Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 12,951 through 13,000 (of 16,657 total)

• Hello Everyone,
    It is so good to read your posts. It is like a big hug for me. It is Super Bowl Sunday here. The biggest eating holiday for America, and yes I ate too much. The half time show was amazing and fun to watch. This would of been the day for me to go clothes shopping, no one would be in the stores.
    Amazon thank you for sharing your trip.
    Rt- I like it “let it be”, I need to say that to myself a lot.
    lona- you can do it, this is only the 7th you have three more weeks.
    pranayama- enjoy your classes, I just began yoga three months ago and am loving it when I can go.
    To everyone else.. I ran out of energy..I am cheering you on. Good night.

Hi everyone

Monday’s FD almost done and dusted – arrived home about 30′ ago from work (now about 5pm) and enjoying reading all your posts. Thanks everyone – lovely to hear about everyone’s progress but too many to respond individually. Hope everyone who is feeling off colour/out of sorts comes good soon.

Monday’s fast almost done and dusted with 100g salmon and steamed veg for dinner after a few grapes and 100C shake for pm tea. Assuming I resist temptation (feeling very strong today so far) should come in a whisker over 400C for the day. Started off this morning at the same weight as weigh-in last Thursday after 2 FDs – quite relieved as it was my granddaughter’s birthday party last Saturday afternoon and I indulged on savoury snacks and a small slice of birthday cake. ๐Ÿ™ However, neither OH nor I were hungry afterwards so skipped dinner and had a slice of toast with vegemite for supper, with a cup of tea so not bad overall.

Jo, regarding apple cider vinegar, I seem to remember it being mentioned on the thread – maybe last year? I think it was Purple.

Time to go and do the watering (OH’s job usually but he’s in Perth this week doing some consulting) and will delay dinner until afterwards.

Take care all and keep up the good work. n xxx

Morning/evening all,

Cider apple vinegar may well be good for you but I fail to see how it can increase metabolism as that is a measure of how many calories our bodies need to function. People are always looking for a magic bullet and the media are always keen to talk something up but if there were such a thing no-one would be overweight.

I don’t know which gall bladder list you are referring to Jojo but this is from the British Liver Trust information on gallstones

“There is no special diet for people with gallstones, or those who have had their gallbladders removed. Most people do not need to change their diet at all. However, eating a good, balanced diet is one of the most important things you can do to keep yourself well. Regular low calorie meals containing protein (such as meat, fish or beans), starch (such as bread, potatoes or rice) and vitamins (in fruit and vegetables) are the best approach. The following will also help:
    โ€ขeating plenty of fruit and vegetables: aim for 5 portions a day
    โ€ขavoiding salty foods
    โ€ขeating plenty of high-fibre foods such as brown rice, wholemeal bread and pasta
    โ€ขeating a low fat diet to avoid irritating your digestive system
    โ€ขeating a low cholesterol diet.

If you suffer from diarrhoea, eating plenty of high-fibre foods can help your body absorb excess water and make your bowel movements firmer. Avoiding spicy and fatty foods, dairy products and caffeine, may also help to reduce symptoms”

The NHS advice is the same so I’m unsure why you are cutting out so many foods when there is no evidence that you should do so. Having said that, there may be foods that trigger symptoms but they will almost certainly be foods that contain fat and need bile to be digested.

I see no reason why you can’t eat a healthy low fat low carb diet with plenty of any vegetable you fancy.

Rat apparently tastes like chicken and I don’t have a problem with people eating it but I had no desire to taste it just cause it was available.

I’m going to the gym but am a bit concerned about the journey home as gales of 40+mph are forecast ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Have a good one everybody ๐Ÿ˜œ

NickyF,
    Sounds like you had a good fast day, positive restart on 5:2.
    I don’t think I have the energy to read back to find PVE’s link but I have now done some research on line, I may try it as a daily supplement. But first I will check with my Doctor as I don’t want to aggravate gall stone issue further. I am now doing intermitant bursts on a cross trainer daily, it’s killing me but hopefully increasing my metabolism.
    Have a great week everyone

Sorry Jo. I read your reference to apple cider vinegar earlier, but, like Nicky, I was fasting, so headed for the beach to keep busy. I made it. Salmon salad just eaten after 24 hour fast. Well done on your fast, Nicky.
    Re acv, I use it for sore throats, as a gargle. Have for years, but also discovered it is brilliant for stomach bugs. It is also suggested it might help with arthritis perhaps it IS the miracle food. It is natural and kills bugs.
    Cheers P

Lots of suggestions regarding acv but not much evidence so far.
    Most vinegars have anti bacterial properties and historically have been used for treating wounds and gargling to relieve sore throats. I get the impression that acv is more effective due to enzymes from the apples but haven’t read much about that particular aspect.
    It supposedly helps you lose weight as it apparently increases satiety bรป self control works just as well and doesn’t cost anything ๐Ÿ˜‰ It is also thought that it might reduce insulin resistance. I would guess that if they manage to prove that it will be a miracle cure but I’m not holding my breath…..

Amazon,

Perhaps we should hold our breath? I imagine that too would help with weight loss and similarly costs nothing ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck with the storm today.

Hello, well I did not manage my fast today but as I was exhausted , having not slept mor an 4 hours I am being kind to myself. I have however completed a pt session with a parent and my secretary. Two teachers will join us. It was good and a positive start. There are three on my staff who intend to regain a better body shape and overall fitness. I will join the local gym as well. It has been tough adjusting to new life but I will get there. I have not lived on my own ever so it is a significant change. I miss my boys but life cannot be stagnant. I am so hoping I can organise the Internet tonight. Eking my phone data has been hard.
    I am hoping to fast tomorrow. We are cooking pancakes at school but I a quite able to resist. My house is looking good but have many more boxes to unpack.
    Nicky , sorry we did not catch up, but perhaps in the term holidays
    Cheers emel

Thanks everyone, anybody else any history with Apple Cider Vinegar ?
    The hype is getting much stronger in favour of daily dosage especially for skin conditions and IBS.

Jojo, this link is to a quite trusted website, WebMD. It has a good article re Apple Cider Vinegar. I
    don’t have a history with ACV though, so no personal thoughts either way.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/apple-cider-vinegar-and-health

Regarding diets for gallbladder problems, as a nurse I recall advising patients that special diets were followed only if needed. In other words, those with gallstones, and those without gallbladders, could eat whatever they desired unless eating certain foods caused gastric distress. Foods that caused distress could then be moderated/eliminated. Diet will not worsen (or improve) gallbladder disease, so symptoms are the main guide to diet. This advice might not be right for you, however, so certainly follow whatever your doctor advises. Good luck.

prana

I got back from the gym just in time, we now have gale force wind and lashing rain. I am warm and cosy inside watching tennis ๐Ÿ˜Š

Happy, I’m not holding my breath as it makes my face go red ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m fasting today and so far it has been remarkably easy which has surprised me. Fingers crossed that it continues to go smoothly.

Hi everyone . My old laptop is playing silly sods and I am trying to work on the tablet and I was in hospital for about 2 weeks . Ross gave me and Jims laptop that has windows 8 I think . Lots going on family wise too and dads 98th birthday next Thursday 14th .
    Jo jo I had my GB out about 50 years ago . The said it wasn’t that as you should be fair fat and 40 :(. I was dark fat and 20 something . I lived on bread and ox tongue for almost 2 years THEN I got the op . I have a scar over a foot long and I was in hospital for about 2 weeks .
    I have never looked back . it is a very small scar nowadays and a short stay in hospital . I have IBS now but I am sure someone said we could get that if we yoyo diet and I have done that a lot in the past.

I am managing quite well maintaining and I let myself have a wee ice cream fest now and again BUT never go over 6 pounds extra . IF I do I am right back to the 5.2 . I love it as any time I lost weight in the past and went “off the rails” I just kept going thinking ” what the hell” and put the weight back on .
    I am still getting compliments all the time and that keeps me going as well .

I am not skinny and at almost 74 I wouldn’t want to be skinny and haggard . I feel better than I have for more years than I can count .

RT I love the jokes
    Amazon I am so pleased you enjoyed your break
    PVE You need to send the sun here :).

I feel as if you all as RT says “you know who you are” I feel as if you are all part of our extended family

Jojo today is the first sun I have seen for some time . We have had over80 MPH winds and torrential rain for weeks . The sun is actually shining right now and we are off shorty to drive our middle son to a physio
    The car is in the garage on Tues and Wed putting in a new sun roof ( still under warranty )
    on Thurs dad id 98
    Friday taking Ross to dentist
    So fasting should be a bit easier this week

Love and hugs to all xx

Wee xx

Hi Weemam,
    I had no idea you were in hospital. I guess you were getting that boob job you have been promising yourself. But seriously I hope you are feeling better.
    Yes my sister also had her gallbladder removed in her 20’s, she was tall, skinny and dark so also didn’t fit the fair, fat and forty rule. I wonder if anyone does? My sister was a big fan of chocolate and in nursing there was never a shortage of it on the wards.
    Prani – I do get symptoms if I eat anthing with fat so I am avoiding it. This of course is quite simpatico with my healthy eating but can be a bit of a severe restriction. I have been ignoring the cabbage family veg avoidance because it seems to be no problem. I never really saw the connection of green bean avoidance. They don’t cause gas, do they? Not for me. I stopped eating bread from Saturday and already feel better for it. If only I could brain wash myself to not be tempted by it, especially when I eat soup.

PVE- seriously 350 calorie limit is harsh but I am determined.

Sorry Jojo . I was in hospital for 2 weeks but that was when I had my GB out all those years ago . My sentences keep jumping about here lol . I think I have gremlins in the works lol

Wee xx

Jojo, from your last post it sounds like you are doing everything right for your gallbladder issues – eating based on symptoms. I had to chuckle re your comment about green beans. You are so right – we are all very different and react so differently to foods. ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck with not eating bread. When I was thin and younger and still working full time I could eat bread three times a day if I wished. That is so not the case now. At least I know that, for me, if I say no to bread most of the time and keep following 5:2 and my TDEE, I will reach my goal.

prana

Good morning fellow fasters.

It’s nearly 7.30am here in Adelaide, cool and fine with light breeze but 35C predicted for later today – probably about the time of my gym session ๐Ÿ™ hooray for air conditioning! It would be nice to experience some cold with lashing rain NH mates, if only for a day or two but understand that there can be too much of anything. By this time of the year I’m well and truly ‘over’ summer. Encouragingly, some of the deciduous trees around our way have sensed the shortening days and are showing the first signs of autumn colour at the top.

Jo, I can only send my sympathies for your gallbladder issues – not something I have experienced, nor anyone I know. Sounds like a good strategy to conduct your experiment of finding what food suits/doesn’t suit on your sample size of one (to quote RT). I remember when recovering from Crohns and radical surgery in my 20s receiving lots of ‘expert’ advice about what to avoid eating but over the years I worked out what suited my system, including some things I had been told not to eat.

Good to hear Prana and Penti are doing well. You have the right attitude, which is one of the foundation stones for success.

Amazon, so glad you enjoyed your trip. Insight into another culture is unforgettable, including local food. Great idea to eat where the locals are gathered, although I’m with you on not fancying arachnids, insects or rats.

Wee, your dear dad’s birthday on Thursday will be such a cause for celebration. Is ice-cream on the menu?

RT, sorry to hear Mrs RT has (temporarily I hope) given up fasting. You’re wise not to press as it seems obvious that other parts of life are a bit much to handle, without the added difficulty of fasting. Trust things improve with time. Keep similing!

Good FD yesterday just a whisker over 400C and scales encouraging this morning. For Christmas OH gave me one of those smoothie makers that are all the rage. I have been trying for some time to ‘up’ my veg intake to the recommended 5 serves/day but my favourite potatoes don’t really cut it. Today for lunch (my ‘break fast’) I blitzed raw carrot, tomato, 1 stick of celery (thinking of you curling your toes Amazon), cucumber, cabbage and a little pickled ginger, plus 20g each of roasted cashews and brazil nuts. It lacked a little ‘something’ when I tasted it this morning but a good grind of black pepper helped. At around 300C, I hope it will keep me going through weight training this afternoon. Poached egg on toast planned for dinner.

Take care all and keep up the good work. n xxx

Touch day
    Lots of water, mostly carbonated with ice and slice.
    Smoked salmon salad for dinner, 345 cals. Proud to keep under 350 but I wouldn’t have made it if I included my usual 5 cups of tea in a day. Bought some more green tea so I am set for Wednesday fast.

Going to bed early as feeling very deprived and grumpy.
    I don’t think cooking my husband a special birthday dinner and chocolate fudge cake helped me but duty calls. He is taking the rest to work tomorrow.

Couldn’t swap days as lots of plans this week.

Hello Fast Trackers
    Nicky Emel and Aussie O in South Australia Nama in Victoria Bay in ACT PVE in NSW WiWi & Barata in NZ and Jojo SAMM HappyNow Amazon Herm Lizzy Ply Tartan lass Smiffy Lor_PA CakeyWakey Sarah103 HealthCoachB Tessy pen nib Iona72 Pentimento pranayama and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) ๐Ÿ˜‰
    ZERO food equals ZERO hunger and cravings
    In one study, they measured the intensity of hunger and cravings in two groups of people:

1. A water fasting group – people in this group ate no food at all.

2. A standard dieting group – people in this group ate a “balanced” weight loss diet.

And here’s the amazing thing happened…

After going two weeks without food, the hunger and cravings were COMPLETELY GONE in the water fasting group. But they kept going just as strong in the standard dieting group.

One more study, where people water fasted for as long as 117! days, also confirmed that “Hunger was virtually absent” during the fast.
    400 calories causes less hunger than 1200 calories
    Another study compared a very restrictive diet (500 calories per day), to a “balanced” weight loss diet (1200 calories per day).

And even though people on the standard weight loss diet ate more than twice as many calories, they still reported stronger hunger than people who were on the more restrictive low calorie diet.

Another study proved that a 400-calorie diet was able to reduce appetite, hunger, anxiety, and preoccupation with food in comparison to a balanced 1200-calorie weight loss diet.

So there you go. Against all common sense and intuition, modern science has proven that less food can actually mean less hunger.
    โ€œthe less you eat the more you loseโ€
    Peace RT

Hi again fast trackers: good morning NHs, good afternoon SHs.

Jo, hope you feel better after your early night. Well done on staying under 350C despite severe provocation.

RT, yet more wise words – thank you. I think most of us have demonstrated over and over again that the ‘hunger dragon’ doesn’t wake up without a prod from food. I’ve also found, like many of us, that FDs are relatively simple because there are no decisions about whether or not to eat something.

Just home from work and weight training – hard workout but very satisfying. Getting measurably stronger.

My daughter also trains at the same gym, which is undertaking a study of their clients following various weight loss regimes – my daughter is doing 5:2. She had an assessment last week and the impedance test showed that of the 3kg she had lost in the month, 2kg was fat. She is of course very pleased that it was mostly fat loss, with minimal detected muscle loss – fluid made up the difference due to ‘time of the month’ changes (sorry RT).

Another FD scheduled for me tomorrow – hope not to lose focus before bedtime.

Take care all. n xxx

Morning/evening all,

Well done Jojo, especially managing to fast while cooking a treat for someone else. Like you I had an early night. My first fast for over two weeks went well until about 8pm when I wanted to eat something. I wasn’t particularly hungry but got the urge to nibble so I was in bed by 9pm.
    I woke up in the night and couldn’t get back to sleep so made a cup of tea which did the trick ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    I’m feeling strong willed and determined so am fasting again today. I have several family and friends birthdays coming up in the next couple of weeks so need to hit the shops which should keep me out of mischief for a few hours and go towards my 10000 steps as I plan to walk there and back if it stays dry.

RT, I had my best results with fasting when I was doing B2B on M/Tu and Th/F as I was less hungry once I got used to it. I did have a mad idea of fasting every day of Lent but I think that is an idea destined to fail so I’ll continue with my original idea of giving up bread and added sugar which will be difficult enough for this breadaholic ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Nicky, when I was in Cambodia I was humbled and reminded of how fortunate I am not to live in a country that has been through such terrible times in recent years. I am also in awe of the strength of the ordinary folk who are working so hard to put their lives and their country back together, and doing it with a smile.
    Your weight training sounds fascinating. Why did you choose to do it, were you already interested or did you decide you needed to be stronger and thought it was the way to go?

Morning All,
    Slept well but it took hours to get off to sleep. Very, very hungry this morning but I am delaying eating as long as possible.

Thanks for the support, wize words RT.

Off to a new music group now, that should keep my mind off food.

Have fun today everyone, keep smiling.

Hi RT

Thanks for the info. I think it also applies to sugars and starches. The more you have the more you want. The less you have the less you want. I have gone cold turkey for Lent for the sugar free challenge.

Sorry to hear about Mrs RT. You (and she) may be interested in reading Michael Mosleys The 8-week blood sugar diet where he says that eating 800 calories every day for 8 weeks will result in reversing diabetes type 2 and a stunning weight loss. The focus is on eating full fat and protein, fish, meat, green vegetables, raw nuts. And drinking lots of water.

Research also shows that dieting hard and fast has a higher success rate. They think through reinforcing people. More fast dieters keep the weight off than the slow and steady people on permanent calorie restriction.

I bought the book from http://www.booktopia.com.au and the cover carries the tag line. Average weight loss 14 kg in 8 weeks. By my calculations between 3-4 lb per week. There are some recipes in the book.

The blood sugar diet does it by eliminating all sugars and starches, including no starchy vegetables, rice, pasta, breads, cereals etc. The biggest challenge is to regard it as a permanent change in lifestyle. No white foods, as Purple and Happy have always said.

Cheers, Bay ๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒž

Hi Bay thanks for that no i hadn’t caught with his new works although i did watch his special on dear old abc tonight the countdown to life the extraordinary making of you but i will hunt it down sounds good to me ๐Ÿ’ก yes y-fee is in struggle town im afraid and in time we should find the paddles for that barbed wire canoe im sure
    RT

Thanks for the great post on low calories and less hunger RT! I caught a cold and then did my first fast day end of December to lose someChristmas weight. Did b2b fasts because I wasn’t hungry, decided to only eat when hungry and then lost over 15 lbs in January eating under 500 cals pretty much every day. Although I was happy to be losing and knew I was eating when hungry (not starving myself, not even hunger pains) it was kind of scary at the same time. Glad to read the research shows it was pretty normal not to be hungry. Trying to adjust to 5:2 now and not gain the weight back!

Hello fast trackers
    Interesting results, RT and also sorry about Ms RT. I agree that it’s difficult to fast when life is topsy turvy.

I think not feeling hungry requires training, Skinnyme, or rather untraining. Conventional wisdom says have 3 meals a day. Simcolev wrote a good summary for me a few months back about fasting for long periods on just water. I was a bit dubious about the
    Just finishing a 24 zero calorie fast and yes it’s easier to not eat at all that eat a little. I was a bit dubious about water only fast and it’s not very difficult to not even think about eating. I am a bit obsessive with food and so can be obsessive about no food.
    Bay, I am well into a no sugar or starch stint and I don’t miss them.
    However the usual thing with 0 calorie fasts is that I can’t sleep.
    I got my 1600km badge on fitbit (aptly called the NZ badge). The next is at 2500 km. This is possible in 4 months by continuing on the 12k per day. Wellington is hilly so it’s an added bonus. I now have my “Wellington legs” back after these months at home.
    Happy fasting
    Wiwi

Fast Trackers have a go at this this is seriously very cool and quite amazing ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Here’s another trick of Doctor Dementia to test your skills…

We’ve seen this with the letters out of order, but this is the first time we’ve seen it with numbers. Good example of a Brain Study: If you can read this OUT LOUD you have a strong mind. And better than that: Alzheimer’s is a long long, way down the road before it ever gets anywhere near you.

7H15 M3554G3

53RV35 7O PR0V3

H0W 0UR M1ND5 C4N

D0 4M4Z1NG 7H1NG5!

1MPR3551V3 7H1NG5!

1N 7H3 B3G1NN1NG

17 WA5 H4RD BU7

N0W, 0N 7H15 LIN3

Y0UR M1ND 1S

R34D1NG 17 4U70M471C4LLY

W17H0U7 3V3N

7H1NK1NG 4B0U7 17,

B3 PROUD! 0NLY

C3R741N P30PL3 C4N

R3AD 7H15!

PL3453 F0RW4RD 1F

U C4N R34D 7H15.

To my ‘selected’ strange-minded friends: If you can read the following paragraph, forward it on to your friends with ‘yes’ in the subject line. Only great minds can read this. This is weird, but interesting!

If you can raed this, you have a sgtrane mnid, too.

Olny 55 people out of 100 can.

I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! If you can raed this forwrad it.

Happy Hump Day
    Peace RT

RT,

Thanks! Good to know I’ve still got all my marbles ๐Ÿ™‚

Good morning/evening all from South Australia.

RT, like Happy, so glad to know my marbles are intact.

Jo, sometimes it’s really hard to start the day hungry. Hope you enjoyed your new music group.

Bay, thanks for the tip on the new book – will look out for it. First day of Lent and have resolved to not eat anything with added sugar. That should cut out most of my sins but will still be able to eat a little of potatoes and my home-made bread, so not all bad.

Skinnyme, well done on staying the 500C/day course. Good luck with the change to IF.

Hi Wiwi, your Welly legs must have been good to get back. How long before you go back to France?

Amazon, I took up weight training at perimenopause. My GP recommended HRT to counteract the risk of osteoporosis but I had a bone density scan (90th percentile for hip and cervical spine) so decided to skip the pills. I used to have severe monthly migraines so the risk of thrombosis also made them very unappealing, plus why take an unnecessary drug? Nothing is without side effects. About the same time I heard a woman interviewed on the radio, a gerontology researcher from Tufts University (USA) who had written a book called ‘strong women stay young’ based on her group’s research findings that fairly challenging resistance training could not only slow the rate of bone loss but actually reverse it. Their study group consisted of frail-aged people in their 80s. I bought the book and my daughter (then in her 20s) and I took up weight training straight away. That was nearly 20 years ago and much more research has been done, validating and extending those original findings. Plus, I love the powerful feeling of being strong, especially surprising people with what I can easily pick up/move/climb over. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Another FD today. Scales this morning the same as yesterday. My Fitbit showed 2500C consumed yesterday (~12000 steps and 16 floors climbed) and I ate <1500 without serious stress. I’m a slow learner but still trying ๐Ÿ˜‰

To echo RT, happy Hump Day everyone, although considering my working week, hump day was yesterday and today is ‘Friday’. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Keep up the good work! n xxx

Hi Nicky F ….I forgot to say YESSS!!! there will be Ice Cream at my lovely Dads 98th on Thursday xxxxxxxx

Wee xxxxx

Hello All,
    It has been a tough day, the music group was weird, I really did not enjoy it. There were only three of us and it wasn’t well planned. I worked on learning my uke, another lady just had a shaker and the group tutor had a guitar. She was a gifted musician but presented two songs she hadn’t previously used. They were difficult to sing let alone sing and play an instrument too. Ah well, it’s good to be challenged. I really enjoyed my peaceful dog walk in the park after two hours of stress. Finally I went to ‘short mat’ bowls- didn’t go too well, I found it hard to adapt my line and length.
    I watched the TV programme about 6 celebrity’s spending 10 days on a farm on a ‘sugar free’ diet. They were all previously fairly addicted to cakes, processed foods and wine or cider. They also worked on the farm or did the cooking. It was interesting to see the changes in attitude and their opinions about health. All reported weight loss and improvements in energy and wellbeing. Interestly one person also found her skin much improved. After they returned to normal life 6 weeks later, only the youngest make returned to a high sugar diet. For me it is very difficult to give up natural sugars such as though in fruit. Happy to give up ‘white’ sugar and its ‘ replacement’ products.

Do you eat fruit daily? I usually eat at least 3 pieces of fruit daily( non fast days only) but I often have an apple on fast days.
    Amazon- well done on your recent changes, I hope you meet your goal soon. Would you be prepared to try the 800 per day for 8 weeks. I may give it a try from March as I am not travelling for two months. I don’t think I could do 500 everyday but probably need to. I imagine you would need to be very careful as a vegetarian to ensure you are getting sufficient nutrients.

Fasting tomorrow, 350 again, hope it gets easier.

Wow, RT

I am very happy to know all my marbles are still there. I will attempt to forward it to the rest of my family. We are always worrying about Alzheimers – being in the family. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰

Im on my first day of sugar free Lent. No added sugar equals no bread or cereals or dried fruit or fruit juice or tropical fruits or white starchy foods. So far so good. Eggs and rocket for breakfast with a coffee.

Cheers, Bay

Hi Wiwi

Isn’t it amazing how differently we all react – it’s all a study of one. After every fast day I sleep like a log.

I think that the sugar in carbs keeps me awake and I never have carbs on a fast day. My normal fast days are eggs, vegetables, or fish, chicken, soups, no fruit and no starchy carbs, no white foods of any kind.

Cheers, Bay ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ

Hello friends,
    Firstly, apologies for not posting for so long – reading daily, but busy life getting in the way! You ALL inspire me every day as I read of your accomplishments…
    Fasting wise I am not changing anything drastically, fasting has become a part of life. My weight seems to have hit a plateau, but not stressing as there really isn’t any alternative. I am not as active (aerobically) as a lot of you, I guess that makes a difference. Still enjoying the swimming, so thats a new, permanent behaviour!
    I decided to get out of my comfort zone this week and take a leaf out of Jojo’s book – I started (oil) painting classes after procrastinating about it for ages. At first I found it really hard being out of said comfort zone, but managed to remind myself that I was actually there to learn and that was the whole point! Anyway, time will tell. I was really enjoying it by the end of the 2 hr lesson. We have also been travelling a bit lately (just locally), catching up with old friends etc. The weeks fly past too quickly.
    Wiwi your knee must have really recovered from when you were limping in Melbourne – I can’t believe the number of Km you are clocking up! And with those Wellington hills, its obviously coping well!
    RT thanks for your constant inputs – todays is interesting, so fascinating that our brains can interpret scrambled words easily! I agree about the hunger/lack of hunger being so related to intake. Fast days are by far the easiest. And fasting has taught me that hunger really is no drama, it always passes. I hope you are not stressing about your wife’s progress, you know she will get back to it when she is ready and not before. She is an independent adult and nothing you say will make any difference, unless you say the wrong thing and upset her of course! So best to keep your mouth safely shut and keep out of trouble. Lead by example as you always have. And use your research skills and share with us on here in the mean time!
    Sarah thanks for asking, my car is loving having new tyres! We are driving to Jamieson tomorrow night for four days, then on to visit family and friends further away, so it feels much safer to have new tyres on the car.
    Jojo re your question about fruit. I eat blueberries, strawberries, pears, apples, melons, oranges, grapefruit and kiwi fruit. Probably 3-4 serves a day. I know they have fructose, some a lot more than others, so try to mostly have berries and melon. But I wont give it up as I believe they are an important part of a balanced diet and I eat them differently now – they are my ‘sweet treat’ at the end of the day or as ‘breakfast’ and I am conscious of the sugar they contain. The apricots and peaches are beautiful at present too, I wouldn’t miss them either!
    Happy Birthday to your dear Dad for Thursday Wee! What an amazing man he must be. How lucky you are to still have him at 98 and how lucky he is to have all of you. But I am sure its not just luck!
    Good luck with your sugar free lent Bay – so impressive! I would not even attempt it as I know I would fail. Just getting off the kilos I have already and keeping them off is prize enough for me – I still look at the inside of my jeans to check I haven’t dreamed the size 12!!

Hello, you generous and helpful people,
    Amazed at the terrific information available on this thread.
    RT, so happy I donโ€™t have to worry about dementia for at least the near future. Thanks for that!
    Also, thanks Bay for the information on Dr. Mosleyโ€™s new book. I was not aware of it. It is not yet available here in the US, but after you mentioned it I was able to read the entire series that was printed in the Daily Mail via the internet. Very motivating. Although not diabetic, I know this way of eating is very good for me. Carbs make me hungry and make me want more carbs. Iโ€™m seriously deleting white foods from my diet!
    Nicky, I attended a lecture by Dr. Miriam Nelson (the woman from Tufts that you heard interviewed) and started weight training around the same time you did. I have been devoted to weight training ever since and try to incorporate weight bearing exercise into many of my activities and also into the senior yoga and water aerobics classes that I teach. Dr. Nelson is one of my idols, and I have several of her books :).
    Sarah, glad to hear you practice yoga too. I donโ€™t know your philosophy, but mine is that yoga is a practice and a journey, and not just for today but for every day. I remind myself of this to keep from getting discouraged when my flexibility isnโ€™t what I wish it was. I may always regret that I havenโ€™t been practicing yoga my entire life.
    Weemam, I hope you and your dear father and family have a wonderful celebration!
    TDEE day tomorrow (Wednesday) for me, followed by a fast day on Thursday. Busy teaching two yoga classes and volunteer work on Wednesday, attending my favorite yoga class on Thursday. Trying and succeeding most days to walk 10,000 + steps. Loving that elliptical but need to try doing more HIIT. Good luck to everyone and thanks for being here.

prana

Evening all from Adelaide.

Nama, good to hear all is OK with you.

Prana, yet another coincidence in our global club. Was cross with myself for not remembering Dr Nelson’s name this morning when I posted, checked it when I arrived home and there’s your post! She certainly changed my life so very glad to ‘meet’ another fan. I too practise (Hatha) yoga – a great complement to weight training IMO as the weights help the strength poses and the stretching poses improve my flexibility. I took it up about 8 years ago but like you, I wished I’d started in my 20s – another case of use it or lose it. I’m starting a new class close to home tomorrow morning; am a bit nervous but my other instructor retired – she used to hold a yoga class at lunchtime at my workplace which was good fun.

Bay, like Nama I don’t think I could give up fruit for Lent but am conscious of the high energy value so limit myself to the recommended 2 serves/day. That’s why I defined my plan as food with ‘no added sugar’. Will also try to limit other white carbs but I would be doomed to failure without the odd slice of toast and vegemite for breakfast. The real challenge for me is to have the 5 serves of veg, especially in hot weather since I’m not keen on salads. Like you I sleep really well on FDs.

Another FD almost done and dusted so really looking forward to steamed prawns and salad for dinner. I had my 100C flavoured whey protein shake and a few red grapes at 3pm otherwise I’m ready to chew the table leg by the time I get home.

Weigh-in recording day tomorrow. Will see if the extra restraint has paid any dividends.

Sleep well SH, hope you have a good day NH. Nicky.

Morning all,
    Thread sounding very positive, great news and views.
    I am trying to get tough on myself concerning natural sugars so I will be experimenting. I have conquered the reduction in proteins, alcohol and carbs now so I believe it’s the next stage. I usually manage the 10,000 steps daily unless too busy.
    I don’t think I have a comfort zone Nama, low boredom threshold keeps me experimenting with new activities. I also made an agreement with Barata to try 5 new activities this year. Next two are a Garden Club and Bridge ( cards type) Club. Luckily I joined the U3A, University of the Third Age. There are hundreds of events run by members with skills and interests that they are willing to share. I already bowl with them on Mondays. It’s usually mixed sex groups which is nice, not a big fan of ‘ladies only’ groups, too much bitching.
    Time to leave, bowling beckons.
    Have a great fasting day( my first ‘fruit free’ day). Wiwi – I don’t sleep well on fast days either even if I have walked miles.

Great post thanks Nama
    “Sometimes we need someone to simply be there. Not to fix anything, or to do anything in particular, but just to let us feel that we are cared for & supported.” I borrowed that from Charlie brown and snoopy and this is my mantra for the present time ๐Ÿ˜†
    Peace RT

Well the only fruits I eat every day now are tomatoes and capsicum. Bananas and dates perhaps 2-3/ week. Pink grapefruit x 1. I just don’t have enough of a sweet tooth now to want sweet fruit every day. And now Nama tells me my diet is unbalanced… ๐Ÿ™ !

My fruit consumption will go up in summer when it’s raspberry/strawberry/blackberry season in my garden (and if my fruit trees produce I’ll have apples, plums, damson and medlar) but I rarely buy soft fruit out of season (odd I know, because I’m clearly not growing my own toms and peppers in winter!). I do buy grapes as a treat for the hens but don’t eat any myself (except for the fermented kind ๐Ÿ™‚ ).

There just aren’t enough eating opportunities now!

Morning/evening all,

RT, yippee I still have all my marbles too ๐Ÿ˜„

Nicky thanks for the background info regarding your weight training. I have very strong legs thanks to years of cycling but the rest of my body isn’t as strong as I would like it to be so I’m exploring options and you’ve given me much to think about.
    I sometimes have a whey protein shake when I’ve been to the gym and KNOW I’ll not last until dinner. It is really filling and keeps me on track.

Jojo, 800 calories per day would be doable but difficult for me when socialising so I’m going to stick with what I’m doing for the time being.
    It is the first day of Lent so no bread or added sugar for the next 40 days.

I’m with Nama as far as eating fruit is concerned so I won’t be giving it up, in fact I’m trying to increase the amount I eat. Good luck to those of you who are giving it up, I know that I couldn’t do it!

Wiwi, I’m impressed with your walking regime, yรด must be feeling great ๐Ÿ˜

I’ve just completed B2B fasts which got a bit tough yesterday evening after a break from fasting but I knew I had to knuckle down and stick with it and I feel good this morning. I’m going to do it again Th/F and if all is well do it every week for a month and see where that takes me.
    My best friend is away in NZ until the middle of March so there won’t be any walks or cinema followed by tea and cake or pub dinners which should make life easier. Another friend who I usually meet for coffee and cake has just moved house and I’m going to her place today so no temptation.

I’m making a batch of Khmer vegetable curry this evening which will be for non FDs and I’m looking forward to seeing if it tastes as food as the ones I had in Cambodia.

Happy, I’m pleased to say that I no longer think that every second of the day is an eating opportunity and have found more self control than I knew I possessed. It did disappear on the flight to KL (I had planned to fast) after 20 minutes of listening to a very distressed toddler screaming. I had tomtake an emergency dose of G&T which led to eating ๐Ÿ˜†

Typos grrrr

Tastes as good!

๐Ÿ˜‹

Amazon- That curry sounds great. I had forgotten tomatoes counted as fruit Happy, just eaten 10 cherry ones with my fish lunch. So much for my plans today. I need to do some research immediately. Chicken soup for dinner, homemade if I get around to making it this afternoon.
    Nama- I would not give up fruit if it wasn’t necessary for me to kickstart my weightloss. I am fasting 3 days at the moment yet only losing 1 pound per week during January. It’s so frustrating. I think bread has been an issue in this too so that has gone again.
    RT – you are right, we all need a friend there even if they can’t advise us it is s support. I started this thread because I have no friends or family doing 5:2. I really find it keeps me focused most of the time.

The curry was very good but I want to tweak the quantities of the ingredients in the paste next time. I have two more portions stashed in the freezer to eat first!

I’ve had a good day today, I went to see my friend but we didn’t stay home due to noisy drilling by the builders working next door.
    We went to a coffee shop that had an amazing array of cakes, buns and filled rolls, all baked on the premises. I had two mugs of excellent coffee and polished my halo while my friend enjoyed her cinnamon bun ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’ve booked my trip to Rome for the tennis and got a good deal on a hotel in the middle of the city which is convenient for sightseeing and lots of restaurants. There is also a bus stop 2 minutes away where we can catch a bus to the Foro Italico where the tennis tournament is held. My friend has ordered the tickets so we are ready to go ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    All done so easily on line. Don’t you just love the internet ๐Ÿ˜

The trip is also an incentive to lose weight so I can get into the skinny pale pink jeans I bought last year.

Sounds good Amazon.
    I am sure you will have great time.
    I really missed my apple today I don’t think I want to give up fruit on feed days yet. Don’t underestimate this no sugar lark

Morning All,
    Blew my fast day last night by eating crackers and cheese, both forbidden, honestly there is no hope for me. I had made chicken soup with lots of veg and sone lentils but it just didn’t hit the mark. The whole evening the fridge was calling to me. I battled until 9 pm then gave in, but I did sleep well for a change which is great. Result is no weight loss today but I have Friday to count on and I will reduce some today. I have a party Friday night so I am not too hopeful.
    I really wish I could get a handle on my self destruct button. Maybe I do need to accept the daily reduction technique.
    Skinny -losing 15 lbs in a month is incredible, the most I have ever managed is 8. Well done you, I hope you can keep it off. Wiwi – Well done on the 24 hour water only fast, how much did you lose? Are you near goal yet?
    Dog walk, bowls and Spanish Class today, that should keep me occupied and away from the fridge.
    RT- my husband and I read the text without faultering, it amazed me but it shouldn’t as my son is dyslexic yet he never really had issues learning to read. His spelling is another matter. Fortunately he has a creative bent so dyslexia hasn’t really impeded his success, in fact it may have helped, compensatory spacial skills.
    Haven’t heard from Ply and Smithy on the thread for a while, hope you are doing well guys. January and Feb are such difficult months here, cold and depressing. Thinking of you both.
    Wee- Hope Dad has a wonderful 97 th birthday, he knows he is loved, it makes all the difference.
    Have a great day Fasters.

Morning/evening all,

Cold and frosty here but with a clear blue sky.

I slept really well last night and was woken by the alarm, a combination of my body clock finally getting back to normal and not having fasted yesterday. I’m still feeling full from 600 calories of healthy curry which is great as I’m off to the gym this morning and I’m fasting again.

Poor you Jojo, I am fortunate that I don’t have to cater for anyone else so there isn’t anything tempting in my cupboards at the moment and I intend to keep it that way.

I think that comfort food is good on cold winter days and my diet version of cassoulet will do the trick today.
    I’m also going to try the Hairy Dieters trick for lasagne where they substituted opened out blanched leaves of leeks for pasta and make a vegetarian version with tofu and lots of veggies.
    I’m never happier than in the kitchen trying new recipes so healthy versions of popular dishes are going to be on my menu until the spring vegetables appear ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Amazon,

Cold (-4) and icy here this morning, but the sun is visibly shining (that’s three days in a row!!).

I’ll be interested to hear how the leek leaves work for lasagne. I’ve got leeks still standing in the veg patch which need using, but wondered if they’d just slide in layers rather than being easy to cut through.

I’ve just bought Anna Jones’ second book ‘a modern way to cook’. As you’d expect, lots of yummy vegetarian recipes, and a recipe for chickpea tofu. I’d not thought about making it and I’ve not tried it yet, but will do since shop-bought can be underwhelming.

Jo,

Sorry to hear you succumbed to cheese (fat for your gallbladder?) and biscuits (carbs).

I’m not going to sympathesize and give you excuses for it, I’m going to be brutal. If you don’t sort your head out you risk undoing all your hard work and gaining all your weight back. You are already heavier than you were last year. If you don’t take serious steps to address this, who knows? Lose and gain the same few pounds again this year, have another holiday and put on another half or a stone?

It really seems to me that what you are, and have been (for months), doing is just not working. So why not commit to the BSD? Short-term it may be harder work and more restrictive, but what is your plan B? If you don’t have the willpower to do 5:2 properly, then it isn’t going to work for weight loss and at the moment, over the medium-term, you aren’t even maintaining your loss (sorry, but it’s the truth).

Come on Jo! You know you can do better than this!

Do you really want to be here this time next year still talking about how to lose that pesky last couple of stone?

I have never been a part of an online social group..for any reason, too busy too whatever, I just sat down and read all your POSTs for the last 40-min in front of the morning fire. You are all completely and totally inspiring. I am encouraged. I won’t greet you individually but I thank you all. I re-read some of your tidbits of sagacious news, fruit vs no fruit, descriptions of FD meals, managing physical limitations, 10,000 steps a day (and more) etc. It’s very interesting to read HOW you each view your relationship with food beyond the part where it’s used to keep you alive. I sleep like a rock on FD days. Weighing in on Saturday again and today Thursday is a social day around two meals…hard, hard, hard to manage these occasions without appearing odd or a wee bit obsessed. Last week did my monthly measurements and reduced neck size by 1/2 inch but nothing on the waist yet. Will have to adjust my exercise so I can reduce the body size and improve toning.

I gave up the drink for Lent and also gave up ‘Sloth’ which I interpret as laziness and lack of self-discipline. Under the umbrella of giving up ‘Sloth’ I recommitted to my 5:2/4:3 WOL and stopping some other bad ‘lazy’-based habits. My weakness is still enough cardio level exercise but my new mobile Pedometer is fun and encouraging.

We don’t have many processed food temptations in our home-life as we bake our own Irish brown Soda bread and made a point of eating what’s in season around us for the most part. The rice is grown regionally and we’ve still yams and winter root vegetables ‘n such. The fields are full of wild Thyme, Black mustard, Milk Thistle, Dandelion, Fennel, Sea Beet (a wild spinach) and on my walk yesterday I found a patch of Borage in some old ruins. In this part of the world it’s very easy to eat seasonally as there are two full growing seasons here and EVERY self respecting Portuguese citizen has a vegetable garden. Just last week I saw a debris field full of abandoned half-built apartments and construction junk and right in the middle was a dug-up plot planted with fava beans, onions and peas with a stack of large water bottles nearby under a bush. The Portuguese are frugal and the country is very poor.

If we go out socially, the restaurants we enjoy are usually family run and as such the food is from their own gardens or a local farm (chicken and pork) and of course, the sea. Now the wild asparagus and spring broccoli are in season so every place is serving these things on the menu… it’s just very cool I think. But I SO miss avocados, I touch them in the market and they’d hard as rocks (Thank you God for helping me resist).

I’m buying ‘side o Porco Preto’ for the freezer; this is a pig that’s raised in the green fields which eats mostly Acorns nuts, they are a specialty from the Alejento region of Portugal. AND as of today I’ve all the parts (old 55gal drum, 10-meters aluminum flexi dryer hose and an old Weber kettle grill, with a single gas camping type HOB installed) for to build a Cold Smoker…fish, garlic, chilies, peppers, goat-cheese etc. Am over the moon. I just don’t like the taste of oily fish but smoked it’s delicious and at 2.00 euros per Kilo for fresh caught Sardines and Mackerel I just needed to figure out how to get it past my taste-buds and into my tummy. Done that now. Good luck everyone and stay strong!

Oh dear Amazon I had been writing my Post over the last 3-hours off and on and didn’t read your Post before I uploaded mine.
    Please feel free to give me a tough-love cuff too if I slip-up over the coming months. I do my very best to accept honest feedback delivered with respectful kindness. This Forum of ‘transparent sharing’ which by its nature allows a place of reflection and ‘feedback’ is one reason we all write about our personal 5:2 journeys, struggles and successes, yes? Encouragement and Guidance. At least this is true for me. Bye for now, and stay strong .

oops I meant HappyNow not Amazon,

Hi Penti,

I came to this website and this thread after losing 42lbs doing 5-2 and then taking a break and regaining almost half of it. The support and advice has been exactly what I needed.
    We all need a kick occasionally and Happy (who is a successful maintainer) is very good at giving tough love.
    I’ve been losing and gaining the same few months and have just come home from a holiday having not gained any weight while I was away.I am also in a much better frame of mind than I’ve been for many months. I’ve gone back to what I was doing when I was losing 2lbs per week plus committed to giving up bread and added sugar until Easter to keep me on the straight and narrow.
    I’m home from my second morning this week at the gym and I am very hungry but it is only a few hours until dinner so I shall manage on water and coffee.

Viewing 50 posts - 12,951 through 13,000 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.