Just started the 5:2

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Gargleblaster 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hi – late-forties woman here, had a nasty experience with seeing myself in an angled double mirror, so went straight out and bought the 5:2 book and started giving the diet a go. I haven’t weighed myself but I think I am around 65kg (1.65 m height). I am focusing on waist reduction (waist is in the diabetes danger zone!).

My first fast on Monday was not fun but was bearable. I messed up with my second one on Thursday – I was working and broke the fast as I was struggling with concentration. I think I know what went wrong – I didn’t keep my blood sugar stable enough and I went cold turkey on caffeine. Has anyone else had fast days that went a bit wrong? What did you do to fix the issues?

Hi, I’m restarting on Monday. Is there a reason you went cold turkey on caffeine? We can have coffee and tea. I couldn’t survive a fast day (or any day!) without black coffee.

This plan works if you work it! I know if I go off it again, I’ll gain back the weight again.

What helped me during fast days is eating as late in the day as possible and also saving a bit of calories for a bedtime snack. I just can’t sleep if I go to bed hungry.

Welcome to both of us!

Hi coffee_rules – thanks for your feedback. I didn’t intend to go cold turkey on coffee, but because I didn’t have my usual honey on toast, I didn’t habitually have coffee with my breakfast.

Looking back, I think my breakfast wasn’t filling enough, so I just grabbed some porridge for lunch and then gave up for the rest of the day.

I am doing another fast day today and so far it is going much better. I started with porridge and frozen mixed berries (at about 11am), which was quite filling. I felt a bit shaky just now so have just had a drink of marmite in water, which has helped. I have also been drinking green tea, which has put paid to any caffeine withdrawal.

So, fingers crossed for suppertime!

I hope your fast day goes well – good luck with everything!

My biggest problem has always been mindless eating. I can eat an entire jar of peanuts without even thinking about it, and by the time my stomach feels what I’ve done it’s too late. I try not to do that during the week (ESPECIALLY on fast days). I’ve been very mindful of what I eat for the past few years but can fall off the wagon so to speak occasionally.

Don’t know if this will help, but one thing I do most days after coming back from my afternoon walk with the dog is fill up a cup with ice cubes, add water and some 0 calorie flavored water enhancer. I then chew the ice while drinking. It gives me something to mindlessly chew on that doesn’t have any calories.

Much success to you both with your fasting. By the way, I couldn’t do without caffeine in the morning!

Bronx

Ah yes, the dangers of nuts … I had a small bag of mixed nuts and raisins the other day – healthy option, I thought, till I totted up the calories and they came to a shade under 400. Yikes!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.