Just started today

This topic contains 251 replies, has 48 voices, and was last updated by  sunflower-ph 9 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 252 total)

• Hi Came across the site this morning and thought I would give it a try – so wish me luck!

Good luck Linda! I have started today too. Day 1 of fasting and feeling very hungry.

Hi there.
    Startet two weeks ago but would love to join your journey.
    How has your first day been going?

Hello! Can i join you all as well please?
    2nd fast day for me tomorrow! how are you all finding it?

hi

Wondered if anyone can help?

I am confused regarding the calorie intake on non fasting days. I have used the calculator online but am unsure if I should be aiming towards the calories on the bmr rating or tdee does anyone know?

I know the diet States no need to monitor calories on non fast days but giving my appetite I like to have some form of monitoring going on as I feel I may over eat.

First fast day tomorrow 🙂

Thanks very much

I think most people stick to their TDEE on non fast days but i dont really count calories just try to eat sensibly! 🙂 do you have my fitness pal app? Its good for tracking your calories!

Ps good luck for your first fast day!!

Thanks for your help Absteroo

I have my fitness app but it confused me as that suggested a lower amount of calories then the tdee, I will maybe go for something Inbetween then

Hello – hoping I can join too? I bought the book yesterday, read it in one sitting and joined the website today ready to start tomorrow. Never been on a diet before but have a sticky stone since having my second child 7 years ago (!) and I am due to turn the big 40 later this year (yikes) and my husband has also grown slightly around the middle so am trying to persuade him to join me. Feeling very positive but worried also as I have never done anything like this before so hoping that joining you all will help me stay with it. Good luck all of you and I aim to check in again tomorrow evening confirming success – there, now I have said it I have to do it….

I started last Sunday and did 2 fasts during the week. Sunday and Thursday. Today I started my second week with a fast today. This morning I had lost 3 pounds (1.4 Kg) and 3/4 inch from the waist. I find it is easier to fast on the weekend when I’m not at work. Work requires a lot of concentration, and it was difficult on a fast day. I agree with absteroo. The fitness pal is a good tool for tracking your calories. Even though you are not supposed to worry too much on non fast days, I still want to keep my calories within my maintenance quota. I am anxious to find out if it will be easier at work as I get more used to doing this.

I have my fitness pal more to track my weight progress, the calories it advises me I’m allowed are also different to my TDEE – also varies depending how much physically activity you do each day etc, so i just take it with a pinch of salt and aim for roughly 2000 🙂

How is everyone using their 500 cals on FDs? I am having breakfast then nothing til breakfast the next day.
    Once i get back into the swing of things I’ll go back to doing water only fasts as I tend to find that a bit easier!

Good luck to everyone fasting today!

Well done meldrumc – that is a positive first week and a good incentive for me. My daughter was sick early hours this morning – great start to half term week but on the plus side that also makes it feel like a good day to fast! My husband is going to try this with me but he is a shift worker and will be on nights tonight so I think he is going to find it tough fasting today and then working all night as well. I will suggest he takes most of his 600 cals as a meal before he leaves for work this evening and maybe saves a 100 or so for a snack at work? Any ideas? I have had two cups of black coffee this morning and may just stick with no cal drinks for today due to my daughter – I was planning on porridge and blueberries for breakfast (frozen berries so they will last) and a salad with a tin of crab for my tea and some balsamic vinegar but that will last as well. I will post again tonight – I work from home so better get back to it (PS I plan to do an exercise dvd at lunchtime to take my mind off food then).

Hi everyone! So happy to see this thread here as I started today too. It’s 10am here in the UK and have so far had a cup of coffee and feel fine – only been awake 3 hours though so not exactly taxing!
    I would love to find some people to connect with on here so we can support each other in reaching our goals. Please say hi if you want someone to cheer you on!

Hello Faster 24 – in case this is of interest or similar to any of you, I am 5 foot 7 and 11 stone. Initial goal is to get one stone off in a few months and if it goes well would love to get to 9 stone by my 40th birthday in November. My husband is 6 foot 2 and 18 stone – I would like him to get to about 15 stone although I think he would be happy at 16 stone. He has a history of diabetes and cancer in his family so I am really hoping to keep him healthy and well for as long as possible – he is a bit older than me – approaching 50. He has just appeared and will be having two poached eggs and two slices of grilled bacon for his breakfast. Not sure what to do for his meal tonight – any suggestions? Good luck all.

Hi all!
    I am glad to have come across this post because I too am starting this week with my first fast day tomorrow!
    Good luck to everyone with your first week and I am excited to hear of your progress.

I am excited to give this a go and am open to any tips to help with the fast days :).

Faster 24- I am also hoping to find some people to connect with to support each other.

Hi Faster24! Good luck with your fast today!
    just tucking into breakfast of scrambled eggs with feta spinch and mushrooms then thats me done for the day! 🙂
    I am 5ft 5 currently 11st 10 and my target is 9st 7lbs! As i was saying to someone else on here the last straw moment was having to do up my skinny jeans with a hairband haha!
    Ive put on over a stone and a half since starting uni so my first target is to shift that by my birthday in may (fingers crossed!)
    has everyone taken before pictures & measurements?

Hello there wackypad and MaryJ! I weigh about the same as you wackypad but am a good 4 or 5 inches shorter! I don’t feel like I look fat to be honest but I am definitely too heavy and my relationship with food is a bit cray cray as of the past year or so. I’m hoping fasting will help me reduce my sugar intake etc and allow me to have a more relaxed attitude to eating.
    I have tried 5:2 once before (very haphazardly) and found that trying to stick to my 500 cals while eating actual meals was really hard for me, so I’m trying to just go the whole day on coffee, tea and lots of water because I find that more manageable (weirdly). If I get really murderous I have a banana in my handbag, but gonna try and wait til much later in the day to eat, if at all.
    Also, wackypad, I am slightly jealous that you can do this with your husband. My boyfriend is 6 ft 5′, very slim (model scouted twice, the b*****d) and yesterday ate 4 (yes 4!) cinnamon swirl pastry things on the drive home from Sainsburys, before dinner.
    Life is not fair.

Edit: forgot to say my current weight is 70kg (11st 2lb) and my goal is 63kg (9st 9lb) – If I get there I might reassess, but that’s it for now. I am 5 ft 3′

Ah Faster 24 – how funny to hear a complaint about having a model boyfriend!! I know what you mean though… Great to have some buddies – I used to not eat breakfast or lunch in my late teens/early twenties and everyone told me how unhealthy and bad it was for me – it wasn’t a conscious thing just how I felt and I managed to complete A levels and a uni degree, get my first proper job and get married on it. After marriage and babies I started eating breakfast and lunch – to fit in with the hubby and kids and the weight has crept up – I also feel that as soon as I start eating in the morning, the hunger gets going and I could eat all day. So I just feel that in order to do this I will also need to stick with no cal drinks rather than eat anything – will be great to hear how you get on and I will try to keep posting also. I don’t have an iphone or ipad and not on social media so this is all very new to me…

Hi there absteroo! I’m so happy everyone is being so friendly and encouraging already! It really helps. I have not taken pictures but my line of work requires me to be in front of a camera a LOT (I’m not on TV or anything exciting like that though), so the changes should be easy for me to see when comparing footage.

I did take my waist measurement yesterday though and it was 32 inches, which really shocked me as it was 28 inched last time I measured about 4 months ago, so I must have really overdone it at Christmas :s

Hmmm not sure if I am brave enough to take a picture but I have taken measurements – I substituted my calf for my neck as I am a pear and my legs bother me most. Chest 36 – would like that to stay the same but no doubt I will lose from there first! Waist 31, hips 42 and neck (calf) 16 inches (yeuch!!!) Would like to get my waist to 28 and my hips to 38 and my calves to 14.

Hi absteroo, I haven’t taken before photos yet but that is a good idea, thank you! I’ve put on about 2-3 kg since starting uni a three years ago and am ready to shake this off!
    My weight is 60.5kg and my goal is 56kg. I know 4 kg doesn’t seem all that much but I want to get back to what I used to be instead of letting it continue to creep on 🙂 and also I’m sick of not being able to fit into my old clothes haha!

Thanks for the hi back Faster_24! It is nice to see everyone being supportive, means we don’t have to do this alone :).

Nice to hear your story also Wackypad, welcome!

I found when i first started fasting (way back when the Horizon programme first came out) comparing my before and after photos were v.helpful! Also is a good motivator to keep going when the scales arent necessarily showing you want to see! 🙂 i lost about 16lbs combining it with really mindful of what carbs i was eating and giving up choc cakes and biscuits for lent. kept most of it off until moving to uni so I’m determinded to do it properly now especially with summer coming up! Also have signed up for a 5k in march which is encouraging me to get out a *attempt* to run a few times a week.
    Its so nice to hear all your stories i find it really helpful and encouraging to stick with it having people to chat to along the way!

ps sorry i realise that was riddled with mistakes haha! my phone is playing up lately!!

Sounds like a good plan Absteroo!

Also is everyone doing 6 weeks? I haven’t got or read the book, sorry that is probably a stupid question but is that what they suggest?

Hi all, my understanding is that you change the way you eat so you do 5 2 until you get to a weight you feel good at and then change to 6 1 to maintain it, if you slip go back to 5 2. i am hoping this will be a forever lifestyle change as the benefits should be greater than just weight loss if you can fast regularly – what does everyone else think? I did read the book and I would recommend it – it only took me a few hours to get through it and I have recommended it to my parents for the health benefits more than the weight loss.

I am hoping to do it long term! probably 4:3 for the now and then when I’m at my goal weight do the 6:1 to maintain.
    i havent read his book though?
    Has anyone watched the programme? It was really good i highly recommend it!

I keep being like

‘I’m doing SO WELL! I’m not hungry at all! I’m a natural! I’m FAT BURNING MACHINE!’

Then I look at the clock and it’s not even midday yet.

I’m an optimist what can I say.

Ok great! Thank you for the tips! My friend has the book so I will borrow it and read it and I’m not sure what program you are talking about but I’m sure if I google it I can give it a go, it sounds interesting :).

Haha faster24 i hear you! I’m feeling pumped but i only actually stopped eating about half hour ago!

Michael Mosley did a programme on horizon about fasting originally called Eat Fast and Live Longer which led to the book being produced – when the book came out they took the programme off youtube! I saw a link for it the other day on someones blog, I’ll try to find it and post it here 🙂

I am planning to take a break from work at 12ish and do an exercise dvd – Jane Fonda has re released her original workouts on dvd and I have to say I love them – 30 minutes of fun – I also have some davina and gillian michaels – also 30 minutes. I am thinking that 30 minutes of that and a shower and then a fizzy water afterwards should just about take up the whole lunch hour. This evening I plan on having a bath at tea time (after feeding everyone else) and then painting my nails to keep me occupied until late evening – not sure what is on TV but will try to get into something or stick a box set on. Anyone else have any tips on keeping occupied – I cant go out as I have a sick 7 year old and my husband is working night shift tonight. His nights are usually a bad time for me – I usually snack out big time..

Hi All, just started today as well. I’m gluten and dairy intolerant – if I eat a piece of sponge cake I put on 4lbs I’ve tested the theory stand on scales, eat cake, stand on scales – repeat several days later same issue 4lbs!

I know exercise is a big part for me too, & I don’t necessarily mean going to the gym. Lost my job mid-November, by mid-December I’d put on 1 1/2 stone! Ok so I ate some toast, sandwiches but really that much weight in 4 weeks! I walk twice a day with my dog, but no job meant no running up/down stairs 20 x per day as an auxiliary vet nurse!

Short term Goals
    End March I’ll have lost a bit a weight to feel comfortable wearing my costume on holiday.
    May Bank Holiday run 5k

Height 5ft 9 Weight 15st 11
    Long term Goal 11st 4

Broadchurch is on tonight! Anyone else a fan?!
    Sometimes I’d head to bed a little earlier, or I’d go to the gym or something like that to kill some time! i dont really have any other tips sorry!
    I’ve just brought Jillians shred it with weights dvd, it looks like a killer!

Welcome Anne0411! 🙂

Hello anne0411 nice to hear from you – wishing you luck for today – I have never been to a gym in my life and don’t plan to. I sit at a desk all day but started walking January 40 minutes a day and after a month it made no difference to my weight at all – so I started doing exercise dvds and although I feel stronger and fitter still no affect on the scales ( I do think the exercise justified in my mind just that “little” but extra food here and there. Absteroo Broadchurch is the kind of thing I would have loved pre-children but I cant watch anything involving children anymore – it really upsets me. Maybe when mine are a bit older…going to bed earlier sounds like a good idea though – I am definitely going to do that! And I only ever plan to stay on week 1 of Jillian’s dvd – I looked at the advanced weeks and it is all impossible positions and exercised – she is just showing off I think…..

Yeah welcome Anne0411!

Keeping occupied is a good idea! I just realised this a uk forum how exciting, I’m in Australia! haha and it’s nearly 10:30pm so I’m off to bed and will do my first fast day tomorrow, fingers crossed all goes well!

Nice to meet you all and thank you for all being so open to supporting each other :).

Hope to hear your stories as we go!

Ah MaryJ how interesting – good night and good luck for tomorrow!!!

Hi

Just popped in to say I’m starting today too – today is my first fast day – so far so good. I didn’t miss eating breakfast, hopefully getting through lunchtime won’t be too hard too!! The plan is to save my calories for dinner tonight as that’s when I prefer to eat any way.

It’s nice to know I’m not on my own in this!

Hello liftin4food – welcome and best of luck with the rest of the day – almost afternoon already!!!

Welcome and good luck for today liftin4food!

Thank you both. I hope today goes well for both of you too.

For anyone who wants to watch the original Horizon programme! He tries out a few fasting methods first to test their benefits before settling on the 5:2!

https://vimeo.com/103656060

Thanks absteroo – I’ll check that out later.

Hi everyone. It’s my first day today too. A but nervous coz normally have no will power but hoping I can do it for 2 days-although already starting to obsess about food now! Maryj I have the same goals as u! Have quite a problem though as have 2 small children and so hard to not eat their left overs! Any tips would be welcome! Good luck everyone!x

Hello Ippys and good luck for today! I’m currently enjoying a nice cup of green tea to ward of the inevitable afternoon hunger pangs! 🙂

Hello Ippys, I too have two small ish childre – 7 and 9. (Luckily) for my first day my 7 year old has a sick bug so I am finding it not too difficult to avoid eating today although my 9 year old is already asking whats for tea! I am not planning to eat anything but am doing my husband a chicken salad and my son will have a small baked potato chicken and salad so I will just hope that I can keep my hands off! I am planning a bath and a large glass of diet coke for the hour or so over tea time and then I will have a herbal tea later – thats the plan anyway… good luck!!

Hey guys – I know everyone here is pretty new, but does anyone know if it matters what you eat on your fast days? As in should I be trying to avoid certain foods like carbs?

I like bananas for fast days because they are naturally portion controlled to about 100 cal each and are really portable – but should I be concerned about the amount of sugar/carbs in them?

Or is it pretty much anything goes as long as you keep your daily intake below 500 cal a day?

I think the good thing about this way of eating is that its flexible and are not ‘set’ rules about what we can and cant eat…
    I’d personally avoid bad carbs on fast days! but wouldn’t rule it out if i was in a situation where i had to have them i.e going to someone’s for dinner etc!
    I find carbs dont keep me full long either so just another reason why I’d rather have something high in protein like eggs to keep those hunger pangs away for longer! 🙂

Forgot to say that what you are eating sounds fine! Bananas are a great choice!

Good Luck 2 all……….

Hello to everyone starting this week. Feeling like an old pro cos I’m all of a whole week in. I have however lost 4lbs in that week. I am under no illusion that that will slow down but a good first week whilst you’re getting your head round it is a great motivator.

FD for me today and after just having a banana all day, I as having some cauliflower soup for dinner that I made yesterday. My OH was having some stuffed peppers, they smelt and looked so tasty. Then when I checked they were only 158 calories each so looking forward to having them next FD.

Good luck everyone – think this could be a lovely friendly thread with lots of mutual support

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 252 total)

You must be logged in to reply.