Little Voices February love ourselves challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Little Voices February love ourselves challenge

This topic contains 207 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  GL502 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 208 total)

• If you KNOW yourself and understand yourself, the why of “why I’m overweight” becomes pretty much obvious. I’m overweight because I just don’t stop eating. I’d lost that connection with food as nourishment and eating was just something I did and I really didn’t think about it. I didn’t plan, anticipate, enjoy the buy, the preparation, the cooking or even particularly the consumption.

Fasting has changed my relationship with my food. My food quality is better, better prepared, enjoy the experience of cooking, I’m not just throwing stuff together, I anticipate how it will taste, it does tastes better, it is more nutritious and I do eat less and I am spending less on food.

The whole dynamic of my energy intake has changed. I feel better. I have more energy. I sleep better. I have much better interactions with those around me. My health is so much better I couldn’t begin to describe it.

It all starts with knowing you. Caring about you. Loving yourself. There has to be the ME in you. It’s not a selfish thing. It’s a KNOWING you and being more than alright with that. So much springs from that single point.

Fast day 2 of 13 checkin:

Monday fast day was fine, water only – I’m starting to prefer this, mainly because it seems easier for me, based on my “Feaster” characteristics.

Interesting snippet, I came across in my re-education of diet and nutrition:

Drinking three diet sodas a day doubles your risk of obesity. A 7 year study from the Univ of Texas Health Science Centre involving more than 3,600 people, those who drank three or more artificially sweetened beverages per day were nearly twice as likely to become overweight or obese.

I’m fast coming to the conclusion that it’s a jungle out there, there are so many predators driven by money and greed, that don’t give a damn about the health of people.

Some newbie takeaways : Take time for yourself, have an open mind, question established facts – it might initially be exhausting, but it’s giving you the tools to make smarter decisions and share.

Bill.

Quietone, thank you for everything you do on these forums!

Bill.

Wait a second…… I’m doing something????

I’m not honest. Stop spreading rumors!

Hi everyone. Would it be ok if I join the Feb challenge just now? I’m just starting out on 5:2 (this being my first week). Fasting Tue and Thurs. I will commit to 8 fasts at least and I really want to loose 8lbs this month. This is my first goal. As well as fasting I hope to start jogging on a much more regular basis than I have ever done before. (I am not a runner but I would like to build up to possibly doing a race in the future). I will also be a bit more careful about my sugar intake.

Good luck everyone.

Hi Treenser you are very welcome to join this group of very positive people. I see you have a little information on your profile but where do you live? With young children how do you manage to fit in some me time?
    Did any one actually blow a kiss to themselves? I did then giggled not only doing it but thinking there may be people all over the world doing the same ha ha!
    Q1 that last bit of your post was so apt for the theme for this month. Thank you.
    I have found I have been repeating these words quite a few times over the last few days – if we really want it we will find a way, if we don’t we will find excuses. So true for a lot of things in life. Nite all x

Hi CODA: great words of encouragement from you again. Your reference to making excuses reminded me of a very simple teaching about excuses, blame and denial traits that many of us slip into without sometimes realising it. Here’s a very simple explanation of the “Above the Line” mentality and way of living that will relate to our 5:2 lifestyles:

http://pascaletherainmaker.com/2/post/2013/09/living-below-the-line-vs-living-above-the-line.html

How often when we might miss a planned fast day or exceed our TDEE any day do we “make excuses” or “blame” some external influence for causing it to happen, rather than take personal responsibility for our actions and most importantly learn from the experience and make sure it doesn’t happen again from the same circumstances. The worst trait of below the line living is being in Denial that there is actually a problem.

Now most of us in this Forum wouldn’t be here if “denial” was part of our lives because simply by embrassing the 5:2 lifestyle we have taken Responsibility to improve our lives and this Forum is a way to keep ourselves Accountable for our actions. Ownership of actions completes the total picture and keeps us Above the Line.

We do need to be careful however when those little slip ups happen, make sure we don’t “blame” an external influence like a social lunch or an afternoon tea at the bakery down the road. Above the line living says you take Ownership for your actions and not Blame someone or something.

One good way of changing our personal traits is to print the little image above and stick it somewhere where it’s a reminder every time we see it (the old fridge door works well for many). One client I had once stuck them all over his house (even a laminated copy in his shower) so he was constantly reminded of his Above The Line lifestyle. It was amazing to see the change over a few weeks/months that transpired with this guy and his business success took off just because he stopped making excuses and blaming others for his own short comings.

So folks, Live Above The Line at all times and you’ll be amazed how your view on life becomes so different. Remember it takes 3 or 4 weeks to break an old habit so keep consciously working on it and you’ll be amazed at your results. Cheers, Mike

Hi Everyone, I’m closing in on the end of my second FD. It’s going well, though I still get cold: warm hat on my head and my feet on a heating pad as I type.

Q1 and AH, thanks for your thought-provoking posts to inspire us through the month of February.

Q1 thanks also for the link to that elaborate spreadsheet. I’ve been keeping a FD log and, by entering the food before I eat it (some Little Voices wisdom), I’ve been doing pretty well. When I get to maintenance stage, there will be a period of adaptation. Long term though, I will consider myself successful when the good habits are so ingrained that I won’t have to record anything.

I’ve been following the sugar conversation here with interest, probably because Dr. Lustig is local. My SIL is a RD/nutritionist who advised me decades ago to eat a moderate, balanced diet low in fat, but not a “low fat” diet because of all of the sugars being piled into the processed foods. It seemed the bigger “Low Fat” was printed on the label, the more hazardous the food. She also reminded me that 1 gram of protein and carb each have 4 calories while 1 gram of fat has 9. Further, that eating fat is essential, as some important nutrients are fat-soluble. All that, plus a lesson in the difference between simple and complex carbs went a long way. It’s been good advice. And as 5:2 requires minding calories, choosing some foods lower in fat helps keep within FD and TDEE totals.

From what I’ve read and heard, Dr. Lustig doesn’t seem to condemn a diet low in fat, only the high-sugar diet masquerading and labeled as “Low Fat.” He is a proponent of eating around the edges of the supermarket while avoiding the center aisles, which implies eating from the fresh produce section, the butcher, the seafood counter and the diary section. While it’s certainly possible to make poor choices, if you keep to minimally processed foods from each of those sections, it’s a good start on a healthy diet.

I like to double-check my diet by looking at the trash leaving my kitchen; the compost bag with its fruit, vegetable and meat trimmings should be big, while the recycle and landfill bags of packaging should be small.

Hope everyone is feeling good about the start toward their February goals. ST55

I Eat a a high fat/low carb diet after discovering I had an intolerance to wheat back in May. At 67 years old I had no idea that what I was suffering from was related to wheat/gluten. I decided to cut out all grains. I bought the book called THE REAL MEAL REVOLUTION by Prof. Tim Noakes and Jonno Proudfoot. (South African). What an eye opener! Whilst they advise cutting out root vegetables and fruit, which produce too much sugar , I haven’t cut them out as they are the foods I love. But having taken most carbs out of my diet, I have slowly but surely reduced in weight, and most of the time don’t get the symptoms that made me feel like sludge in a bucket! I can now eat the lovely cheese/full fat dairy products that I love without guilt (and in moderation) and have lost my cravings for the cakes/pastries that were always on the menu. I use this book along with Mimi Spencer’s Fast Diet Cookbook for a variety of recipes and have some great dishes to eat on a fast day, without feeling deprived. I do have the occasional slip, but immediately remember why I gave up carbs in the first place. Hope this information is helpful. Another book I know, but this one doesn’t just sit on the shelf. I just keep re-reading it and find something new every time. TTL

Fast day 3 of 13 checkin:

Yesterday was a good water only fast day – today is another water only fast day, this is my first time with two water only fasts back to back, fingers crossed.

One thing I have been experimenting with on Non fast days is slowing down when eating, traditionally, I’ve been a bit of a wolf it down guy, eating ridiculously fast- slowing my eating down is perhaps one of the best habits I am trying to establish. Slowing down when eating, significantly helps in me staying within my TDEE.

Bill.

TTL, High fat diets certainly work for many – evidenced by traditional Arctic peoples. As my SIL says, a craving for bacon will never be satisfied by carrots, no matter how many carrots you eat! And thanks, I’ll look for the Real Meal Revolution book. I have the original FD book, with its meal plans. Just wondering, many of the FD recipes specify, for example, low-fat cottage cheese or non-fat yogurt. Do you substitute the full fat versions and make caloric adjustments elsewhere?

Last summer I had a first time experience of cooking for a friend with celiac disease. The first thing I did when I learned she was coming for dinner was to empty and scrub the kitchen top to bottom. I adore her and her husband, who thankfully is a retired nurse, but it was nerve-wracking to realize that if I goofed, the evening could end with a call for emergency services! Fortunately everything went fine. Just like sugar has been sneaked into our foodstuffs, I was startled to learn where gluten lurks. You have a tall order TTL!

Nutrition is still a very new science, and our food production systems are changing so fast, it’s hard for researchers to keep up. I’m curious about future findings regarding the influence of environments and genetics, as thousands of years ago, diet was largely determined by where people lived. Its exciting that we still have lots to learn. ST55

Halloa all! On my way to do a 12 hour night shift 😰😰
    I am from South Africa. Our Prof Tim Noakes started a revolution with the Real Meal Revolution, or Banting diet. Similar to Atkins, but this is not a high protein diet, but high fat, moderate protein and low carb. Amazing health benefits. His book is a great read, totally worth it!

Visitors all gone – until the next lot arrive in 3 days, so it was a welcome fast day today. More events have cropped up in the coming weeks so it will be a challenge. Am keeping the good advice from the wise heads in this forum.

Hi Sweet Tooth – Yes, I do use full fat everything and adjust the calories. I don’t obsess about it, just an approximation. I feel that having cut the carbs, this is already reducing my weight, so a little extra fat won’t hurt.
    Riana – great to hear from someone who’s familiar with the Prof. We were vising friends in Swazi last year who introduced us to his way of eating. We bought the book and haven’t looked back. As mentioned, I still eat root veg and fruit, but do buy organic where possible so hopefully getting none of the nasties from sprays and insecticides etc. I saw a kinesiologist while in Swazi too, it was her that pointed out my wheat problem. This was after numerable visits to the doc here, previously thinking I had cancer of the throat/oesophagus after two years of worry.
    Action – love your post about living above the line. Have to admit to living below the line for most of my life, I believe a learned thing from childhood. I shall endeavour to live above the line in the future, its amazing what I am learning from you lovely people across the world. why aren’t we teaching these things to the kids in school? It’s this kind of information we need to get us through life, not towards the end of it!
    Good fast day yesterday, and still sitting at 9st 2lbs. Nearly there! Happy fasting folks. Remember you are doing this for a healthy body! TTL

Hi all – just a quick post as I catch up on everyone. Very positive posts and AH thank you for that link. I bookmarked it so I can read some more. 2nd Fast day for me and I found it tough at the beginning of the day – could easily have crumbled but I have stuck to it with having had only one cup of coffee – will have another later in the afternoon and then home. Not sure what, if anything I will have when I get there but may take someone’s advice and have a nice bubble bath and read a book for some me time (cus I’m worth it)! Next week I am planning on 2 b2b fasts as my hubby and I are off for a few days to Donegal, hopefully the weather will be kind so we can get some nice walks.

‘Don’t be afraid to rely on others to help accomplish your goals’ – this is true of this forum and with the help given this will certainly help each and everyone of us – we are not alone but all on this journey together. A very well done to those who are nearing the end of the road but I hope will be hanging around for the rest of us to catch up so we can all celebrate.

I know I’m a little late, but I would love to hope on board for February. January was my first month on 5:2, and I’m so happy to have finally found something that fits me. I have about 30lbs to lose, and already down 7lbs for January along with 2 inch’s on waist and chest, and one on hips … yippee!!

Anyway, I pledge –
    – fast 8 days
    – stay within TDEE
    – limit my alcohol to 2 glasses of wine on weekends
    – 10K steps minimum 5 times per week
    – be nicer to myself

A little about me – I’m originally from New Zealand, but now live in Southern California. I’m mid 40’s and have two boys ages 3 and 6. Pretty much all my life I have been on some sort or diet or planning to go on one. I was never been really overweight, but thought I was. In my 20’s and 30’s I was a good healthy weight, just a little 5-10 pound pudgy fluctuation. Now in my 40’s and 2 kids later the 5-10 pounds is now up to 25-30 pounds.

I have been away from home for the last week. I went to help my son shift as the house was left dirty. Just got back last night. I will put in 9 fast days till the end of the month as I feel really awful and this will get my system back into order again. The only other objectives is to get under 60kgs and especially WH ratio under 50%.

Hello, I just typed a long comment and then the the page shit down and I lost it all. So I’ll keep it brief this time 🙂

I’m just starting 5:2 (I did it for a couple months in 2014) and wondering if I am too late to join this challenge.

I would like to do a minimum of 8 fasts, hopefully more, of which I have already done 2.

Jog 3x a week in feb.

I was 77.9kg on 1 feb and would like to be 75 by March

Yuck check in. 3 fasts completed. 5 to go. Have a great week😀😀

Thanks for the welcome Coda.
    A little bit more info. I am from Edinburgh in Scotland. I have about 40lbs to loose which seems a mammoth task but from dipping in and out of the forum I know that people do that and more! I was slightly overweight before kids and am now firmly overweight and very very near the obese marker for my BMI so that is worrying me a lot. I have been wanting to loose weight for years and years but feel like I don’t have time to exercise and I LOVE food. All sorts (I can’t think of anything I don’t like). I love cooking, baking and reading recipe books. The good thing is I really enjoy healthy food stuffs but tend to reach for the immediate and easy sugar or carb fix. My portions are way too big – esp my carbs.

Two issues for me:
    1) I always get really motivated for about a week or two when starting out on healthy eating regime. Loose a few pounds then get tired or life takes over.
    2) Pardon the pun but I am an absolute glutton for not wasting food and eating everything off your plate!! Including the kids’ plates.

I think planning will be key for me but certainly not one of my fortes – I like to wing things 😉

Meant to say. Have completed my first two fasts. They went pretty well I think. Didn’t find then too hard but as I said this is normal for me in week 1-2 then things become more difficult so I’m very weary at this point. This is why I thought joining a forum might help a little with accountability – I hope.

I also went for two jogs (wanted to do three but better than nothing which is what is normal for me).

I have reduced my sugar intake a lot by Avoiding cakes/biscuits/chocolate which was all on offer this week and which I would normally go for.

A person that I discussed 5:2 and he then started has lost more weight in 7 months now than I have in 13. He’s down another 9 pounds in January. He is going 5:2 (water only on fast days) with IF on feed days where if he eats lunch it’s very light usually a cup of broth with some veggies and he eats a normal supper.

Anyhow…. He comes to my door at 10:00am. Comes in it’s -20 out. I offer coffee. Nope he’s too jazzed for coffee “I don’t need anymore stimulation!” I mean this guy is flying on joy joy joy something.

I ask what’s going on. His reply “There is nothing in this world that can taste as good as it feels to see your toes for the first time in 10 years without bending or stretching. I love myself right now, for maybe the first time in forever!”

I offer congrats and all and he’s got to run and tell his lady friend.

I’m sitting here sort of stunned but feeling good as I helped him get on the 5:2 pattern but he’s done all the work.

I can’t help but wonder though if he hadn’t worked on his relationship with himself that he wouldn’t be in a better spot. Then I don’t think anyone can be in a better spot than the was right then. The utter joy on his face will carry me for a while.

So pass the joy! Find your inner love and happiness. Le Bon Temps Roulet. Fat Tuesday is Tuesday but I’ll be fasting and feeling fine! To all my friends in NO for Mardi Gras have a good time bring me back some beads and a pirate hat.

Oops I just noticed my typo in my first post, how embarrassing and I can’t seem to change it now.

Treenser you sound a bit like me I go all out healthy or all out unhealthy, I can’t seem to find a good middle ground. I’m really trying to change my relationship with food this time around and also get in a good routine of exercise. Starting out with jogging 3x a week. I’m just ending my 3rd week of eating better and still feeling strong but am mindful that awful crash may try and take over at some point.

I’ve already done 2 fast days this week and my goal is 8+ this month, I wasn’t necessarily going to attempt 3 a week when I started 5:2 but Im going to see how today goes and maybe squeeze in a 3rd for the week. I think this week has gone really well so far, I’m starting to see a difference in my body and I think I’m down over a kg this week, but tomorrow’s weigh in will tell for sure.

Just finished my 3rd fast day this week. Pretty happy with 3 days, especially for my first week doing it after so long. Weigh in day tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Hi Treenser (and Jojo). Good to have you join us on Little Voices. This is my experience of 5:2.
    First, buy Dr M’s book and read it, and read it again, and again! and read it often through your fasting experience. It’s amazing how things begin to stick in your mind. I also bought Mimi Spencers cookbook. Its full of great ideas for FD meals. I have never felt hungry after her meals.
    Second – stick to what’s recommended in the book to start with. so choose two days a week I do Mondays and Thursdays as they are busy days for me and I don’t think about food too much. If you keep yourself busy time passes quickly.
    Third – Start to take out just one thing at a time from your diet that is full of calories (ie: crisps, fizzy drinks, biscuits) and let your body get used to not having these things for a week. If you absolutely, positively have to have them, make them a treat once a week. You will soon find that they don’t taste quite as good as you remember.
    Fourth – Weigh yourself regularly – I weigh every morning after teeth and toilet, but just note my weight on a chart the morning after a fast day. When you start to see the numbers going down regularly, it will give you the incentive to stick to it.
    Fifth – accept that this is a long term, for life, way of eating, not just an effort to lose a lot of weight and then go back to the way you were eating before starting. If you stick to the two days a week then it becomes as normal as getting up in the morning.
    Sixth – download the Myfitnesspal app. this will help you track calories. You will be amazed at what seems like a very small portion of Rice, or potatoes for instance rack up the calories. I started by not having potatoes, and filled up my plate with steamed vegetables. If you physically weigh out a portion of a food, and check the calories, it will stop you estimating what is on your plate. (Usually way over what you think) If your kids are leaving food on their plates that you eat, it could be their portions are too big too. (That won’t help them in future years) If they are still hungry after a meal, let them have a piece of fruit. That way you will not be hovering up their leftovers, and if you eat fruit with them, it will become the norm. (Sorry, don’t mean to preach)
    Seventh – don’t beat yourself up if you go off the rails, but be determined to do your two days a week. You will find that as time goes by, your stomach will shrink, so you won’t want to eat so much. Then you will have to make a concerted effort not to cook so much. I too can’t bear food waste, but it took me a while to reduce the amount of food I was cooking, (and buying)
    Eighth – Work out your TDEE on the tracker for 5:2 and try to stick to it on non fast days. I found that filling in Myfitnesspal BEFORE I ate the food, helped me to take out the foods that were high in calories, ie pasta, and replace it with vegetables, or salads. My plate was full, and often I couldn’t finish what I had, so OH would finish it off. (He’s doing 5;2 too)
    Eighth- try to do some exercise. Again I bought Dr M’s book Fast Exercise as a guide. Four minutes a day, and a hour of Pilates a week sorts that out for me. I hate exercise!!!
    Gosh, I could go on and on. But these are tips that helped me along the way. Be kind to yourself, and just do what Dr M suggests. You don’t have to do back to back, or water fasts, or hours and hours of exercise for the weight to disappear. and all the time your body is getting healthier and healthier. Try to remember that this is a journey for life, not a flash in the pan. But if you look at it just one day at a time, and not the journey as a whole, you will stick with it.
    Sorry if I come over as preaching. Just saying how I dealt with it. I am now 67. Reduced by nearly 2 stone in just over a year. Down from size 16 to size 10/12 Am fitter than I have ever been. Don’t take medication of any kind. More aware of what I am putting in my body and what it is doing to me.
    I live in Dundee, so know how the pies and scones and fish suppers can take over your life. Just be with the flow. Good luck and just for today you can do this!!! TTL

HEAR HEAR TTL – fabulous post.

Checking in for week one. Only one fast day. I have been ill.

good on yah Jayne.L 5:2 may not be fancy, may not cost a whole lot, (I mean you fast you don’t eat you save money) it isn’t “fast” though you do fast and yes it does work. You gain incredible health benefits and you get to lose weight for a free bonus. Now who doesn’t love a free bonus?

To me, your mileage may vary, 5:2 is all about the health benefits – lower blood pressure, lower blood sugar, lower insulin blood levels, lower LDL, higher HDL and lower overall cholesterol. I mean I’m healthier now than I was 20 years ago when I had my first stroke and way better than 17 years ago when I had my series of heart attacks. Sept 1999 to Dec 19th 1999 9 MI’s and 2 of which were fatal and I died. Clinically dead.

There is no absolute sound so great as when your heart beat which is the whole back drop of your life, which 99.9% of us never pay attention to just quits! It’s pretty amazing really. Still took me another 14 years to get on something that works for me, 5:2.

5:2 is a pattern of eating that is doable, is sustainable and does work. Stick to it, fall off get back on. Each day is new and fresh you get to start again and again and again. you will get it right and you will succeed when you do. you can do this!

1.6kg down this morning, very happy. I’ve been avoiding running the morning after a fast day as I thought my energy would be too low, but I just came back from a run after a fast day yesterday and it wasn’t really any difference to after a NFD. I think my body is adapting to the fasts already and the couple weeks of wholefoods, no junk in the weeks before has really helped too.

Not sure if I’ll do 2 or 3 fasts this week, have two planned for Tuesday and Thursday and will see how the weekend pans out. 🙂

Hi all sorry I haven’t checked in over the weekend been a bit distracted by algebra and angles. Welcome Jay and Jojo, ha ha your little typo made me laugh Jojo! Logged your fasts along with Gl502 – glad to hear from you again.
    Thank you for your post TTL not preaching at all and made so much sense. Gives those of us still trying to get to grips with this way of life a sense of purpose and meaning. Please do go on.
    I found I enjoy my runs on my fast days better than on non fds. I have a sense of lightness and more energy.
    Don’t forget to love yourself this week by sticking to your fast days (cus your worth it).

Hi all. what lovely posts to catch up on. TTL – will be re-reading this one a few times as loads of nuggets of wisdom there – thanks. Here goes for my weekly check-in: stuck to my fast days easily but had a serious case of the munchies on Sat where I could have eaten the entire contents of the fridge in record time. Need to analyse MFP diary to find the trigger at some point (I suspect sugar). Did manage to catch myself and stop before too much damage done. Haven’t been like that for a while and thankfully appears not to have done too much damage. Scales say another 3lb gone 🙂 Will be trying stevia this week in my hot drinks. I’ve persevered for weeks without any sugar or sweetener in the past but just couldn’t get used to it so this is a compromise as I love my cuppa

Have completed 3 FDs so far this month and now have a new set of visitors (third for this month) now in house. A big boozy dinner tonight won’t help the cause, but lots of fun and laughter do help the spirit – there’s nothing like best friends.

Today is my 3rd fast for February and I’m cold, oxo drink for me now.
    We had a last minute trip to Paris Friday……now don’t go thinking it was a romantic trip, far from it. We left work at 6pm Thursday night caught the ferry from Portsmouth arrived in Le Harvre 8am Friday morning to attend a Retro Car Show in Paris. Back in Portsmouth by 7am Saturday morning.

Ate lots of rubbish but on the plus side walked flipping miles, I really ought to get a pedometer.

Hi I think the hardest part for me is coming to terms this is not a race which is why I found the post from TTL inspiring! I look at others who have lost most of their weight within 7 months or so and then look at myself who is losing very slowly. I too am inclined to go all gung-ho for the first few weeks of a ‘new diet’ and then slowly but surely lose heart and momentum. I want it off but want it off NOW – I end up back to where I was until the next gung-ho moment. However I joined this forum last July and with the support of others like TTL who have been there done that – I have kept the faith. They have done it so why not I – I just have to keep with the plan. When things falter I get out the book again, re-adjust and remove some of the bad habits that have crept in. It does work, this forum is proof of that and I love myself enough to keep trying and making this way of eating a way of life. So what if I haven’t lost what I would have liked up to now, I am lighter now than when I started and still going!

Also thanks Treenser and Jay_U for giving us all some more information about yourselves – can I suggest you copy and put this information on your profile? That way it is there for all to see and will not get lost in the posts that follow. Coda

Third time lucky – thank you so much for all that info and advice. As Lisa57 says, I will need to keep coming back – so many wise suggestions. I have read the book, which I borrowed from a friend, but I think I need to get my own copy as it would seem I should keep re-reading so it will get a little dog-eared. On my list to do.
    JoJo – I think we sound very similar – have you just started too?
    Coda – great suggestion – have updated my profile now.

So, I’m not sure if you are to record your weigh-ins each week here or not or just the end of the month? I’ve decided to weigh in on Fridays.
    Start weight: 170lbs
    5/02/2016: 166lbs – 4lb loss which I’m thrilled with but first week and as I’ve said I’ve gone a bit gung ho with it all. I know things will slow and I need to do this slow and steady.

Checking in for 1st week. 4 fast days last week, and down another 3 lbs.

Finally past that plateau of 146 that I could NEVER seem to break! I was there, right on the brink, several times last year, but could never get over the line. But I did it, and then some! Now I am charging the finish line, and can stay this way for life!

One thing that is especially nice (besides skinnier skinny jeans!) is going to the Dr. office and as they do the tests (bp, heart rate, blood work as it comes back, and this time, CT scan) all come back NORMAL. For a 53 year old whose all female relatives had diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and their first heart attacks before 50, after having lived pristine lives, mind you, and I have dodged every bullet.

Hope everyone has a great week!

way to go fitnfast congrats, plateaus are difficult good on you for not getting discouraged and keeping on keeping on 5:2 YEAHHHHHH for you. 🙂

Fast day 4 of 13 checkin:

Hey folks,
    Yesterday was a challenge with the Super Bowl – was at a friends house surrounded by all sorts of snacks and foods. Pretty proud of myself because on these occasions, typically, my self control is non existent. Yesterday, was a small victory in the grand scheme. So starting off this week, happy, super motivated and exited.

Be kind to yourself.

Bill.

Well done Billy! Be very proud.

Hi All, I survived Super Bowl party too without indulging. Weekends are always a little loser in terms of food, but I generally stay within TDEE. I so love the fact that I can still eat and have a couple of drinks without feeling deprived. So happy to be back on Monday fast.

Grrr for some reason I just lost my post!

Well done Fitnfast this is for you http://media.vam.ac.uk/media/thira/collection_images/2008BT/2008BT7635_jpg_ds.jpg

and you have given another reason why we should just keep on doing what we are doing – we will get there in the end.

Treesner – it is up to you – post weekly weight if you like or monthly or both?

Saw this ‘stop over complicating things, stop questioning your ability and start trusting YOU’ I just need to do, what needs to be done – 2 fast days and eat healthily.

Was reading a book about sugar but I disagree with the comments at the beginning and it has annoyed me somewhat. The author seems to suggest that had we known sugar was the real baddie and not fat, we would not have had the gyms and personal trainers springing up. We would not have people making money on the backs of people being told we are getting bigger because we need to exercise more, rather than they (government/health bodies) had got it wrong – it wasn’t fat that was the baddie it was sugar! Just recently I had cause to scrub my kitchen floor as the steam mop was not lifting dirt from the little grooves. I certainly didn’t need to go the gym as my shoulders and arms testified to the effort I put in. Remember all the activities we used to do (or our mothers use to do) washing and scrubbing, turning a mangle (ok a little before my time) walking to the shops, everyday to get the ingredients for dinner, brushing and ironing (the irons in those days were heavier that those now) it was certainly a good upper arm workout . Now we get into the car to drive to the supermarket – generally get in a weeks shopping as we now have fridge/freezers. We don’t even have to get up to turn channels on the TV – ever lost the remote and been so annoyed we actually have to move? I think modern appliances have made life so much easier that we do need alternative ways of exercising our hearts and lungs. I put the book down and wondered if the pendulum was swinging too far once again.

Just look at the amount of books out now against sugar, advocating giving up all sugar – while I certainly am convinced sugar in doughnuts, ready meals and soft drinks are the bad guys (the food industry and in the pocket politicians have certainly some serious questions to answer). Taking out fat (that helps control appetite) and loading with sugar (that keeps the eating switch on) well that was only going to benefit someone and it wasn’t the consumer – but is the teaspoon of honey I put on my porridge or natural yogurt really doing me harm? I am starting to get confused once again. Any clarification welcome or am I over complicating matters and should just trust ME?

Very thoughtful CODA – I do know that all sugar is the same, be it honey, raw, brown, refined, – it’s all sugar. It does make things taste good and so we eat more of it. I have never been a sweet freak – except maybe for dark chocolate – so it’s never been too much of an issue. However hidden sugar is – it pops up in all sorts of unusual places and that’s the problem for us “healthy” eaters. I was very surprised to see , I think it was BILLY, say he had no idea how much sugar he was consuming in soda (or soft drink as we call it here). I’ve never drunk the stuff for that reason (aside from tonic in my gin!!) so I guess for lots of people, until you stop and think about it, it’s just there as part of your diet. Well done to BILLY – or it may have been QUIET – for giving it up. Be proud. And CODA, I don’t think your teaspoon of honey now and then is too much of a problem, really I don’t.

Robert Lustig(a paediatric endocrinologist in the US) has been studying the effects of sugar on the central nervous system, metabolism and disease, whilst treating childhood obesity. His book-fat chance, the hidden truth about sugar, obesity and disease is a fascinating read that explains that processed food is responsible for our expanding waistlines, increasing levels of diabetes and a whole raft of disease.

He explains why low fat weight loss won’t work, not all calories are the same, why sugar can cause serious illness even in those who are not overweight, as well as how much of our food now contains sugar in 1 of over 50 names used by the food industry.

He suggests that reducing the amount of sugar in your diet is a good place to start and that to help reverse the effects we should have more fibre in our diet and take exercise(anything that makes you sweat).

I have stopped taking sugar in my tea after 40+ years, we eat brown rice and wholewheat pasta now, I try and get lentils or beans in our meals every day. We eat fruit and vegetables anyway, but it was a big step for me to ditch the jar tomato sauces and learn to make my own(very easy and cheap) which has a much much smaller amount of sugar in it. Our tastes are changing, I don’t look at calories, but sugar content now and think about 4g sugar=1 tsp sugar(WHO Guidelines are 6 tsp/day). I no longer buy fruit yoghurt or chocolate mousse for my chaps when I saw how many tsp sugar was in each tiny pot. I avoid anything diet or low fat as it is stuffed full of sugar.

I cook from scratch(often in batches and freeze portions) use unprocessed meat as much as I can, use cheese, eggs, milk, yoghurt, cream, brown rice and pasta, wholemeal bread, nuts often. I have learned that dried fruit(dates are pure sugar) is best avoided as it is so high in sugar, so I have reduced the amount in my homemade meusli which is a mixture(Jumbo porridge oats, sultanas, currants and chopped nuts).

I have cake as a now and again treat rather than every day. I have stopped buying and eating chocolate every day…I just avoid sugar. Nothing is banned. But i find that a handful of almonds are my snack now. I also lost and inch off my waist in 3 weeks when I started this and I simply feel much much better with less sugar in my diet.

Hi Annette,
    great information as always from you! It was interesting reading that you cook from scratch. Coincidentally, last Saturday I signed up for a cooking class – its a 14 week class and runs Saturday morning 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. The whole reason for doing this was to help me in this new life style, essentially improving the quality of the food that I put in my body – with an eye on reducing sugar to healthy levels. I’m so looking forward to it. (starts 1st week of march).

Guess I’m copying you “)

Best Regards,

Bill.

Bill, cooking lessons sounds just awesome! Bummer i am all the way in South Africa, would have been great to come and try out all your new dishes. Keep us posted on your culinary progress

Hi there, logging in with my results of last week, sorry Im late but have been busy doing the doing! Three fast days, 68,000 steps, 60 minutes on weights. No weight loss as yet, that will follow later, but feeling lighter. My tde’s were good except one on Sunday when I used left overs and made a trifle, it was sooo good, but paid for it yesterday! New salad recipe tried, juliened beetroot and carrot with dressing, which looked really colourfull on the plate and tasted good. A good tip from a TV programme on weight loss, fill half your plate with salad or vegies first instead of just putting them around the edges, and then add protein and complex carbs. It works for me. I couldnt find the pickling vinager in the supermarkets, so have yet to try the cabbage salad, will keep looking, maybe its a seasonal thing. I think I saw a recipe on how to make spiced vinager, so will have to ask Mrs Google!! As to living above the line, I think I must live too high over the top, as anything that goes wrong in our lives, I blame myself. If theres guilt to be had, its mine! We were programmed that way as children by our over dominant mother, and its a very difficult habit to break.
    On natural sugars – I read somewhere that the body handles natural sugars i.e. honey, fruit, etc, in a different way than processed sugar. Too much processed sugars can cause inflammation, a precursor for many autoimmune diseases, cancer, arthritis, diabetes, the list goes on and on.
    After years of living on “healthy”low fat products and continuing to put on even more weight, I am of the mind that its better to eat small amounts of high fat e.g butter instead of marg, full fat yoghurt, coconut oils, it makes me feel fuller and enhances the taste of food and it lubricates my joints. When I grab a frozen manufactured low calorie meal I usually put on a kilo or two, as it contains so much salt my poor kidneys cant handle it and need to hold on to water just to dilute the high sodium in the blood. This is one of the benefits in weighing daily, I can usually pinpoint the food culprit when I feel sluggish or my weight shoots up. Hope this helps. I am enjoying my ME time, and like exercise, trying to make it a top priority for the day. I have finished one jigsaw, and have started the second one.

5:12am here. Another 2 hours, and my 12 hour shift here in CCU will be finished. Had a very successfull fast Monday. Had my only meal at 1am. Beautiful fatty lamb with coleslaw. Fat really fills me up, gives me the energy i need on fast days. I feel quite satisfied having a full fat protein on fast days.

Looks like I have some really interesting readings to catch up on here – everyone looks to be doing great. I have completed 2 fast days do far in Feb (fell off the wagon for a bit last week and was eating way too many carbs and over my TDEE) but am going to get back in the groove and should still make my goal with 4:3 for the next couple of weeks!

ROMMY, pretty much any any vinegar will do for your coleslaw. Try white, white wine, or cider vinegar. Malt is probably too harsh.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 208 total)

You must be logged in to reply.