Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 13,001 through 13,050 (of 16,657 total)

• Pemti,

Your description of the food on offer there is truly mouth-watering, and I’ll be interested to hear how the smoking goes. I have a big veg patch, polytunnel and a couple of glasshouses, but live in north-west England where summer sometimes doesn’t bother to turn up and the growing season isn’t long enough!

Jo,

I hope I won’t have offended you, and if I’ve said anything unjust then I do apologize. I know from personal experience that it’s easy to find reasons to fail and excuses for not fulfilling our true potential. I can always rely on my OH to annoy me out of my comfort zone!

Happy- you are right and I am not expecting sympathy, I know that most of you long term Fasters understand. I am certain it’s time to do the two month 800 cal version and in that frame of mind I am going to decline all social invitations for that period. I am going to plan a quite repetitive calorie counted menu, March and April will be interesting. I am hoping it sorts out my self control. Anyone want to join me?
    Fortunately the 2 ounces of cheese with crackers I ate yesterday did not effect me which was unexpected. I was very dissapointed in myself.
    I think that I am not doing my best now I am no longer living alone with no temptation.
    I spent today clearing out the fridge and freezer. Cupboards are not too bad, no chocolate or crisps.
    I have been very good today, just a bowl of home made chicken soup and an apple. Fish and veg for dinner, no carbs. I had an excellent game of bowls today which cheered me up enormously especially as I was Skip. I also resisted the sweets and chocolate offered in a Spanish Treasure Hunt this afternoon. The teacher has asked me to move to the next level class but it conflicts with another activity so I had to decline. Good to know she is pleased with my progress.
    I have two interviews to attend for dog walking so I may be increasing my daily walking. One early morning 7 days a week and one lunch time for 3 days per week. I could be doing 25,000 daily steps which will not harm my activity level calorie burning.
    Amazon- I wish I enjoyed cooking like you, I just do it because it’s usually a healthier option.

Hello Fast Trackers
    Nicky Emel and Aussie O in South Australia Nama in Victoria Bay in ACT PVE in NSW WiWi & Barata in NZ and Jojo SAMM HappyNow Amazon Herm Lizzy Ply Tartan lass Smiffy Lor_PA CakeyWakey Sarah103 HealthCoachB Tessy pen nib Iona72 Pentimento pranayama and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) πŸ˜‰

So You Think English Is Easy?
    Read to the end . . … a new twist
    1) The bandage was wound around the wound.
    2) The farm was used to produce produce .
    3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
    4) We must polish the Polish furniture.
    5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.
    6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
    7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present .
    8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
    9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
    10) I did not object to the object.
    11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
    12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row
    13) They were too close to the door to close it.
    14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.
    15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
    16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
    17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
    18) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
    19) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
    20) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
    γ€€
    Let’s face it – English is a crazy language. There is no egg in eggplant, nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple.
    English muffins weren’t invented in England or French fries in France . Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren’t sweet, are meat. We take English for granted.
    But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.
    And why is it that writers write but fingers don’t fing, grocers don’t groce and hammers don’t ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn’t the plural of booth, beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese? One index, 2 indices? Doesn’t it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend? If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?
    If teachers taught, why didn’t preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
    Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane. In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell?
    How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which, an alarm goes off by going on.
    English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all. That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.
    γ€€
    PS. and one of my personal favorites- why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?

Have a happy weekend all you beautiful losers πŸ˜‰
    Peace RT

Jojo what is this?? ‘two month 800 cal version’?

Hi everyone, your old pal checking in to say hello! I keep up with reading the pots, and I am always appreciative of advice, empathetic toward your struggles, and happy for your successes, whether personal, professional, or health-related.

I have been maintaining for awhile, but find about 8 pounds have crept back on since last summer. Same reasons as ever, busy, stress, et. al. January is always a hard month for me emotionally.

Anyway, I just read the Daily Mail pieces about MM’s 8-week Blood Sugar Diet, and I am up for joining you, Jojo and anyone else. I have been thinking a lot about “Do what’s doable” (thanks, SAMM), and fasting has just not been doable for me lately. What has been doable is drinking lots of water and sticking to 16:8, and that success feels good. I believe that the 800-calorie 2-month plan will be doable for me as well, and getting away from the sugar is necessary. (I recommend Fed Up on Netflix as well!) I downloaded the 2-weeks worth of menus, and plan to follow them and then repeat. After a few weeks, I will incorporate some fast days.

I am starting on Monday, February 15th and will post regularly for accountability.
    Happy Valentine’s Day, all. Love you guys.

Hi fast friends

The forum is busy this (SH) morning.

Yes, Happy, brutally honest!
    However, JoJo, I wonder if the 800 calorie for two months is the best approach. I can”t say that I have read up about it, but off my head it feels like those restrictive DIETS not WOL where cravings overcome the willpower. It seems to me that 400/1200 alternating days are kinder. If social events intervene, there is always the midday to midday approach possible. I eat 3 meals maximum in 2 days and regulate that. I am losing slowly though upping the exercise is a way to enjoy the outdoors and not think about eating, and not so much a losing weight strategy.
    I also lose weight when I drink water- lots of it.
    I know I am teaching grandmother to suck eggs- but it is a reminder to me as much as anything.
    Be kind to yourself and resolute! I would love to have you working in tandem with me and I will be back in Europe as from 8 March, so we can work together in a time zone which is only 1 hour different. I still have my 1 June goal, 2 kilos per month is doable, even 4.4 lbs for you.

My philosophy comes straight out of Alice through the Looking Glass:

” The rule is: Jam yesterday, jam tomorrow, but never jam today!” Long live the ADF.

xxWiwi

Hi Jojo and Tangatawiwi. I understand Jojo’s draw to the 800 diet (The Blood Sugar Diet). It’s designed to deal fast with fatty liver, poorly working pancreas and blood sugar problems, including Type 2 diabetes, so its aims are specific to that range. In the book Dr Mosley has a discussion of the safety of fast weightloss (research indicates it’s fine). He also says not for those with Diabetes Type 1. I’m considering it too, but not sure I could do it effectively, so hoping my high blood sugar will come down with 5:2.

Love ” jam yesterday……” One of my father’s favourite quotes, now in a whole new context!

Kia ora Wiwi,
    I’m very new to 5:2 but I’d like to be your silent follower… I love your talk! …at least while you are in Europe anyway. I agree that 800-cal per day does not seem to me like a WOL. I ‘think’ we all want to embrace a lifestyle change vs a ‘diet’, yes? For me, the ‘work’ I need to do is all in my head, just stupid head-games-work; work to overcome and resist imbedded bad habits and replace them with self-loving, healthy, even FUN new better habits that create a smart way of eating and moving my body. I know this sounds like “La La” talk but I really believe this is the way to go. I just don’t want my health program to be a burden to me but rather I’d like it to become as regular, comfortable even unconscious as my current ‘bad habits’ have been these last many years (the sticky little f–kers)!

And I was always taught that work-equals-love and love-equals-work so this is just a bit of work like we’ve all done all our lives, yes? So we just get up and go to work like usual only this time it’s totally and completely for ourselves and we are even training ourselves for this lifelong work/love WOL. I’m so silly-excited about being smaller and fitter and more limber and more pain-free. It just can’t be OK for my sore joints to carry an extra 45-lbs all day every day…they are gonna be SO DAMN happy when I get rid of the excess weight of all this FAT…and when I hit my end-goal I’m gonna buy me a size 10 pretty dress! Yup, I sure am.

Oh I can hardly write for the want to get up ‘n dance, sigh, Ella’s on the Irish Radio singing from 1956 “I Get a Kick Out of You” how apropos! Bye for while, stay strong folks..

Hi Guys,
    Great to have you on board Ply and great to hear from you again. Penti- you may have gathered that Michael Mosely has written a book on lowering sugar in your blood. He does this through a 8 week plan of calorie restriction to 800 cals daily.

I have lost 42 lbs, that is a success and I am focussed on that. I have also lost the same stone three times in the last two years, that is the problem I need to rectify.
    I have always changed my diet plan when it is not working. It’s silly not to. I have learnt a great deal about my body and its reactions to different foods. It led me to cut bread and alcohol. I have also increased my exercise levels dramatically but probably not enough. I probably need to do more on that front. Currently I am trying to increase my walking speed to improve my fitness.
    I try lots of different activities to avoid boredom which inevitably leads me to eating. I know my bad eating habits are linked to my negative emotions so I try to keep positive and deal with problems head on.
    But a new year leads to a new programme and hopefully success.
    Happy- don’t fret I am tough nut and know my faults. I think it is important to be honest because other Fasters may be having the same problems with yoyoing and relate to this thread, join it because they know we all have the same problems. We can support each other and share successes and failures.
    One lesson I have learnt and live with as a way of life now is 19/5, less hours to eat make life much easier. The other lesson is drinking 4 pints of water per day, very healthy habit and great for the skin. So you see Wiwi I have kept some good and sensible habits. I think daily 800 cals is doable on the foods I eat daily and it should lead to a better weightloss.

Hi Jo, Ply and anyone else considering the Blood Sugar Diet.

I have read the book twice and looked at the research and I intend to join you for at least four weeks.

I came to this forum having lost 17 kg and three clothing sizes, very happy with myself and knowing that I would have more trouble maintaining than losing the weight. This has proved to be true. I am grateful for the support, both tough love (thanks Purple and Happy) and the softer kind that I have received through the forum. I have never contributed to any cyber talk other than 5:2.

Like Ply, I have been having difficulties in maintaining the lost weight. I lose it on fast days and very slowly regain on non fast days. Being totally free from sugar and white carbs is not having the impact I hoped. So a reset of eating habits is definitely in order. Hence the BSD. I intend to go on the BSD for the first 4 weeks, as a minimum, as I only need to lose 4 kg. I will then see where I am courtesy of blood tests etc.

Nicky, as a fellow Australian, you are probably aware that in our 70 th year we are entitled to all sorts of free or low cost benchmark testing, eg, in four weeks time I’m going to have a swag of blood tests done, and a Dexa bone density scan.

Wiwi, it is indeed a study of one, and what works for me may not work for you. Keep up your great work. 🌺🌺 I am happy that the research shows that those who lose weight fast often can keep it off longer, contrary to myth. It also shows that 800 calories of nutritious food a day is doable, because the cravings go away. It’s important to have a minimum of 2 litres of water a day while doing the BSD.

We do have to permanently reset the amount of food we eat, and the type of food we eat. I am also doing at least 10,000 steps a day. Some days I can manage 20,000 steps when we play golf.

Sunshine to the NH. πŸŒžπŸŒžπŸŒžβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ

Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺🌺🌺

Great that you are joining me Bay
    I must get on and read the book before the end of this month. I must also clear any products ‘ not allowed’ from my cupboards and fridge. No point starting a new if the old temptations are still hanging around. Thank goodness I don’t have a sweet tooth. However from what I have learned there are lots of savoury produce with hidden sugars. Knowledge is power!

Good luck Girls!

I won’t be joining you this time round, but I’ll be cheering from the sidelines.

Jo, I’ve also read the book, but need to re-read as I think there may be lessons for all of us in there.

8 weeks is a long time, but there are other options not just 800 cals a day, and it is compatible with 5:2. And as Bay notes, you don’t have to do 8 weeks if you achieve your goals sooner.

It is a commitment, but with a promise of hopefully seeing a good weight loss in relatively short time. And I think that would give you a real boost?

Morning/evening all,

Interesting discussion regarding the 8 week diet, I was going to abbreviate it to BS but thought some might take offence πŸ˜‰

Good luck to those of you giving it a go, let’s hope a new regime gets that weight shifting again, and I’ll be interested to hear how you get on.

I’m doing the second day of my second B2B this week. Looking forward to two consecutive non FDs at the weekend and have planned a BMR menu for both days.

I need to start walking again as I’ve not done much exercise this week apart from the gym. Reading about Wiwi’s efforts has inspired me πŸ˜ƒ

Have a good one everybody 😜

Happy,
    It’s what I need to get back to lowest and to start trend down effectively. I know many people are satisfied with one pound per week but I am not one of them. Although I fasted three days per week in Jan ( 500 cal version) and 1200 on other days I only lost 3 lbs in the month. I had 7 meals out during that month wher I mostly ordered fish and veg. If I can’t see better results it will lead to frustration and depression and basically a food bender albiet mild compared to ones I have had in the past. Also I get back on the wagon more quickly these days whereas I used to go months with my head in the sand and my scales hidden away. Now I weigh daily or at worst weekly to keep focussed. Like Bay and Ply I feel the biggest battle is maintaining because basically I still eat too much. 800 cals per day for eight weeks should retrain my stomach and brain to be happy on less calories.
    I don’t foresee a huge issue with ‘sugar’ withdrawal as I suspect that has happened already plus I don’t eat much convenience food, just the occasional ww soup if I am in a rush and don’t have homemade soup in my freezer. Meals out are a big issue so I will need to refuse, it’s just too difficult as a vegetarian to get dishes without sauces that you can check calorie and sugar content.
    Meal out planned tonight and Sunday plus my bowls long weekend at the end of the month so I am starting BSD in March. I ordered the book online last night.
    Thanks for your good wishes, I really appreciate the support and the programme partners. Hey Smithy, where are you? Fancy joining us? No wine though!

Jo,

3lbs in January IS a good result, although I appreciate you’d like to see more for your efforts, particularly since it doesn’t take you to a new PB.

I think you need to read the book a couple of times and see what you think. Compliance may be harder since you haven’t got the motivation of reversing diabetes (or even pre-diabetes?), but it is an investment in a healthy future and will hopefully be the kick start you need.

I wouldn’t necessarily cancel all social engagements since you might then start resenting the BSD? But you will have to make careful choices. And even if you fail 10% of the time that will still be 90% success!

I second Happy, Jojo (good committee member, me!) in the 3lb loss – ANY loss being positive. Good luck to all the BSD, don’t count me in, thanks.

We had another lovely meeting with Wiwi and her OH this afternoon. Amazing the friendships that are developing through this forum. And it’s great to see my OH on the downward trend after the excesses of Christmas and Sydney.

Great that the Aussie government give the over-70s a full check-up, Bay. Take full advantage of this, ladies, and mark the progress. There’s nothing like that on this side of the ditch.

Social Eating: It was not as hard yesterday as I thought it would be to keep reasonable about my caloric count ‘sensible’ with TWO meal based meetings in one day. But wonderfully they had smart-food available …. Hmmm these were both ‘women’ meetings, no boys about and the cooks were women… One offered fresh leafy salads with water-tuna, tomatoes, shredded carrots, steamed beets, as optional choices, balsamic vinegar, local olive oil, bowls of fresh herbs, very light (no cream) homemade soups, the supper event was a Curry night …MUCH harder but I was able to resist my TOTAL favourite Indian foods: rice and naan bread, enjoyed picking out the flavoured meat from the yummy sauces and drank tons of water at both events…I stayed just under 1300-cal not too bad…rushed home and did my ‘walk’ in between the meals. JAYSUS such a lot of concentration I have to put into this each day. Every food moment is has become thought-filled session for me. No more casual ‘eat at will’…..those were the days, eh?

It’s called “mindful eating”, Pent, and it is what we all need to do, every day, for the rest of our lives. Eat regularly with a “naturally ” skinny person and you’ll see they do this all the time, whether it’s WHAT they eat, or, more often, HOW MUCH they eat.
    Anyone can get fat: that’s easy.
    Everyone can be slim, too: but it takes vigilance.
    I think it’s worth it. P πŸ˜€

Good morning, all! HappyNow, I agree that the lack of immediate health issues makes things a little bit more difficult. I have no blood sugar issues, but I am going to follow this plan. I tend to do better on a very scripted and structured plan, especially when trying to get back on track. I keep a healthy weight mostly for vanity at this point, even though I understand the long term benefits for health. I am just fortunate that I have no issues yet! The book is not yet available in the US, so I will have to read it when I am halfway through the 8 weeks.
    Jojo, I know you are an all-or-nothing gal who likes to plan forward (takes one to know one!), but I keep coming back to “do what’s doable.” The BSD is probably not as strict as some of the regimes you have committed too before, and I encourage you to follow it as is for at least several weeks and not try to put yourself on a stricter plan.
    Penti, great job on the social eating! Being deliberate and mindful of our choices is one of the best lessons I have learned, Ns it is helpful in all areas of life!
    Keep up the good work, Amazon, et al!

Thanks Purple “mindful-eating’ Like that. My OH is angular and healthy he goes coo-coo when he gains 1-kg. He always picks off the crispy fat from his food which my former (pre-5:2) self picked right off his plate with a long experienced reach of the arm with attached fork and ate every bit with deep abiding pleasure). But recently one supper-time I realized that I served him (6ft-190lb body) the same portion as I served myself (5’6” and 187lb body) HE works or plays physically most of the day doing something active and I didn’t (at the time). What a SHOCK. My portions are now FAR less than half of what I previously ate and I make better food choices and I MOVE more. Yes life-long vigilance is the action for sure,…….. like any addict does.

Back from the gym, boy was it hard this morning but I got through it.
    I followed it up with food shopping and bought venison steak for my FD dinner today. I’ll have it with veg and some salad.
    I got some beautiful fish and prawns for tomorrow and a steak for Sunday and a big juicy mango for desserts. That’ll keep me out of trouble….

One more contribution of my 2 cents worth…make the process your goal rather than the product. One you have control over, the other you don’t. So make your goal,”Follow my eating plan for two weeks,” rather than, “Lose 3 pounds in two weeks.”

Hi ply,
    that’s great advice and I’m going to use it for what I’m doing at the moment. I’ve been over-eating on non FDs so a menu plan for every day is in order. Hopefully I can stick to it for four weeks which should get me back into good habits.

I just ate a slice of hot pepperoni pizza, now on my FD that I made for my husband’s early supper, shameful moment this is. I’m going to my room for a while for a think.

Penti,
    We all have these moments, luckily pizza never tempts me. I have spent the entire afternoon making buffet foods for my neighbours party tonight( on a fast day, agony). But I only had a cuppa as I know I will have something tonight.
    I have already decided I will have a chicken drumstick and two vol Le vents, nothing else. I won’t drink either because that would weaken my resolve. Hopefully my resolve is good.
    Actually I weighed in lunchtime, before eating and after bowls and my walk, down another pound so I must not ruin my effort.
    Ply- if you want me to send you the book from here just let me know on Facebook, happy to get you a copy. I assume any sugar free diet will do? But I think they restrict starch veg too which is a bit mean. I will try to summarise on the thread for you. Perhaps Bay and Hsppy could outline a few do’s and ‘don’ts.
    Have a wonderful weekend chums

Well this is the website, so should at least give an overview https://thebloodsugardiet.com

Also see a series of articles in the daily mail (I’ve not read them, but they seem to give a bit more detail). This is a link to one of them, and there appear to be links to the others which walk you through it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3407500/Eat-beat-diabetes-week-week-watch-weight-fall-Dr-Michael-Mosley-explains-changes-experience-follow-800-calorie-diet.html

Thanks, gals. I read the Daily Mail articles and checked out the website the other day, so I think I can manage without the book for s few weeks. The Daily Mail included two weeks of daily menus which I will be using, so I think I am good to go for Monday!

Hi Ply,

You’ve probably got as much as you’d get from the book! Bay has read it a couple of times, and is planning on doing it so I suspect she will be more au fait with the key points than me. I’m just storing all these things in reserve for when I go through the menopause πŸ™‚

hello Fast friends*
    I managed to sleep until nearly 5am this morning.I had the pleasure of watching dawn arrive over Wellington city from our high perched house.
    My water/black coffee/black tea only fast is going well, I will make the 40 hours, but not more, for social reasons. It was great to meet up with Mr and Mrs Barata yesterday though i had to forego the wine . They are looking so well
    Weight down 600g this morning, so water only fasts are quite radical really.

I love Portugal, Pentimento, though I haven’t been further south than Lisbon. We are going to Porto in June for another visit. I want to visit the Duoro wine producing area. I am reading a new book called ‘The Highest Mountains in Portugal’- quite charming and by the author of ‘Life of Pi’. We live most of the year about 100km north of Avignon in France, though NZ remains the place in my heart. You must have a nice winter climate down in the south of Europe. Do you speak Portuguese? I can kind of understand it, but not in detail.

I am planning my break – fast which I will have at midday today. Eggs and peppers I think.

The good news is that it is tomorrow, and so the rule applies: ‘Jam tomorrow’!
    Substitute egg for jam.

I am feeling a bit floaty actually, due to the 3 cups of tea I have drunk, but no worries.

xx Wiwi

Mmm…drunk on tea, Wi? Interesting high!
    Well done on your continued downward slide.πŸ˜†
    Spoken like a true educator, Ply. “It’s the process, not the product”. Absolutely. Without recognising what we do on the road, we will not get to the goal point.
    Happy weekend folk. P 😊

I’ll third Ply’s sentiment! Intermittent fasting is a way of life. We do it for health and weight loss/ maintenance. It’s good to have a goal, something to aim for. But it’s important along the journey to stop and take stock. Look forward, look back, but appreciate the moment.

I set out wanting to get to 10st, but I didn’t set a timescale. I had no idea if I’d get there, or how long it might take. I embarked on it as an adventure, with a hoped for destination, but no set route or timetable. I took pleasure in the small changes, the shrinking, the too tight clothes that fitted, the realisation that I didn’t have to finish my plate, the hill walking with less strain on my knees, less body wobble as I ran, etc.

I reached my goal in April 2014. There hasn’t been a day since then that I haven’t enjoyed being slim.
    There hasn’t been a day since then that I haven’t had to think about what I’m eating, and whether I’ll need to offset an overeat by fasting or perhaps just eating less the next day.

So I struggle still. In that respect, maintenance (destination) is no different from the journey. Today I wanted to eat cake, but I was weak in the week and ate cake (from the freezer πŸ™ ). I’m an adult and I now know that I can’t have my cake and eat it (twice πŸ™‚ ). So even though it’s not a fast day, it’s still jam tomorrow!

12;30 and I am off to bed but had to give you a laugh….

It was so funny with dad yesterday was his 98th Birthday . Took him home to try and coax him to let me cut his hair . He was having none of it and wouldn’t even take his jacket off lol . We had some fun with him and took some photos .A wee while tater we got our jackets on to take him for a drive . I couldn’t find the car keys . ( I always put them in the same place) Asked Dad if he had them NOOO he said asked him to check pockets Nooo he said ( 3 times.) had everything out of the back cupboard where I keep the hair trimmers .Ross and I looked in the bin . looked in drawers , looked down the side of the cushions . Getting really worried . Then about 3/4 of an hour later he put his hand in his pocket and guess what? THERE THEY WERE lol . I had checked his pockets too πŸ™‚ . Phew !!!!. he just refused to give me them as he said they were HIS keys . Got him to check again and he had his own keys in his pockets too ( old ones but he thinks they are his house keys .) panic over we were all laughing but Ross and I I were shattered . Mind you I am just glad we still have him .to loose things lol . It WAS a lovely day though xxxx

Wee xx

Good evening All, well early morning actually. I went to a party and am just retiring. I was very sensible, drinking sparkling water and eating as planned. I was wearing black and gold, Art Deco look which was very flattering and several people commented on my new slim figure. Quite amusing since I have actually gained since I saw them last. I decided not to admit this and agree that I am losing weight and enjoying life( well that is true). I danced all evening to a group of female singers, local girls. The are dressed in retro style swing clothing with suitable hair styles. They sing 50’s to current day music. It was very enjoyable( Posted a video clip on Facebook)
    There was far too much food there, the birds will do well tomorrow.
    Looking forward to weigh in tomorrow, 14,800 steps today.
    Happy- Thanks for the links
    Wiwi- I hear Wellington is enjoying a very warm summer. I have visit the region in Portugal that you were referring to, a friend of my is a wine producer in the Duoro region. Enjoy your trip, it’s a wonderful area. As I recall Portuguese is similar to Spanish which I believe you speak well, but they don’t like it if you make that comparison, in fact my friends family rejected the notion entirely. They also made a homemade brandy that was, very, very, very strong- it went straight to my head.

Morning/evening all,

I am a very happy bunny as I’ve lost three pounds πŸ˜ƒ

Great incentive to stick with my plan.

Have a fab weekend everybody 😜

Jojo Amazon, congratulations on restraint and success! Weigh in day today…

Good Morning All,
    Woken up with a pulled muscle in my lower back so moving slow today. No further weightloss on scales but OK with that as probably retaining some water, drank a huge amount at party last night to keep me away from the food and alcohol.
    Just read the Daily Mail Article on the BPD and feel that it will be quite easy for me to adopt. I really like the that you try to think of three good things each day to maintain positivity, I think I will record these as it will be an interesting read over eight weeks. I like to think I don’t rely on approval from others and that my goal is to do things for my own sake, we will see, will it be a glance in the mirror or a compliment that has a more positive effect. I read the menu plan which is far too complicated for me and requires far too many ingredients, I will keep it as simple as possible. Although this may be one of the reasons I keep eating things I should avoid. Maybe I will focus on one dish per day that is new to me and requires a bit of cookery effort.
    Amazon- well done you 3 lb off, great result.
    Penti- good luck on the weigh in.
    Right off to walk the pooches and then tackle the cross trainer if my back allows it.
    Have a great weekend
    Good Luck Ply, please report your results.

2lbs 4oz OMG imagine if I increase my exercise? I think it’s in part the no drink for Lent contributing.. can’t wait for next Saturday…I know I shud buy scales but the Vetanarian scales are very accurate & digital.

Penti, well done on your loss but don’t rely on exercise increasing your rate of weight loss as you need to create a deficit of over 3000 calories to lose 1lb and that would be a lot of exercise. I can spend the morning at the gym, work really hard and use 700 calories maximum. Think of exercise as a means to fitness and toning your body, and the buzz you get from doing it is worth the effort πŸ˜ƒ

Jojo, if you are going to follow BS diet don’t you think it would be a better idea to follow it to the letter for four weeks before you even think about tweaking it? It may mean making more of an effort buying and preparing food, but surely it’ll be worth it when you step on the scales and if you are declining social invitations you’ll have more time to devote to it.

Yes yes youre 100% correct about the amount of cardio exersise needed to burn a kg of fat.. and from experience I know the cardio + stretches + weights tone the body im just pleased for today!

Woohoo, great job, Amazon and Penti! Hope to be posting a loss next week!

Amazon,
    Just take a look at the menu and you will see what I mean. Three special dishes everyday, that is a lot of ingredients and preparation time. With my schedule it would be impossible time wize and probably too expensive to buy all those ingredients for one person and expect to use them up before they go off. I will so my best, let you know how it pans out. My store cupboard is not exhaustive, just a few herbs and spices. I tend to buy fresh every few days rather than stock up.
    Also I don’t get the pleasure you do from cooking, I would rather be playing bowls. We must celebrate our diversity. Now if ?I could have a personal chef, no problem!

Hi everyone, I’ve been a silent “watcher” this past week or so. Finally had a successful fast day yesterday (of all days!) which is quite unusual for me as weekends are usually TDEE type days, still as suggested I’ve been weighing daily which to begin was making me panic (for want of a better word) and so I’ve waited until I’ve got the panic under control (hence the FD yesterday) and the scales slowly moving in the right direction again. I know it was all in my mind and I tried to calm down (in my mind that is) however every time I’d fail and so the scales just would not move (recorded 6 straight days at the same weight) and now today they’ve moved downwards for the first time since starting to weigh daily and so I believe my “panic” has resolved.

Great to read all your posts and all your doings. I thought about JoJo’s 800cal challenge but I don’t want to upset things now I’ve started going back in the right direction as I don’t feel I’m ready for that just yet.

Wee glad to hear you had a blast with your Dad on his birthday πŸ˜€

RT love the jokes, keep ’em coming lol πŸ˜€

Amazon, Ply, Wi, Smiffy, Bay and everyone else in here (sorry can’t remember all the names at 5.40am) have a wonderful FD/non-FD and chat soon πŸ˜€ . Cheers, AO

Thanks Happy I really enjoyed the BSD links fascinating stuff and a bloody good read and another option for sure. Jojo the 19/5 daily is still the hand brake on we need that sets us up for a good IF day and really is a powerful tool and I still borrowed Bay’s best bet of 2 litres of water a day and smash that with ease now. LCHF philosophy is under the 19/5 umbrella eat when you’re hungry and stop when your full in the 5 hour eating window check. Eat real food and it is a WOL for the rest of life or the whole of life πŸ˜† Happy Valentines people make love not war πŸ˜‰
    Peace Love and Happiness
    RT

Morning all, it is a gloriously sunny but crisp Sunday morning in Jamieson. Wifi ok, but keypad on iPad playing up, so I am a bit cranky typing on touch screen! Talk about a third world problem!

We have had a few really warm days here, managing to stay cool in the river and a welcome cooler day today. Several cockatoos are screeching overhead, they are so noisy and I would love to know what they are ‘saying’ to each other! Fasting today and going to attempt Amazon’s B2B tomorrow as a big social week coming up.

Well done Amazon and Pentimento for your great losses this week! Everyone on here understands how hard you must have worked to achieve that! And well done Aussie Oma for persisting when it was tough! I find facing the scales daily really works for me, in fact I believe that is one of the most important ‘new’ behaviours I have incorporated into my life. You could easily have given up this week, but you proved your commitment by hanging in there.

Thanks Happy, I have also read your links on the Blood Sugar diet. I am also fortunate enough not to ‘need’ it but it looks really interesting just from a weight loss perspective. Many of you know that my arthritic knees were the main beneficiaries of my weight loss and having the threat of joint replacement surgery was certainly good motivation to lose weight. Good luck to all of you who are going to use it to reboot, whatever works I say!

Jojo I seriously doubt you could stop being such a social person, but maybe even just cut down a bit….be a bit more discerning with what invites you accept? I find it enough of a challenge to maintain (with the hope of losing just a few more kilos) if I am out socialising a lot (hence the B2Bs at present!). From my observations, your present challenge is living with your ex and trying to re-establish your routines after such a big holiday. I think we all need to be in the right head space to concentrate properly on weight loss, so maybe the BSD is just what you need to refocus.

I think its great that everyone on here can find their own version of 5:2 and exchange ideas to help each other. Happy Valentines Day right back RT, you old softie, I bet Mrs RT is being spoilt today!
    Have a lovely Sunday all, followed by a fabulous week. Amazon be careful you don’t shoot past your goal in all your fantastic enthusiasm! But please have a swim for me this week, can’t really do laps in the river up here!

Hey Guys,
    Did some unpacking and decluttering today and feeling righteous. Recycling papers I thought I could never part with just a couple of years ago, essays and assignments for my degree, working life and personal life memorabilia, even old photographs. It’s quite empowering having a good clear out. New year and new plans. Found a book about blood sugar so I will give that a quick read. I think MM used it in his own research into the subject.
    Just watched a great film too, Martian, excellent feel good factor.
    Just eaten fish and veg today but I have a lunch out tomorrow.
    Nama – I think I will quite enjoy a couple of months without social food arrangements especially after three months of restaurant food while I was away. I will still be attending lots of activities and bowling lots as I am in a competitive team now. I certainly won’t become a recluse.
    I shall be out to lunch tomorrow with friends at the bowls club after I compete in two matched. Fingers crossed. Still getting my form back after my trip. Need to be ready for my four day trip at the end of the month as I am competing on three days.
    Fasting again Monday, Wed and Friday for the next two weeks to help deal with the last of my social meals out for a while.
    Aussie Oma- well done for not giving up on yourself. I know that feeling too well. Why? When I have done everything right! Well we know that the body chemistry has its own timeframe and plans.

Morning/evening all,

A cold clear and dry morning here in London 😊

Hi Nama, I sympathise with your crankiness as I have a dodgy keyboard and have to use the on screen version, hence the numerous typos πŸ˜‰

This week has been fairly easy as I came back from my trip feeling so good and full of determination and enthusiasm. The fact that my weight has dropped after four days has really given me a boost and I hope next week goes as smoothly. I’ve had to think differently having given up bread and added sugar for Lent.
    I am drinking plant Stanols every morning which contain a small amount of sugar as I couldn’t find the sugar free version but I’ll keep looking.
    I’ve only eaten fruit, mountains of veg, fat and protein since Monday plus two portions of porage. I’ve had to stop having a spoonful of chutney or a dash of sauce on my dinner as so many contain sugar.

Yesterday I cooked squid, prawns and salmon in garlic, chilli and basil butter and poured it over some salad. It was delicious and I was so full I hardly missed the bread I would have served it with previously.

I’m going to investigate and try some tofu recipes this week as every time I open the fridge the huge block I bought the other day stares accusingly at me….

Have a good one everybody 😜

Jo,

I wouldn’t overcomplicate things by reading the underlying research behind the BSD. The information you need is within the BSD.

I note that you perhaps intend not to follow the diet plan. I must admit I don’t think the menu’s are overly complicated or time-consuming, but I appreciate we all have different priorities and a home-cooked healthy and varied diet is important to me.

I worry that your (as you admit) simple diet is not as healthy as you think and doesn’t contain the wide variety of food stuffs including herbs and spices (and other store cupboard staples) necessary to support a healthy gut flora (and particularly since you knock your gut flora out with antibiotics a couple of times a year – I know not your choice!). It’s interesting that you are beginning to make the link between your simple diet and your regular reversion to less healthy foods.

For the sake of your health (and weight loss), is it not worth embracing the principles of the diet in full? If not, I’m afraid you may embark upon it (your version), fail to see results, lose motivation, bail out and say the diet doesn’t work/ blame your metabolism/ biochemistry etc.

Hi every body,

HELP! Lost 4.5 kilos since the new year but disappointed!! and about to give up! I’m following the 5:2 to the best of my ability. I have the good days and the bad days.

I’m 81.6 kilos today. At the beginning of the year I planned to loose 2 pounds a week or 1 kilo a week and to be able to be 75 kilos on 10 March.I have a wedding on this day. I still would like to achieve the same results but the plan is not realistic and hard to achieve without change and new approach. I walk for 45 minutes 5 -6 times a week.
    Doing the math by 10 march my weight will be 78 kilos if I follow my current plan of 5:2 without any mess! Ideally I would like to loose the other three kilos so it would be 4 pounds a week! is this at all possible? shall i do 4:3? Rouge trader:I like your post on fasters/ balanced diet hunger post.

Would really appreciate your advice & guidance. Thanks

would

Good grief, Tasa, 4.5kg since new year is a fantastic result! Congratulations. I suspect everyone else would be well pleased with that. Yet you’re contemplating giving up?! I’m sorry, but that sounds like complete lunacy to me πŸ™‚

The diet is clearly working very well, but you have unrealistic expectations.

If you’ve been following this thread you’ll have seen the discussion and links to the 8 week blood sugar diet. You could try that. Or you could just not eat for three weeks…

Viewing 50 posts - 13,001 through 13,050 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.