If your clothes are looser but the scales are the same, read on

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Benefits and side effects
If your clothes are looser but the scales are the same, read on

This topic contains 3,750 replies, has 216 voices, and was last updated by  annette52 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,601 through 1,650 (of 3,800 total)

• Take care BB and enjoy your getaway!

Have a lovely break in Wales. I hope that the weather is kind to you too.Why not have a complete break and start again next week?

We will all be here when you get back.

This was a great post to read as I just started the diet last week and lost just under 5lbs. This week is very different, no change on the scale but I do feel different, clothes are looser and I feel more comfortable in my body.
    As you say, this is not a quick fix, this is a plan for a healthier life. I have several different conditions affecting my back which mean exercising is not a possibility for me, other than the stretching exercises reccommended. Over the years I have put on weight until now I am nearly twice the size I used to be.
    I am feeling positive and yes, excited that this diet will help me to help myself.

Welcome Joalan,rather than think of it as a diet, perhaps think of it as a change in your way of life? To lose weight, we need to change habits and therefore attitudes to food, emotion, irritating folk etc………

I had 3 days of no added sugar and felt much much better.Then work went completely bonkers with loads to do in not much time, added to which treats were left on my desk. I managed to share the millionaires shortbread which was delicious, but not the chocolate mini eggs!I have had 1 FD this week and term has ended with a box of chocolates and a bag of truffles in my possession!After the FD I was 1 lb lighter, but now I am the same again. Ho hum.

The plan is not to exceed 24g sugar/day for the next 7 days and also to have x2 FD next week.I am just 2 lb away from losing 14 lb, which is my Easter goal. There is a necklace waiting to be purchased when I reach that, to match the ear rings.

On the plus side, I can now do up 2 skirts that I couldn’t before. Very pleased with that, bit of a way to go with some smart linen shorts that I have never worn.

How is everyone?

Forgot to say that those work trousers that I couldn’t get on I can now do up and they are no-longer tight. Very pleased.

Went out for a long walk and was very hungry. Grabbed a pack of hot cross buns and ate 3, but then looked to see that each bun was 11g sugar! So lunch has been a couple of avocados and an orange.

Homemade chicken curry tonight.

Hi all, I’ve been away for a few weeks while I hopefully have gotten the medication out of my system that was keeping me from losing. I am kicking it back into gear starting today with the hope that I will have a good loss to celebrate when swim season starts in June. I’m afraid to step on the scale or take measurement–I was traveling for work the last couple of weeks and unable to keep up my normal exercise routine. So I’m sure I’ll feel awful after the weigh in but maybe it will set me up to have some success this week. Fingers crossed.

Hello All

Welcome back jzan and good luck with your restart of 5:2.

Got back from my mini-break on Friday. One of the women I stayed with is a 5:2-er so much chatting thereon! We’ve both lost weight since last time we saw each other 🙂

I didn’t fast after all when I got back, so I have had a whole week off. Have eaten a lot of chocolate over past few days, too. AND I too fell prey to a packet of hot cross buns, Annette!

I can tell I’m metaphorically dragging my feet about getting back into my 5:2 routine. I KNOW my sneaky refined carb overeating is linked to hitting 12 stone when I weighed myself the other week. It’s my old friend, my inner saboteur, resurfacing. She has a lot less power than she used to, but she’s still there. What helps is knowing that I am going for my tests at Bath Uni on Wednesday. I feel confident I will begin again from then, at the latest. If I fast tomorrow or tuesday, that will be a bonus.

Wishing everyone well for the week ahead.

Hi Everyone!

Back home after a weekend spent with my sister. Ate a bit more than usual, but we shared when we went out to keep the portions in check.

I’m more than ready for my fast tomorrow!

Hope you all had a great weekend!

Hello everyone,
    I fell victim to a 2-4-1 offer on 2 packs of Hot Cross Buns. I have no doubt that sugar is addictive, each one was 11 g and I scoffed loads!I have been through and sorted the food cupboards and found 2 portions of Christmas Pudding in the freezer.The plan was to have 1 portion on Easter Sunday and the other for Christmas.I have found jars of homemade mincemeat too. Ho hum.

I had a row with my son last night and found myself reaching for some chocolate that I was given. I managed to put the unopened packet away, but it was a close call.I am going to continue to reduce my sugar consumption and see how I feel…and look. I simply feel much better without the cakes/biscuits/puddings.

My first trip to a tailor today to have 3 dresses shortened. They are much too long now that I am slimmer. It has been a long FD, so cold and grey. Son remains obnoxious which isn’t helping. I shall just have to get out away from him as much as possible which will do wonders for the number of steps-15365 so far today.

Sadly I am working on Wednesday or I would have suggested a coffee in Bath BB. I hope it goes well.

Hi All

Lori – good strategy on portion sizes with your sis. Great to hear you’re fired up to fast on 30th – hope it’s going well.

Annette – sorry to hear about the tensions with your son but absolutely BRILLIANT to get so close to turning to chocolate and still to pull back. Getting your skirts shortened must have been a nice treat.

Shame we couldn’t meet on Wed. I have also heard that (the dreaded) South Glos council are going to close part of the railway path soon, for resurfacing. It’s the bit between Saltford and Bitton but there will be a diversion in place. It’s quite amusing because the relevant councils re-tarmac in places every few years – but those blinking tree roots do insist on pushing through again! Hope to meet sometime in the summer …

Despite my apprehension, I did manage to fast today. I allowed myself 600 cals. I felt getting back into the fasting mindset was more important than being strict. It’s such a help being able to post my fears on here. So often I find it clears them out of the way and I am able to do what I set out to do.

Best wishes to us all!

Hi All,
    I find that eating raw carrots helps me on a FD. I like them, they are sweet and fill me up in the evening. I am getting close to the 14lb/1 stone/earned the necklace point. I hope to do it as my Easter present to me.

BB perhaps we can meet for coffee in Bath or Bristol in the Summer?

I am back to work tomorrow and Thursday. A pub lunch is planned for Wednesday, which will be interesting as that is not something I have had to cope with.Although it is not a FD, I am finding that I eat far less bread now and will choose healthier options. Hopefully the soup will be fabulous.

‘that sugar book’ is very interesting. I am trying to reduce my sugar intake. Now down to half a tsp in my tea.

How is everyone planning to cope with those Easter eggs and family gatherings?

We don’t really “do” Easter. I won’t be buying any candy or other junk and have no plans for a big dinner or anything like that, so I won’t be tempted. I plan to spend the weekend getting my clothes organized for my trip coming up in a bit over 2 weeks. I’ll be trying on summer things and seeing how they fit. I’ll either be happy or depressed! 😉

Have a good day everyone!

I have 4 young men(18-25) who are looking forward to Easter. I did threaten not to buy them chocolate eggs, but having been on a grand shop with the youngest we now each have a chocolate bunny, egg and some little eggs each! My thoughts are that having been reducing my intake over the past few weeks, I will allow myself to indulge and see how I feel. I will then go back to reducing sugar and see what happens. Youngest son is job hunting and as he has no cash, he can’t buy any fizzy rubbish, as a result he has lost half a stone. I have no doubt that all these hidden sugars are making us fat and keeping fat.

I had another try on of summer dresses. They are all much easier to zip up and look better, so I am very happy.I have noticed that some of my shoes are getting too big and keep slipping off.How much fat can you have on your feet?

I hope that you are happy Lori. They may well fit even better next week too.

scale today says I’ve lost 2.5 pounds after 1 FD and 1 eating day (though I counted calories and kept below TDEE). This means I’m at the weight where I stalled out last time. Second FD today and planning another Thursday to try to get under that plateau. Feeling hopeful but frightened of the scale at the same time…

Hi jzan,
    Simple. Put the scales away and don’t go near them for a week.Scales are only one measure and really don’t deserve the power to make you frightened. A tape measure will only show up a loss where that half cm goes, but I often shrink somewhere else.

One month the scales didn’t budge at all but I lost 7 inches all over/18.5 cms. Another woman wrote of dropping 3 dress sizes before the scales moved much. All shrinkage is positive whether it shows up on the scales or trousers sliding down.

A plateau for me always means that I am shrinking somewhere, even if it doesn’t show up on the scales. I usually ‘see’ it from clothes and how they fit.

You could even put the scales away for a month and just look to your clothes for change……….break the power and spell of the scales.I once weighed every day for a week as an experiment, but it made me miserable and worried. Once a week is plenty with a measure and a clothes try on. I refuse to let the scales dictate whether I am happy or not, I prefer my clothes to let me know.

I know you’re right, annette52…I think I will try only weighing after fast days and then step it down from there…I did take measurements at the beginning and plan to measure once a week. The clothes already feel a little different, but that might just be water loss.

The good news is that I can now wear 3 pairs of jeans that I have been too fat to get into, plus x3 pairs of work trousers that have never been worn, plus the 1 pair of work trousers that have been one of my goals.

However, I went out for lunch yesterday and had a meal out in evening before I went to the theatre, where I had ice cream plus scoffing those little sugar coated chocolate eggs that keep appearing on my desk at work. Ho hum.

I may have to revise my goals…..

wow annette52, that is fabulous!

eating out is always a challenge. It’s a good question about how to integrate social eating into the 5:2 lifestyle…something I will think about when I get to maintenance…

Thanks,I am thrilled and plan to wear them in a fortnight when back to work. The scales have moved in the other direction, which is not much of a surprise.
    FD and a Bank Holiday then a break in the pouring rain, so the first run outside for about 6 months, which was lovely. A gentle 3 miles. I arrived home starving and have struggled to stay on the straight and narrow….and away from carbs!

Clock watching and trying to find stuff to do.

Happy Easter!
    My weight is refusing to budge and the tape measure seems to be broken for the 4th week running BUT my clothes are fitting better. The elusive pink linen knee length smart shorts that I have never worn can know be done up! A little while until they look good though.

I had a re-organization of my clothes last night and a complete try-on.There are now just 3 skirts that are a bit tight to wear, so I am very thrilled. Summer is covered and I hope that by the autumn I will need new clothes that are smaller.

Sitting here with the thought of running 8 miles in an hour with no.1 son is a bit daunting. I can’t remember how long ago I ran that-must be 6 months-but the sun is shining and it is a balmy 10C.
    We are having a roast dinner this evening. The chocolate egg is 350g with sugar of 56g/per 100g, but to make it look better it has 20g sugar per 35g serving. So the whole egg claims to be for 10 servings. When have you seen anyone eat a medium sized egg in 10 servings? Me neither.The milk chocolate bunny is 54g sugar/100g and weighs 120g. The sugar of 13g is per 25g serving.Those small sugar coated chocolate eggs are 72g sugar per 100g are in a bag of 90g and suggest that there are 2 servings per pack-really? I am learning to be much more vigilant reading packs now and ignoring the per serving figure on the front and looking for the per 100g-usually on the back. Sugar that is above 20g/100g is high and should be avoided.

Good Morning!

I’m up early this Easter Sunday thanks to my furry alarm clock(cat). She doesn’t know how to sleep in. This is why I have to go to bed so early…I know I’ll be forced out of bed early in the morning!

The husband and I are heading for the golf course around 11. I think it will be sunny, but a bit cool. No worries, I have a new fleece that I’ve been dying to wear. It is a lovely shade of purple, so I’ll look a bit like an Easter egg!

I’ll be ready for my fast day tomorrow. How about you?

Good Afternoon Lori,
    Have a lovely time at golf.
    My son decided that 8 miles was a tad ambitious after our 3 of walk/run, so we covered 5 miles. My poor legs are feeling it now, but lovely to be out for a run in the sun. It makes me happy to see the sun and a blue sky. Sadly it is grey now.

Just scoffed an Easter egg that was bought for me. It only lasted 2 minutes once it was unwrapped but the shell has ‘cost’ me 530 cals and the chocs within 125 cals. The 5 mile run has earned me 579 cals. Was the chocolate worth that? No!

But ‘fat’ jeans have now been worn for the last time and I am back into the jeans that I haven’t been able to wear since last summer. The cunning plan is that they will just feel too tight when I have had enough dinner.

Happy Easter Fast Friends.

The chocolate bunny, child size egg and packet of sugar-coated eggs that I ate yesterday, have had an unpleasant effect on my digestion. I am now having a FD.
    A great way to put me off eating chocolate!

Dear Annette, Lori, jzan and all other Fast Friends

Help! I have faster’s block – and writer’s block! I keep breaking my commitment to this WOE. I keep putting off fasting and I have done a lot of deliberate overeating this past week. I’m resisting marshalling my thoughts enough to share on here. I think unconsciously I’m thinking if I don’t post, I won’t have to deal with how I’m behaving. I feel pretty neurotic about it all.

Well I have made a start just by checking in (and writing about my writer’s block!?). I logged on last night and read all your latest posts. Thanks to everyone for keeping going, carrying the baton for the team!

Annette, I enjoyed your analysis (5 April) of the labels on chocolate – it was forensic! Information is power; and, I believe, that is why the food corporations keep us bamboozled with all their different statistics. As you say, sugar grams per 100g of product would be the most consistent way of informing consumers. Well done on fitting into all those new clothes and good luck with the linen shorts.

Lori, I hope you’ve enjoyed getting out a bit more. Do I take it the snow is finally receding? I hope you’re liking the look of the summer wardrobe. You sound motivated about fasting (which gives me hope that I can get back to that, too.)

Good luck with getting below the level you reached last time, jzan. Hope you get a more comfortable relationship with those scales eventually 🙂

I’m aware I still haven’t posted about my fitness assessment at Bath University. I will give you the full lowdown sooner or later. It was pretty awesome!

Best wishes to you all – and me!

Hi BB,
    I was wondering how the fitness assessment went at Bath University. Give me the lowdown sooner please, I am very curious as to what happened.
    I had a break from the 5:2 months ago and found the thought of fasting very daunting and it became more scary as the days went by. When I actually tried it again, it was fine and not as difficult as I had thought it would be. I am not blessed with patience and need to see some changes and fast to keep me going. I suppose I have learned delayed gratification, to deny myself what I want for 1 day, for the benefit of fitting into clothes that I have and want to wear, or watching the waist tape measure moving a smidgen at a time in the right direction or fitting back into those elusive work trousers.I believe that fasting will improve my health even if I cannot see the change right now.
    I used to find fast days quite daunting, so I used to use the approach ‘it is just for today’ and never thought of weeks or months stretching into the future-too overwhelming.I accept that changing my mindset may take longer.
    I had a FD yesterday and still didn’t feel fabulous. Over the course of the day I ate 50g almonds, 100g prawns, x2 large tomatoes, x3 large raw carrots, a plum, satsuma and an apple.I was in the garden all day clearing up,moving plants and felt fine.I would never have thought that possible 2 years ago.
    After 5 weeks of no movement on the scales, although I can wear/fit into almost all of my clothes now-a complete joy, I have lost another lb! I am disappointed that it isn’t a bit more, but thrilled none the less.I had hoped to reach the 14 lb mark at Easter, but I am hoping to get there in the next 2 weeks(before I go back to work). I have promised myself a necklace to match those ear rings, but just 1 lb to go, which is a tad annoying.
    My top tip is to have small goals and lots of them. I have loads, 1 lb to lose, another inch off my waist, that skirt to get the zip all the way up. Although the next 6 lb to lose is my long goal, I am aiming to achieve that by the end of May. That will give me a weight of 10 stone exactly.I haven’t been that for over 20+ years and to achieve that is….momentous.
    Have a look at Professor Robert Lustig-paediatric endocrinologist who thinks that sugar is making us fat.I had no idea that pasta sauces or so many savoury dishes had so much sugar in them. I am losing the taste for sugar, even ice cream was just OK-not my great pleasure that it once was.But almonds now taste sweet. Win win.

Out with a friend in the spring sunshine and succumbed to an Almond Croissant, delicious and worth the approx 600 cals/12g sugar? Yes it was!

Hello again, All

Well yesterday’s post turned out to be my (fairly common) pre FD fret! I must have got the apprehension out of the way and today – so far so good 🙂 Only one cup of tea with milk. A couple of Christmases ago, I was given some tea which is a mix of Earl Grey and green jasmine. It’s better without milk, so it’s a FD treat – lovely flavour. Thank you for your response, Annette. It has reminded me (again) to take it a day at a time.

So here is my report on the assessment at Bath Uni, last Wednesday. I took the train to Bath and then, for my warm up (!) walked up Bathwick Hill!!! Is that the one you do every day, Annette? Note to non-Bath residents: there are lots of hills in the city; and they are all STEEP and LONG!

Jonathan, the sports scientist, met me in reception. He was very friendly and respectful. They have all levels of ability going for tests, from beginners to elite athletes. Three of Joanthan’s students were also present but I didn’t feel like a ‘guinea pig’ because mainly they were working at their computers, except when they were helping him with the test. It was a very sporty atmosphere: they were all in shorts or leggings and polo shirts. (So not what I am used to!)

First Jonathan weighed and measured me: I found out that I am 1.65m, which is just 5 ft 5 and 3/4 ins – damn, I have been kidding myself I was 5′ 6″ !!! According to the scales I was 77.1 kg (12 st 2 lb). Then he brandished a pair of calipers and measured all my flabby bits! He carefully marked me with biro and recorded where he had taken the measurements, so that he could make an accurate repeat measurement next time. It’s ok – I can have a bath and wash the biro off between the 2 sessions! The calipers weren’t painful but it was a peculiar sensation. (As I’m not a member of one of those dodgy basement clubs, having my flesh gripped in that way was not a familiar feeling!!)

One of his students took some blood – just a pinprick in my thumb. I think that was for insulin/glucose thingiebobs. I had to strap a heartrate monitor round my chest (just below my bra), which I wore during the exercise itself.

Then I leaped aboard their exercise bike. (They have a treadmill for runners btw)
    They put a mask over my nose and mouth, which would measure my V02 max (aerobic fitness). I did a gentle cycle to warm up and then they began the test. A computer screen showed the program I was doing: a fairly standard fitness measurement with increasing steps of resistance on the bike. (I just noticed this morning that there is one on my exercise bike – but no boffins!) I think each ‘step’ lasted about 3 mins. They were very encouraging, shouting out such things as ‘Keep going, Bev, you’re doing brilliantly’ – and other blatant untruths 😉

I had to cycle as fast as I could, while the resistance increased gradually. One student ‘zapped’ my chest area every few minutes, which I presume was taking a reading from the heart rate belt. They also kept taking a drop of blood from my finger. And of course the mask was feeding info about my lung function all the way through.

I managed to get onto the 3rd level of the program (I could see it on the computer screen) and then did a bit longer for pride but then I was bushed!! They told me to pedal gently to cool down, then I was done. I think I was on the bike for about 7 minutes in all. I was aware that, psychologically, I would have given up much earlier if I had been motivating myself but I definitely responded to their encouragement. I can remember cycling up steep hills on my road bike and quite early on getting off and pushing! I think this was the most effortful thing I had ever done, in a short space of time. I have done stamina type stuff, but at a gentler pace. So I felt a real sense of achievement.

I had pencilled in to go out that evening and when I got home (after cycling 3 miles from Bristol station, too) I still felt pretty lively…until about an hour later. I crashed into bed, then woke up a couple of hours later with terrible cramping feelings in my SHINS, of all places! Calves, I could have understood. All the next day, I was exhausted and sore – but I recovered.

The reason I am a bit hazy on the exact details of what they were testing and why is that Jonathan was going on holiday from the following day, so I shall have to wait a couple of weeks for his initial report. I have booked to go back in 7 weeks so that is a useful timescale. I am setting lots of short term goals and writing down what I have done in my specially purchased notebook. Always glad to have an excuse to buy another notebook 😉 This week I have done 3 x 20 secs HIIT, on 2 separate days. My aim next week is to do 3 x 20 on 3 days. If anyone has read ‘The Other Book’, as opposed to ‘The Book’ we refer to on here, you’ll know what I mean.

I am trying to keep up with the strength exercises, too, although I find those harder to commit to, simply through lack of experience. I have just been looking online for circuit training locally. My plan is to have a few sessions and get really familiar with those exercises, so that I can do them myself at home, in a short intensive session.

A few minutes ago my computer crashed -eek – and I thought I had lost most of this post. Luckily, I have been shown how to open my pc in ‘safe mode’ and thankfully this novel was still there. So will post now, and not tempt Fate.

Well done on latest 1lb loss, Annette. Not long till necklace shopping!

Thanks and best wishes to all
    BB x

Hi Bootsy, thanks for this story of your fitness assessment! I will be interested to hear the results. And congratulations on getting back into fasting. I have to admit that fasting is always a challenge for me, and it’s harder on days when I work and feel drained by all the demands. I don’t think it will ever be easy for me the way it is for some people, and I have never in my life ‘forgotten to eat’!!! I do 5:2 for the health benefits of fasting in addition to the weight loss. Annette52, I think you are a real model of how 5:2 can be a lifestyle. I am not sure what I will do when I get to maintenance…but that’s a while away.

So I am now 2 lbs below where I plateaued last time. fingers crossed for the next weigh in (Friday).

Great report BB! I, too, am anxious to hear what the results say. I’d like to have a test like that just to see where I stand. Would be nice to know if your current plan is working or if it needs tweaking.

Hope you’ve all had a great day!

Thanks for the report BB. I am intrigued to hear the report, as you are i am sure. I am not surprised that you crashed and burned afterwards.
    My walk to work is approx 15 minutes fairly level across town and then I start to climb an increasingly steep hill for the final 30 minutes. I think the steepness is about the same as Bathwick Hill-maybe that was what made your shins hurt! I used to have to stop x3 times to catch my breath and the first few months walking i was convinced that I was going to collapse and die on the ascent, but then I was also 2 stone heavier then!I had just given up owning a car and noticed my fitness improved sharply just from walking where I wanted to go.
    I think that the Almond Croissant was a gateway sugar item. I then scoffed half an easter egg that evening, but it really wasn’t worth the calories.I had planned on having salmon and veg for tea for me, but as i was cooking for my chaps, 1 son phoned to say that he wouldn’t be home, so I ate his pasta and meatballs! I had made the meatballs, so not a complete disaster. I am trying to be mindful the rest of this week,so writing down what I am eating this week. I might try a FD on Thursday and Saturday this week too.
    I have a small city garden which is south facing so sunny and warm. Last year I dug up the grass, that is now ground for growing fruit and veg, with shrubs/flowers around the side. Yesterday I planted broccoli, cabbages and Kale in my garden yesterday and ache in places that I didn’t know I had any muscles! The plan is now to find spaces for some tomatoes and my great love which is peas-I love them raw in salad, but most of them are eaten in the garden.

Hi everyone, so good to see so many new fast friends!, I have been gone for ages! Had a lot of health issues the end of last year, and just didn’t have the energy to post. This is probably going to be a very long post(just thought I’d warn you :-))
    After a bit over a year on the fast diet I was nearing my goal, but sort of stuck. During the time on this WOE I have learned a lot about my eating habits, and what felt good and what made me feel not so good. I had discovered than when I ate carbs(breads especially) was the only time I felt stuffed, and had heartburn. Before 5:2 I had heartburn and reflux almost constantly, even water would sometimes give me heartburn.
    I began to suspect I had a problem with carbs, especially wheat. While my weight had been going down, my joint pain and stiffness, cholesterol had been going up. The doctor was pushing me toward Statins. I don’t want to take statins! I was evaluated for psoriatic arthritis, diagnosed with inflammatory osteoarthritis. I was put on anti inflammatory medications and a medication to protect my stomach from the anti inflammatories. Well, the meds didn’t work, no decrease in joint pain, constant stomach pain, swelling and increased blood pressure. Well, I was fed up with that pretty quickly. Gained back about five lbs and felt horrible.
    I decided to stop the medications and try increasing anti inflammatory foods. Increased omega 3 and anti inflammatory foods. Then I saw a program on PBS called Wheat Belly. PBS is where I discovered the fast diet too, I watch a lot. The doctor talked about the inflammatory effects of wheat and grains, the addictive aspects of both and cravings caused by them. I had already noticed that the fast days I struggled were days I had eaten a large carb meal the night before, and that if I had like eggs and toast in the mornings, I had the munchies all day. If I skipped the toast and just had the eggs, I didn’t. So, I decided to give grain free a try.
    The first of the year I eliminated all grains. I haven’t eliminated sugar yet, one change at a time. 🙂 many people experience severe physical symptoms similar to flu and massive cravings when first stopping grains. I was lucky in that I had already cut way down, so I didn’t have that. It has been surprisingly easy!
    I have now surpassed my weight loss goal. I weigh about what I did when I got married almost 41 yrs ago! I just bought the first size 8 jeans I think I have ever owned.:-) I am taking no anti inflammatories, my hands are working again, and much of my joint pain is gone(except on rainy days) to appreciate why I am so excited, you need to know that I have taken pretty large doses on anti inflammatories daily for over 20 yrs.
    My cholesterol is coming down( still not low enough for my doc, still with the stain pushing) my blood pressure meds have been decreased for the first time in close to 30 yrs. I am chuffed!!!
    Now for the important part in the fasting scheme of things, I have NO cravings!!! It’s amazing. I am seeing improved energy levels which started improving with fasting are continuing( I have M.E/CFS) . I have hope of much improved health with continued fasting and no grains.
    I wanted to share this just in case you have noticed a similar pattern when you eat grains and have an inflammatory illness. I am not suggesting you do this instead of fasting, just thought if you are stuck in your weight loss, and having some physical symptoms you might want to try weaning off grains and see what happens. 🙂
    I’m so excited to see everyone, and hope to be here more often. I’m only fasting one day a week now on maintenance, but my daughter is still fasting two and has lost 20 lbs. she isn’t ready to join me in my experiment yet as she does love her bread. 🙂 I hope you don’t mind my sharing this, I’m just so excited to find something that helps my health with only good side effects. 🙂 hugs to all, and happy fasting!! Phyllis

Phyllis…thank you SO much for sharing your story. I’m so happy that you have found a solution to your issues. How wonderful to get off the meds and to be controlling your symptoms with your diet. I have read “Wheat Belly” and refer back to it often to give myself a pep talk. I don’t really have symptoms when I eat grains, but I do feel that they are not the best food for us.

Wishing you continued improved health!

Phyllis!!!
    Fabulous to hear from you and your story. I am so pleased that you are so much better although I am green with envy at size 8 jeans!Please do continue to post and let us know how you and your daughter are getting on.

I am on a FD today and then plan the 3rd this week on Saturday. I am on a mission to shift this annoying lb…..to get to 14 lb.

Phyllis, what a wonderful story and I am so glad you have listened to your body and found the right path for you!

FD yesterday and going out to dinner with friends tonight so I need to plan a strategy…it’s a pub so salad is not really an option.

jzan, why not have a steak?

I have bought myself a burger-making kit(a mould and discs etc) and have just made a heap of burgers that I will freeze. I have come a long way from what I could do on a FD!

I have been out and about all day trying to get out in the sun and keep busy, but also clock up more than 10,000 steps…up to 14,000 and have stuff to do yet!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome back! I am excited to be seeing improvements after 20+ years of illness. Still a long way to go, but I’m thrilled with any and all improvements!
    Hi Lori, I don’t think that I would have ever tried the wheat belly diet had I not first done 5:2 and found myself suspecting a grain problem. I did and do find it much easier to fast when I cut down on the grains, much less hunger and cravings. Good luck with your fasting, it’s my fast day so I’m plotting what to cook for supper. 🙂

Annette, so good to see you again! I know that stubborn pound is on it’s last gasp!! That necklace is within your grasp! I, too, and happy about the jeans. My daughter keeps telling me, “mom, face it, you need some clothes that fit” 🙂 I have a tendency to not spend much on clothes and such since I don’t get out much. You have come so far on your journey, going from barely able to walk uphill to running! You have a lot to be proud of in addition to the pounds lost! Anxious to hear you say bye-bye to that pound. Good luck with the Sat. Fast!
    Hi Jzan, so what did you have for dinner? Steak does sound good like Annette said. 🙂 I am grateful that fasting helped me learns to listen more to myself and my body. Wishing you good luck and great success on your fast diet WOE.
    Hugs and happy fasting y’all. Phyllis

I am a complete Muppet and have sabotaged losing that wretched lb. I was right on track and doing fine until I bought and ate a whole bag(100g) of almonds, which is 600 calories and even if I will only absorb 2/3 that is still 400 calories. The worst part is that i was shoveling them in without thinking about what i was doing or thinking about my enjoyment of them.I was disappointed to find that no inches and a mere 6 0z have departed this morning. Lesson learned and no more bags of nuts for me for the next week and see what happens. I am going to do another FD tomorrow and hopefully will have some good news soon.

Thanks Phyllis. You are right we should acknowledge where we have come from and where we are now.I am amazed that you have come such a long way in not only weight loss but the lack of pain.Quite amazing. Your daughter is right, you do need to get clothes that fit and celebrate that loss and your journey. I often drop into charity shops and see what there is, there are often lovely things for your small size, which is not only inexpensive but different from what everyone else is wearing too. I have taken x3 dresses to a tailors for shortening by several inches and a shirt that has a broken zip for a new zip and another shift dress that I washed, but the lining is now hanging inches lower. I look at clothes now and rather than dismiss a skirt or dress for being too long, now consider getting it shortened. My dresses are all longer now as there is less bulk!I refuse to spend much money until I am at the size that is right for me.
    I am so pleased that I found the 5:2. I am learning the difference between hunger and boredom or habit, it is quite liberating really.

Well things started out ok yesterday–I planned in the calories to eat out and ate moderately, had only 1 scoop of ice cream when we went to the parlor, and then got home and was still starving (which is typical for me after a FD). So I ate healthy things but went over TDEE and then topped it off with 2 cadbury eggs.

I think that when I eat out with other people I need to let myself eat more because staying hungry just sets me up for failure. It would probably have added up to less if I’d had a burger and fries.

I also need to think about the balance between losing weight quickly (which I want to do) and eating enough that I don’t binge because of hunger. I exercise a lot (an hour every day) and that drives up my hunger, I think.

jzan,
    I have come to the same conclusion myself.It is better to sit down to a meal and have whatever I like, rather than eating less only to feel a bit cheated later.I find that if I have whatever I like, I enjoy it and never feel guilty.I also find myself going through what I have eaten and pointing out to that little voice that I am full, I don’t need anymore. Seems to work for me.

Perhaps view this as a way of life(which it is)and remember that 1 lb a week is the expected loss. In order to maintain there has to be a change of habits along the way. Losing weight fast always means putting it on again, because what has to change is the attitude to food.

I find that after a 6 mile run, the best thing is to drink a glass of milk. Protein for muscle repair and fills me up too.Perhaps try that or alter your exercise regime. Perhaps no exercise on the day after a FD and see if that helps.

I was feeling fed-up and annoyed with myself last night. I thought about my ‘journey’ so far and what I had learned about food and me.I began this way of life in January 2013 after a miserable fortnight with Weight Watchers and the day I became 52. I was struggling to squeeze this over inflated body into a generous size 14 and weighed in at 11 stone 11 lb/BMI 30.5/waist 38 inches, which is huge when you are only 5ft 1. I never believed for 1 moment that this could possibly work at all for me. Impossible. I was about to prove Micheal Mosley wrong.
    I lost weight and started to shrink. No one was more surprised than myself.I had started running very slowly with the ambition of taking part in the local half marathon(13.1 miles)in March. I did get round, was one of the last but thrilled to have survived. There was an average loss of 1 lb a week and by mid May I had lost 14lb. By September I had lost 23 inches and 23 lbs and was down to 10st 2lb. Weight crept up and down by a few lbs and then I made one of the worst decisions I have ever made. I decided to have a break from the 5:2 and put on 8lb over December!January 2014 I was 10 st 10lb and miserable. I learned that I had to make permanent changes to what I ate and also how much I ate, and so it began again. Weight went up and down by the same few lbs over the coming months, with very little change. Then my weight crept up over the winter months and then in January 2015 I was 11st 5lb. I was miserable, upset and very very cross with myself. So it began….again.The difference this time is that I know that I have to change my habits, recognize that what I eat and drink is far more important than exercise, keep walking 10,000 steps a day, treats are not for every day, give up stuffing myself at the cinema and that it is quite possible to change. I reduced my tea drinking from 7/8 mugs a day down to a maximum of 3, which saved me 35tsp sugar/week. I realized that I felt much better with less tea, was it the tea or the sugar. I stopped having puddings at work and then noticed that when I did eat them I felt rubbish afterwards. I used to eat chocolate etc daily and include them in my daily TDEE, but having read Damon Gameau ‘that sugar book’ I am reducing my hidden sugar consumption in perceived healthy foods, in an effort to break my sugar addiction.I eat less but better quality now. My size 12 jeans are falling down, but size 10 are too tight.I will fast in some shape or form for the rest of my life I suspect and that is fine. Next goal is 10st 5lb(14 lb from January) and then 10st 2lb(the lowest I have been) then 10 stone( haven’t been that for 20+ years). BMI charts suggest that the weight I should be is 9st 6lb(which seems such a long way away)BUT my waist is 4 inches bigger than it should be, so maybe that is right. I have lost my 2014 festive lbs and inches and now working in those of 2013, hope to lose them by the end of May.From Jan 2012 to date I have lost 19 lbs, 3 inches off bust,4 inches off the hips,4 inches off thighs,3 inches off calves. I didn’t have a waist in the beginning,I was just a blob.I have lost 3 inches off my waist and have now developed an hour glass figure. I am so pleased that this way of life has made such a huge change to both body and soul. If you want to shrink, you have to change your habits. Good Luck Fast Friends!

Great post Annette! Thank you for sharing your story.

I quite enjoy fasting and, like you, intend to do keep doing it in some form or another. I have not lost a great deal of weight so far, but when I get back from my trip at the end of April, I’m going to resume with renewed determination. Keeping my “eating” days under control will be key. I’m hoping to keep any gain to a minimum while I’m away and will be quite active, so hopefully that will help.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

Jzan, I think you are on to something, and feeling deprived just sets us up for over eating then feeling like failures when we eat something that we swore we wouldn’t. I thin all of us have dieted so much, it’s hard to break that way of thinking. One good meal of something you love once in a while isn’t going to hurt you. It’s constantly eating things that make us feel bad and beating ourselves up over it. Next time if you want that burger and fries, eat it. Enjoy every bite and know that even if the scales blip up temporarily, they will go down again with some fasting and moderation. :-).

One thing I have decided after years of dieting and not liking myself very much is…. You can’t do something good for yourself out of self loathing. You have to love yourself enough to do good things for yourself.

Annette, I am so glad you shared your story with us. Having it all together so we can follow what you have done for yourself, your struggles and the learning that has happened through the process of your journey is so helpful and encouraging to me and I know others. We are all learning how to take care of ourselves, and you, my friend, are leading the way!!

Smart to get your clothes altered instead of buying new ones you are going to be too small for soon. I, too love the charity shops. It’s a good place to find transition clothes, during your weight loss, and plus I’m frugal(ok, cheap) 🙂 we were laughing just yesterday that we tend to hang on to things. My hubby has a dress shirt he wore in college more than 40 yrs ago. Does it show that we don’t get dressed up often??? 🙂

Hi Lori, hang in there sometimes it takes a while for the weight to start dropping, but your body shape changes. You will do this!
    Well, another novel it seems, I can get long winded. Hope it wasn’t TOO long. Sending you all wishes for a great weekend! Phyllis

Thanks for sharing your stories, Annette and Phyllis. The idea of trying to change what we do from a loving place within ourselves, rather than from self-loathing is so helpful. I might have posted this before but if you click on my name on the left, it will take you to my ‘Profile’, which gives some background about me.

I hope you have a good break, Lori. Are you having a break from the forum too? Keeping active sounds good and will no doubt suit you, Ms Bootcamper! When you wrote about keeping your food intake to the minimum, something popped in my head: maybe make a mental note, while on your holiday, of all the ways you are enjoying yourself which don’t involve eating. (Certainly some advice I could learn from, too, lol!) That might help avoid ‘the minimum’ turning to a feeling of deprivation?

I have had a good week. A friend came round this morning and we practised some of the Strength Exercises from the book. We did some in the garden – for the Vit D! – and some indoors – for the carpet!. It was a great help having someone read the instructions out; to check that my legs etc were in the right position; and that I wasn’t straining myself. We took turns being ‘gym teacher’ and ‘pupil’ 🙂

As part of my ‘induction’ into how to do the exes, so that I can do them without thinking, I have been in touch with someone who runs sessions in local parks. He seemed to have 2 different websites: one called ‘Group Fitness’ and the other ‘Bootcamps’. I thought they might be 2 separate approaches, so I asked him about them. His reply was that he started off calling them Group Fitness but that then ‘Bootcamp became the buzzword, so I changed it to that’. It amused me v much: the idea of pain and suffering, which, to me, the word Bootcamp implies, is obviously so much more marketable!! I’m not getting up at the crack of dawn, though, Lori. I shall go to his evening sessions. He offers a free first session, so I’m aiming to go to one next week. None of them are local, so it will involve a cycle ride, too, which should act as a good warm up.

I did 3 x 20 secs of fast exercise on the gym bike today. I duly logged it in my notebook but noticed I had set an aim for this week of doing it on tuesday, thursday and today. I can’t for the life of me remember whether I did it on thursday and forgot to log it, or just forgot to do it! (Who said fasting can improve mental sharpness? Ooops!) Ah well, next week I shall up it to 3 sessions of 3 x 20 secs. I shall put it in my diary, to avoid conveniently ‘forgetting’ again!

I have fasted twice this week, although one of those I was nearer 700 cals than 500. Since Tuesday, my 1st FD this week, I have logged my intake every day, more out of interest than trying to keep slavishly to numbers. I have eaten over my TDEE some days but much less on some others. I’ve eaten no sweets; cake nor biscuits, in marked contrast to last week 🙂 I shan’t weigh myself until I go back to Bath Uni, on 20th May. I want to focus on fasting and exercise for the 6 week programme I have set for myself. Because it’s short term, I feel I can do it.

Thanks for reading, all! (This is a bit of a saga, too, Phyllis!) Wishing you a worthwhile Sunday, everyone.

Bootsy I am with you on the 6 weeks of fasting and exercise. I have not done too well on my eat days this past week but am recommitting, starting with a fast day tomorrow.

Thank You All.
    Big news….drum roll…10st 4 lb! I have no idea if 1 day of no nuts had made the difference or it is 3 FD in a week or a combination of both, but I am thrilled. No inches lost but I have to tuck in my shirts into the jeans and keep hoisting them up when I am gardening.
    I went to bed cold, tired and early which is usually how I feel on a FD in the evening.I might try another x3 FD next week as I am still on holiday then, the lure of banishing the 2013 festive lbs is very attractive.
    I always cook a roast dinner on Sunday for us and now find that I am still full Monday am, so that is a usual FD.I might also ‘do’ Wednesday and Friday. Out with the girls on Thursday night and I had a look at the menu yesterday to see what the options were. I don’t fancy the starters, will have fish and chips for the main- a favourite of mine, and may refuse a pudding(a world first!)but we’ll see what happens at the time.
    21 lbs less of me now. Thrilled and off to buy that elusive necklace this afternoon! Must check my new TDEE………..

Congratulations Annette on your fabulous loss! How exciting to be shopping for your necklace today!

Bootsy…you are really getting in to the exercise! YAY! It is so important for our health. I like getting my boot camp workouts done early in the morning as I wind down as the day wears on and have no energy for a good workout in the evening. Funny how we are all different. Here it is Sunday morning and I was up at 4:30! My cat did have a bit to do with that, but I was awake before she gave me the signal!

I’m playing in a golf tournament today. My sister is still here, but she told me to go ahead and play in the tourn as she is wanting to have a nice walk on our local rail trail.

We had fun shopping yesterday. I bought a couple items that I’m quite happy with. We came home and Sis helped me pack for my trip. My suitcase is jammed! I only hope I can repack it for the trip home and get everything back in! While we were packing, I managed to cut my finger on my razor and now I’m having trouble even typing! Sigh…I should have wrapped it in a paper towel before putting it in a plastic bag, live and learn. I suppose my injury will be a good excuse for lousy golf today? LOL!

My fasting schedule will be totally disrupted this week. No fast tomorrow(Monday) as I have a dinner meeting. I’m going to fast Tuesday instead. I may just try to make Wednesday a very low calorie day instead of trying to fast 2 days in a row. Thursday morning I have to be in the car heading for the airport by 3:30AM! Early stand-up! My flight is at 6AM. I probably won’t sleep much Wednesday night as I’ll be afraid the alarm won’t go off. I’ll be looking at the clock every few minutes, no doubt.

Ok…time for a bit of breakfast and another cup of coffee. Have a lovely day!

Hi Bootsy Badger, so good to meet you! After reading your profile, I see that we have similar weight loss stories. I, too, can get carried away and get hung up on the numbers. 5:2 has helped with that, in the beginning I was getting too diet minded and actually not eating enough on my non fast days, but soon settled into a normal routine. Anxious to see how you progress, I know you will do well!

Anette!!!! Good for you!!! I knew that pound was a goner!!! Have fun shopping for your necklace, and wear it proudly!!

Lori, hope you enjoy you trip, and can get everything back in that suitcase. 🙂 enjoy your golf day with your sister, hope you don’t need that excuse, and that your finger heals up quickly.

Oh, my, all you energetic folks make me feel like a right slacker. 🙂 a workout for me is to clean house a little, cook a meal AND manage to do the dishes after. 🙂 I am impressed with all your resolve and hard work. Wishing you all a wonderful Sunday and a great week. Phyllis

Oh, Jzan sorry I missed your post! Hope you fast day is going well, and this next week is a great one!!! Phyllis

Hello fast friends,
    Walked into town on such a chilly day to buy the necklace. I had a good look at the jewellery from the same person and there is lots that I like, so plenty to choose from when I reach each goal. It is a silver heart on a silver chain with matching ear rings. I have it on and feel very pleased. To celebrate I had an Almond Croissant when I got home-delicious.
    Lori- ouch! Your poor finger. I hope the golf goes well and your finger stops hurting soon.
    BB I must get going with more running but the chill wind is putting me off. I watched the boat race yesterday and was going to take up rowing all evening. I think it looks like too much hard work and commitment. I do fancy tap dancing though!
    Phyllis, do not feel that you are a slacker. My house is a tip. I must go and sort the kitchen out before I start cooking.Onwards and downwards….

Viewing 50 posts - 1,601 through 1,650 (of 3,800 total)

You must be logged in to reply.