Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 6,601 through 6,650 (of 16,657 total)

• I can try it in my new food processor , nothing wrong with getting excited pal . keeps you young ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

Good morning/afternoon/evening fts.

Ply, snap wrt cauli ‘sauce’. A week or so ago I had some left over, along with roasted onion and capsicum and whizzed them up with a dash of Worcester sauce – yummo! Even my darling daughter, who detests brassicas in any form, didn’t detect the cauli (about 50% of the mix) and asked for the recipe ๐Ÿ˜†

Amazon, very envious that your gym has a pool, hope your ears didn’t suffer from earplug absence. Public (heated) pools are all a long way from here.

Beautiful sunny mild morning, heading for a top of 29C later in town, although that translates to about 25C here in the Adelaide Hills. This relatively mild weather is lovely so enjoying it while it lasts. Perth predicted for 37C today so we could get that next week.

Am so excited to discover that Emel and I actually live in the same village! HOODATHORTIT, as they say in the classics, that we ‘meet’ on a forum on the other side of the world to discover we live quite close. We are meeting for coffee this morning. Hope with Emel’s approval to take a pic and will post on the FTI FB page.

Have a good one everyone. N

Hi Wee, our posts crossed. Sleep tight my dear. N

Thanks Ply, now driving up the Hume Highway thinking about yummy cauliflower, what a great idea for a white sauce with no butter or flour! We often have cauliflower mashed instead of potato, you have taken it a step further!

Purple I can’t get my head around chips and ice cream, both yum but in opposite seasons! Reminds me a bit of my kiwi sis in law who puts a slice of hard cheese on top of fruit cake. The ice cream and chips must be a NSW thing!

Ply now I can have my cauliflower in cheese sauce, but with a cauliflower sauce instead, and minimal cheese…thankyou, brilliant!

Mmmm..cheese and fruitcake ๐Ÿ˜‰
    My son makes sate toast…vegemite, peanut butter and honey ๐Ÿ™
    Weird lot, our mob! ๐Ÿ™‚ P

Ah, sorry, cheese and fruitcake is a tried and tested northern England delicacy also! Wensleydale lends itself particularly well to the task…

P, I used to eat marmite and marmalade on toast… I can see that the sate toast would work.

Good evening Ply,
    Yes cauliflower sauce is a common vegan choice, I use it quite often, delicious. Have you looked at vegan recipe books, lots of ideas in them.

Chips in ice cream, yuk, apple pie in ice cream definitely preferred. In my childhood I used to eat sugar sandwiches, can you believe it? Seriously this was deemed a treat for a child. Another treat was bread and dripping( cooked meat fat)

Our future is sharing low carb, zero sugar, highly nutritious recipes.

Ply – you are lucky you are not local to me because I would be round for my dinner every night ha ha

Samm – I think you are right about Brazil nuts – maximum three in one sitting, they give you griping pains if you eat too many( well me anyway).

I used to have butter and sugar sandwiches too . I loved condensed milk on a sandwich too ( a piece ) in Scotland . We lived in the country and I used to lick the condensed milk off and give the farm horses the bread lol .
    If I had a sore throat my Mam would give me a lump of fresh butter rolled in sugar to such slowly ๐Ÿ™‚ . A crisp sandwich was to die for lol xx

My Papa( granddad) used to take a penguin biscuit in his bread sandwiches with him when he worked in the coal mines .

Wee xx

Jojo the dripping was probably more nutritious than the margarine people use today, that is grey sludge when it’s manufactured, before the yellow colouring is added. I remember dripping on fresh crusts after school!

Goodness, just noticed the time, must get off to bed. Not really tired but it will be a long day tomorrow. I stayed up late using my sewing machine. I made a bag for my yoga mat. It is turquoise fabric printed with 60’s camper vans, very retro.

I’m into 60s retro too Jojo.
    Bought an Andy Warhol sketch pad and journal for my next trip. Sleep well. P

Nicky and Ply

Thanks for the Cauliflower ideas. I am in the middle of my second fast for the week. Floors cleaned and washed, ironing all done. No more diversionary work to do. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Have lasted 20 hours without food. Looking forward to my vegetable soup in 10 minutes. Then we play 9 holes of golf. ๐Ÿ˜†

Cheers, Bay ๐Ÿ™‚

It was great to meet NickyF for the first time. We did not take a photo so will just have to have another coffee in a months time and take one to post. I am amazed as to how small our world is!

Mmmmmmm, cauliflower cheese, butter & sugar sandwiches (a childhood staple but with brown sugar and a banana if we were really lucky!) and cheese & fruitcake. Good thing it’s not a fast day for me. So many wonderful ideas for keeping the calories down too so thanks for the recipes & ideas. I’m rapt to say I’ve had another really good week and am down 1.4kg. I only weigh once a week (otherwise would either obsess, or eat at the slightest increase if I’d been ‘good’). So YAH!!!!! I now have less than 30kg still to lose, a mammoth amount to go and more than some of you weigh for all I know ๐Ÿ™‚ but I’ve lost 14.2kg (approx. 33lbs) with 5:2 and I am really happy with that. I’m only a couple of kg over my last lowest weight and that feels good as I did despair after 3 years that I’d even get back there again. I plan to go even further and one day reach goal. Still on track for spring so fingers crossed (and mouth SHUT when required). Happy fasting all!!

Comespring,

Congratulations on the weight loss. You do have a way to go yet to goal, no denying, but you’re a third of the way there already with 14kg gone aren’t you? So that’s amazing progress. And the rest? Well the losses will just creep up (or down!) on you and I expect you’ll feel a million dollars before you get to the end (except reaching goal isn’t the end, because then you’re into the uncharted territory of maintenance!).

Don’t just focus on the endpoint though, enjoy the journey, and take pleasure in the little revelations and discoveries (I have ribs! My knees don’t hurt walking down hill! I can run!) along the way.

Morning all.

FD again for me, and I’m having some fresh mackerel with gooseberry sauce for dinner, an idea I got from a Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall programme in his series about using fruit more.

Nicki, I searched for a gym with a pool as I knew that it was the only way I would swim regularly, because I never get round to going. About 50% of the gyms in this area (and there are many) have pools, so it was a case of finding one that had everything I wanted, at the right price, and not too far from home. It is a nice pool with a jacuzzi at one end, and a sauna, steam room and saunarium along one side. All I need is a cocktail bar ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I hope you had a good time with Emel. It is indeed a small world, especially as I have a friend who lives in the hills not far from where you work.

I love cauliflower and use it a lot. I have a nice recipe for an Indian style cauliflower curry which is a real favourite. I also like cauliflower soup. Cauliflower cheese is a favourite too, and I make a low calorie version with a fat free bechamel sauce, onions and mushrooms, and just put cheese on the top, and I have it as a vegetarian main course. I’m going to try using cauli mash next time I make a cottage pie.

Comespring, well done on your weight loss, it feels good doesn’t it.

Ice cream and crisps…yuck!
    Marmite…..I’m in the hate it camp, but I love Vegemite ๐Ÿ˜›

Well done Bay. If you need more distraction you could come and clean my place ๐Ÿ˜†

Have a great day/evening everyone.

All this talk about yummy food. Have just had smoked salmon and greens for dinner. Glad the fast day is over. Had 10 dry roasted almonds to get me through after golf.
    Hehe Amazon, maintenance is harder for me than losing weight ever was. ๐Ÿ™„ Cheers, Bay

Why do you find it so hard Bay?

Good question, Amazon. I am pondering and will write when I have worked it out. Bay ๐Ÿ™‚

I guess if you knew you would have done something about it :doh:

Great job on the weight loss, Comespring! HappyNow gives good advice…focus on all the benefits, large and small!
    Have a great day, everyone!

Hi Amazon

You may like to have a look at what I wrote on the Maintenance thread about this today. I think it’s a mystery exactly why, but maybe I need a new challenge that will replace the original weight loss challenge. I think I am an All or Nothing type personality which means that 5:2 is very doable for me. But now that the original weight loss has been achieved, I don’t need to be strict. And therefore it takes more discipline for me to stay on track ๐Ÿ™„ definitely a first World problem.

Maybe I will join Happy in a sugar free Lent just to have a new challenge to aim for. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Cheers, Bay ๐Ÿ™‚

Bay! Noooo! It isn’t me going sugar free for Lent, it’s FFS and Lichtle. I was just pondering the whole giving up thing. I’m added sugar free Sunday night to Friday night every week anyway, and don’t have a sweet tooth anymore, so it wouldn’t really be a challenge ๐Ÿ™‚

Re: why is maintenance harder than weight loss? This isn’t strictly a question for 5:2/ IF is it? It’s the age old shadow of yo yoing, waiting in the wings for all unsuspecting successful dieters to take their Wye off the ball!

Or even eye! off. The Wye being a large river in the UK…

As someone who has tried every diet under the sun, I’m hoping that the motivation to stay at goal and not put weight back on will be as strong as wanting to lose it.
    But I’ve got to get there first………………..

I am sorry to say I still have a sweet tooyh but I am very careful what I eat. My failing is ice cream but I am very happy with how my weight is going .
    yesterday I did a fast with under 80 calories . that included a sugar free jelly ๐Ÿ™‚ .
    I still call that a liquid fast as it was bovril and water .

Today I made myself a wee chocolate cake in the microwave with golden linseed and chocolate whey protein powder . Yummy and very filling and around 200 calories and 2 carbs . I loved it .

Still a lot of snow lying but the roads are all clear now . . have a lovely day everyone .

The wee laugh for Today I discovered when I hunch up my shoulders I have a space where I can lay something . I tried a pound coin in the space lol . I know it sounds mad and YES I know I have always had bones (as other half so kindly pointed out) but I have never seen these ones before . I am so happy lol xx

I first tried mackerel many years ago before I was an avid fan of fish, and I didn’t like it.
    I like smoked mackerel, and smoked mackerel patรฉ is very good, so I thought it was time to try again.
    I’ve just had mackerel fillet with grain mustard and a sour gooseberry sauce on a bed of salad leaves. I really enjoyed it and it was so filling I couldn’t eat it all, which is pretty amazing on the 2nd day of B2B fasting!

I also bought a kipper and am going to make kipper kegderee tomorrow and make it a really fishy weekend ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I’ve used my microwave steamer for the rice ๐Ÿ˜›

Morning Fast Trackers
    Nicky Emel comespring and Aussie O in South Australia Nama & Keirra in Victoria Bay in ACT PVE in NSW WiWi & Barata in NZ and Jojo SAMM HappyNow Amazon Herm Lizzy Ply Tartan lass Smiffy Lor_PA and Hello World (You know Who You) ๐Ÿ˜†
    AO yes I take your point on the weighing in caper ๐Ÿ’ก and well done on the weight loss and the measurements down 3cm in a week is fantastic the silly bugger that I am I did not take any measurements at all anywhere nor did I take a selfie ๐Ÿ˜ฅ newbies take it from me make sure you do !! Comespring outstanding stuff keep on keeping on Nicky and emel got the mojo on finally that is a good news story I am glad it went well as I live and breath is that you ๐Ÿ˜†
    Week 19 &I am down 400 grams this week now 74kg I am taking a break from the Saturday scales of justice for a month (Feb) I have Dr Krista Vardys Every Other Day Diet eBook and have switched to her program for a trial or a study of one if you like ๐Ÿ˜‰ ME it is one meal a day of 500cal or a 400cal meal and a 100cal snack I am on the one meal a day dinner of 500cal followed by whatever you like the next day so to TDEE. I donโ€™t get close to that now so no dramas there I follow 19/5 daily and have reworked my walk to push it out to around 7750 steps a trip x2 morning and afternoon so over 15000 steps a day now the suggested weight loss is 12lb/5.4kg for a month or 3lb/1.4kg a week and it is said to be especially good at burning visceral tummy fat on the trial of EOD diet the average male showed a decrease of the waistline of 5โ€ (12.7cm) which is ideal for me I will of course report back fast friends. BTW those grated hard boiled eggs and warm fried onions where amazing a total taste sensation they rocked my world and blew my mind big time and I did not share one crumb of it either ๐Ÿ˜Ž my bad ๐Ÿ˜ณ greed is good Amazon you know your stuff thankyou.
    Have a groovy weekend every one full of peace love and happiness
    RT

Amazon, that mackerel does sound mighty fine. My OH isn’t a huge fan of fish, but he’s away quite a lot in March so I can eat what I want – is that your or someone else’s creation?

Re: maintenance.
    None of us are failing to maintain, so don’t be disheartened.

And you’re right, the achievement is too precious to let it slip away!

I am not finding maintaining my weight hard, but committing to a full blown fast (when you don’t necessarily need to for maintenance at that moment) is hard! But it is the fast that acts as the reset, controlling portion sizes and curbing the sweet tooth/ carb craving, so the fast is necessary for long term maintenance. So you do need to do it…!

Also maybe it’s mentally hard because you don’t see results, you see no change! So there’s not the same positive reinforcement?

RT,
    I knew you would love the egg and onions. I like it spread on a big thick slice of bread ๐Ÿ˜†

I’m going to brave the scales tomorrow ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Happy, I found the recipe on the BBC website and doctored it to suit 5:2 as the original had cream in the sauce and oil on the fish. Why would you want to oil oily fish………..
    There are numerous recipes on line for mackerel and gooseberries.
    I cooked the berries with a tablespoonful of elderflower cordial, a splash of water and a small amount of Stevia. It should be sour, but I tasted it and thought it needed a tiny bit of sweetness.
    The mackerel was spread with grain mustard on the flesh side and then grilled skin side up until cooked.
    I removed the skin, which I wouldn’t have done if it wasn’t a FD, and put the fish and sauce on a bed of green salad.

I only used half of the sauce which was made with a 350g punnet of gooseberies found in the bottom of my freezer, so tomorrow I’m going to add some more stevia and mix it into yoghurt for a healthy gooseberry fool!

Hello All,
    Another quick post as I am off to the pub(actually two pubs) should be a good night. Off out with the girls( old girls).

Sounds as if everyone is working hard and losing, I will weigh in tomorrow.
    Night All

Jojo xx

Well said, Happy, sorry for the mixup over sugar free Lent. ๐Ÿ˜‰

All of us on the Maintainers thread are continuing to stay at goal weight. We periodically discuss what our motivation is, and if we need to find another reason to keep fasting two days a week. I really enjoy my Monday fast, and it’s only ever the second one in the week that causes me to say I find it hard. ๐Ÿ™„

Last night when I wrote the post, I was tired and feeling low after fasting all Friday. Today I’ve woken up feeling good. And it could be that it is the sugar withdrawal on the second fast day that causes me to feel low. Am seriously thinking of going sugar free with Lichtle and FFS.

Sorry for inflicting my low mood on you. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ Will keep such meanderings for the Maintenance Chatbox in the future.

Cheers, all. Bay ๐Ÿ™‚

Amazon, love your recipes. Will try this one soon. Bay ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Bay,

No need to apologise re: Lent. It has already been pointed out to me that I appeared to give the impression I was going to join in… I know people do give up things for Lent, but I had to Google Lent to understand why ๐Ÿ™‚

Amazon,

It’s so bloomin cold here at the moment, I really don’t want to go rummaging in the freezer for gooseberries. Not even sure there’s any in there… And the fruit freezer is in the shed and I’ll get hot aches before I even get there… Mmm, looks good though ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for the recipe!

Good Evening Losers (in the nicest possible meaning)

Listened to heavy rock music all evening, brilliant, culminating in ‘Black Night’, what a brilliant song that was, real head banging rhythm.

I am looking forward to fasting tomorrow. Lots of walking planned. I really need to stay home A bit more, lots of housework to do, every room needs some serious attention.

I have a very long list of tasks to complete this weekend, determined to finish every job so I can start with a clean slate next week.

Two meals ‘out’ planned this weekend, fish and veg only.

Bay – I do think ‘sugar’ does cause mood swings which is why I avoid it.

Morning everyone, RT you’re right re measurements, if I hadn’t done that I’d have been pretty upset a few times because the scales either didn’t budge or went to wrong way but the tape measure saved me each time (all three from memory).

I’m finding that now that I’ve embraced working with my goal weight TDEE and BMR that the weight is coming off steadily rather than 1kg, 100g, 200g, 0g I’m now getting 800g to 1.2kg each week at the moment so very happy with this.

I’m charging my fitbit while typing this all out and doing other internet things. Have cleaned out my craft room ready for new table to arrive (no more trestles for working on after today ๐Ÿ˜€ ).

Happy and Bay I’m almost sugar free now, only usually have something sweet on Fridays but think I should aim to be totally sugar free from next weigh day for a month’s trial and see from there perhaps extend for another month etc.

Boy I haven’t had gooseberries for years … I remember picking them for Mum to make a pudding for a Sunday during the season, we also grew black currants (I think they’re called blue berries now), and raspberries, I think there were others but I can’t recall them. When we went to England last my Aunt had raspberries just outside the back door and we’d pick one or two on our way through (each way) and munch on them … can’t beat freshly picked fruit … yumm!

Aussie Oma, sounds like you have found the secret that works for you! Keep up the good work!
    Never eaten gooseberries, but Inlove every other kind of berry!

Hi AO

Sugar free, wow! Blueberries are different to black currants. Black currants are sharper in flavour and more purple in juice. Blueberries grow wild in Scandinavia.

Cheers, Bay ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for the info re the berries Bay … I’ll at least TRY to go sugar free ๐Ÿ™‚

Good morning FT’s,
    Hurrah 1 kilo down today which makes me very happy. I really need to get stricter with calorie counting and recording this week. January has really passed quickly and the middle bit was wasted for weight loss. I really miss my digital scales, I don ‘t trust these mechanical ones.
    May need to invest in a new set.
    So plan is to stay on 19/5 everyday even social events if possible. Still avoid processed foods, carbs like bread- rice- potatoes, avoid alcohol and sugar. This sounds harsh to many but actually I am so used to this WOE it no longer seems like deprivation just my way of eating.
    400 cals on fast days and 1100 on non fast days. This is quite easy in 5 hours. Snacks include fruit. During fast period I drink green tea and if desperate tea with milk only( semi skim or 1%)
    Exercise will continue daily with either sports, walking or dancing. I now ensure that at least 20 mins walking everyday is fast paced, poor dogs, no more strolling along sniffing, they have to trot to keep up with me.

Enjoy your weekend chums, be happy.

Way to go Jojo. It IS amazing how quickly we can change our tastes in food and not feel at all deprived.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    I’ve been mowing, cleaning the pool, swimming late this afternoon…lovely.
    Asian cup on tonight…Australia vs Sth Korea in the final. The tennis is hotting up too. Sport for all tastes. ๐Ÿ˜‰ P

Morning/evening all.

The tennis might be hotting up but the temprature in Melbourne is going in the opposite direction…….

I have to pay some attention to the flat and do some serious cleaning today :yuck:

My scales are cheap and cheerful, and I don’t think they are very accurate. I need to give some thought to buying a decent set.

It is really interesting the way our tastes are changing with this WOE. I thought I might regret chucking out the Christmas cake but in fact I feel relieved that I don’t have to eat any more of it.

Have a good day/evening everyone

I’ve only lost 1lb which is 4lbs in the last four weeks. I had a whole week when I did no exercise at all, which was the right thing as my back is completely healed and I’ve been pain free for a couple of weeks which is the first time since last June. I’ve been doing less exercise over all as I’m trying not to do too much too soon in the gym, but will be up to 3 times per week starting Monday, and I’ll be doing an hour in the gym and 30 minutes swimming. However I’ve lost another inch from my waist which is amazing, so I’ll just keep on going, keep a closer eye on what I eat on non FDs as I know I’ve been eating too much. I look forward to getting on the scales next time and noting a loss ๐Ÿ™‚

Well done all you lovely loosers . I have lost too but I will wait until Monday to check exactly how much . .

My back has still wee twinges so I am still being careful how I lift and turn but getting on with everyday life OK .If it is still like this in a couple of weeks I will get a Dr appointment to see IF it is part of the RA .

When I was wee we called gooseberrys “hairy grapes ” because that’s what they looked like or goosegogs.
    The sun is shining here and the main roads are fine so I am going to pay dad another wee visit . Then we will either take him out ,or if he is still in bed we will go to Aldi ( for a wee change) .

Well I am off to do my hair and get reaDY .
    I love having all of the clothes that were put away because they were too wee but fit now . I have so much to pick from now ..

have a lovely day everyone

Wee xx

The kedgeree was lovely but I’m not bothering with kippers again. They are nice but I can’t be doing with all those bones :spit: I’ll stick with smoked haddock in future.

Hi All,
    I’m just checking in…. I’ve just finished my 3rd week doing 5:2. Gotta say I’m loving it. I have tried so many diets but I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything. 2 days a week is so doable. I’m going to spend the first 6-8 weeks just getting used to having 500 cals on 2 days a week before I start to experiment.
    Your posts keep me motivated and on track… I’m reading them all the time.
    Well done everyone on your weight losses and/or inches lost.
    I have just written all my measurements down (should’ve done it when I started) but already I can fit into my pre-pregnancy jeans (still a little tight so I can only wear them if I stand up all day!)Think I’ve lost just over 3Kg so that’s a plus.
    I’m off on a rare night out tonight as me and my husband are going out to celebrate our 1st year anniversary…. I’m drinking lots of water and eating low calorie food in anticipation for a meal out.
    Catch up with you all soon. Have a lovely weekend.
    Wineaholic.xxxx

Many happy returns Ply, toasting you with a cuppa

ply Smiley

Viewing 50 posts - 6,601 through 6,650 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.