Longevity path & a life well lived

This topic contains 64 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  rockyromero 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 65 total)

• With IF discoveries & studies, and new developing technology, longevity projections could well be beyond the 120 year lifespan.

This will raise our awareness of possibilities.

Most people may have an 80 year lifespan mindset, and, from my understanding, may not be thinking and viewing from the 120+ years perspective.

This article mentions research done over 50 years ago on IF and longevity:

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/01January/Pages/Does-the-5-2-intermittent-fasting-diet-work.aspx

Our habits are being developed even as we experiment with IF on ourselves.

So what would longevity look like?

What do we do with our newfound time?

My target long term is longevity.

My short term target is to stop snoring.

I don’t know yet which will come first.

I learned that I should continue 5:2 fasting, strengthening, cardio, adequate sleep, maintain relationships & keep up with other languages.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/sep/08/how-to-live-longer-experts-guide-ageing

Now I know what to do with my extra time.

Haha, interesting reading :). So I should look forward to a long life then, speaking 3 languages every day (Hungarian, Swedish and English to cover my duties at home and at work), being on 5:2, running 30 km a week… I need to improve my sleeping habits though!

Actually, I am not particularly interested in living to 120… I think this would be a horrifying prospect on a broader scale, given that the planet is already overcrowded. I am interested in living the years I eventually will get in full health though. I know it is a cliché, but to me it is more about adding life to the years than adding years to life! But I would not mind living to become 100 if I am still in good health and can contribute to friends and family at that age…

“Tobias Karlsson – but to me it is more about adding life to the years than adding years to life!”

@tobias, great thought!

If we could add more life to our years, then we would want as many more years as we could?

🙂

“If we could add more life to our years, then we would want as many more years as we could?”

Yes, you are right!

I am just saying that a long life in itself is not a goal for me. Diets and health indicators aside, I have realised that I need to be better at enjoying life short-term in suitable doses 🙂

I read of the struggles that many are facing with being hungry, losing weight or even obstacles that we continue to face in our lives.

I also have those struggles and more. Life & living struggles.

What if we could embrace those challenges?

What if those challenges really are the beginnings to defining the persons that we are becoming?

What if at some point, we look forward to those challenges with a sense of calm & peace?

Those that have reached a higher level of contentment with their fasting and are in some maintenance mode seem to have that sense of calm & peace.

I believe that we can have that flow state at any stage, even at the beginning of the fasting adventure.

It’s all in the preparation steps and mindset.

So what would that be or look like?

It occurred to me that a major challenge that exists for many of us is managing our expectations.

This has been covered in other threads:

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/managing-expectations/

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/long-term-expectations/

Speaking for myself, my expectations are to succeed, and to succeed fast. I look for evidence of success & it’s not appearing quickly enough or the success is incrementally small.

Much of the participation here on these forums is to obtain validation & support; where continuing on a beginning path of fasting would be much tougher on our own.

So I lowered my expectations.

I will get whatever results that I get. I’m OK with that. It removes much pressure off myself.

At some level, I may also have a fear that if that pressure to succeed is removed, then I would fail or completely stop.

Failure is not pleasant. It happens. I can accept that.

Stopping is total failure. I will not accept that.

What actually keeps me from failing & continuing to succeed, however minute the progress, is to continuously remember the path that I’m on & to stay on that path.

Has anyone else reflected on this or this fashion?

Interesting thoughts on longevity & strength training.

Brad Pilon reviews Michael M’s original documentary on Intermittent Fasting:

http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/the-52-diet-my-review/

Recently my wife and I watched a movie “Appaloosa” starring Marlon Brando.

I read good reviews about this movie and I actually thought it was a predecessor to a more current movie by the same name. My wife surprised me by saying that she knew who Brando was or had been.

Some of you may remember him, maybe from his glory years of movies.

And so I looked up his life story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlon_Brando

He did have a great ride of a life until…

Until his life ride stopped at the age of 80. His life really stopped way before then. I don’t know the turning point for his life that lead to his health decline. He did go through emotional roller coasters which could have brought an onset of food related issues.

I look for role models in longevity. Brando was & is a role model of what not to do from a health viewpoint.

There is little to gleem from the Wikipedia summary about Brando regarding his eating lifestyle. His results in healthy living declined over the years. He was a picture of health in his prime and deteriorated to a point where he was overweight at 300 pounds to do the movie “Apocalypse Now”, where the lights were dimmed in his scenes.

He was no stranger to fasting in preparation for some of his movie roles. However, he did not understand fasting as we know it from IF or 5:2 to stay healthy. It’s obvious now. Towards his later years, Brando could not get healthier staying with someone as emotionally challenged as Michael Jackson. Neither had a clue about staying healthy and their support was flawed or ignored.

Here’s my lesson: emotional stability, healthy lifestyle and a supportive environment is important to longevity.

Going on a health kick reverses ageing at the cellular level, researchers say, by lengthening telomeres.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24111357

This confirms what we know about health, fasting & longevity.

Hi rockyromero, I just read the research in the “Telegraph” and “The Times”. Basically, Excercise, Diet, (pulses, grains, fruit, little or no processed food and little meat), Yoga and Meditation is supposed to be the way forward as many know. The research originated in California I believe but only consisted of a small cohort of males. However it does give us hope and some pointers for the way forward. While longevity is still a long way off!!!!following a healthy lifestyle and diet generally results in better positive health all round.
    Good luck to you all out there.

Hi Rockyromero, just a couple of comments on some of your previous posts. You mention Brando, but remember Elvis?. He died sitting on the toilet,as a result of poor health, bad diet and drug abuse. As for living a long life?. Well yes provided certain illness have been eradicated such as cancers, dementia, alzhiemers, parkinsons etc etc. News today shows that Billy Connolly suffers from Prostrate cancer and Parkinsons, he is only 70 yrs old. Do I want to live to be 120 or 80?. If I was healthy then 80 is fine. Anything more with any of the mentioned illness or others then no thank you very much.
    I do agree with many of your comments though. I am a 65 yr old male with health issues and concerns about my lifestyle. I have found that this lifestyle has been a positive benefit to me and long may it continue.
    Good luck with your health.

@couscous
    “but remember Elvis?. He died sitting on the toilet,as a result of poor health, bad diet and drug abuse.”

↪Another example of what not do..I didn’t really know how he died.

” have found that this lifestyle has been a positive benefit to me and long may it continue.”

↪Same here & 5:2 lifestyle was something that I was looking for without knowing what was missing in my life.

Enjoy.

Calico Is Google’s New Company Dedicated To Health And Well-Being

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/calico-is-googles-new-company-dedicated-to-health-and-well-being/

This is an interesting initiative by a company that can afford to do the research.

We will all benefit by this when we actually take the recommendations.

It may all be obvious to us when they provide their conclusions, except for any advanced technologies that continues to evolve.

Hoping we hear soon…

Slow Getting Up: A Story of NFL Survival from the Bottom of the Pile.

“The human mind is really good at pushing pain down and away when you feel that there is a moment of glory up ahead waiting for you,” – Nate Jackson.

It’s always occurred to me that some athletes in some sports have a short life mentality.

Lions football player Nate Burleson suffers broken arm in crash because of pizza.

http://usat.ly/1alaRby

This is another way to shorten life faster accidentally.

Why do people lie about their age?

Nicholas Parsons says he has been covering up about his real age for years. Why are some people reluctant to say how old they are?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-24219342

As we fast, we age younger.

I believe that our age reflects something about us. Age categorizes us. With fasting, this belief changes. It will change more significantly for men more so than women. Are there more pre conceptions about women?

So, our chronological age may not reflect our physical age?

How much younger can we be by fasting?

The Affordable Care Act is going into effect on October 1st, 2013

http://www.hhs.gov/opa/affordable-care-act/index.html

Insurance and health care and well being are tied together. There are lessons to be learned from other countries, like the U.K.

Fasting and wellness goes a long way to postponing any medical intervention.

How will this affect you if you’re in the U.S.?

Fasting is what we have done all our lives.

⚫Longevity is a function of confidence.
    ⚫Confidence is a function of discipline.
    ⚫Discipline is a function of well being.
    ⚫Well being is a function of fasting.

I took a longevity test on this site:

https://www.livingto100.com

After answering the questions, I received this result:

Your calculated life expectancy is 105 years.

Then I was asked:

What would you like to work on to add years to your life?

✔️Weight
    ✔️Education
    ✔️Exercise
    ✔️How can I tell if I have saved enough to retire?
    ✔️Lowering Cholesterol
    ✔️Lowering Blood Pressure

I received this individual summary:

⚫️Lifestyle

+ 0.25
    Moving to a place where the air quality is better could add a quarter of a year to your life
    + 1.0
    If it is ok with your doctor, taking an 81 mg aspirin every day improves your heart and brain health and could help you delay or escape a heart attack or stroke. Taking an aspirin each day, perferably in the evening, could add 1 year to your life expectancy.
    + 0.5
    Ultraviolet rays present in sunlight and tanning beds greatly increase your risk of skin cancer, including melanoma. They also increase wrinkles. Minimizing your sun exposure could add half a year to your life expectancy

⚫️Nutrition

+ 0.5
    It is unclear if your current weight puts you at increased risk for heart disease or cancer. None the less, by no longer being overweight you would likely improve your overall health and could increase your life expecatancy by half a year or more.
    + 0.25
    The more you can get fast foods out of your diet the better. While you are already doing a pretty good job of doing so, completely removing fast foods from your diet could add a quarter of a year to your life expectancy
    + 0.5
    Osteoporosis (brittle bones) is a terrible disease that becomes more common with older age. Among the important ways to prevent osteoporosis, it is important to have adequate amounts of calcium in your diet. Add more dairy products to your diet or take 1500 mg of calcium a day. Doing so could add a half a year to your life expectancy.
    + 1.0
    Iron is likely an age-accelerator and increases risk for age-related diseases. Stopping your iron supplement could add a year to your life expectancy
    + 0.5
    Being more active in your leisure time, other than exercising, could add half a year to your life expectancy

⚫️Medical

+ 0.5
    Decreasing your systolic blood pressure (the first of the two numbers) to 120 or even lower could add half a year to your life expectancy
    + 0.5
    Decreasing your diastolic blood pressure (the second of the two numbers) to less than 80 or even lower could add half a year to your life expectancy

Longevity Calculator Personal recommendations

⚫️ How Do You Cope With Stress?

Excellent! Managing your stress in such a way that it doesn’t eat away at you, and in your case actually acts as a motivator is tremendous. Your ability to manage stress effectively will substantially improve your life expectancy and increase the number of healthy years ahead of you.

⚫️ Stress factors:

It is wonderful that you have not noted significant stressors in your life. Alternatively, perhaps there are what would normally be regarded as stressors in your life, but you find they don”t adversely affect you. Nonetheless, consider the below strategies for reducing the effect of stress. Adopting one or more of these that fit well for you might even add years to your life.

⚫️ Sleep Habits

It is terrific that you are getting adequate and quality sleep. Adequate sleep is also a sign of good health.

⚫️ Education

Those added years of education will likely increase your life expectancy for obvious reasons such as your being a more informed consumer of health care and your being more likely to partake in healthy behaviors such as not smoking and having a healthy diet. Regarding your brain health, continue to participate in cognitively challenging activities, exercising parts of your brain that haven”t been used so much – new activities that are difficult (what neuropsychologist Paul Naussbaum terms .novel and complex.). Learn a new language or musical instrument; if you don”t have time for these most potent activities, try crosswords, Scrabble, bridge, sculpture or painting, but when you get good at something, move on to another cognitively challenging activity. Cognitively challenging activities as an adult, have been shown to delay the onset of Alzheimer”s disease and to slow its progression.

⚫️ Hours on the Job

A recent Japanese study of the relationship between work hours and heart attack risk revealed that men who worked, on average, 11 hours or more a day had twice the risk of heart attack. Interestingly though, those who worked less than 7 hours a day were also at increased risk. If you find your current workload comfortable and that you are taking advantage of your leisure time to perform healthy and enjoyable activities, good for you and keep up the good work!

⚫️ Optimism

Your optimism likely has a real impact upon your longevity! According to Dutch investigators who, over a decade, tracked 1,000 people ages 65 to 85, people who are open to opportunities and possibilities have a 55 percent lower risk of death; in doing so, you end up less stressed, happier, healthier and more long-lived.

⚫️ Brain Strengthening

Excellent! Your brain strengthening activities can help you delay or escape memory loss and perhaps Alzheimer”s disease.

Best place to age gracefully: Sweden

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-24346962

USA was in the top 10 with some surprising spots for other countries.

Bästa stället att åldras med värdighet: Sverige

Rockyromero,

Talar du svenska? The visualization technique sounds interesting. Would be great if it works.

@tidychick
    “Talar du svenska? ”

Jag kan kommunicera med en translater & det är ett bra incitament för att nu flytta till Sverige.

“The visualization technique sounds interesting. Would be great if it works.”

It works. Just experiment, trusting that it’s possible.

Day 2 of The Affordable Care Act or Obamacare and confusion reigns in the USA.

The young and healthy would rather pay a penalty then sign up for insured health care.

Those with prior medical conditions will sign up quickly.

It pays to be healthy.

Rockyromero,

Are you moving to Sverige? I am from Denmark and it is always listed as the happiest place to live. People eat healthier and walk /bike a ton. Plus, there isn’t all the food coloring and preservatives and junk in food. I think that plays a huge part.

Live in the states now where we drive everywhere and eat lots of junk, and all sorts of yuck in our food. So this 5:2 has been a great blessing.

@tidychick
    “Are you moving to Sverige?”

I will visit there, one day.

I enjoy living in Chicago and expect to get healthier. I already walk/run/bike whenever I can in the downtown area.

Yes, the 5:2 lifestyle helps towards longevity for many of us.

I WOULD like to live to ripe old age, old enough to see my much-loved great nephews reach their majority, which takes me to the mid-90s. There is a history of longevity in my family, although my mother only made it to 72, but then she died in an accident. However, if my health was poor and I could no longer operate independently, I’d prefer to go sooner, rather than later. My yardstick is if I can’t wipe my own bum I don’t want to be here!

As for mental and intellectual health, at 73 I’m still firing on all cylinders, continuing to work as a freelance linguist and back at uni part-time doing a Master’s degree. I know that is no guarantee I won’t lose it – think of Iris Murdoch, one of the great minds of the 20th century who ended up, at 79, capable only of sitting in front of the TV watching the Tellytubbies. But at least I’m trying and I’m hoping 5:2 might help.

I confess to sometimes lying about my age, or rather failing to mention it, for professional reasons. I’m very good at what I do and thoroughly enjoy doing it and in my business – translation – many people go on well into their 80s and beyond. To be honest I didn’t really hit my stride until 60. However, I work on the fringes of the media and I fear that if some clients new my age, they would cease to send me work. Worse, if I happened to have a very, very rare bad day – which can happen to anybody – they would no doubt assume that I was only fit to be put out to grass.

@hermajtomomi
    “There is a history of longevity in my family, although my mother ”

My great Aunt lived to 105 and I’ll take that as longevity running in my family. Recently taking the longevity test, it measured my longevity index right at 105.

“My yardstick is if I can’t wipe my own bum I don’t want to be here!”

Hilarious !

“I’m still firing on all cylinders, continuing to work as a freelance linguist and back at uni part-time doing a Master’s degree.

Yay, great success and I’m thinking that 5:2 increases mental acuity.

@hermajtomomi
    “I confess to sometimes lying about my age, or rather failing to mention it, for professional reasons. ”

I feel the same way, since age is used to prejudge. Usually, in business, age is irrelevant as a consultant but could be a differentiator in other situations.

“I work on the fringes of the media and I fear that if some clients new my age, they would cease to send me work. ”

That’s a real concern and depending on the industry, like technology, a younger mindset or youth inclination is more prevalent.

With 5:2 fasting, we can look younger and possibly bypass the age question.

Thanks for two great replies, rocky, I think, or at least, I hope, you’re right about 5:2 increasing mental accuity, although I have to say I started out on the MA well before I began Fasting.

Re ageism in various industries, few of my clients ever get to see me. I do look somewhat younger – good genes and sensible skincare have left me with a complexion that would not disgrace someone in their mid-50s. And a decent haircut with judicious highlights (and I DON’T mean a pensioner perm and a blue rinse!) also helps. Those I do see are also friends in their mid-50s to early 60s who assume that I’m of similar vintage. And in the dusk with the light behind me I certainly pass.

This is one advantage of being overweight. In Spain they say at a certain age women must choose between “cara” or “culo” – face or butt, i.e. a nice, youthful face with large behind, or a pert little butt with a face with as many lines as a road map.

BTW, I see you’re in Chicago – great, great city I visited for the first time last year.

@hermajtomomi
    ” In Spain they say at a certain age women must choose between “cara” or “culo” – face or butt, i.e. a nice, youthful face with large behind, or a pert little butt with a face with as many lines as a road map.”

I have not heard this saying. Depending on the situation, it could be flattering or insulting.

I know this thinking exists, probably globally.

With 5:2 lifestyle and exercising, we become healthier internally and our external looks will reflect that.

It applies to both men and women. Although, I do know that in some countries, looking overweight is a sign of financial success & prosperity.

Outliving others & living well may be the justification for our efforts and the foundation for new beliefs.

As you say, rocky, in some countries, looking overweight etc… That I think was where my weight problem began. In wartime GB a bonny (euphemsism for “fat”) bouncing baby was regarded as a sign of prosperity, so I was great publicity for my upwardly-mobile parents. To be fair I wasn’t fed on junk, just good, home-cooked food in far-too-large portions. I’ve been working it off ever since!

I once had a countdown life clock that I bought from Sharper image.

The idea made so much sense to me then: track and watch the life clock count down. The object then is to do something significant before time was up. I forgot what the promotional messages were. It made sense to me then and it still makes sense to me now.

Oh, it also was electric with a battery backup. It wouldn’t make sense to have the life clock stop prematurely. Well, it did. It was more trouble than it was worth. I was more fascinated than motivated. I put it in storage and time passed.

My time passed. All our times pass.

Other things motivate us.

But the idea has never died. Someone thought to create a countdown life watch for the wrist.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/259499751/tikker-the-wrist-watch-that-counts-down-your-life?ref=search

After answering some personal questions, the time left is determined which is then entered on the watch. Then, I suppose since I don’t own one, just watch the time and get motivated.

The object is to live long and live fully.

Hmmm…

It’s interesting for me to coordinate countdown and countup dates. There’s an app for that.

Especially when birthdays and anniversary dates are crucially important. So I have, with the advent of smart devices, numerous ways of reminding me to remind others of their special moments. It used to be that we could mail cards. No longer. Emails, texts, calls and Facebook now provide JIT (just in time) awareness.

We are already 289 days into 2013, with 75 days until the new year, 2014. That was fast.

130 days until I hustle up 94 floors at the Hancock building in Chicago. I should continue training and register soon.

179 days until my taxes are due. They’re usually filed months before to get the returns. No sweat here.

And towards the end of my list of important countdown/countup dates are two remaining entries.

Days to live.

Days lived.

Over 3600 days ago, I crossed the midway line of what I expect (hope) is my life expectancy. It’s easy to calculate. Yet, it’s still best guesstimates.

I don’t feel anxious about it. It just gets faster now, it seems.

But I do have a medical procedure with a doctor soon.

That causes anxiety.

In space, there is no concern for weight.

We brought our family with us to see the movie, Gravity. In the movie, the least of concerns were eating and maintaining weight. In such a short depiction, the audience only gets to see the dramatic moments.

In this drama, there is no concern for food.

It’s a different perspective in space than what we have here on earth where there is gravity.

Longevity has a different perspective if we were to travel through time.

It seems that we already do time travel.

Learn How to Time Travel In Just 3 Minutes

http://youtu.be/FflcA85zcOM

It also appears that we could slow the aging process by time traveling.

But we already knew that?

The problems with aging.

Currently, much of our technology that extends life actually extends life in poor health, while the number of years lived in good health remains unchanged.

http://mashable.com/2013/10/24/google-calico/?utm_campaign=Mash-BD-Synd-GCurrents-All-Full&utm_cid=Mash-BD-Synd-GCurrents-All-Full&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Living in a bad state of health might explain why many people have no interest in living longer.

I have a conflict that I’m struggling with, and it may be a conflict of values.

I value longevity and well being in myself and others.

Yet, I enjoy watching American football where clearly the opposite happens.

In the last 2 decades, players have started to suffer the effects of head concussions. More recently suicides, depression and extreme violence by present & former players is occurring.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9948613/ex-miami-dolphins-star-mark-duper-shows-signs-cte

A financial settlement of over $765 Million was recently negotiated. This is a temporary band aid & reflects a permission to continue as they were doing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/18/sports/football/many-ex-players-may-be-ineligible-to-share-in-nfl-concussion-settlement.html?_r=0

So that’s my dilemma: I advocate health and at the same time, I enjoy watching the sport and accept the consequences to the players.

Often, I’ll reflect of what it may have been like in the Roman Coliseums of old. There were gladiators fighting each other to the death, and the audience would vote on the outcomes.

True, in watching the sport of football, I admire the athleticism and not the injuries. The injuries that we can see, such as shoulder or legs or limbs are attended to. The injuries that we cannot see, the brain injuries, still allow the players to continue. It’s these last injuries that have a forever effect & shortens the life span of that person.

I was relieved to know that my daughter refuses to have my grandson play football, even though he showed much talent at an early age. He was also privately coached by a former NFL star quarterback last year.

I wouldn’t want to see this with those that I love, yet I willingly watch the games.

At some level, I’m hoping that no one that I know sees me watching football.

Maybe, like food fasting, one day there may be a football fast.

It would be healthier.

I wondered if we knew for certain that we could live another 100 years or at least over 100 years, in almost the healthy state that we are in now, would we want to?

Maybe put in more qualifiers, at our optimum physical, mental and emotional state?

Would you want to?

I think I would, but I’d like to return to a younger physical state. At 72, I’m pretty healthy, but too many aches, pains, and limitations.

But I’m fascinated by the pace of change, and would love to see more of what is to come !

@golfingoldy

“But I’m fascinated by the pace of change, and would love to see more of what is to come !”

So am I.

It’s coming from a technology standpoint. And processes like 5:2 are already here.

I believe it’s an attitude that’s required at this time. That attitude may be that longevity is possible for oneself and its our obligation to discover how to continually approach it.

It also gives us a stronger purpose for the actions that we take.

Hi Rocky, are we as individuals or as society, mentally equipped to live active, healthy lives into 10, 11 or 12 decades or longer?. Put all other issues to one side and focus on individuality, to be living a physical and mental active life at 120 yrs old. I am not just talking about being 120 but also the surrounding generations. The teenagers, the 40, 50, 70 yr olds. Are we mentally equipped to live longer, hopefully healthy lives and, just as importantly are the younger generations, whatever their ages mentally able to live among people who are 120 plus yrs old?. I am putting your comments back to you in a different way but it is I believe the most important question to be confronted. Put simply, are we prepared for longevity?.

@couscous

” are we as individuals or as society, mentally equipped to live active, healthy lives into 10, 11 or 12 decades or longer?. ”

There are probably very few that are mentally stable to have an extended lifespan. As humans, we are very adaptable. With a strong purpose for living longer, I see this as a lessor challenge.

“Put all other issues to one side and focus on individuality, to be living a physical and mental active life at 120 yrs old. I am not just talking about being 120 but also the surrounding generations. ”

I think the bigger issue is an emotional stability. Living longer than friends and families would be very difficult. Getting over the sadness, let downs, and unmet expectations is already difficult. Appropriate preparation and emotional balance would be required.

“Are we mentally equipped to live longer, hopefully healthy lives and, just as importantly are the younger generations, whatever their ages mentally able to live among people who are 120 plus yrs old?.”

Again, I feel that we are adaptable subject to our having meaning in our existence. With more free time available, we would want to be increasingly valuable to each other. It’s when we feel that we are a liability to our families and society that emotionally and physically we would want to check out.

“Put simply, are we prepared for longevity?.”

Longevity will happen for the majority of us that live in richer environments. Those that can afford it. People want longevity if only because we fear death more than living longer.

How do you feel knowing that you live twice as long now than your ancestors?

I believe fasting, and specifically 5:2, will add 10 to 20 years to our lives.

Consequently, scientists think depression can make you older, quicker.

http://www.ajc.com/news/lifestyles/health/scientists-think-depression-can-make-you-older-qui/nbqhf/

It’s the ability to have ongoing emotional balance even through setbacks that makes the difference.

Hi Rocky, thank you for your thoughts. A couple of points. As an Ambulance driver I deal with the elderly all of whom suffer some form of mental health along with the physical issues. Many have suffered emotional depression following the death of a loving husband or wife and some, quite simply are waiting to die because of their painful loss. Many subsequently live a lonely life because siblings have to move around the country or the world to find work and then settle down, have families and simply cannot return to support elderly parents.
    The second point, picking up on a comment you made. “Longevity will happen for the majority of us that live in richer environments”. I have to put an argument to you. I am fearful that society, as we can see already is separating into the haves and have nots, life expectancy for many in many countries already differs based on socio economic lines. Will the same happen with longevity?. Will “Age Ghettoes” develop among the richer and poorer?. Will we see 100 yr old plus “healthy” sections of society living apart from the less healthy 70 – 80 yr olds who are also physically and mentally less well off?. And if so what will be the result for society in general?. Or will they simply integrate into society?.

@couscous

“Many have suffered emotional depression following the death of a loving husband or wife and some, quite simply are waiting to die because of their painful loss. ”

The emotional well being is as important as the physical and mental health. For those that can afford the professional support or can maintain the emotional family support will be even more critical.

“society, as we can see already is separating into the haves and have nots, life expectancy for many in many countries already differs based on socio economic lines. ”

This will continue and even accelerate as the world’s population grows from 7B to 10B in the next 50 years. From what I follow, it’s the technology, processes, and willingness of people that will enable the physical components of the human body to approach longevity. Already, the only critical component yet to be cloned or implanted is the brain.

“. Will “Age Ghettoes” develop among the richer and poorer?. Will we see 100 yr old plus “healthy” sections of society living apart from the less healthy 70 – 80 yr olds who are also physically and mentally less well off?”

This is already happening, more so from socio-economic conditions. The world food distribution and self sustainability is starting to evolve so that people can eat and extend their lives.

The movie Elysium depicts this scare scenario of a separated wealth and health class of the future. It’s a notion that makes movie drama, but I believe that the world changes will be more subtle and adaptable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elysium_(film)

“And if so what will be the result for society in general?. Or will they simply integrate into society”

As humans, we are highly adaptable and cohabitation and subtle integration will continue. The only aspect that will emerge more significantly is being and feeling valuable to ourselves and others.

Self worth and self esteem, like today, will be valuable in the future.

We are the living experiment.

“When Berardelli leaned forward and asked Caruso how he had achieved his remarkable longevity, the centenarian said with an impish smile, “No Bacco, no tabacco, no Venere—No drinking, no smoking, no women.” He added that he’d eaten mostly figs and beans while growing up and hardly ever any red meat.”

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/05/longevity/hall-text

Gene biotech discoveries will make significantly faster longevity strides more than “No Bacco, no tabacco, no Venere” ever did.

I saw the movie ‘Bullitt’ again for the umpteenth time last night which starred Steve McQueen.

It just came on the channel following a special show that I had an interest in watching. It was a pleasant moment to watch it for the car chase scene, so I told myself. My wife joined me, and together we watched and I explained background parts of the movie that are not so obvious to someone unfamiliar with this movie genre.

Whatever happened to Steve McQueen, the highest paid actor of his time?

He died.

He died at 50. My wife said, “so young to die, must be drugs.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McQueen

His last movie, ‘Hunter’ featured the building that I live in now, with another car chase scene that culminates with a car diving off the 20th floor of my building onto the river below. See it just for that scene, if you can sometime.

A movie hero to me and many others did die of a reckless life that included drugs & alcohol abuse. It’s shortivity thinking instead of longevity planning.

Towards the end of his cancerous days, Steve McQueen was desperate for life and made even more reckless choices.

Maybe a movie hero and star of his caliber had to go through what he did to project his on screen performance.

Maybe not.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply.