Just started today

This topic contains 251 replies, has 48 voices, and was last updated by  sunflower-ph 9 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 252 total)

• Hi All, thanks for all your support, coming towards the end of my first fast day and think I`’ve just about come in at 500 – I have found it a bit of a struggle as I’ve spent a lot of time outside and it’s been freezing. Anyway hopefully as Davetip said I hope to be careful on non fast days.

Hi all,
    Great to hear you all supporting each other, I’ve been following your posts throughout the week 🙂
    Congratulations on weight loss everyone :).

I’m about to start my 3rd fast day, so 1st fast day of week 2. Need to keep myself busy think it could be a hard today.

Goodluck this week everyone!!

Morning everyone! Had to change my FDs around again – big exam at Uni yesterday so we ended up going out for lunch afterwards to celebrate. so today is my first fast of the week instead! I’m planning to do water only again and also fast Weds & Sat.
    Good luck anyone fasting today! x

Hi all
    absteroo I am doing liquids only today. I have black coffee in the morning, with water diluted with a teeny drop of fruit juice. Then water throughout the day until my OH has his evening meal when I will probably have a weak bovril. Do you just have water? I would find that hard, I like a bit of variety.

Hi All,
    Just a quick update. I’m doing 4:3 this week for a boost. Haven’t checked my weight in 1,5 weeks but can tell that my belly has gotten flatter, lost 1,5 cm.
    It’s been a long time since I last lost any weight.
    Curious about my weight Sat morning.

Quiet on this thread tonight…

Trying to decide on what exercise to do. At the minute I do I do one yoga class per week which I love. Am thinking about:
    1) taking the plunge and joining the gym
    2) have bought a skipping rope and fancy a hula hoop too
    3) have downloaded the couch to 5km app
    4) more yoga via wifit or yoga app

I started this post to ask what people think but as I’ve typed it up, think maybe I should try all 4 and work myself a bit of a plan.

My children are all grown up and away at university so although have a heavy job and travel quite a bit, I also get quite bored on a night time.

CW

Hi Cakey, gym is a good idea especially if you get a personnel fitness plan. I used to belong to the local authority gym which has a swimming pool attached. Used to because now I walk 2-3 times a week and have a bike plus 2 dogs! I use a pedometer to check daily pace rate, min of 10,000 per day (have been known to walk to the gate and back last thing at night to get them in), also a heart monitor to make sure I’m actually exercising when walking not just strolling. If you’re stuck for time you could use the 7 minute workout app which is super although seems to be designed primarily for men. Good luck

Ps, play tennis 3x per but should mention that I am retired so have lots of time.

Hi everyone, just come here to say hi. It is my 2nd week too. I did fast on Monday and will do it again today. Although it’s only 2nd week, I feel the difference already. My tummy is flatter. I put on lots of weight after my 2nd baby 2 years ago. And I find it is hard to resist food when the kids are eating around me. I aiming to lose 7kg before June if it is possible. Let’s keep each other company. xx

Hi all!
    im being a bit crazy and attempting a back to back fast today. Have done it a few times in the past and it wasnt too bad!
    So far so good, finding today much easier than yesterday. (Should add i had a 600cal dinner last night as friends came over putting an end to my intentions of a water only FD) have been busy today and have a meeting tonight so no time for my usual daydreaming over food!
    Hope everyones well and doing ok with their fasting!! 🙂

@absteroo
    What’s a back to back fast day?

Hey! Its just two fast days in a row. Had a 500cal dinner last night and tonight and suprisingly found it really easy x

Hello all,

Thanks for all of your comments! As I mentioned before, I find it very encouraging to read about all of your updates.
    Just wanted to share that It has been a week since I began fasting, and I have lost 3 pounds! Down from 141, to 138! woo!

Did a FD Mon and today – and plan on doing the last this coming Friday (only did 2 days last week, though).

CakeyWakey – I personally find that variety is the key to success when it comes to exercise. If I only have one place/activity to do, I often get bored. I think your idea of trying your hand at all of the exercises mentioned is great! I am a runner, and also love doing HITT training. Good luck!! Keep us updated.

Wishing everyone a great week! 🙂

Well it looks like we are all doing well. I am now into my 2nd week and as I am in hospital tomorrow to have a mole removed have decided to fast tomorrow and Sunday. Hubby works 4 on 4 off shift pattern so am doing more of a 6 2 pattern to fit in with his work. Am really thankful to have found this forum and enjoy reading about everyones success. it’s keeping me motivated. I will let you know how I do when I weigh in on Monday. Good luck to us all

audrey,
    that sounds like a clever adaptation of 5:2 to fit in with different work / lifestyles and increase the chances of success. Good luck to you.

Thanks peelywally I am trying to fit it in so I don’t fast when he his home, my hubby is one of these annoying people who don’t need to diet and can eat pretty much anything! I decided to fast today and am thinking of trying another one tomorrow wish me luck!

Evening all, end of 2nd fast day of wk1, bit tricky but I think I did an almost fd yesterday. I tried the no food, cept water and a couple of teas, til supper. However as I had weighed out some veg this am used it to snack on when at meltdown stage. Funny old thing though it was quite enjoyable feeling a bit hollow. I enjoy reading everyone’s comments, thanks.

Whoops I lost my last post doesn’t seem to be here! Anyway it’s the end of another FD for me today, the hunger is getting surprisingly easier to deal with, I usually have a cup of green tea at those times. And a marmite drink today felt like a big treat! I do get super tired in the evenings though, anyone else feel the same? It really helps to see what everyone else says, no one is doing this on their own.

How is it going audreyg? I think the thought of fasting is a lot harder than actually doing it.

Sounds like low calories Sue Winter, it’s funny how hunger strikes, I look on it as a good feeling, I imagine my fat melting away.

Slinkylinky, I know exactly what you mean. I have a cup of bovril for my tea on my liquids only day and I enjoy it so much, it seems so luxurious. But then breakfast next day is just heavenly. Yes I do sometimes get tired, but I feel I have a lot more energy most of the time, now I am not carrying around the 12 pounds I have lost to date.

I have never enjoyed and appreciated food so much as I do now (and wine 🙂 )

We can do this!

You’re all way ahead of me as I’m starting today. 500 calories? Grapefruit for breakfast. Vegetable “curry”, cooked without fat, with an egg or some cottage cheese for dinner.

Given that our bodies cannot make protein it’s important to have some even on a fast day otherwise you’ll be getting rid of muscle (that give your body a nice shape) instead of your fat (that doesn’t).
    In another programme on UK TV about dieting they showed that eating dairy (as part of a calorie controlled diet) actually helps you lose weight so 150g of low fat cottage cheese has got to be a good thing.

Hi all so am back from hospital and trying to do 2nd fast day in a row. Was sitting in outpatient dept. with the overwhelming smell of toast from the wrvs so I had 2 slices so now am stuck with soup for evening meal and no snack tonight! Will do my best but not sure I am going to make it. If I succumb will fast again on Sunday. Wish me luck!

Aww good luck audreyg! That’s a tough one the smell of toast would be too much for me. I have only done this FD at home, it would be much harder with other people involved, who don’t ‘get it’. But hey you have to be where you are, once you’re home you will be back in control. I’m changing my FD day to Sunday instead of Monday as we will be away as I think it will be easier to manage. 5lb lost in 2 weeks and counting, am over the moon!

Draco welcome, I love the idea of veg curry I’ll try that! I had the spicy porridge for breakfast yesterday which was yummy, but I prefer 2 boiled eggs with lots of black pepper for breakfast as they kept me feeling full for ages. A smoked salmon salad went down very well in the evening, it was yum.

Didn’t feel quite so tired at the end of my FD day yesterday, not sure why I just think I slept better the night before.

Apple Pie I know food is so precious and delicious now! Yay Marmite the big treat, I never thought I’d say that! Great to hear everyone’s stories, is anyone else 57 like me?

Hi slinkylinky came home after op this morning and have not had anything else except water so am back on track. I too am 57 think it’s harder to lose the weight as we get older but maybe that’s just my excuse! I am weighing in on Monday so will let you know how my 2nd week went. Have a good weekend everyone. 5 lb loss in 2 weeks is wonderful well done

Hey all. Had a NSV today! (non scale victory!)
    I have now lost 2ins from my waist! 🙂

Hope everyones week has been going well x

Best of Luck to all of you.
    & plzz wish me good luck.

So I’m really disappointed today. I did 3 fast days last week, two FDs back to back and one normal FD yesterday. Weighed in today to find a loss of absolute zero. Nada. Not even a gram!!

I feel really disheartened as although i had a great loss last week it feels like all those fasts this week have been pointless 🙁 i haven’t been overeating on my normal days, possibly one i went over my TDEE slightly and i havent exercised as much as i usually do but still expected to see some movement in the scales :/ i just wanted to hit a first target in 6 weeks from now and its just seeming impossible at the mo!

Sorry for the rant!!

Absteroo it mut happen to all of us sooner or later, the dreaded plateau. You did say you had lost a whopping TWO INCHES from your waist though, that is really something to be proud of! Wow you must have noticed the difference in your clothes, and that’s where it really counts. Is there somewhere you can ask the FD experts about that or perhaps there are some FAQs somewhere? It can’t be the first time, or the last.

Audreyg good to have a twin in age in all of this! Yes it will be harder to lose for me I think, the weight I have lost is just from overeating comfort food I think, and Christmas too. Thanks for the kind words, and good luck on the Monday weigh in!

Oh dear absteroo don’t be disheartened keep on with the diet. I am sure you will lose next week. It’s going to hit all of us sooner or later and 2 inches off your waist is fantastic. Think I read somewhere that some weeks you just lose inches instead of pounds so perhaps that’s why! Just don’t give up we are all here for each other x

Just a quick post as I feel your pain absteroo…. – I wasnt going to post at all as feel very disappointed and didnt want to put anyone off but I did two fast days this week to the letter and no weight loss this week – first week was 4 pounds (did three fast days). Very disappointing but am really going to try to keep it up and see what happens next week. Havent got the will to write any more for now…:-( Husband did half a stone loss last week and 4 pounds this week so that hasn’t helped…

Its rubbish isnt it wackypad 🙁 just feels a little like all the hard work has gone to waste, especially when ive had to sit there at uni watching people eat while im not! I am happy with the inch lose but just didnt expect to be plataeuing on my 2nd week! Oh well. Onwards and upwards. Hope for a loss next week instead! X

Touching base after my 1st week. Absteroo, 2 inches from your waist is amazing, congratulations. I have read in other forums that is quite common for your weight lose to slow down as early as the 2nd week in, but very likely you will continue to see a change in inches. Wackypad, keep it up, we will all get there in the end. Again on other forums I’ve seen that for some people it can take many weeks before there is a real movement on the scale, but they say that eventually they start seeing results. As you can see I have been reading through the forums a lot, and finding it to be a very encouraging read.

My first weigh in was today. I have lost 1.5 lbs, which is encouraging. I did 3 fast days, back2back last weekend and then a fast day on Wed, and fasting today. I am able to manage the fast days, but in TDEE days I keep going way over. I have absolutely no will power, so I have just resigned myself to keeping trigger foods out of the house (cheese and nuts). I haven’t been doing any activity really – it’s just been too darn cold this month – but we are slowly moving toward -C single digits. I got myself a Fitbit on Thursday to start tracking my daily movements and it does help motivate me to take stairs inside and do 15 minute stretches of REALLY fast walking outside – they do say that doing activity in the cold burns more calories.

Thanks to all the posters, it really gives me encouragement!

I’m exactly the same Absteroo. 6lbs lost in first week and then nothing since.

I have a theory though. Completely unscientific but here goes. Everyone says that you lose a lot at first but it’s just water. We’ll imagine that’s the case for the first couple of weeks, then the next couple of weeks your body starts to retain the water that it lost but loses fat, if that make sense.

So the net difference doesn’t show very much but you’re actually losing fat.

That works in my head anyway.

I’ll keep going …. and hoping to join the 1lb per week rhythm.

Keep strong people
    X

The same happened to me. I did 3 water/tea fasts last week of 36 hours each, and I lost nothing. The scale is stuck at 63kgs for weeks. I am very near my target weight, but still, after all that hard work one would expect some change???

Hi All,

This isn’t a quick fix rapid weight loss diet. This is a lifestyle change. If you want to drop a dress size in a week then this isn’t for you.

Realistically, you can expect to lose on average maybe 1lb (0.5kg) per week. On average. And that assumes you stick to quarter TDEE on fast days and stick to TDEE on non fast days.

This does work. I lost 30lbs last year and have been maintaining since last June (and no longer do any fast days as I lose 1lb each time I do). I never did more than 2 fast days in a week, but I did cut down on refined carbs and sugars on all days. It’s been life changing for me. I’m now slimmer than I’ve ever been and feel great.

My advice? Do it by the book. Give it time. Enjoy the journey. Don’t compare yourself to others. Be honest about your eating/ calorie intake.

Good luck!

HappyNow, with all due respect non of us here believe this is a ‘quick fix fad diet’ or are wanting to drop a dress size in a week, so I actually found your post quite patronising to be honest.

I personally have been fasting on and off since the programme first aired 2 and a half years ago, so I am well aware how it works and the science behind it. I didnt ever stick to a TDEE on non fast days and I was still losing anywhere between half – 3lbs a week.

I think success for this way of eating depends entirely on the person and so I dont believe in telling people to be realistic and expect to lose 1lb a week, or to have count calories on both days. The whole point of the Horizon findings was that it was about feast and famine – Dr. Vardy stated it made no difference in terms of weight loss whether the participants of fasting ate healthily on a feast day or gorged on fast food.

I think its absolutely fine for members of this forum to be disappointed if they want to and be able to share this if they wish, after all this is a personal journey and whether we are losing half a pound a week, or 5lbs a week as long as we are happy and healthy there is no ‘wrong’ or ‘right’ way for this WOE.

This particular thread is full of fantastic supportive people and I for one will be full of encouragement every step of the way, whether they stick exactly to the book, do 4:3, AF, or just do it however on earth they fancy. We will all get there in the end.

Congratulations on your weight loss though.

Thanks!

Hi

As a newbie to these forums, to 5:2 and indeed it is my first serious attempt at losing weight – lasted two weeks at Scottish Slimmer 12 years ago, and just one week at Weightwatchers, I have to say I thought the last two comments on this thread both interesting and thought provoking.

HappyNow, indeed wise words. I am trying to stay within the guidelines and count calories on both fast days and none fast days. Im still weighing bread and googling the calorie content of everything. Your 1lb a week average makes sense, probably even more so for folk like me who are working to low TTDE, even staying well under TTDE it is difficult to ‘drop’ 2000 calories a week, never mind the 3500 calories i need to lose a pound. If i was a foot taller and more active it might be easier, which might explain why men lose more quickly, my OH has a TDEE of 2500, so 600 on a fast day will ‘drop’ 3800.calories, in fact more because he is eating what I eat, with only the odd bacon buttie and extra lattes and he will lose much more quickly.

So, I think your advice utterly makes sense, thank you.

Absteroo, your post was most interesting. Not sticking to the TDEE but still losing weight is the ideal. I certainly don’t want to count calories for ever more.

To carry on eating as before, with my own choices, except on fast days, that is the ideal. I am so glad it is working.

I hesitate about this method, for me, as I was happily and steadily gaining weight, Ive had to eat less simply to stop putting on weight, as well as eat less to lose it. For me, sticking to the TDEE gives me confidence that I am not just eating less than I was, but eating less than I need.

Maybe I hesitate because I am an over eater, because I love food, because I wasn’t eating healthily and because I don’t do enough exercise.

I dont know which foods are calorie laden – I cant believe that the pack of butter I use the the PASTRY in my favourite recipe, works out at 550 calories a portion – just for the pastry??????

Great going to both of you on your weight losses but I think people like me, who serve up home made Beef Wellington with Dauphinois potatoes at – I just calculated – more than 2000 calories a plateful, plus copius amounts of wine and a dessert, might find it better to stick to TDEE on non-fast days, cos boy do we know how to feast!!!!!!!

I have been following a high protein low-carb regimen for 6 weeks and have lost 13 1/2 pounds and have a great deal less pain from my arthritis and fibromyalgia. I use myfitnesspal app to keep track. I find when I have carbs (particularly products with flour such as bread and pasta) I end up overindulging on anything sweetened. I tend to eat less than 1000 calories a day but don’t feel hungry most of the time but feel chained to tracking what I eat and I hate that.
    Tomorrow I start 5:2 and plan to up my calories on the non fast days without upping my carbs too much. I find that my pain issues are vastly lessened on a high protein diet so I don’t want to foul that up. I plan on upping the veggies I tolerate well-such as broccoli, carrots and green beans. My hope is that with 5:2 plan I can continue without unmanageable craving attacks and keep the low pain levels eventually getting away from tracking calories at least 5 days a week.
    The best to all of you on your journey!

Milena, that is exactly my point – that this way of eating is different for everyone. Everyone’s bodies are different and react differently to periods of fast and famine. I completely appreciate your reasons for wanting to stick within your TDEE if that works for you. For me, counting calories for everything i put in my mouth doesnt work for me as i become too obsessed with it.
    My TDEE also varies, when I am at Uni i am very sedentary, when at placement can burn up to 2000 calories a shift.

My previous post was merely to say everyone is allowed to do this WOE how they wish, not have to follow ‘rules’. I think when it gets to the stage of rules then it becomes a diet more than a way of eating.

I know when i first started fasting I only had around 10lbs to lose, and what appealed more to me than the weight loss side was actually the other health benefits such as cutting risks for diabetes etc, and so perhaps thats why i am not so strict on the calorie side of things.

The good thing about fasting is it always so many different varieties, back to back fasting, AF, 16:8 – however it comes there are always benefits and we will all see results.

always good to hear others point of view! 🙂

And ps, Kaydogsmom – welcome to the thread 🙂 keep us posted!

Glad to hear everyone is sticking with it-don’t be disheartened about one weeks weigh in!

I don’t think happynow’s post was patronising. Just good honest advice. Medical evidence has shown that a gradual weight loss is more likely to be sustained. Sticking to a tdee on the other days also allows you to have a gradual life style change about ur whole diet. Because as well as eating less it’s also about changing what u eat-less sugars primarily for me is a big thing as this is more likely to increase ur diabetes and heart disease risk.

I suspect that if u stick to the book then u are more likely to stick at it for longer. More fast days or 0 cal days etc are harder and therefore possibly more likely to stop the diet sooner.

Happynow think u had some good points.

I would like to say that I am being brilliant and sticking to all of this- not true! I have been fasting at 500 cals ok but on the other days I am still indulging. I have lost 2 kg but am well aware I will prob not sustain the weight loss until I tone down my cake obsession!!! But will get there slowly!!!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone!

Everybody is making good points, and i suppose that is the beauty of everyone having their own opinions on things.

Whether it be following the book, the programme or any other intermittent fasting advice everyone must find what works best for them 🙂

And ippys i agree with the cake obsession infact I’m off to make some caramel shortbreads now as its a day off and also a non fast day, so win win!

Hi Abi,

Sorry you thought I was being patronizing, that wasn’t my intention.

A few of you on here were bemoaning lack of success, despite doing more fasting than the 5:2 fast diet recommends. I can imagine that would be disheartening. So I thought I’d pop in, as someone who successfully lost 14kg last year and has been maintaining at under 60kg since last June, to encourage you all (and any newbies reading) that this does work.

I appreciate that you don’t want to count calories. I didn’t count calories either, but I was mindful that I couldn’t expect to carry on overeating (what got me overweight in the first place 🙂 ) on non-fast days and lose weight. Personally I would rather eat a bit less on non-fast days than fast 3 times a week or every other day. But as you say, that’s down to personal choice and I am certainly not trying to tell you what to do, just sharing my experience.

The fasting days really helped me understand where I was going wrong in terms of food choices/ portion control, and I naturally now make healthier choices and eat a bit less.

I have much less of a sweet tooth now to the extent that I can refuse cake (or stop at one piece), not because I think I shouldn’t eat it but because it just doesn’t appeal anymore. I do eat cakes/ biscuits/ chocolate now, but as an occasional treat not every day. I think for me beating that sugar addiction has been a really positive change, and I’m sure central to the ease at which I’m now maintaining my new lowest ever weight.

Anyway, that’s just me.

All the best.

Hi Happynow, thank you for your post it was an interesting read and apologies for sounding rather abrupt in what i said, i know i in particular was moaning about my lack of success but that doesnt mean its because i see this as a quick fix or want to drop a dress size by next week, it was more so that i was disappointed by the hard work and those dreaded scales just not budging!

I too feel less of a need to over indulge in cakes chocolates and biscuits like i usually do, but i also dont want to stress over TDEEs (i have the tendency to throw the towel in for the day if i think ive ruined it anyway)

Congratulations on your fantastic results though – 60kg is my target so i find your results very inspirational and encouraging that I’ll get there eventually!! 🙂

Hi

Glad you could see i was agreeing with you as well as Happy – it will be interesting to hear how many long termers have swapped between calorie counting and none counting. I would like to get enough control eventually so that Im making automatically the best choices.

Travel hopefully and be kind to yourselves, and have a great Sunday.

Though I am thinking of murdering my OH, he has just sat down opposite with a bacon buttie in his hand.

Hi folk
    Hope you don’t mind me dropping in. I lost 29 kg over a 12 month period and have maintained that (under 60 kg) for 11 months now.
    Like, HappyNow, I found doing the basic 5:2 and being mindful on other days, gradually changes your approach to food and retrains your whole system. There is little point continuing to overeat on non fast days and then having to fast more frequently. Gradually changing what, how and when you eat, leads to a whole new approach to eating. You will not have to count calories if you understand which foods are wise choices.
    Calculate them initially, especially on fast days, and it gradually becomes obvious which foods are good and which foods should only be “sometimes foods”. Your tastes change. You lose the desire to eat the inappropriate foods. You discover wonderful new flavours and recipes. Fabulous, healthy, satiating food to set you up for the rest of your life.
    Enjoy the journey. PVE 🙂

Thank you for your contribution PVE that was very helpful. Personally I’d rather fast 3 days a week and be able to eat as i wish the other days, but that is just personal preference.
    I feel this could probably get discussed for weeks with everyone having differing opinions but i just appreciate that everyone is doing it their own way and hitting their own personal targets 🙂

Anyhow….. how is everyone getting on?? Faster24 havent heard from you in a while are you still here?! Wackypad and co….how have you weekends been? X

Thank you happynow and PVE As a newbie to the 5 2 way of life i have just completed week 2 it’s so nice to hear from people who have completely changed their lives with this way of eating.

I have been sticking to around 12 – 1400 calories on 6 days and 500 on the other two days. My husband works 4 on 4 off so it fits in better with his shift pattern.

I was getting worried with people talking about only water days and fasting for 3 or even 4 days a week so it’s good to know that I too can succeed by sticking to what I am doing now and feel able to continue to do. Weighing in tomorrow will let you know results.

Hello Abs and all – wow lot of posts since I last looked. I appreciate all that is being said but for my penny’s worth I have to say I struggle with counting calories. My husband is also a four on four off shift worker and with two small children and a full on full time job working from home my eating can sometimes be erratic. I have failed other diets because I break it and then think well that’s it might as well give up now. I was disappointed about losing weight week 1 and then not week 2 and I posted because I needed someone to say its okay – keep going – the same happened to me (which you did thanks Abs) and that is keeping me going. Two weeks in and I have stuck to the fast days so I will keep going. I have no idea what my calorie intake is on my non FDS but hopefully that will eventually work itself out as lots of people are saying. I managed some exercise yesterday and feel positive today so looking forward to the challenge of the next week – good luck everyone – keep it up and keep posting – for anyone doing no cal fast days that is what I have been doing as I find it easiest not to start eating at all and I know where I am but whatever works for you all has got to be the best for you – my husband is doing breakfast and lunch on his fast days and that works for him.

Funny was just thinking about when I was younger and thinner what I used to eat and don’t remember ever worrying or counting calories and I pretty much ate when I was hungry but I have just remembered that I used to not eat on most Fridays and Saturdays as I used to go out those evenings and wanted to look slim in whatever I was wearing or was saving up my appetite as I would go out for dinner or get takeaways with my then boyfriend (now husband) at that time. Weird hadn’t thought about that for a while but I guess I was inadvertently doing the 5 2 back then (20 years ago – good grief!!). and it worked!

faster 24 – please post an update – I think we are same weight and doing the same no cal fast days so interested to hear how you are getting on?

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 252 total)

You must be logged in to reply.