend would be glad on your behalf and if he or she needed to shed a pound or twenty ask you how you went about it.

It sounds as though it’s sometimes a hard life being jojo. You strike me as someone who is probably very good at devising coping strategies, but there must be moments when it all gets a bit much. Do you ever punch pillows? I do and it does help. Hope the deep heat pads work. Having lived in London for most of my life, I’ve never yet made it to the Notting Carnival Hill. If you do decide to go, have fun. You might fancy sampling some Caribbean food.

Congratulations on losing 16 lbs, weemam. You must be delighted at the effect 5:2 is having on your RA. Have a great time in the Lake District.

thanks hermajtomomi
    Jojo tires me out just reading what she is doing . I used to have loads of energy . I loved to paper and paint and DIY . I would try anything , I also loved to knit and Did Aran and fishermans Knits . hands won’t let me knit now BUT as for the others …watch this space lol .
    our youngest granddaughter is 20 .She was commenting on how good I was looking yesterday BUT said” nanny at 72 should you bother about slimming” My answer was ” sweetheart it doesn’t matter what age you are .You want to look and feel good” Love her to bits xx

I’m right with you, wee.

Even though it’s said with love, it is a tad annoying when younger friends and rellies suggest that we shouldn’t bother “at our age”. The day I stop bothering is the day they put me in my box. My lot learned long ago that hermaj can’t be doing with all that – and it seems to have worked.

I’ll be watching this space to catch up with your post-holiday projects. Would there be any other way of continuing to make beautiful things that wouldn’t tax your hands?

Basically it’s the omega3 found in fish.
    I’ll point to wild caught salmon.

Basically it’s effect on the hippocampus- at the age related phase.
    1 you can exercise 30min of aerobic activity to better you’re chances on avoiding alzhiemers.
    2 you can ingest DHA – an omega3 – Wildcaught salmon is what dr perlmutter point to. I suppose I’d better look into how to buy from credible and responsible salmon catchers. * if were to make an assumption and take a wild guess? I’d put money on the vitamin d fish like salmon and catfish as being the best benefit fish in the long run.

So my take on it is I’m less likely to do aerobic exercise on fast days. If I choose my fast days to ingest the DHA that leaves the other days when not eating it to get from exercise. Very simple.

Also perlmutter indicates that humans are sensitive to some degree to glutens inflammation in the hippocampus . Where the main stream hasn’t caught on yet. He says going gluten free should better the odds avoiding dementia .

Ihadto take a step back and look what his recommendation would look like on menu.

3 days eating DHA and low carb , 4 days of gluten free foods and aerobic exercise .

It occurs to me that’s in line with a 50lbs weight loss plan.

——
    I wore my tightest clothes today. I don’t know why, sorta attention seeking. Im not used to getting checked out! I just wish it were women LOL. I’m so clueless. I did not know a mans belt could indicate that!
    Oh well. I’m trying to have fun with weight loss. But really I’m mostly interested in the health benefits. As I’m very devoted to my wife. She had the surgery, the cancer is out, waiting on her next steps to be supportive of.

Basically I view my obesity as an opprotunity to use fast days as healing days, and feed days as exercise days. Want to be here for my daughter for as long as possible. Still walking insane numbers on my step counter. Back to skipping rope 5 minutes just before eating. I’m happy with my efforts. I very glad I had taken the N.EA.T. challenge to heart. Trying to sit only four hours a day now. Trying to get back to afternoon naps of 20 min.

P.S.
    @jojo
    About the skins. Thinking of it in another way .
    They say the vitamins are most concentrated where the colors are. Especially in fruits and vegetables . Apple for instance the core is basically sugars, it’s the peel that so beneficial.

From a fasting perspective I could say it like this. I look forward to reaching goal so I can enjoy the whole apple again. I’ve been using an apple peeler , the kind that rotates the apple, but user it to nearly as thick as French fry with skin on. Discarding the majority of the core. On feed days. I found that I can still eat apple in very small amounts and not get Into the 200s for blood sugars. The same for potato I make my own potato snaks on the same peelers skin on discarding the core, but my when my daughter sees the peeler is out , she’s close by to get the skinless portions. I’m ok with her eating fruits and vegetables skinless or not!

It’s Friday. My fish day!
    Salmon with skin on!

Viewing 50 posts - 1,351 through 1,400 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.